Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Maybe the ML will be offered on the 300AWD? I mean, since Australia doesn't get the AWD version, we've got the GS300 Sport, GS300 Sport Luxury, and the GS430 Sport. The sport luxury and gs430 come with ML I think.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Lexus announced manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) for the all-new 2006 GS 300 and GS 430 luxury sports sedans. The GS 300 rear-wheel drive starts at $42,900 and $44,850 for the GS 300 all-wheel drive with standard run-flat tires. The MSRP for the GS 430 starts at $51,125.

All GS models will include standard features such as leather and memory package with seat heaters, Smart Access system, in-dash CD changer, HID headlamps, curtain and knee airbags, wood and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob, 17-inch wheels on GS 300 and 18-inch wheels on the GS 430. The new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system is standard on the GS 430.
  • stern4stern4 Member Posts: 6
    Just returned from the show. I must say this car was the number one car at the show. The car is absolutely stunning. I will be at my dealership as soon as the weather improves and the chance of snow is zero. In it's class this car has no competition. 300 or 330 there is no reason to wait.
  • clcurrysrclcurrysr Member Posts: 8
    I too have just returned from the Chicago Auto Show. The Lexus handout claimed 0-60 in 7.8 seconds for the new GS300. I have owned a 94 GS300 and a 98 GS300. If I what more performance Than I will have to wait for the redesign IS whatever or jump into a GS430 with a 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. These numbers are Lexus numbers.
    Did the handout mention weight ? I thought it was supposed to be reduced, with added HP.

DL
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I thought all along Lexus has been claiming 6.8/6.8 for the RWD/AWD 2006 GS models?????

Im perplexed.

~alpha
  • wannabgood1wannabgood1 Member Posts: 25
    Re: GS300 0-60 times, the Lexus site gives these specs: RWD - 6.8 secs, AWD 6.9 secs. This is also what a dealer told me a week ago after his recent test drives and training on the car.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Thats the old car. Perhaps you were looking at the 2005 GS300? The new one will be under 7.
  • clcurrysrclcurrysr Member Posts: 8
    lexusguy, after further review, the handout describes the 2005 GS.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    What kind of AWD does the GS use? Does it vary between the front and the rear wheels like Nissan's ATESSA?
    Not too much is known about it. I'm sure its related to the electronic system used in the RX330, but that system is FWD biased, where as GS's should be rear biased. They really havent said much in terms of specifics though.
  • bowersbowers Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a suggestion for me on whether or not paying a near extra 10K will be worth it for the GS430? I test drove the 2005 GS300, very disappointed in its responsiveness. From the reviews, it appears that the new GS 300 will go when you tell it to. I don't need to win a drag race but would like for the car to be able to merge onto the freeway quickly. I like the smoothness of Lexus and interior but the quickness of a 5 series BMW. Is all the new vehicle dynamic system on the GS430 worth it? I actually have a down deposit for a GS but now having to decide. My dealership expects them in this week. When will they start integrating the IPODS into Lexus?
    The '06 GS300 should be at least a good full second faster to 60 than the '05 car. If the high sixes is good enough, then a GS300 should be fine. The GS430 should come in around 5.5 or so.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Looks like many manufacturers are abandoning them this year, with the new M and E350 being exceptions. I can't believe that this is a good idea, and the thought of buying a new GS only to have the usual parking lot clowns knock dings in the side seems absurd. Does anyone know if Lexus will offer these moldings as an option (factory)? I know that you can get various after-market people to put them on, but it would seem that the company would at least offer them. For those who say they don't make much difference - they do - I have a 97 528 with 122K on the clock with only one minor ding to date. I try to be careful where I park it, but frankly, it is just not always possible to park "out in the north 40", when there are no spots left. Moldings would be very popular in my opinion.
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    I'm surprised that there's not more action on this topic this week. A local Lexus salesperson called today saying the new GS is here to drive! I'm also planning to attend my Infiniti dealer's promotion for the M35 Thursday. As both dealerships are close to each other, I'll test them both on Thursday and post my impressions.
  • stuart3stuart3 Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from the Lexus showroom. The new GS 430 looks awesome. I put my deposit down over a year ago. Glad I waited. I should get the first silver GS 430.
    Congrats! Were you able to drive one? Impressions please!
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Have these been dropped from the 2006 GS? Why? Has the car been decontented in any way, similar to the last generation Camry?
    The new GS has traditional Lexus electro-luminescent white on black gauges. The green ones are gone.
    First I'll say in person it is much more striking that the brochure i got last week. I dropped in the dealer just in time for the first drive.There was basically a line behind me.

