Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    from the smart comments about the smart key. The question has been asked and answered and there isn't any reason to keep beating it into the ground.
  • lexi300lexi300 Member Posts: 36
    It's set to the E815 default (at purchase), which I think is called STANDARD. It's a synthesized sound that sounds like an old phone ringing.
  • ao2ao2 Member Posts: 44
    Interesting...the V710 default (which seems like the same ringer) does not ring on the LXS
  • pacific777pacific777 Member Posts: 6
    I heard Verizon has released the LG VX8100. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried to pair this particular model with the 2006 GS300. Thanks.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Can anyone tell me how the park assist works? When going in reverse, do you have to switch it on, or does it come on automatically? If you have this option installed, does it disable/override the backup camera?

Thanks!
    You have to turn on the park assist feature using one of the buttons in the drop down panel to the left of the steering column. I think the button is labeled with a "P" and some other icon. You will know that the feature is activated if you see the indicator green light on the instrument cluster -- It's a "P" with a triangular icon next to it. It will not disable the backup camera. Instead, if you are approaching an object too closely, the small park assist screen will appear in the corner of the image. You can adjust other advanced features of the park assist function using touch screen display and the Info button located to the left or right (depending on what model and other feature you have on your car) of the screen. Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply! That was very helpful.

I'm surprised that they don't have it come on automatically when the car is in reverse (like every other park assist I've seen on Audis and BMWs).
    ao2, thx for the advice. I bought an S56 on ebay as you recommended. Does it need a SIM card for the phonebook to work? When I turn on the phone, it says "Insert SIM card." Without the SIM card, the menu function on the phone doesn't appear to have an option for the phonebook. I tried to use a SIM card from another provider (not Cingular), but the phone says "Locked". Am I missing something? If it needs a SIM card (apparently a Cingular SIM card), what do you recommend I get (pre-paid and activated with a phone number?). Help! Once I get the phonebook downloaded, I'll then decide whether to get the E815 or the LG VX8100. Still haven't heard from anyone yet on whether the VX8100 works with the GS300. Thx. for your help.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I'm surprised that they don't have it come on automatically when the car is in reverse (like every other park assist I've seen on Audis and BMWs).

I agree; I suspect that having to open the drop-down panel and push the button everytime will be a pain :confuse: Thus folks may only tend to use it when they "think" they may need it, which could be too late :blush:
    Not sure about the SIM Card - mine actually came with a SIM CARD so I don't get that message.

To be honest, since I use VZ, I don't even know how those SIM cards work
    It only needs to be turned on once....

The setting you select stays until you change it
    The setting you select stays until you change it

Interesting. Since it activates both front and rear at the same time, does that mean it will go off at stoplights, or does it deactivate temporarily when you go above a certain speed?

On my father's Audi, the rear activates when you go into reverse, and there's a button to activate the front sensors. When you go above 10 MPH, it deactivates both. Pretty much the same with BMW, but they use distance as well.

If the Lexus park assist stays on until you turn it off, and both front and rear are either both on or both off (no 'rear only' setting), I'm not sure how that would work with city driving.
  • jgs2006jgs2006 Member Posts: 4
    on the lexus u can leave the park assist on you dont need to trun it on ever time, u can also turn it off, but if u leave it on it will be on always even after u turn off and on your car the park assist u need to be with in like 2 feet or elss for ti to come on in traffic so unless u are riding on ther butts at a light it wont matter, if it comes on u can turn it off, only time i ever turn it off is when i am in a drive thou bank or fast food, other then that i leave it on alll the time, and also the parkassist will also show up in your little screen above your wheel. hope that helps you all :shades:
    You also need to turn it off sometimes when driving in the city.

I drive in manhattan and it goes nuts with it on
  • jdgs300jdgs300 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 GS300 and upgraded to the LGVX8100 last week. The Bluetooth pairing went without a hitch and its working just fine. Of course, as with previous Verizon phones, it doesn't support the downloading of the phone book...
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I read somewhere (maybe here) that about August 1, Lexus is going to offer optional placements for the satellite radio antenna (aside from the unsightly black box on the trunk!), and offer Serius as well as XM. Does anyone have any additional details?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Does anyone in the NJ area own a GS300? I havent seen a single one yet. 4 in 5 are AWD GS300s, and the other one is a GS430. Of course, this is all just what I've seen on the road... but geez.... is the RWD GS300 even available in the Greater NY region?

