Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• ipsadoodleipsadoodle Member Posts: 35
    06 GS300 Bell Lexus in Scottsdale will do $4000 off..other dealers I have talked to start at $1500 off. they are tripling production on GS..dont pay list..its a hoax PS I bought at $1200 over..about $5300 off..got 2nd car for my son in law $2500 over...
  • txagy1txagy1 Member Posts: 4
    thanks. No one in Dallas or Houston would come down at all. What a joke.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    jhamilton:

Thanks for the note comparing the new GS with the old. Since you're one of the few to own both, your comparisons are valuable. I drove an AWD GS and then a few weeks later drove a RWD, and the RWD didn't seem to corner quite as flat as the AWD. Might have been my imagination. The suspension is the same on both. The AWD did have run-flat tires; don't know whether this could have made any difference.

Some people claim that the interior of the '06 looks cheaper than the earlier model, cheaper materials, etc. You don't agree, I assume.

What color did you get and what equipment? I assume you paid sticker or near it.

Thanks again.
  • jhamilton1jhamilton1 Member Posts: 22
    With the exception of AWD, it's "loaded". It stickered at $50,350. I traded-in an '03 with no options other than leather and moonroof. It was very clean (non-smokers, garaged nightly, etc.) and it had only 15K miles. Traded for $20K even. Inasmuch as all 3 dealers of my other car of choice (M35)were asking $22.5K to trade (and the cars were very similarly equipped)this seemed to be a fair deal.

The color is Flint Mica and the interior is Ash (light gray leather) with the Black Bird's-Eye Maple wood trim. We REALLY like the look. It is a little more "stark" than the cream colored leather we had in the '03 but both my wife and I are very pleased with the color combination(s).
  • janeg2janeg2 Member Posts: 22
    jhamilton1

Thanks for the input about your new 06 GS. I'm driving a 98 GS, which I have really enjoyed, but its time to replace it. I'm working on forgiving Lexus for the inadequate trunk opening by focusing on all of the car's great features. (The trunk in my 98 GS was already smaller than I would have liked).

I think you're exactly right about the interior appearing a little more stark then the cream color interior which I also have, but it was growing on me while test driving and light gray is the color I would choose, also.

I'm glad to hear about the good cornering, also. Having tested several cars in one day, now I can't remember exactly how the turns felt.

I'd be glad to hear any further impressions from you and your wife. I have a couple of weeks to work on my decision before my preferenced car comes in.
    Jhamilton:

Thanks for more impressions of the GS300. The Flint Mica is also the color I'm considering. Very attractive. Let me ask whether you think the interior of the new model has been cheapened compared to the car you traded.

How do you like the rear camera? Is the NAV easy to learn?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    My $.02:

I owned the '99 GS, my 4th of 6 Lexus'. In comparing it to the new GS, I noted that the quality of the plastic ('06) on the dash and upper door panels looks cheaper and there is less wood paneling on the doors. I'm also not sure of the aluminum trim on the center dash. That said, it is still evolutionary, a great car with Lexus' fine attention to detail and overall quality.
  • eee1eee1 Member Posts: 2
    I doo not think there is any comparison. The M is spacious (the rear seat is limo like, the trunk is huge). The GS is cramped. The M is a much more driver focused machine, where as the lexus is a finely engineered swiss watch with much less driver involvement. The M won a six luxury car comparo with ease in the March 2006 issue of motor trend magazine. The M is the gold standard in the industry for interior design at this point in time.
    Over the last twenty years I have owned V-8 BMWs, Mercedes's, Saabs, Infinitis,and one lexus 470 suv.
    I will tell you this, the Infiniti M35/45 is the only car I have been excited about in years. The new offerings from Daimler, BMW, Lexus and others leave me cold. (except perhaps the Scion Xb and the new mini)
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I really have to disagree about the interior. '98 era designs from Lexus, the original RX and '98 GS, in my opinion had some of the worst interiors in Lexus history. The '93 GS, despite being dated, looked much better than the '98, which I always found to be very cold. The bits they added in '01 helped, but the '06 car is SOO much better on the inside, similar to how the '04 RX improved on the old car by leaps and bounds.
    Well, I agree that the new GS's interior is nicer (I said evolutionary) than the older, but that plastic on the dash and upper interior doors in the new one still looks cheap and un-Lexus-like.
    Both the rear and the front/side cameras are great! So far we feel the Nav is quite intuitive and we have no significant issues with it. Must add, however, we thought the NAVs in the RS and the M were probably even better than in the GS. Each of those had more "voice" innovations. Also, we are still struggling with the BlueTooth connects with our cell. Our sales rep at Lexus has told us she'll set-up fully the phone at our convenience when we come back to the dealership. Have no reason to believe she won't be able to help us through to fruition.

