Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I think if they market as a minivan it may flop. It might have a hard sell here in the States regardless of marketing efforts.

I thought it was very sleek and looked great in person. I would seriously give it a look if I was in the market for a new vehicle this summer.
  • johnr1johnr1 Member Posts: 9
    I don't get why anyone would think this is some sort of SUV crossover.

Most Americans live in the 'burbs and a big vehicle is not a problem. They are ok with no-longer-mini vans.

But not everyone wants to drive a big vehicle. People who live in cities, and many Canadians, don't want a big vehicle.

Is the 5 a high volume vehicle for the mainstream? I doubt it. Might it be a viable niche player? I think so.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Well, if I hadn't just bought a new maxi-van (Oddysey) I would be very interested in this one. Not sure if I could convince the wife it was big enough for the 2x year travel excursions (with lots of crap), but I would try , since damn it, it has a 5 speed!

Actually, it would work great for us as a second car (my car actually). We have 2 kids (9/13), so don't need copious room normally, but do need the extra seats on occassion. I would prefer the +1 jump seat though. With a roof rack/bag, I could probably make do size wise, if I could get my wife to pack lighter.

Could be a perfect vehicle for a small family, but quite likely it will not sell well, only because of the negative connotations of a minivan, even though the sliders make it much more practical/usable.

Also think it allows Mazda to come out with a larger (full-sized) mini van, to effectively replace the medium MPV with small/large.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Yep. They'll roll down just as they've been doing on the MPV for more than a decade (Mazda had it first, btw).

Meade
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The 5 is not going to be a volume product for the US market...I have heard several numbers and they are all around 20K per year
    That bodes well for those of us who prefer to stay away from the herd and show some originality!

That's why I bought a Protege in 1991 and a Protege5 in 2002 ... and why I just might buy a Mazda5 this fall.

Meade
    will you be man enough to order some with the 5 speed? Or will this be one of those options that only exists in the brochure?

Just the thought of a stick shift minivan gets me all tingly...

It just came out too late. I could have gotten this as my daily driver + travel car, and the wife could have the BMW she always wanted!

if it's available with a stick....I will order apx 10% with a stick.
    If it's based on the 3S with the 2.3-liter (which I borrowed for a weekend last summer and zoomed to my heart's content), with the 3's handling, then yes, I shall be in need of a manual box!

If it ain't ... looks like it'll be a Mazda3 wagon pour moi.

Meade
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    The 5 speed stick should give better mpg and more fun to drive. Mazda should also look at upgrading to a 5 speed auto to make it better.

I read on another (Autoweek) forum that they had seen the 5 at the Montreal Show. The person states that the rear seats are hard to get in and out of. Space with the seats down was so-so. Stated that the Mazda3 wagon was better.

Also did you note on the interior pictures that there are NO armrests for front and middle seat passengers on the Mazda5!! Honda did that on the Element but then started putting them in after people complained..at least on the EX!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Only a stick for me as well. More fun, faster, cheaper to buy, better gas mileage - no comparison.
    No armrests? Maybe not for the front seat passenger, but a big one for the middle-seat ones!

http://media.mazda.ch/dossiers/Mazda5/images/high/mazda5_46.jpg

Meade
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Here is a quote from Mott who saw and sat in the Mazda 5 at Montreal..

"To get in the third row is NOT that easy !

IT's like getting in the third row of the Pacifica.

The space is more for small people, you feel cramp.

Storage is not that great, your better off with the

Mazda3 sport."
    if mazda has your email chances are you will receive an announcement on the Mazda5 in the next few days.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    about what?
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    How about families with ONE kid?

This sleek, hi-tech-nish mini SUV is an excellent buy and alternative to bulky heavy-metal body and outdated pwrtrain of the US minivans.

This very EUROPEAN car will only fit for European people with the rational European mentality " bigger is not necessarily better".

Mazda knows that. Most of NA buyers for M5 will be Europeans/Asians living in the US, or French Canadians.
    I agree. I live in Mi, went to NAIAS and Mazda 5 stand was totally ignored by all big mammas and big daddies with gallons of pop containers in their arms...
    Its just a teaser email...but there are a couple nice pics and you can sign up to get more info as it becomes available.
  • bruincubbruincub Member Posts: 1
    There is a whole marketing segment that just may "get" this vehicle. I've driven the Mazada3 and really like the sporty aspect of it. I've also checked out the Honda Element but its not that fun to drive. As someone without kids who wants some cargo space and have a fun driving experience, this vehicle seems like the best of both worlds. I'm sure it will fit with many other peoples needs, not just small families. I just hope it comes with the stereo hard drive and a sunroof in the US. Listen up Mazda.
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Automobile's crystal ball article this month includes the Mazda5. No real content, but they sign off saying "Will it fly: Does anybody remember the Expo LRV?"
  • bigworld2000bigworld2000 Member Posts: 11
    I loved my Expo LRV. Reliable, lots of storage, and 35 mpg. A fabulous car.

