Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    It costs the same to add it later.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • baltogun2003baltogun2003 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have an 08 tc with the pedestal spoiler. It is a great look with very minimal obstruction. I have no problems seeing out the rear window. Looks great also.
  • drlieberdrlieber Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everyone,

I just put a deposit on a 2008 Tc (Very excited!!) yesterday, and I asked them to also add an auto-dimming mirror. I was quoted a ballpark price for the mirror of $450, which I found to be quite high. I am wondering if there is anywhere that I can go to read up on accessories which I can take to someone else for installation.

I'd be interested in adding modifications down the line, but I'm not really familiar with how any of that works. I imagine it would be cheaper for me to find an auto-dimming mirror on my own (who knows), so it is something I'd like to look into. Does anyone have experience with buying accessories outside of the dealer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Congratulations! You're going to love this car. :) They should have given you a firm price on the mirror including installation. Go to www.scion.com and then to build your Scion and look at the pricing for the tC accessories. I wouldn't recommend an outside source to do this. When the tC first came out there was an issue with installing this type of mirror on cars with the side curtain airbags. Since the bags are now standard I believe the issue was corrected. Doing an outside install and something going wrong may void your Scion warranty.
    Mackabee
  • maverickjmaverickj Member Posts: 16
    how well does a scion handle? i dont want the spec..i want an honest consumer opinion.
    In comparison to which car?
    Mackabee
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,
    I'm driving Acura RSX'03 base auto, with 110K miles on it already. Test-drove tC'08 base auto. Impressions, in comparison to RSX:
    - low-end torque is there for sure;
    - at higher RPM, engine felt like losing steam a bit;
    - steering felt too light, with uncertain on-center feel;
    - suspension felt softy, so handling wasn't really good.

I'm curious, what Scion/TRD mods would have improved steering and, most important, "stiffen up" suspension and improve handling.
    thanks in advance - vickat
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    According to the September issue of Motor Trend, the tC will now have Stability/traction control for '08. Anyone know if this is true? :confuse: Sometimes MT can be off the mark with new specs.

Thanx...

Peace<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    They are misinformed. It only has abs, not vsc/trac and not an option. The new xB has standard vsc/trac just like the old one did.
    Mack
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Mack...

Thanx for the reply...

I knew it! They're also off about vsc/trac on other models too in this particular September issue concerning 2008 vehicles with what's new to expect.

Oh well...maybe it's wishful thinking on their part.

Bummer- :(

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
  • jmeinersjmeiners Member Posts: 3
    I was reading in the "Problems & Solutions" section about a missing problem at highway speeds. Someone also posed to possibility of a "lean surge". I am experiencing the same thing but it is really bad and in every gear. I have had the regional Toyota tech look at the car and he said it was a change in the feedback for the fuel system that happens around 15% throttle, and that there was nothing that could be done at this time. There needs to be an ECU program change. Does anyone know if there are any ECU updates for the 2005 Tc? Thanks.
    How many miles do you have on your 05? My son has one with about 53k miles. I will ask him if he's experiencing the same thing.
    Mack
    I have 26k on my car. When the feedback changes the engine goes really lean thus the loss in power (like dropping an anchor). It wouldn't be bad if it changed and stayed there, but I tend to want to drive right at the switch and it comes and goes very rapidly.
    5spd or auto tranny?
    mack
    5-speed.
  • rockr_321rockr_321 Member Posts: 1
    Im getting ready to buy my first car in January. Im currently driving a Mazda 626 97', which isn't really that bad. It was fully loaded when my parents got it, then after they tore it up for about 8 yrs gave it to me. Its not gonna last much longer. I want something that will be reliable, somewhat speedy, attractive, as well as have a ton of features. Gas milage isn't a real concern for me. So I've narrowed it down to these three but a 07' Colbat might also be option.

Any of ya'll experienced advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I'm trying to stay under 20k.
  • effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    Those are 3 good choices you've narrowed it down to. Personally i'd go with either the TC or the Mazda 3. The TC is a very stylish car, and gives you much bang for your buck, as well as Toyota quality. The only problem is its a 2door only(which is why I didn't get one). If this is a non-issue than this is a good choice.

The Mazda 3 is very nice as well. I love the interior, very sporty. Outside's not to shabby either. If I had to chose one of the three, i'd probably go with this one.

