Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Sierra Vibration Still??

jonesstjonesst Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in GMC
I am about to place an order for a 2000 Sierra 2WD
Ext Cab 5.3L 3.42/open differential rear end. Am
told that it should take 8-10 weeks to build. Has
GMC solved the past vibration problems by now with
factory fixes? If not should I wait for a while
till the engineers get it solved there, instead of
doing dealer re-fix?
I understand from past posts at this site that the
vibration is more common/likely with ext. cab.
Should I go for the 3.73 rear end, or would I be
able to tell the difference from the 3.42 with the
5.3L V8?

Comments

• billk5billk5 Member Posts: 14
    I test drove a GMC and a chey 2000 ext cab trucks this weekend and both had a shimmy at 65 mph. I am thinking about waiting to buy.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Were they 1/2's or 3/4's?

2WD or 4WD?

- Tim
  • jonesstjonesst Member Posts: 8
    I did test drive a 1/2 ext. cab 5.3L 3.42 2wd this afternoon - good drive with no vibration, growl, or shimmy up to & incl 70 mph -it was a 1999 on the lot - still waiting to order a 2000. Looks like they may be doing the fixes at the factory, but I can't be sure yet.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I can't tell you what to do, but I personally would not buy the ext cab, 2wd, 3.42 at this time, without a very thorough test drive. And it's hard to evaluate, or even notice some problems in a 20 minute demo ride in any case.

The ingredients are too worrisome for me, especially the two piece drive shaft. But other items are suspect also, including the B8 hubs, rack and pinion preload, P255 General tires.

I thank my lucky stars every day. The truck I chose, a regular cab, Z71, 4WD, 4.10 axle is probably a horrible sounding choice if all you need is a 2wd truck that loafs comfortably down Texas highways at 20 mpg. But having said that, the combination of shorter wheelbase, one piece driveshaft due to 4wd transfer case, P265 Firestone tires, 4.10 axle, and recirculating ball steering gear has been utterly smooth and vibration-less at any speed for me through 12,000 miles.

Would love to stop reading these vibration posts however, and have someone say how wonderful the rack and pinion steering is. Oh well.
  • mfreeman1mfreeman1 Member Posts: 13
    I just ordered my Sierra,ext,5.3,z71,3.73 axle and I hope I don't have any of these mystery problems that have no solutions.
  • jeffthrojeffthro Member Posts: 35
    I may have ordered the truck, but it does not mean I have to purchase it. I will test drive it for a few days before buying. Judging from all of the concerns, I might switch to buying a FoRd. I know, I like the Chevy, however my gut feeling is telling me not to buy the Chevy. I'll keep you posted. My 2000 arrives 1st week in Sept.
    you make some good points and reasons to sit back and wait out some definite resolution to this vibration question. I wonder, is anyone else getting the 2000 1/2 ext. cabs having this problem still? Have they come up with a re-design? A factory fix? I don't think I've heard many "new" horror stories lately on this site.

I have a requirement for the ext. cab. I will be ordering the truck, so there is no opportunity for a test drive before the sale. Looks like I will have no choice but the 2-pc driveline, unless I go to another nameplate other than GMC/Chevy.

Thanks for your input!
    Huh?

You should be able to drive it when it comes in before you buy it.

I drove mine about 10 miles 2 days before it was sold to me.

Good Luck

- Tim
    good - thanks for the response, Tim - I'll write that stipulation into the buyer's order for the truck - I'm working by FAX with a out-of-town dealer for a $200-below-invoice deal, so I want to make sure he understands my requirements for accepting the truck.
    No matter how you buy...if they won't let you Drive it before you give them the cake....I wouldn't sign squat!

- Tim
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Does anyone think GM reads any of this? Where else could they get so much real feedback about their products and dealers. I'm amazed the problem has gone on so long, when are they going to pull their heads out of the sand? (I think I hear Toyota laughing all the way to the bank!)
    Toyota isn't laughing. Check the Tundra topics. Some owners there are reporting their own vibration problems.

