Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ismynamelindaismynamelinda Member Posts: 1
    My boyfriend has a 1988 300E, he would like to know the best replacement spark plugs for this car? He bought expensive :mad: ones but they don't seem to be the best for the car. The car is either a hard start or won't start at all. Thursday he had to take sand paper to the plug to get it to start. Then Friday morning it would not start :( again?? Any suggestions or ideas
  • bottomsuppbottomsupp Member Posts: 11
    Use BOSCH Supers (Copper plug)... (...come from factory with). Gap per Mercedes factory specs... Will run like a top. Ohm check your wires...
  • andy46andy46 Member Posts: 1
    95 E300 D glow plug light waits 30 sec to come on.
    also no sound on radio may be amp fuse, where is it located?
    can i use bio-fuel?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    When's the last time you changed the glow plugs? They need replacement every 2-3 years.

Radio is fused in the fuse box but might also have an in-line fuse behind the radio deck. A stereo shop may need pull the deck and check this if your fuse box looks okay. Check your owner's manual for location and number of the fuse.

Biodiesel: If you mean pump biodiesel, B100, I think you're fine. If you mean all that homemade stuff, you'll need to buy a conversion kit and various accessories. A big hassle.
  • youhoo211youhoo211 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a 2005 E500 on ebay and was just wondering if anyones purchased an extended warranty from any online sellers? Thnx.
  • blackbirdboyblackbirdboy Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1994 E320 8 months ago. The battery went out and I replaced it. Now the alarm will not disengage. Does anyone know how to reset it or do I have to take it to the dealer. I'm clearly frustrated about this.
    Look at

http://www.mbusa.com/care/warranty/extended-limited.do

Do not waste your $$$ on after market warranty... stay with MBUSA.
    Master key driver's door should disengage... if not... the box is located UNDER dash left side... there is a reset button located on box (about the same size as ipod) Good luck.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    Just wondering if any of you have looked at their 'true cost to own' figures for a used E-Class (say, 5 years old). As far as I can tell, they project at least $200 per month in maintenance & repair - apart from other ownership expenses. Is this true? Does this reflect your real-life experiences? :confuse:
  • beach_bumbeach_bum Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2004. Dealer(s) telling me the same thing. I did find out the pump is in the trunk on the passengers side. Not sure how to disconnect it yet. I believe there is an exchange valve in the seat. I found the air line under the seat. It goes up through the seat bottom. One of these days when I feel ambitious I'll remove the seat back and see what I can find. Right now I'm looking for a diagram of the seat or repair info.
  • merc7merc7 Member Posts: 2
    HELP PLEASE:

I just bought an E-420 year 1994. The air fan isn't blowing air, I am trying to get the problem fixed. Does anyone know where the 'blow motor fuse' is located. It is not in the box with the other fuses and the manual just state it is outside the box! Your help will be appreciated.
  • cfhcfh Member Posts: 2
    The blower motor fuse for my '88 300E is under the hood on the driver's side on top of the wheel. Accessable from under the hood. It's a black rectangular box with a clip that releases the cover. The fuse is actually a flat piece of metal that is inside the box and held in place by a screw.
  • merc7merc7 Member Posts: 2
    THANKS SO MUCH....I FOUND THE FUSE
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    (I posted this in the GL area but am doing so here as well. I assume the MB-tex interior is the same in all of vehicles)

My '08 GL with Macadamia MB-tex interior is experiencing severe discoloration on the seating surfaces. A friend who had the same interior on an '07 experienced the same problem, although I incorrectly assumed it was unique to his. Now another friend with an '08 model is having the same problem I am. In all cases, complaints to our dealers were met first with denial that there's any problem, then advice to use a dry cleaner strength solvent (which apparently is now difficult to obtain).

My dealer told me the problem is blue jeans. The rubbery nature of the seating surface apparently picks up the dye in the jeans, darkening the material. It's only taken 3 weeks for mine to look awful. This isn't from new, unwashed jeans either. Just my and my wife's regular duds that have been through the wash plenty of times.

