Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    Hey Verveka!
    Keep on ramblin'! I like your story. I remember over a year ago I made my list of potential cars that I was interested in and rated them to my subjective tastes. I was surprised, that to me, in all categories the Amanti was always ahead of my other choices, ( ...a Kia??). However, I was really sold when I test drove it. I found that interior as unbeatable and could not imagine myself liking any other car as much. By the way, mine is the same color as yours, also with the moonroof.
    Reliability has been great (knock on wood!) and the warranty as you mentioned is very strong. I, too have gotten used to the styling and although it's not as sleek as some competitors, it is to me now a very beautiful, classic looking car.
    I agree with your thought about our little secret, although having said that, Kia had better sell enough of these or there won't be any future Amanti's to buy.
    -Pete Sarasota FL
  • stockchaserstockchaser Member Posts: 56
    Yesterday (Sunday) as I looked at the large ad by one of the Phoenix area's biggest KIA dealers boasting of over 270 new KIAs in stock, I noticed the Amanti was not pictured.....not even mentioned....
    So, I wonder why. I know up to now, with 2005 one-fourth over, the only Amanti ads I've actually seen were for "all new" 2004's (that was only last week!)
    http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-news/25-int/10643/

According to the above website, Amanti sales (2005) are up over 17% compared to last year. Kia sales in general were also strong across the board.
    I, too wondered about similar ads I've locally seen concerning the Amanti. But the above website indicates otherwise. I think that Amanti sales are snowballing.
    Hope that helps a little!
    Pete -Sarasota
  • billh6billh6 Member Posts: 123
    Also in the Central Florida area (the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper) there are 4 Kia dealers and the two biggest ones that have ads in the Sat. paper always have 2004 Amantis. I have worried about this myself. At least they are now saying 7 in stock instead of 21.
    Bill
  • bdowneybdowney Member Posts: 1
    Considering a new 04 Amanti, hesitant because of the name Kia. Have you had your car long enough to establish a track record as to service. Is there anyone out there that has high millage on one that can verify their dependability. I presently own a Avalon with 120,000 miles and normally keep a car for 8 to 10 years. I have taken a test drive and like all I have seen about the Amanti, styling,driving,luxury,handling etc. Thanks for your help and the help of anyone willing to reply.
    bdowney
  • neikineiki Member Posts: 1
    Could someone please help me to unravel the mysterious strategy for Amanti 2005 sales (at least, the case in the Tri-state area)? For the whole last three weeks I have been trying in vain to make a straightforward cash purchase of ANY black fully-loaded Amanti: any year. But they just will not sell!!! All dealers I contacted (the primary point of contact is Major KIA in NYC) made humble references to the fact that 2005 Amantis will not be offered for sale before the remnants of the 2004 stock are fully depleted. What if it happens by the end of the year?! Does KIA America pay really any attention to how Amanti sales are organised in the Tri-state area? Or is it a corporate strategy?
    I feel really sorry for myself for having encountered this story 'out of this world' and I feel sorry for the makers of this wonderful and impressive car whose creation gets into the not so caring hands of innovative marketeers. One may say I overexaggerate but let us think about it: KIA is thinking about bringing into the New York market its 2005 cars when other companies will soon start selling their 2006 models... Isn't it a disgrace? :mad: :cry: :sick:
  • rgurrgur Member Posts: 4
    I posted #650 and told you that the engine problem I had was a "gel pack" that they replaced. Well, my mistake, when I had my oil changed today I checked and found out it was a "coil pack" on the cylinder. I haven't had any problems since they replaced it. The car runs great!
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Does anyone here think that the Kia Amanti should have been included in the recent Edmunds Large Sedan Comparison Test?
    First let me start by thanking Larry (message number 675). After reading your message about the suspension, I contacted my dealer, who directed me to Kia of America. They confirmed the TSB and helped me to set up an appointment. Today, Jeff the certified Amanti technician here in Bradenton FL (-and really an all around nice guy!), replaced the parts and I cannot believe the improvement from before. She (my car) is now dead quiet over large and small road imperfections! WOW! It took Jeff a very short time and I even waited for it. Thanks Jeff!! (...if you're reading this, great job!!).
    Yes, I agree and think the Amanti should have been included in the Edmond's road test. It would have done well except for the new 2005 Avalon which is probably a tough car to beat. It was designed way after our Amanti, but I'm certain the next generation Amanti will be on par or better than the current Avalon. We'll have to wait and see. Of course, the Amanti does have a superior warranty and lower price range.
    Now...about the dealer not selling you a 2005. I would try dealers away from your tri-state area. Here in Bradenton FL they only have 2005's. Perhaps you can look on the internet and find a dealer who can find what you're looking for. Good Luck!!!
    So long for now!
    -Pete Sarasota
    P.S. If you think you hear a 'clunk' when over rough roads, consider getting those front suspension parts installed. It will make a world of a difference!
    Long live Amanti!!
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Last week I had an opportunity to drive the Kia Amanti for 10 days on a long distance trip from Los Angeles to Phoenix. That gave me plenty of time to gather my driving impressions of the car under real world driving experiences.

