Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    just a simple search on Google " Mazda MPV lemon" and got this site:
    see it for yourself
    http://www.mylemon.com/Lemon_Car_Complaints.htm

Real story came from my sister in law working as an assistant on an attorney's office specialized in auto lemon "cases". She warned me based on her boss's abundance work involving new MPV's lemon files....
    Unbelievable for a made in Japan product... but hey, isn't Mazda a Ford??? :lemon:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    By itself, that data means very little. The S2000 is a very reliable vehicle, how do we know teenagers didn't wear out clutches drag racing or something, then not tell their parents?

Also, why doesn't the Mountaineer, an Explorer clone, even make the list?

-juice
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    CR rates the MPV as having poor reliability, so I believe that. That's a good reason to consider the Mazda5 instead...it's expected to be more reliable than the MPV.

I'm not sure that I believe the "lemon law" page that you posted though, because I can find numerous other websites with different versions of the same list. For example, here's one "lemon law" list that doesn't even contain the MPV: http://www.lemonlaw.com/carcomplaintindex.html
    projected list....means no real facts yet ( IMO)
    prime source for my info about MPV's record lemon complains was, as mentioned, my inlaw sis.
    She drives an M6, no bad feelings against Mazda ,though.
    And she's very cute too :blush:
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I believe that first one is accurate... for the year 2000. Some of those vehicles are no longer for sale and haven't been sold for a few years.

That said, I've seen a good deal of poor reviews regarding the MPV. Every company has got at least junker. Until we have data to suggest otherwise, I'd have to assume the Mazda5 is going to do about as well as most other Mazda products. Which is about average.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Thank God our 2002 MPV has been perfect. I guess somebody has to be blessed so that the statistics won't lie.

John
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    In the Mazda 3 forum regarding problems there are numerous complaints about the A/C in the 3 - both 04 an 05 models. It seems the compressor shuts off too early regardless of the setting and then does not come back on until the air that is blowing out of the vents is very warm.
    The 5 Touring has auto climate control which is not available on the 3 so perhaps it is a different unit. If not, I am very concerned because I live in Arizona - today 109 degrees. Anyone who is now driving a 5 would be able to provide valuable information about their experience with this situation. Since there are no rear vents this seems a critical factor..
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think the 5 will score well, the 3 has done fairly well so far plus the 5 is built in Japan and doesn't share Ford parts like the MPV and 6 (Duratec engines).

-juice
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the 5 will be reliable. That is one major problem for someone who is willing to purchase a first year model.

We bought the first year (2003) Honda Civic Hybrid and just recently received our first recall. The engine condrol module is improperly programmed making the engine run lean. I've already had the catalytic converter replaced because of this. Overall, we are satisfied with our first year model and are willing to take the chance with the 5. It is based on the 3, which is reliable, and is made in Japan Just hope I don't get a :lemon: .
  • dbond1dbond1 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a Carbon Gray 5-speed with sunroof for about $400 OFF MSRP (in Bay Area, no less). This is the "Miata of Minivans" as far as I'm concerned. A bit slow off the line, but quick in 2nd and 3rd. Downshifting to 4th is great for passing on the highway. Definitely slower fully-loaded, but hey, you should see my one year-old daughter in the third row with the windows down--she puts her hands up like she's riding a roller coaster. Tight turning circle, strong brakes, great fun around town. Clutch travel a bit long, shift feel is excellent. Easy to get small children in/out via the back hatch! Revs are definitely close to 4000 at 70+ mph, but engine noise at this speed is still fairly muted. Steering not as well-weighted as my old Focus. Only significant complaint is that legroom and kneeroom for driver is just adequate for me (6 ft). You CAN get a cargo cover, BTW.

