Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (pre-2007)

Comments

• rc7762rc7762 Member Posts: 35
    Garden tractor fits well and my sons dirt bike also fits well with the tail gait down, I have a Harley and the bike is about 2 inches too long to fit in the bed, I could however put a sheet of plywood that would stick out about 4 inches and the bike should ride fine. I think a trailer would be a lot easier to haul things around and it is a lot easier to get my bike on a trailer than it would be to put in the bed.

I'm glad you are having good luck with the Jetta, My experience with VW has not been good at all, I owned a 97 GT and these were some of the problems I had:(all before 70,000 miles)

- Body molding would not stay on
    - Complete exhaust needed replaced (eft. $1,100)
    - Clutch needed replaced (est. $1000 +)
    - Replaced starter ($350)
    - A/C needed replaced, I kept filling with freon (est. $1000 +)

I never really did any research on the Jetta before I purchased one had I done this I would have steered clear of VW, I never realized how costly they are to repair and how many other Jetta owners have problems. I stay pretty active in the VW discussion, I really do like the way VW looks and rides but when I hear things like new Jettas consuming 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles and VW claiming this is normal I would rather look at something different.

I hope you continue to have good luck with your VW but if you do experience problems the VW discussion forum is a great place to get answers.

My wife still loves her Sport Trac and I really enjoy driving it myself, we also have a catalog of accesories just for the ST that can really dress it up nice. The owner of the dealer who sold us the ST had a black ST that he drove, he put nice chrome wheels on it along with some nice extras and I have not seen an ST yet that was as nice as that. Post a message if you decide to buy one.

Hope this helps.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Thanks for the info. We are still going back and forth between the ST and the F-150 Crew Cab, I'll let you know what we decide. My only hesitation is the ST is on the last generation Explorer chassis, not the current generation, and a Ford mechanic told me that the ST engine and tranny may not be as durable as the F-150. We really like the looks of the ST though.

My VW is a Passat. The difference in build quality might be that the Passat is built in Germany, the Jetta in Mexico.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I have experience with both of the drivetrain set-ups you are looking at. I have the 5.4L with the 4R100 transmission in my 1999 Expedition and I have the 4.0L SOHC with the 5R55E in my wife's 2000 Explorer. My Expedition is at 89,000 miles and I have had only a battery and alternator go bad. No engine or trany issues. My wife's Explorer is the third one we have had, and all of them have been the previous generation. I have had no issues with the transmissions on any of them with a combined 180,000 miles. I like how the transmission on the previous gerneration Explorer is still serviceable, whereas the new generation Explorer's transmissions are "sealed" for "life" (150,000K). I have heard that you can still get the transmission serviced on the new generataion Explorer, however, it is just much harder. I think that you are safe with either of your choices. It is just key to be right on for maintenance with Ford transmissions. Anyway, goodluck on your buying quest :-)
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    I also looked at the Sportrack and the 2003 F-150 Supercrew. Even though The F-150 is a bit big, I liked the overall package better. (except that the ST has the power back window)

The ST was nice but I know I can take on real payloads with the F150. The ST has a plastic bed - no steel bed with a liner. And the bed is very short on the ST.

With rebates on the F-150 it was only a few grand more than the ST I was interested in.
  • rc7762rc7762 Member Posts: 35
    I always thought the Dodge ram was the sharpest lookin pickup out there until I saw the new F-150, Ford did their homework on this one and it shows. Does anyone know how much longer the bed in the F-150 is over the ST and the cost of the F-150 (I know there are a thousand different combinations you can setup nowadays with pickups but I am just interested in a middle of the road F-150 if there is such a thing)

Thanks
    ST is about 48"

F150 supercrew about 63" - my bike just fits in the back and it is just under 63" long
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    driving a 2003 ST for a couple of weeks recently. All options except 6 disc, moonroof.