First off, the car has good looks, albeit a bit stodgy or conservative. The front end looks like the former E class Mercedes and parked in the entrance way at the hotel, it looked very upscale and elegant.

Inside you are treated to a very comfortable, quiet and attractive cabin. The wood and leather (and their synthetic counterparts) looked handsome and rich. Passengers in this car will feel that they are in a substantial, and yes even classy automobile.

Although the AC and radio/CD playet worked very well. Great sound system ...but, there are some problems with AC controls and radio controls. In order to adjust fan speed you have to look down at the center stack, just below the radio as I recall, and find one small button. This is hard to do when driving in traffic. Similarly you have to go through the same stuff to advance radio stations or move to the next track on your CD. These are worrisome issues as they do require your attention, and are hard to do, even after driving the car for a week. Steering wheel mounted controls for the radio included a mute button. That button should have been reserved for changing the channel/Cd track so that the driver does not need to take his eye off the road. The fan switch should be placed colser to the driver.

The car has plenty of power, both in off the line from a dead start and also in passing power. The power curve is smooth and reliable. The brakes were excellent and had a good bite with no hint of fading. ABS worked very well.

Seat comfort is excellent. Seat height is excellent. Seat adjustments are outstanding. Again, borrowing from Mercedes, Kia has created a three dimensional replica of a seat and seat back on the driver's door. It is extremely intuitive and easy to adjust your seat to the nth degree if you like. It is well placed and easy to reach. Even the controls are back lit at night. This is a great feature and IMO, everybody else should copy it!

There is plenty of room in the back sea, and the trunk is large and would likely ample for most folks.

Although I generally respect Consumer Reports reviews of cars, I think that they went way overboard in their criticism of the car, especially as to ride characteristics. While it is true that the Amanti has a very soft, plush and cushy ride, i would not call it a boat as they inferred. As long as you are not trying to drive the Indy 500 this car performs fine as an everyday sedan.

I don't know anything about how this car stacks up price wise against other cars in this price range, but my sense is that you are getting a lot of car for the money. I also cannot speak to reliability issues, but with a ten year - 100,000 mile warranty (backed by Hyundai) it seems hard to lose on that bet.

Overall, a great road car for a low price. Check it out!
    Glad you enjoyed your Amanti drive!
    While I agree with most of your comments, I love and use my steering wheel mute button everyday for one reason or another. I would truly hate to see it go. Perhaps Kia could add another button for changing stations, CD's, etc.
    I believe most modern high end cars today have an abundant amount of radio and A/C controls in their center stack that are distracting if you're not familiar with them.
    But thanks again for the favorable comments! When are you buying yours?
    -Pete
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    "While I agree with most of your comments, I love and use my steering wheel mute button everyday for one reason or another. I would truly hate to see it go. Perhaps Kia could add another button for changing stations, CD's, etc. " - Topgear

I think that by using the volume control buttons on the steering wheel one can accomplish muting, which would allow the mute button to be used instead to change the channel or CD track. I use the wheel mounted volume controls on my older Acura to accomplish that.

Speaking of the steering wheel, I am reminded of one other fault. That is the horn. It's difficult to make it sound when, in a panic situation, you need the horn NOW. It won't sound unless you hit the exact spot dead on. Several times that happened to me. You pretty much have to use a finger to make it sound; hitting the wheel with the bottom palm of your hand gets no results. I would prefer to see a raised horn button that is prominent enough to see and feel without having to look for it. Alternatively, Kia should enlarge the "sweet spot" so that a strike anywhere near the horn symbol will sound the horn.

