Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ace1000ace1000 Member Posts: 151
    I haven't been following this board for some time. Do people still need coupons to get the free maintenance?

If so, I have a coupon for the free 3 year maintenance on a 2005 Outback or Legacy purchased or leased between June 1 and September 30. The vehicle must have less than 7500 miles on the odometer at the time the coupon is submitted.

If you can use the coupon, e-mail your address to me at subarucoupon@hotmail.com. If I get more than one response over the next few days, I will do a random selection and mail the coupon to you.
  • moutbackmoutback Member Posts: 39
    Go with the 05. I had a 2000 Outback that I traded in for an 05 XT Ltd., and the cars are a world apart. Even though the differences between an 04 Bean and an 05 2.5i are fewer compared with the differences between an 04 2.5 and an 05 XT Ltd., the fundamental improvements with the 05 2.5i should tilt the scale in its favor. Others have spoken about these improvements, and I can only add that the styling, handling, transmission, and interior should be the decisive factors. I never drove an H6 until I test drove the 05 VDC, and, even though the 05 H6 is more powerful, I don't think you'll miss the 04 Bean's H6 over the 05 2.5i.

As far as new bugs with the 05, I don't think this is a significant "Con" at all.

Plus, I agree with another reply that you should think about the 05 2.5i Ltd. That price you got for the 04 Bean seems high--I've heard that dealers are parting with 04 Beans for under 25K, which should make the 2.5i Ltd. more competitive.

Good luck!
  • djo1djo1 Member Posts: 6
    DM,

Thanks, keep me posted. I am still in the break in period so am hoping it will go away after 1000 miles.

Dave
  • frankwfrankw Member Posts: 22
    I took my OBXT 5EAT a few miles east of Santa Fe on I25. I found a level stretch where the speed limit is 75 and there's very little traffic on Saturday morning (try that back East). I used an electronic digital stopwatch to measure 0-60 time. I let the transmission shift itself. I got about 8.2 seconds. This is worse than the Car and Driver result. The altitude at that point is over 7000 feet.

Notes: I started from the shoulder and moved into the right lane with the left turn signal on. There was no vehicle in sight when I started. There was no passenger.

Is this surprisingly slow? Or is it to be expected given the altitude and the non-rigorous methodology.

Frank
  • ryanl1ryanl1 Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for the write up.I really hate how C&D uses the "gotta have it factor" and "fun to drive" categories to buy swing votes.

In the March 2004 issue they did this to nudge the BMW 325i over the TL.I wonder if one can compare those numbers directly to these:

1. G35-211
    2. 325i-208
    3. TL -207
    4. IS300-190
    5. A4 3.0-189
    6. 9-3arc-174
    7. Jag X-172
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I have an appointment to get my GT wagon tinted next week.

Any suggestions on how dark I go? My wagon is silver. I'm debating if I want to go as dark as 20% again. Perhaps 35%.

Anyone have any opinions with Clearbra or equivalent rock chip protection films? I'm noticing that my bumper is starting to get small pits and a 1-2 chips from the highway construction debris in my area. The hood seems to be holding up fine. I think the bumper is softer so the paint doesn't hold up well to rocks.

I just don't know if $300-400 is worth getting some clear plastic sheet put on the bumper.

Ken
  • avizivaviziv Member Posts: 29
    Speaking of soft plastic - I already have some light scratches on the plastic that surrounds the stereo controls. I think that this panel is going to be scratched out before anything else. The other surfaces in the car look of higher quality. Just something to watch out for.

Avi
  • dmagoondmagoon Member Posts: 8
    Dave,

I'm at 4300 miles, so would advise not holding your breath.

DM
  • rsq798rsq798 Member Posts: 35
    I'm at 5600 miles and would also not advice holding your breath. But my feelings on this also tie in to my feelings about the pricing and the C&D review - I don't really care.

It's been three months and I'm out of the honeymoon phase (as measured by my reactions to careless scratches and the number of days since its last wash ;), I still love this car. I still look for reasons to drive and still feel good just getting into the car. I actually enjoy my daily commute more than ever, in fast or slow traffic. Even when I'm carpooling, I tend to mix appreciation of saving gas and mileage with a tinge of regret at not being able to drive.

