Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC

Comments

• tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    Unless you have other issues with the car, I sure wouldn't let the deflector thing stop you from getting one. The statement I heard was that there were 3 complaints lodged with the safety board. That isn't real indicative of an epidemic. Although it was not a pleasant experience, it was handled at no cost by my dealership.

As pleased as I am with the car, that is one item that they goofed on. After all, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that designing a part out of glass that stands nearly perpendicular to the road isn't such a great idea.

Of course, if you want to play hardball, there are other cars out there that would not have that worry. I for one would not want a car without a sunroof, but to each his own. I always thought that having it as standard equipment (not to mention the panoramic feature) was a great part of what helped set the car apart from some of its pricier competition.

I now have noticed other cars with similar features and wonder what material the deflectors or higher profile pieces of roof are made of or if the same potential exists.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "After all, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that designing a part out of glass that stands nearly perpendicular to the road isn't such a great idea."

I wasn't aware the sunroof deflectors were made of glass? Where did that info come from? :confuse:

The original post on this subthread just said that some deflectors had shattered from hitting road debris; it didn't say anything about the material.......for all we know, Toyota got a bad batch of plastic deflectors from their supplier.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    it is glass (the whole roof is).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I stand (sit) corrected.

I just checked the Scion site; obviously I was wrong regarding the type of sunroof and pop-up deflector the tC uses. I was thinking of the little tack-on deflector usually added as an accesory to cars with sunroofs rather than a full-width-of-the-windshield pop-up panel.

The Scion site does show a full profile of the car with the sunroof open and the deflector up; it is hardly 'vertical' as posted previously. It look like it is raked back at an angle similar to the windshield. It also looks as though the pop-up deflector is 'frameless' so it fits better (flush) with the sunroof when closed. I wonder if this design contributes to the breakage problem with road debris?
  • axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    I haven't had a problem w/mine. However, I'll gladly take whatever fix they have to prevent it from happening.
  • sitnspin4lfesitnspin4lfe Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a TC. All I can say is WOW! For the price you cant go wrong. I bought the TC in August after waiting 3months to receive it. I got it with 0 miles on it and now I have 3700. The car looks sporty and is definitely built for my personality. The sunroofs are unbelievable. I added all the goodies as well. Just waiting on the intake to come back, and also the supercharger which will be out next year (2006). Toyota kinda screwed me over, but the car is built for casual luxury.
  • mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    glad you like your car..

the supercharger is ALREADY out now available from your dealer (TRD parts).. was released a couple weeks ago..
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I hope one of the car mags does a full test of a supercharger-equiped tC. It would be interesting to see how it would match up against a production Civic Si when it is released in December.
  • bjigs01bjigs01 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a new 2006 scion tc. My only concern is that i live in the notheast. we get lots of snow. being in the sales business i drive between 500-1000 miles a week. does anyone know how these cars handle in the winter. any comments are greatly appreciated!!!
  • pbb172pbb172 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems with the wheels/rotors/disks/brakes on their Scion tc? Specifically, anything that has caused part(s) to fall off of the vehicle leading to control/brake problems?

Thanks in advance.
    if you have good/decent tires the car is fine in snow.. I know what you mean, some cars even if they have snow tires just aren't good in snow.. the tC is fine in snow, no problems at all..

if you're going to get good lake effect snow depths, definitely get some good snow tires.. Blizzaks come to mind (bridgestone makes them)
    Brakes have held up fine, better than the Honda's I've had in the past.. No warping or run-out problems.. No vibration.. I have found that the discs have a little rust on them when parked for a few days, but that's normal for a car..

