Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC

Comments

• axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    Does anyone know how many tCs are to built in '05 and how many of each color, transmission, and air bags? I see more of some colors and less of others.. Just curious.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    min32, you mean a 2006? If so we don't have any pricing info on them yet. I don't think they will increase the price by much, maybe $50-100 dollars as they just had a $50 dollar increase in February. Check with your favorite dealer and tell them what you want. They will then submit their preference to Scion and hopefully get one allocated to them in the specs you desire.
    : )
    Mackabee
    Every month we get a printout of every Toyota and Scion vehicles slated for production in our region. This printout shows what percentage of what color and options are going to be ordered by our distributor for this particular month. For example the March build for my region was 429 with automatic transmission 660 with manual transmission. looks like Flint Mica and Silver streak are the most popular colors with 71 automatics and 34 manual transmission being built. Some base no options, and some with the side bags option. There will be 95 auto and 53 manuals in the SE (special edition) Absolutely red, again some base and some with the side bags. Flint mica will account for 16%, Silver streak for 13%, Absolutely red 22%, and the rest of the colors will add up to 100%. 11% Super white, 12% Black sand peral, 7% Black cherry, 12% Indigo ink, and 7% Azure pearl. The reason you may see more of one color in your area than other colors is that some dealers prefer to order light colors versus dark colors, others order a good mix, and others just figure that whatever Scion sends them is fine.
    Mackabee
  • min32min32 Member Posts: 5
    Haha Mackabee, truly awesome information. I meant the Absolutely Red. How much do you think it will be? What will it come with other than the base tC?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    is the Absolutely Red being added as a standard color for the tC? Or does it only come with the new RS 1.0 tC?

Good news if it is, the Absolutely Red on the Scion xA RS 1.0 looked great! Can't wait to see a tC with it!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

That's all the information I have so far. As soon as I get the SE package content and price I'll post it here.
    Mackabee
  • tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    mikey00 - No I'm not Tonychrys, but if the writing style is similar I think he is someone I could get along with. I do have an RX300 but have not visited that site. Mine is a 99 with 118,00o miles and still runs as new with only routine maintenance required. Hope my tC is as reliable.
    Scion has posted the details w/pics on the RS 1.0 on their website. But, no prices yet.
    I'm headin' over there directly. I'm not at all excited about this new Scion RS 1.0 tC in Absolutely Red or anything!

• tckittytckitty Member Posts: 15
    I sold my Honda Civic and bought my tC and I LOVE it. Thanks for those of you who advised me that selling the Civic wouldn't be that hard. I only had to show it to two people and the 2nd one bought it for $1900 more than the dealer's trade-in offer.

I LOVE MY NEW CAR. It is an Azure Pearl automatic with the rear lip spoiler and side airbags. It's so cute and I love the luxury of power everything. the stereo is great, the controls are all sleek and easy to use, the suspension is nice and sporty, but not overly tight...I don't have any complaints yet.

I'm enjoying the process of discovering little things. For example: I didn't know that when I turn off the car and take out the key I can still roll the windows up and down until I open and close the door. Very handy for someone who is not used to power anything!

I like the little hidden compartment between the driver and passenger seats in front- it's not THAT hidden, but it's cute and I didn't have that in my old car. People are consistently surprised to hear all the features I got for my money. I can't believe I have CRUISE CONTROL! I also find it amusing that I have a cigarette lighter. I won't use it for anything, but maybe if I'm camping someday it'll come in handy.

OK, thanks for listening to me ramble. :)
    The price for the SE package is $1795.00. The Blue Mica is actually for the xA and not the tC as I posted before. The memo I got from TMS/Scion read as if both colors were coming for the tC special release series. I saw the website today and don't care much for the enkei 18 wheels, otherwise the car looks good in the red. What do you guys and gals think?

Mackabee
    they are that steel grey color and that makes them look too much like plastic wheel covers IMO. Bring a shiny mag-wheel like look to the RS 1.0 tC in Absolutely Red and it will look better. Otherwise the car looks great.

BTW-the Enkei's on the xA RS 1.0 looked just right to me. They were mag-wheel shiny, like they should look. Transformed a plain xA into a little bombshell.

It just reinforces my happiness with my current tC. $1795 for the options that it comes with isn't anything I'm interested in. I'm surprised that they added the 18" tires in lieue of a supercharger or some other differentiator. That would have been a Cobalt killer. (Being in the northeast, I would have appreciated heated mirrors...)