This is a great only car for anyone with 1-2 kids, and a great second car for us (we have 3 kids under six; other car is an Odyssey). I think it is a deal even at MSRP (as long as you skip the nav). Huge kudos to Mazda for bringing this vehicle to the US.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    It seems that everyone who says that the Mazda5 is a great car indicates that it's great for anyone with only a couple of kids. It seems to me that if you only need something to hold 4-5 people including kids, then there are a host of other small station wagons to choose from that are cheaper. If the Mazda5 is the second car to a family with a minivan, why get another mini-minivan and not just a small sedan or wagon, since when you do have to carry 6 people you'll use the regular minivan anyway.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Don't forget the friends of kids and grandparents. That's the main reason I have an interest in the Mazda5. I have a family of five, so 90+% of the time a 5-seater is fine. But when we go somewhere with my mother or take a friend with us, we have to take two cars. That sixth seat could come in real handy, and without the penalty of having to buy a larger vehicle like a minivan.
    "Don't forget the friends of kids and grandparents. That's the main reason I have an interest in the Mazda5. I have a family of five, so 90+% of the time a 5-seater is fine. But when we go somewhere with my mother or take a friend with us, we have to take two cars. That sixth seat could come in real handy, and without the penalty of having to buy a larger vehicle like a minivan."

That makes sense if your second vehicle is not already a minivan. I'm directing this question for those who already have a minivan and are buying the Mazda5 as their second car.
  • lmccormicklmccormick Member Posts: 9
    I've heard several people mention being reluctant to purchase the 5 being as it's a first year vehicle. Hasn't it been in production for awhile now? I believe it's a popular vehicle in Europe and Japan so why would it still be considered a first year vehicle? Wouldn't all the glitches be worked out of it by now?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    No problem, but at least two of them need to be pretty short. :)
  • dbond1dbond1 Member Posts: 3
    The Mazda 5 works better for young kids than a small station wagon because of the layout of the seats. It is difficult to fit carseats and/or boosters 3 across the back seat of conventional vehicles. Even with only 2 carseats, basically you are left with a 4 seater, because no adult wants to sit squeezed between two carseats in the back.

With the M5, on the other hand, you can fit 2 carseats in the third row, one in the second, and still have plenty of room for 3 adults.

The reason we have a minivan and a microvan is for maximum flexibility when playing the school/daycare/camp/playdate/sports team pick up and drop off game.
  • mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    Well I just filled up my Mazda5. I got 27.5 MPG. I don't drive in the city just a small town and country roads. But have been using the Ac alot as temps have been in the 90's and very humid. I have not had any warm air blowing but it is not really cold air. Also of note is that we don't have any kids under 21 but we have 5 dogs. I had it on the high way today and was doing 80 way to easy. The engine sound is not bad even at that speed. I kinda wish it wasn't so much fun to drive. :D
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    4,000 rpm @ 80 mph seems to be about the same as my Integra, which is quite high. The speed limit where I live is 75 (so 80 on the highway is the norm) and we take lots of long trips for the kids sporting events, so 4,000 rpm for 4-5 hours straight can be tiring, not to mention the extra gas it uses and the extra stress on the engine. I am still hoping for a 6-speed (same first 5 gears plus a taller overdrive).

Also the option for three seats in the middle would be nice.

Maybe these things will be considered for the refreshening.
  • kaiankaian Member Posts: 36
    I just purchased my Mazda5 in the bay area too. :) I'm a 5-speed Phantom Blue in the south bay, hope to see you around sometime! My two boys love it, and with my third child about to arrive in a few weeks I'm glad I got what I wanted now. :)
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    Thank you for your post. Your comment about the a/c is very similar to the many posts on "Mazda 3 problems and solutions" . I pulled up all the posts on a/c and there were about 200 of them, both for the 04 and 05 models. Many of them stated that the a/c got cool but never really cold. In Arizona this is a big red flag. I'll be retesting the car in two weeks before I make my decision on purchasing and I will test drive it both in traffic and on the highway with an eye towards how well the "automatic climate control" functions. You would think that with the numerous complaints, many of which required a special Mazda service representative to visit the dealer, that the new model would have really good a/c.
    This is such a great car otherwise but in this hot climate it is my number one conern.
  • rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    "It seems that everyone who says that the Mazda5 is a great car indicates that it's great for anyone with only a couple of kids. It seems to me that if you only need something to hold 4-5 people including kids, then there are a host of other small station wagons to choose from that are cheaper."