Brakes have been good, and the ABS isn't overly sensitive either like on some cars.. I do admit I wish the brakes stopped quicker, but the stock pads are doing a good job and stopping in a very good distance.. maybe someday i'll update the pads, but at this rate the stock pads might just last 40k-50k miles!!
  • gaurav811gaurav811 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I bought my scion 06 two months ago. And I have now got a job in california. I currently live in ny. So my question is should i drive to CA or to fly ?
    Here are the facts that will help you help me ...
    1) I dont know much about cars at all. Best I can do is to replace a flat tire.
    2) If I fly the new company will pay for my flight but then i have to spend around $1000 to ship the car and my bags. If I drive company pays for the gas. But I pay for hotel and stuff. So basically if I drive I will put 3k miles on my car, burn tires and take the chance that something might go wrong on the way. But I save around $800 in cash given everything goes smooth. Also I have heard that people who ship cars mostly get them back with dents.

What should I do ?

please advise.
  • heybradyheybrady Member Posts: 75
    I dont have any scientific info for you, but I think you should take the opportunity to see the country. You have 1000 to spend if you were going to ship it, so use that money and take 3-5 days to drive across the country and stop along the way at any place of interest to you. Chances are you wont get the time or desire to do this on your own, so hop on I-80 and go. Youll go thru a bunch of cool places. I think a few years ago a guy on espn.com did an article about a road trip on I-80, lots of cool places.

The drive should not hurt yoru car as it is past its break in period. Maybe get a fresh oil change before you go, maybe even put synthetic in it since the drive will be harder on the engine than normal. Burn a bunch of cds and go crazy.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Highway miles are the easiest miles you can put on your car. Stop and go along with cold starts are the hardest on the engine. Additionally, the worst time for an engine is right after an oil change. Something to do with the oil pressure while filling the oil filter.

I too would take the chance to see the country though. Drive it.
    I agree 100% that highway miles are the easiest on the car. I am just thinking in terms of the sheer number of miles driven will put more of a strain on the engine and any moving parts. Driving several hundred miles per day for several days straight will be harder on the car than driving 50 highway miles a day to and from work.

That would be a great drive, that's for sure.
    "Driving several hundred miles per day for several days straight will be harder on the car than driving 50 highway miles a day to and from work."

Given the same total number of miles driven, a longer trip with highway miles will actually be easier on your car than lots of shorter trips. It's lots of cold engine starts, and stop and go driving, that's hardest on a car. With your long trip you would just be adding on more miles, more quickly, than if you didn't take the trip at all.
  • gaurav811gaurav811 Member Posts: 6
    Ok Guys. That really helps. Knowing not much about cars it convinces that I should not have any problems in theory to drive down to CA. I am gonna use AAA to plan my itinery and stop at some scenic places on the way. If you know some places I must check out on I-80 pls let me know.
    thanks again guys.
    Gaurav
    These two links have some places to see in the Ohio/Indiana area.
    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/020815.html
    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/020816.html

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame - Cleveland
    Notre Dame - South Bend
  • award392award392 Member Posts: 4
    do you know the offset and weight of your wheels?
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    I recently took my tC in for the "recall" fix on the wind deflector. There is nothing that shows on the outside so I assume they put an invisible bra film on the underside of the glass. Scion was nice enough to send me a nice metal 1/24 scale model of the tC in my color as "appreciation of my time." Now, if I could only get lighted buttons on my HomeLink controls so I could find them at night ...
  • integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    How many tC's has Scion put on the road so far?
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Having driven the eastern half of I-80 few times, I can tell you that it is pretty boring drive except for the mountains in western PA. I hear thing get intersting once you pass SD. TC should hold up better than driver on the cross-country drive.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Just an off topic thought. The tC and solara use the old camry's 2.4 I4 right? Does this mean the next model year tC and solara will get a new I4 from this new camry? :confuse: This has been bugging me. The I4 is strong but needs a little more oomph (more being keyword).
    I would expect the tC's engine to be upgraded to the new version but I would not expect it to make too much of a difference - the HP ratings are very similar. Stuffing in that new V6 would make it very interesting though...
  • kjsalleekjsallee Member Posts: 2
    no way scion will put a V6 in. It would make it too expensive. I would think making the supercharger a factory option would be more likely.
    Sorry, I was just being facetious. I would never expect Toyota to put the V6 in the tC either. But if they did (and could), the added cost wouldn't be any more than what they want now (parts and labor) for the supercharger!
    Now imagine if toyota gave a navigation system as an option to replace the stereo to fit well behind the annoying stereo cover. Hopefully a 6 speed manual/5 speed automatic for an even sportier tC! Vent rear windows would be nice. But if they did this, the xA and xB MUST get stronger engines and total redesigns. :shades:

