Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    That's strange -- I thought all OBs would come that way. I guess they've made the factory tint an option.

If it were me, I'd get the factory tint since no film is ever going to be as good as the glass itself.

One thing I've noticed with the 05 Leg wagon/OB is that the side windows in the cargo area also have the black ceramic dots on the border. Unfortunately, window film doesn't adhere very well to these dots so the end result is a whitish ring in the rear windows -- something that wouldn't be a problem with factory tint.

Ken
    bruce3,

The GT runs a much higher boost turbo than the Volvos so that might explain the affect of mid-grade.

I'm also in CA and I only use 76 or Chevron gas. ARCO is tempting due to their low prices, but I don't trust their gas in a high performance engine.

Ken
    I'm one of those who this procedure doesn't seem to work. I've tried at least a dozen times now following the steps verbatim, but my chime keeps ringing...

Let me know if it works for you.

Ken
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I saw an OB with tint when I was at my dealer a few weeks ago. It's a port installed film and appears to be around 20%. Definitely darker than the 35% on my FXT.

-Dennis
    It's port-installed film or actual tinted glass? I thought it was the latter.

Ken
  • moutbackmoutback Member Posts: 39
    The Jan. 13, 2004 Subaru press release (concerning the classification of the Outback as a "light-duty truck") may have confused people when it referred to customers desiring "SUV-like features like dark-tinted side windows," but did not state that the new Legacys and Outbacks would offer such feature.

I've been told that tinting or privacy glass is not available for these cars at this time. I'm also told that my Outback XT Ltd. side windows come with a slight tint to achieve an 8.4 UV penetration level, but this is not the privacy glass that is equipped in SUVs.
  • avizivaviziv Member Posts: 29
    When I select the computer mode to show the current fuel consumption, the numbers vary greatly and very fast. They keep on jumping all over the place anywhere from 18-40 mpg during fairly stable driving. When I look at the Average MPG display, I see a number that makes total sense - about 22mpg at this time. I wonder it this "jumping around" of the instant read is normal or not? Not a big deal but a curiosity.

Avi
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    It is normal... current means just that.. at that very moment.. Even if you are accelerating only slightly, you are likely getting 15 MPG or less.. On my wife's car, any time the transmission downshifts out of top gear, the MPG immediately drops below 12.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• seagalseagal Member Posts: 1
    I have just spent too,too much time reading everyone's GREAT advice...just had my last test drive and going for the '05 OB LL Bean Wagon with Subwoofer today. I am so excited! Getting rid of my 1998, 95K SUV. Too big, too old. I was feeling really sad about it until I drove the OB. Does ANYONE still have one of those 3 yr.maintenance coupons left? It sounds too good to believe that I might land one.

So if anyone of this wonderful family wants to make this gal feel truly welcome, let me know. I'd be really thrilled.
  • dkaoydkaoy Member Posts: 2
    Whenever I'm just using fan w/o ac the air is quite warm, it's a lot warmer than the ambient temp. Does anyone experience that?
    We actually just covered that a few days ago. You just missed it.

Make sure the temp setting is dialed down all the way to 65 before running fan only. Otherwise, you'll be mixing in heat with any outside air.

Ken
  • mruebuschmruebusch Member Posts: 25
    Finally took delivery of my garnet red 05 legacy gt ltd yesterday and havent been able to stop smiling since. it rained hard this morning and the car made me smile more as i just motored to work like it was a sunny day....if i could just bottle that feeling...
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Congrats Seagal (which sea are you by?) and Michael on your new Subies!

I know what you mean about the smiles, I just stomp on the gas, hold on to the wheel and a huge grin appears. (It works for my kids too!)

Just watch the 4K during breaking (good luck- you'll need it!)

tom
    i think i'll just drive my car all the time til i'm over 1,000 miles then look out. my wife really drove it for the first time tonight and the she had a couple OF MY moments when the turbo spooled up...made her smile too and the kids laugh from the back...
  • ntk1ntk1 Member Posts: 57
    B

Yes the stuttering does occur at low engine speeds - starts at 1500 rpm and doesn't finish until about 4500 rpm. I fully agree with your view that a TSB should be released. (GT sedan MT)

Pete
  • ntk1ntk1 Member Posts: 57
    Bruce

Interesting info - I have always used top grade fuel and have not noticed any difference between suppliers (Shell, Mobil, Exon etc). I wonder what effect adding an octane booster to the fuel would have ? (BTW I live in Mass)

Other observations, stuttering is :-
    1)Much worse when engine is cold
    2)slightly worse going uphill
    3)slightly better going downhill
    4)is absent on a first pull away from exit ramp after a highway run of a few miles

Pete
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    I have a maintenance coupon which is for delivery before 9/30/04. If you are still interested, please e-mail me at ams8950@aol.com with your information so that I can get it to you.