Great standard features:knee airbags, wood leather wheel, shift knob,perforated heated leather seats,7"multi information screen,bluetooth,window pinch protection,back seat pass-thru,push start-stop.

Did not like:fold down panel for mirror controls.

Personally I prefer Inline engine's but I have to say power was effort less,and it was hard to tell the engine was running.Salesman almost had me push the start button while it was running..

The Specs:

GS300 "mercury metallic" $42,900

freight $650.00

rain sensors $525.00

rear sunshade $210.00

moonroof $1000.00

vented seats $200.00

tourline wheels 18" $2450.00

accessory package $194.00

Total $48,129.00

Listed MPG is 22/30

Dealer commented that the GS430 will ring in about 60k and they are concerned its same price range as the LS.

DL
    I guess I'll find out today at my test drive, but:

Don't the options you listed come in a "luxury package" or is everything a la carte?
    Lexus will fix that with the next LS. The hybrid version will probably hit 80.
    Drove the GS 300 today. My impressions:

Exterior: "In the flesh" this car looks alot different from the photos posted on the web site. Much crisper and sportier. I am not seeing much of the Maxima that I did in the initial photos. However, the car looks small and perhaps less substantial than the 2005. Exterior looks are completely subjective so I'll stop there.

Interior: Excellent fit and finish, however my demo had a dark wood that looked like black plastic- almost impossible to tell there was wood grain there. It took no time to adjust the seat to a very comfortable driving position. Much more of a "cockpit" feel than the Acura RL or the Cadillac STS, which I think is good. However, some might feel it was cramped. Headroom was marginal. The DVD/info screen seemed blurry with low resolution.

Driving: In summary, one of the best highway cruisers I have ever driven. Quiet, comfortable and plenty of acceleration. Not quite as "Lexus-quiet" as I would have imagined- some road noise does intrude. Steering was right-on at highway speed. However, you won't be seeking out winding, narrow back roads with this car. The brake is mushy, underpowered with a long throw. I found this out, as the car is so quiet, when I came apon traffic going 60 when I thought I was going 25. The steering is overly assisted and light under 60 mph. Suspension is somewhat isolating, with mild, but noticible, body roll. In general, I was not confident driving this car around a corner.

In summary, the new GS seems sportier in all aspects, exterior look, interior fit and acceleration, EXCEPT for the steering and suspension. Steering and suspension aren't that important, are they?

All kidding aside, this is a nice piece of machinery. However, after driving a Toyota Avalon today , I don't know if I would spend the additonal 15K on the GS. Honestly, if you lean toward a luxury vs. a sporty ride, the Avalon was very, very impressive. Obviously, most people (including my wife), wouldn't get past the image factor (Grampa!), but I was pleasantly surprised.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The ads in MT look very good (silver car).

The design apes the Maxima, but has better styling.

Did you feel the dash needed more wood?

DrFill
    I see you got your answer before i could reply. What type equipment was on your test vehicle ?

How was the torque steer on that 280Hp FWD Avalon ?

