Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Scion tC

Comments

• Options
    tccowboy07702tccowboy07702 Member Posts: 12
    carguy, how much did they charge you for that? was it a dealership or a customs shop? also, which windows should i get tinted?

tccowboy
  • Options
    carguy79carguy79 Member Posts: 23
    I had mine done at a custom shop that I work for one of the owner's other businesses. The cost to do it around here is under $200 for a lifetime warranty film. There is a slight distortion while looking out the rearview mirror with headlights in the dark, but it is no worse than any other car that I have had with tinted windows. I noticed before I tinted my windows a slight distortion that is real noticible while looking out the lower part of the glass. I have not noticed any inconveniences from the film being installed, except having to have the gaskets popped back up in the door since they were so tight.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    sephia, are you EVER going to buy a tC?
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I have now changed my mind and I'm thinking about getting a xA RS 2.0! I've decided that I want four doors and great gas mileage. I love the way the little hatchwagon looks in Blue Mica Streak and how it looks with those crystallized foglights against the blue. I'll have to see how she drives and go from there...might be too small for me. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    I drove the Tc, auto last night. It felt quick even with two adults and the A/C running. I turned off the A/C and it made the coupe even faster, very nice. I'm lazy at my age and think the auto is perfect. However, either the tire brand or the low tire profile caused noticeable road noise. It also had a intermittent rattle, annoying at best. The dealer had numerous Tc's with different options ready for customer pickup. Here's my take. The rear spoiler lip is nicer than the old school pedestal. The body kit adds a touch of elegance to the outside and it looks good with or without the spoiler lip. Two questions: 1. How do the options impact the resale value of the Tc. If I buy the body kit will it add any value to the auto? If you buy a body kit at the local auto parts place you get nothing in resale value. 2. Is it possible to get a quieter low profile tire? :)
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Your question has been moved to the discussion Scion tC: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.
  • Options
    Test drove a second tC at a different dealer. It had a quieter ride. The only thing I can attribute it to is tire inflation. The first tC might have a little higher tire pressure resulting in a harder ride and road noise. That wouldn't be the first time that has happened to me at that particular dealer either. My Tacoma had a terrible ride until I checked my tire pressure and noticed that the dealer had it three pounds over the recommended pressure. That dealer is the same one were I test drove the first Scion. Anyway, I'm convinced that the tC is one of the better everyday coupes on the market. :shades:
  • Options
    juandehavasujuandehavasu Member Posts: 16
    Still wondering about the intro date for 2006 Scions, especially the tc? Does anyone know when the '06 tc will be out...or for that matter...in what month does Scion intro the next model year?
  • Options
    ivtecivtec Member Posts: 7
    From an earlier post of mine...

FYI -This is a response I got from the folks at Scion when I asked about the s/c and the '06 models/colors. "Thank you for contacting Scion. The TRD supercharger option for the Scion tC should be available by
    before the end of 2005. At this time there is no information available about the 06 models. They should be release in June/July for the tCs."
  • Options
    I just left the dealer. One of the sales associates commented on two rumors. One is a radio control on the steering wheel. The other is a possible sun roof change. He didn't seem convinced that changes would happen during the reset of this calender year. :D
  • Options
    I rented the new Mustang V6 today and took it on a 2.5 hour trip. Heres what I noticed. The car feels solid and doesn't suffer from body flex. It handles like a entry level sport car. The seats look top notch and are very comfortable. The inside is retro in appearance and livable. During my trip the engine felt like a 3.? liter. Not until I got on my computer and did some research did I find out it's a 4.0 liter. The vehicle does not suffer from wind noise. Now for the bad points.

The drivetrain is not refined, its not in the same league as the Japanese brands. The back seat suffers from lack of leg room, unlike the tC which has lots of leg room. The stang also lets in lots of road noise. I was very surprised to find so much road noise in an American brand. The light colored interior is easy to dirty.

Overall it was a positive experience. Things I would like improved. The drive train (smoothness). They need to fix the fan issue. You can't turn off the ventilation fan. It will only go to the lowest setting. Ford also needs to address the road noise and color of the light colored interior. Fix these issues and the Mustang will be a very good coupe. Also, stop selling it to the rental companies. It cheapens the vehicle.