I'm interested in hearing if any other owners are experiencing this problem. I think it should be considered a defect and a remedy should be provided at Mercedes' expense.
  • annemariee320annemariee320 Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a 1999 E320 estate. The display and control panel does not light up, does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a fuse or bulb, any idea of cost to get it fixed?
  • sylviassilvasylviassilva Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1994 Mercedez Benz E320 and I don't know how to open the Glove Box! Can anyone help?
    Square head master key... not round head key.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Does anyone know who the manufacturer is that supplies the OEM shocks to MB (specifically for the 2001 E class)? My E needs new shocks and rather than pay for the MB logo, I was hoping that my local mechanic could just pick up the shocks at a local supplier if we knew who the manufacturer is...
    ;) :confuse:
    You can't go wrong with Bilsteins.
    "KYB"... can't beat the cost... good for life.
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    My car has 52k miles on it. Recently I noticed that my rear brake light ( in the back windshield) is always on. Also when I keep the speed of 65 mph for about 3 minutes, I start to getting malfunction on ESP, ABS, and Brake Systems. Are the two problems related? I think this may be an electric or some sensor problems? Does anyone have this kind of problem before?
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    That's about right from my experience with my 03 E320. It's always something.
    Latest is the power seat switch for the seatback doesn't work. I'm sure that will be $350 or more to replace. Parts are outrageous. I use a local Mercedes mechanic (not dealer) but it's still expensive. I was having the same issue with my 97 BMW before I bought the MB. I would stick with Japanese.
    On my 2001 E320, I've experienced the warning lights for ESP, ABS, etc. 4-5 times around the 80-90K mile mark. They would come on while driving and would usually not be on the next time I started the car up. Some kind of a random gremlin. Hasn't happened in a year or so now and I've now got 104K on it. I'm starting to research my next car and it won't be a MB. Maybe an Asian brand..

:(
    Could be that your ABS sensors at the wheels are grunged up or have a rust film on them. Not sure on your car but on most cars they require a bit of digging and disassembly to get them off to clean them. I don't think this is related to the brake light however.
  • wingman9wingman9 Member Posts: 2
    I,ve just purchased a "92" 300E which seems to be in excellent shape.I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible. Is there anyone out there who knows why an oil change is so expensive. What should a do-it-yourselfer know? Are there more than one drain plug as in the Porsche? I'd appreciate any help here.
    use this link and scroll down to the "General" topics:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/DoItYourSelf
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I've had many M-B"s and have always used the dealer for service I use an oil change interval at one-half the recommended mileage (about 5k to 6kmi). Call me old school.

They use only Mobil One full synthetic and usually a special 0W-40 or 5W-30.

These engines have a capacity of 9 quarts (approx) and at $5/qt. that's $45 for oil.
    The M-B filter is another $10 plus about $5 in o-rings and seals. The rest is labor for a total of $95 plus tax.

Hope this helps.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I don't know how much oil the in-line 6 engine held back in 92. But the V-6 3.2 and V-8 4.3 hold about 8.5 quarts. Mercedes switched to Synthetic in a panic in 2001-2002 because the regular oil was not able to go to 10-15K that FSS was saying was the time to change the oil. The oil change in E-class is very easy. I even made a cut out in underbody plastic cover so I don't have to remove it every time I change the oil.

I still don't think synthetic oil is neccesary. To protect MB's 10-12K oil change interval claim, synthetic oil is required.

For your 92, I would go with Castrol or Mobile 5000 oil at $2.20-$2.50 a quart, and regular paper (not pleaded fiber) element oil filter at about $6. If you change your oil at 5Kmiles / 6months interval, you do not need Synthetic oil.

I much rather go with cheaper oil and shorter change interval than expensive oil and longer interval. Condensation and contaminants are not good to hang around in the oil, no matter how good the oil is.

People forget that MB sells cars all over the world. In third world countries, they don't have( or can affiord) synthetic oil. These expensive oils are for people in countries that can afford it.