DL
    The car I drove was a RWD version with all options to include the ML stereo, Nav as well as a $2,400 wheel upgrade and sonar. It stickered for 53K!It seems that most (if not all) of the vehicles will have the following options (according to the salesperson):

Rain Sensing Wipers/Adaptive Front Lighting System/Headlamp Cleaners $525

Power Tilt&Slide Moonroof $1000

Power Rear Sunshade $210

Ventilated/heated Front Seats $200

Intuitive Park Assist $500

I thought these would be a part of a package, but it looks like most will arrive from the factory with these options as "standard" in true Lexus fashion. The only real options are sonar, ML stereo/Nav. The "base" model with the above options stickers at 46,600.
  • echiuechiu Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if you can program the new Lexus GS430 navigation while driving using the voice commands? This is something that the Infinity M45 does allow you to do and it is great -- no need to stop and input.

Thanks,

Eric
    Pretty much as I expected. I figured Lexus would go more E class than 5 series.
    What's this $500 option? A chauffeur?
    I also drove the GS300 today (although it was AWD). I would call it the offspring of a mixed marriage between the E320 and the 530i. The car has qualities of each of its parents. Though it has the feel of a big car, it seems to handle far better and corners flatter than the current 300, although my experience with the latter is limited. Brakes to me seemed strong. Smooth-as-silk Lexus throughout.

Not a lot of headroom. Windshield sloped at such an angle A pillar intrudes somewhat on forward vision.

Ironically, in this area (Chicago), 95% of 300s being shipped this month are AWD.

Still unclear what options will be available with RWD. ML, in fact, may not be available. Salesman told me Lexus has had focus groups with Lexus owners who, in a blind test, could not distinguish between the standard Lexus audio and ML.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I've got the standard audio system in my LS430 and the ML in my LX470. The ML doesn't sound any better to me.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Well, if that's the case, what's the point of the ML then, especially if you don't have any 5.1 DVD-audio discs.
  • danldanl Member Posts: 6
    Drove a new GS300 today, I really wanted to like the car but did not have the same enthusiasm as when I first saw a 1998 GS. compared to my 2002 GS the interior and options are quite nice but it feels somewhat cramped inside. Driver,s seat sits lower so thigh support and comfort is not as good. Tires are wider now so rwd model will be even worse in winter, that is my only complaint about my current GS. Looks like I,m going to pass on this one, and I really wanted to buy just not enthused enough.
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    danl,

What a coincidence.... I also drove a new 2006 GS300 today. This is one nice automobile!

Will have to agree with you that the interior seems a little cramped. Also found the seats to be quite firm with little thigh support. Was a bit disappointed in that area.

Drivability was very good and the new V6 engine and 6-speed tranny work well together. The suspension is set up on the firm side which I prefer. Trunk size is limited.... even smaller than my wife's '98 ES300.

It is obvious that Lexus is seriously going after the 530i and E320 market with the new GS300.

Martin T.
    THe ML stereo will be available with the RWD GS300, but will be packaged with the Nav system. I believe this is a 4K option.
    Surprised that Lexus is going on the cheap with its tire pressure monitor. The RL and I believe the M35/45, as well as other cars, have a dashboard readout giving the exact pressure in each tire.

Lexus has gone with just a warning system, advising driver when a tire has low pressure, but without providing visual pressure reading for each tire.

Also, what's with their XM radio antenna? Instead of the shark fin on the roof, apparently they are just fastening some kind of black box to the trunk lid. Looks weird and tacky.
  • sirdarby1sirdarby1 Member Posts: 36
    Surprisingly to me it looked like an Audi a6
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    Any idea when Edmund's will have invoice pricing for the new GS?
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Invoice pricing? Probably when the car is officially "introduced": March 1.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    As a Lexus-ophile, I had to check out the GS300 and its newest competitor, the M35. You can read my findings in the link below:

oac, "Luxury Performance Sedans" #801, 19 Feb 2005 9:18 pm
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Since many people have sat in the GS already, and since it has yet to reach Australia yet (well where I live anyway), how does the interior space compare to a camry? or a volvo S60?
    Bigger, and a lot bigger. The S60 is teeny tiny.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Do the headrest for the rear seats fold back/down out of the way when no one is in the back seat?