So far the tC has nothing to fear from the V6 Mustang. They are two very different vehicles, for very different customers.
  • Options
    I had to retest the RSX after driving the new V6 Mustang and seeing a problem on the tC. It was a hazy overcast morning, with temps expected into the mid 90's (Tucson, AZ). So, I decided to visit the dealer. I went and sat in a tC. When I closed the door it started to come apart. What! Yes my friends, it seems that on this one tC when you pull on the door handle it causes some flexing of the handle. The flexing made the roundish looking, plastic piece on the handle come off. Very alarming and disappointing. This started to make the Mustang look like a good buy. Anyway, I went to the Acura dealer and got a spin on a 2005 RSX none type S. First, I pulled on the door handle. One word, solid. We then went on a test drive. The engine loves to make its way into the 4500-5000 RPM range and I enjoyed seeing how painlessly the engine achieve it. Almost zero wind noise but lots, lots of road noise. I don't know if different tires would fix that. Also, the 17" are not standard. The stereo, if you could upgrade it, would only get a 6" sub enclosure and its not MP3 friendly. Yes, you can replace the stereo but in this price range and in 2005? Basically, it turned me off.

I decided to go back to the Scion dealer for a longer drive on a different tC, not the one with the door issue. Unfortunately, the sales rep got the keys to the defective tC. Oh well, we got on a road similar to the one used for the RSX test drive. It had a very quit ride and on one 45 MPH stretch of road I got to 60 MPH. I noticed my speed after looking in my rear view mirror and seeing the other traffic way in the distance. I commented to the sales guy, "Oh s..t, I'm doing 60 MPH. We said, "What! It feels like we're doing 30 MPH". Needless to say, we were both surprised. In short, the tC retest removed the doubt I was having. Even though I test drove a tC with a known hardware issue the car felt solid. My tC deliver date is in early June. Once I purchase it I'll keep my eye out for that door handle flex issue. :surprise:
  • Options
    osu1298gradosu1298grad Member Posts: 22
    Congrats on your decision goose! :)

I too ordered a tC, exactly three weeks ago... the wait time was 3-5 weeks then, we shall see. Thanks for the forewarning on a possible door handle defect, I will keep an eye out for that.

BTW... what color did you opt for?
  • Options
    Its silver with side air bags. :shades:
  • Options
    jasonj734jasonj734 Member Posts: 35
    NHTSA said on its Web site it was opening an investigation into the Scion tC coupe. The agency has received reports the coupe's moonroof wind deflector can shatter at highway speeds. I would say if anyone has this happen to go fill out the survey and let them know.NHTSA Web site vehicle complaint form
  • Options
    tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    I had this happen to me and did report it to NHTSA. My dealer replaced it under warrenty without blinking and eye, which impressed me. Not fun getting pelted with broken glass at 70 MPH!

The deflector really does need to be addressed. It should be an unbreakable material rather than glass. Have not heard anything from Scion yet. Will write them again. Even if it hasn't happened to you - yet - tC owners should begin a campaign to have this fixed, because it will get you sooner or later.

I hold my breath now every time I have that open and I am trying to avoid opening it on the expressway - shouldn't have to do that! Fortunately (or unfortunately) it hasn't been much of an issue yet as the weather here in Michigan has not been condusive to open-top cruising - typical crappy Michigan weather!

Hope this leads to a fix.
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    What will happen to the 2005's left when the 2006 arrives (or is in transit)?

Scion doesn't dicount or offer any incentives, that I've heard of.

What will happen in October to unloved Scions? Buying a 2005 so late in the year, without incentives is not fiscally responsible.

DrFill
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    Not true that dealers (that set the actual price) van't discount. They can sell for any price they want, they just have to post it up front, and give anyone that walks in the same deal.

