Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    In the U.S. manufacturer's warranties do not require any service to be done at the dealer's shop. You may have to show that the car has been serviced somewhere (oil changes, etc.), but the warranty is given by the manufacturer for 4 years or 50,000 miles (in Lexus' case). I don't know whether dealers in foreign countries can alter the manufacturer's warranty. I doubt it.
  • dmcmahondmcmahon Member Posts: 26
    I have an '06 GS300 and I love the car. I just got an iPod nano and I'm looking for a way to hook it into the car's stereo system. I would prefer not to go with something cheesy like a cassette adaptor or FM modulator. I presume that some way exists to wire a device into the stereo directly, since this must be how people are doing XM installations. I've seen at least one product, called by various names, selling for around $300, that appears to do this. However:
    1. it's unclear how it would be installed, and in particular if installation requires disassembly of the dash or some other part of the car
    2. it's unclear how the connections the device makes available are physically manifested in the interior of the car.
    Anyone have any experience?
  • kvd2pallakvd2palla Member Posts: 29
    I tried the FM (monster and griffen) I found the cheesey casstte by monster gives much better sound than the others. There is a company called Ipod2car (ipod2car.com) but they have yet released a lexus version.
  • dmcmahondmcmahon Member Posts: 26
    I found this:

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

My local Lexus dealer claims they install this for either XM or iPod integration. According to the guy I spoke with, they have to remove some panels but not the entire dash, that it's "not a big deal". They drill a hole through the center glovebox to provide a mount for the connector, no wires are showing inside the car.
  • bigzip1bigzip1 Member Posts: 5
    Push the voice command button on the steering wheel and then touch "Help" on the screen.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"Push the voice command button on the steering wheel and then touch "Help" on the screen."

Got it - thank you!
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Somebody on a Lexus fan website scanned a sheet showing Lexus updates for the next two years. According to this sheet the GS 350 will arrive in showrooms in September 2006 as a 2007. This was expected, but now there is more evidence indicating this to be true.
    Thanks for the good news, lenscap, but for us eager types, the GS350 should be released this spring. For the better part of this year, the Lexus ES350 and the Toyota Avalon and even Camry will have a stronger and more advanced engine than the higher-priced GS300. There's no justice.
    In case anyone was wondering, the repair manual for the 2006 GS300 is a total of five volumes and sells for over $1,000. You can buy the volumes seperatly, though.
  • kenekene Member Posts: 3
    I have an 06 GS 300 AWD too. I have not noticed this as a problem (yet) but suspect it is the nature of the AWD system?

What I am unhappy about was not being fully informed about the tires on the car. The US version gets all season yet the GS gets "W" rated summer tires? It does not make sense and I have had a rim to replace because of this issue. The Dunlops are horrible in snow.

Anyone out there with a similar situation especially in Canada?
    I have a GS AWD as well and found the Dunlops horrible in snow. They were not safe and I needed to get winter tires after visiting a curb with my right front tire. This cost me a rim. Lexus Canada has (so far) not been helpful although the dealer has offered a goodwill gesture.

Pretty well every AWD sports sedan I have found comes with all-seasons. The GS 300 AWD in the US has all-season run flats yet Canadians get tires that have a max. speed of 290 KM/Hr? Lexus has dropped the ball here and badly.
    I had the same issue with the high performance dunlop tires, they absolutely suck in the snow. I did some research and made a post on here looking for some guidance. What I ended up doing was getting the Dunlop M3 Sport Winter tires and a second set of rims from the Tire Rack (tirerack.com). I actually got 215/55R17s and had them mount and balance them on the Sport Edition F7 Rims for a total cost of $842.00US. The day after I had them installed we got a decent snow storm (5") the performed night and day, the vdim never went on, and traction control barely went on. On turns and hills the performed incrediblely. The only draw back is the TPMS sensors, to breakdown the runflats and remove the sensors was not worth the cost, not too mention the cost to purchase them ($329.00ea) I have to live with the blinking TPMS light. The M3 sports are V rated and handle very well over all on the dry surface, and even better on rain soaked roads than the runflats that came with the car. Lexus did miss boat on the tire selection on these cars...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Keep in mind that the new 4WD Porsche Cayenne comes from the factory equipped with summer use only tires. According to Porsche that because most owners only drive in dry or wet conditions 99% of the time in which case a summer tire is clearly a safer choice, not to mention quieter and more comfortably riding.