I also have one which is for delivery before 11/1/04. The first one to reply at the above e-mail gets it.

Phil
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I had a friend who was a chemical engineer at a gas company. There are a limited number of refineries in the country so the companies 'trade' gas so each company doesn't have to have refineries everywhere. What this means is at any refinery he would watch arco, chevron, shell, 76, BP, etc. trucks all pull up to the same place and fill up! The only real difference is in the additives each company puts in the gas.
    So when you go from one company's gas to another, the gasoline itself is probably the same- just different detergents added (which can be a big difference also) but something to think about. ;-)

I haven't noticed any stuttering, and I've run nothing but 91 octane. The engine has no problems revving whether cold or hot, sunshine or rain. Maybe some people have faulty ECUs? I don't know just how widespread the problem is or if it's limited and your dealer just doesn't know how to deal with it yet (they're still new cars)

Hope you get it taken car of. It's a shame a car like this should have stuttering problems.

tom
  • jchujchu Member Posts: 18
    first time post a message at here but have read lot of good info and tips for awhile. thanks to everyone. had a 2001 OB SE2 and heard one of my friend in japan told me about how great OBXT in japan last year, when i saw 05 OBXT came out, just couldn’t wait to get a test drive and immediately felt what differences, WOW, the speed, cornering, ride, handling and definitely the looks of interior and exterior. returned leasing 2001 OB last month and got a OBXTLtd automatic with sport stick, robber mat, dim mirror, and paid for $30,690. now has 1800 miles on it and really enjoy playing with it everyday. just bought a armrest extension, haven’t put on yet, the instruction is for OB in japan, which behind the central console box is an ashtray not a cup holders. the new instruction is mailed by Subaru, lets see how it goes after installed.

john
  • jchujchu Member Posts: 18
    same at here. 91 octane all the time and no problem at all.

john
  • rjd111rjd111 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to have 11/01/04 Coupon Thanks rjd111
  • saywhatsaywhat Member Posts: 63
    I went to my Subaru dealer the other day about very warm air coming out of the vents with the temp at 65, and the AC off. The service manager and I tried everything under the sun to change it with no luck. He measured the air temp. with his termometer, and the air outside was 78, and the air coming out of the vents was 101!. Of course when you put the AC on, It's ok. But many, many times I don't want the AC on. I have never had a car that does this. My wife's new Forrester Turbo works fine, I think they have some real bad design and engineering going on here. He called the district rep. who also drives a 05 leg. GT. ltd., he also called Subaru of N. E,. Finally we had to call SOA, and they are supposed to come up with a solution in Japan. They will let my Service Manager know when they have solved the problem. SOA was given this web site and another one by me, and I made copies of all the complaints about this problem,and my service manager sent them to SOA in Japan. That's where the problem is supposed to be solved. Let's hope the solution is a real solution and not blah, blah, blah. If this cannot be fixed, then I would consider the car a lemon, and will seek a solution under the lemon laws of my state.
    It really works, try it. It worked for me the first time. I was skeptical too.
  • djo1djo1 Member Posts: 6
    saywhat,

I have the same issue with my 2005 legacy gt limited wagon. I tried the sequence suggest in a previous message (turn temp to 65 prior to turning off the a/c and sent vents to face) and it worked reasonably well for awhile then seemed to warm up over time, especially at slower speeds. Don't quite understand what's going on, but would like fresh air without the a/c cycling constantly. Let me know if a solution is found or if you need a letter written. My email is djowens@u.washington.edu

Dave
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Has anyone actually tried to use a coupon from someone else? Mine have my name and VIN printed right on them. I hope that doesn't make them unusable by another owner.

Just a thought....

-KarenM-
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The 3 coupons I gave away did not have my name on them. There was spaces for filling that out, as well as the VIN.

-Brian
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Has anyone actually tried to use a coupon from someone else? Mine have my name and VIN printed right on them. I hope that doesn't make them unusable by another owner.

They're not trading the actual maintenance coupons, they are trading the coupon to get the maintenance coupons! That coupon is blank, anybody can send it in. Once you receive your coupon booklet, it is specific to a VIN/owner.

Craig
  • avizivaviziv Member Posts: 29
    I can confirm this. I received the blank application form (coupon) from another member, filled in my info and sent it in. Yesterday I received in the mail the real Scheduled Maintaenance Plan Coupon Book, with my name and VIN printed. Folks - this works but you need the original promotional coupon-book "application" form - which many refer to as "the coupon".

Makes sense?
    Avi
    Aha! A little semantics problem :-)

-KarenM-
    Here are the latest review links on the 2005 Legacy and Outback models. Many of these links have been found here on this forum (thanks to all of you!), and some I stumbled across from other resources. Please feel free to send me more links, as well as corrections. Enjoy!