I understand what you are saying regarding folks who already have a minivan and that criticism does make some sense, however, I challenge you to find a sporty station wagon with the same features as the M5 that is considerably less expensive. Right now, I cannot think of one.
  • rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    I have noticed that most, if not all of the posters who have purchased an M5 have gone with the manual over the automatic. Do you think Mazda/Mazda dealers have underestimated the number of buyers who will want a 5-speed or are we as proponents of manual transmissions just more enthusiastic about them.

Also, is the dearth of cars sold in the North America with manual transmissions in general really a result of customer's distaste for them or is it that automatics have been pushed on us (not to mention the additional profit they bring)?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You make an excellent point. There are few wagons as sporty as the 5, and none cheaper. The closest sporty wagon was the Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart but they don't make them anymore and even when they did, they stickered for $19800. That was without 17" alloys and head curtain airbags. No 5 speed was offered either. The 5 is an excellent value.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    No owners responded to my question earlier so I figured it may have got lost in the discussion about the MPV. Does the dome light turn on when the key is pulled out of the ignition?
  • lamjplamjp Member Posts: 18
    :) Relax, bwaters.
    My family bought and still own the first year model of a new Mazda Protege 1990 with GT trim level.
    It still starts every time and takes my family members home safely every trip over the last 15 years and still counting, under Canadian harsh weather
    The car is almost maintenance free if not for for the gas, occasional oil change.
    Except for the usual one set of new replacement spark plugs and cables, worn out 2 sets of snow tires, 2 batteries, muffler replacement (with life-time warranty), and brake pad and rotor replacement, almost every component that came factory installed with the Protege 1990 GT remains intact and operational as of today.
    By the way, our Madza Protege 1990 GT is built in the same location that is building the Mazda5. So most of the same assembly and engineering crew may still be working in the same plant ?!
    My hats off to any of those that built our family Mazda Protege 1990 GT, if they are still around.

I wish I can say the same to our family VW GOLF :lemon:

" I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the 5 will be reliable. That is one major problem for someone who is willing to purchase a first year model." [bwaters]
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    I just noticed this last night - yes the dome light does come on when you remove the key from the ignition.
    Anyone know enough about car performance to understand why the auto Mazda5 gets 3 MPG worse on the highway than the auto Mazda3 5-door? I noticed that the gearing is nearly identical, with just slightly lower highway RPMs on the Mazda5. Is the MPG difference just because of the weight?

I'm asking because the salesperson I talked to said it was because of the increased drag on the Mazda5. But I noticed this morning that the coefficient of drag on the Mazda5 is listed as 0.31 on the Mazda Canada site, but the coefficient of drag for the MAzda3 5-door is listed HIGHER at 0.346. Is it possible that the 3 actually has more drag than the 5, or must this be a typo on Mazda's part? If the 5 actually has less drag than the 3 and a nearly identical engine/gearing, then wouldn't the 5 get better highway mileage than the 3?

Just a curiousity...of course it doesn't affect my decision to buy one ;)
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    bobw3: It seems to me that if you only need something to hold 4-5 people including kids, then there are a host of other small station wagons to choose from that are cheaper.

I prefer the tall profile and sliding doors of the 5 over a traditional station wagon. Right now, the 5 is the only game in town in it's category. Smaller than a minivan, taller than a station wagon, able to leap tall buildings... ;)

I hope the 5 is a great success and spurs development of other similar vehicles.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    smaria: Anyone know enough about car performance to understand why the auto Mazda5 gets 3 MPG worse on the highway than the auto Mazda3 5-door?