Joe
  • pfentonpfenton Member Posts: 16
    I own a "93" MB SL 500 and my wife's car is a "98" MB ML-320. For years, I have
    gotten all oil changes (and filters) at "Grease Monkey" service centers. They offer
    professional, quick and efficient oil changes and lube jobs and are now located in
    28 states, Canada and even Mexico. I have never had a problem with this service. Obviously, I only use MB dealerships for any major repairs. The cost average is
    between $50-$70 only (depends on filter changes) as the labor cost is included in this service. Good luck!
  • sean28sean28 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if I put on new struts on my 91" 300E, is it mandatory to do an alignment at the same time? Anyone know? Thanks guys and/or girls..
    Not "mandatory" but advisable. If perchance during strut installation you knock the toe-in or toe-out around a bit, you could chew up a set of tires very quickly. I'd at least check the alignment if you haven't done so in a while. Here in California, a 4-wheel alignment done at a top notch shop is $105.
  • sean28sean28 Member Posts: 2
    THANKS! I appreciate you taking the time to pass that advice on to me!! Thank you!
  • contrarianjimcontrarianjim Member Posts: 2
    I bought my wife a 2003 E320 Wagon a year and a half ago. In this time frame (25,000 to 40,000 miles) the repair history has been unbelievable (numerous electrical problems, trans leak...adding up to significant cost & down time). The dealership service department is remarkably courteous & professional, and professional to the extent the entire staff will say absolutely nothing of a frank nature regarding the repair experience of E320's in general. Is there anyone out there who can tell me with some authority if my E320 is worth keeping? I usually keep a car a long time. I bought my daughter a 2004 Lexus RX330. While I am not overly pleased with the way it handles, the car is quite reliable and my wife likes it, suggesting that we might opt to trade the E320 for another Lexus. As for me, I have driven 3 Lincolns in a row that are among the best cars I've had. My '03 Town Car (40,000 miles) has never been in for repair. With good maintenance procedures we have gotten both american and foreign cars to well over 100,000 miles with very few problems. Not so with the E320. While I can't believe Mercedes can be in buisiness if our car is typical, I must wonder if our repair experience is typical after all. So tell me wise friends, is the E320 going to settle down and quit acting up? Is it a keeper?
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    When I was laboring over buying a 03 E320 or 2000-2002 E class, the MB service manager so politely said to stay away from 03-04. He said I was better off to go with 2000-2002 if I don't want to spend the money for a 2005 or newer.

I have been very happy with my 2001 E430. For two years and at 92K miles, it has been a great car.

The 2003-2008 E class is one of the most good looking four door car out there. It is just a shame that MB has so many nagging issues. No Japanese car will ever match MB's tight feel and impressive handling. The Lexus drives and feel soft, and there is a smooth and numbness to RX feel. Lexus for sure will stay reliable. Lexus also has better resale value. We have owned both RX300 and RX330.

I have no patience for luxury car that nickel and dimes me to death. If I were you, I would sell the MB and get a Lexus. If my MB gives constant headache, I will get rid of it. You don't buy a luxury car so you can spend high dollar on annoying issues.

Joe
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    MB's in general are not reflective of the problems that occur on many of the 2003-4 E class. This was a new model and it was not sorted out ---particularly the electronics. That is one reason I bought a preowned 2005 E320 CDI. Have been driving MB's since 1971 and now own #'s 19 & 20. My wife has a 2007 SLK350. I state all this as my present cars and the 18 before have never had a major problem. My current 2005 is loaded with all options available at the time and has had only a few minor glitches in almost four years. I plan to drive it indefinetly.
    My son has a 2006 E350 and has had only routine services.

Sorry that you are having these problems. They cost the Damlier-Benz CEO his job--altho I know this is not a help to you.
  • contrarianjimcontrarianjim Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to jodar96 and greasykid1 for input on my '03 E320 Wagon. I really appreciate it. We have decided not to replace the car for now and see what happens. My wife really likes it because she is short and does not have to climb up into it, as is the case with most other cars that have a cargo deck. Ideally, I would like to wait a while so that (1) we can see more evidence that '05 and later MBs are better quality and (2) perhaps find a used one for around $30K. Both goals may be achievable with a little patience.
  • seascapeseascape Member Posts: 8
    I am considering a certified 06 E350 with 16K miles and would like to ask your thought if I should purchase the extended warranty to cover another year or two on top of the CPO standard one year (100K) warranty.
  • mrpmrp Member Posts: 10
    Hello...I am new to this board. Would anyone know how to adjust the analog clock on the 2008 E350 dashboard? Thanks for the help.
  • snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    :)

Aren't there instructions in your owners manual? :confuse:

:surprise:
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    If it's the same as my '07 wagon:

hit the svc button
    hit settings
    hit time
    use right up,down arrow on knob to change hour
    then hit ok.

Wa La.
  • mrpmrp Member Posts: 10
    Snaglepus...no, nothing on the clock in the manual.

Rockypaul...I did exactly as you said. It is easy to do the change on the command system as you mention, but it doesn't change the analog clock on the dash. Also, once I turn the car off and then back on the change I made on the command system also reverts back to the wrong time again. Weird. Any other ideas anyone? Is it just malfunctioning?

