Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I bet a lot of competitors are watching closely to see if Mazda has success in this segment. It's been tried before, so the question is, are conditions better this time around?

I think an AWD option would help, they could market it as a crossover with a low price.

The 6 and MPV now have less than average reliability (per CR), but the 3 still does well. The 5 is related to the 3 so it might also do well in that category.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Automotive News is reporting that the next MPV (07 Model Year) may not come to North America - it's too small.

Looks like the 5 has to be their people mover.
    I just hope they don't get a Freestar clone...

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Well the reason Mazda says the MPV may not come over is the size issue - it's not big enough for American tastes. Maybe they'll develop an MPV based on the 6 or perhaps a cross over that'll sell better than a mini van.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    well based on the size of the new Sienna I would say the natural progression would be for a winnebago sized MPV....then it might be big enough.

OTOH...mazda says lets try something smaller...thats what I like about mazda, they aren't good at following the heard.
  • lendricklendrick Member Posts: 10
    As of this weekend my local dealership has a 5 in stock. There is only one and the sales manager is driving it. The sales person I spoke with is going to set a time so the manager will bring it in and I can test drive it. According to the sales person it was a blast to drive and the handling is "awesome". I would suspect that is usual sales talk but I would not expect them to point out the handling as the first hook. Should be interesting. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    that the CrossSport will fill the void when the MPV goes away in NA.

-Brian
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I think the 5 needs better fuel economy to set it apart from it's larger competition. MPG in the 20s is adequate but a porky Sienna can get that. It needs a diesel option with mpg in the 30s.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Where are you located, Lendrick? I am anxiously awaiting my chance to drive one of them up here in Vancouver, BC. :)
    That would be too niche-within-a-niche. Diesel costs more here and low-sulfur diesel will increase prices even further.

While I like diesels, it would be a tough sell.

-juice
    I am in Denver, CO. There is only one 5 in the state and it did not even go to the biggest Mazda dealer. It does not show on their website yet. I have not been able to find s-plan pricing on it yet either. It sure is tempting to wait it out until the rebates hit. But the dealers may be willing to deal on these vehicles to get their numbers and get more on the lot. I would imagine Mazda wants this brand new segment on the streets quickly. Driving down the highway in full view of turning heads may be the best advertising Mazda can do for the 5.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    When you find the S-plan pricing for it, please post it! I have the S-plan also.
    I hope they advertise it, because I haven't heard anything outside of this thread and the car show circuit. They don't really have much buzz going.

The MX-5 is getting attention, so hopefully that will draw people in, and those will see the 5.

-juice
  • payas22payas22 Member Posts: 2
    How do you find out which dealer has a Mazda-5? Do you have to call each one? I would really like to test-drive one in the DC (Maryland/Virginia) area to decide if I should wait for them to
    become available in the summer or simply buy a CRV.
    I had just let a local dealer know I was interested a couple of months ago and for her to email me when the 5 arrives. After she said she had the only one in the state I contacted other dealers to verify that and sure enough they did not know when they would be getting them. I have not received s-plan pricing from her yet but will post the numbers when I get them. I contacted fordpartners.com directly but they said the s-plan pricing would come from the dealership. I hope to hear back from the sales person this afternoon and take the 5 for a spin Weds or Thrs. Hopefully you will get a glowing review! I will give all the details after my ride.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Great! Can't wait to read your review... be sure to give us the positives and the negatives!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I just spoke with the sales person. She is contacting the district manager today to set up my test drive. She said she does not have pricing of any kind on the 5 yet and that they won't start receiving stock until the end of June. I'll keep the update coming as I get them and will be sure to take a camera with me to give everyone a true perspective of this vehicle. I'll try to get shots showing the legroom in the thrid row and some comparison shots next to a minivan and a regular sedan.
    Lendrick - make sure to take 5 other people in the vehicle with you and see if it can actually handle the weight and still be fun to drive... :)
    Fantastic! Thanks for doing all this. :)
    The amount of money I would have to spend on their five lunches to tag along would put too big of a dent in the new car fund!
    LOL!
    Well at least that way, you'd know that it can handle the weight ... when I get my chance I'm loading up the car for at least part of the Test Drive for sure. I need to know. :)
    Just a note, found this out from Mazda Canada today regarding child seats :

We verified what kind of anchors are on the Mazda5 and here is what we found:

Middle seats
    Each seats has 2 ISOFIX anchors on the front, bottom of the seatback
    Each seat has 1 upper tether strap (to hold the top of the child seat) in the back, bottom of the seat back

3rd row seats
    Each seat has 1 upper tether strap (to hold the top of the child seat) in the back, bottom of the seat back
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I just came back from "building my Mazda5" and found the following factoids that ought to be of some interest; sorry if some of this has been covered already:

U.S. pricing:

Mazda5 Sport: MSRP $17,995
    Mazda5 Touring: MSRP $19,510

Colors:

Platinum Silver
    Brilliant Black
    Phantom Blue
    Carbon Gray
    Cardinal Red
    Stellar Silver
    Strato Blue
    Whitewater Pearl*

* There's a $200 additional charge for the Whitewater Pearl paint.

