Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    All manufacturers are using hard plastic nowadays. It's called cost cutting. Even high lines are doing it. Look at the door panels on a BMW 5 series. The Highlander door panels look better.
    Mack
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I am constantly surprised at how this cheap (hard plastic, metal plated plastic) look has taken over. My '83 GTI had better materials :mad:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Actually the wood in my '92 LS400 is so highly polished and finished it can easily be mistaken for a really good grade of plastic finish.
  • gdkogergdkoger Member Posts: 23
    Found this on another forum, but thought you guys would like it. The dealer told me this could not be done because of safety (wait till I show them).

There are two settings.
    Setting 1: the default is open the drivers door only if you touch the drivers side front door handle and open all doors if you touch the passenger side front door handle

Setting 2: Open all doors when either front door handle is touched.

Page 37 of the 08 HL Owner’s Manual
    Switching the door unlock function (open all doors or just the drivers door)
    It is possible to set which doors the (Smartkey) entry function unlocks

Step 1: Turn the “Engine Start/Stop” switch “OFF”

Step 2: When the indicator on the key surface is turned off, push and hold the “Unlock” button and the “Lock” button together for approximately 5 seconds.

You will hear confirmation beeps when the setting is changed.

The SmartKey settings toggle each time this operation is performed.

Soooo... you can do this and try it and if you don't like it you can change it back.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Similar procedure for the Prius with SKS. Now I open the drivers door ot the passenger door or the hatch and all the doors open.
  • riggiriggi Member Posts: 7
    We just purchased a 2008 Highlander, Silver with cloth seats, running boards, roof rails, 3rd row seats, satellite radio, auto dimming rear view mirror. When we first looked at the Highlander, we were not impressed with the interior. The 2000 Sienna that we sold before purchasing the HL had a nicer interior. The overall quality of the vehicle appears to be typical toyota, which is why we made the purchase. The ride is firm, but not harsh. At 50mph the vehicle appears to be moving at a much lower speed. My wife will begin driving the HL next week and I will drive the 2004 Camry V6.
  • jaberjaber Member Posts: 10
    Do I really need to get the alarm with the immodbolizer. Doesn't the car come with a basic alarm system when you lock it???

New Highlander Buyer
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    How do you like the running boards ? Do you find them useful or "in the way" ? I am struggling whether I should install OEM ones. Can't find HL on the dealer lot with them ...
  • havokhavok Member Posts: 18
    Almost all DVD-based Navs will play DVDs. For safety/legal reasons it is disabled but in some vehicles you can play movies while in park. Do a google search..there are hacks and modules to get it working. Also, FYI there are modules out there that give you FULL ipod interface controls through the Toyota/Lexus Nav system. Wouldn't it be a shame if you couldn't enjoy movies on the Mark Levinson system?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    For me the alarm system would be redundant because the immobilizer is a really good anti-theft system all alone. Some want the alarm system to ward off theives by the blaring of the horn and lights but that's about it.
  • marc001marc001 Member Posts: 12
    I also have running boards on my 08' Limited. I really like the look with them on. It also has the mud flaps & door guards. Looks great (Silver). I find that I don't use them to get in and out, but helps keep rocks from chipping up lower parts on doors. I would buy them if they were not included. :)
    I've been looking for Ipod Interface for the 08', but is different from the 07's. If you know of one, please post link. Or if you find bypass or hack please post.
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    Are you referring to a jack to plug in your iPod? That's the AUX port below the radio.
  • canuck17canuck17 Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2008 HL Ltd. with black exterior. I put the side step bars (chrome with rubber pads on top) on. Look very sharp IMO. Adds a lot to the exterior. Much nicer than plain color running boards.

ET
  • riggiriggi Member Posts: 7
    The running boards are useful for small children and short adults. I'm 6'2 and have no trouble entering/exiting the HL. We ordered a base model with the features that we wanted.
    At 6'2" the only thing they're good for is dirt and mud on your pant's leg about 1/3 of the way up.
  • mrvfrmrvfr Member Posts: 6
    Is there a toyota mfg block heater made specifically for the HL V-6 ?
    Yes. In Canada a block heater is installed by dealers as standard equipment on the 2008 Highlander as an additional cost. On my 2008 HL Ltd it works very well.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I think mac001 is talking about an actual iPod interface (not the AUX port) that allows you to control the iPod using the car's audio controls (i.e. the steering wheel controls). For example, Scion offers an iPod interface on most of its models, and the 2009 Murano LE will have an iPod interface and an AUX port.
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    Yes, there is.
    Sorry, I am aware of the AUX plug, but would like to view ipod songs etc....on my NAV screen. less distracting while driving.
  • plamarineplamarine Member Posts: 11
    What you want is the PIE TOY03/s Adapter.
  • wrajinderwrajinder Member Posts: 58
    I bought my Highlander ltd C/W Capet/ Cargo mats. They are really nice But in rainy days they get really dirty. These mats also do not cover all of original carpet underneath. Can any body out there suggest what kind of Floor mats or liner is best for 2008 Highlander ltd models?
  • thecannyscotthecannyscot Member Posts: 45
    does anyone know how to change the mileage display so it shows Kms instead of Miles?
  • frugalscottfrugalscott Member Posts: 1
    The on board info system on the dash can be changed from Miles to Km
    But I don't think the ODD can be changed as this is part of the security system
    However the dealer should be able to help
    If that fails Miles / .6 Have a good trip
    Thanks denverbrian, that's exactly what I want. How easy is it to take apart dash and install this PIE3 adapter?
    Is this what I want with Navigation?