If Toyota's vibration problems were five times worse than GM's, you'd still read just as many reports about vibration in GM trucks as Toyota, since they will outsell Toyota 5:1 if both meet their sales objectives. Put another way, if Toyota's vibration was no worse, or the same as GM's, then GM will be penalized with 5 times more complaints based on sales leadership alone.
  • studebaker1studebaker1 Member Posts: 8
    I just ordered a Y2K 4.8l 2wd Ext. cab Sierra after about a 1/2 hour test drive in a '99. I noticed no vibrations or anything odd at any speed. I ran it up to 75mph. I think this vibration thing is hogwash. Maybe some of the people that were foolish enough to buy the first year product got early factory quality problems sold to them. The boys (and girls) at GM are not stupid, and I have a lot of confidence in the engineering (they spent 6 Billion). Factory startup is another matter. Usually, the factory tooling and procedures get a major improvement for the second year's production, which is why you have always heard "never buy the first year of any car".

Hope this helps.....

Steve
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    When you post could you please include the brand, model and size of tire that worked or didn't work.
    I don't have too much data so far, but noone who has had Michelin tires seems to have had a problem. Thanks.
  • lincoln5lincoln5 Member Posts: 40
    Trust us the vibration is real and not on just the first truck off the line. My dealer reported to me that they just got another one last week.
    If you read through the various topics on this board it's very clear that the vibration problem is real. I'm sure it occurs on a small percentage of total production but it's a serious problem. I'm disappointed that GM hasn't communicated more with their dealers, from the posts I read the dealers are changing parts left & right trying to solve it. I drove a early 99 1/2T and noticed the steering wheel shake at about 30mph but at that time assumed it was an alignment problem. I recently drove a 2000 3/4T and it was fine at all speeds.
    The 1/2T was ext cab short box 2wd, the 3/4T was reg cab long box 4wd with General 245 street tires.
    That would fit the m.o. of a vibration suspect. Two piece drive shaft, 3.42, coil springs, rack and pinion.

It would be interesting if anyone who fits this description can possibly not have the symtoms?
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    Well guys, I just bought 2000 Chevy Silverado LS, ext. cab. and it vibrates....towed my lawn mower and it vibrated my coffee from holder....took in at 1034 miles and after balance job, new drive shaft, computer stuff, it still vibrated. The service manager called GM who in turn said it was a "drive line" problem. Taking it back on Wednesday to do something to drive shaft (adjust angle)....My truck built 7/99 and should have B9 hubs I guess, don't know for sure.

By-the-way, when they changed out the drive shaft intially, it came off a GMC (1999 I believe). So that means that the shaft from the GMC was bad also. Manager says they're the same.....

Well anyway, guess I'll see what happens with drive shaft work.....

Anybody with good info, please post.
  • mfreemanmfreeman Member Posts: 37
    The vibration must have been the drive shaft trying to break free :) How would you feel if you were a high quality GMC drive shaft forced to operate on a chevy truck. :)

Just kidding, sorry to here you are having trouble with your new truck. Please keep us up to date on your problem. Since my truck is being built in a few weeks, I hope to hear the words, "They fixed the problem" on your next post.

Good luck,
    Mike
    Boy I'll tell you...I've heard (read) so much about this vibration problem I don't know what to think. My 2000 was built 7/99 and should have the B-9 hubs but not sure. If so, then problem is not hubs but something else. The dealer (service manager) is not sure of problem but tomor he is going to "measure angle" of drive shaft. But that means that the GMC shaft is bad also. I don't think the shaft is a problem itself but maybe the way it's mounted or placed. Maybe he is going to shim or something until it feels normal.

Anyway, I waited to buy 2000 problem because I've been reading all the vibration problems in 99s. Funny thing is, my best friend went ahead and bought 99 model and his truck is fine. He's laughing his a@# off at me now. Four days in shop, but I'm not giving up on Chevy--always loved them. Hopefully they will fix problem before it's time to trade in. Let me know if anyone has any advice or info I have missed.

John
    Steve if you're out there, I've got a good one for you on this vibration problem.

John
    Do you have a 2wd truck? And what axle ratio?

What about your friend who bought the '99? Is his 2wd, extended cab.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    Which of the different vibrations do you have?
    quad: I have a 2wd 2000 Sil. LS ext. cab. 4800 V8, not sure of axle ratio but will find out today.

Friends truck is the same but 1999.

chevy4me: vibration is very bad when towing trailer: steeling wheel, cub holder, seats, dash, everywhere. Usually occurs at all speeds when towing trailer (dash vibrates so bad I can't hardly read the clock). Vibration not as bad when not towing but still occurs at 70-75 mph, but not as bad.