Btw, how is everyone's color holding up? My Azure Pearl stays looking clean and hides the dirt well. But, it sure does scratch easy. I have lots of scratch lines from parking lots. My father says: "They sure don't bake on 20 coats anymore...". ;)
  • dachiefdachief Member Posts: 3
    Last month I put in an order... indigo, side air, fog lights. I put down my credit card as soon as I returned from the test drive.

It arrived here two days ago... today I went in and signed the paperwork. They were detailing it, but had yet to install any of the options (even the stock stereo!)... it was hard to decide whether to drive it away or leave it there so it would be "done" when I drove it off the lot, but there it will stay another day.

I love it already - for many of the reasons that others here have said and said better. But I'll have to plug the amount of space in the car - it looks small on the outside, but inside it is almost cavernous.

One thing... the financing guy tried to sell me on the various warranty/service packages that they hawk on everyone. The only one that seemed like a *decent* deal was the 4 year service contract - covering oil changes and the 15/30/45K services. I'm skeptical about how much I'd really save - and I'd have to go to the dealer, instead of my trusted mechanic. But I'd also get a rental in the bargain.

They wanted over $900 for this. To me it seems pricey, and of course they are making a pretty penny on this or they wouldn't be selling it. Does anyone have a good reason why I would buy it?

The extended warranty they were selling was laughable - guy claimed it would cover everything, of course, and I knew better than that. Plus they wanted almost $1400! Nuts.

Also, out of curiousity, what are people paying for insurance? My six month rates will be going up by about $100-$130, depending on the carrier.

(Finally, if anyone here sees a blue tC in Seattle, be sure to beep and wave!)
  • tckittytckitty Member Posts: 15
    This is funny: My insurance went down when I sold my 2000 Honda Civic and bought the 2005 tC! Lucky, huh?
  • tccowboy07702tccowboy07702 Member Posts: 12
    hey guys...im new here...just bought a black tC..dont have much money to spend on anything aftermarket but i got the interior light kit, classic leather shifter and floormats...had to go with the auto trans..rents thought id kill myself talkin on the phone with radio on and shiftin gears n all..and theyre helpin pay for it so i guess thats their call...main point is..im lookin for some cheap but cool upgrades and i was thinkin about paintin the brake calipers but im not too experienced with upgradin cars myself..if any1's got any suggestions, lemme know, thanks.

tCcowboy

ps~thanks for the posts mackabee..those helped a lot
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    How about a hands free car kit if you insist on talking while driving?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

good idea..but i really dont talk that much..they just freak out if i call them when im drivin and tell me to pull over to talk..im lookin for somethin audio related prolly and cheap performance upgrades

tCcowboy
    I'm with stickguy on this one. Talking on the phone and driving is just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated (drunk) according to the New England Journal of Medicine. Get a hands free kit and spare your life or someone else's. My 19 year old had an accident last year while reaching for the cell phone,luckily he wasn't hurt or anyone else. Did about $400.00 worth of front suspension damage as he ran into the curb.
    Mackabee
  • thewperrythewperry Member Posts: 2
    I just called to check on insuranace and for the tC it would be $180/month. That is cheaper then my '02 Civic which is $216/month. Yes my rates are very high, mostly because I live in the uninsured capital of the world, Phoenix.
    Is that what most of you guys are payin for the insurance on it? I'm still drivin my old suburban (that things a beast, thank god the tc's got good gas mileage) right now, tryin to figure out what i wanna do and how much i need to spend as far as insurance goes

tCcowboy

by the way...any1 know how much lowering springs are and if u got them at all..are they worth it?
    How old are you?
    Mackabee
  • bobotheclownbobotheclown Member Posts: 53
    You can get the TRD lowering springs, struts, shocks and sway bar at sites like mcgeorgeparts.com or partznet.com. There a few places that sell them. You can also purchse those items at dealers, but expect higher prices and installation fees.

There are also after market springs made by Tein and goldline. Just look around and try to find something within your budget.

Most people lower their cars to improve handling and looks. If you think the positives outweigh the negatives, then lower your car.
  • bobotheclownbobotheclown Member Posts: 53
    I really like the new front grill. The colors really work together. Too bad I'm not a big fan of red cars. Hopefully scion will have another RS colored tc when I go looking in August.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    As a true lover of any sporty car by Toyota (MR2, Celica All-Trac, Supra!), I will be selling the old Civic DX to git on.