Even my AWD RX300 runs on summer only tires. If it were a real AWD system I might consider winter tires during the winter months but as it is I find it quite satisfactory to carry a full set of tires chains in the event of need.
    Thanks for the info. Issue, however, is not only regarding actual snow but temperature. It was -20 here at the time and the summer tire's rubber composition is obviously developed to handle much higher temperatures rather than lower temps. Because of this, the adhesion was extremely poor. This is a major safety concern - to equip a vehicle that is advertised for additional stability yet does not have the ability to do so with the OEM tires.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I am thinking of a GS430 but have concerns about the interior room (and trunk), which are smaller than Infiniti M and other cars in this class. I do believe the GS is the best looking car in the segment both inside and out so am trying to make it work.

I went to the car show today and sat in a few GSs. With the driver's seat all the way down I had a touch of headroom (I'm 6 feet tall). I set the driver's seat with the wheel all the way in and then sat in the back seat behind, and there was a bit of legroom also. Although tight neither was quite as bad as I'd thought they'd be, although I have to say I was a bit claustrophobic at times.

It's hard to get an idea just sitting in a car for a few minutes. Can anyone who's six feet or taller or commutes with someone that size comment on day to day driving; do you feel ok or real cramped in the car?

Otherwise I thought the car was even better looking in person than in pictures. Also saw the LS460 which looked great, but may be too expensive and not sure I want to wait that long.
    I am 6'3", at first I had a difficult time with adjusting the seat and finding the right position. To be honest once I found my spot and space I fit fine with no issue of car closing in. The trunk is small, the most I can fit in the trunk is 2 sets of golf clubs...very carefully... As for the person behind me while I am driving....the most I have had to do is move the recliner portion about an inch up.. The other draw back I found with being tall which no-one has mentioned on this board is the passanger seat position while driving. I had to set memory position 3 on the passanger's side so that I have no obstructions while driving alone. There has been alot pros and cons on forum regarding the GS, keep in mind this is the first production year and I am sure some adjustments will be made as the line matures. The above mentioned are nuances for me, my biggest gripes with car so far are the bluetooth, the usual creaking of the dashboard (repaired under a TS) and also that the heated seats (in my opinion) don't get hot enough. Overall I love the car, even if the 350 comes out next year I have no regrets getting the 300. Plenty of power, great looks...great all around performer...
    Just in case anyone was curious: when the computer shows 0 miles in the "Range" display, you have about two gallons left so don't sweat it too much.

I wouldn't rely on that exact number, either, but it's nice to know there is some padding there. ;)
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to using Bluetooth also. What are your problems with it?
    I am lucky I am using the a motorola V710 so the functionality is very good. The down side is the Verizon does not allow transfering between BT devices. Also the GS locks down the phone options once the car is moving...including the NAV system. The Nav can be bypassed and you can enter addresses while driving. But the phone features and BT Functionality locked down completely once the car is moving. Caller ID and other one touch button phone features (i.e dialing manually etc..via the radio) are disabled. The only work around is to cut some wires. Whereas the NAV by pass is done by pressing some hidden buttons and then overiding the safety feature.
  • vroommdtvroommdt Member Posts: 11
    What hidden buttons and safety features?? Exactly how do you do it. And-- does anyone know how to disable the opening screen on the Nav system where you have to touch "I Agree" ??
    VROOMMDT
    To disable the NAV lockout whilst driving perform the following:
    Menu (Nav - Side)
    Volume Contol Button
    Press the top left corner of the screen
    then press the botton left corner of the screen
    Top left again
    botton left again
    and a menu pops up....press and hold override button (it will turn orange and beep)
    Viola!!!!

You will have to reset it again once the car is turned off

As for the BT features, there is a harness you buy or search around this forum which wires to cut to activate the BT and the ability to watch movies while driving.
  • vroommdtvroommdt Member Posts: 11
    Thanks kvd. With reference to the Nav lockout whilst driving- I assume that you mean by resetting it once the car is turned off that you have to do this every time you startup the car? If so , it is a bummer and not very usefull.
    Is the 2007 GS expected to get the 460 engine? When will it be available? How fast? I assume less than 5.5 seconds 0-60.
    Yes it is a bummer, but the other alternatives are: either cut some wires after removing the nav screen or buy a wiring harness, both option most definately void the warranty. The actual process to bypass the safety feature takes about 6 secs. It really becomes second nature....
  • mblack78mblack78 Member Posts: 7
    I've been thinking about 19" too. Any more thoughts yourself since then?
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Goodday. Im interested in buying a gs 300 but am not sure whether i want to spring for the extra 3,000$ and get the AWD.