The Acura RL has this feature and it really improves visibility through the rear window/rear view mirror.
  • sirdarby1sirdarby1 Member Posts: 36
    I saw both of them today. While my wife is not a car fanatic like me, when she saw the Lexus GS she flipped upon first impression. I did like the outside, like I said, looks more like an Audi crossover to me, and much better than its pictures on the website. However, the interior was about the same as its predecessor. And that little mini spoiler on the deck-lid cheapened it.
    Of course the GS430 had the nicer alloys which finished it off.

The M35 - When we pulled into the lot, she said, surely you're kidding; this looks about as good as a Camry. But to me, when I opened the door, I was home. The M35 interior beat the Lexus hands down. This one had a black interior piqued in gray. Simply elegant. The outside is somewhat unassuming, but with the upgraded alloys (i'm a wheels man), makes all the difference. The silver V8 I saw was sold but the car can't pick it up till March 1.

The perfect combination would be the Lexus exterior, with the M35 interior.

On another note: Have you guys noticed how blank overall these next generation Japanese cars look. The RL, GS (albeit sleeker) and the M35 seem to just blend in with the rest of the pack. The RL looks about as nice as the old generation to me. As far as sheer innovation and bling go, I think the BMW 5 series - love it or hate it, and the TL are far more attractive, with the head turning appeal.

My 97 LS400 and my 95 Volvo 960 look just about as good as the new stuff rolling out, relative to the dollars you have to shell out.

I'll probably get one of these rockets in a few years once they make it to the used market, but they don't move me enough to part with $60K present day.
    Maybe your commentary would be more positive with the "future" GS350.

Maybe the GS430 would be a better match for the M35/45?

I'm know it is prettier than the M.

The interior is very safe, even more so than the last GS (I like green gauges).

Comparing the 280HP M to the 245HP GS maybe unfair at this point, as far as driving impressions go.

The Infiniti seems to have do better inside, Lexus better outside.

DrFill
    I like the styling of both cars. If the 5 series is an example of how to "do" styling, then please Infiniti and Lexus, continue to NOT do it. The one that continues to dissapoint me is RL. Priced 5 grand less or weighing 500lbs less it could've been the value king, much the way that the TL and the rest of Acura's products, except the NSX, are. If the car weighed 5 or 600 lbs less it could've at least knocked on the door of the V8 club, instead of being a barely average V6 in terms of performance.
    I'd need more torque, or more interior room.

I like the 5-series styling, compared to what's out there. The E and 5 are the best styled cars out in this class.

HATE the head and taillights on the M.

DrFill
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I think that the M doesn't look nearly as good as the Lexus, and I would pick exterior over interior any day. It's what people are seeing me in, and the M just doesn't look right, especially in the back. To be fair, though, the GS is a little big looking.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    I had a chance to sit in and drive both the M and the GS today (M35 and GS300). Both are very nice cars, but are clearly different from each other. To me, the GS was more of a cruiser while the M was more of a sports sedan. Re styling: in my opinion the GS is better both inside and out (but styling is subjective). The GS was quieter to drive too. The M has notably more room inside, especially head room. I did not like the instrument cluster in the GS: fairly big analog clock, bigger speedo in the middle, and small tach on the right - lighting of the instruments was excellent. Trunk space about a wash, but neither has a fold-down rear seat option which is too bad in my opinion. Driving: the M blows the GS away in power and also handles better, but feels heavier and both suffer from overly light steering. Gas mileage (EPA sticker) was 18/25 for the M and 22/30 for the GS. I found it interesting that the GS had a sticker on the window re the tires - something to the effect that the tires are "high performance" and may not last past 20K miles. That was interesting to me, since I have a 97 BMW 528 with Michelin "Energy" tires (225X60X15) which have been replaced twice after about 45K miles each time, and this new GS couldn't touch the handling of my old bimmer, "performance tires" or not. Price for nav equipped versions of these cars favors the M by about 4K. For anyone in the market for this type of car, I don't think you could go wrong with either. While I think that after today's drives I might favor the M a little more, each has its own virtues and individuals will weigh various things differently. If the GS had shown up with a 3.5L engine and a little firmer suspension (at least as an option), I think it would have "won" today's comparison.