-KarenM-
    http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html
    Dave, the best thing that everyone can do is complain on this and every other forum. I write for a newspaper, and if this situation is not fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I will do a story about the whole situation. Let's see what happens. I don't think SOA will like the publicity that I will give them. On the other hand if they do the right thing, I will write a fantastic report on how they take care of their customers. Only time will tell. We will keep in touch on this forum, and I will keep everyone up to date on what is going on.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Thanks Karen. I think we should make you the official "Crew Librarian." :)

Bob
  • dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    I'm seriously considering an Outback or Legacy as my next vehicle, thanks to reading these boards, seeing the vehicle in person, etc. I'm a newbie to Subarus, so pardon my lack of knowledge.

Of the types of AWD available (Continuous, Active, or VTD), which is the best? Does one system have a distinct advantage over another, specifically in terms of traction (i.e. snow)

I only want an auto transmission, so I realize Continuous is out. I was considering either the 2.5 Limited Outback or the 3.0 R sedan.
    They're all good units, but I prefer the VTD/VDC models, in that they are slightly biased towards RWD, with a 45/55 default front-to-rear power bias.

All Subarus with 5-speed automatics (5EAT) have VTD, and Outback 3.0R VDC Limited wagons (not the sedan!) also include VDC (electronic stability control system) which offers an additional degree of safety.

Bob
  • needanewcarneedanewcar Member Posts: 3
    We need your advice! We are in our mid 50's and own a '04 TL. We are looking for a second car with more cargo space and like the all wheel drive concept for snow.
    We are looking at the '05 Forester and '05 Outback. The Forester has EXCELLENT crash test results and perfect reviews everywhere, but no side curtain air bags. The Outback, which has not had full crash tests, does have side curtain air bags. Also, The Forester is probably due for a face lift in '06 and the Outback is new (re: technology AND looks; for what that is worth).
    We would have no problem getting the Forester if we believed it was as safe. Safety as you can see for these two old people is a priority.

Your help is appreciated.
  • yulyul Member Posts: 1
    Am turning back my 2001 leased Forester with but 31,000 miles (4 years) I like the dealer but for 50 years know that I am always at a disadvantage in negotiating.
    My current lease is with Subaru. It had typed in 12,000 miles annual and I have proposed that my new lease should show 9,000 annual with a reduction in Cap cost. They tell me this "cannot be done". any ideas?
    Well still loving my GT but I noticed when I was washing it yesterday that the paint is rough. I have the garnet red and it feels like the paint has bumps throughout the car. Now is this normal for the color or the car,if anyone can answer this question I would appreciate it.
    Both the Forester and Outback are very safe vehicles. I would base your decision more on what features and/or space/comfort you need.

Bob
    They are all good in one way or another. I think the active AWD (on 4EAT models) is a step up from the continuous AWD (on 5MT models) in the sense that it can proactively transfer power fore/aft under acceleration and braking to maximize traction. Continuous AWD is fixed at 50% Front /50% Rear until something slips. However, active AWD maintains a nominal 90F/10R setting when you are cruising, so it behaves like FWD in terms of understeer and handling.

VTD is similar to active AWD in that it can intelligently transfer power proactively, but it has a nominal split something like 45F/55R or 35F/65R (can't remember for sure) so it has a rear drive bias which is better for handling and gives a sportier feel. I like VTD -- you can feel the car gradually transition into oversteer, and you can also steer with the throttle. Of course, this is for some extreme driving. In everyday driving you will just notice that the VTD car turns better than active AWD car when you push it a little. Active AWD tends to plow the front wheels when you make a hard turn.

Active AWD ought to give the best gas mileage under cruising (all else held equal) because it only sends enough power aft to offset driveline friction, thus minimizing AWD losses. Continuous AWD and VTD are always sending power aft so there are frictional losses to deal with.

In the snow, they are all good, especially since Subaru made a rear limited slip diff standard on the continuous AWD now. They will all react to slippage and maximize traction. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other in snow -- they each have minor plusses and minuses.

Does the 3.0R sedan have VDC?? That is one extra capability (stability control) on top of VTD.

Craig
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    There's a lot of variables at work in the Forester/Outback decision, but I'd agree that the "safety" issues between the two aren't significant. However, my feeling would be that, if safety is a primary consideration *and* the Outback suits your needs *and* any price difference (depending on model) isn't meaningful, why not get the model with the side curtain bags?

And I hope you're being facetious about mid-50s being "old." :)
    And I hope you're being facetious about mid-50s being "old." :)

Ditto that ! :)

Bob (59 going on 39)
    Try a claybar in one affected area, and see if it smoothes out the paint. If so, it is surface contamination.

