Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• frankwfrankw Member Posts: 22
    My OBXT now has about 1200 miles. I wouldn't call it a rattle but I hear very subtle, random "ticking" in the console area. I thought it might be CD cases bouncing off each other but it continued when I took them out. Your suggestion that it might be console panels rubbing sounds right.

For some reason I really enjoy driving the car more than I did the X5 that I traded. The word "nimble" comes to mind. I still want to get better tires eventually.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Factory installed HIDs with legal bulbs work very well. Most of the bad rap or standout factor comes from aftermarket HIDs and/or illegal bulbs. If HIDs are available for your car you will like them alot.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Tom: That is about the best "switcher" story I have heard. I am glad to hear that you made a sensible decision! I think a lot of people are in the same situation you were in with a big SUV.

--

I have gotten three kayaks on my Outback at once, a bike and a kayak on once occasion, and a kayak and a canoe on another occasion. No problem at all. Whenever possible, I try to run bow/stern ropes to the front and rear tow hooks as additional insurance. I don't think they are needed with a good rack system, but it's good to have an extra factor of safety.

Most of the time it's me and my one kayak. I find the Outback is an ideal boater car.

I have had kids and adults in the back seat, and never gotten complaints. I can see how it might be tight for big adults, but there is plenty of room for kids and smaller adults. Actually, I am 6'1" 235lb and I spent a couple hours in the back seat of my parent's Outback a couple of Christmas' ago with two other people in the seat. Not really a problem, and I noticed that you get a real cushy ride in the backseat. My parent's have an 00 Outback with the H4 engine and 5-speed, and it had no problems travelling through hills with 5 passengers.

Craig
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    being jealous of all you 05 owners! I am hoping the crash test results soften dealer pricing. Does anyone know the wheel offset and width of the OB and legacy?
    I was just looking at the 17" wheels on my XT, and the offset is 48mm. I assume the width is 7", that would make sense for 225 tires and it's the most common width for 17" wheels.

I still haven't sold my WRX yet, and am toying with swapping the tires and wheels over to the Outback, at least temporarily, to see how it affects handling. Onthe WRX, I have 225-45/WR-17 ultra high performance summer tires on 17x7 wheels with a 50mm offset. Bet that would transform the Outback quite a bit.... only downside is that the summer tires are noisy.

Craig
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Craig-
    the wheel width should be stamped on there too.

-Dave
    thanks for the response. I have 17x7.5 48mm offset wheels and I would like to mount them on the 05 legacy with 225/45's or on the OB (if wife wins) with a plus 0. Anyone try this yet?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I assume the width is 7"

That's what the Outback brochure says.

only downside is that the summer tires are noisy.

And you'll be loosing ground clearance, recording more miles and driving slower than indicated, which may not be bad anyway :-) I'm sure you knew all that anyway.

DaveM
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    When I was at the dealer yesterday, I had them examine the "click" sound that comes right before I come to a stop. The shop foreman believed it was being caused by a solenoid that engages the shift lock. They noticed that the latch which is activated by the solenoid wasn't lubricated and tried addressing it that way first. They also noticed that the screws which hold the center console were a bit loose so they tightened them down -- probably from the port installation of the subwoofer.

The click sound is somewhat diminished now, but not completely gone. It could be that I just have a noisy solenoid -- something that could be replaced on a future date. The subtle console "rubbing" noise, however seems to have disappeared.

Anyone notice that the GT brake pads seem to generate more dust than previous Subaru models? I don't know if it's the larger rotors, but I do notice that my wheels get dirtier sooner than with my Forester. It's not anywhere near European car brake dust, but noticeably more than before.

On my ride home, there is a long uphill where two lanes merge into one. A Miata was stopped next to me at the bottom of the hill last night and we just happened to start at the same time.

I had my LGT in SPORT mode and gave it a leisurely 1/3 throttle application and started up the hill. Well, the Miata driver somehow thought I was trying to race him up the hill and cut him off because he redlined in first and chirped his tires in 2nd. When I noticed the ruckus next to me, I felt bad and in a act of self-restraint, I backed off the throttle and let him cut in ahead of me. I couldn't help but to chuckle at the thought of what if I went to WOT.