Out of all said, i think the new I4 in all vehicles and redesigned xA/xB will be most likely to happen :shades: .
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large newspaper reporter aims to interview someone who is on the waiting list for a Scion. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Sunday, March 4, 2006 with your daytime/weekend contact info and the model you’re on the waiting list for.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kjsalleekjsallee Member Posts: 2
    instead of giving the tC more power, I'd like to see it lose some weight. It's kind of chubby right now.
  • ednardesednardes Member Posts: 5
    This line in the "Full review" (sans supercharger) is compleat BS;"Hyundai's Tiburon is perhaps the closest match in terms of looks, style and price, but the sleek little Korean coupe can't touch the Scion tC in terms of road feel and power"

I test drove those cars back to back, (slightly scaring the salesmen involved) and I can tell you the Hyundai Tiburon GT is superior in terms of power and breakspeed handling. The supercharged tC is only slightly faster than a properly driven Tiburon. The tC is still a very nice handling car but I found both it and the Tib too asmatic and am currently in a 2004 Subaru WRX sti.
    Hyundai's Tiburon is perhaps the closest match in terms of looks, style and price, but the sleek little Korean coupe can't touch the Scion tC in terms of road feel and power"

The tc has a 4cylinder and the tib has a 6 and is $$$. The tc is already the better deal. The only way to compare is if the tc has the 200hp supercharger. Then the hp #'s will be 200tc and 170tib :P . Ps the tib is still a :lemon:
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    I've been doing a lot of shopping for a car for my college graduating kid. Been looking at the New Honda Civic Coupe, Accord Coupe, Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Scion tC. The tC looks to be a great value/fun to drive car that's priced right & offers a lot of customization options. My question is this... Is the tC a "Boy's" car or a "Girl's" car... who is buying them? What sex is the principal driver?

When I was 21, all the Chevy Camaros were driven by Guys, and all the Pontiac Firebirds were driven by the Girls... Same cars different demographics!

Any Ideas?
  • ednardesednardes Member Posts: 5
    When I was auto shopping in 2004, a tiburon GT came out to $17k out the door..exactly the same as a stripped tC. So no, the S/C tC is not in the same price league as a loaded tiburon. A tiburon with a S/C is about $21k and 1 second faster in the 1/4th mile than a supercharged tC, so the scion also cannot win against a tib in the price performance area (only in that the scion blower is directly supported by toyota).

The only reason I looked at the Tiburon is because my friend put 60k miles on a 2003 (within 2 years) without it breaking anything; unlike a cousin's 04 tC which keeps losing its passanger window motor and rattles like mad. To be fair my sti has lost its powerlocks once so unlike you I won't throw the :lemon: comment dispite me obviously knowing alot more about the cars in question than you.
    This comparison is straight from edmunds. Also remember the tC is in it's 2nd year of sales compared to the many of the tib. Try this comparison yourself.
    Pricing tC(5sp) Tiburon (Gt limited)
    MSRP $16,300 $20,495
    Invoice $15,485 $18,753
    National True Market Value (TMV®) Price $16,300 $19,243

Colors tC Tiburon(Gt limited) (respectively)
    Interior Color Chips 1 Available 1 Available
    Exterior Color Chips 7 Available 4 Available

Base Engine tC w/o supercharger Tiburon(Gt limited) (respectively)
    Base Engine Type & Cylinders inline 4 V6
    Base Engine Displacement 2.4 liters 2.7 liters
    Valvetrain 16 Valves
    double overhead cam (DOHC) 24 Valves
    double overhead cam (DOHC)
    Variable Valve Timing Standard Not Available
    Horsepower 160 hp @ 6000 rpm(tC) 172 hp @ 6000 rpm(tib)
    Torque 163 ft-lbs. @ 4200 rpm(tC) 181 ft-lbs. @ 3800 rpm(tib)