That's my two cents anyway ...
    I don't disagree with you about the button for the radio/CD, but I stand by my comment about the mute button,...I'd hate to see it go. The volume controls actually take awhile for it to mute entirely, and then you'd have to push on it again to get it back where you were so to speak. I suppose I could do the same thing on my TV, but I prefer the mute button. Kia will probably not honor any of our thoughts here anyway, so instead of taking away my beloved mute switch, let's add the one you'd like so everybody's happy. :)
    Also, for ME, after driving many cars in the past, the Amanti has the best horn response of any airbag equipped steering wheel I've ever driven, (-and I've used it once or twice in anger!). When I tap the the little horn impressions on the wheel, my horn sounds off quite easily. Maybe I'm just used to my car.
    I hope I'm not ruffling any feathers, as that is not my intent.

What I would like to see is an indicator showing the radio/CD volume which seems to be missing.

-Pete
    Walked out to the dark garage to toss newspapers in recycle bin. Glanced over at the Amanti. Walked to the passenger door, touched the chrome handle. Something made me open it. Sat in passenger seat, shut the door, noticing how solid it felt when I closed it. The seat was so comfortable; was so quiet and peaceful sitting there, and I watched interior the lights continue to dim. About that time the garage light came on, a family member glanced at me sitting there, yelled "you need a life," turned off the light and walked away.

I guess I do. :blush:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    your post above is great. I, too, enjoy my Kia, mine being a Sportage 4x4. I totally understand the fascination. They are solid rigs, and I love their styling.

We have a life...we're car enthusiasts, is all. Actually, it's a disease shared by what's got to be millions in this nation. Take a long look at NASCAR and there you have a disease of yet another flavor, eh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• fr8godfr8god Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody added wheels? I am looking to add possibly 18 inch, has anyone done this? Do they look good or should I down size a little. It is hard to make a decision without trying them on for size and the shops do not like the thought. I live in Northwest Indiana. Any suggestions of where I might go to do this.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Try going to tirerack.com. They have a virtual copy of most cars and allow you to see what the wheels look like on the car. Since it isn't 3dimensional, you won't be able to tell much difference between 17" and 18" wheels, but it does show how much of the wheel well it fills and which style looks better.
  • digitodddigitodd Member Posts: 5
    Hello
    Quick question what type of mpg are you getting. With gas going up and up I'm only seeing a avg of 19. Car still has under a 1000miles is this going to get better or thats pretty much it.
    By the way Luv the forums keep up the good work and post :)
    :D
  • kribe123kribe123 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, fr8god

My friend I am looking for the same thing like you
    to become my amati more "cool" :):) ..If you get something Please let me know...

Regards,
    Kribe123
    Digitodd: I have 2700 on my Amanti and it says 19.1. I think that's the best we will do. I heard if you use premium you will do better, but I'm not sure. at 2.23 a gallon I'm using regular grade and I'm satisified with its performance. :)
  • tmeyers2tmeyers2 Member Posts: 3
    I have 8500 miles on mine.... I show 23-24mpg on every tank of regular gas.... average speed is 55-60mph
  • slickron42slickron42 Member Posts: 1
    I'm 49 and we bought an Amanti in October of last year. Love this car!! One thing that I found out is that if you use 91 or higher octane and synthetic oil in this car, the gas mileage will increase by a couple of miles per gallon. The car rides and looks like a 50K dollar car!!
  • kmqkmq Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone have the TSB number for the upper strut mount bushings and collar replacement? My dealer is saying there is no TSB regarding the strut mount bushings for the Amanti.
    The Kia web site now wants to charge for access to sevice information, it was free when I first got my Amanti in January of '04.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try filling out the form at this link Maintenance Schedules, Recalls, and Technical Service Bulletins and then you can hop over to our Technical Service Bulletins discussion for further clarification.

Let us know what you find out.
  • kmqkmq Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Pat,
    Five TSB's are indicated, none of which deal with the shock strut bushing problem.
    A search of the Technical Service Bulletin discussion forum didn't hit on the word Amanti.
  • tommy555tommy555 Member Posts: 13
    My KIA dealer is aware of it and has ordered the parts to fix the problem. He will call me to set up an appointment soon. The dealership is owned by two brother, one of whom has an Amanti, and had this front end problem fixed (car now drives like a dream).

