Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    Possibly in the market for a new GS 300. One of local dealers has 5 GS300's that they used in their loaner fleets. They have about 1000 miles on them. None have been titled. Fortunately, all are in the color combo that I want. Any guess as to how much to ask for one? I'm thinking at least below invoice. Their are plenty of GS's on dealer lots and I'm guessing I can have a non-loaner GS for about 500-1000 over invoice.
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    For what may be very little cost difference, go for the new one. Even Lexus owners will probably do things in a loaner that they wouldn't do in their own car. Why take the risk?
  • mechrad1mechrad1 Member Posts: 26
    I also am interested in peoples opinions on the resale of gs 430 when 350 comes out. Should have about same hp and somewhat less torque. Gs 430 going for in the mid 50s range now. How could it possibly hold value with larger engine 6 cyl and more powerful 8 cyl coming out. Gs 300 being somewhat less expensive (relative statement) I think would hold slightly better. I test drove the Is350 and gs 300 back to back. I need that engine in the gs for what I believe to be the perfect vehicle. I bought a used jag as an interim car last year to hold me over till the gs 350. Should be great car
  • tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    Finally was able to test drive a GS300 today. I am comparing it to the Acura RL. I think the exterior styling is more unique in the GS300, and to me the interior finish on the GS300 looks better. In addition, driving feels more refined than the RL. However, I can't get over the headroom in the drivers seat. The salesperson looked at me like I was the first and only person EVER to have mentioned it. From a review of this board, it seems like others have noticed the same thing. He claims they have not yet made a stock car in the Midwest without the sunroof - a factory order was quoted to me as 120 days, and I am sure there isn't much of a discount on a custom order. It's a very tough one. Obviously neither is a bad car. Styling and driving differences I can understand between 2 manufactures. But should headroom really be an issue in a 45-50K sedan?? Am I nitpicking or would I get used to it (I am 6'1"). I guess I am back to looking for a deal on a 2005 RL. Otherwise though, the GS300 is a great car.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I am 6'2". Headroom wasn't an issue since I tend to slouch. But legroom was.
    I could not manipulate the driver's seat to really get comfortable. Although I liked the lumbar support.
    I laughed when I saw the trunk! I had to ask. The salesman sure wasn't going to show it to me on his own.
    The car seemed to lurch forward when gently stepping on the accelerator.
    I liked it (GS300) better than the 430 which had awful steering and grabby brakes.
    PS-I wound up leasing a BMW 545 for 3 years.
  • pfrasspfrass Member Posts: 5
    I have a GS 300 without NAV and would like to know if the audio display can be kept on continously. Each time the audio button is pressed, the audio screen will come on, but will go back to the standard display with gas mileage, etc. after a minute or so. Is there any way to either change the default screen to audio or make it stay on audio until the vehicle is powered off when audio is chosen?
  • bigzip1bigzip1 Member Posts: 5
    Mine has NAV but the way I set it to make the radio screen stay on is, press the "info button" then touch "screen setttings" then touch "off".
  • ao2ao2 Member Posts: 44
    Works the same way without the NAV....set that setting to off and it won't keep jumping
  • garzo59garzo59 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought one last weekend. Cassette included with standard stereo
  • lyttonlytton Member Posts: 14
    Now that some people have experienced their 1st snowfall, what has been your experience? I drove the GS300 AWD with the normal tires ( I've ordered snow tires), and I was slipping and sliding .Has anyone put on winter tires yet, and what has been your experience with or without snow tires?
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    I drove mine for the first time in snow on Thanksgiving day. The stock Dunlop run-flats suck hard in snow! Awful traction - I had better traction in my rear wheel drive Ford Bronco, without using 4X4!

I HATE how the car beeps when you lose traction. Is there any way to turn that off??

I ordered some Dunlop Winter Sport M3's from Tirerack.com. They should be here on Friday. Once it snows again, I'll let everyone know how they are.
    Has anyone else noticed a lot of rattles, squeaks, and noises in their GS300? Every time I drive it, there is some sort of noise somewhere. Sometimes it's in the dash, sometimes the drivers side door, then the glove box, then....

Also, I've noticed that when the air conditioning is on, I get a "whuppp... whuppp.. whuppp..." sound between 5 and 30 MPH. Above that, the engine noise probably drowns it out. Turn off the air conditioning and wait about ten minutes and it goes away. Anyone else?

