Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    lexi: Thanks for your impressions. I was really quite surprised at the Consumer Reports review of the GS300. They tested 5 luxury performance cars and the Lexus was rated lowest of the five, believe it or not, below the Inf. M35, Audi A6, Caddy STS, Acura RL.

The Infinite M35 got the raves.

They felt the Lexus wasn't very sporty in its handling, with body lean in turns, the steering was numb, and the highway ride is "jittery." Is that your impression?

They said the driving position wasn't good because there was a "bump in the driver's footwell." Do you feel that? Is it uncomfortable?.

In all, however, they still rated the car "very good", just below the others that ranged from very, very good to outright excellent in the case of the M35.
  • lexi300lexi300 Member Posts: 36
    I don't agree with their assessments about handling, turning, steering, or highway drive. Not at all. I think it handles very well (although I don't drive it as if it needs to hold 20G going around a curve), I think the steering is intuitive: it does what I expect. (It has variable assist, so you need to turn harder when going faster, but I don't notice it.) HIghway driving is a dream because all I remember is the music I have on during the drive.

Yes, I notice that bump in the driver's footwell. But I have very short legs and my leg rests right on a very nicely angled left-foot rest. I could see where someone with longer legs than me might have a little trouble with it.

The GS430, with its variable ratio steering and full vehicle dynamic integrated management has been criticized by many as being numb and overbearing. However, the GS300 usually escapes these criticisms since less is decided by the car and more by the driver.

The Infiniti, Audi, Cadillac, and Acura are surely contenders. I don't at all like the M35/45's interior, with its large change in forward position down the instrument panel between the driver and passenger. I haven't test driven it, but all the reviews I have read have been very sold on it.

We're lucky to have such a competent and fun group of cars to choose from.
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    Navguy1: I agree that cutting the phone speed sensor wire may affect the factory warranty. Based on my personal experience it does not affect the accuracy or functionality of the navigation system in any way. I believe that the phone and navigation systems have separate speed sensors with independent wiring.
    My understanding is that most other manufacturers allow on screen dialing while the car is in motion. As I stated in my original post, assuming that you have to make calls from a moving vehicle at times for business or other reasons, I feel that dialing on the small phone keypad is more dangerous than using the large navigation screen. I personally use the one touch dial function on the nav screen for most of my calls and that is available in moving cars that have not been modified. When I or my passenger does need to dial unstored numbers, having full keypad functionality on the nav screen is useful.
  • ao2ao2 Member Posts: 44
    I completely agree...

More dangerous is that when a call comes in, if it is not in your LXS phonebook - nothing shows up on the Caller ID. You then have to pull your phone out of your pocket/briefcase to look at who's calling..... There is no way that's safe.

This is my biggest complaint with this car (so far)
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    CU tests cars like R&T tests toasters.

Some people don't let the facts cloud their perceptions of reality :blush: :sick:
    I'm amazed people really believe this garabage :confuse:

A little research will reveal just how state-of -the-art CR's automoble test facility is.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I haven't test driven it, but all the reviews I have read have been very sold on it.

True, most have loved it - the exception has been Edmunds. Edmunds gave it poor marks (finished in 3rd place out of 5) because they dispised its styling, particularly the interior.
  • funguyfunguy Member Posts: 11
    I have had a very satisfying experience with the Lexus dealer in my area. He was willing to talk prices and dealer mark-up, while the Infinity salesman indicated that the cars were basically going for MSRP. This was in April. I waited a month and then told both dealers I was undecided between the two cars. I liked the styling on the Lexus and the interior was not as busy, particularly the dash, compared to the Infinity. I liked the Infinity trunk, headroom, and rear seat better. After driving both cars for the second time, I decided on the GS 300. The M 35 sport was too stiff and jarring and the non-sport was softer than the GS, which seemed to fall in between the two Infiniti models. Also the GS was definitely quieter. I ordered the Flint Mica with the ML stereo and Nav and the ash interior. The charcoal grey dash goes much better with the grey than the tan interior. I had to wait 6 weeks for the car after they located it in production.

After 1 month of driving the car, I must say that I am more than pleased with the handling and the gas mileage. I can't wait to take my first 'road trip'. The exterior colar is also ery intriguing. On a gray day it almost looks black or at times, navy. In the sun you can see the charcoal color and the little flecks in the paint...looks like a different car. I love it!

Funguy
  • medpedsdocmedpedsdoc Member Posts: 8
    More than 4 months ago I put in an order in the North East for a GS 300 AWD with NAV and ML and am still waiting. The color combo I want (Blue with Black interior) still isn’t available. Current dilemma ....I negotiated ~1200 off retail, but should I re-negotiate as I expect they are going for greater discounts at present. Any quotes I can bring to my re-negotiation?
    An AWD withOUT ML and NAV should go for at LEAST $3000 (maybe $4000) below MSRP. I would think you could get even a little more off with ML and NAV, since there's a markup there.

