Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• mks4mks4 Member Posts: 6
    I have the verizon Motorola V710 phone and I use verizon as my carrier. I can use the phone via bluetooth in my new GS300 AWD with ML/Nav, but I cant seem to import the phone book, can anyone make any suggestions?
  • wannabgood1wannabgood1 Member Posts: 25
    Jake,

That is a downright lie alright. You and I know invoice is much lower. I too am having trouble finding actual prices paid on the gs430. I live in chicago burbs and have spoken with two local lexus dealers each of whom is telling me that they are selling the 430 at msrp and they are not aware of any dealers going below. In addition, they say that supply is short and cars are selling as they arrive or before and that they believe this car will sell for msrp for the next 12 months. I suspect that is a bit of an exaggeration, but looks like msrp is the best we can do for foreseeable future. Based on this, i am leaning towards the m45 or possibly a new or very low mileage 05' gs430. I almost bought the latter last week where i had one at invoice w only 750 miles on it. Car sold today before i decided to go back and buy it.
  • statmanstatman Member Posts: 12
    Yes it's easy to sync the phone book from the Treo but it comes up by first name, last name. I couldn't figure out how to set it up by last name for searching thru the address book. You can download 3 different address books into the car. It only takes a few minutes. In the TREO contact list choose the MENU then Send Category. You first have to put the car in receive mode under the phonebook setup. It's very easy. The only thing I don't like is Lexus approach to blocking out the address book when the car is moving. I just use the treo to select the phone number while I am driving and the car automatically take over the call. If you want to use your phone you just press the Headset button on the treo and then call will be switched back to the phone. Sound quality is very good overall. Especially since the car is so quiet.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    2006 LEXUS GS300
    MSRP: $45,679
    YOUR PRICE: NOW $43,499*!!!!(price does not include tax, license or doc. fee & is good thru 5/20/05(in stock vehicles only) - $2,180 off MSRP

OR with navigation & mark levinson sound system:

MSRP: $50,209 NOW $47,499*!!! (in stock vehicles only) price does not include tax, license or doc. fee & is good thru 5/20/05 - $2,710 off MSRP

LEASE SPECIAL: BASE MODEL
    48 MONTHS
    12K MILES PER YEAR
    $2500 TOTAL DRIVE OFF EXPENSE
    PAYMENT- $567+TAX
    (Lease quote is subject to change and credit approval)

LEASE SPECIAL: NAVIGATION / MARK LEVINSON SOUND PACKAGE
    48 MONTHS
    12K MILES PER YEAR
    $2500 TOTAL DRIVE OFF EXPENSE
    PAYMENT- $629+TAX
    (Lease quote is subject to change and credit approval)

Note that I'm not on their GS 430 list so I do not know it's pricing. 80% of the GS's sold are the 300.
  • jakethesnakejakethesnake Member Posts: 19
    Thanks guys for your input.

Like you said the salesman are no willing to negotiate the price at all. It's MSRP or have a good day. You guys take a look at BMW 06 - 530i...with Sports Package, Navigation System, Automatic Transmission...they're asking 58K out the door which includes 9% for taxes and fees.

I guess I am willing to wait 3-6months to save around 5-6K.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I've heard this mantra numerous times. I don't see that it matters so long as you know the mark up and start the negotiations where you, not the dealer want. You, the buyer, are in control and make an offer at MSRP minus the full markup if you want to.
  • airlinephotoairlinephoto Member Posts: 60
    Got black exterior, grey interior. This car is amazing. I test drove the M35 first, that thing is JUNK- sounds like a p/u truck when you hit the gas and luxury? what luxury- compared to the GS, there is no comparison. Lexus is going to be selling ALOT of these cars, I have to stop myself from standing by my car and just staring at its fine lines.
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Well, those junky cars that sound like pick-up trucks will be looking at your car's lines in their rear-view mirror.

All kidding aside, there are many people (myself included) who like the lines better on the M. You would rather go for the lux over the sport. That is your choice (and the choice of many others). True, the GS is quieter. Some people like a little engine noise.

