Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• richa502richa502 Member Posts: 16
    I'm thinking of buying an 06 GS300 RWD and wanted to be sure there are no known issues or defects with the car. Is there anyone who knows about any known bug/problems with this vehicle that I should be aware of before purchasing it? Thanks you for your help in advance.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    The Lexus dealer inidcated they could put a clear covering over the front of the GS430 I've got on order (I think called Invisishield or something like that). I've seen GS's with it and it's hard to tell it's there, so if it helps prevent dings may be a good idea. Have others gotten this, and do you recommend it? I think it's $600-700. Thanks.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Problems with a Lexus? No. Although I did notice they were recalling a few GSs and ESs, I think, for replacement of a seat belt buckle. Something like that. Very minor. Notice how few problems are listed in the Problems board here, compared to other cars (e.g., Acura RL, etc.).
  • dogleydogley Member Posts: 1
    The invisible shield is a great product but I think that they are charging you too much. I believe I paid $300 - $400 for my GS300.
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    I presently own an 04 G35 Coupe purchased new with 14,000 miles. I have been plagued with a car that eats up tires, brakes, has weak paint and loves gas! I have not driven the GS300 yet and understand it does not perform like the G but I want something reliable with some luxo as well. I have noticed that this car (according to your forum) has some issues of it's own. Any feedback would be appreciated. I do like the looks of the sedan and want good customer service. I think Infiniti is a step down from Lexus just as the parent company Nissan is a step Down from Toyota.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I picked up my 2006 GS430, Flint Mica with Ash interior, yesterday. I'm getting through the owner's manual, all 600+ pages of it (and that doesn't count the nav system has a separate book). So far I've figured out the bluetooth which works fine. Overall I'd say the technology is fairly easy to figure out, which is great because i'm not technologically inclined. The car is beautiful and I'm hoping my first Lexus experience goes well. I had it in the driveway yesterday and a neighbor came by right away and was gawking at the car. I guess that's one reason to spend this type of money right.
  • airlinephotoairlinephoto Member Posts: 60
    I have 15K miles on mine, absolutely love the car. One problem, while the original dunlops have plenty of tread on 'em, they are starting to get noisey- my Lexus dealer said that will happen as they age since they are low profile bla bla bla but I got the GS for its quietness now it's loud which is why I rejected the M35. Anyone else having the same issue?
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Member Posts: 97
    Yep, mine at 10k+ started the same thing. I really noticed it after they were rotated.

But, it's not the car, its the tires. The dealer was correct.

GM
    Don't expect to get many miles out of your tires before they get noisey. The tires on 17s are pretty much finished around 15,000+ miles. One of the bigger expenses on these newer cars are the tires. You may get better handling but longevity is not there. If you don't like the noise level, change your tires sooner. Good luck.
  • ce5288ce5288 Member Posts: 17
  • jking233jking233 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me the Cell phones that will transfer the phone book to the GS300 GEN 4 NAV system. looking to beg borrow or steal one lol

Thanks
    Jeff
    That may be so but i'd still take it over an M35 ANY DAY, every time I see the back of an M, I have to look away, it is just so unattractive, tall, bulky looking. The GS is like eye candy, it may not be as fast as an M or BMW 5 but for those of us who need the car to commute to the office know what really counts and it ain't 0-60 in the fastest time.
  • kumar2kumar2 Member Posts: 12
    Airlinephoto
    Interesting point you make above about 0-60 not imp. for people commuting to office in their car. I do not see how the backside of a car can be more relevant than it's accelaration esp. when you are sitting INSIDE it and commuting...........
    Looks are subjective and enough people have argued that GS rear looks like a hatchback
    I was considering a M35 but also thought it was kind of awkward looking from the rear. I know from owning a G35 that Nissan is not quite Toyota. I feel the overall quality of a Lexus is far Superior to the Infiniti. Tired of all those creaks, rattles, and annoying squeaks. That is why I'm waiting for the 07 GS350.
    I testdrove the M35 first, then the GS, I made my decision for the GS- the M was too noisey when accelerating, I can't stand the orange dials, the cabin is not as luxurious as the GS in my opinion. I think that having a 5 speed auto is weak when the competition has 6 speed autos (I am absolutely loving consistent 28-30 MPG on the GS). Sure, they are both good cars, you can't go wrong either way, in the end it's personal preference indeed.
  • jeanrvictorjeanrvictor Member Posts: 11
    Do you or anyone have any specs or a link to specs for the GS350?