I noticed my paint surface felt bumpy too, but it got smoother after I waxed the car. Still a little bumpy, but I am too lazy to clay the whole car. Many people swear by the clay bar to really make the car feel mirror smooth.

Craig
    Both are great cars, and you should be able to decide based on the look and feel, and the way they drive (they are very different in all those regards). The Outback will be closer to your TL in style and feel, but the Forester is much more fun and nimble to drive.

To address your concern: the Forester's regular side airbags go up higher than typical and offer head protection. So while there are not curtains, I think you will be protected just as well in the Forester (perhaps better).

As far as technology, I don't think there is much of a gap between the two cars. First, the current Outback platform was released in mid 2003 outside the US. And the current Forester was released in mid 2002 worldwide. So that's really only a year.

When we bought our 03 Forester in August of 02, I noticed many new design features from Subaru, including the painted-metallic interior styling theme, new exterior and interior styling elements, and the use of aluminum body panels in the hood, roof, and liftgate. Guess what?? These all showed up on the new Legacy and Outback. From my standpoint, the Forester is one year ahead of the Legacy/Outback (or they are one year behind) but the technology is the same.

Like I said, I would choose based on which car you like better after some thorough test drives. You really can't go wring with either in my experience.

Craig

ps: we have an 05 Outback and an 04 Acura TSX now, previously had an 02 Outback and an 03 Forester.
    Thanks for the info...is the claybar fairly easy to use. I looked up some info on the net or would I be better suited to let a professional do it. Also is this something Suabru should take care of and doesn anyone know will they.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Craig--interesting that you have the exact two cars that, if wishes were reality, would probably be in our garage. Could you comment on one thing for me--the driver's "comfort" in one vehicle vs. the other for road trips. When I drove the TSX, I was pretty impressed by the seat, leg room etc, and I've had no chance to experience the XT seat in the Outback, although I had mixed feelings about the one in the 2.5i. I know that this is pretty subjective due to body type, but I'd be interested in your thoughts even though in reality they are two different types of vehicles. Long term driving comfort is a big deal for us.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    They can't reduce the cap cost, because that is what the leasing company pays the dealer for the car... The dealer doesn't care how many miles you drive it, he has to sell it for the same price, either way.

If the leasing company offered a 9K annual mileage allowance, then they could raise the residual, giving you less depreciation to pay, and lowering your payment.

The lowest mileage allowance I've seen is 10K/yr, and maybe your dealer could find an independent leasing company that offers that... But, if the rest of the terms aren't as good, it may not save you any money..

If you are only driving 9K/yr, then buying the car may save you money in the long run, even though your monthly payment will be higher.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• needanewcarneedanewcar Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for your reply - how do you like your '05 Outback AND why did you choose it over an '05 Forester? Not to confuse things but were also considering an '05 TSX but would really like to have one auto that is awd!!! THANKS AGAIN!

Rosanne

(My son's car is collapsing and he is waiting for my hand me down, so I REALLY needanewcar!
    Well, the TSX has great seats and the interior is pretty comfortable to spend time in. Compared to the Outback XT (and the Legacy GT), however, the TSX rides stiffer and has more road noise (especially from the tires). So I'd have to say the Outback/Legacy would probably be better on long drives -- they are definitely smoother all around.

We haven't taken any really long trips with either car yet, but did drive to DC with the TSX (2.5 hours away). The car was fine, no complaints at all.

I do find the TSX seats to be more sculpted than the OB XT / Legacy GT seats. If I was any bigger, it may be a problem. As it is, they are just perfect. Interestingly, the seats in my OB XT, while much flatter and wider, have also been real comfortable.

Craig
    Rosanne, I really love my 05 Outback. It is the third Outback and 5th Subaru I have owned, and it is the best by far. I really feel like Subaru hit a homerun with this one (having an XT model is part of that -- the turbo engine is awesome).

I would have also considered a Forester XT, but have been partial to the Outback -- they have a big-car feel that you don't get in the Forester (of course that has plusses and minuses). In reality, the 05 Outback XT was replacing two cars -- my 03 WRX (mid life crisis car) and 02 LL Bean Outback. I am happy to say that it does a great job taking the place of those two very different cars.

Not to add more options, but you should also consider the Legacy GT wagon. It is closer to a TSX in handling and feel than the Outback. If you don't need the ground clearance of the Outback, the Legacy GT is actually a better choice in many cases.

Craig
  • k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    I test drove both an automatic and manual outback XT today. Amazing cars! It sure felt like the manual was much quicker. I know that automatics compromise performance, but I was surprised that the auto didn't seem to pull as hard as the manual. Have others also made this assessment when testing both? Also, is there a publication that compares acceleration times for the two?

Another question. I noticed that at 70 mph, the manual turned about 3000 RPM while the automatic was around 2600. Why then does the manual get better highway mileage?

Thanks