Mitsubishi never marketed the thing right. Hopefully Mazda will do a better selling job with the 5!
    I got the email today. If nothing else, I'm sure Mazda will send me another $25 gift card teser to go check it out!

• lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    Mazda 5 / Premacy 'DAMD'

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'KENSTYLE'

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'Bright Stylish Concept'

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'Active Customize'

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'Sound&Visual'

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Whoa! Hold off with the photos, please.

If you post a large number of big photos, the page loads incredibly slowly for most of us, even with high-speed access. If you want to direct members to several photos, please post links instead of using the < img src > tag.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

OK Kirstie, take those 5 large posts out if you can, I was hoping I would not have to do this, but here goes the thumbnailed version, oh well that's what happend when you try to take the easy way out, you end up doing it the hard way anyway.

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'DAMD'

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'KENSTYLE'

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'Bright Stylish Concept'

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'Active Customize'

Mazda 5 / Premacy 'Sound&Visual'

We got Mazda5 "sorta" brochures today...

They are more than a flyer but not a traditional full size brochure...They give a clue about the marketing and some of the features. More good pics also.

this is growing on me...
    Please check the official www.mazdausa.com site, where pictures of this BIG armrest does not exist.

This big armrest has a multipurpose role, and is actually flipping upright, becoming the back support of a 3-rd seat on the 2-nd row ( becoming actually a bench ).

The bottom of this impromptu bench flips from under the bottom of one of the 2-nd row seats. This intelligent seat module ( the desirable "+1") is only available for EUROPEAN and ASIAN markets. Not available for US/Canadian markets.

I've been to the NAIAS last week, have seen the M5 and it only has tinny armrests on both 2-nd row seats, and a considerable unused ( wasted) space between them. Seats only slide back and forth + recline ,which doesn't help too much for an extra seat....

3-rd row is mainly for children no older then 5. In real world, most of us would FOLD down the 3-rd row, for extra ( actually DECENT!) cargo space. And M5 would become a 4 seater only , not a 6 seater as advertised. As a 6 seater, , there is practically NO CARGO space left. Too bad.... Mazda should be aware that in this case, buyers will rather look for a Matrix/Vibe, or a minivan.

Mazda MUST add the +1 seat for US/Canadian market if interested in successfully selling this otherwise very sleek and hi-tech-nish mini-minivan.

And last, 5 spd auto transmission should be standard on M5. Mazda made a great marketing mistake starting production of the MPV with a 4 spd auto and 2.4L engine. Unacceptable!

Dan B
    I agree. With 3 kids I want a nice roomy fun to drive wagon, but this vehicle really only has room for two of them. I would prefer a standard 60/40 bench in the middle row that seats 3 comfortably.

Nice looking vehicle though. Love the stick.

Note to Mazda - why can't the 6 wagon get the 4-cyl 5 speed combo as well. Then there would be an efficient fun to drive wagon that could seat 5 comfortably with cargo space in the lineup. The currenty 6 does not come close in the efficiency category - using more gas than most minivans.
    I agree too. Styling could be deceiving us, but interior of M5 is not that practical as claimed so far. Just seeing it @ NAIAS

Mazda 6 wagon- gas mileage is awfull, worst then a Caravan. I wonder why, beside the fact that is a Ford powerplant...

Dan
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    And last, 5 spd auto transmission should be standard on M5. Mazda made a great marketing mistake starting production of the MPV with a 4 spd auto and 2.4L engine. Unacceptable!

Dan B

FWIW, the '00-'01 MPV had a 2.5L V6 with the 4sp AT.

Mazda 6 wagon- gas mileage is awfull, worst then a Caravan. I wonder why, beside the fact that is a Ford powerplant...

Like the '02+ MPV's 3.0L V6, the Mazda 6 engine is a Ford Duratec motor with Mazda tuning, etc. I believe gearing on the M6 affects it as well, when was the last time a Caravan was sporty or zoom-zoomy?

-Brian
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    It's the Mazda designed heads that maximize horespower at higher revs at the expense of lower end torque, if they put the current Duratec 30 from the Five Hundred in it it would be marginally slower but would probably get at least 5 mpg more.
    I still disagree. You and several others have your "children blinders" on when talking about this vehicle.

Let's put it this way.

I currently drive a 2000 Protege ES, and my wife drives a 2002 Protege5. Now, you can *call* these cars "five-seaters," but come on. Have you ever tried to put three people across the back seat of a Protege?

OK, so they're really four-seaters. And the back seat, while plenty big for a small car (even for my 280-pound frame), is nothing to write home about. Plenty of leg room, but not a whole lot of headroom, and the bench seat itself is your fairly standard small-car bench seat with backrest.