Anyone that owns a gs 300 RWD, can you kindly tell me how is it in the snow?? Is it passable or not good at all??
    Also, i heard that the stock tires suck. How about the all season tires on the car??
    Thank you.
  • max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    What car Will Lexus Introduce in the New York auto show this is the only one i can attend?
    GS460h and ES350.
  • vonrhettvonrhett Member Posts: 8
    G'day. I have the '06 GS AWD, and absolutely love it. It is so confidence-inspiring and smooth - truly incomparable.
    It's certainly not made for plowing through Antarctica, but the traction control technology is second-to-none.
    Whip it through some corners and you'll swear it has inertial dampners.
    RE the tires, I opted for the Dunlop Run-Flats. Great grip, quiet, predictable - what else could you ask for?
    Well, they're not super low-profile, but they ride great.
    BTW, mine is Black on Black w/ Burled Red Walnut. Drop-dead gorgeous.
  • max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    will the SC 430 HAVE MAYOR CHANGES? I THINK IT WAS INTRODUCE IN THE YEAR 2001?

AT LEAST A BIGGER ENGINE 4.6
    Does anyone have a picture of a GS in Cypress Pearl? The color looks good in the brochure but have not seen a picture of one, and there were none at the carshow.
    I was thinking of getting the run flats, and I got stranded with a blown out tire on the freeway today with a small shoulder. So now am thinking harder. Can someone with the run flats comment; I really don't know anything about them. Do they ride the same as regular tires? Do they last the same? How much more expensive are they to replace? Can you replace them with regular tires? thanks.
  • asandersasanders Member Posts: 7
    Can't help you with a picture, Houston, but if i'm not mistaken Cypress Pearl is actually olive green and looks completely different in real life than the one shown at www.lexus.com (which looks a dreary grey). IMHO it's a fab colour, has a lot of character and looks very different during the day and at night...try and arrange a viewing through your dealer of one that is pending delivery or in service - photos can be very misleading...it was my first choice until I saw Quartz Shadow (originally one of my last choices)...
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    Guys,

I am having trouble entering numbers "directly" into the phone book (gave up on my LG325 bluetooth).

Thoughts? Manual not clear and no "add" key on my screen.

thanks
    Getting phone book entries into your GS can be a real pain. I don't think there is any way to enter them manually - you have to use the bluetooth transfer.

Your best bet is to borrow a friends' phone - ideally one that can send multiple phone book entries as business cards via bluetooth (mine can only transmit one at a time). When I got the car and realised my regular phone wouldn't communicate with the car at all I went to the nearest phone shop and asked for the cheapest phone that had bluetooth. They gave me a nokia 6021.

Good luck...
    I have never used Bluetooth but look forward to it if I get a GS430. I'm confused about the last 2 posts. I thought you could enter names and numbers manually, then select the names to be called, either via selecting a number you've chosen for that person or by choosing the person (with the later not working while the car is moving?). I know this is a basic question but if someone could clear that up for me, I would really appreciate it. If there's no way to enter this manually, how does anyone use Bluetooth; just receiving calls but not placing?
    Could someone recommend a salesperson at Lexus in Houston, on the North Freeway heading towards The Woodlands, that they've used with good success.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi houstonmerc - check out this discussion: Lexus GS: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.
    To your question:

If you put in bluetooth in the search you will get a very long list of issues.

Basically, if you have Cingular and a bluetooth phone with OBEX you can "probably" do it.

The Lexus does NOT allow manual entry into the phone book and does not allow anything other than "one touch" dialing while driving. You can override with a technique mentioned in this forum.

So, my plan as recommended a couple back is to get an unlocked SE T608 (cingular) and use it as a "remote" to enter into the phone book. I think that will be adequate as I do not have that many phone numbers.

I am also trying to get my PC to synch but that is another story.....

Lexus probably did not do a good job on this for the US market but in Japan it was probably not an issue as their phone system is much farther along than ours.

Rest of the car is great.
    Can you guide me to where the bluetooth overide info is located. I have searched and can not seem to find where it is posted...or can you tell me what has to be done to overide the system for one touch dialing...Thanks for the help
    No "bluetooth" override button.