Dealer on 9-1-99 adjusted "driveline angle" of drive shaft but did not do any good. Now he thinks it's the tires (Goodyear Wrangler) and will replace front 2 next week.

Personally I don't think it's the tires because, according to service manager, he tried another set on lot and the same thing happened.

Any ideas or solutions I can suggest to him?
    Forgot......my truck was built 7/99 according to sticker on inside of door. You think there's any chance I may b-8 hubs?
    Steve Crawford said he had some success by increasing preload on rack and pinion box. I wouldn't think you have B8 hubs, but would check them anyway.

So far, according to my very un-scientific methods, it still seems to me the highest probability for getting the driveline vibrations, or steering shimmy is on a 2wd, extended cab, 3.42 axle, P235 General tires. It might not be one thing, but a situation where several things conspire, or add up.
  • billk5billk5 Member Posts: 14
    I drove many new 99 and 00 chev and GMC 1/2 ext cab trucks, 9 out of 10 had the vibration problem at about 65 mph. I kept looking at the 00 until I found the ones made after 8/99 did not seem to have the problem. I bought an 00 5.3 ext with 3.42 locking, so far have not seen any vibration.
    Well boys,

My 00' 4.8l, 3.42 Ext. cab Sierra is being delivered next week. I will definitly drive it for 20 minutes or so before signing ze papers.
    I'm hoping the all goes well. Anyone have an idea of how to test for vibration on a brand new truckwith no load?
  • kingfishguskingfishgus Member Posts: 112
    The 40mph and 60 on up vibration is easy to do. Find a very smooth road. Hold truck at a constant 40 and watch for the passenger seat to begin shaking like you just dropped a quarter in a vibrating motel bed. Also just run it at 5mph increments from 55 on up. It just feels like a tire out of balance although apparently there are more dynamics going on that that. When you nit a bump vibration stops briefly. Also for wind noise in rear windows, put the fan on 3 or higher, go 65mph or more and be sure to have the recirculation turned OFF so it draws in outside air. Don't know about the launch shudder, mine doesn't have it (that I can feel although I haven't run the truck with a load or trailer on it).
  • n4lqn4lq Member Posts: 6
    After driving 5 00 Silverados and experiencing the shakes, I finally tested a used 99 with 13k miles. At 65 it shook like a leaf, rattled like a trap and had wind noise. Banging my fist on the dash produced all kinds of loose sounds. I then drove a 97 F150 with 50k miles and it was as tight as a drum with no vibrations. So I went to the Ford dealer and bought a new 00 F150 2wd ext cab 5.4L and love it. Too bad GM can't produce better quality because their trucks have nice features.
  • mike38mike38 Member Posts: 15
    99 Z/71 5.3 posi 3:73 reg. cab short box. My truck had the vibration at 60-70. Although it didnt do it on all roads, it depended on the surface of the road. The fact that it did not do it all the time told me that it was not tire or rim related - if it was it should do it all the time, Right? Anyway, I just put on my winter rim and tire combo - Goodyear RT/S LT265/75/R16 and GM steel wheels - my summer combo is RT/S whith alloys- a much lighter tire and rim combo, the the tire is only 4 ply compared to the AT/S being an 8 ply.
    Long story short - the 8 ply goodyears and steel rims result in a rock steady truck at all speeds, this is the first day with them on - so far I really think its fixed the intermittent vibration. It would seem the heavier rotating mass has cancelled or nullified the slight driveline vibration.
    Got my 00 Ext. cab SB Sierra 4.8L 3.42 truck a week ago and have put 350 miles on it so far. I have had no vibration problems. I also want to report that I have not found any defects anywhere on the truck.

I did a lot of reading before I bought my truck and you would be suprised to know of the problems other manufacturers are having with their trucks. There is a mysterious wheel vibration on some of the Tundra trucks when accellerating. My neighbor is trading in his 98 F150 because of massive reliability problems with the transfer case, and the suspension. I think these things just happen to a percentage of vehicles.

It probably comes down to a crap shoot. You either get one that works or you don't. If you don't, you have to get it fixed. Then it's on to the next thing.

