Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• frankwfrankw Member Posts: 22
    This is redundant with what I have said before here but it may be worth repeating. I traded a BMW X5 3.0 for an OBXT. The X5 has a published 60-0 distance of 117 feet. At first I was anxious that the Outback's brakes weren't strong enough. After having driven it for 3 months now I am quite satisfied with the braking.

Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, a 225mm wide tire fits? I'm shocked.

Still, 55 series is a lot taller than 45s. It might be too big in diameter to fit.

Mazda6 MPS will come as a sedan only. Mazda's site said 274 hp, but you can't ever believe them, they have routinely over-stated HP.

The good: HIDs, 18" rims, VSC, and 4 power up/down windows, plus the 6 speed.

The bad: no full-time AWD, 100/0 default power split and only up to 50/50, side mirrors still don't break away plus no turn signals in them. 2.3l might feel weaker off boost.

Still, competition improves the breed. I think it'll give the Legacy GT a run, but can't hope to match a Legacy STi.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Rosanne,

I think the brakes are fine, and are more than up to the task of reigning in the speed and acceleration I experience on my XT. The brakes are definitely better than the ones on my 02 Outback, for sure.

Get the XT if you are looking for a sports wagon flair with rip-snorting acceleration, and can live with the characteristics of a turbo engine. I feel like the XT was made just for me, it's like the Outback I have been looking for all my life!

The VDC's H6 engine will be a lot more relaxed and easier to live with than the H4 turbo. The H6 is also more refined than the H4. As much as I love the new H4 turbo engine, it definitely sounds a lot less refined than the H6 in my 02 Outback.

And of course, you get a few more luxury touches with the VDC and stability control.

I still think a test drive ought to help you decide, since the cars have a very different character. See which one you bond with more!

Craig
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    I have been debating between the XT 5MT and the VDC for weeks, but I wasn't planning to buy a new car until next spring when the lease on my 2001 Highlander expires.

This afternoon my wife and I went to the local Subaru dealer looking for a small car for her. When we got there, they had a monotone champagne Outback XT 5MT, and the salesman caught me drooling all over it while my wife was checking out the Imprezzas. I told him the car was exactly what I wanted but I couldn't buy one until the spring because of my lease.

Well he offered to buy back my lease and we ended up walking out of there the proud owners of not one , but two brand new 2005 Subarus! An Imprezza RS 5MT and an Outback XT Limited 5MT.

I'm taking delivery next Tuesday, my wife gets hers in about 3 weeks. I can't wait!
    Congratulations! Sounds like that worked out great for everyone! Did you get the charcoal interior or taupe? My XT is gold/charcoal, and I really like the combo.

Craig
  • needanewcar2needanewcar2 Member Posts: 23
    Thank you Frank, and thank you Craig, I will do just that.

Rosanne
    I also got the charcoal interior, I think it looks great!

My wife was quite impressed with the interior of the XT.
    I'd like to find a nice picture of an Ouback XT to use as my Windows desktop.

Does anyone know of a good place to find high quality Outback pictures?
    Do you have a digital camera?? Even a 2 megapixel (1600x1200) model will make a suitable desktop background for typical monitor resolutions. I used a larger, and slightly PhotoShopped version of this as my desktop for a while:

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/103-0320_IMG-01.jpg

One of these days, I'd like to take a similar pic of my new 05.

If you take your own pic, you get the benefit of looking at your own car, in a place you like!

Craig
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Thanks Aussie Outback!

Keep the H-6 reviews coming: I'll wager that the H-6 will be combined with a navigation system here to make a new premium model. The question is when. Next spring something may be needed to spike sales.

Juice,

The XT may sell better than the Bean and VDC primarily because of price. Subaru like VW is not yet (or ever?) a premium brand. My W8 Passat is an example of a failed up-market push. The W8 wagon at $39k is a near equivalent to an A6 Avant V8 at $56k.......but nobody cares!
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Here are some links to places for very nice photos of our vehicles:

http://media.subaru.com/
    - Select the model type and then look for the image downloads

http://www.subaru.co.jp/square/gallery/kabegami/legacy/index.html
    - Sized for desktop backgrounds

Ken
  • 63corvette63corvette Member Posts: 51
    Hello all. I have just purchased a new Outback Wagon, and would love to have one of these "magic" 3/36 Maintenance coupons, if anyone either has one or can tell me how to get one:-)

Thank you all so much. Very interesting and informative forum.

Garrett
  • aussie outbackaussie outback Member Posts: 26
    To quote your illustrious leader - "I misspoke".

Bob - you are right - the H6 Outback tyres here are 215/55x17.