As for the stuttering, I've decided that it is just a "characteristic" of the car and adapted around it. So, I just don't try to do heavy acceleration at low RPMs. No biggie, it's much more fun doing it at high RPMs anyway.

As for any dismay at the Legacy's selling at around invoice already, well, I would have been more disappointed if I had to pay MSRP than seeing other people get similar deals to mine. Besides, it's hard to maintain MSRP pricing in a company with a history of rebates and invoice pricing, and with a VIP program through which anybody who plans ahead can purchase at invoice anyway. I can understand fears that this may lead to lower resale down the road, but I'd rather lose more on a car that inspired me for five years than less on one that bored.

As for the C&D review, sure, it'd be nice to read glowing reviews to make you feel like you made the wise choice, but you can decide that on your own, and besides, then everybody'd be rushing out to buy the exact same car that you just bought. Coming from an Accord, I have to ask if that is what you really would want?

In short, I say don't worry about it, just enjoy it while you have it. And for anybody who's thinking about buying one, just do it already - you won't regret it.

Sorry about the length, it's late, and I'm done with my preaching.
  • frankwfrankw Member Posts: 22
    To clarify: when I said "this is worse than the Car and Driver result" I was referring to the 0-60 time in their road test of the Outback in the July issue--not to the more recent subjective (partly) comparison article.

Frank
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Two things I'll do with the Legacy GT, one of which will be immediate. Get an STi catless uppipe on there to boost power and low-RPM response, and get a remap when they become available. Any stuttering should be elimated.

And what's this about the XT getting more aggressive gearing (final and first three speeds). It isn't a rock crawler, and it doesn't have all that high of a tow rating. I would have figured the performance model would have gotten the most aggressive gears, or at least the same.

-B
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Who here has one?

Like to see pics of your GT in that color?

-Dave
    Dave,

Lots of photos over at Legacygt.com.

Ken
  • saywhatsaywhat Member Posts: 63
    I have a 05 Legacy GT with 800 miles on it. I have noticed that in between shifts, the car races almost like you put it in neutral for a second, especially if you goose it a bit and let off the gas while it is still in first. Has anyone else had this problem? Experience? By the way I'm a retired trailer truck driver who has driven just about everything ever made, so I do have some experience with different trannys. Thanks for your anticipated input.
    Thanks Ken :)

-Dave
    Craig,

I'm very interested in your decision process for the rack system. I need to carry 2 bikes, 2 sea kayaks and maybe other things as well and need to get set up at least for bikes in the next couple of weeks. This may not be an appropriate subject for this forum so you can send me email to improziv@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Avi
    I had a Legacy owner's moment today. We were invited to a get-together at our friends house. While we were there, I heard a group of people talking about cars. I overheard that person say "what I want to know is who owns that brand new Legacy GT wagon parked on the street".

It turned out that this fellow owned a 98 Legacy GT wagon in silver. It was nice to see another Legacy owner immediately recognize the newer model. Our vehicles were parked on opposite sides of the street. It was a interesting convergence of old meets new. And the evolution of the styling was so striking given that we both had silver GT wagons.

Ken
  • acbwacbw Member Posts: 2
    I've had my VDC for 1 month, put on almost 2000 miles, and love this vehicle. I graduated from a '00 OB Limited and agree with everything I've read regarding the improvement of the '05's from previous years. The performance isn't as "seat of the pants" as the XT's, but using the manual mode doesn't leave me wishing for more...well maybe a little bit! The seats are comfortable and supportive, close to the Volvo standard (wife has '04 XC90). The sun/moon roof has no equal, save a drop top. And is quieter when open than previous years. I have yet to use the trailer hitch, but have loaded it with luggage and my family, and while the tail dropped, the extra weight was never an issue. Economy has been a steady 18.1-18.4 around town, and the one trip on the highway yielded 24+ (car was till under 1000 miles).

Area's of improvement would start with the audio. I have not been impressed with this stereo system. Will we ever see another McIntosh in a Subie? The sound is OK at lower levels, but bass rapidly drops off with volume, and distortion is never far off. I would also like to see one touch up and down for (at least) the front 2 windows. There are more small conveniences I would have liked to see, but nothing compares to the stereo woes. That was part of the reason I picked the VDC.