Re the interior finish/color, we really like it. Although it's less "warm" than the tan/brown combination in our '03, we prefer the slightly more "severe" black/gray in this one. It wears well, too. Our Mercedes 32 AMG has a similar color combo and we've enjoyed it for 3 years without getting bored or tired of it in any way. Absolutely LOVE the Black, Bird's-Eye, Maple Wood trim. It's just great with the Ash seats and the black dash/console. A smashing combination!
  • txagy1txagy1 Member Posts: 4
    Who did you work with at Bell Lexus to give you $4K off retail?

Thanks
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Member Posts: 35
    I originally posted the saleman's name at Bell Lexus, but host of Edmunds emailed me that I could not put up a salesmans name...but make the offer...dont listen to any sales talk, make the offer..wait a few days..
  • anthonymanthonym Member Posts: 7
    I am also deciding between the 2006 330i and the 2006 gs300. The cost of the 330i with options I want will be $40,000+ and the gs300 will run around $45,000 with a higher mark up. I am test driving the gs300 next week. No need to test drive the BMW since I already own a 1999 323i. It boils down to a larger, more luxurious and reliable car vs. the "ultimate driving machine".
  • jfd1jfd1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, thanks jhamilton1. I've had the AWD for over a week now and averaged over 27 MPG on a 250 mile round trip (highway). The only other (minor) problem is that you can't program the exterior rear view mirrors to fold in when stopping the car (which you CAN do in the RX, GX). You have to do it manually.
    WOW! Outstanding MPG. We haven't been able to do any lengthy trips in ours due to some remodeling going on in our home. If you're getting that in the AWD my guess is the lighter weight RWD might do even better.

Re the mirrors, why would you want them folded when stopping? Just curious. In reading the manual about that feature I thought to myself, "Now that's something we'll never use."

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!
  • rtcagertcage Member Posts: 9
    I did the same thing when I was shopping for my 1998 GS 300. Bought the GS, and I'm not going back to BMW. Owning a Lexus is a much better experience, and I can say this after owning two BMW's and a Mercedes.
    rtcage:

Can you elaborate? I'm deciding between the GS300 and the new 330i. I'm disappointed that Lexus didn't put the 3.5L engine in this year and wondering what effect that might have on resale in the future. Plus it is underpowered compared to the competiton, as has been repeated time and again on this board.

Yet, to me, silence is golden, and there's no silence like a Lexus. The BMW is tempting, because of sheer driving pleasure, but repairs down the line are concerns, plus it lacks the creature comforts that I crave at this advanced age. What were your thoughts--and your experience with your BMWs?
  • frankwhitefrankwhite Member Posts: 4
    Oh give us a break. The M has won 1 comparison and still has TONS to prove. The GS is a proven winner in the segment. If you get that excited by the M, stay away from a can of coke.
    Actually the M has won several comparisons by several magazines in both M35 and M45 forms. The USA Today guy cant stop talking about it, and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the GS. C&D also was underwhelmed. "Hold the passion".
  • idoc1idoc1 Member Posts: 2
    Had it about a week. First tank of gas.......no highway driving. Driving it harder than I should....20.9. Absolutely love the car.........Rich
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Motor Trend has M45 vs GS430 comparo, agrees almost completely with USA Today guy, but with much harsher tone toward GS. Here are a few examples:

"The amount of electronic meddling is astonishing..."
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "The M is the gold standard in the industry for interior design at this point in time."