First off, I'm a truck man. Always have been, always will be. My 97 Silverado got the inevitable fuel pump blues and finally gave up the ghost. Well, I couldn't be without something to drive for any length of time, so I put a call in to my parents, to borrow the old standby Scout II. I was offered the ST. Of course I accepted.

Long story short, I was amazed! This little rig is almost perfect. The only thing I didn't do is get it off road, (its 4wd), but it'll pull my duck boat, haul all of my "stuff", and 3 or 4 more people if need be as well! I'm leadfooted, so imagine my surprise when I still got 19 mpg out of it! Even with the 4.10 gears! Needless to say, I'm thinking about buying one. The only question is, how much I'd get to drive it. (My wife really liked it!!)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    A friend just traded in his S-10 for a ST Friday, with similar amazement comments......
  • pusicpusic Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at a few used STs in the last few weeks thinking of replacing my '95 Pathfinder. I like the idea of a box with tonneau while maintaining my four doors (to cart the kids...etc). In the process, I've been checking out the Nissan Xterra, Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, and Dodge Dakota. Though I really like the sportiness of the Xterra, it doesn't seem to have the practicality in terms of storage space...etc. For variouis reasons, I've narrowed down to two. The ST and the Tacoma. I've got to test drive a Tacoma but their hard to find used. I have a couple of questions I hope to get some help with. Firstly, I'm looking at the '01 & '02 models but...

1. Does anyone tow a boat regularly with their ST? I'm thinking of buying a 18-20' Ski boat and want to be able to tow it if I do.

2. Some of the '01 STs seem to be shoddy in terms of the upholstery starting to come apart and the running boards have rust in them. Is this a common problem? Seems like a 3 year old vehicle shouldn't be rusting yet!

3. Clearance. The reviews seem to say that they aren't very good off-road. I like to do some fly fishing which means (for me) some light off roading 2 or 3 times a year. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My next door neighbor has one and a guy I work with has one, too. For towing the ST would be fine for me because I probably wouldn't tow very often, but some may find the Sport Trac lacking in power. Of these two people than own them they both are dissapointed in towing power. My neighbor tows two jet skis and the guy I work with tows a sixteen foot glass boat.

Neither one has had any serious problems with them. As to the off-roadability, I haven't a guess but I suspect it be not much different than an Explorer.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Since they came out I have been looking at the ST I think is the best looking 4d car/truck like vehicle. I evensualy buying one now my question is the st has been in the market for while, and i and sure you guys are on top of things When does ford will replace the st?
    v/r
    Greetings from VA
    fig.
    I thought Ford had considered canning the ST but the sales volume was just enough to keep it alive. And they sell with low incentives.

I did not thing changes were going to anytime soon.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    "And yes, they have a bed so they are crew cab short bed pickups NOT SUVs."

Not in my mind. My Dakota Quads 5.5 ft bed is just barely big enough to handle the light hauling I do. Any shorter and itd be useless. Isn't the Sport Trac's something like maybe 4.5 feet? What's it good for?
    "Isn't the Sport Trac's something like maybe 4.5 feet? What's it good for?"

I think its 4' - And that is why I bought the F-150 Supercrew. The bed is small but usable.
  • theurinaltheurinal Member Posts: 11
    Can someone please tell me the proper wheel nut torque for a 2003 Sport Trak with aluminum wheels?
    Thanks
  • dom55dom55 Member Posts: 4
    I am seriously considering a new '04 ST Adrenalin. Anyone see one yet? What dealerhip and state?
  • clemfordclemford Member Posts: 1
    Ok, St is a good looking truck with multi functions, but how is it really at towing. It is rated for 5000 lbs with the 4x4 and 4.1 ration limited slip differential, but I am concerned with the 4.0 litre motor. If they offered the 4.6 as they do on the regular Exlplorer, I would probably jump on it but I am tentative with a 6 cylinder towing a 2000 lb horse trailer with 2 800 pound horses inside (net 3600 lbs).