Tom from New Jersey

P.S. -with approximately 3,500 miles on my Amanti I get 17.9 mpg.
    Hey, I went to my dealer and they did some adjustment of the struts or with a tool and said if they didn't fix the thumping they would replace it. I thought it solved the problem, but tonight driving from movies on cobblestone road it was noticable. Guess I'll call Mon. to set up appointment. The car is too nice to have that knocking noise.
  • vervekaverveka Member Posts: 9
    I only wish I was getting the mileage you guys are getting. I'm not complaining because it is my own fault. I like the feeling of being pushed back into my seat so I tend to push it rather hard and I enjoy the seamless power delivery. I reset the computer every time I refuel and I have been getting 15.1 mpg. I haven't done the math, but maybe the computer is not quite right in its' calculations. My driving is probably 70%/30% city/highway and that coupled with my heavy foot sort of explains it. No one ever said that driving a heavy, luxurious car was going to be cheap to fuel.

I haven't had the car in for warranty work yet and would like to get the front strut/bushing problem fixed (the only thing that is not perfect with the car) and haven't chosen a dealer for service yet. Has anyone had experience with Cherner or Farrish in Northern Virginia?

re: #692 - well, I find myself sitting in the car, washing it twice a week, and moving it if my kids are near it and I ignore the snickering. My kids are also tired of hearing me say "don't slam the door." I guess we are all in agreement that it's a great car!
    I
    I just left my dealership about the noise, which is not very loud and only occurs occasionally. Tech drove around with me and we couldn't duplicate it. I told him there is a TSB, so he checked and sure enough he said there is one. They are replacing the bushing with one a little bigger or something like that. So he has to order and then I'll head back there. Oh, well. But still love my Amanti! Sorry I keep saying that. Bill :P
    Bill, hang in there! If it's the noise that many of us had and commented on, you will be amazed at the difference when it's finally done. Someone mentioned after his "fix", that the front end actually felt tighter somehow and I agree! Good luck and keep us posted.
    Make sure (if you can) that they replace a total of 4 parts, -2 on each side. Also my dealer's service tech checked and tightened the bolts by the upper shock strut.

Don't feel bad about saying you love your Amanti, I love mine, too :blush: !
    -Pete
    Well, I took my Amanti to the dealer yesterday. They told me that the "new" bushings to fix the front end knock were for the right side only, since there is no problem on the left side. I was very insistent that I have the same problem on both sides, so they put the "new" bushings on the right side and replaced the bushings on the left as well.
    I'm sorry, but this "fix" has left me a little disappointed. The knocking noise isn't as bad as it was on the right, and the same as it was on the left. Of everyone on this board who has complained of this problem and gone in for the "fix", am I the ONLY one still complaining?
    (By the way, has anyone else noticed when you check spelling before posting, as I did, it said "no mispellings were found." Very interesting: mispellings was "misspelled." Oh my God....am I really just a perfectionist?! Not really, but maybe I just am a little more sensitive when something "ain't" right.
    hmmmm... :confuse:
    My car has improved since the bushing/sleeve change, and both sides were replaced. Did you witness the bushing/sleeve change on the left (driver's) side?
    If I understand you correctly, the right side has improved, but there was no improvement on the driver's side? I'm just connecting the dots so to speak...

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and I hope you can find a solution! Maybe you need a regional tech to inspect your car. Keep us posted.

Funny, you noticed the misspelling! Isn't that ironic?
    -Pete
    Pete, what's the name of your dealer in Sarasota? I called my dealer to make sure they are ordering and replacing left and right, and said in my voice message that I have a friend in Sarasota (grin) with same Amanti and his dealer replaced both. So they might ask me which dealer, and I'm not sure there's only one there or nothing. There's 4 here.
    Thanks, Bill
    Yup, Pete, they just called back within 2 mins. They are replacing both sides. So, I'm a Happy Amanti owner again. :)
    Bill,

Wow! Great news! I hope that rectifies your Amanti. It's really such a simple cure, I'm surprised at some of the dealers attitude about this.

Keep us posted!

