Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, and its failure mode isn't breaking, just gets loose and noisy from wear.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    So what's the service intervals on the new HL '08? I know that many of the new cars in this segment don't need a real "tune up" for around 100K miles.
  • pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    They're probably the same as the RX350, Sienna and Avalon.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Wow such pathos for a little ole AC question...Anyway everything was clear and I was moving at 65 to 70 MPH and the AC was turned to lowest Temp setting. It still felt NOT COLD. In fact it felt uncold not tepid just uncold. I simply wanted to know if others have noticed this or not. I can sort of forgive the power assisted Rack and Pinion as a compromise to the soccer mom's but AC that is sub-standard is just that sub-standard.

The model was a HL Limited.
    There was controls for the middle row and vents for the back 2 rows....and yes it was not cold there either.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Are you sure you had the A/C switched turned on?
    Mack
  • hellofromcalihellofromcali Member Posts: 10
    I am too looking to buy a HL. Some of the posts here say only pay some hundred $ over the invoice. Can I ask if this 'couple-hundred-over-the-invoice' price includes all the fees (license fee, etc...) or do I have to pay extra for the those fees. And if I have to pay for those fees, about how much is typical for 2008 HL limited? Should I go with Costso Auto program? they seem to have a better price.
    Sorry I have never bought a new car before (poor broke college kid...lol)
    Thanks very much for all your advice!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's amazing from the original Camry I bought in 1989 where the service was very expensive every 3000 miles to now where it's nominal or FREE!!

Right out of your Service Manual.
    Every 5000 mi or 6 months
    ..Oil and oil filters
    ..Rotate your tires
    ..Check your brakes

That's it.

You might want to change your air filter as needed.
    Do a 'winterization' as needed.
    Have your plugs replaced sometime beyond 100,000 miles.

Owners are finding that the hybrid models need even less maintenance. Weird.
    Title and registration fees vary by state and so do taxes so those are on top of the price of the car. I gather you're in California by your user name. Have you gone to Edmund's TMV and priced one out and see what others are paying? I don't think a "couple-hundred-over-invoice" will do on this vehicle. It's not distressed merchandise.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • jathreyajathreya Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to make a decision on whether or not to select the rear A/C for the '08 HL. :confuse:

From the description, it is not clear if the option provides (a) another setting to control the rear temperature operated from the front panel or (b) a control setting for the rear that can be operated by rear (2nd row) passengers or (c) a separate independent HVAC unit for the rear that can be independently controlled through option (a) or (b), which should technically provide better cooling or heating to the rear (I'm thinking room air-conditioner vs. central A/C)

I live in the norCal Bay Area and I need to decide if I should to fly to soCal and buy or get it locally without the rear A/C.

Expert opinions on this appreciated. Thanks.
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    ">link titleThere are several good pts here. I differ slightly in my advice. 1) i think tmv does a poor job of giving someone an idea of how much to pay for a car. go to cars.com and take a look at the various prices. Then contact several dealers and offer 4K off total price over phone. If you find a deal you like, when you go into the showroom, take another 1500 off your offer. if they don't budge tell them you'll have to think about it. I guarantee they will call you back within 48 hours. this should work extremely well for 07 models. 08 models are redisigned which makes negotiations more difficult<a href="
    I think the option means that there are separate controlls for rear seat passengers. However a button must be pressed in the front in order for this to be activated. in terms of rear a/c if you have children or animals that you expect to transport, it is a nice option. It cools passengers much faster. Since this vehicle will be mass produced you might be able to find one that just has rear vents. However, if you will not be transporting humans or animals, this feature seems silly.

I hope this is helpful. Dealerships to avoid in Socal Torrance Toyota: they over price their vehicles, and there's no room for negotiation. Look at Longo Toyota, Cabe Toyota, Toyota of Cerritos, these are the one's that come to mind. good luck
    my god man of coursei had the AC turned on....i am going back this weekend to test drive another. Temp should be 93degrees.