Maybe my car was built on a Monday or Friday... who knows. For me, Lexus isn't living up to their reputation.

When I have my snow tires put on I'm going to bring it up and have them look at it, but since it's intermittent, I don't hold much hope in them figuring it out.
  • mikesouthbeachmikesouthbeach Member Posts: 6
    GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!! I have finally found a link that shows how to turn off the VSC System or Traction control system on the Lexus. Its complex as helllllllll, but once u get the hang of it....it's Happy Drifting for all us muahahahahaha....I have a GS 430 so dont know if its going to work on the GS 300. Here's the link to show you how to do it. There is even a video. I might produce a small drifting video with my friends to show for next week. I hope it turns out to be just a drifting video and not a crashing video.

http://www.automobilemag.com/video/0601_lexus_gs430_vsc/index.html

Enjoy and post your replies to see how your car is behaving.
    Once the car is started, you have thirty seconds to complete the process. With practice, the procedure can be completed in approximately fifteen seconds but, unfortunately, must be repeated each time the car is switched off.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.
    2. Start the engine.
    3. Engage the parking brake.
    4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    6. Disengage the parking brake.
    7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
    8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
    9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
    10. Release the brake pedal.
    11. Engage the parking brake.
    12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

When “Check VSC” is displayed in the multifunction display along with the “Trac-off” icon indicator, you’ll know that you have successfully completed the procedure.
  • smodersmoder Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone installed the XM radio in a GS300. I was assuming the antenna is glued to the back quarter panel(on the top). ugly I assume. Also, if you used the dealer, what was the cost. My wife has XM and I was thinking about it for Xmas. thanks
  • harvitoharvito Member Posts: 4
    I was at the dealer yesterday for a service appointment and spoke with the parts manager about satellite radio. I told him the antenna was not very attractive and he said many people install the little black box in the corner, back shelf INSIDE the care. Most people do not like the box on the trunk.
  • kvd2pallakvd2palla Member Posts: 29
    I have the same issue as you, I am not sure where you live, but issue was purely due to climate. When the temp drops below 37degrees the dash rattles and creeks like a son of [non-permissible content removed]. I took it to dealer, my Service rep mentioned that there is a design flaw with the dash. All taken care of no issues from that point on.
    I'm in NH, and it's cold here - certainly lower than 37. Hopefully my dealer will be able to fix it as yours was. If it's a design flaw, I'm sure they have been getting a lot of calls.

I had noticed some noises since the day I took it home, which was in August. Not a climate problem then, although it has gotten A LOT worse with the temp. drop.

Thanks for the reply - you've given me hope!
  • kvd2pallakvd2palla Member Posts: 29
    I was wondering if it is possible to add the Lexus PDC system to my 2006 GS 300. The button is there and I have heard that it is already pre-wired. Any input would be great.
  • mechrad1mechrad1 Member Posts: 26
    I am curious, is anyone on this board sitting back and waiting for the gs 350 to go on sale before buying the gs. Am I the only one? Does anyone know the 0-60 for that car. I am sure it is on the Japan lexus website, but sadly I do not speak that language. My impression is that the gs 350 when it goes on sale will not lead to a huge sales volume over the gs 300. This will hopefully lead to fast discounts, vs the normal lexus story of a hot car with more buyers than cars. What do you guys think?
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    Lexus is going to have to do something about the GS430 before they bring out the GS350. Not enough difference to justify the price difference.

I suspect a GS350 would do 0-60 in about 6.0 based on weight......

Did not wait and bought today. Great price.
  • jackfrost1jackfrost1 Member Posts: 1
    Who is your Service Rep? I'd like to have my Lexus dealer call him. I have the same issues with my 2006 GS and will be having the car checked out this Monday.

TIA
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    donbl: What price did you get?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Jackfrost1, you can go into your profile and make your email public (don't post it), and then kvd2palla can email you the service rep's name. It shouldn't be posted here.
    jackfrost1,

I'd be curious to hear the results of the call to the service rep, and the service. Please let us know!

Thanks.
    Bartalk3,

Try this again.....

List was $50,700 and agreed price was $45,900. Good experience as it was easy to know when the price was "right" because it was smack on low prices listed in these forums.