The Lancer is kick [non-permissible content removed] on the exterior. Love the new design, but the interior leaves a little to be desired. I also just found out that Mitsubishi offers a 5yr bumper to bumper on the Lancer. This is well worth noting.
  • george303george303 Member Posts: 10
    drove 2008 out of dealer , love it
    the dealer says to not exceed 60 mph for first 1,000 miles,drive easy, any comments,as i can't wait to let it roar!!!
  • mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    your dealer told you the correct thing. others would say don't listen, but your dealer is right. Just have patience and take it easy, you want to have this engine for awhile, so don't give in to temptation and it'll repay you later in better fuel economy, and even accleration.

After 1000 miles I'd have the oil changed out just to be safe, dealers have said it doesn't need it, but never take the chance. It's just oil, drain it out, replace it. Why? Because there is a chance of as the engine breaks in, small shavings get into the oil. Some will dispute this, but they're not engineers. So do yourself a favor and change the oil after the break in period.
    thanks,mark19,point well taken
    i've extracted a good audio systemfrom my old ca.i want to install in new '08 tc. but i'm afraid they will tear up doors,mess with battery , throw off settings,etc.....
    HAS ANYONE had this done without hassles??? :)
    oil filter too after 1k?? :confuse:
    If you're changing the oil do the filter too.
    Mack
    mack,
    went to dealer's garage for 1k checkup. He said wait for 3,000 miles to change oil and filter .Something about waiting for the gaskets to swell? Now i'm confused. will it hurt to change at 1k??

Thanks, :confuse:
    George
    George-
    dealer is full of it, to put it lightly. Gaskets to swell? hahaha.. that's hilarious, what a lie. :mad:

No it WILL not hurt it to change it 1k miles. There is no "special break-in oil" in the tC's engine, it's regular oil. If that dealer you're going to won't change it, find another dealer who will. You're a paying customer, plus you have THREE free oil changes thanks to Scion, unless they changed that too.

You should be confused! Your dealer is making up lies.
    It won't hurt to change your oil at 1k or even 5k. Today's engines are manufactured with closer tolerances than before. It used to be that you would find metal shavings in the oil pan but I can't remember when that was the last time it happened. If it will make you feel better I'll talk to my Master Mechanic in the morning and get back to you. The service writer you spoke with probably thinks the switch from dino oil to synthetic will cause a change in the gaskets which it will but not when you have less than a few thousand miles. I changed to synthetic in my MR2 when it had 80k miles on her (why I don't know :confuse: ) and I did experience oil seeping through the valve covers so I switched back. Didn't hurt anything. God I miss that car!
    It's two complimentary oil changes on the 08's.
    Mackabee
    :mad: with factory low profile Bridgestone tires, what is recommended pressure ??
    I live in new york city and am exposed to potholes street steel plates and the like. I don't need a blowout
    for scion tc -2008
    It's on a sticker in your driver door area. It's 32psi front, and 29psi rear. Check when cold, that means not driven for a couple of hours.

hope that helps. did you ever go and get your oil changed at 1k?
    i'm afraid to bring car to audio dealer to install new speakers :mad: has anybody had there doors ruined or found any difficulty???
    As long as it's a reputable audio dealer I wouldn't be afraid.
    Mack
  • vastovasto Member Posts: 4
    It's been 5 weeks now (1200 miles) owning a 2008 tC which replaced my 2001 Celica. Happy with car and getting 32 MPG. Seats don't hold you when cornering like Celicas did. Sort of like a bench seat. I had 3 Celicas (2001,1994,1990) and was sorry to see that model vanish. tC was the closest thing. Anyone else feel that way about seats?

Did anyone pay less than $17620 sticker. My dealer paid state tax (on all Toyotas in Oct) and saved me $881 plus I dickered and they gave me floor mats and cargo net.

VASTO
    They are not supposed to do that. If they get audited by Scion they could lose allocation and even the franchise. OTOH if they did it for you they must do it for everyone that bought a tC during Oct in addition to the floor mats and cargo net.
    Mackabee
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    If they get audited by Scion they could lose allocation and even the franchise.

State franchise laws prevent Scion controlling prices in much of the US.
    Gee. No one seems interested in my seat comfort question but is hung up on pure pricing. A multi million dollar dealership that advertised in October (with radio and print ads) to pay sales tax on all Toyotas and Scions sold before month end surely must have done their homework. And I believe they sold a lot of cars. I recall that years ago price fixing was deemed illegal except maybe when selling gasoline. In any case, I love the car and feel I got the best deal. And that's what car shopping should be!
    Someone misunderstood my post. They are not supposed to "throw in" mats or other accessories to make a deal. If they do that then every customer must get the mats and the other accessory they gave the buyer during that promotion period.