-Pete
  • luxurynotluxurynot Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 2004 amanti 02/07 I returned to the dealership 02/25 with the knock.. the squeal and unsteady ride over uneven pavement. The service reps were aware of the problem back in February. I was told that the problem was the bushing and collar apparently KIA informed the dealership before February as my car was never examined...the servicemen diagnosed the problem from my complaint. 3/15 my car was "fixed"...it is almost the end of April now and the noise has returned. Amanti is at the dealership right now. Service tech states he couldn't duplicate the noise this time. It is occasional...It is bothersome and I wonder if it is SAFE. Whatever the case it is too much trouble for a car over 20 thousand dollars no matter how pretty it looks.
    In my post #710, I mentioned that the right side wasn't as bad as it used to be. I was wrong. It's every bit as bad as it was before the "fix." Like you, I have also wondered if this is a safety issue. I'm planning on calling the manager of the service department at my dealer and taking him for a ride. Yep, it's still a clunker!
    Yup, take it to the top. You definitely have something different than I or the rest of us have here. Mine was hardly noticable, except on cobblestone roads, and they are replacing both bushings. Yours sounds more serious. Keep us informed.
    I picked Amanti up yesterday...I think the dealership drove my car a total of ten miles and said they couldnt duplicate the noise...hmmm OK :sick: I am very concerned that it is a safety issue. My knock isnt as loud as it was before the Fix but depending on how uneven the pavement is it feels like there is less control on the right side. Finding other people who are going thru this has confirmed that I am not just a picky person who is hearing things. Imagine how i felt two weeks after buying this new car...my friends and i were on a shopping trip and everytime i turned a corner we heard a loud squeak followed by a loud knock. We were afraid we were going to break down. There has to be a govt agency that investigates these things.
  • photocatphotocat Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! I test drove this car and it seems fabulous... but the car and the company are (apparently) so new that feedback and a proven track record are hard to come by. I'm so glad I found this sight; maybe you all would be willing to help.
    About the used one I'm looking at: it's a 2004 currently owned by an employee of Kia here in southern California. He says that it was one of the first 300 or so ever made which is a little scary because I would assume that there could be some bugs that hadn't been worked out by that time. Only the 5 year 60K mi bumper-to-bumper warranty will transfer over to me.

I have SO many questions...

First, tell me more about the gas mileage please. The current owner of the one I test drove was only getting about 17 mpg, does that go for most of you?
    Does the car require premium gas?
    Does the 5y/60k warranty cover a rental car when it's in the shop? I hear that parts are hard to come by for Kias (have you found this to be true?) and I don't want to be stuck without a car for weeks at a time while the shop is waiting for something to come in from Korea. Does the warranty really cover EVERYthing (the heated seats, air conditioning, sunroof, speakers...)
    The NHTSB has apparently not fully safety tested this car yet (I could only find a roll-over rating of 4 stars); has anyone had an accident in their's yet?
    What is this "bushing" problem you are all talking about (is this a recall issue?) and are there any other known problems with the 2004?
    Has the car been costly to insure?
    And finally what's it like dealing with the company on a whole; are the dealership service departments knowledgeable, accommodating, and prompt? Are the other company reps willing to hear and handle issues quickly?

This and ANY other info you have for me would be greatly appreciated! I really love this car but am terrified of getting myself into something I'd regret.

Thank you, Thank You!
    Hi Photocat!

I own my Amanti for over a year (1-04) and have 24,000 miles. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1) Mileage IS about 17mpg.

2) Regular gas is fine. That's what I've been using.

3) IF they can transfer the bumper to bumper warranty, than yes... except for tires, wiper blades and battery, the whole car is covered. Mine was, and everything pretty much was warranted. No problem getting parts (so far).

4) I can't say anything about safety. I haven't crashed mine (yet), but the Amanti seems to have a lot of protection.

5) MY dealings with the company have been excellent so far! My local dealer is also excellent with a highly trained service tech! Having said that, YOUR local dealer MAY be crummy. I would recommend trying to find out about them at a local level (e.g. -Better Business Bureaus).

6) No on the auto rental if in the shop. I believe there may be a daily allowance if you are so many miles away from home and the car becomes incapacitated. The road hazard service program -which comes with the car from Kia is very valuable!

7) Insurance is average for a car at this price, -depending on your coverage and location.

I hope you have taken the time to read all the previous forum postings, as there is a lot of info there, both good and bad reports about the Amanti. Some of the earlier Amanti's (mine) have had a suspension defect concerning a sound (slight) when riding over a small series of bumps on the road. There is NOT a recall, is this seems minor. This was corrected by the sleeves & bushings being replaced under warranty by those who complained (me).

The previous postings to yours seem to indicate another, new suspension problem that I do not have and it seems, this needs to be addressed by Kia. I think it is safe to say that most of us do not have this stated problem, but we hope it is soon resolved for these forum members so they too can be happy.

Like any decision about a car purchase, it is a little nerve racking. However, after owning about 15 cars in my (now) long life, the Kia Amanti is one of the finest cars I've ever owned and gives me great pleasure.