GS300
    ML
    Nav
    All Options

Now, just being patient to get it.

Good experience and very cordial.
    Thanks. The price is right. In what state did you get such a good deal?
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    "List was $50,700 and agreed price was $45,900. Good experience as it was easy to know when the price was "right" because it was smack on low prices listed in these forums"

Did this price include XM Radio? Also, can you please tell us the dealer that gave you this deal (we can name dealerships, just not sales people)and in what state they are located? Thanks!
    Deal was done in DFW and a combination of in-person visit and then internet quote.

Found that doing the in-person visit to establish credibility made the quote process on the internet much easier and very short.

Not every sales person here in DFW has a computer - in fact, most do not. If you can get an appointment first with the internet manager and visit it is easier. They "also" have authority to make quotes.

There is so much internet "noise" with the new IS that it is difficult for them to separate the real from the curious and if you go in first then the rest is very comfortable.

Did not take the radio - yet - might take it when we start travelling.

Good luck,
  • billinsobebillinsobe Member Posts: 47
    I'm a bit p*ssed off that the ML stereo won't play DVD-Audio discs while driving. Is anyone else having this problem? I've put several DVD-A discs in my stereo only to have them ejected automatically.

Lexus-ML website states the stereo will play DVD-Audio and it's printed right on the front of the stereo.

When I take my car in for the 5000 mile service I'm going to demand that the fix the problem or replace the stereo with one that plays DVD-A as advertised. :sick:
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Do you record your own DVD audio disks or are they OEM? Did you try playing the DVD-A on your PC? I have the ML on my GS300 and can play copied DVD disks and copied CD audio disks, no problem. Haven't yet tried MP3's copied to the CD. The problem might lie with the type of decoding used on your DVD-A. The only supported types are linear pulse code modulation (PCM); Dolby digital; and MPEG audio format DVD. If it's not one of the supported decoders, the disk will eject.

Actually I'm more upset my GS300 didn't have the XM included standard; I'm considering buying the Lexus unit at autowebaccessories.com for $284 and do the install myself. Has anyone else tried this?

Please advise...thanks.
    Demo I received while "parked".......

Took a DVD-Video and DVD-Audio disc to the demo.

DVD-Audio tried first and worked great.

DVD-Video would initially not work because the parking brake was not set and there was a prompt on the screen to "play" which we could not see without the brake set. When brake set and prompt touched on screen, video played and the audio played. Looked and sounded great. I was actually surprised about seeing the video as I did not know of that feature.

No ejection problems.

Did not drive for the ML demo.

Good luck,
    It was an OEM disk. My initial response was all OEM DVD-A should work. Especially since they work in other cars (such as the Acura TL).

I guess I'll try a couple of others.

Thanx for the help!
  • michaels6michaels6 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a 2006 GS300 last week, and while the car is a pleasure on many levels, the seats are anything but (no pun intended). The thigh support on the bottom cushion is especially short and no matter how much I adjust the seat I can't find a comfortable position. Does anyone else have this problem, and are there any aftermarket options to replace the seat?
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Member Posts: 97
    My 06 GS430 had a pop creaking sound in the lower windshield area when the body flexed. There is a technical bulletin on it that involves clipping some plastic locator tabs. Check with your dealer. It took two attempts to fix before they figured it out. Mine also has a rattle in the right vent, which they couldn't fix so they are replacing it but it is hardly noticeable. Other than that, it's dead silent now.

Another weird problem I had was the trunk opener quit working. It took two weeks to diagnose it, and replacement of ALL the computers, and it still didn't work. Then they rebooted the computers by removing the power, and it started working again. They haven't a clue why.

No other problems, and now I'm happy-it's like having a new car without all the racket the windshield was making.

GM
    While my car was in for service to resolve the trunk latch failure issue that took two weeks the dealer offered to install XM for the cost of the receiver only so I took him up on it. The kid that did the install put the antenna under the brake light-hidden almost from view. I had to ask him where it was. So instead of the corner, have him place it there.

It works great. No fades or drop offs at all.

GM
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    "...the dealer offered to install XM for the cost of the receiver only so I took him up on it."