I completely disagree. In my opinion the GS interior is far nicer than the M's and has a much better layout. The M's orange lighting in particular has got to go. And don't get me started on the tacky "Infiniti" embroidered in the seats. You may like the M interior and that may be your opinion, but you can't say it is the industry standard. Not only is the Lexus interior nicer, but so is the Audi A6.
    "....you may like the M interior and that may be your opinion...."

Just as your post represents your opinion.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I was going to say the exact same thing, but decided to let it go.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Thanks. What were low and high points of each vehicle? How were they equipped? What were some of the test data (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.)?
    Certainly:

1. Where I live, BMW's and Mercedes are as common as Chevy's. Therefore the dealerships are overcrowded and the service is flat out poor.

The Lexus dealer and their service is spectacular.

2. I had far too many problems with BMW and Mercedes.

Not a single issue in over four years with my Lexus. The car still looks and runs like it did when I first bought it.

3. The BMW drive is definitely "fun," but driving in my Lexus an hour-and-a-half a day is the most pleasant driving I've experienced. It's quiet, so there are no issues with the fatigue associated with road noise. The quiet cabin is also a perfect place to listen to the Levinson sound system which is hard to beat, even after spending thousands on custom stereo work.

4. I just changed brakes for the first time in 50k miles. Now that BMW pays for brakes (at least they were a couple of years ago) this may not be an issue, but when I had my cars I was paying a pretty penny far too often for brakes.

5. In 1998, getting BMW or Mercedes to deal was impossible. I'm not sure what it's like now, but for me these two brands are far from deserving a price premium any more.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    I don't have the MT issue with me. Let's me summarize:

1. GS brakes are some hi tech electronic thing, but are too grabby, can't be well modulated, takes a full car length longer to stop than M from 60 mph.

2. MT feels that GS stability constrols don't let you play with the car, unlike M. This is also the point made by James Healey of usatoday. I think the quote is 'somewhere deep inside GS lies a great car.' That's the quote from a GS only article, just prior to the comparo.

3. Despite being 160 lbs heavier, M outaccelerates GS at every distance, is faster in slalom, but only fractionally. I'm surprised that future 4.6L of GS only makes 315 hp, still 20 shy of M's 4.5.

4. MT says that in every driving category (body control, brakes, steering) M outshines GS. They also note M feels smaller, eventhough it's actually bigger than GS.

I hope they do a M45 vs 545i, that'll be for the champion of the luxury world.
  • mccoskeymccoskey Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have looked at the Infiniti M35 & M45, test drove them, etc. I also have looked at the Lexus GS300 and test drove it also. In the New Orleans area all 3 of these models are doing very well and the dealerships I have visited have a hard time showing me certain models as they can't keep them in the showroom. I called my salesman at the Infiniti dealer today and he told me he just got a Black M35 with the Nav pak etc. and it sold within minutes of getting off the truck. I also called my salesman at the Lexus dealer today and he reported that the two GS300's I test drove were both sold and that was within the last 2 weeks. One of the cars the owner of the dealership was driving and it was a GS300 starter so to speak. I hope I answered your questions.
    rt: Appreciated your comments on the GS and BMW. A nephew has an '03 GS300, with less power than the '06, but loves it. Black with darkened windows. Approaching, it looks very impressive, even menacing in a harmless way. Lexus original motto for the car was: "Something wicked this way comes." Definitely.

