Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    When I turn on heater (even without defrost), the a/c light comes on. Is this to keep the car from fogging up? Any ideas? I would prefer not to waste gas in Winter running the A/C if I don't have to.

Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you have an automatic climate control system the A/C will run all year around unless the OAT is below ~34F, approaching freezing level.

There are a few C-best options that you can have the dealer set to alleviate this.
  • sylvan2sylvan2 Member Posts: 8
    I AM NOT REALLY SURE BUT I SIMPLY CLICK THE AC BUTTON OFF.
    AND LET THE HEATING SYSTEM DO ITS THING. HAVE FOUND NO
    PROBLEMS DOING THIS. IN THE PAST WITH PREVIOUS TOYOTAS
    WE HAVE OWNED, THE AC ON WHEN FOGGING HAS OCCURED HAS HELPED BUT I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT RUN IT AT ALL TIMES.SOMETIMES
    ITS HARD TO FIGURE OUT THE LOGIC.
  • robnadarrobnadar Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market to buy a HL sports. Will appreciate if someone can explain the difference between the two and whether both mats can go together?. Which one will be better for someone driving in Chicago weather?

Thanks
  • molinemoline Member Posts: 14
    The all weather mats are rubber mats with deep ridges to keep water, salt, etc. off the carpet. The carpeted mats seem to have a waterproof backing, but the mat itself will absorb water. If you go with the all weather mats, you need to take out the carpeted mats, but it's a piece of cake to switch between the two. I bought the all weather mats for winter use in New England, and am amazed at the amount of junk (sand, salt, etc.) that they have already caught. When they get dirty, I just have to shake them off and hose them down.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2008 Highlander Limited and I bought the heavy duty rubber front mats made by Huskywhich are color matched to the interior of my vehicle.
    They have been very good as we have lots of bad New England winters up here.
  • jgantjgant Member Posts: 10
    I am in the market to purchase a new SUV and am seriously considering the 2008 Toyota Highlander, Limited. I have test driven one and really love it. My friends have recently purchased a 2008 Buick Enclave and they are raving about it. I've not yet tested the Enclave. Any advice on a comparison of these or others? Thanks.
    V/R
    Newcarbuyer7
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Be sure to check out the Buick Enclave Owners Give Us Your Report and other topics in the Buick Enclave section.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rjrieb23rjrieb23 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in an 08 Highlander LTD. However with a baby on the way would like to sit him/her in the middle of the second row. With the re-design of the second row, the middle seat appears quite narrow side to side. Anyone know if a child safety seat will fit appropriately in the middle seat position? or is it too narrow and will I need to postion the seat on the sides?
  • charles4318charles4318 Member Posts: 5
    I cannot attest to the Enclave. However, we just took delivery on a 2008 Toyota Limited Hybrid (standard All Wheel Drive) . All we can say is wow. Really classy and lots of anemities you really would not think of until you live with it for a few days. For example at night when you approach the vehicle, lights on either each door view mirror comes on automatically lighting the area with out pushing a bottom or doing any thing. Automatic fold down seats. Power rear window, power rear door, standard back up camera, an internal mirror that shows the entire rear seating area and etc etc. Plenty of power yet from day one the fuel economy exceeds the rating of 27 City and 25 Highway. We are getting real time 28.5 Highway and 29 City. This confueses me a little because it should be reverse on a Hybrid. Plus an even bigger vehicle and an all wheel drive to boot.

My comparison was a 2006 Toyota Hybrid which we also loved with excellent mileage and again the power. However the 2008 is light years ahead of the 2006 and even bigger.

Hope this has been helpful.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    I would test drive both and you alone can make that comparison decision.
    I have always had Ford pickup trucks, and now i don't really need a truck so I had my mind set on the Highlander. I did my homework reviewing Consumer Reports and test drove the Sport and the Limited. My final decision was the Limited 4x4 with all the options minus the rear DVD and the navigational system. I bought it in Sept of 07 and to date I am totally satisfied with its performance.
  • douga709douga709 Member Posts: 2
    I just leased a 2008 4wd Highlander. (At least thats what is says on the window sticker), but there is nothing in the owners manual or the website that tells how to use it. The dealer told me that I don't have to worry, when ever 4wd is called for, it will kick in. Sounds good, but I don't think I have the whole story.