Toyota can also support the leftovers, maybe a free option, or cheap financing or lease deals?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    To answer your question Doc, Scion and Toyota don't really have to worry about left over vehicles. Most are gone by the time the new model year vehicles begin to arrive. That's the beauty of the Toyota Production System and the Just in Time system. Toyota and Scion take care of their customers which also includes dealers.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    My tC is rather thirsty for a small rig. My overall mpg for 6000 miles of usually gentle driving is 24.9. My Sienna does as well if not better. I take all these posts of 30 on the road as wishful thinking and not filling the tank completely. :P
  • Options
    genee, have you checked your right foot for lead lately?
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Mackabee, my family all says that if we want to get somewhere ... let Mom drive. I will admit that 90% of my driving has been in town but all freeway driving is done between 65 and 75. ;) The little guy has never been on a road trip of more than 60 miles each way. I just was curious and added up all the gas put into him and found my overall average a bit short of expectations. ... I guess I should have opted for the Corolla :shades:
  • Options
    I'm at about 6K too now. Since spring hit, I have been getting about 24-25 per tank. I do all around town (probably never get more than 10 miles from the house), witha fair amount of stop/go on my 3 mile commute. Rest is suburban driving, with shor thighway bursts (usually about 5 miles at a time).

On my few highway trips, I have gotten about 30-32, running +/-70.

Yes, the tC doesn't get quite the mileage it could (or should). Blame the gearing, and the curb weight.

Still, 25 overall local driving isn't bad, considering the performance it offers. If you want better, trade it in on a Putt Putt Corolla CE, and maybe you will get 30-32 overall instead.

Just do the math to see if the $5-10/month you save will be worth the trade off!

• Options
    Hey, stickguy! My kids had fits when I told them I was thinking about a Corolla. They gave me this song-and-dance about having to keep up my image. I told them that at 65 I wasn't too worried about image. But, the tC does turn a lot more heads than the Corolla. Especially since I detail the Black Cherry guy a couple of times a month. (It IS nice to have nothing but time...) :blush:
  • Options
    94gp94gp Member Posts: 2
    Details about the 2006 tCs were released by Toyota yesterday: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-25-2005/00036895- 67&EDATE=

Numerous audio upgrades/improvements are mentioned, and the cars are supposed to begin arriving in dealers next week (according to the Car Connection). Wow!
  • Options
    oozazoozaz Member Posts: 6
    I was disappointed to find out from Scion that they have nothing planned to accomodate 2005 tC owners with the iPod compatibility that the 2006 will have.. I thought the tC was meant to be modified, and Scion was looking for that added business? I don't see why they wouldn't be looking into providing owners with the availability of this mod..
    I'm still bummed that they were unable to install my auto dimming mirror in combination with my side curtain airbags..
  • Options
    juandehavasujuandehavasu Member Posts: 16
    Thanks 94gp...I was told of the June delivery date but your post gives all the details. My '02 RSX goes away the end of next month...thank God...and the '06 tc will be its replacement. I am glad I waited a month as I was about ready to commit on a White ( I'm in AZ) '05 but the changes are definitely worth the extra money...plus less depreciation. I am new to Toyota products after 200 or so automobiles in my lifetime. Just purchased an '05 Tacoma Double Cab that is the best truck I've ever owned...traded a '03 Honda Pilot. No more Honda products!!!
    The tc is a great value and a great driver...plus I want to screw up Toyota's age demographics for the Scion brand.
  • Options
    65!!! Well there goes our demographics! :) I knew this car would appeal to all age groups. I'm waiting to see what changes are coming up for 2006 before I get mine. All I know so far is upgraded stereos, a couple of new colors, and maybe. Don't tell anyone yet since it's still in the 'planning stages" a Luxury Edition tC!! I filled out a questionaire for our dealership regarding future plans for Scion and the one on the tC asked if there was a luxury edition would customers prefer leather or suede such as on the Lexus IS300. I chose the suede material as it would probably keep cost down. I told them to keep the car affordable as it is now and not to make the mistake(s) they made with the Celica and Tercel. Those two started reasonably priced and by the end of their existence were way overpriced for what you got, (IMHO)./
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I have 11.5k miles on my tC, check nearly every tank full and consistantly get 28.5 MPG. The lowest I ever recorded (once) was 28, the best 33.5. There is a good deal of in-town highway (not expressway) driving at 55 - 70 MPH but also a very healthy dose of normal suburban traffic. I do not make any extra effort to nurse the gas thru and enjoy playing with the performance of the car.