Good luck!
    -Pete, Florida
    Hello: Welcome to the Amanti forum. As far as mileage, I use regular grade fuel, and it seems to run just fine with it. I drive in town doing the speed limit. I'm not one to gun it (maybe it's my age). I just enjoy the feel of the car and, therefore, do not drive crazy, and I am average 18.4. I'm satisified with that. You will find that majority of us love our car. We all seem to have a problem with the bushings, and there's been no need for a recall, it's just a minor fix. As a matter of fact, it's the same problem I had with my Lexus RX300. It also used to sway back and forth when driving around 70 on the highways which they never could figure out why. I traded it in on the Amanti and have been thrilled with it. I see that one gentleman really has something different than us, a safety problem or such. I have not encountered anything like that. I hope he gets it resolved. Overall, so far it has met and surpassed my expectations. Bill - Orlando
  • vervekaverveka Member Posts: 9
    Go for it. I don't know how many miles are on the one you are looking at or how much they are asking, but I think you will find this car to be a bargain despite its' few imperfections. Is there really a perfect car? This is the nicest car I have owned and I got it for a steal! The fit and finish of the car are Lexus quality, if you ask me. My car has the suspension noise that everyone is talking about and I plan to get it fixed but it's no big deal - my wife doesn't know what I'm talking about and when I made her finally hear it, she thought I was being picky. Turn up the nice stereo and you'll never hear it! Better yet, get it fixed under warranty and you will have the perfect car. I keep finding things that they thought of when they designed this car that prove to me it is a great car - you'll see. I do push the car hard, and my mileage is low but I doubt you'd do any better in a big Mercedes and this car is just as nice and rides better. That's just my pushy opinion. :)
    Today, while out for a :shades: Sunday drive, I saw a record (for me at least) amount of Amanti's. I saw five different ones. And they all looked classy if I might add. The only thing is, no one acknowledged me as another Amanti owner. I guess the novelty is wearing off, as the guessing game of what kind of car it is, evaporates as new Amanti's come along. Oh well...

I'm kind of glad :D though, as KIA needs to make money with selling Amanti's or they might not continue with the line here in the US. (Very bad thought!! :cry: )

By the way, after 24K miles, I'm ordering a new tire and using my full size spare to replace my fronts. They are getting a little thin, so to speak. I could push it for another couple of thousand miles, but I feel better getting the new ones since I have a mild vibration at 80 MPH. New tires will help.

Bye for now! -Pete FL
    Hi photocat,
    I would suggest that you purchase a 2005 model Amanti instead of a 2004. The first thing the service men told me when i brought in my 2004 was that there was a miscalculation on the sleeve and bushing length on the 2004 that was corrected on the 2005. As a consumer I would have liked to have known that two weeks before when I purchased the car as the dealership and company were aware. The radio could hide the knock since the fix...but I wonder if the little knock is going to turn into a big knock...squeal and groan again. My overall suggestion is to buy a proven luxury car instead.
    I love the appearance of my car and the luxury features.
    I currently have under 12,000 miles. The gas mileage is great on the highway. I dont use premium gas. And as an update for everyone else...took AMANTI back in yesterday service tech rode with me....heard the knock...Taking Amanti back this morning for servicing.
    PS..photocat.If you do decide to purchase the car....Ask the seller(kia employee) why he is selling his/her car. Ask about the front strut or suspension problem in writing and get the answer in writing. To protect yourself in case you do start to hear the noise that wasn't there on the test drive. I, just like the Kia employee would like to sell my car and just be through with it. Morally, I couldn't sell the car to anyone else knowing that the suspension problem may never completely get fixed...and that DRASTICALLY lowers the value of these cars in my opinion.
    Sorry about my (seemingly) writing every other message. Ya'all must be getting tired of me. I will try to write less in the future.

However, I have another opinion compared to the previous opinion. I would suggest buying a 2004 because you will probably save a bundle. The repair with the sleeve / bushing is a minor one. I and others have mentioned this in many previous messages. I'm at odds with the statement of the suspension not being able to be fixed will DRASTICALLY lower the car's value. Mine was fixed and runs fine now.

If others, who have had this 15 minute suspension repair done on their cars, can please respond with a little feedback on this matter -good or bad, that would be appreciated. If there is ANOTHER, different suspension problem out there, I'd like to know about that, too! While everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, it is important to keep this all in proper perspective. My suspension issue is too small to reduce the value of the car, especially when the TSB repair is minor and the car was never in any danger. I have not heard of any Amanti losing control or anything like that.