The GS is a nice, attractive, and luxurious car. I am sure you will enjoy it.
    My buddy said the same thing and i'll tell you the same- 280hp is nice but I want luxury and refinement, the M35 doesnt have it, sorry. When I test drove it all I saw was plastic everywhere, it's just not for me. Perhaps calling it junk is wrong, I was just so unimpressed with it. Maybe also because I testdrove the sport model which has no wood in it, it just had a real cheap look. You sit in an 06 GS 300 and you understand why the lexus with less HP is 5 grand more than the M.
    Look at the M vs GS from the back and compare, I drool when I look at the GS, the M just looks awkward to me from the back, probably because of the big tailights. From the side, the M looks very very hot, no question about it. When I first saw it I was like "whoaaa sweet" -its during the testdrive that I was utterly unimpressed.
    Funny after I test drove the GS 300 I was disappointed big time with the "sporty car" they were advertising. There were other issues with the interior also. The GS 430 had a much better ride but if I spend that much money I was going to get the most refined and luxurious Lexus out there, the LS.

The M35 non-sport interior finish was certainly luxurious (especially with black/rosewood) - sure it's not as luxurious as Lexus but wasn't that far off. As far as sporty - no contest - the Lexus drives like a Lexus, the Infiniti drives like a BMW. My 12-year old daughter thought the Lexus was too "girly" and the back seat was uncomfortable and difficult to get in to.

Actual selling prices of comparably equipped GS 300 and M35 are not that different. I drove the Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti and MB. Are the BMW and MB worth $10-15K more than their Japanese competition? I didn't think so but the German cars have outsold the Lexus and Infiniti the past two months. Too each his own.....
  • florida1florida1 Member Posts: 42
    Couldn't agree more---Wanted to like the heavily touted M but simply couldn't get over the lack of interior quality verses the GS or Audi--- Major difference

Anology:

M is like a $200 CASIO stereo (cheap bells and wistles etc) and the GS is like a finely tuned $2000 Pioneer Reciever
    I leased a GS 430 w/out ML and Nav for 36mos 36k miles nothing down $695.00 (w/out tax)---
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    The problem with your analogy is that usually a Casio will not perform better than a Pioneer. To call the technology features of the M, "cheap bells and whistles" sounds a little defensive. They both have similar technology with the exception of the lane-departure warning system of the M (questionable value). The Infiniti V6 is not a gimmick. The engine is universally praised. The V8 is also lauded for its smoothness. No doubt, the engines in the GS are very smooth.

Remember, looks are subjective.

They are both nice cars. The GS has the definite advantage in noise and MPG. Infiniti has the edge in sport and interior dimensions. Interior impressions vary depending on who you are. Some people think the matte finish on the wood in the M (and there is more wood in the M if you check the galleries on the respective web sites) is cheap-looking. Others can't stand the over-lacquered wood on the Lexus. As to exteriors, some people hate the rear of the M, while others think the rear of the GS looks bloated.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Hmmm, really. I've owned six Lexus' and therefore swear by their quality. I find that my new M35, however, measures up quite favorably. Therefore, this is obviously totally subjective and I can't agree with your "cheap bells and wistles" (sp) analogy. Moreover I found the quality of the plastic on the dash and interior upper door panels looking cheap and very un-Lexus-like.
    I've own Lexus' since 1992 and now bought a M35 and I agree with your quality assesment carnaught. I was a confirmed Lexus man and was all set to buy the new GS (at the time I didn't even know about the M35) but after driving it I said "that's the best they could do?". I was so disappointed that I continued my search and bought the M35. Infiniti targeted the BMW 5-series with the M and not the Lexus GS. Lexus said they targeted BMW but their actual target was former Lexus owners - not really a bad group of people to target!

I found the latest comparison of the GS430, 545 and M45 in this month's Road and Track to be well written. Their take on the cars pretty much matched mine. Each car is excellent but targets different users. They also agree with us about the Infiniti's quality - not yet Lexus-like but getting much closer and better than the BMWs.

I find it very interesting that the GS300 and M35 haven't been in a comparison test yet - a majority of purchases will be the V6 not the V8 models. I don't know if Lexus has any input into which cars get tested but the difference between the GS300 and the 530/M35 is far greater than the difference between the GS430 and the 545/M45. I would love to see this comparison but I think an AWD-V6 comparison would be more logical from the magazine's perspective. Road and Track has already commented that the GS300 AWD is underpowered.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    I second that emotion.

Give us a E350, GS300, M35, 530i/525i comparison. And heck throw in the A6 if you've got the time. That's what most of us who want these cars are going to be driving. And such an article is of value to everyone even those who are looking for the higher end models. Conversely, there's no point in me reading about the E500, GS430, M45 or 545i, because they're all out of my price range.
  • jo2jo2 Member Posts: 41
    Just an FYI to anyone interested in pricing on the GS300 RWD

I test drove the BMW 5 series, Audi A6, and the Lexus. I have to admit the A6 was nice but way too long. The 5 series was incredibly fast but way too expensive. So i got the GS 300 which was suprisingly quick but not overpriced.