~alpha
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I live in NJ, Princeton area and I have seen alot of GS's. I've been seeing more GS's than the new M from Infiniti.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I don't believe anything will happen in terms of satellite radio antenna placement August 1. The new IS launches October 1 and it will offer satellite radio as a dealer-installed option just like the GS, meaning the ugly black box antenna should be the same (although in the dealer information on the new IS it says both XM and Sirius will be offered but not at introduction). I think once Lexus offers satellite radio as factory-installed (not dealer-installed) you'll probably see an outside antenna at the rear of the roof (just my speculation).

Looking at an XM radio press release dated May 13, 2005, there is this statement:

"Starting in 2006, XM will be available as factory-installed equipment in a variety of Toyota and Lexus vehicles."
    Thanks, I see a lot too, but that doesnt answer my question at all.

~alpha
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I'm in MD and they have them down here. Not sure if you want to travel.
    Thanks for the info. Since the satellite radio is dealer-installed, I take it I could have the radio installed after purchase (as you did), and by an entirely different dealer. Is that correct? Since I live in the Chicago area and may buy from a Calif. dealer, can I wait and have the radio installed at home when the Sirius radio & antenna are available?
    Yes....I bought the car and got an IOU for Sirius Radio from the dealer once it comes in (i.e. it can be installed post delivery, anywhere)
    Thanks, ao2. That's good to know. I'd rather wait for the satellite radio until the antenna can be placed someplace reasonable and inconspicuous. It's odd that Lexus has delayed factory installation with the roof shark fin antenna, like other manufacturers.
    Toyota/Lexus has announced price increases of some models as of August 1. Anybody know whether the GS is included and how much?
    to the amount of $250 hitting MSRP.

Very minimal, about one half of one percent.

~alpha
  • indiana97indiana97 Member Posts: 58
    Yes, Sirius is now available for the 2006 GS. I declined XM in my GS300 back in
    late May and indicated I wanted to wait for Sirius that was scheduled to be
    available by Aug 1. I talked to my Dealer last week and parts manager has
    ordered Sirius parts for my GS. If you go to www. lexus-parts.com go to
    GS430/300 parts and find the part numbers for the GS Sirius and order if you
    want. I understand the Sirius antenna will be mounted inside on the windshield
    glass behind the rear view mirror. Sounds like a much better placement then on
    the side of the trunk (XM). There is no way I would put a 3"x3" black XM antenna
    there (Silver GS). The Sirius antenna is stated to be a new more powerful one
    even though it will be much smaller and thinner. I have had Sirius in the past
    and have missed it. Hope to have my Sirius installed in the next few wks.
    Thanks for the news...that's great..

I'm going to go call my dealer!!
    I try and avoid commenting on vehicle styling, since its such a subjective matter, but I stopped by the Lexus dealership today.... the new GS has to be one of the most beautifully designed vehicles on the road, inside and out. It is simply stunning, leading me to comb through the incredibly well done brochure several times...

Congrats to the new owners, I wish you many enjoyable miles!!

~alpha
  • airlinephotoairlinephoto Member Posts: 60
    Thanks Alpha, when I saw the GS3 for the first time on the dealer lot I nearly lost it, I said that car is just gorgeous, and I had just come from the Infiniti dealer. I was gonna go infiniti, lexus, bmw and pick 1 but after the GS3 I stopped, it swept me off my feet, now I have a black one :shades:
    Hopefully you didn't "lose it" in front of the dealer - doesn't usually bode well for a great deal.
    You're 100% right, I did not lose it in front of the salesman, just in front of my wife when we parked to go look at it.

JP
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146

A V6 with 35 more Horses than the V8. Hmmmm...
  • gs400lexusgs400lexus Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a GS400 and was interested in the new GS430, but wanted an AWD car. Does anyone know when/if the GS430 will be offered in the AWD setup?
  • zenmonkizenmonki Member Posts: 1
    Actually, the Smart Access Key only transmits RF data in the following situations:
    1.) A button is pushed.
    2.) The key moves within sensor-range of the vehicle's low-frequency transmitters.