Is it all-wheel or 4-wheel drive?
    It is AWD but only when all four wheels have roughly equal traction. Yeah, a lot of good that is...!!

TC, Traction Control, is using to provide "virtual" LSD capability at the normally open center diff'l and possibly the rear diff'l, but probably not at the front. Any wheel that breaks traction and spins is braked in order to sustain a high level of engine torque for distribution to the wheels with traction. At the same time the braking is used the engine will be severely dethrottled to prevent brake pad and rotor over-heating.

Basically you have a "let's pretend" AWD vehicle.
  • douga709douga709 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. It may be pretend AWD, but it still is better than my 2005 Camry that gave me trouble if the guy in front of me spit on the road.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes it's not a 4runner. It's an on-road vehicle with some technical assistance when the weather is inclement and the paved surfaces are less than perfect. It's also capable on loose-but-solid unpaved roadways.
    It
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Can anyone point me to a good picture of the Highlander in Cypress Green? There is exactly one picture of this color on the Toyota website, and it looks darker there than what I have heard it described as.

Thanks.
  • vinnyd13vinnyd13 Member Posts: 9
    Hello frugalscott. Can you explain how to change the display screen units from imperial to metric?

Thanks,
    Vince
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    I own the rare Cypress Green and I find it to be the best looking of all the colors. It is subtle - more silver/green than anything. More of a lichen. Really sharp.

See pics on my profile:

http://www.carspace.com/denverbrian

...or over at the Toyota Nation website:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum
    Great pictures, thanks!!
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    It's definitely not a 4x4 - but this is my first 4WD/AWD and I must say that I am very impressed with it so far. We've had a couple real bad storms in the north east and it has performed flawlessly. Although, I have not pushed it really hard, it was flawless on my challenging driveway in conditions that my other cars would not have been able to navigate at all, forcing me to leave them down by the road...

Over the holidays, I took it up a forest service road in my home town with 6" of fresh snow on the ground... Its a loose dirt/rock road at about a 25% grade... went up with ease and the ride down w/ DAC was interesting (but safe) if nothing else.

It's very intense when it starts beeping at you while your sliding sideways [eh em, on purpose] through a back-road intersection while it does it thing to straighten you out...

Its not a trail truck, but seems like it will handle almost anything most drivers will encounter.
  • microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    This was talked about before and I can't remember the resolution, but I think it was felt that if you put the child seat in the middle of the second row you could "borrow" the latch anchors from either side. Not sure how the child seat itself would fit in the middle position although my guess leans towards it would fit--although you would be left with less usable seats on either side. You might try it at the dealer with your car seat.

We have a 4 year old and a 6 mo. old and put them on the sides in the second row which is working well. My older daughter still uses a Britax child seat with anchors, while my younger daughter uses a Graco base that the car seat latches into. We still have room to get adults to get in the 3rd row although it's a bit of a squeeze to get by the pass through. You can use this option if you ever try doing something really crazy like having a second kid.

We have the Limited and have been very happy. I'm sensitive to mileage and for a car this size it's better than most (20-21 in 2/3 highway). The tradeoff is the third row vs. storage. When 3rd row up, very little storage is left, e.g., can't fit our standard stroller back there. However, I like the idea of having a 3rd row when needed. Hope that helps.
  • skj62skj62 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I am in market of 08 HL. I just wondering if any major problems with transmission etc..

Thanks,
    Does the front passenger seat in the base model have a height adjustment?

Thanks.
  • ellyn25ellyn25 Member Posts: 1
    I got my new 2008 Highlander Sport in August. My tire pressure indicator light has come on and I checked my 4 tires and some were a little low 28-29. I added air to 30 psi and now all 4 read 30 psi. My light still won't go off. I called the dealership and they said it's probably the spare tire. Now, the spare tire is under the car and the part without the valve is facing the ground. So am I mistaken that the only way to check the air pressure & make the light go off is to remove the tire and check it? This is insane!!! I bought a vehicle with ammenitites like remote hatch open & close and to check my tire pressure, I have to remove a tire and then strap it back up. I am somewhat mechanically inclined for a women but I'm not a weight lifter. The dealership said I could bring it in but it's 30 miles away. This is a really bad design. Does anybody now any other way to check this or has anybody else had this issue? Thanks.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You are so right. This is one dumb idea by Toyota. However, other companies have done the same thing. Our 2004 Highlander Limited had the same design and I know of no way to check the spare except to remove the tire.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    You can thank the third row seat for the spare being underneath the car.
    I don't know any way you can check this now without removing the tire. However you can install a valve stem extension to make checking and topping off the spare easier in the future. Here's one:

http://www.getagauge.com/accessories.cfm
    Alternatively, you could just reset the indicator. There is a button under the dash (I think its under the VSC switch). With the engine running press and hold the button until the light goes out. This reads the signal from each tire and resets the 'nominal value' in the computer.