I admit I'm disappointed in the 5's mpg. I had a 2000 V6 Buick Century that got over 30 on the highway. With the 5's weight and slick profile, it should be able to hit 30. It doesn't have a significant mpg advantage over larger minivans like it should.
    There are two things that effect aerodynamic drag. The first is the cd (.31) and the second is the frontal area (the exact outline as seen from the front - what actually punches through the air), which is generally not published. You multiply the cd by the frontal area to get the actual drag.

So a brick that is 31 square feet frontal area with a cd of 1.0 (1.0 x 31 = 31) would have the same drag as a Mazda 5 that is 100 square ft frontal area (.31 x 100 = 31). Of course a Mazda 5 has less than 100 square ft frontal area. I used round numbers for simplicity.

A M5 is taller than an M3, so it has a larger frontal area.
    Thanks for the explanation! That makes sense now...the Mazda5 DOES have more total drag than the Mazda3, even though the coefficient is smaller.

Steve
    Regarding mpg

A 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has about the same cylinder volume as a 3.5 liter v-6. If all other things are equel the 6 can get better mileage by reducing rpm vs the 4, and a V-6 that turns 2000 rpm at 60 mph has the same number of explosions of the same same size as a 4-cyl that is turning at 3,000 rpm. The larger Honda and Toyota minivans actually cruise at less than 2,000 rpms at 60. Additionally the Toyota engine is only 3.3 liters and the Honda uses VCM. This is why the larger minivans equel the mileage of the 5.

Also the 2.3 is not as efficient as the 2.4 from Honda and Toyota (down about 2 mpg on the highway) to begin with, so that is part of the problem.

I do think in real life the manual tranny 5 will not be too bad as the EPA does favor automatics.

Part of the reason that the 4 revs higher with a Manual transmission is that Mazda believes (along with many other car manufacturers) that people will percieve the vehicle as underpowered if they have to shift down on the highway. How often do you hear people on these forums brag about going uphill without downshifting or complain about having to downshift. Higher revs mean more power and less likelyhood of having a down shift.

My feeling is that people who buy manuals don't mind the occasional down shift if they are rewarded with better gas mileage, quieter cruising, and less engine wear, but obviously Mazda feels different.

This is not unique to Mazda. The Acura TSX is the same way. The automatic loafs along, but the manual revs much higher.
  • bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    No owners responded to my question earlier so I figured it may have got lost in the discussion about the MPV. Does the dome light turn on when the key is pulled out of the ignition?

Yes. It stays on for about a minute. Also, the dashboard lights stay on for the same length of time.

When you open the back door, the dome light in the back lights, and if you open either of the front doors both the front and back dome lights go on.

I hope this illuminates your question.
    Nissan ( Murano), Mitsu ( Outlander) are also made in Japan, but very unreliable so far.
    Not everything that flies, is a bird :)
    Time will tell about M5's reliability, IMHO, not the "made in" factor.
    Dan
  • drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    I went to the dealer near us today and test drove one of the two 5s they have (one sport and one touring with navigation, both automatics). I test drove the touring. It performed well as I expected. I told the salesguy I like it but I did not like the color (carbon gray) and that I prefer one without navigation. He offered me the price of touring without navigation (MSRP - $2000.00) that is $22,410 - $2000.00 = $ 20,410.00. Even though I did not like the color, I grabbed the offer. Then I told him I have to trade in my 2003 base Matrix. He offered to buy my car for more than $2500 below Edmunds trade in value. I counter offered him $ 500 below the trade in value. He then added $500 from his previous offer but I stood my ground. I thought he was trying to recover the price for the navigation so I took my key back and went home.
  • momstoymomstoy Member Posts: 30
    I just discovered that the M5 existed last week - the next day I ran down to the nearest dealer that had one in stock to go for a test drive. They had sold the only manual trans in a 50 mi. radius just 30 min. before I got there :(

We wanted a phantom blue touring manual w/nav - but they said that all they had coming in were automatics. The next day we went to another dealership (where my brother works) to take a closer look and test drive even if it was an automatic. After the test drive we sat down to order our own! They looked at their incoming shipment list and had 2 pages of automatics....until...the very last vehicle on the list was.....can you guess? A phantom blue touring manual trans w/nav!!