Ken
    Still fighting the wife over OB/legacy. I use a tow hitch for my bikes and my next vehicle has to have a hitch. I don't see one offered for the legacy. Anyone fit an OB one?
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Don,

Check out etrailer.com. They have the hitches for the 05's starting at $140. I picked up a hitch for my 2000 from them, and it works great for the bike rack.

Mark
    Thanks Mark.
    I got my hitch for my wrx from them. I was surprised Subaru doesn't list one.
    Don
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by njswamplands:
    i am not past the angst. the test results speak for themselves. subaru even had a second chance.

i dont know what to add to the discussion so my posts on this have stopped but my angst lives on.
    I'm with you. According to the transcript of the Dateline July 25 broadcast, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5480632/
    With the fix, the head airbags work properly and the dummy's head is protected. But [IIHS President Brian] O'Neill says because of the car's design, the driver's torso takes a heavy blow, possible broken bones and organ damage.

If you were in a real world crash of this severity, you would not walk away,” says O’Neill. “You'd be hurt really badly.”
    That is not an option for my next car. I'd initially held back from buying a new Legacy or Outback due to the lack of amenities. I ended up being lucky and will await an SOA announcement that the Legacy/Outback front seat side airbags have been changed so they actually do protect the front row occupants.
    "Adding to the thrill-seeking pleasures is an available five-speed automatic transmission with manual ability teamed with a dual-mass flywheel that dampens torsional vibrations"

I thought the manual tranny used the dual-mass flywheel.

Positive review, though -- especially on the 5EAT.

Ken
  • rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    I should stop now. Indeed, I fully intend for this to be my last comment on this subject. I apologize to all of those who have had enough.

I'm not an engineering match for almost everyone - if not everyone - who has addressed this issue. But, I must be missing something here??

Granted, the IIHS test result is disturbing. But, doesn't the Toyota Camry recall, after the good rating from IIHS, suggest SOME caution and raise SOME questions about the test?

And, doesn't the comprative excellence of the Subarau in the NCAP tests count for anything??!! The Subaru outperformed EVERY car tested/listed by the Austalian NCAP. With 5 Stars, it surpassed these vehicles (all with dual front, side and head bags): Mercedees M class, Range Rover, Audi A4, BMW 3 class, Honda Accord Euro, Mazda 6, Passat and the Volvo S80. It also scored higher, in aggregate, than other 5 Star rated: Volvo S40 (2004), Volvo XC 90 and BMW X5. That is, scored higher in the same tests!! In most cases, the differences were in the front offset crashes. Should we be concerned about everyone of these cars that performed worse than the Subaru on the same, front/front offset crash tests? Shouldn't all of these vehicles be taken off everyone's lists, too?

Admiitedly, I'm a layperson - a historian by training and an organizer and political activist, by vocation and avocation So, I really am out of my depth on the engineering/science of this. But, I don't think I'm stupid. I AM concerned about the IIHS test and eagerly await tests on the wagons (Legacy and, especially, OB). But, if the Subaru out-scores/performs all of these other vehicles in the SAME tests...seems to me that this is important. The OB at least equalled or surpassed all of the vehicles, listed above, on the NCAP side impact test (which some have dismissed, in comparison to the IIHS test); and, it surpassed ALL of them on the front crash tests!

Seems to me that the TOTAL package re:safety is superior. Since I cannot choose how I'm going to be hit/crash should that ever happen, the NCAP tests, at least, suggest that one would be hard-pressed to find overall/total protection better than the Subaru.

OK, I'm done with this subject.

Peace.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Ken, I have found that the Bass Booster works pretty well for the low end sound. Most of the treble comes through my system pretty well. The same setting sounds pretty good through cheap headphones, too.

Best thing to do is just find a rather loud, monotonous song (rap would work :-) and play around with each setting. Every album has a different tone quality to start with, depending on what the audio engineers did to the original tunes.

I have to admit am having WAY too much fun with the OB, the iPod, and FM. (Does anyone speak in whole words these days?)

-KarenM-
    http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    FWIW, I may have even less engineering knowledge than you, and will say right up front that I would not permit this issue alone to stop me from buying the car. Frankly, I'm still somewhat more bothered by the braking issue that surfaced here recently.