Is the 4.0 big enough for this job?
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Well it depends on a lot of things. I towed a 3,500 pound boat with my 2000 Explorer 4 door with 4.1 gears a couple of summers back. You can defiently feel the weight when taking off from a stop sign/light or getting on the expressway. Once you are underway you just leave it out of O/D and it cruises fine. If I used the boat more, I probably wouldn't like using this drivetrain for hauling the boat around. I would say that if you don't haul the horses around every weekend or for 500 mile trips, you should be fine. However if you do, I might look at an F-150 Supercrew, or other fullsize pickup. Goodluck with your shopping.
  • iaajiaaj Member Posts: 6
    So far I am enjoying my new sport trac and I like the fact that the seat heater/s stay on the next time I use the vehicle, if they are not turned off. I agree, Ford could have put the switch/indicator on the dashboard for easier view/operation. But they aren't very warm, compared to other vehicle's heated seats I have owned, is this normal? The heated seats in my Dodge are noticeably warmer.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have an '03 ST w/heated leather seats and they get plenty warm/hot! It takes about 1-2 minutes to get up to full temp but after about 5 minutes I have to turn them off because they get too hot. If you leave them on I believe there is a timer that shuts them off after about 10 minutes. I was not aware the seat heater would automatically come on if you didn't turn it off previously. That certainly wouldn't due in the heat of Summer, when entering your hot vehicle only to have the seats heat up even more!

I also have a '02 ES300 and it has high/low heated seats and they do turn off after about 10 minutes.

M. J. McCloskey
  • iaajiaaj Member Posts: 6
    Thanks M.J.,
     maybe there's a problem where mine do not get hot enough; I'll have to ask my service Rep. The manual (2004) says the heater will come on the next time you use the vehicle if you had not shut them off previously. In the summer I won't be turning them on, of course :-)
    If they do cycle off, I wouldn't notice since the switch/indicator is on the side of the seat/s near the door where you cannot see it without opening the door.
    On my 03 Dodge Ram there is a high/low switch which makes a noticeable difference. It does not shut off automatically but since the indicator is on the dash, it is very visible and can be adjusted as necessary.

-jim
  • rhodesiarhodesia Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hello I have a 2003 Sport Trac XLT. my question is that drivers side low beam does not work but the high beam does, passenger side headlight works fine low and high. I changed out the bulb on the driver side but it still does the same thing does not come on. the fuse is good since there is only one fuse for the headlights. The dealer wants to charge me $95.00 per hour to do a complete ele. systems check. does anybody out there know what else might be the trouble before I spend this much just to see why the low beam will not work? please post or e-mail thanks
  • castaiccastaic Member Posts: 1
    is torsion adj. the only way
  • troutdoorsmantroutdoorsman Member Posts: 17
    Brought my truck in for an oil change yesterday and they noticed a yellow buildup which is said to be moisture in the crankcase. The guy said it was caused because there wasn't enough airflow to the crankcase. Has anybody else experienced this? What can be done to prevent it from happening in the future?
  • troutdoorsmantroutdoorsman Member Posts: 17
    My truck is a 2005 sport trac for the above moisure in crankcase message.
  • dustyhokiesdustyhokies Member Posts: 1
    I want to get a pickup with seating for 4, but i want good gas milage and dont care about having a big truck. i just need something with an extended cab so 4 people can cram in that is cheap. Any suggestions?
  • bailey9bailey9 Member Posts: 3
    After 32000mi. on Goodyear Wranglers, I am told by the Ford dealer that all 4 tires are "cupped", accounting for terrible road vibration. This '04 Sportrac Slt had tires rotated & balanced every 5000mi! What gives, Ford!?
  • dwells67dwells67 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have the 2004 sport trac adrenline. It has only 25k miles and I was told at 20k miles that my goodyear wranglers were also "cupped" and this was the reason for the terrible road vibration. I also have had the tires rotated and balance every 5k miles. Today at the 25k checkup they now say that it is a bad ball bearing joint. I say that this has to be a manufacturer defect because its extremly well maintained and not driving hard/off road. Any others with this same issue??
  • woodinvawoodinva Member Posts: 19
    Have '04 Sport Trac that I bought from a dealer with 4K miles on it & had tires rotated at 5k and then at 10K tires (Goodyear) were cupped. Spoke with Ford Service Manager & then Regional Service Manager for my Ford Dealer, this is my 3rd Explorer . I had Proof of Rotation @ Sams Club receipts, then a dealers receipt at 10k point.