I priced a Touring model with a 5-speed transmission and got a total MSRP of $19,510 (since there were no other options). There are only a handful of options available, most of which are things like wheel locks and cargo covers -- with the Hee-Uge exception of the grossly overpriced Navigation system, at a flat $2,000 -- ouch!

I was quite disappointed to see that Mazda has changed the front end for the U.S. version:

... compared to the auto show pics ...

Note the squared lower air intake, the way different grille and the loss of the diagonal lines that come down the hood and into the air dam on the original. Chalk up another loss of good looks to NHTSA, I'm sure!

Meade
    Where on Mazda's Web site are you seeing this?
    Go to www.mazdausa.com, click on "Vehicles" along the top, then on "Upcoming and Concept", then on "2006 Mazda5," and at the bottom, you'll see "Build It."

Meade
    Actually, now that I've looked over many photos of the Mazda5, I'm seeing two distinctly different front end styles being shown -- and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what country they're from. I think the real reason for the heavier-looking front end in the U.S. version is so the sides of the air dam will match the plastic "side sill extensions" that run down the side of the Mazda5 under the doors. These sill extensions aren't present in the photos of the car with the nicer-looking front end (the bottom photo in my post above).

Meade
    I still haven't seen anything on whether or not we can get those sexy euro roof rails either. That blue Mazda5 is the same one displayed at all the North American auto shows. The silver one is the European version.

At least you guys in the USA aren't forced into the tacky side sills! They come STANDARD up here, while in the US they are in the "Popular equipment package". :(:(
    ... on my Mazda3s wagon, which comes with them whether you want them or not. In the 3 series, only the 3i sedan comes without 'em -- and without the nice 2.3-liter engine.

I've read that they come off pretty simply, and that the car's painted under them -- but I'm a little scared to try this maneuver. They are growing on me, a little, but after three years of having to get out Q-Tips to clean the crevices between the extensions and the body on my wife's white 2002 Protege5, at least I can be happy I got a darker color so the dirt doesn't show as much.

Hey, I tried to talk her out of a white car. I had one back in the '80s. Never, ever again. Or black.

The best color car I ever had (for dirt -- not looks) was my 1992 Protege LX in "Elegant Beige Metallic" -- or, as I called it, "Elegant Dirt Metallic." I could get away without washing that car for months. :shades:

That said, the Mazda3's Velocity Red ain't so bad.

Meade
    Yeah I won't be able to take them off the 5, just because of the different bumpers too. :-) I have been railing (pun intended) very hard against this decision on the Mazda Canada forums, as I would be first in LINE if they gave me the Euro version with the roof rails, no stupid side sills and larger bumpers, and no clear white tail lights. The Euro version is gorgeous. The NA version looks like it's trying too hard.

I'm leaning towards the red on the 5, as well. :-)
    I'm starting (once again) to question Mazda's marketing strategies (or lack thereof). We've been told that they're aiming this vehicle at the young-adult market segment that would be looking at things like Subarus and Elements. Yet when I look at the bland, conservative, even adult choice of colors ("Whitewater Pearl?" Is this Zoom Zoom or Your Father's Oldsmobile???), I'm left wondering, HUH?

If this is going to be the sporty, do-everything runabout for those who are old enough to not want coffee-can exhaust pipes but young enough to have fun on the weekends, might Mazda have been a little more open on the color choices and offered something more vibrant?

I see not a trace of green or yellow -- nothing bright. Not even a white, for goodness' sake, without that oh-so-Buick pearlescence. Even the red color's been given the ho-hum name of "Cardinal Red," while on the Mazda3 and RX-8 the red is called "Velocity Red."

Take away the adjectives and you've got black, two blues, two silvers, and a gray. And that pearlescent white. So far, so Buick.

Oh, and for the "individual" who screams for something sporty, Cardinal Red. (Tweet tweet.)