I have enjoyed reading this forum for some time. This is my first post, and I can't agree enough with previous posts. If you are on the fence, buy this MY, you will not be disappointed. The good (both fun factor and confidence in product) far out way any gripes.
  • expy02expy02 Member Posts: 23
    Tom,

I have been trying unsuccessful to score a coupon. This is the second Subie we have purchased in 12 months. After spending almost $60K at the same dealer I would have expected some consideration but all my dealer will do is tell me to wait and see.

Ray
    I do! Send me your email address and I can send you some pictures.

Ray
    Thanks Ray

hypov at yahoo dot com

Again, Thanks :)

-Dave
  • ntk1ntk1 Member Posts: 57
    Dave and DM

It's interesting to see this topic come up again. I also have this problem and have mentioned it in earlier mails. I have a LGT MT with 2400 miles. I believe my engine stutter is actually getting worse and is very noticeable when cold. I regard this as a positive change as it will be easier to demonstrate to the dealer and hopefully get fixed. Due to the number of people with this problem, I have to believe that SOA is aware of it and will release a TSB soon (I suspect it is a sensor tolerance/engine mapping problem somewhere).
    Bob (RSQ) - I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you, it is not acceptable for a car to feel like it is mis-firing and running on 3 cylinders when attempting modest acceleration - I shouldn't have to scream the engine at max rpm to get the performance. Also FWIW, I have had a few occassions when the problem was not present and the car just flies - felt like someone had dropped another 50 horses under the hood !! That alone makes me determined to get it sorted out. My fall back plan if SOA are unable to resolve isto go to an after market tuner and get the ECU "chipped"

Pete
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I couldn't agree more on the audio -- the radios reduce bass as the volume is cranked up to avoid distortion. This makes the sound really flat when it gets loud.

One thing that will help is to add an amplifier, using a line-out-converter (LOC) from the radio's speaker level outs. You can adjust the gain on the LOC so that you stay in the lower "meaty" band of the radios output (before the bass gets damped out). Of course it's a lot of work, but I have had pretty good results doing this.

I'll probably stick with the stock radio for a while -- I still need to find an iPod solution and hook up the factory subwoofer I ordered!

Craig
    Avi, I'll tell you what I know about racks here since others may be interested. We can go offline for more specifics.

I used to sell Yakima and Thule racks many years ago in a canoe shop. I think they are both great systems, but got to like the Yakima stuff better for some reason. I've been buying Yakima stuff ever since.

For the 05 Outback wagon, I got Yakima LowRider towers ($129) and 48" crossbars. My previous ski, bike, and kayak attachments just transferred over from the old rack setup. I also had some Yakima SKS lock cores from my previous rack setup and transferred those over (4 cores to lock the towers, and 4 others for my ski and bike attachments).

The bike and kayak attachments you choose will probably be based on the type of bikes/forks/brakes you have and how you want to mount them. This is where it pays to talk to someone at a good bike or canoe shop who can recommend the best options based on their own experience.

I use a SteelHead mount for my mountain bike, which requires removal of the front wheel.

For the kayak (a plastic sea kayak) I use an older version of the Kayak Stacker, which is basically just a vertical tube agaist which you can stack a kayak or multiple kayaks. For one boat, I would probably buy the new HullRaiser cradle next time around. My dad uses one of the saddle type mounts for his kayak. If you look at all the options, you can probably tell which is the one for you!

Feel free to contact me at "craig dot hunter at cox dot net" if you have any questions.

BTW, bare crossbars make a lot howling noise on my XT, which can be solved by spiral wrapping a rope or bungie around the crossbars a few times. See this pic:

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/wrap.jpg

I only wrapped the front crossbar and it took care of the noise. I'm going to look for a black rope or bungie that will blend in better.

I have experienced this same noise on other vehicles, but not on my previous Outback. So something about the 05 makes more rack noise!

Craig
  • djo1djo1 Member Posts: 6
    Pete,

I agree. Probably a sensor/chip issue. I have had the same sensation when the hesitation is gone the car just pulls amazingly well, feels great, but makes the stutter that much more annoying. Email me if you have any luck with SOA or your dealer. My email is djowens@u.washington.edu. Thanks. Stay in touch maybe we can get if figured out. I still think the car is great despite this problem.