That said, my concern is not how well Subaru performs *relative to other vehicles* in tests. My concern is whether the vehicle provides a sufficient level of real world side impact protection. To the extent the Aussie test would indicate that it does, so much the better. To the extent the IIHS test, and, in particular, the remarks of the official quoted above, indicate that the vehicle does not, that *has* to be seen as something of a negative IMO, unless one wants to dismiss a seemingly reputable testing body and its work--regardless of whether there are conflicting reports from elsewhere.

The other issue that I believe is at work here is that Subaru markets on safety--not as much as Volvo perhaps, but to a considerable extent. When a company creates expectations, it also can expect disappointment at the first sign those expectations may not be fulfilled.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Base 2.5i, Champagne Gold/Granite Grey

1. Nearly 4k miles, and nary a rattle or suspicious noise. Very quiet, comfy, nimble, and I still pinch myself every time I climb in!

2. Brake dust on the wheels is less now, so I am assuming the brakes will soon quit making a mess on my clear car :-)

3. No one yet makes an iPod dock connector for the Subaru-specific audio harness. Keep watching those boards, though, because they can't be far off. Adapters for other models are coming out every day. We've all caught the "Beemer bug".

4. MPG still creeping up. I averaged well over 27mpg on a mostly highway trip across town, about 80 miles round trip. Average mpg for these last 100 miles is up to around 24.3...not bad for mostly city driving. Probably would have been better had I discovered that nail in my left rear tire sooner...

5. Anyone else having problems with your headlights blinding oncoming traffic? I've been flashed several tmes (headlights, that is :-) I am certain folks think I have my brights on. I will have the dealer check those when I go in for another oil change (soon).

-KarenM-
    http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html

PS: on a funny side note: last night at a homeowners association meeting (I am a board member), we had a local police officer as a guest speaker talking about block watch, and specifically about watching for car thieves. In his attempt to make up an example, he said "Let's say there's this guy trying to steal a champagne gold SUV"...I had to blurt out loud, "Hey! Wait a minute...that's MY car!" Everyone in the room had a good chuckle out of that.
  • briancalgarybriancalgary Member Posts: 10
    Hi. I am seriously considering buying a Legacy/Outback, but one concern is VDC/ESP. TO get VDC, I should get a VDC model which is the mose expensive one. Does VDC really work even if it is AWD?

The VDC model of Outback has almost similar price tag with VW passat v6 GLX w/ 4Motion. How would you guys compare with VW passat?

I live in Calgary, Canada, and wehave tons of snowl, so I need little bit more og fround clearance. So I'm into outback turbo or VDC.

Thanks.

Brian
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "Granted, the IIHS test result is disturbing. But, doesn't the Toyota Camry recall, after the good rating from IIHS, suggest SOME caution and raise SOME questions about the test?"

rsorganize- Im not quite clear on what that sentence means. The recall of the Camry's side impact aibags seems to be incredibly similar in nature to the one that affected 140 early Legacies, and involved improper manufacture/installation. Certainly, the Camry that the IIHS tested with the optional Side Curtain airbags and accompanying seat mounted chest airbags, didnt suffer from any issue.

So what is exactly is the caution/concern that is raised?

The NCAP side impact tests are an incredibly good waste of money. The barrier that strikes the vehicle is closest in profile to an early 80s midsize, is non-deformable, AND NHTSA merits stars in the side impact WITHOUT factoring in Head Injury Criterion (HIC), even though that measure is taken. Basically, anything with a higher center of gravity (minivans, SUVs, p/u) get 5 stars. How is that a valid comparison?

~alpha
  • subie05subie05 Member Posts: 2
    Reply to #2759
    "I'm surprised the 2.5i's brakes are bigger than the Outback's, but the point above it valid - if it has enough power to lock the brakes, bigger rotors will primarily only help in reducing brake fade."

-juice

Though this post was sometime ago, I just wanted to respond:

Yes, larger rotors will primarily only help in reducing brake fade. But what about hauling full vehicle loads or towing, then the brake fade becomes much more of an issue when either braking normally or in an emergency. It is a shame that the Outbacks don't have the bigger brakes like the GT given the performance specs for the XT and 3.0 models. What was Subaru thinking when specing these vehicles for brakes that are more upscale, heavier, and just as powerful as the GT?

I also would take issue with the stock tires Subaru has choosen, i.e. Bridgestone Potenzas. Web searches on tire reviews like those on tirerack.com, will show that these tires are not well received by their owners for wear, handling on wet and snow covered surfaces.

