Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Be aware of parts cost for the VW Passat..like over $100 for a pair of wiper blades! I dumped a Passat W8 wagon for reliability reasons when it was only two years old.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Ah, I like that "diamond gray" available in the XT, with black interior. But I bet it would show dirt/scratches/etc more than I like (I have been gravitating to lighter grays, silvers, golds recently).

Since I have been looking at the RDX, I have been real interested in the MPG. I would like the MPG of any future vehicle to be no worse than my OB XT, and hopefully better. My 05 XT is rated 19/24 (07 models are 20/26) and I generally get 21 MPG in my mixed driving (which is heavily highway biased). On long trips I will get 24 MPG. Though I rarely do heavy city driving, I used the trip meter to get the avg MPG on a recent all-city sprint, and it was 12-16 MPG. These numbers are more or less inline with MPG numbers the RDX trip computer reported during one of my test drives.

The XT will do better than 24 MPG at reasonable highway speeds. Unfortunately, around here the flow is in the 70-80 mph range (I usually cruise in the middle at 72-75).

I think the RDX is a little smoother and quieter than my XT, but does have a stiffer ride. The XT's ride is a bit wallowy. So the vehicles are on different sides of what can be considered smooth. Most of the time the XT is just fine, but occasionally I wish it were a little more composed on rough/irregular roads. Comes down to the classic ride/handling tradeoff. The RDX falls on one side of the line, the XT the other.

If you can wait until next spring/summer, the 08 Outbacks will have some new features and refreshed styling inside and out -- you can see it now on the current 07 models in Japan. It remains to be seen if we will get the same bumpers however; in the past, the US Outback/Legacy models have always gotten longer, more obtrusive bumpers, presumably to satisfy US crash requirements. Either way, it will look different than the 05-07 styling.

Personally, I am always on the lookout for the perfect vehicle, and it's been hard to find. The OB XT is close, but I would like better MPG and slightly better handling.

Craig
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Be aware of parts cost for the VW Passat..like over $100 for a pair of wiper blades! I dumped a Passat W8 wagon for reliability reasons when it was only two years old. Now that the aero wipers are available at places like autozone, they're only about $30 a pair for the OEM Bosch units.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Chiming in here, I think the most restrictive criteria you mention was reliability. Other than the OBXT I would not have much confidence in the other makes.

Personally, I really like the V70R. It's pricey but I love the boxy styling, the Volvo comfort and the fact that it has room. However, what made me go to the LGT Wagon this time around was reliability. If you go to any of the Volvo enthusiast forums, you'll see quite a few alarming reports about major repairs in the powertrain that surface above the usual complaints you hear.

In contrast, the 2005+ OB/Legacy really haven't had any major problems. My 2005 LGT has had 33K miles without any major unscheduled maintenance.

I think Craig's advice to wait for the 2008 is a great one. The only downside is that I don't think the 2008 will offer you any more room.

Ken
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I have an '04 Outback and '06 Legacy, each w/2.5L & AT. Difference is night & day. OB feels sluggish & the Legacy is very responsive. The improvements they made to that engine are great. After driving the Legacy for a day and then getting back into the OB, I had to check to see if I had left the parking brake on, it felt soo restrained in comparison.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Is it the engine, or weight of the vehicle? I am not a big spec's guy, but I thought the 00-04 OB's were a little on the chunky side compared to previous and current generations. I would think that a Legacy is lighter than an OB.

I never even drove a 2.5L in the new body style since I disliked the 98's power so much.

Karl
    In comparable trims (say 05 XT Ltd and 05 GT Ltd wagons with 5eat) the Outback is 75 lbs heavier. Not a lot, but that's like having an extra kid on board. Some of it is due to extra equipment, so it's not a perfect 1:1 comparison.

I believe both the OB and Legacy got lighter with the 05 redesign, so an older Outback and newer Legacy would have a bigger weight difference.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    I just took the opportunity to look at SoA's website for the 2007 lineup, and all I can say is what are they doing with their exterior colors?! There are almost no options and those that are available are, well, less than appealing for the most part. Bleah! Whoever is in charge of selecting the MY's color lineup should be slapped... repeatedly. What, did they hire Henry Ford? "You can have any color you want, as long as it is :sick: !" :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Craig says: Personally, I am always on the lookout for the perfect vehicle, and it's been hard to find. The OB XT is close, but I would like better MPG and slightly better handling. Um, Craig, you are supposed to solve this riddle! I am coming from a Saab 900SE with a good ergo interior, lots of room (2 mtn bikes and luggage - inside!) and very good highway power. So I want all that I have plus good gas mileage; apparently, as you disappointingly report, it does not exist.