(Front-seat headroom in the Protege, by the way, while adequate, is not abundant for people my size -- I could not buy one with a sunroof because my head was on the ceiling.)

Now enter the Mazda5.

First, no one has mentioned headroom -- it appears there will be several more inches here. Anybody got any specs on this, maybe from the Japanese Premacy, for comparison with the Protege?

Second ... Rear seats. Now both of my rear-seat passengers will get true seats, like the ones up front ... seats that they can slide forward or backward, and RECLINE to their liking. I know of only one other small car that has adjustable rear seats, and that one only has three minor selections -- no true recline.

Third ... That "wasted" space between the second row of seats. Wasted? Ever had a long parcel to carry? Say, a 2x4 from Home Depot? Or an unassembled bookcase? A stepladder? No? Well, I have, plenty of times, and I don't own a pickup truck anymore. With the Protege5's trunk space being SHORTER than the trunk in my Protege, even the Protege gets tight when you're trying to load long items. For a six-foot (unassembled) bookcase recently, I had to recline the passenger seat and slide it all the way backward so I could stick one end of the box in the passenger-side footwell and the other end out the rear left WINDOW. And to make the necessary room I had to remove our kid's child safety seat and put it in the trunk. How nice it would've been to have a straight-through slot for it! (The box was too tall to go straight through the trunk opening and clear the reclined passenger seat -- yes, I did try that first.)

Oh, and keep in mind that the third row of seats fold independently of each other, so you could still carry five and have an appreciable amount of trunk space beside the fifth passenger. How versatile!

Please take off your "child-mobile" blinders when thinking about the Mazda5. This gives an alternative to people who don't need a 4WD mini-"ute", and who don't want a minivan or a "crew cab" small pickup. A small, fun-to-drive car that carries four ADULTS in more luxury than any other small car, plus it has the versatility to carry two small children in a pinch -- but mostly will serve as a well-appointed, comfortable four-seater with an awesomely big trunk for the size car it is, and amazing headroom to boot. Plus, the versatility to carry just about anything an average homeowner might bring home from Target or Home Depot on a Saturday.

Yep, a real Hiroshiman Army Knife! I just hope Mazda's marketing department has the forethought to market it that way.

This ain't a soccer-mom minivan, folks. Mazda has the MPV for that. This is an extremely versatile vehicle (think Element) but with Mazda's trademark ZOOM.

I'm on the "Keep Me Informed" list.

Meade
    I think meade is on target...the stuff that I have seen in the last day indicate that Meade's thinking is exactly where mazda is going with this vehicle...let me point out a few quotes from the brochure..

...welcomes 3 couples as comfortably as it does a couple mountain bikes...

...all 5 front, center and reat seats fold independently, creating a flat cargo floor that is over 5' long...

..highly adaptive nature fits your active lifestyle...

...in todays world of limited parking spaces, you can't beat the pair of SmoothMove sliding doors for ultra easy opening and closing...

...both center row seats have 6'' of travel...

...one touch walk in feature for easy access to rear row seating..

... for better all around view, both center and rear rows feature elevated, "theater style" seating..

...less than 35' turning radius...

..front side impact bags plus side impact air curtains w/coverage for front, center, rear seating...ABS w/EBD..

I'll continue to post info as I get it..
    ... lists the Mazda5 as 3.3 inches longer than the 3 wagon and SIX INCHES TALLER.

Yeah!!!

Meade
    The thing is that with a bench type seat in the middle you can seat 2 adults or 3 children comfortably. You can still slide and tilt the individual halves of the seat, but if you want a bench, for 3 people you have it.

I see it as taking away a lot of flexibility for not much (if any) gain in rear seat comfort for 2.

3 Couples? 2 adults in the back of the 5 will probably not be too happy.

Look at the middle row seat of the Japanese Odyssey. It has plenty of room - that is how a good middle seat could be made.

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/odyssey/interior/seatarrange-4- - /index.html

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/odyssey/interior/interior-imag- - e1/index.html

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/odyssey/photo-lib/photo08.html

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/odyssey/photo-lib/photo07.html

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/odyssey/photo-lib/photo05.html

Unfortunately Honda neither makes this vehicle with a stick, nor brings it to the US. That leaves Mazda.
    You're comparing the Mazda5 to a FULL-SIZE MINIVAN!!!

You just don't get it, do you? You're asking the Mazda5 to be something it's not designed to be. This is like comparing a Toyota Tacoma to a Nissan Titan and then blasting the Tacoma because it can't carry a 4x8-foot sheet of plywood like the Titan can.

You want a full-sized Mazda minivan with a bench seat in the middle?

GO BUY AN MPV!!!

At least compare apples to apples, for goodness' sake! Show me a fully equipped Odyssey for $22K, by the way. Honda's website says the Odyssey STARTS at $24,995 -- that's at least $5,000 (if not $6,000) higher than the starting price of the Mazda5.