Good luck!

And remember -- as much as you want the car, walk OUT of the dealer if they won't do that. They WILL call you back. With a better deal. They need to see that you are serious.
  • stealthawdstealthawd Member Posts: 3
    I just pick up a new 06 GS300 AWD and have put 300 miles on the car, and I have noticed that my ride fees rough (like I have snow tires on or something) at all speeds. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have run flats and all of the tires are set at 39 psi.

I test drove a loan overnight prior to buying my car, and the ride was smooth. My ride quailty is not smooth. I am going to bring it back to the dealer to check it out, but I was wondering if others have experienced this, and if so, how it was fixed. Thanks
    Sticker was $51.8K ..I paid $47.6K....Nav, ML, Rain Sensing, Cargo Net....fully loaded.
    stealthawd: Where are you located?
    Purchased my car on the last day of July....so I had some leverage on price :)
  • vroommdtvroommdt Member Posts: 11
    medpedsdoc- I had the same experience when I ordered a color combo that wasn't being made at the time. I was told the wait would be 120 days, but it was more like 150 days. I was originally offered 1K off msrp but by the timew the car came in, the dealers in the area were discounting-approx 6K off msrp...via online sales. I was able to get that price. My advice is to get quotes via the internet from the dealers in your area and deal with it that way from the start.
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    Take a drive to North Carolina. I walked into the Lexus dealership in Greensboro, NC yesterday and they had about 15 GS's on the lot, and a handful of AWD (not in demand down here). I think the sales for the GS must be slipping, or supply has caught up with demand. My salesman said they were "heavily discounting" the GS.....
    Sirius is now officially available:
    http://www.shareholder.com/sirius/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=170111&cat=&newsroom=

However, my dealer claims he is having problems ordering the part.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "I have run flats and all of the tires are set at 39 psi."

run flats, and a PSI of 39 could have something to do with the rough ride. I don't know about run flats, but generally most cars range between about 30-32PSI, cold tire pressure.

Did you test drive a similar GS to the one you bought, meaning a AWD with runflats??
    No, I don't notice this problem on my 2006 GS300 AWD. Tires are supposed to be set around 32 or 33 psi cold.
  • chrisg1chrisg1 Member Posts: 16
    vroommdt: Did the dealer tell you that it would be no problem to order a color combo not available? I want Cypress Pearl w/black interior, it only comes in light interior, but the dealer told me no can do...I'm willing to wait to get it.
  • chrisg1chrisg1 Member Posts: 16
    Also, what color combo did you want?
  • medpedsdocmedpedsdoc Member Posts: 8
    My apologies to those who have asked and answered this before, but has anyone been successful in using the LG Sprint phone: PM-325? One poster stated that the Sprint guy couldn’t get his PM-325 to talk to the GS 300. Interestingly, it is the only Sprint phone on the Infinity Bluetooth site. Any experience? I am reluctant to go the Treo route if only due to bulk of the phone.
  • vroommdtvroommdt Member Posts: 11
    My understanding is that you can order any color combination that Lexus is showing on their website. The problem is that they are not making all of the combos that they show---yet. Back earlier in the year when the car 1st came out, they seemed to be delivering light colors outside and inside. I wanted red with black interior and it wasnt being made. When mine finally arrived 5!! mos later, another GS430 with the same color combo showed up at local dealer and I have seen 300's with that combo now. This leads me to believe that Toyata/Lexus has a schedule for producing the cars in certain colors and interior combos and that the dealers may not be privy to that info. If you are getting a 300AWD it seems that Cashmere leather w golden birdseye maple is the only choice.Sorry. Black would look great, I agree. I think the Lexus guys are missing a color gene.
    After spending many hours test driving and lurking on these message boards, I have decided to buy a Lexus. I really caught the bug last week when I saw some of the discounted lease terms on the 05 LS's. Although I will likely be buying a GS300, I considered an LS due to my new commute- 30 miles of straight interstate each way- as well as another addition to the family in 2 months. However, I wanted a little more sport, so I'm leaning towards the GS.

My question is this: do you think the intro of the new IS 250/350 will pull demand away from the GS? I am already seeing an increase in inventory and some deals on the GS, but I think that Lexus will be competing with themselves when the new IS arrives. My Audi CPO warranty runs out in November, so I'm thinking about buying during the "December to Remember" sales drive, which is after the IS becomes available.

I haven't completely ruled-out the LS, but my budget will probably only accomodate a used one. I want most of the feature of the 2004 and newer, and there's not much 2004 inventory right now. I would hope the inventory would be better in December.

Comments?
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    A friend is looking to complete the gold package on his 06 GS with gold plated exhaust tips.