The Audi A4 Avant 2.0T AT also comes close. It gets 22 and 30 with reports on the higher end of mileage (as opposed to the many reports on the RAV4 and OBXT under the EPA ratings). The Avant has great handling, ride and acceleration. You can get a cloth interior and CR recommends the A4 as it is average for repairs (not the case with the V70 or Saabs).

The Audi's downfalls are lack of huge luggage room (it is close to but less than the OB), little clearance, and a growl when accelerating (um, I don't cruise the strip anymore). I believe, it's price is comparable to the V70 and Sportcombi. Cloth/no sunroof and Leather/sunroof would go for around 31/32 with no tech toys. Lease rates are better than most other makes.

BTW, my Saab and new ones are noisy and the new ones (GM!) have poor reliability.
    the new ones (GM!) have poor reliability.

Hahaha... has Saab ever been known for anything but?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • blklgt05blklgt05 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a 05' LGT limited. If your car is stock, it shouldnt have rough idle; manual car gets a bit of idle when you get into first gear. Same as any other car.
    The clutch is good if you drive normally; if you launch it 50 times like i did, you'd be changing your clutch/flywheel/cover in your first 8,000mile(which i got for free from the dealer because of the goodwill policy).
    Subaru does have bad wheel bearings; most of the time is the rear. Your front dont go bad unless you have negative camber or you hit the curb or something. But if you check out the 05+ STI, their rim pattern is now 5x114 instead of 5x100. The reason why they changed to that is to lower the stress level on the bearings.
    Shifter problem can be fixed with a front shifter bushing + STI groupN tranny mount. After my tranny mount was on, every shift is smooth and weightless.
    WRX Seats are meant to keep you still i guess, so not really comfortable, the 06+ newer legacys have wider seats, and the new 07 specB has better leather too. I sat in one and its great. But, my current 05 lgt leather seats are still good and i have a bad back; so if im not complainig.. i dont see a reason for improvments.. but i guess subaru did it anyway.
    I think the only bad thing about the control is that the shifter gets in the way, other than that.. its alright.
    If you are going to laugh at your own jokes you might want to bother to them back up. Consumer Reports rates the 900/9-3 for '96 to '02 as average in reliability. While the 9-5 has had problems, I was talking about the 900. So yes, some Saabs were reliable. If you are defending GM, you walked into that one.

Or maybe you are dating yourself. In the late 70's and early 80s, many Saabs had tranny and turbo problems. By the late 80s and early 90s, those cars were rock solid. I had an '89 900S with 135K on it - original engine, tranny, turbo, etc. and that was typical. That was a great car - turbo fast, held 3 mtn. bikes inside, and got 30 mpg averaging 75 mph. There was and is no car like it.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Pre-GM Saabs were pretty reliable. My 85 900 had over 200k with the original turbo AND clutch (the 1st owner was all highway... salesperson). Newer ones are okay. All pretty spendy to repair though. Only Saab I'd buy now is a leftover Saabaru 9-2X.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I think Craig's advice to wait for the 2008 is a great one. The only downside is that I don't think the 2008 will offer you any more room

One of the Legacy wagon variants - the 2.5GT - may not re-appear for the 2008 model year, even though the sedan will still be available. The XT will be available though.

I would have preferred the Acura RDX, if I had a choice. It is a bit rich for my blood with current prices though and in comparison to other cars like the Legacy GT. Got to say that the handling is superb, though.
    No interest in defending GM - they bought a marginal company to start and are now working to assimilate it, thus destroying much of the identity it once had.

Judging by how poorly Saab vehicles hold their value, I would surmise the term "rock solid" applied to individual cars rather than models as a whole. You can love whatever car you prefer, but that does not make it the best car on the road.
    The A4 Avant is a nice model. I've always loved Audi's design but the only thing that has kept me from going their way is the fear of long term reliability and repair costs.

But if Subaru does drop the LGT wagon from it's line up, I may need to look elsewhere for my next car.

Ken
    My dad had a 900S from the early 90s (can't remember the exact model year). While the tranny and engine were fine, we did joke at the cheap construction of some interior parts. On the first day my dad took delivery of his 900S, the driver's visor as well as the glove compartment handle both snapped off. While it was an overall solid vehicle, it was strange how some parts were so solid, and others yet so fragile. We just joked that it was all the GM parts that failed prematurely.

But I digress...

Ken
    LOL on the premature GM parts.