I can see the kid now.

"Zoom Zoom ZZZZZZZZ ...."

Meade

P.S. You all are aware that I am a die-hard Mazda fan, right? So please forgive my ranting. I just wish their marketing department would WAKE UP!!!

A little photoshop mock-up, not perfect by any means but you get the idea... :)
    Send it to Hiroshima!

QUICK!!!

Meade
    If Mazda wants to kick-start a whole new car segment in the U.S. market, wouldn't it help to make the thing stand out a little bit?

With the colors that are being offered, park this thing in a school pick-up zone and its smaller size won't be the only thing that'll make it disappear in the sea of bland-looking minivans!

Park that yellow one in the midst of all the Oatmeal Odysseys, Carbonite Caravans and Steel Siennas, and you'll have a bunch of soccer moms screaming, "ZOOM ZOOM!!! right toe nearest Mazda dealership!

Meade
    Heh, thanks Meade - any other colours you want me to try? :-)
    I love it. Seriously. I was hoping they'd have on in yellow. How about one in chartreuse green like the new Mustangs? ;)
    Couldn't find a picture of the colour you wanted - to be honest I tried green and it looked terrible. The yellow, however, looks wonderful. :)
    Heck, even the 3 is offered in an orange color.

Hey, since we're on the subject of colors, how do y'all think this car -- in THIS color -- would do over here?

Seriously -- this is real!

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/200408/0831e.html

Can you say, "Pepto Bismazda?"

Meade
    Well, I'll take that as a compliment -- that's the color my 3 wagon is.

:shades:

Meade

Doesn't work. :-)
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Some of you may remember the Ford Maverick...released in 1969....Well, you may not remember the colors that were available then...

Hula Blue, Anti-Establish Mint, Fruedien Gilt, Thanks Vermillion, Original Cinnamon....quite agressive names for a Big Three company....
    Well, that ain't teal -- that's aqua. The teal 1992 Protege I had was quite the smart-looking car.

Meade
    Yeah, it's not as nice. You also lose the honeycomb insert in the grille.

Meade - thanks for adding life to this thread. :D

But you're right gray/white/black aren't colors at all, so you can have any color you like as long as it's blue. ;)

-juice
    I'm only happy to comply.

It's been a drab week here in Richmond -- cold (only around 60 for highs) and rainy. Today it's 80 and sunny out there, and I'm cooped up in this office looking out my office-wide window at the gorgeous weather.

And I know that my 2-month-old Velocity Red 5-speed 3 wagon is just sitting over there in the parking deck, waiting for me to start him up, roll down all four windows and Zoom.

C'mon quittin' time!!!

Meade
    Nice. If I didn't need room for 6 on occasion, I'd buy a 3 right now. They are outstanding little cars. :)

I'm pushing hard to get the Red 5 when they come out, depending on the shade of red.
    It's "Cardinal Red"!!!

(I guess that's Velocity Red with the bird poop already on it.)

:)

Meade
    Yeah, who knows what "Cardinal Red" looks like in the flesh. As long as it's a bright, vibrant red ... :P
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    Funny...Edmunds' color sample for the Mazda5 "Phantom Blue" looks almost Teal. They must agree with us that there need to be some more interesting colors ;)

Here's Edmunds' page of Mazda5 color samples:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mazda/mazda5/100533545/colors.html?tid=edmunds.n.review.le- ftsidenav..10.Mazda*
    Phantom Blue :

Cardinal Red :

Strato Blue :

I had to spend three hours at a toll plaza (I work for a transportation authority) this morning, and I watched nine Proteges and three Mazda3s go by while I was there. I took the opportunity to perform a little unscientific survey, and these are the results (I swear they are!):

6 third-generation (1999-2003) Proteges: 5 silver, 1 black
    2 second-generation (1995-1999) Proteges: One silver, one beige
    1 first-generation (1990-1994) Protege: White
    3 Mazda3 (2004-2005) sedans: 2 silver, 1 beige

Sigggghhhhhh ... :sick:

I guess people just don't get excited over car colors anymore. How drab and boring most people are!

BTW, I was quite intrigued to see not even one Mazda3 wagon on this major thoroughfare between 4:30 and 7 a.m. This boosted my ego, knowing I have a car (and a red one too) that people don't see very often! And I know it's true -- a guy walked up to my car after a meeting Friday night and asked me if it had a rotary engine, and my neighbor across the street mistook my new car for an RX-8!

Meade
This discussion has been closed.