Thanks,
    JV
    It's pretty certain the GS350 will have the same engine and horsepower as the IS350--i.e., about 306hp/270 lbs/ft torque. It should be plenty fast.
  • ntuckntuck Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me where the oil filter is located on this car? Thanks.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    It's under the car, behind a panel (that you have to remove).

If you're doing your own oil changes, I'd reccomend getting a one day subscription to the Toyota TIS (Technical Information System) for $10, and reading the lubrication section. It gives you a step-by-step guide.

Also, when you buy the filter, make sure you get the right one. The AWD filter is different from the RWD filter, and includes a pipe that you need to use to drain the oil. Also, you should know that Toyota is now reccomending 10W-20 instead of 10W-30 (there is a TSB on the site about it).
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    At 3000 miles on the OD, started a trip that has now reached 1700 miles.

Things I like and problems:

1. GPS is to die for. Even with the extreme safety features inhibiting usage while driving, it is great and took me through the toughest areas with ease including back roads in the Appalachians. No more arguments with wife and no more stops for direction (when I did....)
    2. XM radio is wonderful. Can listen to CNBC or news a couple of hours without stopping and the wife knows C&W will be back on shortly.
    3. Left leg position on trips is not optimum.
    4. Have a faulty tire pressure causing an alarm I can not turn off.
    5. Cracked the windshield at about 700 miles of travel. Did not seem like that big a rock..... first cracked windshield in 30 years.
    6. Either the downshifting or the throttle control is not performing well as the mountain driving resulted in sporadic but iritating jolts.
    7. Smooth and quiet ride.
    8. 35 mpg on the computer on the interstate.
    10. Rear view camera worked well for parallel parking in tight scenic areas of old Charleston. Never thought I would use it.

Good car.
  • ntuckntuck Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I was planning on changing my own oil, but they sure make it complicated now!
    If you have an AWD, the pipe they include with the filter makes it really easy to drain. You will, however, have to get a length of tubing to attach to the pipe.

It would probably be a good idea to get an oil filter wrench as well. I don't know if standard filter wrenches would work. If not, there is a tool you can buy from Toyota.
  • vonrhettvonrhett Member Posts: 8
    The 06 GS300 was recalled due to faulty front seat belt tensioners, not the buckle. They had a bad habit of freezing up. The dealer replaced in it 1-day.

It's all the other crap with this car that has me disenchanted. I never had a single squeek/creak/dash noise until after my 5K service. Now my dash creaks from 3 places, and my new seat belt mechanism sounds like an orchestra with all the noise it makes.

My car has serious transmission issues, and the dealer said "sorry, nothing we can do - maybe a software update next year". That was after keeping the car for 1-week, replicating the problem, getting print outs, phoning Japan, etc., etc.

It's really frustrating: ('06 GS300AWD) when doing a "rolling stop", of about 6-8 mph, then gradually, smoothly accelerating (or trying to), the car will first hesitate (like in neutral), then jump into 1st gear and LUNGE forward (like dropping a clutch on a standard), then it goes into the correct gear and it smooths out. This jolt is bad enough to get bad comments from passengers, as the car jumps gears 2 times in 15 feet. Again, this isn't my driving technique - Service experienced it in their test drive. It doesn't happen at 10+ mph, or if you come to a stop. Only at speeds of about 5-8 mph.

The regional field tech (?) calls the drivetrain engineers in Japan who blame it on the software, but can't offer a solution.

So just when I decide that the car is good enough overall that I can overlook these low-speed jolts and gear jumping, the friggin interior starts to sing, moan and groan, creak, rattle and roll. Absolutely inexcusable for a brand new Lexus to have these kind of interior noises.(still under 6K miles).