Wesx, my term rock solid did not mean that the preGM 900s were similar to a Corolla in reliability. They were AVERAGE as Consumer Reports reported (not me). I just reported a great experience to back up CR. As Ken has pointed out, these cars did need a dermotologist but the engine, tranny, chassie, suspension and even electrical were quite dependable.

Saying there was no car like it does not mean that it was "the best car on the road." It means... that there was no other car like it.
  • rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    While not sure that I'm getting closer to clarity and a decision, lots of interesting and useful information. Good humor, too. Nice to be back in this forum.

Really like the A4. It was a 'finalist' when I bought the '05 VDC wagon. However, driver's seat was small-ish and the console really restricted my movment. Might look at it again.

OTOH, if $$ were no object, how do you feel about the A6 Avant? Or, BMW 3-series wagon. I know the dimensions, on the latter, are smallish - but, it 'fits' pretty nicely.

Peace.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "Be aware of parts cost for the VW Passat..like over $100 for a pair of wiper blades!"

This statement recalls me a joke.

Two new rich are talking. One boasts about his new Armani suit.
    "I paid $ 1000.00 for it!" - first exclaims.
    The other looks at him with pity an says:
    "I went to Milan and bought the same for 2000.00".

It is not my fault that you had been had. I bought a set at AutoZone for 25.00.

Krzys
    It is not my fault that you had been had. I bought a set at AutoZone for 25.00.

But they were not available at AutoZone in 2004 :cry:

Perhaps not every owner will be able to find the correct replacement bulbs for specially numbered tail lights, etc. that VW uses...No as an engineer I did not have a problem.

As a past owner of at least twelve VW and Audi cars over many decades I can authoritatively warn those who don't know what to expect. They are great to drive but a problem to own. My patience just ran out.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Really like the A4. It was a 'finalist' when I bought the '05 VDC wagon. However, driver's seat was small-ish and the console really restricted my movment. Might look at it again.

OTOH, if $$ were no object, how do you feel about the A6 Avant? Or, BMW 3-series wagon. I know the dimensions, on the latter, are smallish - but, it 'fits' pretty nicely.

I feel the new Audi grille is an immense step backwards. It looks odd now and I think it will age even worse.

The new BMW 3 series is attractive but the BMW AWD drivetrain just seems much too complex. And the dealers are very, very proud of them.

You're far under the radar screen with an H6 OBW; many dollars ahead; and performance is very good once you lose the stock tires.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't like the mouth-agape look on new Audis either. Plus the prices are creeping to ridiculous levels, go price a loaded A3. :surprise:

-juice
    The A6 Avant is nice, but doesn't quite have the character of an A4 Avant. If $$$ and reliability were not issues, I would also take a look at the Allroad. Wasn't Audi going to bring it back? There you have A6 Avant room but go-anywhere suspension/drivetrain and the ability to change the settings.

Ken
    I had been thinking about a low-mileage allroad. Any experience/chatter on reliability, etc.?

I must say that I think the A6 avant is one of the most striking vehicles I have seen - even with its snout. To each his/her own, I guess.

Juice, won't the A3 be as small, inside, as the A4?

Thanks.

Peace.
    I had been thinking about a low-mileage allroad. Any experience/chatter on reliability, etc.?

The earlier ones that used the 2.7 liter turbo engine will share the problems with that engine (discontinued by Audi with good reason).
    The 2005's seem to have the 2.7 turbo. Same engine...problems?
    AFIK that engine is now extinct. It was a smaller bore version (to permit thicker cylinder walls) of their old 2.8l. I can't remembeer details except that there were standard trans failures in A6 models that used the 2.7. The auto trans, if I remember correctly, was the same marginal one that was in my 2002 W8 Passat wagon. The A6 with 4.2 liter engine used a much heavier duty auto trans.

I would not want to own a vehicle with an engine that is out of production.

Any bargain price on an Allroad will probably be increased by high routine maintenance and eventual catastrophic failures.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Juice, won't the A3 be as small, inside, as the A4?

Actually, no, the A3 has a slightly larger interior than the A4. I (6', long legs) can sit in the back of our A3. Not so in the A4. The trunk in the A3 (with seats up) is pretty small though.
    Stay away from the 2.7T.

A lot of former S4 owners bought WRXs when those came out because of nightmarish issues with that engine.

Unless your best friend is an Audi mechanic or something.

-juice
    If you are comparing apples to apples - A3 to Avant, I believe the A4 is much roomier. I have sat in and driven both extensively and found the A3 very, very tight. In front, in back and in the cargo area. It is beautifully designed, more sporty inside and out and is faster but it feels claustrophobic to me, at 6-2 with a long torso. Also, I found the ride and torque steer were annoying in the A3.