Next week is the expected arrival date - it'll be the first manual trans to arrive at the dealership and our salesman (my brother!) promised to make sure that no workers abuse it before we pick it up. Getting more excited every day.

I've thought about the possible difficulty of reselling a manual trans mini-minivan, but I'm hoping that when the time comes there will be another miata/M3/"choose your sportscar" fanatic that is in need of some family wheels. I think that the M5 is such an exciting option to have for the someone who would love to be driving an M3 but needs a people mover/grocery getter.
  • rrratinarrratina Member Posts: 27
    Greetings:

I am about to take the plunge and purchase the Mazda 5! We test drove the manual and like it. I read some posts which mentioned a Gerber $500.00 rebate. Does anyone know if this is still available? I checked Gerber's website but did not readily find any reference to this.

Also, it seems the invoice is now listed on several sites for both models. While I will negotiate for the best price, I refuse to pay a $1,000.00 "availability fee" (I'm very patient!). I suppose if people pay the fee, the dealer can get away with it. Is it possible to make the purchase without it?

Does anyone know if security glass is an option?

Thanks to all of you for your information posted here! It has proven very enlightening and informative!

ratina
    Anyone who trades in a car when buying a new one is bound to get lots of discounts and price cuts because dealers make much more $$ on selling used cars than new ones. The best thing to do is tell them up front you have a trade-in, and then after negotiating the new car price, tell the dealer you changed your mind on the trade-in and now they can't take back the discounts they gave you. If you don't want to sell the car yourself, just go to a consignment place. Or just sell it to any used car lot and you'll get more then trading it in at a dealer.
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I'm not in the market for a new car, since I bought a new 04 Nissan Quest last year, but while I was in for an oil change, I walked across the street to the Mazda dealer to check out the Mazda 5. It is a cool looking vehicle. The dealer is tacking on a $3,000 MARKET ADJUSTMANT to the MSRP. What a rip-off. I remeber Honda did this with the 05 Odyssey when it first came out. It did go away in couple of months.
    Just filled the tank for the first time.

351.79 miles
    12.099 gallons
    ----
    29.07 mpg

:-)
    The first time I filled my Civic Hybrid tank I got 47.6 mpg... Well, after 32k, mostly in city, it is averaging 39.7 mpg. So... I'd be happy with 26 mpg for a vanlet.
    Completely happy - I have been taking it real easy on the engine so far, trying to keep the 5-speed under 3,000 rpm.
    Relax, bwaters.

Oh, I'm relaxed :) Your Protege story is great. The Civic Hybrid was the first new car that I have purchased.

Here's my life list of cars: I drove our family 1972 Malibu from 1976, when I turned 16, until I was 19. I then purchased a red 1970 Peugeot 404 Wagon, 4 on the column, for $600. It Lasted 7 years and I gave it away in 1986 to someone who wanted to keep it running. It had a rusted out unibody. I drove it over 180k. My next car was a green 1974 Volvo Wagon, 4 speed overdrive, purchased for $1,200 in 1985, I had 2 cars until I gave away the Peugeot. It lasted 5 years until 1990. I drove it over 160k. I sold it to a friend for $500 in 1990, who then totaled it in 1991. I then purchased a 1987 Toyota 4 Runner, 5 speed, in 1990. It had 70K when I bought it for $9,000 and I sold it for $2,500 in 2002 with 240k. I then drove my wife's 1988, 5 speed Corolla Wagon, which we purchased used in 1996 for $4,000, until March of 2003, when we purchased the Civic Hybrid. We sold the Corolla that we named "Tigger" because our daughter scratched "Tigger" into the paint when she was 8 years old, to to our neighbors for $1,200, in September of 2003, who are still driving it daily. We purchased a 95 Camry Wagon in 2000, and had 3 cars for 2 years. The Camry Wagon (7 seater) is still my wife's only car. She also drove a 72 Volvo Sedan, 4 speed, overdrive, before we purchased the 88 Corolla wagon in 1995. Now it is time to replace her 95 Camry Wagon with a Mazda5. The Camry is still very comfortable. We have always maintained our cars carefully. The jump seats in the back are small. My wife wants another manual transmission after driving the Camry Wagon. So... Now we will probably buy a new Mazda 5, manual transmission, Phantom Blue Sport.
    Some experts advice the other way around. They say that only mention about your trade in when you finished negotiating with the price of the new car. If you tell them that you have a trade in up front and then tell them you changed your mind afterwards, what keep them from changing their mind too about the price you negotiated with the new car? I think you don't know what you are talking about. Have you trade in a car before?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    If you tell them up front that you have a trade, you will never know what they really gave you for the trade. They are really just buying your old car from you, and it will either go on their used lot or be sent to auction. Either way, despite what some people are lead to believe, they are never going to give you more for your trade than it's worth.
  • tcw2tcw2 Member Posts: 9
    I'd very much like to hook my iPod up to the factory Mazda 5 radio. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this something the dealer should be able to help with, or even a local car-audio place?