My judgment suggests that it looks like a 225/55x17 would fit - but I couldn't guarantee it. There are a few millimetres to spare between the tyre tread and the tyre well (you would need an extra 5.5mm to make up for the increased profile, right?), plus about 10-20mm to spare between the cover that goes over the top of the well and the tyre itself.

It would probably be extremely tight. I wish I could be more accurate, but I wouldn't want to put you wrong.

- Aussie Outback
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Aussie

We had 225 sized tires here on the last generation Outback too, only they were (all) on 16" rims. A 225/60x16 would not fit in the spare tire well. I'm hoping they corrected that on the current model.

Only when someone here tries to fit one will we know for sure.

Bob
  • jtosejtose Member Posts: 2
    Four days ago I turned in my 01 LL Bean Outback for an 05 LL Bean Outback. My wife drives an 03 H-6 Outback Sedan. My 05 LL Bean is a dramatic improvement over the 01. I would make one suggestion to anyone who buys one and do as I did. My test drive before buying told me the car rode too rough and too stiffly and there was too much road noise. I had the dealer remove the stock Bridgestone Potenzas and had them put on the Michelin Hydroedge tires. My Beaner now rides like a limo and much quieter and actually handles better. The ride is almost plush. There is almost no road noise and most bumps are just not noticed. I did a lot of research before doing this and almost all Outback and Forester owners noticed a similar improvement over the stock Bridgestone tires.
    Congratulations on the new Bean!

I agree about the tires, too noisy.

CRaig
    Thanks for the report on ride-easing tires for the Bean. My test drive of a Bean on rough city streets was rougher than in a GT I had driven ten minutes earlier over the same streets.

Was it a problem to convince your dealer to make the swap? Or did you have to buy the Michelins?
  • rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    Thoughts are turning to winter here in WMass. (Actually, for my 13 year old skier...winter has never been out of his head!). Anyway, looking for ideas on the best winter tires for the '05 3.0R wagon.

Brief update on driving/ownership experience: nearly 10,000 miles (3 months!)...still a great pleasure to drive...quick, responsive, comfortable. Except drivers' seat. My biggest concern at purchase - besides VDC vs. XT Ltd. - was what felt like a narrow seat bottom, with the side supports. (Used to drive a Volvo.) No matter how much I move around, side supports dig into my legs. Just got a tempurpedic seat cushion that seems to do the trick, although it does lift me into a pretty high driving position. Other than that - great!

Mechanical/design/build problems: lights on stereo disappeared for 20 minutes - only once; drivers window goes down with an occasional 'rattle'; protruding 'hook' - holding the drivers' floor mat in place (what were they thinking!!??) - has broken off. That's it. Not much, really.

Also, no longer able to automatically get to this site. Now, I have to sign in each time. Anyone know why? How to avoid repeated sign-ins? Clicking 'remember on this computer' doesn't seem to work.

Peace.
    Apparently that login thing is a bug that is affecting may people. I think they are working on it.

So where do you guys ski?? I went to college in Springfield MA. In addition to hitting Vermont frequently (Sugarbush was my favorite), I skied a lot at Brodie Mtn (apparently closed for skiing?), ocassionally at Jiminy Peak, and actually had a Phys-Ed ski class at Mt. Tom (also closed I hear). I think I probably had some of the best skiing of my life at Brodie -- we'd get in a ton of runs there. They had a $10 Monday twilight deal that was perfect for us poor college students. Looking back, I must have spent all my money on lift tickets in those 4 years....

Craig
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I just purchased my first new car on Thursday, an Outback Limited auto.
    It is a beautiful car and rides well. It was built in April.
    Here are my issues:
    With 150 miles on it, the brake pads are scraping as I slow down. The rotors are getting grooved. It's like there is dirt stuck between the pads and rotors. I guess I have to bring it in.
    I am having a hard time adjusting to the hardness of the seats and the far away positioning of the steering wheel.
    Has anyone heard of a steering column being altered? They really should have made it telescope.
    The passenger seat is too low for tall people and needs height adjustment. I didn't want the turbo so I couldn't get the better seats.
    I was also thinking about getting a tempur-pedic cushion....

Also, is it normal for so much wind to be buffeted into the passenger compartment when the side window is open? Opening the back window helps a little sometimes. Will wind deflectors help?
    Craig:

Actually, we have season passes at Berkshire East - 25 minutes from our house. A really nice and challenging small ski area that is reasonably priced and with a more diverse clientele (at least economically)than the more expensive resorts in VT. We DO like Mt. Snow - though much more expensive and very crowded on weekends. My son likes Stowe and Okemo, too. I started skiing in my 50's, so I like the less crowded conditions of Berkshire East, though I like Mt. Snow a lot when it is less crowded. My son has raced at Jiminy (much up-scaled recently) and Brodie. Lot's of nice, smaller ske areas in WMass...with plenty of nice runs and smaller crowds. Great for kids...and old farts like me, too.