I need to talk to the poster who recently filed the formal complaint with Lexus. It's not that I don't want a new GS - I just don't like THIS one.
    Sorry for the problems you're having. You may just have a lemon. There are very few complaints about the car and almost none about rattles or the transmission (unlike the ES330). Check out the 104 reviews of the car on Edmunds. Very few complaints of any kind. Most say it's smooth as buttah.
    >"There are very few complaints about the car and almost none about rattles"

Excuse me? Did you just get here? Mine's been rattling on and off since I bought it in September, and I've had it back to the dealer five times just for rattles. And I'm not the only one.

Now, the seat is starting to make creaking noises when I make right turns.

If someone offered me $5K less than what I paid, I'd jump on it.
    Excuse me. No, I didn't just get here. Again, if you look at the 104 or so reviews of the GS330/430 on Edmunds, you will see very few complaints, and very few about rattles. Consumer Reports reliability data for the GS300/430, which probably reflects data on hundreds or maybe thousands of GS300s, rates its reliability excellent in all areas and the satisfaction of its owners tops. Too bad you're having problems with your car, but don't generalize it beyond your own individual experience or that of one or two others.
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    I also have the transmission problem of jolting. Not all the time but on hills it is very noticeable. I thought it might be the throttle on downshifts...... that could be software.

Drove my Jag today and it is smooth as glass.

Soooooo,,,,, the Lexus has better overall reliability but it is not perfect. Lexus should fix the problem.

Car was built in January.
    I have the same problem, but I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. Must be because I come to full stops at stop signs. :)

It does sound like a software thing; the kind of problem they fix during routine service, and don't say anything about it.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Damn, really sorry to see that the Toyota/Lexus engine/transaxle delay/hesitation problem has spread to RWD.

But I guess a 9.8% improvement in FE is not to be ignored.
    Whoops - sorry, I missed the "RWD" in the title. Mine's an AWD.
    No, the mistake was mine, in hindsight it is pretty clear that I should have said RWD or "RWD based" AWD.

Toyota/Lexus have recently discovered why/how manual transmission drivers use the clutch to extend FE and they're trying to simulate the same effect in automatic transmissions.

Push in the clutch pedal as you coast down to come to a stop (while simultaneously downshifting for the upcoming acceleration). Toyota/Lexus' new transaxle/transmission control firmware(software) shifts into neutral for parallel effect.

To match speed, slowing, to merge into an adjacent freeway lane push in the clutch pedal for coastdown (while leaving the transmission in the lower gear appropriate to the possible need to quickly accelerate). T/L's firmware upshifts to simulate the clutch effect leaving you in the totally wrong gear for any upcoming need to accelerate.
    No, mine is also AWD. I did not notice the original Posters' thread has RWD in the title.

So all this jerking (and totally wrong gear for acceleration) is the by-product of an attempt to increase fuel efficiency? Bad call, Lexus. If FE was my primary concern, I'd buy a Prius, not a new GS!

BTW, leaving the ECT in "Power Mode" eliminates the wrong gear for ramp-acceleration issue, but then it tends to get "stuck" in 4th gear as you're cruising at 80mph, with the tach around 4400...
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    FYI...I was at my Lexus dealer yesterday inquiring about the LS 460 and the potential for a GS460....Regarding the GS460, he indicated that it probably won't happen. He indicated that the GS300 will get the IS 350 engine with 300+ HP and the Hybrid 450h will be the other GS offering. The 430 engine is dead, only to be available until the LS430's are all sold. So for all practical purposes the GS 430 is history.
  • bhuwanbhuwan Member Posts: 6
    I have the exact same problem on the AWD!
    If I am in heavy traffic and accelerate ever so slighly while at low speeds, the car jolts forward... Is this a design flaw or a possible problem with my vehicle?
  • max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=emdhkb.3.51 GS 350 AND GS 460 have been added to the trademark department also LX 600 :)
  • max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    Go to http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm
    then click search right hand side then go down and click new user form search basic then type Toyota type the T in capital letter the rest on lower case at the bottom you will see next list and there you!
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Interesting....so much for the knwoledgeable Lexus Sales guy.
    Mine is also AWD, and the tranny problems are getting worse. That annoying low-speed jolt is a BAD design flaw.