Driving a BMW is obviously fun, but being a passenger isn't anything special. Rode in the back seat of my brother's 325i last week on a 2-hour drive, and it was noisy, bouncy, and unexceptional. Blindfolded, you'd never know you were riding in a BMW. Could have been a Mazda or other small Japanese car.
  • silvereagle2silvereagle2 Member Posts: 23
    You either love a Bimmer or Mercedes or hate them. I never owned a Bimmer, but my wife has said if I ever want another Mercedes it has to be with my 2nd wife!!!! I have friends with Bimmers and they are expensive to repair and need more repairs than their Lexus ever needed. I have had 5 lexus and still own a 2001 GS 300 fully equipped with Nav & Mark Levinson and a 2004 RX330. I drove a 2006 GS 300 and was so impressed that it will be #6. Lexus service is absolutely incredible (over the past 10 years) and no more costly than BMW or Mercedes.
    "Driving a BMW is obviously fun, but being a passenger isn't anything special."

This is no joke - almost everyone who rides in my Lexus comments on how comfortable it is. When I take the work crew out to lunch, I frequently have people joke that they'd like to stay in the car and sleep.
    Don't ask me why, but my GS is actually a 2001 as well. For some reason I had 98 on my mind when I wrote the earlier post - scary!
    According to the current issue (May)of Motor Trend, the GS350 will not debut until the 2008 model year. A long time to wait for a more powerful 6.
  • docmjdocmj Member Posts: 2
    As a five-time loyal BMW & Benz owner, I recently had a chance to test both the GS430 and M45. Seeing as they are a hot topic of debate, I thought I would see what they have to offer. I won't go into all of the details that have already been discussed in length, but I would like to make a few comments.

The GS430 is a nice car overall in typical Lexus fashion. It has muted responses and is quiet and comforting. The interior is nicely finished and it is easy to see that the car is well made. The car is pleasant looking inside and out. Possibly, the perfect car for the semi to non-enthusiast. The major problem that I have with the new GS is that it does not provide the driver any feedback what so ever. The car is too quiet and lacks road feel. You can’t hear what the engine is doing and you can't feel what the road is doing, by the response of the steering wheel. The brakes are touchy and the throttle isn’t very responsive. Overall, there is just way too much electronic interference between the driver and the car. Some people may like that, but as a BMW owner I despise it. BMW is in fact starting to go in this wrong direction as well. Mercedes has unfortunately already gone this route.

On the other hand, the M45 Sport was a true surprise. I have never really considered them as a brand before, but ever since the G35 debuted, Infiniti has been on my radar. The M45 Sport is a keen and responsive car to drive. You can hear the engine and feel the road through the steering wheel, much like what you would find in a BMW. But the great thing about the M is its different personalities. If you take it on the highway and it is almost as quiet as the GS, but when you step on the accelerator, you can feel that the car wants to run hard and fast. It is great to be able to test the limits of this car, because stability control can be turned off, which is a blessing unlike the GS. Also, I felt that the interior is just as nice as the GS. In fact, I think that the M has more style and is less bland than the GS. I am one of those few people who likes iDrive, so I like the way that the M's HMI controller works. I don't like touchscreens, which the GS has, because they get dirty and greasy looking quickly. I like cars with personality, and the M has plenty of it. The fact that it looks great on the outside doesn’t hurt.

I basically came to the conclusion that the M speaks to you and the GS doesn’t so much. The GS is a great car to get from point A to point B, but it doesn’t give you anything in return. It is just well thought-out transportation. The M can get you from point A to point B in the same fashion, but it will speak back to you and give you something to smile about. It can be fast and agile or quiet and serene. You can get the best of both worlds in my opinion.

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Interesting see these two like that. The rear pillar kink is almost identical as are the overall shape, yet the M looks so much better than the GS on the road.

M
    I guess everyone has a different opinion because I personally think the GS looks far better on the road than the M (although they are both nice).
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Somehow I knew you would...(smile).