Regional Manager REPLACED ALL 4 tires at 11K miles as tires were cupped.

This is Goodyear Wrangler problem. They don't make good tires.

Will get BF Goodrich or Michelin once these wear a out at around 60K . These tires do have STIFF Sidewall & are good in Mud & Snow though. Not especially good in rain, have witnessed them Hydroplaning. Wife has 2000 Explorer 4x4 SUV with Michelin LTX that even with 125k on the tires still have 10/32 tread depth & run circles around these tires.

Good Luck , Veteran Explorer user in Central Virginia
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Don't try to make them last until 60K miles. My 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 came with Wranglers as OEM, and the front tires were shot in a little over a year. Replaced them with Coopers and got much better wear and duration. Michelins proved to be the best in temrs of wear on that truck.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bailey9bailey9 Member Posts: 3
    Thank-you for the info. As I search buying new tires(NOT Goodyear!!), I keep finding the recommended size as P255/70/16, not P255/65/16 as are on the vehicle since new-maybe Ford installed the wrong size for this vehicle?
  • sunnersunner Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 sport trac's body mounts on the rear are breaking into the body and causing it to rattle constantly. Ford has admitted that it appears to be a factory defect but won't pay for the repair since I have 58000 miles on it.

My guess is I'm not alone in the problem. You may want to check yours if you already own one.

I won't buy another of this vehicle. In 58000 miles it has left me stranded on the side of the road twice with sensor problems and now this.

Four body shops have looked at it and say they've never seen anything like it. Vehicle has never been off road or in a accident.
  • red05stred05st Member Posts: 1
    Someone stole gas out of my ST last night. :mad: He/she broke the gas clip behind the Gas Inlet hole.

According to Ford dealership, the round metal clip don't do much, but I have to fix it to pass the Smok Check (Visual Test). Ford wants $250 to bent it back out.

Is it something I can do myself? and How?
  • 05sportrac05sportrac Member Posts: 1
    hey. i just bought an 05 sport trac 4x4. and i am wanting to do some upgrading to. anyone want to tell me a website or two were i can find some good aftermarket parts?
  • whytetigerwhytetiger Member Posts: 1
    Where is the starter relay? Also, all of a sudden the truck "clicks" and it's the starter clicking but the lights go out and the door locks malfunction and all kinds of stuff like the battery is messed up. I tried to jump it and checked all the cables and the starter still clicks. I want to try to "jump" the stater relay but can't find it. Thank you

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. We ask that you check the new discussions that you can find at the Group page, linked below. This discussion will not be closed/deleted, so you can still post and search for information in it.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac Group

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • dmac12dmac12 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the electrical receptical is for the hook up of electric tralier brakes?
    It is supposedly under the dash, but I cannot find it.
    thanks
    Dean
  • koukokouko Member Posts: 2
    Can the 2-wheel drive be towed 4 down? Do I need a driveline lockout or is there a oil pump available. I am a brand new 2005 SPort Trac owner.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    No automatic transmission vehicle can be towed 4 down. You will blow out the torque converter. Some 4x4 trucks that allow you to shift the transfer case into N can be towed 4 down but that doesn't apply to a Sport Trac. You'll need a dolly.

Mark.
  • cardnalcardnal Member Posts: 3
    Bought an 08 Sport trac. Has automatic lights, but did not have the running lights option. The dealer did one flip of the computer in the vehicle, and PRESTO, I have the running lights option!!! All with a big N/C on my service billing. I assume some of the older models also have the onboard computer option available at NO cost?