And now, as I accelerate to CA-hiway speeds (aka 80 mph), the tranny will stay in 3rd or 4th gear. 80 in 3rd is near red-line, and 80 in 4th is about 4500 rpm. Yes, it's in "D", not S or a lower gear. It will stay there for MILES, unless I move the gear selector INTO "S", then manually bump up the gearbox to 6th.

And don't even get me started on all the creaks and rattles from the dash, the moonroof, the console, etc.

I think the car looks great. But from a driving enjoyment perspective, it's leaves ALOT to be desired.
  • gukfa_tsagukfa_tsa Member Posts: 1
    Horsepower: 311(US) at 6400rpm
    Torque: 278(US) at 4800rpm
  • lyttonlytton Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone test-driven both cars? Just curious what people thought about the differences between the two cars...( For the record, I drive th 06 GS300 AWD, but probably would have bought the ES350 if it was available a year ago, to save me some $)
  • amf1932amf1932 Member Posts: 79
    Does this car definitely require premium fuel with at least 91 octane?
    I have driven both cars. The ES350 made me feel old, like a geezer driving a Buick; the GS300 made me feel young. Its handling is far superior to the ES350, although most auto mags rate the GS300 far behind the rivals when it comes to performance. Buy the ES350 if you want a luxurious boulevard cruiser that's whisper-quiet but has no sporty pretensions. Buy the GS300 if you want performance and handling along with luxury and silence. Or better yet, wait for the GS350 this fall, which will give it considerably more umph.
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Has it been confirmed that we will be getting a GS350 AWD? I hope the don't try and put the 2.5L from the IS250 AWD in the GS sedan. I'm just concerned as there is no IS350 AWD. I hope the AWD system can handle the 300+HP.
    Answered my own question. Lexus sells a GS350 AWD in Japan right now so i'm sure we will see it soon.
    Now if they'd just put that engine/driveline combination in the RX350 that would make it a real SUV. Not in the class of the RDX but at least a contender.
    Just received an email from Lexus re: The New GS

Introducing the new, incredibly powerful Lexus GS 350. The numbers speak volumes: 3.5-liter V6, 303 horsepower [1], 274 lb-ft of torque [1]. Numbers that translate into a potent experience at every green light, entrance ramp and passing lane.

Complementing the faster-than-fast new GS 350 is an inspired available Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [3] with Generation 5 software capable of not just recognizing more than 100 voice commands, but realizing the need to offer directions as quickly as the GS is fast.

image">
    The Lexus announcement about the 350 said contact your local dealer to see the car. When will it be available?
  • ao2ao2 Member Posts: 44
    No...I put the crappy fuel in and have not noticed a difference.

No difference in pickup AND no difference in MPG
  • kvd2pallakvd2palla Member Posts: 29
    Was the issue resolved with the seat creaking? Mine is starting to also creak, but not only right turns, left and coming to a stop. Its amazing I left the German world because of the electronic and some mechanical over engineering nightmares they have been having, but their fit and finsh was great...no creaks or crackling noises..even at 100k miles. Now I am in Japanese world, electronics work fantastic along with the mechanicals (so far) but I am getting way to much creaks and crackling for a car that only has 15K and is supposed to be a very quiet and tight car.

Is not lexus who is master or reverse engineering the competition's vehicls?...and aren't they supposed reproduce the better end result? and resolving the competition's design flaws.
    Yes - there's a TSIB for it. It's for almost all Lexus vehicles, not just the GS. It has to do with seat retaining bolts, or something like that; I'm sure your dealer can look it up.

It's fairly new - within the last six weeks or so.

I have to bring my GS in on Monday for a new set of tires, so I'm going to ask them for a roll of the felt tape they used to fix the rattling problems with my glovebox. I recently performed the NAV hack on my car, which involves removing the wood panel under the shifter, as well as the NAV unit itself. It is pretty easy to do, and I figured since I know how to take all that stuff apart now I can apply my own felt tape as needed to get rid of the rattles and squeaks.

I'm still amazed that the GS is a Lexus product. I've never had a car that made this much noise before.