Anyone know where he can get them electrostatic plated or just buy new gold plated tips?
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Look for a metal plating company in your area Yellow Book or on line search engine. Why do you want to convert your Lexus to look like a pimpmobile?
  • tdudnyktdudnyk Member Posts: 3
    Have had 2006 GS AWD for 2 weeks now. Bought it loaded. I am way more impressed with this car now than I was when I test drove it. I was a BMW owner (330xi) who was constantly frustrated by the lack of attention to the small details. I drive 25-30K miles/year. Here's why I am in admiration of my GS:

1. The interior is stunning. Keyless entry is just awesome. Everything is ergonomic. The bluetooth phone connection is awesome. Example: listening to Mark Levinson sound system (loud) and I have an incoming call. Car stops the radio, notifies me of the call, I answer the call on the steering wheel, I talk on the phone through the stereo speakers (listeners say the sound quality is amazing), and when I hang up (again on the steering wheel), the sound system goes right back to where it was.
    2. Navigation system you can not only use, it is powerful and easy. Just dial in the phone number of your destination, pick its name from a list, and three routes are given to you. Pick your route and you are on your way. I've yet to get lost, or it not know a road or intersection. I used it from two locations where I had no idea how to get somewhere. It worked both times, using roads I would have never found. I'm tickled with it.
    3. AWD is great. I tried to spin the tires up in a downpour (roads were soaked) from a dead stop. I absolutely could not do it. There wasn't any slippage. Furthermore, it accelerated just as fast as if it was on dry pavement.

This car is not a BMW. It does not relish digging into corners. It doesn't have a turbine-like engine (like my 330). But it is plenty fast, has a smoother ride, and can take corners when needed. I always felt beaten up in my BMW because the roads are so damned bad where I live. Not with the GS. If you drive alot, and need your car to integrate with your lifestyle, the GS is miles ahead of BMW. I absolutely could not figure out iDrive at all, and I am a techy, and 34 years old.
  • janeg2janeg2 Member Posts: 22
    tdudnyk-

I know just how you feel about your 2006 GS 300 ! You explained it so well.

I had come from a 1998 GS 300 and actually shopped the M35 just to be sure I wasn't missing anything. The more I returned to test drive the M35, the more things about it really irritated me and finally made it clear what a fine car the GS really was.

I only * thought* I knew what a fine car I was getting. Its totally delightful to drive and I can't finish telling my husband how much I love this car.

Your're so right about comparing it to BMW (and infiniti ) - the GS in its own category of refinement and smooth power and quiet elegance that's just not found in the others.

The stats and printed material about the cars in this category don't even begin to tell the story. Its all in the pleasure of the drive and the attention to details, and I know I'm one lucky girl.

jane ellen
  • m35girlm35girl Member Posts: 18
    I have an Infiniti M and just got the LG 325 from spint. It recognized the phone right away and works just fine with the car. I heard it doesn't transfer the phone book because of something Sprint does to disable it, so I havent tried it. I don't know why the GS 300 should be any different.
  • statmanstatman Member Posts: 12
    I have a GS300 AWD and have not read the Consumer Reports article yet but if they said the car was jittery on the highway they are way off. I have had the car for almost 4 months and the car rides incredible on the highway. So smooth you won't notice how fast you are going. I test drove an infinity M twice and an RL twice and felt the Lexus drove much better. True you can't hear the engine whine like in the M and RL but that is exactly want I didn't want in a luxury car. I talk on the phone a lot using bluetooth which by the way works better with my Treo650 than the speaker phone that comes with the Treo. I guess people just prefer all the road noise, rattles, muffler banging, uncomfortable passenger seats, dim headlights and tire scrapes that the M offers (read the M problem forum). The only thing I don't like about the Lexus is that I can't program the Navi or access the telephone dial pad while driving. The only problem I have had so far was I got a nail in my run flat. It must have been in there a few weeks and I only noticed it while detailing the tires. I tried to pull it out thinking it was a screw in the tread but realized it was a double headed nail. Then the low pressure tire light came on. I called the dealer, they told me to come right down so I drove the car in and they fixed it in about 10 minutes. How's that for service. As for the bump in the drivers footwell, I have been driving the car for about 4 months and didn't notice it till I checked today. Yes it's there if you move your foot off the accelerator to the right. It hasn't bothered me any. I think the steering is fine and I also drive an SL500. As for body lean, I have not noticed any yet but hell, I only drive about 10 mph over the speed limit. I drove all those cars CR tested before getting a Lexus and only the M was a contender in my opinion. Since when don't predicted reliability, safety and fuel economy weigh heavily in Consumer Reports picks.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Has anyone taken a GS300 rwd on a long road trip? What kind of mileage did you get on the highway?
    27-29 mpg

2006 GS300 AWD
  • indiana97indiana97 Member Posts: 58
    On a 500 mile trip dirving average 70 mph I got 30.7 mpg. I am getting 26 to 27 mpg overall, driving about 50/50 highway/city. I am very happy with my gas mileage. I had a 2004 RX330 and was averaging 21-22 mpg highway trips and 17-18 mpg overall before trading for my GS300. I really enjoy driving my GS300. Very smooth, quiet ride which I prefer over other cars in the GS class that seem to be getting higher marks by Auto reviews. I considered other cars in this class but I am very glad I went with the GS. My GS just turned 3000 miles.
    I started a new discussion of the GS 300 vs M35 I'm really having difficulty between the two. I would be interested in the thoughts of those who chose the GS300.