GS300 RWD

MSRP 46,320
    13,800 miles per year thu US BANK
    39Month Lease

2000 down
    634/mo including tax

I went to the fleet manager who deals with more internet sales - He said the car was sold to me for 2k under sticker...

Anyone who is leasing also might want to check out Leasecompare.com - they have very competitive leases but remember that they're prices do not include tax.
    Hmmmmm --We understand your remorse over buying the M---it's evident in your reply you're dealing with a tremendous amount of regret----don't sweat it, a few years from now you'll be able to step back-up
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post (#2227). My comment about the cheap looking plastic on the dash and doors was about the new GS, not the M.

For the record, I have not buyers remorse and I am just as satisfied with the M as I've been with my past Lexus'. Look at the last sentence of post #2581 on the 2006 Infiniti M message board for a similar comment.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    "For the record, I have not buyers remorse and I am just as satisfied with the M as I've been with my past Lexus'"

and you are here reading the lexus forum to make sure you are satisfied and made the right choice. But are you sure?
    Relax---give it time you'll warm-up to the M in time
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Yeah sure. And if your credit was 750, they would say sorry it should be at least 760.
    I am assuming you live in Florida as do I. The Lexus prices in the Tampa area are totally outrageous. I'm also assuming you did the deal with Longo. Did you fly to pick up your car or did you have it shipped? If you had it shipped, how much was the shipping charge?
  • dgmcdermottdgmcdermott Member Posts: 10
    Just bought the 2006 GS 430 with the 430 standard alloy wheels. Noted moisture in the headlights. Dealer replaced the headlights a week later-and I noticed damage to two of the stock alloy wheels-the paint had been scraped off down to the base metal ion both the spoke section and also where the tire bead seats with the wheel

My question is, are these new alloy wheels, susceptible to paint damage due to their construction or low profile. The dealer, thinks the damage was caused by his car washer machine. He will repair the wheels, but I am concerned for future paint damage, or do I have a set of defective wheels???
    Actually I visit the Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus and MB forums because I'm interested in performance sedans. When I first visited the GS forum I wanted to see if others had the same impression of the GS as I did. Many did - some even recommended that I investigate other cars for comparison. Turned out to be a wise move.
  • dgmcdermottdgmcdermott Member Posts: 10
    Noted two of my wheels are experiencing what appears to be paint chipping. Are these rims supposed to be painted??? Dealer says he damaged them in his car wash. It appears to me a car wash should not have damaged them or maybe I have defective rims-any ideas??
  • soulundersoulunder Member Posts: 31
    Just picked up 06' GS 300 on Friday (Black). Car is very elegant with a shine you can see yourself in. However, in direct sunlight I noticed many fine scratches on several areas of the car. I assume other colors wouldn't show as easily. Anyone know of wax/compound of some sort that will take these scratches out? Plan to wash next weekend and would like to know what to purchase.
    On a new expensive car like this, I'd tell the dealer and have it professionally taken care of. That way they can't blame you for doing anything "wrong"..
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    You probably want to use swirl remover or another polish that removes fine scratches. Mothers swirl remover polish or Meguiars swirl remover polish do a good job.
    Congratulations! I got the black exterior, grey interior (not my first choice interior but it was in stock and I had to have it NOW, but I do like the gray, it's grown on me). I had a couple of thin scratches too- had the dealer take em out and he did for the most part. The black is so silky looking and rich on the GS300, I just love it. Good luck with the car, its a beaut!

JP
    Thanks much to all for your responses. Bought the car at a dealership three hours away, therefore going back is not a great option. (Got a great deal though) I'll try the swirl remover on a small area to see if it works. Can either product be purchased at normal outlets like Wal Mart, Target or national auto parts chain stores? By the way, went to local Mercedes dealer today and every black car there had paint scratches (swirls). I guess thats par for the course with black cars. It is pretty though..
  • statmanstatman Member Posts: 12
    Here is some advice for caring for black cars. You will almost always see some light scratches or swirl marks. Unless they are deep don't use compound. Use the swirl mark remover for black cars (3m sells it). Very important, don't use anything but micro fiber towels on the car. Chamois is fine as long as it's clean. Terry cloth (normal towels) will create light visible scratches in black paint. Don't ever use paper towel on the paint. Don't ever dust the car with a rag as the dust will scratch the paint. I recommend you get a California Duster which works great with no scratches. For quick cleanups of water spots, bird droppings, etc you can keep some Armor all instant car wash sheets in your truck. It's like a giant wet ones and it doesn't scratch. A good quality wax hides most of the swirl marks too. Good luck, black looks awesome when it's clean and waxed. Find a good car wash. Enjoy. I got a silver GS with black interior. The black carpet is very hard to keep clean and shows all the dirt, but does look rich when clean.
  • use2sellcarsuse2sellcars Member Posts: 10
    Why is MSRP not a fair price? Isn't it what Lexus thinks is the fair selling price of a car? Isn't that why they put a MSRP on the car cuz it's the fair price for what Lexus puts in the car?