Available Engines tC Tiburon(Gt limited) (respectively)
    4 Cyl Standard Not Available
    6 Cyl Not Available Standard

Now admit the tib has more standard hp/torque but remember this is comparing top of line tib Gt limited w/ a V6 engine. Comparing the base tC and base tib, those #'s are sad. In my opinion with respect to my lifestyle, the tC is more passenger/driver friendly. If you think me throwing the :lemon: remark was slick, what do you think the so unlike you I won't throw the comment despite me obviously knowing alot more about the cars in question than you. comment is? Try posting this message in the civic SI room. Thats how to equally compare competition. I know you said toyota vs hyundai but this is a crowded field of vehicles :mad: . Remember no two cars are built exactly the same. I know people who's tC has many miles and none of the problems (or different problems) you mentioned. Just ask some of the people in this form.
  • gtwgtw Member Posts: 46
    I see a lot more girls driving these than guys.
  • cdbvacdbva Member Posts: 3
    My new tC is going to be ready for pickup tomorrow. This weekend I found in the new Consumer Reports car issue that the tC got a black mark for something to do with the body... can't remember the exact phrase, but it was something like "body integrity."

So what kind of body problems are there? I've read about squeaks and rattles, and the recall of the sunroof shield in 2005. Anything else I should know about?
    The tC just got the distinction of being one of the 10 hottest cars by cnn. Had mine since 9/04 and I have to agree. :shades:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/16/Autos/hot_cars/index.htm
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    That's hot selling. As measured by price off sticker and days to sale. No negotiation at Scion, and limited production, so that's why all 3 models are on here
    Yeah there is, the radio/stereo is a POS. My daughter is on her third one. 2 replaced under warranty.
    The 2007 Lexus ES 350's panoramic moonroof looks strikingly familiar. ;)

Btw, have had no problems with the radio. In fact, it's the best sounding system I've ever had. Especially, considering all of my other vehicles are in the $30K + category.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    There is a SSC (special service campaign) to fix the wind deflectors on the 2005 and early 2006 tC's., contact your Scion dealer to have it fixed or to have the special film attached if yours has not broken. This has been out for a while now. You should have been notified by mail. IF not then just take your tC in and ask to have it taken care of.
    Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The 2007 Camry's 4 cylinder engine is not new. It has been slightly modified for the new Camry to handle the extra weight... The current engine in the tC has plenty of "OOMPH". If you want more why not add a supercharger?
    Mackabee
  • dgkiminadgkimina Member Posts: 1
    I am a 54 year old male. I am considering buying a Scion not for price, but because I like the way it looks. BUT, I don't want to buy a car that you only see young people in. Are there any published demographic studies completed on what age the purchasers of the Scion tC are?
    When I drive my 17 year old daughters tC, I get a lot of second looks from younger people. I've really never seen anyone that looked like they were over 30 driving one. When I told her I might buy one, she said what are you trying to do be a teenager again? LOL.

If you like it and want it, then screw what people think and go get one.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • hex4120hex4120 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, i know if you do anything with the stereo it pretty much voids the warranty, but what about like adding a cold air intake or dropping it and stuff like that? will that void the warranty as well or have i been misinformed
    I believe the warranty only applies to items installed by the dealer.
  • ccliffordcclifford Member Posts: 1
    The answer is....... Yes older people are buying them. Im 34 years old. I got mine through talking with a 58 year old man who loves his TC. Buy what you like, drive what you like. It's that simple. I know I am!
  • cdbvacdbva Member Posts: 3
    Well, I'm 49. And I sure as heck wouldn't give one to a teenager. It goes too fast. Best to give a kid a five year-old small Chevy (if it still runs).
This discussion has been closed.