Thanks.
    I have been unimpressed with my gas mileage.

I drive mostly on the highway (granted more of a stop and go type highway) and seem to average just under 21.0
  • janeg2janeg2 Member Posts: 22
    I've gotten 29.5 to 30.5 when its only highway mileage.
  • gillekengilleken Member Posts: 4
    Took delivery of an AWD GS 300 with run-flats in April this year. Current mileage is 4,000. City MPG run around 27-28. HWY MPG averages 30-32 plus. Tend to drive conservatively, not flooring, and paying attention to the display. Considering AWD, handling, and reserve power, who can ask for more? Using mid grade gas, not premium. Runs like a charm...Consumer Reports off base on their call! Looked at Infiniti M prior to buying, but all the research I've seen suggests poor MPG performance versus the GS. Very satisfied with the GS, even though it just last week picked up a stone, quickly growing into a 11 inch windshield crack. Replacement with orig. equipment will cost $1,300...ouch!
  • bocabobbi1bocabobbi1 Member Posts: 4
    I have been getting about the same gas mileage as you - around 21 mpg on mixed highway and street driving. However, I do love the car and have been very happy with it. I have mine about 4 months now and have about 2500 miles on mine.
    dont you have full glass?
  • ede4ede4 Member Posts: 1
    I've been comparing the new gs 430 to the infinite m45 sport. I was pretty sure the m45 would be the better performer but then I ran across exodus - style and performance for lexus when searching google the other day. anyone hear of this company?
  • ahom12ahom12 Member Posts: 10
    Just picked up my gs300 and love it! Smooth, quiet, and the appointments are first rate. However, being a Verizon Wireless customer I cannot upload my address book to the car. I thought I remember seeing a post of someone getting around it or putting in the numbers 1-one-1, but I can't seem to do it. :( Anyone have any tips how they got their phone book into the car? I'm tempted to purchase a cheap pda to upload if necessary!

Many thx in advance.
    ahom12
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    One way to do it is to get hold of a non Verizon Bluetooth phone and use that to get the address book entries into the car system. Once there they can be used with your Verizon or any other phone. I have heard that some Lexus dealers will help you do this. Getting hold of a used non Verizon Bluetooth phone with no active cellular service would be a less expensive way to do it but I am not sure if those will allow you to upload your entries.
    I have a laptop, so I will try to buy a bluetooth adapter to make my laptop bluetooth compatible and try to export my address book from there. I'll post to the group if that works.
    A non-activated bluetooth (non-verizon) phone will work. I bought one on ebay for cheap ($30) and keep it at home.

Easier than buying a bluetooth adaptor for your laptop
  • tdudnyktdudnyk Member Posts: 3
    I know. The car mags panned the GS for being too 'un bmw-like' but that is what makes the car so awesome. Every day I drive this thing the more amazed I am with it. There isn't any other car on the road that does everything so well. There just aren't any trade-offs with the GS....not even AWD! I told my wife it is the best 58K we ever spent, that is how happy we are with it.
    Well, looks like you are right. I got the bluetooth adapter and it didn't support the profile I needed (and only found out after I purchased). Looks like you did the right thing. I'll try that next. :(

ahom12
  • crimsono2crimsono2 Member Posts: 31
    I guess if anyone really wanted to know what kind of specs we'd expect to get next year with a GS350, just pop on over to the Japan website and take a look.

My apologies if this was mentioned beforehand. I tried a search earlier and did not find anything pertaining to it.
    How do you access the Japanese web site?
  • moto06moto06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 GS300. When playing my CD's, the titles don't show on the display. I was told by Lexus that my CDs don't have TEXT on them so they won't show on the display. I'm unsure whether they are just telling me this so I'll go away or if it really is the problem. The exact icon reads: Compact Disc Digital Audio Text. Has anyone else had this problem and was it resolved or do I really need a CD that has the TEXT icon?
    There was a post on the CL site awhile back about the ML DVD Audio playback. It said that the ML system only can use 2 channles of the 5.1 DVD-A soundtrack and "interprets" the rest of the channels. Is this correct? Also, can you access the menus and other visual content from the Nav screen?