Mack/
    p.s. the seats are very comfortable and have very good lateral support.
    :shades:
  • nifabnifab Member Posts: 7
    Hi All-

My tire was leaking air slowly. Turned out to be a nail & the Toyota shop (#2) recommended to patch it, which I did. To weeks later my tire light went on & I went to my hometown Toyota shop (#1), they said that they could not find any leak, & thought the pressure dropped due to a "weather change." Two weeks later the light went on again, & then shop #1 stated that there was another area in the same tire that had to be patched.

Went back to shop #2 since they did the original work, & they informed me that the tire could not be patched (something about something rubbing against the patch area & making matters worse). At that point I was informed that I had to buy a new Yokahama tire--for a whopping $259 (+tax)!

The tires only have 10K on them. They came with the car (Yokahama S32A). I am not a hardcore car person, so maybe I am not appreciating their price, but from what I know these tires are not even that great!

What should I do? I cannot feasibly get one via the net, (don't know what I am getting nor how to put a tire on myself). Checked TNB, but the price was about the same as the Toyota dealer.

I would appreciate any advice on the matter:-)

Cheers
    nifab
    Have you checked with www.tirerack.com? They are the best. They have recommended installers in your area and they can deliver the tire to you in a day or two depending on which warehouse is closer to you. Give them a try. I been getting all my tire and wheel needs from them since 1998
    Mackabee
    I agree with Mackabee. Tirerack.com is the way to go. Tires for the tC start at $64 and Kumhos go for $70 + about $10 each for shipping. I get tires mounted and balanced at closest Super Walmart for about $15 bucks apiece which includes lifetime rotation and balancing. It surprised me that they mount tires purchased elsewhere and will rotate and balance them every 6000 miles FOR FREE! VASTO
    Really?! I'm glad you posted that. My youngest works at the local WallyWorld part time and gets 10% discount on anything. Next time I order from tire rack I'll take them there to get installed. Tks!
    Kuhmo's are excellent tires. I have them on my Camry, my son's Corolla, and My middle son's Prelude, and my son that own's the tC put a set of 18in G-games wheels and Kuhmo tires on it. Check it out:
  • msolomon74msolomon74 Member Posts: 1
    It handles very very poorly in the snow/rain. I find it downright dangerous in the rain/snow. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to make my Scion more safe in snow/rain???
    Thx
    Get rid of the Bridgestone tires and get some Dunlops, Yokohamas or Kuhmo. Last resort try the Good Year aquatreds.
    Mackabee
  • nifabnifab Member Posts: 7
    Thanks a lot for your advise. I checked out tirerack, but the savings for one tire was fairly small. However my Toyota dealership, recognizing an error, kindly replaced it without charge. They have always given me great customer service; that goes a long way for brand & dealership loyalty. Again thank you for your reply:-)
    Good. I'm glad things worked out for you.
    Mackabee
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Scion doesn't control the actual price, what they do control is how we price. Scion demands that we sell every car for the same price with the same options. It is up to the dealer to set that price. If we wanted to we could sell every car for 1,000 over msrp or 1,000 under as long as we never change from one sell to the next. Scions do not have much markup on them and there is no rewards from scion to meet goals or qouta's. Really the only thing pushing sells is the floorplan cost of the cars if they sit to long
  • rick_wallyrick_wally Member Posts: 8
    I found a good site that only sells mods for the scion tc.

http://www.modifymyscion.com/
  • jayna1jayna1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I bought a 2006 Scion tC three wks ago and recently I hear a creaking coming from wheel areas, front and back. (All other car noises have been taken care of). I owned two cars in the past that made the same noise and it was remedied with new struts or axels. Is it possible that a two year old car could have such a problem? What could have caused it?

Thank you! Dana :cry:
    How many miles? could be cv joint/axle or motor mounts in front, bushings in back.
    Mack
  • jayna1jayna1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Mack. Only 22,000 miles. Wow, sounds like it could be many different things. Does the mileage narrow it down at all?
    Those are too few miles to be having suspension problems. Look under the hood and carriage and also in the back under the storage compartment of the spare. You might have something loose knocking around. Your car is still under factory warranty so a visit to your local Toyota/Scion dealer is not out of the question. Let us know how it goes.
    Mackabee
This discussion has been closed.