The Dark Cherry looks great in the showroom, but maybe not so on the street. Maybe too fem?

The Silver always works. Or maybe all Black?

I live in a very warm climate, so maybe not.

Does that Exhaust system add HP? Or just noise? Reduce Backpressure?

Very suave inside. Going from a base Civic to this is like shopping at Lexus!

Just wonder 'bout the exhaust. Looks cool, but would drive me over $19k.

DrFill
    would be great, drfill. Did you know Scion's selling a new Release Series 1.0 tC now in bright red? Special wheels and spoiler and the number of the car is uphosterd in somewhere inside for show. They only are building 1,550 of these RS 1.0's. Scion did the same thing with the xA and in Absolutely Red the xA looked awesome with that great tire and wheel package. MSRP on the RS 1.0 xA was around $15,200 plus T&L. Soon Scion will release a RS 2.0 xA in a blue color. Can't wait to see that one. The tC looks so much more sleek, though!

• butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    I recently test drove one and will wait till summer to do so again. The azure pearl is gorgeous but other threads say there are paint chiping problems. The car had a severe pull to the right and it also had a hesatation problem when down gearing from 5th to 4th. Make sure you check out other threads and see what issues are common. No car is perfect. It had good power when it did respond but I didn't get to drive but for a few miles. I will take my thermometer with me for the drive this summer when it gets 90* or more so I can see just how well the a/c hold up in high heat.
  • ndsax707ndsax707 Member Posts: 30
    I saw a pretty nice looking tC this morning. It was a flint mica car with the TRD exhaust and had the pedestal spoiler instead of the weak lip spoiler and looked damn sharp. It's amazing how well that little spoiler just finishes the car off and gives it a touch sportier look. The TRD exhaust sounded nice and burbly, especially compared to the wheezy sounding Celica behind it. Think SRT-4 type sound.

If the tC wasn't so damn soft in the performance department I'd probably be considering it right now. The supercharger will help, but unless they improve the handling and keep the price reasonable as well, my money will be going toward a Cobalt SS or WRX.
    The WRX is approx., $8k more, at $25k! The SS around $22k, compar. equipped.

Considering the $18k price, I think the tC is a TRENDOUS value, EVEN over those two.

The tC has a bigger back seat than the Subi (i checked, I'm 6' 4"). And a turbocharger won't totally fix the Chevy's abysmal resale.

Unless you're autocrossin', the tC makes real world sense!

Saving $4k, you shouldn't be so hard on the Scion, that's a lot of coin!

DrFill
    DrFill, you're not exactly right. Apples and oranges, um no. First of all, I'm interested in performance - power and handling. I'm not some 16 year old punk looking for stoplight drag races, I'm in my 20s and like to find a winding road or a freeway cloverleaf and push it. Resale is not important to me. That being said, you're way off on most of the pricing.

I can get a basic WRX for $21,300. Add the premium pkg, Bosal exhaust, turbo gauge and short throw shifter and it's still under $25,000. 227 hp and AWD, superb handling and power.

The SS is what, $21,500 base MSRP? Add the $1500 option for LSD and Recaros, $400 for side airbags, and another $800 for the sunroof and I'm looking at a touch over $24,000. I'd never pay MSRP for that car, even if the dealers are pushing for it now. I can also get an extra $1000 off with my GMcard earnings. So the SS would be about $22,000 (you were unintentionally right here) +/- $500. 205 hp and FWD, good power and handing.

Then there's the Scion. If you're deciding between the tC and Civic, by all means get the damn tC. But if you want performance, it ain't happening. Base tC - $16,500. Add on fog lights, pedestal spoiler, (which both cars above have standard), TRD exhaust, and side airbags and you're looking at $18,500. Slap on the supercharger (rumored to be a $4,000 option), which I already mentioned above would be needed to reasonably compare this car with the others, and you're looking at $22,500. Around 205 hp and FWD, with good power and average handling. This could end up being the most expensive car and have the worst performance. Unless they throw in a suspension upgrade with the supercharger, that's not a good value. The tC is great if you're looking for a slightly upscale economy car with a little more go than the Civic/Corolla, and you don't start adding on options. I've driven two, one AT and one MT. They're nice cars and I like them, shoot I was almost ready to buy one, but when it comes to performance the tC doesn't have it.
    Comparing a $18k car to a $22k car is pointless.