Let's give Kia a chance here. An automobile today is a very complex piece if equipment and I think the Amanti has a very good record so far. But, I'm anxious to hear from other owners, though.

Just my opinion...

-Pete
    I am not tired of you at all Pete. We are all entitled to our own opinion. I wouldn't have purchased the Amanti had I known that there was any type of known defect. I paid 24k for my car and I dont feel comfortable that I have paid that amount of money for a car with a known defect. My Amanti is being serviced right now. Some people may even be able to ignore the knock and just live with it. On a 10k car I may have been able to say that i got what i paid for.
    I am not sure about everyone else but my vehicle felt very unstable on the front right side before the fix. My passenger stated "it feels like the wheel is going to fall off". Now there is a small knocking sound and I feel that the right side is not as tight as the left side. This is a safety concern for me. I am not sure if the softer knock proceeds the louder knock that I experienced the first time I had it serviced. Whatever the case 3 times to the dealership for the same problem in 3 months is also not what I paid for.
    I have had the TSB repair and the car is still producing a knock. The fact that my car produces the knock would need to be disclosed to any potential buyer....that lowers the value in my book. BTW Pete I dont want you to think that I meant all Kia Amantis...just the ones who have been serviced for the suspension problem and knock has returned...Honestly how could one in good faith sell the car and not advise the potential buyer of the suspension problem. On the same token how is the car worth the same as the others without the knock.
    Let me be the first to state that I dont know for 100% fact that this problem cant be fixed. What I do know is that it hasn't been fixed on my car..and some of the other cars to this date. I also know that the company and the dealerships were aware of the issue when i bought my car and it was not disclosed or repaired before offering the car for sale. Strictly being as honest as possible i would not have bought this car if i knew then what i know now.
    If there is anyone on this board that had the front-end clunk "fixed" successfully, then the "fix" should work for all of us. We all seem to be complaining about the same problem.
    luxurynot, I am extremely interested in knowing what was resolved since the service tech actually heard the clunk. I have just not had time to get back to the dealer and take the service manager for a ride. I notice the clunks more when I am making a turn and hitting a rough spot in the street. Where I live, the driveway in front of my house has a very small, "rounded curb" and every single time I turn into my driveway, I hear two separate, distinct and loud clunks. It's embarrassing, since my next-door neighbor is often outside when I turn into my driveway...."nice car--what's that clunk?" My driving is entirely on city streets and highways. I don't think my car has ever been off the pavement. When I encounter a rough section of road, I experience a brief looseness in the steering or front-end. It's a little unnerving!
    So far, that is the only real complaint I have with the car. I love everything else about it.
    My car does the exact same thing coming in and out of the drive way. The higher the speed the louder the knocks. Picked Amanti Up...They have tightened the right and left side per the service order. Is it just coincidence that every service rep repeats we could not duplicate the noise. I thought that was service man slang for "Lady U are crazy" :) If it knocks again since that will be the 4th trip to the dealership the KIA rep will get involved per the servicemen.
    Stockchaser...I bet your car was close to my car on the assembly line..they sound like twins.
    I cant stress how much i love the appearance of my car.
    On another forum a member wrote that they found out the majority of the bushing problems were on models made before april 2004. They stated that you can find the date your car was assembled on the inside of the drivers door. Also unless all of us are users on that forum also...we are not alone in the complaining nor the "unable to duplicate the noise" response.
    My car was manufactured after April 04, it says June 04. I probably would not have even noticed the small noise if I had not found this forum, but since everyone else is getting bigger bushings I decided to also. They tried the tightening up, but that did nothing. My bushings are on order and waiting for them to call me. I'm glad to hear it's a quick fix. For what we paid for this beautiful vehicle, if this is our only concern, we are very lucky. I've had vehicles costing 40k with more noise than this. I hardly ever seen another Amanti, Pete, and if I do I rush up to them to wave and get nothing in return. The two that I forced to speak to me at a redlight were driving rental Amantis but they both really liked it, and one was planning on purchasing one when he returns to Houston. I do hope they start advertising and selling more soon. The Kia store closest to me do not have one that you can see driving by, so I called them and the salesman said, oh, yes, we have two but they are parked in the back. Why?? Don't get it.
    Still lovin' my Amanti, Bill "Orlando"