I've seen reports of people claiming to get in the low 20's and think they must be driving at full throttle on a 45 degree grade at all times. Maybe I have a freak, but I could not be more pleased with my mileage. Heck, I would have been happy with the sticker 23 MPG after 2 years in a Jeep that got 15.

What gives? I've never seen such a disparity in reported fuel economy on a car. The car mags seemed to have trouble getting the 23 MPG. Based on my experience thus far, if I got 23 I would be looking for a hole in the gas tank.
  • Options
    Hi there.

Okay, my question requires brutal honesty, so fire away for those interested.

I ordered an '05 in late April and received a call yesterday that it will be in early next week. However, I will be on vacation then and I was told they can hold it until I get back. I recently caught wind of the '06 changes and I am starting to have my doubts about the '05. A security deposit was not required, so I have nothing "down" on the car right now.

Here's where I need your honesty... would it be unethical for me to not take delivery on the '05 and have them put in another order for me on the '06? My guilty conscious has my paranoid, but I don't want to lose money on new additions that could add to the resale value down the line, plus depreciation I would be losing on the '05 since there is no "discount" for older models. I know I'm showing up late in the game with these realizations, I was just wondering if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

As a side note, these cars are selling like hotcakes at this dealer... I've never seen a tC sit on their lot more than a couple of days.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    If you chagned your mind, tell them you don't want the car. They will sell it to someone else. If you want an '06, they should be hap[y to order you one. It's still better than losing a customer entirely.

keep in mind that there will possibly be a price increase though.

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    at $200.00 more for the 2006 model.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Thanks for your reply stickguy.

I just got off the phone with my dealership, they were very understanding and didn't hesitate at all to help me. Since the wait on the '05 silver streak was 5 weeks, this will probably sell as it is delivered.

Now that I've put in a new order, the wait time will be 3-4 more weeks, hopefully it will arrive at the end of June.

I don't mind the $200 price increase. With the modifications and the fact I won't be losing as much in depreciation, I feel this is a better situation for me.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input. :)
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The '05 tC is having it's best months ever this Spring, and the changes are modest to the '06.

Sales don't need a spike now! Maybe in the fall, when most '06 are released.

DrFill
  • Options
    enroncfoenroncfo Member Posts: 5
    I know the tC comes with either Potenza's or the Yoko's, does anyone have an opinion about which is better? I know the Potenza's don't have a great rating, especially in snow and living in upstate NY, that is a definite concern. What about the Yoko's? Anyone have a winter experience to share? Also, can you request which tires you want on the car? Last check at my local dealer, 4 tC's, 2 cars with each kind, so it really doesn't seem like it would be a big deal if I wanted the Yoko's over the Potenza's, right? What is the general consensus on the tires with you guys? Keep in mind, snow tires are not really an option, I've driven in snow my entire life and never had a real problem, but then again, never had a sporty car either.
  • Options
    In 7K, I have no complaints about the portenzas. But, If I lieve in upstate NY (and I spent 4 years in Schenectady), I would absolutlely go with dedicated snows.

• Options
    Union College stickguy? Any word on which tires are on the 2006 model?
  • Options
    up, spent 4 years at Union. Guess you know the area.

Also, over the weekend, I saw a tC in bright red (looked goofy IMO), and also that light tealish-blue. Couldn't get into that one either.

• Options
    The 05 tC came out last June so it's only logical to release the 06 in June also.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I have 11.5k on the Potenzas and lived thru a Michigan winter with them. I had serious doubts because of their poor ratings but was pleasantly surprised that they were not as bad as I had anticipated. I realize that isn't a glowing endorsement, but the Duelers on my RX were worthless in snow in comparison - so much for 'ratings'. I would clasify them as only "fair" in snow/wet, dry and noise. Wouldn't be my choice but I can live with them for a while.

That being said, I will change (probably Pirelli PZero Nero) when these wear out. The Potenzas are donig well enough to keep me from the added expense of early replacement, but I won't buy them when I have the choice. No help on the Yoko's, but I'm interested in what you find out about them.