Dave
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    I got the Outback XT Ltd. in Atlantic Pearl Blue, and I am delighted with the color (get lots of compliments, too). In fact, overall I am delighted with the car. I just passed 1300 miles (60% highway, 30% rural back roads, 10% city) and my overall mileage is an impressive 24.582 mpg. The short shifter is tight and yet light on the touch.

I had some howling early with the crossbars, and I moved the front bar back about 6-8 inches--no more howling!

Has the stuttering I'm reading about happened to any Outback XT folks? For that matter, is there a thread just for the Outback XT anywhere?

Zman
    Yeah, I notice it too though it's not too bad in my case. I would expect SOA to offer a fix soon, since it is an obvious drivability issue. I am sure they can just tweak or reprogram the ECU for better bahavior under part-throttle. This seems like an obvious (therefore easy) thing to troubleshoot.

These are exactly the kinds of things that happen when there is a bug in the program or a scenario that is not modeled right.

Craig
  • acbwacbw Member Posts: 2
    Great info! I't's definately worth the work for me. Also, nice to see a fellow iPod user...sounds as though you've already investigated the line in situation on the head unit. I have a FM unit, but have never really been impressed. I was hoping to find an alternative solution, like RCA outs. If you find anything let me know.

BTW, which model do you have?

Andrew
    We have a bunch of iPod people here -- I have an Outback XT and a 3rd gen 10GB iPod.

I am attempting to get some of the antenna connectors needed to wire an RF modulator into the stereo (Subaru is using non-standard antenna connectors now). The only other solution would be to hijack the internal wiring in the stereo -- there is a ribbon cable going from the CD changer to the amplifier, which surely must contain the line level signal going into the amp. I think if we knew someone with an EE background, they could probably figure it out. Either that, or get the schematic for the radio...

Craig
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Is the stuttering a problem when downshifting or upshifting? I feel like my GT stutters from time to time if I choose the wrong gear, and double clutching helps some. I've never had a problem if I keep the revs above 3K, maybe 2.5K.

tom
    Ray, did you try

Subaru Crew: Official SOA Presence (aka Patti)

sometimes people who have extra coupons post here.

Good luck.

tom
    Ken, I put the 35% metallic on my car, but here in washington we can do front and back. In CA you can't do the front windows, right? I didn't want the ultra dark look, but I find the 35% metallic is enough to keep the heat from cooking my black leather seats! It's not too dark on the inside either. But maybe for your wagon the 20% would be better?

I waffled a lot on the clearbra, and in the end decided I could paint the front end of my car before I sold it for the $500-600 the places around here were charging, or lose $500-600 because of some chips in the paint. I didn't see it as a huge advantage, anyway.

I would like to get the lampguards for the headlights and foglights though.

tom
  • aussie outbackaussie outback Member Posts: 26
    Here is the link to a test of the 6MT 3.0R-B sedan/wagon that we get here in Australia.

Are you jealous yet?!! I might go in and check the trade-in price for my 3 month old OB 3.0R

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/09/07/FFXOFXAYSYD.html

Note: you might need to copy and paste the whole link above to make sure you get through to the right page

- Aussie Outback
  • aspringsteelaspringsteel Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anyone technical on this board would know the answer to my question.

If someone purchases the new Legacy with the normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine, would it be technically feasible to upgrade it to a turbo at a later date. I know Subaru would probably not do it. But just curious if you could buy the turbo, intercooler, etc and bolt them on. Or are there too many internal differences between the turbo and non-turbo engines too make this not possible.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The question is when will the H-6 be available here in the U.S. The lesser non-spec-B model H-6 with auto trans will be even more important here to compete with Audi, G35x, V50 T5, etc. My Passat W8 wagon will only be mine through its warranty period; the H6 Legacy wagon would seem to be a great replacement.

I wonder whether nav will be combined with the H-6 for a mid-year upgrade.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, Legacy had the best score for "powertrain", and that might be what matters to a lot of folks here.

Also, how can you give the TSX a 10 for Features when it lacks AWD? Yes, it's well equipped, but they didn't give Subaru any credit at all for that all-important feature.