This time i will make sure all the controls are correct and report back.
  • bassplayerbassplayer Member Posts: 5
    I've driven both the 2008 Highlander Limited and the 2007 Ford Edge, loaded. The HL is a softer ride, nice interior, the Edge more sporty, but a lesser interior. I enjoyed both of them for their strong points, and wouldn't have a problem buying either. I'm currently driving an STS with AWD, but I miss sitting a little higher after a decade of driving trucks and SUVs.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on value? The 2008 Edge should be out soon, and I've heard they are upgrading their nav system to a Bluetooth system. Even at MSRP, it is a less expensive car than HL (and I should be able to do much better than MSRP.) I plan to keep the car three years or more. Will the difference in depreciation make up the difference in cost for the HL?
  • hellofromcalihellofromcali Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying my post! I spoke to some friends last night and they said that I should buy a Pilot. It is better overall. Can anyone confirm this? I heard Pilot has some noise problem. is it really loud enough to be a problem? how about the ride? is it comfortable and soft (not rough like my 4Runner)? Anyone with experience, please share. Thanks
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    Only one way to tell - you have to drive them both. What's noisy to one is fine to another.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Drive them both, then decide...but please note the Highlander was just re-designed and the Pilot is about 6 months away from a brand new re-design. I personally will be waiting for that then comparing apples to apples.

The Toyota should be better due to the newer design, but will also carry a serious price premium.
    The Honda right now can be had for a song and a dance due to its last year of this body style, pretty crazy deals I have heard about 5000-6000 off list.

Next year when my time comes to find what fits my likes and lifestyle I will test drive the following (all have 3rd row):
    Honda Pilot (new design) & Odyssey
    Toyota Highlander & Sienna
    Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia twins
    Mazda CX-9
    Hyundai Veracruz
    Acura MDX

Nothing else comes to mind worth bothoring.

Good luck,
    B.
    I don't mean to insult your intelligence. Sometimes the obvious is forgotten. Let us know how it does. I drove one last night just to check it out and the cooling was fine. :)
    Mack
    Buying what your friends tell you to buy is not a good idea. You may end up with something YOU don't like. ;) The Highlander will have a "cushier" ride than the Pilot. Mainly due to their different suspensions. Since you already own a Toyota I can guarantee you are probably leaning toward the Highlander. Drive them both and see what you think.
    :)
    Mackabee
    No offense taken...The AC seems to be not as good as my 2004 HL and I sort of wish it was.

Has anyone seen a HL LMT with black leather interior.
    I am tired of the ASH or other light color :)
  • promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    Check the Toyota site, the only way to get black leather is on a Sport. Also wanted a LTD with black leather but doesn't look like it is available.
  • btoupsbtoups Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a new 08 highlander two weeks ago. I love the body style and the interior layout (3rd row seating). However, I am having a hard time adjusting to the soft, floaty ride. I don't feel in control of the vehicle. Is this just something I will get adjusted too? I drove a mini-van for 10+ years. I just expected to love the car and now I dread driving it.....
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    The electrically assisted steering wheel might be giving you the impression that it's even floatier than it is. I didn't have much feel for the road when I test drove the Limited.

Salesman says that the Sport version is noticeably stiffer than the Limited. Which trim level do you have?
    Here are some noticeable differences between the two vehicles.

1) driving any toyota/ lexus brand gives a vanilla driving experience
    -the Honda won't be as vanilla an experience as the toyota.
    2) toyotat is the #1 japanese auto corp because it sells the most vehicles, recently there have been quality ctrl problems in models like the new camry. Logic suggests there are elsewhere too.
    3) Since the Pilot has not been significantly redesigned it should be easier to negotiate with the dealer than with the redesigned Pilot.
    4) A mazda CX-7 will be slightly smaller than both of these but in terms of driving enjoyment it may provide the best driving experience, not to mention a cabin that yells quality.

hope this helps
    It will be close. I think for an 08 edge fully loaded a fair ofter would be 7K off the MSRP maybe more. If you aren't looking to buy the 08 immediatley wait 8 weeks and people should take your offer seriously.