Override for Nav and dialing is detailed earlier but is
    Menu
    Volume
    Touch top left corner
    touch bottom left corner
    repeat until new screen comes up
    hold down override button until beeps and then back out

Good luck,
    I know this works to override the silly NAV lock-out, but can someone please confirm that it also allows for non-One-Touch-dialing while driving?

I haven't even bothered loading my phone info since options for dialing are so limited.

Also, is there a perm fix for this? I understand that lexus was trying to limit liability but locking these (otherwise great) features out, but my friggin passenger should be able to punch in a new phone number while we're driving....

thanks!
    -Von
    06 GS3 AWD
    Black/Black
    Please excuse me if this has already been debated ad nauseum , but what's the general concensus towards the ML system? My sleek, black GS3 AWD has EVERY available option and overall i love it, but the ML seems to be ill-thought out.

For instance, load up 6 typical music CDs, but there's NO TITLE info. Ditto for each TRACK. These are brand-new CDs. My 5-series displayed this info 6 years ago! I gotta remember what CD #4 is? (text button doesn't help) Doesn't every $200.00 aftermarket radio have this?

Also, what's up with the SAT only displaying 10-characters of Artist & Song Title info? The screen is capable of displaying characters the width of the screen, and SIRIUS transmits the data, so why doesn't it display?? So "Natasha Bedingfield" displays "Natasha Be". If you don't know the Artist, the display won't help unless it's Elvis or U2....

The sound itself is fantastic. It's like being in the middle of a concert hall. But the interface and the info system leaves much to be desired. I expected more for 2K.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
    -Von
    06 GS3 AWD
    I have an 06 GS3AWD, black w/black. I don't foresee a problem with the seats. First of all, they're perforated which greatly reduces potential cracking and facilitates heat transfer. Next, they're heated AND cooled (way cool)
    so any potential temperature discomfort is short-lived.
    There is a permanent fix, but for this you'll have to pull out the nav unit and cut some wires...other owner's have done it and it seems easy - i've not tried it myself.

The following link will show you everything you need to know about disabling the safety lockouts so you can use the phone and watch DVD's while driving. Good luck!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24442
    Not sure if anyone drove the new IS, I have on for a loaner while my GS300 is getting 10K service. My God!!! The dash rattles just as bad as mine did!!! Whats going on Lexus? This is really surprising that two brand new models have the same issues, especially from Lexus.
  • lpsshopperlpsshopper Member Posts: 8
    Hi. I'm new to this forum. Considering a GS 300 AWD, BMW 530xi, Audi A6 or Infiniti M35x (the usual suspects). Like the look of the Lexus and Lexus reliability reputation; less excited with the GS handling vs. the others. In looking to get a bargain, I was encouraged (but also troubled) by the extraordinary number of GS's being resold with 8K or less miles or being sold new at huge discounts by wholesalers. I can't quantify it precisely, but these cars are out there at significant discounts and in much larger numbers than the competitors. Yes, that means savings. But does it also mean that people are dissatisfied and that resale is going to be less than usually high Lexus standards? Any idea what is causing this effect?
    I just made an appointment today to have dash rattles fixed. This will be the forth time I've brought it in for this in as many months. I only have 5,500 miles on the car.

I've really been shocked at the noise inside the car. I'm sure other people haven't had any problems, but my experience hasn't been very good.
    >"Considering a GS 300 AWD, BMW 530xi, Audi A6 or Infiniti M35x (the usual suspects)"

I looked at the same list, and picked the GS. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the 530xi. I picked the GS because of the Lexus rep for high quality and reliability; now that I've pulled the trigger and have had it for a while, I'd prefer the handling of the BMW.

Live and learn, I guess. I still like the GS (if it would stop making so much noise), but I think I'd be happier with the BMW.

If the worst I have to do is to "settle" for a Lexus, things must be pretty good. ;)
    What's your evidence that more GS300s are being sold and traded in than other makes? Is this something impressionistic, based on observations at a Lexus dealership, or some hard data you saw somewhere else? I haven't heard many people complaining about the GS. In fact, there are probably fewer people writing in on the problems thread for the GS than for almost any other car. Very few problems right from the get go. And on the Edmunds buyer's reviews, the car gets raves from almost everybody.

And you say the car's being heavily discounted? About how much off list is common, would you say?