Re-do the test in the snow (at least rain), and then get back to me. ;-)

Any how, the thing I completely disagree with is their review of the interiors. They felt the Volvo was trendy and called the Subaru plasticky. I found the Volvo plasticky, especially below the waist, and the Subaru a whole lot nicer.

The Subie also had the 2nd lowest price.

It wasn't a bad review overall, though. They sort of suggest Subaru has room to do a more stiffly sprung STi model, perhaps, with more features to boot.

-juice
  • aveskiaveski Member Posts: 7
    I have a maintenance coupon. Post you e-mail address so I can get your mailing address to get it to you.
  • tasdisrtasdisr Member Posts: 25
    Just wondering what kind of experience people have had with Subaru dealers service depts for both warranty and non warranty work. Thanks for
    any input.
  • jredmjredm Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in the Outback 3.0R Sedan, but was disappointed that VDC was not an option on the sedan, only for the wagon. The dealer said it was an option on last years sedan.

I currently drive a 4 wheel drive SUV and would like that extra level of control in certain situations. It’s too bad Subaru is eliminating this option on their vehicles when other manufactures are introducing some form of traction control on theirs (RAV4, CRV, Ford SUVs).
    93% of Outbacks are wagons, so they probably never sold more than a couple of VDC sedans neeways. ;-)

-juice
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    sduford: actually, you are incorrect. Only the XT Ltds are available in Canada. No base XTs. Instead, we have a base of the 3.0 VDC, called the 3.0R. However, I should have clarified that monotone is also available on the VDC 3.0R...did not mention because it is not on my hit list.
  • soonbaeksoonbaek Member Posts: 17
    aveski,

If expy02 does not take it, please send them to me! Many thanks.

expy02,

I'm not trying to steal your coupon... Getting in line just in case ;-)

Anyone else with extra coupon booklet?

Soon
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    My test drive of an LL Bean Outback was an epiphany. Terrific fit for our family. Believe it or not what's keeping me from pulling the trigger is the radio. While I'm not an audiophile, it's clear to even a tin ear like myself that the sound is thin. What are my aftermarket options? I'm also disappointed that satelite radio is not an option. Has anyone installed an aftermarket satelite system? Seems bizare that I might pass on a car because of the radio, but it is a key feature for my enjoyment of the vehicle.
    I would suggest adding the subwoofer/amp. I did, and it is certainly an improvement although still not a perfect solution. Getting a good balance of high/mid/lows is a struggle.

Good luck
    Avi
  • bruce3bruce3 Member Posts: 13
    Yakima Racks are very reuseable from one car to the next by just modifying spacings or at most getting new Q-clips. The steelhead is a very good bike carrier, but some disk brake bikes may not fit and you have to move up to a viper.
  • bruce3bruce3 Member Posts: 13
    Get the subwoofer it really helps alot.
    recuomo@optonline.net

Thanks!
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Last month I heard a news blurb on the radio that the Outback was considered one of the SUVs that was most apt to tip over. Can't remember the source but it was reported on New York's 1010 WINS. Not that I care about this because as far as I'm concerned all SUVs are a liability in this area if you drive it like a jerk.

Anyone know anything more about this? Found it hard to believe because most other SUVs appear to have much higher centers of gravity. And this is in spite of the Legacy engine having been lowered and the track widened. Curious.

I know this is old news, pardon me if it was already discussed.
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    I have some Subaru 16" steel wheels with 225/60/16 winters mounted on them for my mdy 00 Outback.

I believe the tire circ./diameter are almost equivalent to the stock 17" tires that come on the 05 Outback.

Anybody know if the steel wheels will fit (ie bolt pattern, clearing the calipers) on the new Outback? I know with the large brakes on the Legacy GT, it it is a no go.
    Try Crutchfield. I was looking for my Miata and found MP3 players for as little as $160-180, and that includes a harness for plug-and-play installation.

If you are going to upgrade, may as well go MP3.

designman: they rated the 2004 Outback (not the new 2005) as one the most likely to tip over in its class, but that's because they grouped it with cars.

Group it with trucks and it's actually among the better performers. Common sense if you ask me.

The info was outdated before it was even published, because that Outback is no longer sold.

-juice