RS, If you are thinking slightly used, is there such thing as a BMW 5 series AWD? (Not the piggy X5). The '01s and '02s 5 series were pre I drive, very reliable, have lots of room and are decently priced. I find 3 series beamers to be too snug. In any case, none of these cars will be as reliable or mountain cool as an OB. In general, I would probably only buy a Euro car new or lease it.

The biggest reason to get an A4 Avant is that the new Bond - Daniel Craig - drove an A4 with his mates in a uber hip gangster movie called Layer Cake. Very cool flick.
    An Audi was prominent in Ronin as well. They do good product placements.

-juice
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    I'm thinking Transporter 2. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

There was an Outback featured on the show "Trading Spouses", fairly prominently. They showed the owner driving in it more than a few times.

A Forester was actually the topic of converstation in the movie "In the Bedroom". A good flick if you haven't seen it.

-juice
    These movie references are too much! I'm humbled by my cultural ignorance.

Peace.
    Get Netflix. Pick any 3 movies in the planet, watch them when you feel like it or let them sit around for months with no late fees.

To Juice: There was a yellow hearse on Six Feet Under too. Maybe that might be the rig for RSOrganize.
    We have Netflix, love it. Just watched Sopranos on DVD last night.

That and TiVO. Hard to say which one I prefer.

How to bring this back on topic...hmm, oh, my kids watch DVDs on a laptop in the Subaru on road trips.

Boy that's a stretch! ;)

-juice
  • mike1944mike1944 Member Posts: 16
    I know juice has the answer,couldn't find it in the future models blog.

will VDC be offered on all legacy models in 2008,non-turbo in particular, and will any new engines be in the works that can significantly improve gas mileage. my 2005 GT is getting 15mpg in the city, is this correct for the turbo,seems pretty low.
    The 07 (ie, current) GT models added SI drive which bumps EPA ratings up a couple MPG compared to your 05.

If you are in heavy city driving and/or drive somewhat aggressively at low speeds, then 15mpg is not out of the question. Are you going by the trip meter or your own calculations?

I am hoping they offer 5EAT and VDC across the line on 08 -- Subaru is conspicuously delinquent in this area.

Craig
  • hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    Just got a rental Outback (long story, they forgot to keep my reservation for the mid-size car so they gave me the only thing they had on hand). On business trips, I would never ask for a wagon, but what the heck - nice change.

Its a 2006 model. First off, this thing is seriously underpowered. I was driving down California 1 south from San Francisco (its beautiful, mountain road by the sea) and overtaking manouvers through short passing zones were quite scary. Thats not the way it should be. I could see an oncoming car, the pedal was mashed to the floor and yet I cudnt just get this thing to move!!

Second, it has the worst slushbox I have seen till date. Part of this may be because it is a 4-speed. I own a stick shift but typically all rentals (mostly Camry's, Sonatas occassionally Altimas, Taurus') are autos but they dont seem to make too much fuss and just do their job in the background. I leave them in drive and they do their job.

But this one firstly hung on to the gears a bit too long and then at the slightest blip of the throttle downshifted. If you are on the highway doing 65 and then just dial in a little more gas to go to 70, it will downshift. For the first time ever, I had to use the manual mode throughout the drive because the inbuilt logic was terribly messed up. Or maybe its just that the engine is underpowered and there are only 4 gears so they went in for some aggressive gearing. Whatever be, end result I thought was quite pathetic.

Finally, I thought stering feedback was non-existant. In corners, there should be increasing resistance as you turn more and go faster. But there was absolutely no increase in resistance irrespective of how much you were turning. There was constant power assist which made for a very wierd and scary ride.

My impression - may be this is a good compromise for off roading (which I didnt test) plus on roading but I can think of many many other vehicles which do the same better. Hence the title, unimpressed.

ps. I know you Subaru heads are loyal and all (I have a colleague who is a Subaru fanatic) but this was just an honest opinion. I have never driven Subarus before and I have nothing for or against them. Just stated what I observed!!
    You should drive one of the higher end models -- it would have addressed most of your complaints. I have never been impressed with the performance of the base H4 engine and old 4-spd auto, but the higher end models have much more power, an updated 5-spd auto, and a RWD bias for better handling.

From what you described, you had the 4-spd auto in sport mode, which causes it to hold gears to higher RPM and downshift at the slightest throttle input. If you had it in normal mode, it would have done the opposite (which I don't necessarily like either). The transmissions have normal, sport, and manual modes. I presume you slid the lever past normal and into sport without knowing it.

Craig
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    My impression - may be this is a good compromise for off roading (which I didnt test) plus on roading but I can think of many many other vehicles which do the same better. Hence the title, unimpressed.