That's almost 20%.

The Scion tC is the best combo of style, features, quality, and power for LESS than $20k.

I like the WRX for $21k, but it NEEDS that prem. pkg., so it's not really $21k.

DrFill
  • dachmodachmo Member Posts: 1
    Hahaha....

I live in New Jersey, and those rates are LOW!

My first quote was over $300/month

You're luckier than you know...lol ;)

- Dante
  • tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    Here is the post I just wrote on the Mazda 3 vs. tC board in response to the statement in quotes. It seems relavent here as well.

(It does a great job balancing sport/economy/luxury/affordability/resale value.) Couldn't agree with you more! THAT'S WHAT THIS CAR IS ALL ABOUT!!. Some people out there seem to think it is intended to compete with Porche, Vettes and SUV's.

If you want cargo and passenger room - buy an SUV

If you want a a pure-bred sports car - buy a Porche

If you want a compact coupe that strikes the remarkable balance that you described, at a price thousands less than it's closest legitimate comparable competetors (without giving up anything of any significance) - BUY A tC!

If your into handling, but a MINI S for $5k+ more, but don't complain about the wagon-like ride or quirkiness! If you want 4 doors, quit looking at coupes! If you want 300 HP, etc., etc.

I not only do not find the tC "buzzy", unless standing on the pedal, I rarely even notice the engine running.

Were compromises made to attain the "balance"? Yes indeed, but as an overall package, all things considered, there is nothing out there to compare to the tC at $17,265 (auto). Is it perfect? No more or less than anything else out there. That being said, for what it is intended to be, it comes pretty darn close. Critics just need to keep things in perspective as to what the car is intended to be and stop trying to compare it to things that are not relavent.

Sounds like you are in the market for a out-and-out pocket rocket - if you do not care about the great value, standard equip, compliant ride when not 'racing' in the neighborhood, reliability, quality and resale - then you are exactly right, the tC is not for you. But, if you want a car that did a pretty good job of balancing a lot of good attributes without cheaping-out on anything and at a remarkably good price, you may want to give the tC another try.

Appreciate the tC for what it is and intended to be. Owners who think they have a Vette are fooling themselves, but non-owners who insist on critisizing the tC for not being something it wasn't meant to be in the first place aren't being realistic either.
    From above -

(It does a great job balancing sport/economy/luxury/affordability/resale value.) Couldn't agree with you more! THAT'S WHAT THIS CAR IS ALL ABOUT!!. Some people out there seem to think it is intended to compete with Porche, Vettes and SUV's.

I agree with this 100%. The tC does what it's supposed to do, and does it well.

That's the problem for me - I like the tC a lot, but as I stated above performance is going to determine which car I buy. Even with the supercharger the tC probably won't cut it and that's disappointing to me, because it has the potential to be the hands-down winner. I never indicated that I didn't like the tC or that it was a bad car, I just wish it had a higher level of performance, because that's the only thing keeping me from buying it.

One small gripe with your point about realistic comparisons - as soon as Scion offers a TRD supercharger as a factory-installed option, any comparisons with the WRX, SS, RSX, etc become valid and should be expected.
    Fill, what are you talking about? Can you not read? tC w/ SC and limited options
    > $22,000. WRX w/o Premium pkg (which is definitely not NEEDed) < $22,000. Hey
    look, I'm comparing two $22,000 cars. Amazing. Your point is that a naturally
    aspirated tC can't be compared to a WRX. When was that ever in question? Your
    post was pointless.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    That car is SPARTAN i.e. cheap on the inside. Even with that package, the interior still doesn't compare to the Tc. All the developement money went to the WRX's drivetrain.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A magazine reporter is hoping to speak with a young Scion buyer who wouldn't be caught dead driving a Corolla or a Camry because they consider that a mom or dad-mobile. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number and a few words about your choice no later than Tuesday, April 12, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

G35 - what does the premium package have to do with the WRX's interior? The premium package consists of heated seats/mirrors, wiper de-icer, moonroof, and rear spoiler. The extra features are nice, but certainly not necessary to enjoy the car. Don't kid yourself - the tC interior is good for the price, but hardly a benchmark of quality and luxury.
  • zanderzeezanderzee Member Posts: 1
    About the scratches...love the tC, but it sure does scratch easily. I've only had mine a month & it is awesome..except the scratches. So, you're not the only one.
    is 42 still considered young?