In any car buying situation, the best deal you will get is the deal both you and the dealership agree on. What you think is fair isn't always the case, especially if it's way below where the market is.
  • howardg1howardg1 Member Posts: 14
    I also purchased the Silver GS-300 with the black interior. I was considering the Black/black, but as noted from others, the Black exterior was just too difficult to keep up, and the Silver looks sleeker to me (although, the Black has a more elegant look, at least when clean). Any special considerations in washing/waxing the Silver exterior?
    Have any tips for care of the interior. The black is difficult to keep clean. Do you use leather cleaner/conditioner on the seats? Use anything to protect the carpets?
    Any tips are greatly appreciated.
    Oh gimme a break. Nobody around here pays MSRP!
  • dvaldval Member Posts: 13
    Good luck with your new GS! It is super in black, but a bear to keep looking that way. There's some good advice above and I would add NEVER take it to a car wash. I had a black 98GS400 for 6 years and it looked like new when I sold it. Also never wipe only wash and dry with terry towels.
    I agree, taking your car especially a black car to a car wash is like taking your dog to the butcher instead of the vet- its just wrong. I hand wash my car with regular car wash solution and water and then use the yellow soft chamois, seems to do the trick and nothing difficult involved.

btw- i'm still getting a fair amount of looks at the car from other drivers (i'm in charlotte NC) as mine is just one of very very few on the road at this point. This car is absolutely gorgeous. It's a great fit for a successful early 30's y/o male in my opinion.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Swirl remover can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Target, as well as auto parts stores like Pep Boys, Advance AUto Parts, & AutoZone.
    Probably wouldn't be a bad fit for a very successful 60 year old male in MY opinion. ;)
    No question about it- 30 y/o, 60 y/o, etc it's all good, just that at the younger end of the spectrum affordability is an issue for many folks with a mortgage and 2 kids whereas at 60 y/o affordability is probably less of an issue (generally speaking).
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Member Posts: 35
    When the cars were out only 3 weeks, about 5 weeks ago, I offered to Bell Lexus in Scottsdale, AZ to pay $5000 below list for a $50,300car..they refused,,but 45 minutes later they called me back and accepted....dont believe anything the salesmen tell you, offer what you want and walk out, but dont be ridulous..I do believe you can buy for $3000 to $4000 off most anywhere..anybody who writes in and says they are paying list is either putting us on..or is a fool (and his money are soon parted!!!)
    No doubt about it. Lexus scored big in the styling department with the GS. I have yet to see one in the Tampa area. Which is good because BMW's are all over the place. This one will be a head-turner.
    Thanks much for your thorough response - this information helps considerably. I will wash this weekend using the tips I've received from this sight. I'd like my car to look show room new for many years to come. The black really is elegant, just creates a little extra work on my part.
    Care to recommend a car wash solution? Or does it really matter. There are zillions in the stores - just wonder if anyone has had better (or worse) results with one brand or another.
    One final car care question. What type of rag, sponge, mit, towel would you recommend washing the car with?
    Thats a load of bullshale- $5000 below MSRP on a hot new lexus that's been out for just a few weeks is garbage, sorry. You're wasting our time.
  • phaedrus3phaedrus3 Member Posts: 5
    Can't say enough about the Zaino products. My 5-year old GS looks brand new. I always wash it by hand and apply a new coat of Zaino every 6 months. Goes on super easy and looks amazing. It's not cheap, but it is worth it. I credit Edmunds for turning me on to it 5 years ago. Check the link below and browse around. You'll want Z5 for the scratches.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
    I am also on a corvette forum and they swear by Zaino but I recall reading that its a big long process with applying it, how do you do it and how long does it take?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Zaino has been a hot topic - literally :) - in our Forums since they began 7 or 8 years ago. If you want to check it out, here's a link: Zaino Polishes/Products.

Enjoy!