That's the point. It's a great compromise vehicle. A lot better than any SUV I've driven. Plenty of cars that do fine on the tarmac, but I wouldn't want them off road. What I really appreciate is the reasonable fuel mileage and the space you get with the Outback, plus you can go almost anywhere in them. Honestly, I can't think of a better vehicle that combines reasonable power, good fuel mileage, good handling (compared to an SUV) and a lot of room. The rental cars you mentioned are not bad. If you don't need AWD and some ground clearance any of them are decent vehicles (except the Ford), especially with the six. The Subaru turbo and H6 are nice, but for me the fuel economy is too low, and you need higher grade fuel.
    Second, it has the worst slushbox I have seen till date. Part of this may be because it is a 4-speed. I own a stick shift but typically all rentals (mostly Camry's, Sonatas occassionally Altimas, Taurus') are autos but they dont seem to make too much fuss and just do their job in the background. I leave them in drive and they do their job.

Interesting. The transmission is made by JATCO - who also makes several of the other auto transmissions mentioned.

If there was no steering feedback, the first thing to do is check tire pressure.

If you'll now excuse me, I'm now going to go rent a base model Toyota Celica and use it to haul several people and a bunch of gear up to a ski area. Then post about how unimpressed I am with the performance, steering, cargo capacity, bad weather capability, etc. Horses for courses....
  • mike1944mike1944 Member Posts: 16
    I've been driving a 2005 gt limited automatic since july 2004, one of the first out. on the day I picked it up I found myself hitting 100mph on the ny thruway without any indication the gt was traveling at that speed.no excessive noise,vibration,etc. I also drove a 2000 gt for 4 years, and it was not a rocket off the line, but i had no complaints, i bought it for the awd and the fuel efficiency, got the 2005 gt as my retirement present. What are you comparing it to?
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Maybe your daily driver can take you to Lake Tahoe on winter time without chains, give you 150,000 miles of reliable condition, 24 mpg, drive without the bulk associated to an SUV but with a higher view, and cost under 21k. You never mention it. But I agree with you: my next car is not going to be a Subaru. I'm thinking of a Cayenne Turbo (the normal one is too slow, it remembers me my 2.5i OB).
    When? Well, at my actual savings rate, maybe 2015. Until then, thanks god I have the OB. It'll keep me on track, not spending a lot on gas or maintenance. After buying the Cayenne, I'll spend the next 4 years of free maintainance and warranty, saving for the next OB, that is going to be the only car I'll afford after taking the big depreciation of my costly SUV.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I was wondering if anyone knew if the base Legacy wagon harness would support the Legacy Ltd heated mirrors (ie do I just need to replace the mirrors or is there more wiring involved)? This is one of the few options I miss. Do I even have to replace the whole mirror or just an element inside?
    Everything else has been plug and play so far, and I believe the mirrors are activated by the defrost button for the rear window or the defrost setting on the climate anyway, so I was wondering if these would be any different.
    Thanks
    Not sure about the new cars, but they used to have a separate control to turn the heated mirrors on/off.
    I was wondering if anyone knew if the base Legacy wagon harness would support the Legacy Ltd heated mirrors (ie do I just need to replace the mirrors or is there more wiring involved)? This is one of the few options I miss.
    There's no harness so you have to tap into the electrical system. Others have hooked a relay into the rear defroster harness so no additional dash switch is needed.

Apparently there are several types of mirrors available, including some that furl electrically sold JDM. Also the H6, XT, and GT have turn signals in the side mirrors.
    Located a 2004 A6 Avant with less than 5000 miles - no kidding! I believe the dealer when he says it was driven by a mother-in-law who took the train a lot. Can get it for less than $30,000 - CPO.

Any thoughts? Seems like '04 reliability is pretty good. I do about 35,000/year, so the CPO is great. Still, do not want to spend excessive time in the repair shop.

Down to Saab Sportcombi Aero and OB XT Ltd in the dark gray (nice!). Have to decide by the weekend - since the dealer is buying back my MDX this week.

Peace.
    Located a 2004 A6 Avant with less than 5000 miles - no kidding! I believe the dealer when he says it was driven by a mother-in-law who took the train a lot. Can get it for less than $30,000 - CPO.

It should be delightful to drive...comfort, handling and great looking. I'm surprised the price is not lower: A neighbor bought a 2005? Touareg with low miles recently for $26,000. They are comparable cars except the Touareg has a VW label and the utility of a (raised) wagon. The mpg of the A6 certainly would be better however!

Perhaps I should ask how much less than $30,000.