1) I am dissappointed with the edge's interior way too many hard plastics, that look like they came out of the playskool mold. There is something to be said about reliability, with a toyota you should have zero problems, a ford that is a different issue.

take a look at the Mazda CX-7 better quality similar power, and guaranteed less problems.
    I have the Limited trim level. Just like I said, I really am questioning myself with this purchase.. I even wonder if the upcoming reviews of first test drives will yield a negative experience for the Highlander.
    This is to be expected in all toyota/lexus vehicles. The same complaints were made with the Lexus flagship sedan LS 460. Lack of connection with the car. Have you test driven a Mazda CX-7 or CX-9, this might be a good thing to test drive, it will be less expensive and you will probably feel like you are actually driving something.

2) you should judge your driving experience/ pleasure on how you feel not on what other's say or write.
    case in pt: if the reviews say the car drives well, i can guarantee you will tell yourself it must be me, yet you will still be miserable driving the car. It sounds like you are already pretty unhappy.

You should weigh how you truly feel about this car, if you loathe driving it, you still have an opportunity to save face and find something you really like. It won't be like this in the next 2 weeks, when depreciation really sets in.

Go with how you feel inside.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Just keep in mind that the CX-7 requires premium fuel. A deal killer for me.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Does it really matter what the first drives come back with? Since you own one aren't your own daily interactions far more important than someone else's?
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Reviews that I have seen seem to lean toward the Sport model because of the stiffer suspension, and they don't seem to like the next-to-little effort of the steering wheel. Otherwise reviews are good.

I test-drove the Limited, and though road-handling capabilities were fine--this will be the family car, so I don't want something too stiff. I did not find it bouncy, more like a bit "floaty", and it did lean a bit in the corners. Let's face it, the Highlander is in sorts the "Camry wagon", so I'd expect the same level of ride.

If you really want to remove doubt from your mind, go test drive a Sport model. Maybe you'll agree with all these reviewers that it does handle better, but maybe you'll also find it too stiff!
    So, how would I go about returning a vehicle??? DO I approach the toyota dealership I bought it at - although Toyota realy doesn't have another vehicle that suits my needs that I like. I got a little off the MSRP but I am not willing to lose more than $500 on this situation??? Any advice???
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Did you leave out a zero & mean to say your not willing to lose more then $5,000? :) No advice except maybe prayer!
    No modern day vehicle with EFI, Electronic Fuel Injection "requires" premium fuel. Yes, it does require premium to produce the stated HIGH(est) factory level of HP/Torque, but so what?

If the manufacturer advertises the vehicle as producing a level of HP/torque that requires that premium fuel be used, I'm quite sure the government would require so stating.

Maybe they should start advertising HP/torque with regular and premimum.
    No, I did not leave out a 0 - for $5,000 I will keep the vehicle and suck it up!!!
    You're overgeneralizing. What you say is true of most but if it has a turbo or very high compression ratio or revs, put high octane in it. I wouldn't put 87 in an S2000 or M3 or any car with a turbo.
    With EFI available for realtime interactive mixture control high compression is meaningless insofar as octane level. Ask any Dragster owner, extremely high compression engine but FLOODED with fuel to compensate.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's not very active at the moment but you folks may want to take the octane discussion over to Octane Recommendations for Highlander.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Have you driven both the new HL and the Pilot? In most cases I'd agree with you but the Pilot is far from exciting and worse than the HL, IMO.
    That's a dragster than has the oil changed far more often. Do that in a street car and you'll ruin the oil very quickly plus ruin emissions.

Ignition can only be retarded so much and that's what the knock sensor does.

I'll repeat what I said, with really high performance engines, high octane fuel is needed.
  • floridagal2floridagal2 Member Posts: 14
    We just drove both the 08 pilot and 08 Highlander. Highlander has more pick up and lots more options. My husband was sold on the pilot until he drove the Highlander, but likes larger cars, so now he's sold on the Highlander Sharp looking design, too, compared to the boring Pilot. Wish we could get the price down.
    Assuming we're talking nothing in the range of the A/F mixture in a dragster how does octane relate to ruining the oil..?

Ignition timing is no longer the primary resource for the engine ECU to use to prevent knock/ping, these days it does that by adjusting the A/F mixture.

"I'll repeat what I said, with really high performance engines, high octane fuel is needed."

Not "required"...?

Then I agree.

And so does Porsche.