These are the only major issues I can come up with (for now) that I'd like Subaru to address in future revisions.
    Let's be serious. The IIHS test also needs to be addressed by Subaru, especially if the brand is going to continue to tout its committment to safety. IMO, its not a deal stopper (obviously it wasnt for me), but it merits due attention.

Also, I have Bridgestone Potenzas on my Nissan Sentra 2.5, and I litterally have NO complaints. I actually think they are a great tire for the price, and in 28,000 miles, Ive had no wet handling/braking OR snow issues. The Pirelli P400s on our Camry are better, in fact I think they are the best non-performance tire going, but they are also more expensive.

~alpha
    As I have said many times before, there are numerous variations of the RE-92. The RE-92A on the 05 Outback (I own one now) have a high TW rating and are pretty good tires, as were the ones on my previous 02 Outback -- they had plenty of tread left at 45000miles and were great in rain and snow. For non-performance all season tires, I'd say they have been some of the best tires I have owned. No complaints at all.

Other variations of the RE-92, like the ones that came on my WRX, have a low TW rating and are not so good in the rain or snow once they wear down. These are probably the RE-92s that people are complaining about. They are OEM tires on numerous vehicles. I probably would not buy these tires.

So, be careful about making blanket statements regarding the RE-92 and the choice of tires on the Outback until you know which specific tire is involved! It's unfortunate that TireRack lumps all the RE-92 comments into one place -- it seems to mislead a lot of people.

Craig
    Brian, I think the 05 Outback compares quite favorably against the Passat. Outbacks have always been great cars, and they added a nice dose of styling for the 05 model that is as good as anything from VW (or Audi for that matter).

AWD will keep you out of trouble for the most part, especially if driven sensibly in foul weather. Having owned many Subarus and being a skier, I can say that the cars will soldier through some pretty rough winter weather without a sweat.

VDC gives you an extra margin of safety and stability, and I would consider it a great feature in those scenarios where things happen fast and you could potentially get in trouble (accident avoidance, etc..). VDC will detect any sort of yaw or deviation from the intended course, and do whatever it can to keep the car going straight and maintain stability.

If you want the untimate in safety and stability, get the VDC. If you just need a car capable of handling winter weather, any model will suffice.

BTW, different models and transmission combos have different types of AWD systems. They're all good in the snow, but have differences that affect handling and gas mileage on dry roads.

Craig
  • rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    I thought my point on the IIHS Camry test result was pretty obvious, but - then again - maybe not. I was wondering what to make of a test that apparently failed to detect a pretty significant model-wide (130,000 vehicles) problem/defect? I'm guessing that the tested vehicle(s) didn't show this problem. In the meantime, there are 130,000 Camry's out there with defective side air bags. If I'm missing or misinterpreting something, please enlighten me.

My overall point about the Australian NCAP test - which you seem to avoid with the reference to the 'waste of money'of the SIDE impact tests - was that Subaru outperformed everyone of those vehicles listed (and others) on the SAME front crash tests. Now, perhaps in comparison to the IIHS tests these, too, are 'an incredible waste of money'; but, the fact remains that there are direct comparisons available across vehicle lines and the Subaru outperforms every vehicle on these front crash tests. Seems significant too me....

So, again: while I AM concerned about the IIHS tests - and hope SoA makes changes on the Legacy sedans and other vehicles if necessary - (1)I would like to see what happens on the side-tests on the wagons, especially the OBs; and (2) why not show some appreciation for the comparative, top-rated performance of Subaru on FRONT crash tests? While there might be some dispute on what the NCAP side impact tets are worth, the NCAP front-crash tests suggest, to me at least, that - comparatively - there is no safer vehicle than the Subaru...in a front/front offset crash.

Peace, my friend.
  • subie05subie05 Member Posts: 2
    c_hunter,

Point taken. Admittedly, I do not have first hand experience with these tires (look forward to testing their performance with my 05 OB XT however). My assumptions were formed from reviews such as those on tirerack.com, but I have researched/purchased other tires based on reviews from such sites and have pretty much agreed with the majority. And, I was not aware of more than 2 variations of the RE-92. How many are there? Mine are the RE-92A also, so your experience with them gives me some comfort.

Thanks for the reply.
    I know of at least three different ones -- the ones on my 02 Outback, 05 Outback, and 03 WRX are all different. There are probably more.