Did you go to Springfield College, AIC or WNEC?

Peace
    What a coincidence! We are considering the same car and have the same dilemma - VDC vs turbo - how did you decide and are you pleased? The seat problem alarms us - we too had a super comfortable S80 Volvo. Are the seats better on the turbo model?

Thanks for your help

Rosanne
    I also had the problem until I checked my profile and checked the box for the user agreement. I still do not always get the page with current active discussions listed.
    I'm really happy with the car. I decided in favor of the VDC, largely on the basis of safety...wanted to be at the front end of safety technology. Loved the acceleration and excitement of the XT (and had a 13 year old almost begging for it...thinking it would be his someday, I suppose)...but, in the end, safety (VDC) came first. The H6 is terrific - quick enough - in fact, FAST - and very smooth. Nicely designed cabin. Really happy with the car...enjoy driving it a lot.

Only thing is the seat, for me at least. I'm not particularly wide...maybe it's the way I sit when driving. The XT seat did, in fact, feel a bit wider. Took many test-drives, but never hundreds of miles worth to know for sure.

But, each of our bottoms (and, sitting-while-driving styles) are different, I suppose. I do think, however, that the cushion has made a difference. I got the Tempurpedic bottom cushion, but might get the full bottom-and-back cushion and give the seat-only one to my wife for her Forrester.

Volvo seats are defintely the best, but the Subaru package strikes me as comparable and, over time, should be a significantly better value - fewer and much less costly repairs.

So, total safety and smooth/quick engine might pull you toward the VDC. Smooth/quick H6 (but still safe): LL Bean - better seats, maybe, and nice interior (I also like the LL BEan green willow best of all OB colors). Excitement - go for the XT...seat might be better, too.

Peace.
    Thanks so much for you helpful reply - we were also considering the Forester - how do you like it in comparison to the Outback? My husband has an Acura TL and now we want a car with more cargo space and AWD (in our old age 50's)We truly appreciate any and all advice - must decide very soon! Old car is falling apart!

regards

R
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Garrett,

I have a free maintenance coupon for purchases before Sep 30. Email me your address at samiam_68@yahoo.com and I'll drop it in the mail.

Sam
  • poissonpoisson Member Posts: 49
    I too am looking for the free maintenance coupons if anyone has them. Much appreciated

(just bought an XT Limited - pick it up prior to 9/30).
    My wife really likes her 2003 Forester...it's height...visibility...great control/awd in bad weather. 35, 000 mi. and no problems - other than a rather short life for the OEM tires.

On the other hand, I much prefer the OB. I like the smoother and sportier ride, the handling, the more luxurious trappings. By comparison, I find the Forester ride more harsh. Space-wise, they are probably pretty close. Drive-wise, IMHO they are quite different, though we haven't driven the Forester turbo XT.

If you liked your Volvo and the TL, the OB could well be more appealing. The Forester is more like a SUV - though much smaller, safer and less ostentatious (?!). Someone once told me they thought of the Forester as a 'femme SUV'. My wife and other women friends with Foresters seem to concur.

Good luck. Peace.
    Ah, Berkshire East -- that's one place I never made it to but I knew a lot of locals that raved about it. Someday I am going on a tour of small NE ski areas and that will be on the list!

I agree about Mt. Snow -- a zoo on weekends, but it's a great mountain. I used to like skiing the Timberside area there.

I went to WNEC, graduated in 91 with a Mech. Eng. degree.

Craig
    Thanks so much for your time and interest. We will start test driving today, keeping in mind all your advice. We'll keep you posted (if it's OK with you)

Many thanks!!!
    R
    Yes, you have to keep us posted now that you've come this far!

Craig
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Stone chip. Holy cr@p! On the 3rd day of ownership of my 05 OB XT LTD, I get a stone chip which cracks my windshield! Luckily its small enough that the local glass shop says they can repair it by injecting resin. Unfortunately, it happened while rushing my 5 yr old son to the hospital. He was hit on the forehead with a hockey stick resulting in a gash about an inch long. Thankfully, he's OK...they used a special glue to seal the wound together.

Hesitation. I too am experiencing a hesitation, but must admit, it doesn't bother me too much. Hopefully, it will disappear with break in as it has for others.

Shock Sensor. Subaru shock sensor for the factory security is $188 + labour in Canada. DEI, which now owns most of the big names in auto security, offers its best shock sensor as an aftermarket add-on. Cost? $100 installed.

Hood/bug Deflector. I negotiated the inclusion of the the deflector installed when I bought my OB XT. Before delivery, the dealer called and said that they will not install it for fear that it may adversely impact air flow into the turbo intake. They said an official notice is out for the Imprezas, nothing official yet for Legacy/OB line. They deducted the value of the deflector from the purchase price. Anyone else hear this?