When we picked up our 911/996 C4 at the factory I was told that during my driving throughout europe I would not always be able to fuel with premium, but I HAD TO always avoid leaded fuels or it would cost me $1000 to replace the catalytic converter before shipping to the US.

The factory rep explained to me that with EFI under/during acceleration the mixture would be automatically adjusted such that the engine would run perfectly well for but with a lower peak HP/torque level.
    If too much fuel is used, it will wash past the rings into the crank case. That will reduce oil life. The trend towards extended oil change intervals is largely driven by how efficiently EFI can meter fuel vs. a carb. Also, much better manufacturing tolerances for engines have helped a lot.

I agree about leaded fuel. That's a whole different animal.

Do I think putting 85 octane in an M3 or S2000 will ruin anything? Probably not unless it's really driven hard but if I owned one I'd use 91 or better. I use 93 in my '05 Legacy GT partly because it's chipped and partly because I tried 87 and it didn't like it.

My wife has a 99 Passat V6 and the manual asks for 91. We do put 87 in that.
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    Floridagal2, what price are you getting on the '08 highlander? Also, what options are you trying to get with that price?
  • zegzeg Member Posts: 7
    seriously hoped 08 HL would improve the 3rd row seats over previous model, but quite disappointed to see at last, it is not much bigger than before. The LTD trim does look and feel the best for the front compared to Veracruz and Pilot. The first year model of HL and Veracruz made these two nearly no bargain, HL fly out of doors and Veracruz, you just couldn't find too many 4WD. Quite impressed with Veracruz though, smooth, well refined and balanced of all three, the best for 2nd and 3rd row seaters and in audio system (Infinity). GLS appears to be the best in entry trim, with all safety features available, much more upscale compared to entry trim of HL and Pilot, if money is not much an issue, might pick between Enclave and Veracruz, they are both very quiet in cabin.
    However, the $3500 marketing support for 07 Honda Pilot simply drives the decision, the out of door price of EX-L matches listed average in Edmunds, LX bit higher in MD if you could find one. The similarly equipped 07 AWD Pilot would beats other two by $2500-4000 including Freight for LX, $5000-7000 for EX-L/LTD. No need to mention the nest resale value of the Pilot, the one does look and feel like a truck, quite rough looking inside and out, sound system/changer might be the worst in all three. Average 20 w 80% HWY, don't think other ones are much better in milage except Enclave on HWY. Except for Tysons Corner Honda, most of other dealers in DC area only had a few left.

The savings and values for Pilot surely will buy your time to see how the quality of first year production lines for HL, Veracruz, Enclave etc play out in next few years
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    1. Where were you able to drive an 08 Pilot? They haven't been released here yet. Did you mean an 07?

2. The 08 Highlander was increased in size over the 07 and earlier models so now it is the same size as the 07 Pilot. When the 08 Pilot comes out, it will be bigger than the 08 Highlander.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    08 Pilot = 07 Pilot. 09 will be model changeover.
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    Has someone compared the ride and handling on the 2008 Highlander Ltd versus the Sport?
    I read professional reviews saying the Ltd is "floaty" and "leans" in corners. Some reviews say theres is little difference between the sport and Ltd.

How does the steering feel?
    I currently own a 2003 Limited.

If there is anyone out there who has purchased a 2008 and can compare it to the 2003 limited, I would be grateful

thanks
  • nbartelsnbartels Member Posts: 2
    Getting a 2008 Toyota Highlander in two weeks; getting the Sandy Beach (essentially gold) color instead of first choice of the green. I am thinking this lighter color needs side molding but it is hard to know how it will look. Has anyone else had the molding added and how does it look?
    Also thinking of running boards, but, again, how will they look since it appears they only come in black. Anyone with experience here?
  • microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    If you get on Ebay and punch up 2008 Toyo Highlander, there are some pictures of what the body side moldings look like--you have to open up the original pics to get larger and more images. I'm ambivalent re: their look due to how short they are b/c of the large fenders. I have seen running boards in person (no pics I have seen) and they looked fine-it depends on need/tastes.
    there really isn't it is more of a price gimick than anything else. The ltd should have more std features than the sport.