2003-2007 TOYOTA TO AUXILIARY AUDIO INPUT
    Product Code: TOY03-AUX/S

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=646&bc=no

Also, is it easy to install?
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    The "All Weather" floor mats. They are rubber/plastic with raised ribs. They do a good job of trapping water and snow. They came on my 2008 HH. You can see pictures of them on the Toyota website.
    I got the www.vaistech.com one on ebay and it works great. love it.
    Thanks Jaber. Is there a certain model number?? Also, what is involved in installing?? (how do you take out nav unit?
    Thanks.
    I think it was the SL2i. I did not do it, but a car stereo store did it in about an hour. Works great.
    How do I ensure that the Music Screen stays on when playing music, as it keeps switching to the Map screen after about a minute? Any help?
  • plamarineplamarine Member Posts: 11
    No, that is just an auxiliary input. This is what you want and the best price around:

http://www.ancoauto.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=159

Don't forget you need the harness also, also for sale on the same page.

The toughest part of installation was removing the panels to get to the radio, but it is doable, just be careful.
    The January 2008 edition of Consumer Reports rates the 2008 Highlander as the top SUV with 3 row seating. They tested 14 vehicles and the Highlander narrowly rated higher than the Honda Pilot and Acura MDX. It also beat out the Hyundai Vera Cruz and Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia. However, Consumer Reports withheld a recommended rating for the Highlander due to the recent reliability issues Toyota has had with the 2007 Camry and Tundra. They would not give an automatic high reliability rating for the Highlander or Vera Cruz stating no reliability data is yet available. Possibly the new "Customer First" initiative of Toyota, of which the 2008 Highlander is the first result will address the recent "slippage in Toyota quality.

ET
  • hightechguruhightechguru Member Posts: 10
    Jaber,
    You have to press the info button on the lower right side, Select Screen Settings on the touch screen and then change the setting of Transition to NAV screen from Music.etc. Setting.

Hope this helps. :)
  • needs2noneeds2no Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 Highlander, The alarm is so sensitive that when parked on a magor st. whenever a bus passes the alarm goes off..(very annoying to me & neighbors) dealer said the only way to correct this is to disconnectthe alarm... Is it possible to correct this problem without disconnecting the system...
    I would try to pull (or cut) the shock sensor wire located by right knee on lower dash. (maybe 1/2" x 1/2" square with slots)
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    what's a magor st? A street with overhead electric trollies?
    You just quite perfectly described the location of the CAT, Cabin Air Temperature, sensor.....

I wouldn't suggest cutting those wires.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Actually the wood in my '92 LS400 is so highly polished and finished it can easily be mistaken for a really good grade of plastic finish.

ROFLMAO!!! :cry:
  • needs2noneeds2no Member Posts: 2
    I mispelled the word magor should have read "Major Roadway" now you see my spelling relates to my mechanical expertise. Thanks to all who responded
    that worked. thanks,
  • gymnbatgymnbat Member Posts: 9
    I want to install the ipod adapter mentioned above. ( If I read things correctly here the PIE model toyo3 pod/s is the one I want to interface with the nav radio.) I need the additional harness too. Could someone elaborate on where the harness plugs into the head unit? On the installation is there room under the nav and does the pie unit need to be ties down in any way? To run the cable to the center console do I need to remove the complete cup holder assembly and shift lever assembly and if so how difficult is it? Thanks ..I have a blue limited awd and so far I love it. This tweak would make the vehicle perfect for me!
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    It impressed me today.. twice. My driveway is covered with 3" of packed snow and ice ... all 260 feet of it. The HL went up and down flawlessly - couldn't hardly detect wheel spin - even with the 4-7% grade (5% overall). Just thought I'd pass this tidbit along for those interested.
  • ronedroned Member Posts: 9
    How exactly do you change the information screen (no navigation system) from miles to kilometres. I have tried but cannot find the way to do it.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    It's in the back of the book, although not a popular solution. You need to import the car to Europe and the atomic time senor will make the switch to km.
  • ronedroned Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to contact you when I need the clock changed.
  • charles4318charles4318 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2008 Hi Hybrid Ltd. Having trouble finding Side Step Bars to fit. Could you provide the source. Prefer Polished Stainless Steel Full Length. Thanks.
    I had my polished stainless steel full-length sidebars ordered and installed by my local Toyota dealer where I purchased my 2008 HL Ltd. I am from Canada and noticed they are available on the Toyota Canada website for Exterior HL accessories. I noticed the Toyota USA website only advertises running boards which pale in comparison to the side step bars. My HL Ltd is black and the side step bars really enhance the look of the vehicle.

Also body side mouldings are not available for the 2008 HL in Canada unlike the United States.
  • charles4318charles4318 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your reply. I am sure your is Black is sharp. Dealers here do not have the step bars yet. Nor do they have the color coded body moulding. Can't even find the color coded mud guards except in black. I found most of the items from other dealer's web sites. Am ordering and installing myself.

I traded in a 2006 Highlander Hybrid Sierra Gold with polished stainless steel step bars and color coded side moulding and mud guards for a Silver 2008 Highlander LTD Hybrid.

Thanks again for your reply.