I just happen to have a picture of the RE-92 on my 02 Outback:

Compare these to the 05 tire tread and you can see the difference. The sidewalls are different too, but I don't have a pic of that.

I sold the stock tires and wheels that came with my WRX, otherwise I'd go get a picture of those too!

Craig
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I agree with Craig. If you are worried about getting around in snow deeper than a few inches than I think the OB is a much better option. I had a Passat wagon (non-4motion) which had very little ground clearance. I was always scraping the mud flaps (one of which fell off!) I have driven VWs in the snow and they do quite well, but mind you it's always major roads and highways. I would guess you get a lot of snow up there which might get you stuck in a Passat.

The Passat is about to change also, so you'd be buying an 'old model'.

I had stability control in my last 2 cars and never activated it (in a useful situation) I'm sure it's good to have but as long as you're a careful driver you'll probably never use it (if you're not careful it won't save you either). It kicked in on me once while turning into traffic- it cut power causing a dangerous situation where I caused traffic to slow down. I wasn't happy about it. Technology can have it's disadvantages.

Good luck

tom
    I haven't had anyone flash their lights at me yet, although because these lights are bright and have a sharp cutoff (not unlike HIDs) if you're car is 'bouncing' up and down it may seem like you're flashing your lights to oncoming traffic. I have noticed this in other cars with projector beams (VW passats, Audis w/o HIDs) coming towards me and have been tempted to 'flash' them back too.

tom
  • briancalgarybriancalgary Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, Craig !!!

Would you please tell me the differences among transmission/AWD combinations of Legacy/outback? Or, if you have any link that explains this pretty well, let me know. Since we have more than enough snow here in Calgary, Canada, I am very much interested in Outback. But, fun/exciting driving is also one of major concerns.

Thank you so much.

Brian
  • buzzctbuzzct Member Posts: 5
    I LOVE my new 2.5 Outback wagon! But I'm finding one problem: the small side mirrors are causing blind spots on both sides of the car. I was wondering if I'm the only one experiencing the problem. (PS: This is my fourth Outback, and I've never had this problem before.)
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The differences in Suburu AWD systems are explained very well in their brochures and I assume also on the Suburu website but I can't remember.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Our '01 Forester's headlights also have a hard cut-off of light. I don't like it one bit. On dark country roads that have many hills and dips, you can find yourself in situations without any light at all—which is extremely dangerous.

In reasonably well-lit areas, this is not a problem, but on dark country roads it can be a real problem.

Bob
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Bolbo, I have long complained about this Edmunds policy to no avail... :(

Bob
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Although I think the policy is a little silly, as owners of this discussion group, Edmunds is free to set whatever rules they want. There is no such thing as "free speech" when you are using someone else's forum. You abide by their rules or you don't get to post. They may lose a few participants due to this but I'm sure the numbers would be too small to notice.
  • legacy191legacy191 Member Posts: 29
    Brian,

I agree with everything that has been written. Hopefully this will help you out. I've have owned three Legacy GT's and One WRX and I live in MPLS. And we see our fair share of snow in a given year. I have driven my friends cars with some form of VDC and they have driven my cars. When it all came down to it, VDC or VSC is nice to have but AWD (in my opinion) and common sense is the better choice..

Tony T
    One thing to consider is that although the Camry recall applies to 130,000 vehicles (approximately), not every one of those vehicles necessarily suffers from an issue with the side airbags. This would explain why the IIHS test did not detect the problem, as it did in the Subaru. This is the case in most recalls- not nearly all the vehicles recalled necessarily will experience the problem addressed in the recall, it is simply possible that those vehicles COULD experience the problem, and hence all are recalled.

I never addressed the Australian NCAP ratings in my post. My intention with respect to the US NCAP Side Impact test was to point out the serious deficiencies that exist and I think most would agree that neglecting to include the Head Injury Criterion information in the overall evaluation is a major oversight.

That the Legacy did well in Australian NCAP full frontal impacts is commendable, indeed. I was not debating that at all. You ask the question "why not show some appreciation for the comparative, top-rated performance of Subaru on FRONT crash tests?" Because my post was addressing the topic of areas for improvement of the Legacy/OB lines, as were several posts before mine. If you're at the top of the class in terms of frontal impacts, that does NOT represent an area for improvement. A "Marginal" rating in the IIHS side impact DOES.