Today my XT is having Solar Guard metallic tint (charcoal, 22%). Hope to have a two-way auto start, and the shock sensor installed this week.

I also clayed and put 6 coats of polish on this weekend...the car looks amazing. Hope to post some pics soon.

sorry for the long post.

Jay.
    Hey Jay, where are you getting your Solar Guard installed?
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Unfortunately this will require registration, but it is a glowing review of the GT sedan:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48026-2004Sep24.ht- ml

I'm usually not a huge fan of the author's priorities, but IMO he writes well.
    I'd like to peruse what accessories are available for my new Outback XT. Are there any online or downloadable catalogs?

Thanks

Sylvain
  • meshmesh Member Posts: 20
    Would the XT be okay for towing a 1000 lb gw trailer or would the on-off nature of the turbo make it too unstable? Would the H6 have enough torque for high mountain (+5000') passes?
    Sylvain, using a local shop in Ottawa. Where you located?
    I'm in Ottawa too! Well, in the Gatineau hills.

Sylvain
  • jchujchu Member Posts: 18
    Peace,
    I have the same problem with the seat in my OBXTLtd. Where did you get the Tempurpedic bottom cushion? How much it?

Thanks.

John
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    it kicks the [expletive deleted] of some V-8s

Booyah!

mesh: 1000 lbs shouldn't be a problem at all, even for the base engine. I've hauled more with my '98 Forester.

-juice
    I got the cushion at Relax the Back. If there isn't one in your area, you might try some of the other stores that focus on similar products, like Healthy Back. R-T-B has an online 'store', too.

This cushion is very nice. But, like everything with the Tempurpedic brand name, it is rather expensive - $125. The full seat cushions - back/bottom - can run $200. Worth it in the large scheme of things; but, there are 'lesser' names that use heavy duty visco-foam, for a lot less money. For example, on ebay, there is a full cushion selling for $24 + s/h (bottom cushion for less, I would imagine). Might be worth a try, before spending $125-200.

So you have a similar problem with the XT Ltd.? Too bad. I thought the seat felt wider in my test drives. Maybe not...

Goo luck.

Peace
  • meshmesh Member Posts: 20
    Actually, my question had to do more with power delivery than power. I would really like to get the XT, but I've read that it's power delivery is a little abrupt or overzealous. I don't want to be towing a trailer in traffic and having to slam on the brakes every time the line moves up a few car lengths. I'm leaning towards the H6 but would much prefer the power of the XT when I'm not towing, if you know what I mean.
  • jchujchu Member Posts: 18
    Thanks Peace for the big help, I will try to find one that fit me.

John
    E-mail me at invest_sanAThotmailDOTcom.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I don't think you will have to worry too much about abrupt acceleration while towing a trailer. When the turbo kicks in it's not like a booster rocket! It's certainly a sudden rush of power but it's easily controllable. I also doubt you're likely to be rear-ending people because of the turbo (besides, you don't get significant boost until you're past 3K rpm- which most of us don't reach in heavy traffic)

Just drive them both- unless you spend most of your time towing trailers I wouldn't worry too much about how the car drives with a trailer and decide based on which car you enjoy driving more. ;-)

tom
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    along with the ultimate bang for the buck factor in the WRX would be a great replacement for my beloved Prelude Type SH in the unlikley event of it being stolen or what have you. But seeing that I'm getting married in less than a month, there'll be no new cars in the next few years:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Sounds like a hectic day! Glad your son is OK.

There are two hood deflector styles -- one is specially made for the turbo models.

This is the part for the turbo models (OB XT and Legacy GT): E231SAG200.

For the non-turbo models, get: E231SAG000.

List price is US$69 for both, should be able to get them online for about US$55.

Craig
  • katwaykatway Member Posts: 19
    My VDC has finally arrived and it was worth the wait (3 months). The car is fantastic. It exceeds my Volvo V70R in many ways. The fit and finish is well tailored. The acceleration is smooth and consistent. It handles terrific (much better than my Volvo) and its suspension conquers rough roads. The Garnet Red is a superb color giving the car a refined and sporty look. I'm looking forward to many years of ownership as the car has already exceeded my expectations.
    Cool! Congratulations!

Craig
  • moutbackmoutback Member Posts: 39
    I think Warren Brown of the Washington Post is a poor auto reviewer, and I don't think he's a good writer either. For example, he reviewed the 2005 Outback about a month ago (link below), and, while he gave a very good review of the Outback, most of his review centered on the advantages of crossovers and wagons over SUVs. In my view, he needs to focus more on the specifics on the cars he reviews, rather than using his column as a discourse on generalities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A38952-2004Aug27?languag- e=printer