I nixed the dedicated snow tire idea. Given this type of car and the urban setting I'm in (snow gets cleared rather quickly) another set of tires and wheels just doesn't seem worth the expense.
  • Options
    axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    My thoughts exactly. The Portenza's worked better in the snow than expected. But, I'll be trying to find something with longer treadlife and less-sporty ride when the time comes.
  • Options
    yaron_usayaron_usa Member Posts: 1
    but I could succeed. I did this when I was ordering my '05, and I demanded the yokos instead of potenz but I was told there's nothing that could be done about which tires the car came with. Well, I did good on my trade-in value, so I didn't push it (plus I know he wants to make some money too). I know the 1.0 comes with yokos... think about getting that? then again, I have no clue if those all sold or what.
  • Options
    I work in Clifton Park and live in Lake George, know the area quite well. I'm thinking about what tires I want to be on when the Northway doesn't get plowed this winter and I have a 35 mile trek north.

Also,
    Anyone know anything about the color changes? I kinda liked the Indigo, I was looking to get Flint Mica myself, but that blue was pretty sharp. Is the Nautical blue going to be any different really?
  • Options
    koala_ak47koala_ak47 Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if anyone has had major issues with the sunroof(s). Heavy rain, hail, ice, cracks, breaks, leaks, whatever. And also a lot of the critics complain the radio door looks cheap can you remove it without breaking it? Thanks!
  • Options
    the radio cover, I just leave it up, so no reason IMO to try and remove it. At least you have it if you want it.

Only problem I have had with the roof is some creaking/groaning, but I also have a very early build.

there have been a few posters that had a problem with the wind deflector part breaking will driving on the highway.

• Options
    107main107main Member Posts: 33
    I found the interior looks nice and a cut above some others in quality.
    Definitely not a road car unless you like to feel every bump in the road and plenty of road noise.
    Drives fairly well, but not a screamer off the line. It is a tenny boppers go to school or college kind of car, sporty, but definitely not a real sports car.
    Price is right, if they discount the sticker price.
    I recently drove a Honda Civic EX SE coupe on a trip and liked it much better, but, hey, different strokes.... Both good cars I am sure.
  • Options
    I'm one of the unfortunates that had the front deflector break while on the highway. Very disturbing experience. While the part was replaced under warrenty, this is something that definately needs a long term fix.

The radio cover? I'm a little tired of the band-wagon of whiners crying about this. Yes, it could be a little more substantial but I find it no more "cheap" than some plastic parts in some cars costing twice the price. While mine is open most all of the time, I have not experienced any problems when I do use it. My only beef is that if there is a door over the radio, there should be controls on the wheel. Something that has apparently been addressed on the '06. Certainly no need to remove it.
  • Options
    Funny how perceptions of the same thing can differ so much. What little road noise I find in the tC can be attributed more to the tires rather than any defaults with the build of the car - I actually find it quieter than anything else in its class (Mini, RSX...).

I agree that this is a "sporty" car and not a true 'sports' car - but then again it isn't meant to be one - either is anything else in its class, which is what it should be compared to.

"Teeny bopper", "College kid" car? In todays broad markets I think it unfair to generalize any car like that. My daughter is a 'teeny bopper - college kid' that drives a Silverado. I am a 52 yr old professional that drives the tC. So much for that thoery.

The tC is thousands less than comparably equipped cars in its class. People that 'guesstimate' the cost of my car are consistantly in the low & mid 20's (it cost 17k). Hey, I'd love to see it offered at below sticker too, but it is undoubtedly the best value in its class - even at sticker.

None of the 160 hp cars in this class are screamers off the line. I am somewhat agressive and have yet to find a situation where the car felt underpowered when I asked for or needed some umph. Again, these cars aren't designed for the track, but do offer more than adequate power and handling for some fun.

As you say, to each his own. I drove them all while shopping and couldn't top the tC for its overall characteristics and value. And while styling is certainly subjective, I turn a lot more heads than any Civic does.

Happy motoring.
  • Options
    koala_ak47koala_ak47 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    107main107main Member Posts: 33
    The car IS marketed for the youth. That is in the literature and what the salesman told me. I am 61 and it is a bumpy ride on the road, but so is a Honda S2000. It does ride better than two 05 H1 Hummers I recently drove on trips. Now you talk about turning heads, these turn heads. People will drive up besides you on the interstate and slow to look it over. At $137-146K sticker, they ought too! I move cars as a side job and get to drive all kinds of them.
This discussion has been closed.