Steve
    I have a 2000 Sierra Extended Cab with a 3.42 rear
    end and 4.8L engine. After sending it to the
    dealer service center 4 times for vibration et.al.,
    I began to investigate the highway speed
    vibration. My opinion is that the truck frame is
    flexing to a point where it is causing the bed of
    the truck to move up and down causing
    reverberations from the bed to the front cab. I
    noticed this by viewing the bed of the truck in the
    rear view mirror while driving at a constant
    highway speed of 70mph on an open highway. Adding
    weight IN THE CAB (~500-600 lbs.) seems to make a
    big difference as the bed does not appear to bounce
    up and down, almost like it stops the frame from
    flexing therefore reducing vibrations. All of us
    with this problem should verify and report results.
    I am not an engineer but do know about chassis
    bending moments on tube steel. I will be taking my
    truck to a chassis shop next week and they will run
    truck on a drum driving device to simulate driving
    conditions at various speeds. Only costs $42 so I
    feel it is well worth it.

Jeff
    I think you will benefit from putting on Z71 shocks. If you can see it in the mirror, it's your suspension.
    Smooth road or not, with load in the bed of the truck, no improvement....still vibrations. With load in cab, much less vibrations. Only one person in cab (driver)...vibrations.

Jeff
    Sounds then, like its coming from the front end, or would be less if there was more weight on the front end. If it is, you should be able to feel some through the steering wheel. Sometimes changing the toe, deviating in the direction of more, or less, from the factory spec, can offset vibrations caused by a particular tread pattern, or preload the steering linkage, rods, pitman arm etc.

In the back, there is no camber, caster, toe etc. In the front, linkages everywhere.
    Yes, I do have a bad steering wheel shimmy at 60 to 70mph. It almost feels as if it is transmitted from the back of the truck to the front. Then again, it may be 2 distinct concerns: Vibration at rear and steering wheel shimmy.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    If it felt to me like both ends were fighting each other, and I could rule out wheel balance as the cause, I might get on my back with a crescent wrench, and adjust both tie rods, counting the turns so I could set it back to stock, if unsuccessful.

Said this before, but the test road has to be perfectly smooth. Sometimes we get used to a road, and for us it becomes our benchmark, whether deserved or not. A little undulation can cause hobby-horsing, or pogoing action of the suspension.

Then again, I said all that because I made a connection to what you said, that it feels like its transmitted from the back to the front. You may be right, could be 2 distinct concerns....but much vibration at the rear seems a stretch unless it is wheel balance related.
  • croctcroct Member Posts: 26
    Is it only the people with steel/chrome wheels
    who are having the most problems with vibrations ?
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    My 2K GMC Sierra SLE came with the aluminum wheels and Goodyear tires. It had no vibration initially, but developed the steering wheel shakes at about 300 miles. I then put a new set of wheels and tires on (Chevy factory aluminum wheels and BFG Long Trail TA's, 245-75R16) and it did not change anything at all. I am convinced it is in the steering somewhere. I'm going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow and see what they do. I already talked to the service manager and he said he hasn't heard of this problem before. Yeah, right. Will post my results.
    2wd truck?
    Yes, 2wd, reg cab, standard suspension, 3.42 locking diff. Dealer says he can't get me in until Friday (Dec. 24) for service. So I'll have to wait till then for post update.
    Well, guess what. Dealer said wheels out of balance, and re-balanced them. Said "We drove it and the problem is fixed." 5 miles into drive home and the vibration re-appeared. Seems no different at all. I wonder if warm-up time has an effect. Dealer was very accomodating (filled the truck with gas and washed it for me), and even did the service on Christmas Eve. I really think he thought he fixed it. Unfortunately, he's wrong. And he's going to get it back, too. I'll keep updating here. Later.
    It's the rack and pinion steering box. Steve Crawford (SCRAW) was adjusting it for his customers, before GM stopped him. He says you can adjust the preload, but don't go too tight.

I believe the real problem is rack and pinion, while improving steering feel and feedback, is too sensitive, and has insufficient damping.

My 4wd doesn't have the vibration or R&P steering box. But if it did, the solution I'd look for is to install a steering dampener. Good luck!
    I thought about this myself, after watching "Trucks" on TV this last weekend. They installed a steering dampner on a Jeep, and I thought "Hmm, I wonder if that would help my GMC?" Seems logical that the dampner would serve the same purpose for the steering as a shock serves for the suspension spring. Any idea where I might look for something like this? Thanks.
    No I don't know where to look. JC Whitney? NAPA? Camping World? A 4x4 parts/accessories shop? I know Bilstein makes them, but I do not know for what applications??
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen". It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.