When the vehicle is parked, it (not the key) broadcasts a very low-power, low-frequency polling signal. If a Smart Key enters the detection range (only a few meters at best), the key will communicate back. Once the handshakes and security authentications are done, the vehicle stops polling and the key goes back to sleep.
  • mascarasmascaras Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 GS300 about a month ago. I enjoy the car. However, last weekend something very peculiar happened. I parallel parked next to a lawn. As I closed the door it slightly brushed the grass. (I did not have to use extra force to close it). Amazingly, the door molding on the bottom of the door fell completely off. I took it back to the dealer and the service guy says he's doing me a favor by paying for the parts and labor to fix it. He says it's not under warranty. (That was even more amazing than the door falling apart). Has anyone else experienced a similar door problem?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Well typically manufacturer's do not cover parts that are broken due to user error. They replace parts that are due to a manufacturing defect. Of course I'm not saying it was your fault, the part could have been installed improperly from the factory.
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    I very much like the new GS, but I have 2 kids and was a bit concerned about the trunk and rear seat space. I was thinking of saving a few bucks to go with a used previous model GS. It seems to be roomier. Any thoughts from new GS owners?
    If you're looking to save a few bucks, go with a used LS430 for maybe slightly less than a new GS, it will give you the room you need. I have an 06 GS3 and use it to commute to the office, we have an 05 odyssey that my wife transports the kids in so I guess for me the back space and trunk were none issues, just the fact that the car is drop dead gorgeous and is great for commuting and hey, its a Lexus...

JP
    The door molding fell off - because of grass? How tall was it? You say that you didn't have to use any extra force to close it, but the grass must have, at a minimum, grabbed the door at least a little bit to rip the molding off.

Yipes - weird story!
  • mascarasmascaras Member Posts: 2
    It was regular lawn grass height. There was nothing unusual about it. I (and I'm sure you) have closed car doors in similar situations many times without even thinking about it. The grass rubbed the bottom of the door. The door did not jam into the turf. I know it's a weird story, but it's true.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Cutting the speed pulse wire will void your factory warranty and degrade the accuracy of the navigation system. Plus, voice guidance will stop working completely!

I understand that it would be nice to use some of the features but it is extremely dangerous to use them while driving. Not only could you gravely injure someone else... you could potentially harm yourself. For safety's sake pull over to dial a call. ;)
    Most systems will not allow the entire phone book to transfer. All of the entries will have to be done one by one. ;)
    The Blackberry is not an approved Bluetooth device which means you will experience several difficulties using the cell phone with the vehicle. ;)
  • 43810774381077 Member Posts: 31
    A couple of mag articles I've seen ( can't remember which Mags) say the awd 430 will be coming in the spring of 06, but as a hybrid. If you go to the new gs section on this site and look at the 2007 gs ( future model) I think that says it as well
  • lyttonlytton Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone seen the C.R. article comapring the GS300/M35X/Acura RL/ Cadillac STS/Audi A6?
    Although the GS is 'recommended', they did a hatchet job on the GS...Some of their criticsms were valid, but overall it was a peculiar review (for the record, I own a 2006 GS AWD )
    What did you find inaccurate about the CR review of the GS300? You have the identical car, so I'm curious about your reaction.

I've driven the car, loved it, and was surprised at their review. True, the car doesn't have a lot of headroom and the trunk is small, but I thought the car handled and steered well, the ride was good, the seats were comfortable, the driving position fine, etc. The accessory switches in the drop down box on the left was a little inconvenient maybe, but that's nitpicking.

What say you?
  • simba2simba2 Member Posts: 3
    CU tests cars like R&T tests toasters.
    simba. Oh, and the car mags are real objective and give you real world info that drivers can use. NOT. The car mags weight almost exclusively on handling and power. Almost nothing on anything else that matters: ride, comfort, room, and most of all reliability, which to them is irrelevant. Of course, they don't have to pay to repair the cars!

CR weights all these things, certainly more valuable than the overgrown adolescents who write for the car rags.

CR's testers are automotive engineers.
  • lexi300lexi300 Member Posts: 36
    I went to the library to catch the review today, but they didn't have that issue out on the shelves yet.

I'll be interested to read it when I get to it.

I'm a chick, 44, 5'0, 130. Cons? Because I have the seat up high for visibility, even *I* notice that the car doesn't have a lot of headroom. And I don't mind the drop-down controls, but I wish they'd put the trunk and gas releases right next to the drop-down button, outside rather than in the drop-down console. The trunk *is* too small, but I didn't buy the GS300 AWD to haul things.

All in all, for me, it's a great car, and I'm just not noticing any lack of power in the engine. Quite the opposite -- I'm having to do all I can to keep from going more than 10 miles per hour over the limit! The car feels (to me) like it's standing still when it's going 75.

I like the look of it so much better than the old GS300, and I was not looking for anything that wasn't AWD. For me, this is the perfect car.