How much did they charge you for the receiver? I am looking at getting XM installed as well. Thanks!
    Does anyone know about any lexus clubs to go racing with in Florida? Also has anyone already tried to take off the traction control on the GS and drift away? My GS 430 drifts easily and smoothly. Intrested in hearing your stories or is this forum full of old geezers with GS's that dont know how to have a good time with a car?
  • airlinephotoairlinephoto Member Posts: 60
    Lexus just replaced my 2 front tires (dunlop non awd car), I started hearing some minor noise coming off the front tire/s, they rotated, did a wheel alignment and replaced 2 tires due to "cupping" -anyone else have this, maybe it was just a couple of defective tires, I just hope its not an issue with the car's suspension that is causing this, then i'll be extraordinarily upset. Mine has 9K miles ytd and I absolutely love this car.
    Where was that windshield sound - left, right, or middle? I think I'm getting the same thing, in the middle or right side (tough to tell).

I'm also getting a clicking sound from behind the dash, right above the steering wheel.

Still waiting for my snow tires to come in, so I can bring the car to the dealer and get all this stuff fixed. Until then, my GS300 is rattling like a maraca.

A $50,000 maraca. :(
    It was a "popping" or "creaking" sound and came from the left, center and right, although it started right where you describe it-just above the steering wheel. At first, it was on the left and they added some tape or something, and it then moved to the center and right.

I'd take it in and tell them to remove the plastic locator clips on the bottom of the windshield, and to check the TAS for a bulletin about it. It's an easy fix.

The good news is that after they remove the clips, it's fixed.

GM
    The XM's receiver and kit (which includs the antenna) costs $299.

GM
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I love the looks of the new GS, both inside and out I think among the leaders in this segment. The problem with the GS for me is the cramped interior and tiny trunk, compared with other similar cars, say Infiniti M. Even though it's not feasible for me probably for those reasons, I love the looks so much I look at it now and then. I just noticed that the GS can be had with run flat tires, with or without spare. If you get this without spare, does that increase the usable trunk space. I'm trying to give myself some reason to look at this car more. Thanks.
    I may be partial because I already own one, but I fully agree that the looks of the 06 GS caught my eye- alot more than the M or the 5 or the E. Now, I commute to the office daily (70 miles r/t), so the cramped/trunk issue is a non-issue- but perhaps if you're hauling 4 big people in your GS and using the trunk to put luggage in, perhaps it can get tight, for me, its a delightful, sexy, comfortable ride back and forth to work. Oh, I get 30MPG and typically go 75mph in cruise control. I LOOOOOVE this car

JP
    The trunk does look small, but I was able to fit a big suitcase and a set of golf clubs, with the clubs packed in a travel bag with wheels.

Nothing else, though ;)
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    I have the GS with run-flats, and yes there is some extra room below the trunk liner for more storage. I wouldn't exactly declare this found space as user friendly, as you would have to lift off the panel to get there. But in an emergency it could be useful. Not sure I understand why, but there is also an option package from Lexus which includes a spare with the run-flats, but that kind of defeats the purpose of run-flat technology. Another reason not to opt for the spare is the additional weight.
    Apparently it was the DVD-A disk I tried at first. I have since tried several other DVD-Audio disks while driving and they work great. Sound quality is amazing.

I've even burned a couple of DVD-Audio and a DVD-Video disk (just with music) and they also work fine while driving.
    >"Not sure I understand why, but there is also an option package from Lexus which includes a spare with the run-flats, but that kind of defeats the purpose of run-flat technology."

I got the spare tire because when the run-flats wear out, I'm going to replace them with go-flats.
    Many times during the month I considered dealing for a GS300. But knowing that the Avalon has, and the '07 Camry soon will have, the 3.5L engine, I just could not bring myself to pay more money for a smaller engine and be upstaged by Toyota. Is it snobbery or just common sense? Moreover in a matter of months, the GS300 will become the GS350, and probably for not many more $$, and the 300 will be history. But there's the chance that the 3.5 they drop into the GS will be the gas guzzling equivalent of the engine they put in the IS350, rather than the frugal (but mighty) version they've put into the Avalon. If so, it's Accord, TL, or 330i time.
    Me personally, I love my 30mpg, what will the 3.5 liter be? not 30mpg I bet. I think these days a smaller engine that gets the job done may actually be preferred by many??
    dare I say that?

Happy new year guys