Thanks.
  • ajusticeajustice Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 E500 and intermittly have a problem with my radio. It increases the output level with static and will not allow me to change stations or turn the radio off. to shut the radio off, I have to shut the car off and restart the car to correct the problem.
  • davexpertdavexpert Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I am thinking about getting a 2000-2001 E430 4Matic - ideally something that's had one owner and probably has between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. My simple question is, would I be crazy to do this?

First, a little bit about me... I have always been in love Mercedes cars since my dad had a turbo diesel in the mid 80s. (Probably my favorite car ever for various reasons.) I am in my mid 30s and have a family - including two small kids and one on the way. My wife drives a large SUV crossover, which is what we normally drive when all of us are together. So, my car is mainly for my personal use -- the majority of it spent in my 5-day-a-week, 40-mile round trip commute to and from work. (Mostly highway miles.) I have a professional job that requires me to entertain (and impress) clients and prospective clients on occassion, so I need something with some "image" -- as superficial as that sounds. I live in St. Louis, MO - so while our winters are not as bad as they are in the northern states, we do get our share of snow and ice. This winter, we had about 10 days that were difficult driving conditions - 2 of them absolutely horrible. I also live on a hill. So, I do need something that can handle weather. (I actually had to walk about a half mile in swirling snow carring my 3-yr-old daughter because my current car couldn't make the climb. Never again.)

Maybe you're asking why a nearly 8 year old car, then? Mainly, I'm trying to remain budget conscious in these uncertain economic times... getting something within my means - while being able to enjoy the benefits of a well-made luxury car. In my research so far on my needs -- and my wants -- this seems like an option.

As I am a few months away from actually purchasing one... I'm trying to focus on what would be the likely cost of ownership and maintenance environment of something like this. Would it be a reliable car that can run and run as long as it is maintained with routine "grooming" and careful driving? Or this car at this age be ready to hit a spat of serious maintenance issues and be prone for many expensive trips to to the shop?

To that end, as I scout potential sellers in my area... what kinds of things should I be on the lookout for - regarding maintenance? Are there any tell-tale signs that the car is due for some expensive replacements, or other issues? Or is just really the luck of the dice?

Thanks. I really appreciate any insight you can share and your candid responses.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    A 4Matic is definitely going to cost more to maintain and repair. I would get a 2 wheel drive and invest in a set of winter wheels and 4 good snow tires for winter. Also that would also give you better mpg. As far as maintenace goes,insist on service records and that they are up to date. After I bought the car I would have ALL the fluids changed. If you can, get a Certified Car from an MB dealer.
    I believe that this would be a good start. Have been driving MB's since 1971 so I have had a little experience with them. After you find your car I would also join the MBCA as they have an excellent bi-monthly magazine which often features excellent tech articles. Lastly I would take my time and look for a car with closer to 50,000mi. on it. If you are patient you can find them. The MBUSA site has an excellent search program for preowned cars.
  • ace18ace18 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 97 e300 diesel. The car has 91,000 miles on it, one owner and has been flawlessly maintained. I need information concering reliability, problems, fuel mileage and maintainence associated with these cars. I currently own a BMW 7 series and it has been an excellent car (230,000 miles) but it's time to move on to something newer/cleaner. I was hell bent on buying another BMW until I found this car at a local Mercedes dealership. Can someone help, Thanks
    Fuel economy should be about 28 mpg averaged out city and highway.

Reliability is typical Mercedes "iffy" but on a well maintained car probably okay. Certainly you'd want the car thoroughly checked out before you buy it.

Performance is modest but acceptable.

If you survived a BMW 7 series, you may be the man for this car---you have good luck!
    ;)
  • dasomdamindasomdamin Member Posts: 1
    Do I need to erased codes in A/C control unit before recharging it.
    Freon is not going through after 50 PSI.
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    Hello.
    I've got my car brand new 1 month ago and since that time ( 1200 miles) I changed two tires already. One - because i got pat whole, another was flat - not reparable. My mechanic says it's because sport package tires very gentle and sensitive. Does anybody else have this problem too ? I got tire insurance, so I hope they will pay me back my $270 I spent for second tire. Thanks for reply anybody.
    Just found out that one of the front springs on my 2001 E320 has failed at the last turn of the coil. I have tried searching for replacements on the web but have had no luck. Does anyone know of a source for OEM equivalent or OEM front springs other than a local MB dealer? :(
  • snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    :)

How do you know that they have failed? :confuse:

:D