Ideally, I'd like one cable that hooks up to the iPod dock connect to provide both power, audio, and makes use of the steering wheel audio controls. And, daring to dream, also sends track info to the radio display.

I'd settle for one cable that provides power and audio, and makes use of the "media" button on the factory stereo.

Anyone already do this, if not in the 5, perhaps in the 3?
    Went to a dealer about 35 miles away from home and drove test their Mazda5 touring auto with nav system, carbon gray. Liked it but I told the salesman I preferred a platinum silver without nav. He talked to his manager and came to me with an offer of MSRP - nav system price ($22,410 - $2000). It sounded good to me and grabbed the offer. Then talked to him about trading in my 2003 Matrix. They appraised my car and salesman came back to me with offer of $2800 below Edmunds trade in value. I counteroffered with $500 below trade in value. He conferred with his manager and they also upped their price by $500. I stood my price and they said they can't accept it so I went home. The next day, the salesman called me at home and told me they are now accepting my offer and told me to come to the dealership. I rushed expecting to bring my new car home. When I got to the dealer, the manager brought me to a room and began talking to me. He said he is now accepting my price but now he changed the price of the Mazda 5. He now wants $1000 more for his car. I asked him why didn't they tell me that over the phone? He is now saying that he did not know what his salesman offered me. I asked for his salesman but he said he is the boss that he is the one to decide the price of his car. To my dismay, I stood up, told him he just wasted my time, left the room, banged the door behind me and went home.
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I looked at " carsdierct.com" pricing for a Mazda 5 touring with automatic & Nav. Msrp is $22,410. They are offering it for $21,814. Touring with just auto msrp is $20,410. Carsdirect price is $20,094. Their price includes the destination charge. These are as is/no haggle prices. They do not add any additional fees. Their prices are based on true market value for each respective model.
    I have purchased 2 cars through cars direct. A 2001 Jetta( $800.00 below msrp) and a 2004 Nissan Quest ($2,000 below msrp.) You basically place your order on line, a representative calls the next day to confirm your order. They then look for your car through a network of dealers. It took about a week and 1/2 for them to find the exact car I wanted and for me to pick it up. I had my own financing, so I walked in gave them a check, signed a few papers and drove out in 1/2 hour. It was truly the most pleasant car buying experience.
    If you do go through a dealer contact the internet department, rather than go through a sales person. Edmunds own research has found that dealer internet departments quote better prices and less hassle. They have an article about it somewhere in this website.
    I hope this helps. Good luck
    If you are going to trade in a car at a dealer then the experts are right in that you shouldn't bring it up until after you negotitated the price. But since "officially" the trade in is not supposed to affect the negotiated price, then they won't change their price just because you changed your mind on the trade in.
    Like I said before, they give you deals on the car because they make it up on the trade in. They would have made about $5K from you.
This discussion has been closed.