Dang it, I'm so peeved that my Protege doesn't have the oomph of an RX-8!!! I don't understand why; both cars DO have four doors, after all ...

Meade
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Um the Odyssey in Japan has nothing in common with the Odyssey sold here in North America. Our Odyssey is called the LaGreat over in Japan.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Precisely the reasons this class of car is so popular in Europe. It comes down to versatility and utility in a small easy to park package. Not everyone can afford 2 or 3 vehicles, each optimized for a specific role, not to mention affording places to park them, not everyone wants 3 vehicles either. Additionally, if you're an urban-dweller one of the main reasons for owning a car is not just as personal transportation, public transport can at times be more convenient,rathe it's your personal vehicles ability to haul "stuff" that matters. The Mazda 5 is ideal for this role.

That said: Will I buy one? Probably not, I just bought a Montego, which meets my needs pretty well, but if the 5 had been available last fall it's very likely that one would be in my driveway now, several thousand dollars more would be in the account, and I'd be able to use the garage shop without moving the car out :(
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Even the middle hump in that JDM Odyssey doesn't look too hospitable. Very, very few of those do.

Mazda figures if space is a priority you'd get the MPV. The 5 will be for familes with 2 kids, with the +2 seats in the back for the occasional car pool.

And in those circumstances cargo space isn't important. All they might have is a book bag, at most.

Look at the Element - it's been hugely successful yet it only seats 4. This car will be more flexible with the +2 seats.

Saw it in person at NAIAS, BTW, lookin' good.

-juice
    You obviously don't know me too well. I used to be an investigative reporter, and I believe in checking facts, and I believe in attribution! So I did. I went right here ...

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/odyssey/dimensions/index.html

(The site referenced a few posts ago, but this is the "dimensions" page ...)

... and found that the Japanese Odyssey, which you're talking about here, is more than TEN INCHES LONGER than the Mazda5, has a 3-inch longer wheelbase than the Mazda5, and is almost two inches wider!

Now, interestingly, I visited MazdaUSA's website and got the same dimensions for the MPV.

Well, guess WHAT.

American MPV vs. JAPANESE Odyssey:

Wheelbase: 111.8/111.4

Length: 189.5/187.6

Width: 72.1/70.9

Yep, fellas, they're virtually the SAME SIZE. And the MPV has all that cool stuff like a second-row bench seat, a third-row seat that accommodates adults and disappears into the floor, etc., etc., etc.

So again ... compare apples to apples. The Mazda5 is substantially smaller than ANY Honda with the Odyssey name on it. It's a different class of vehicle entirely. Compare the Japanese Odyssey to the American MPV when you're trying to figure out how to stuff your apples in this apple barrel.

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I wonder if they'd consider bringing that over.

ANYWAYS....

The Mazda5 and the Ford C-Max are built on the same platform. At last year's CES, I sat in a demo C-Max. I have to say it's a nice package. Lots of head-room (6', but I've a long torso, so I "sit" as high as a person 6'3" -6'4" of "average" proportions). Comfortable seating position with very good outward visibility. If the Mazda5 is like that, it'll draw a lot of folks looking for something between a wagon and a minivan. I'll consider it, depending on what the fuel economy (and stereo set-up...I want to plug in my iPod or be able to EASILY swap in an aftermarket stereo that offers me the same ability) is like.
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    Here's an interesting picture which overlaps the silhouettes of the Mazda3 5-door, Mazda5, and MPV:

Dimensions: Mazda5/MPV (from mazda.ca)

Length: 181/189.3 inches

Width: 69.1/72.1

Height: 64.2/68.7

Wheelbase: 108/111.8

Note to Mazda - why can't the 6 wagon get the 4-cyl 5 speed combo as well. Then there would be an efficient fun to drive wagon that could seat 5 comfortably with cargo space in the lineup.

The Mazda6 wagon weighs about 400lbs more than the sedan. A 4cyl 5speed version would be in very low demand and acceleration would be unimpressive. I remember reading a review of an English Mazda6 AWD 4cyl wagon that went 0-60 in 12.5 seconds with the stick. Granted, AWD adds more weight...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Interesting, indeed. Mazda5 actually seems closer in size to the MPV!

-juice
    This pictures convinced me the most. Thanks for posting it. It's exactly what I am looking for size wise.

I only can be in sync with Meade , saying "I'm on the "Keep Me Informed" list"

Thanks again!.

Dan
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Sheesh relax will you.

No I don't know you well - never saw you handle on Edmunds before. Many folks confuse the JDM and NA Odysseys so I presumed you had.

OK you win - I lose.

BTW - the JDM Odyssey doesn't have sliding doors so can it be compared to the M5?
This discussion has been closed.