• osu1298gradosu1298grad Member Posts: 22
    Greetings from Columbus, OH!

First off, thank you to all that have provided meaningful information about this vehicle. I am seriously considering the tC as my next purchase, I like what I see/hear about this car. I have yet to test drive, but coming from a '97 Civic DX, I can't imagine I will be disappointed. I'm sure Toyota would like to "steal me back" from Honda. :P

My question is in regards to the side airbag option. It's my impression that if I choose this option, an order needs to be placed at the factory and the wait time is approximately 6-8 weeks. Does this seem legitimate? The reason I ask is because if I purchase a tC, I would like to have it no later than mid-June. I know I need to talk to the dealership, but before I do that, I was curious to know if anyone has any thoughts regarding this. As a side note, I want the 2005 model... if I were to place an order within the next few weeks, would I still be able to get one? I am concerned because of the unknown roll-out date for the 2006's.

My next question has to do with SAB and insurance. Common sense tells me having this option would reduce insurance premiums, but I do not have any facts verifying this. Has anyone experienced this and if so, what kind of savings are you looking at?

All responses are greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The WRX is an engine and brakes and a place to sit. The interior has no frills at all. At least the premium package adds a few buttons. The Tc interior may not be a Lexus but the WRX is about as spartan looking as the strippest of stripped cars.
    All tC's are ordered once a month by the distributors for their dealers. There is a percentage with sab's ordered so you have to find a dealer that has one on their incoming allocation or can trade for one if the one they have incoming is the collir you want. The April order is still 2005 but I belive the May order will be for the 2006 for arrival in June.
    :)
    Mackabee
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/680265

found this guys page on cardomain...anyone know anything about painting your rims? also..brake calipers (red)?
    Great, thanks for the info Mackabee! :)

Looks like I'll be heading into a dealership ASAP. I'm still trying to figure out if I really need the SAB option, it seems a little pricey... then again, you can't put a price on someone's life.

BTW... any "known" changes for the 2006 yet??
    osu1298grad, the only "known changes" I know about to date are new wheel cover designs for the xA and xB's, new colors for tC and upgraded stereos for all three. No change in body styles since the cars are so new.
    :)
    Mackabee
    New colors?? Hmmm... I wonder if the 2006's would be worth the wait. Decisions, decisions...

I am surprised to hear they are upgrading the stereos. When I was at the auto show recently, I was very pleased with the stock offering... I can't imagine much upgrading would be needed, at least on the xB and tC.

Thank you Mackabee for all your insight! :)
    does the tC RS 1.0 cost more than a regular tC? Pretty sure it will.

Also, what new colors are coming in 2006 for the tC? Will they bring over Absolutely Red on regular tC's for sale here in America? :P :P :P :P

• johnnyringojohnnyringo Member Posts: 31
    I bought a manual tranny tC two weeks ago and I love it. I traded in my dodge ram extended cab pick up for it becauseit got 14-15 mpg and I drive approx 60 miles to work and back and I need the economy gas milage. I live in WI and work in MN so the gas here isn't cheap... I have averaged between 27 and 28 mpg. for the first 1k miles. That is just normal driving too, no slow wussy driving. I am impressed with the tight handeling and low end torque comming out of corners... I realize it's no vette but it is suprisingly sporty. One thing that I like but not sure how good it is for the longevity of the vehicle is the high rpms. At 70 - 80 mph the tac reads around 3500+ rpm in 5th gear. at 60-70 mph tac is 3000+. Does anyone know if this is healthy for the engine?... at first glance it would seem this car could really binefit from a 6th gear. I am also interested in finding out if there is some kind of turbo or super charger that I can get for the tC... you know something that I can just bolt on with out custom modifications.
    after a Ram PU, anything is going to seem sporty!

Yes, the revs are higher than (IMO) they need to be, but if you maintain it, the engine is still going to last a long time. A nice tall OD 6th gear would be very nice, and help MPG too.

Toyota offers (or will, not sure if it is out yet) a factory supercharger kit. I think it is supposed to go for about $3K (or maybe 2K?). It will be a bolt on, and won't even void the warranty! Just don't expect it to help with your mileage.

This discussion has been closed.