M
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Since both the 3.0 V6 and the 4.3 V8 engine will be replaced very soon, I think it makes more sense to wait for the GS350 and GS460. Then the comparison would be more fair vs the Infiniti M.
    "I'm surprised that future 4.6L of GS only makes 315 hp, still 20 shy of M's 4.5. "

Where did you get this information? I have never seen any power ratings for the 4.6.
    Confused,

My choices were the M35 Sport, the Acura RL & the GS300. Liked all 3. Bought the GS. It's the 3rd Lexus we've owned and if it is as good as the first 2, it'll be yet another winner. i.e. Solid, smooth, comfortable, problem-free, great dealer support, easy to live with, and an very adequate perfomer (power and handling-wise). In our opinions, the new 2006 is by far the best looking one we've owned ('90 LS, '03 GS & '06 GS). In truth, however, had we been able to get the same deal trading our '03 GS, for a comparably equipped/stickered M Sport, we'd have bought the M. It's faster, sportier and roomier. We also thought the interior of the Sport M was just as attractive as the GS's. Our only concern was, will the Infinity's "overall" performance/reliability/dealer service levels live up to those we've enjoyed from Lexus. We were afraid not but, still, would have taken a chance and given the M the nod. Our problem was that the lowest cost to trade for the Infinity (3 dealers in the greater Dallas area) was still over $2.5K higher than from Lexus. That made our decision pretty easy. We've owned the new GS for about 10 days and, so far, love it. Lots of ooo's and ahhh's from friends, neighbors and (even) strangers. And, as always, a Lexus is it seems still, well . . . . A LEXUS!

Hope this helps rather than further, "confusing"!
  • jfd1jfd1 Member Posts: 3
    Right...I should have said they don't fold automatically when you shut the engine off. That can be programmed into some other models but not the new GS. I don't like people banging into the mirrors when the car is parked.
  • ao2ao2 Member Posts: 44
    Does anyone know if the Bluetooth for the phone works on the GS if you do not have Navigation... The website has conflicting info and the dealer had no clue..
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Sorry oac. Been away from this board for a while. I liked the driving dynamics of the GS430 a lot. Great steering and handling for a Lexus. The hide-away compartment to unclutter the dash is a stroke of genius unfortunately over-looked in its ingenious simplicity by BMW. Idrive-yeah right! What I didn't like were:
    1. skimpy opening of the sunroof
    2. incredibly narrow trunk opening-no golf clubs for this car!
    3. I couldn't get comfortable with my left leg-it was leaning against the door.
    4. I got to drive the M35 and M45 sport yesterday.
  • iancariancar Member Posts: 31
    When my friend was looking for a new sedan, I got a chance to take a ride (and a drive) in the all new Lexus GS430. The dealer offer us the top model, heavily loaded, to give it a test run. In my impression, the GS is a super sedan: come with german handling, tons of power, and traditonal lexus atribute: reliability, comfort and quiet interior. He had test drives with 5 series, E, and M45. He thinks the 5's exterior and technologies are killing the deal. E class is cramped and the dealer are treating us like bypasser (or maybe b/c we r riding on a chevy when we got there) My friends just loved everything in GS and he had no problem using 60k + to get one. The problem is (maybe only me think this way) a loaded GX 470 cost only 50k+. The price tag on GS suddenly make a gas-guzzler a good bargain. Worse, I brought a brand new 2005 LS for just north of 60k, roughly the same price as the GS he got, that making me even more happy with my new LS. I always think bigger, longer are pricier, GS really changes my mind. Or I guess GS is a preparation for the next LS to have Germans (or up) price tag.
    I would expect the next LS to range from maybe $65K up to as much as $80K
    It's clear you know me pretty well. :)
  • billdavbilldav Member Posts: 18
    After having the LS 400 for a number of years we now have the 2006 GS 300. When viewing in show room the lighting level was low and did not notice how small the trunk size is. Has the 300 always had a small trunk? I'm not looking forward to trying to fit suitcases in it.
    The GS has always had a much shorter rear deck than the LS, which leads to a smaller trunk opening. The new car is especially small, though.
    Anyone still seeking a comprehensive, detailed, unbiased, straight-forward review of the new GS should take a look at internetautoguide.com site. As the owner of a new GS I can attest to the fact that these guys seem to have squarely hit the proverbial nail-on-the-head with regard to their thorough, overall evaluation of the 3 GSs. They provide the good, the bad (not much) and the ugly (nada) in a highly clear-cut, non-emotional manner.

Worth a look.