There is no conflict between the auto lights and the running lights feature.

Cheerio
  • koukokouko Member Posts: 2
    Hey Mark,I tow my '05 2 wheel drive 4 down. I use a Remco Driveline lockout and it works fine . Did the same with two different Xterra's . Check their website www.remco.com............................Doug Lorimer
  • usmcstampusmcstamp Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 with 74334 on the clock the right rear cab mount has ripped apart. I have taken it to my ford dealer and sorry but they have never seen it before. So after checking the web we are not alone. I bought the truck in 2000 and it has been garage kept well maintained and has never been off road. Check yours if so report it to safercar.gov Looking to see if we need to go class action.
  • mjdilellamjdilella Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my upper left Brake Light and it still won't work , all other brake lights work. Ford wants $100. to check the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    MJ
  • truckinmamatruckinmama Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Sport Trac and I love it! The check engine light came on about 6 months ago so I took it to autozone and ran the code. It said either a vacum leak or gas cap needed replaced. I replaced the gas cap and the light went off. Not often but every great once in a while as it got colder it would start then as soon as I would let off the gas it would die. This happened maybe 3 or 4 times. But if I started it and kept my foot on the gas for a few minutes it would be fine. Last week I went out to start it and it started, kinda backfired, then would not start again. Thought maybe it needed a jump....nope that didn't work. Someone told me the gas line was froze and I thought maybe because I has just put gas in it 1 1/2 days before. It has not started since. It will try to start, but it is like its not getting enough gas to start or power to start. The fuel pump does kick on and I can smell gas when someone trys to start it and I am standing at the hood. I have heard that this may be a spark plug or coil or something cracked on the air filter. I should also mention that when I went out there yesterday to start it I checked the anitfreeze and it is bone dry (and yes I know to always keep antifreeze in it). Has anyone had a similar situation? I need to get it running again but as a mother of 4 finances are tight right now and if I can figure it out and fix it at home that would be my only hope right now. Any advice is appreciated...I miss my truck :(
  • rbootherboothe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 explorer sport trac. It has the autolamp feature with delay which turns the headlamps on & off automatically. Now when the lights come on after dark they don't turn off until the key is out of the ignition for 3 minutes - regardless of where the slider on the rear view is set!

Even the manual override doesn't work. Once it gets dark, the light comes on and won't go off until 3 minutes.

Is this a common problem ? If so what's at fault ?
  • chuganchugan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sport Trac. Replacing stereo with one that has USB port, etc. First step - disconnect negative terminal of battery. Done. Got old stereo out, new one connected. Hooked up battery to test new stereo, and alarm went off (Note - alarm hasn't worked in 6 years, since battery replaced at Ford dealership :mad: ). Had to disconnect battery to get it to stop.
    How to reconnect battery and shut off alarm? :confuse:
    Friend suggested removing horn fuse -- no change.
  • sparky50sparky50 Member Posts: 1
    Please give any advice on what we should look out for when buying a used Sport Trac. I test drove a 2003 yesterday with only 48,000 miles on it. It road great and was in excellent condition, but had a slight vibration when I took off and when I just started backing up. This scares me.

I've also heard about rear differential and suspension problems. Any advice would be appreciated.

With many thanks,

Kevin
  • jmarlowejmarlowe Member Posts: 1
    I have a sport trac that I have bought pre-owned. It had 35000 when we bought it and now has 55000 after 1 year. When I shift from R to D(reverse to drive), the engine moves. There is also a clicking noise. All fluid levels are good, and I've babied it(i.e. fluid changes, etc).

I know a lot about Ford, had a Ranger '04 that I took to the limit with maintenance.

Do I have anything to worry about....Still got the warranty from Carmax.

?????
    Could be a motor mount.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • rfoltzrfoltz Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 explorer sport trac. i am shopping for a computer chip to improve mpg and performance. Leaning toward a G-Force chip. Anybody using any upgraded chips that can offer advice/