For what its worth, your statement that "there is no safer vehicle than the Subaru...in a front/front offset crash" is somewhat incorrect as well, since the Honda Accord achieves a Double Five Star Rating in the US NCAP full frontal test, as well as a "Best Pick" from the IIHS. The Camry comes very close as well, and slots just a hair below the Legacy and Accord in frontal, as it did not get a Double Five from NCAP.

~alpha
  • safetyfirstsafetyfirst Member Posts: 14
    I have a Legacy i 2005, which I purchased three weeks ago. Amazingly, the black finish on the driver's inside door grip is *already* flaking off. There are little black specks everywhere. The silver below it is also peeling. Is this typical of Subarus? I will ask the dealer to fix it. I hope the dealer doesn't give me a hard time.
    Gee, we have not heard this one yet! I only have about 750 miles on my OB XT, which is probably not enough wear and tear to experience this problem if it is widespread. So for the moment, your case appears to be an isolated issue. Let's hope so!

Craig
    Here's a good discussion of the various AWD systems:

http://www.subaru.com/relay.jsp?sid=SILENG3&did=AWI

If you navigate through this, there is a screen describing the different types of Subaru AWD.

I have had Subarus with continuous AWD (5-spd models), active AWD (4EAT models), and VTD (5EAT models). They have all been great in my experience.

Craig
    I only have 850, so perhaps your day to peel is coming!
    It would be very very difficult for any testing facility to conduct a side impact crash test with both the striking barrier and the vehicle being tested in motion.

The test is hardly supposed to make consumers think "buy an SUV or die". Anyone with a reasonable degree of intelligence can see that the test is designed to show the benefits of a strong vehicle safety cage and side impact airbags which include head protection. Really, this is the IIHS forcing mfrs. to design safer cars, exactly what happened with the frontal offset (which was first used widely overseas).

FWIW, no consumer is ever FORCED to buy one product over another by the product's manufacturer.

~alpha
  • fkozilfkozil Member Posts: 65
    Just picked up an '05 Outback Wagon this Saturday... Champagne Opal with taupe cloth interior, just the basic Outback, no bells or whistles...

Wanted the 5 speed but got the 4 speed auto 'cause the wife can't drive stick...

With 100 miles on it, so far so good...
    Are you sure the dealer didn't put some sort of coating of protectant that is peeling off? I looked at my door handle and it is a rubberized plastic, no paint to peel off. But some of these dealer coatings may peel off.

Just a thought

tom
    Brian: Try checking out the link Craig posted and then come back with any specific questions. It would take quite a bit of writing on our part to describe all three types in detail.

buzzct: No problems with blindspots on my Legacy GT wagon so far.

bolbo: Many of us have been complaining about this policy, but like Bob writes, to no avail. I agree it's limiting.

safetyfirst: Like some others wrote, I don't believe the door handle grip is painted -- it's rubberized. I wonder if your dealer remembered to remove the plastic wrap before delivery. Or, maybe you did get a bad door trim. I'm sure the dealer would cover it under the B2B warranty.

Ken
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    As a veteran of Subaru's...well, I am on my second now, that is a great site that you posted.

I am looking to purchase in the '06 Model year. My 01 Limited is doing just fine, but would like the added power of the newer engines. My little 4EAT has a hard time merging/ downshifting during my 100 mile highway commute/day. (especially with the A/C on!)

FWIW- I think that I am siding with the VDC over the XT Ltd because of the smoothness of the engines. I would love a 6-speed on the H6 but that does not seem like an option any time soon.

I was under the impression that the 4EAT sent power to individual wheels, but seems that is only the case on the VDC.

I am an avid Consumer Reports reader and they have not broken down the reliability of the H6 over the 4. Any experiences with the H6 that new owners should be warned of?
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Some pics of my new wagon are in the "Subaru Crew: Photo Gallery" discussion. Finally got around to giving her a wash, clay bar, coat of Klasse AIO and installing the rack.

I was able to mount the crossbars for the rack back far enough that the front one is just over the back of the moonroof. I can even open the hatch with a bike on the roof! Woohoo!

Cheers!
    -Ian
    It's the "rubberized" feel that's flaking off. There is very, very smooth plastic underneath.