Next time you are at the dealer (oil change or whatever), have them check the pressure in the spare. If you get a flat in the mean time, make the swap but also make sure your very next stop is a gas station to check the air....

Hope this helps. Agree that this is a horrid design. The valve stem extension is an excellent idea !!
  • pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    From everything I've been able to gather, the center diff on the 08 Highlander is not open as you describe. It's a viscous locking unit which is similar to what Subaru uses on their cars with manual transmissions. The RX350 has a center viscous diff and since it has the same engine and transmission as the 08 Highlander, the HL is likely the same.

Toyota does likely use the technique you described at the front and rear differentials but lots of companies do that (including Audi and Mercedes).

Audi, on their torsen based quattro cars, does not lower engine power if the brakes engage. I don't know about Toyota in this case.

We only have about 500 miles on our Highlander Sport but I've taken it in some deep snow and it did very well. I'm used to Audis and Subarus with snow tires and this was at least as good.
  • montalvomontalvo Member Posts: 52
    I've got a 2000 RX300 with 90K miles and have been dragging my feet in trading it in. Last year, I decided I'd wait for the HL re-design. After it came out, I decided I'd wait for the price to drop (it's now 3K below MSRP in my area). But now I'm thinking that since I've waited this long, why not wait for the 2009 Honda Pilot, which I hear is getting a re-design, will come out in the spring and is eight passenger instead of seven.

My primary reason for not getting another Lexus is that I don't like many features of their larger SUVs and the RX is only five passenger. We get lots of visitors who stay with us and it's inconvenient not having the extra passenger space.

Anyone care to put in their two cents on why I should finally get off the dime and buy a new HL or perhaps wait for the Pilot. (If five people put in their two cents, I won't have any excuse for not getting off the dime ;-)

Thanks,

Bob
  • lakesterlakester Member Posts: 2
    Hello Bob,

I just traded-in a 2006 HL Limited hybrid (great car) for the '08 HL Sport. Honestly I think the new car is killer but I miss the gas mileage of the hybrid. Vitrually all my miles are around town and my recent mileage was 11.9 MPG. That sucks. Fortunately I only drive about 5 miles a day so gas mileage isn't that critical for me - I just don't burn that much gas. Nevertheless it still stings a bit. Toyota says it has to do with the mixed fuel for winter. Probably true - we also have a '07 Prius and its mileage has also tanked this winter. (FYI a recent rule change required car makers to be more accurate in regards to the "posted mileage," that's a laugh. It's really diapointing.) As for waiting for the '09 Honda... I looked at the Pilot as well. Got to love the 8 passenger capacity. That said, I've never been to impressed with the Pilot design. They're to utilitarian. And the interior looks cheap. It kinda has a Hummer thing going - interior for the manly man. Great if you're 16. They simply don't have the same design bazazz as the HL. Maybe that will change with the '09 but I wouldn't hold my breath. Hope that helps.

Lake
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I had the same experience with my 4Runner. All 4 tires were fine; it was the spare that was low.

On the plus side, 1) it was better finding out that the spare was low when I didn't need to use it, versus getting stuck with a flat spare; and 2) it forced me to practice lowering the spare, so if I ever do need to use it, I'll have no problem knowing exactly what to do.

My spare has gone low only once in over three years, so it's not a big inconvenience for me.
    1. The backup camera lens is a dirt magnet and it is totally useless in the rain. My friend has a backup camera on his 07 Sienna and he seemed to think I was speaking greek when I was complaining about it to him. Next time I am over to his place, I have to remember to compare the lens setup. I am thinking that it is due to the angle in which it is mounted.

2. The "seat belt not fastened" beep is driving me nuts. Look, I am not an idiot, I wear my seat belt all the time (when on the road). I know when the belt is on or not, and if I should be asleep and forget, there's a big red light flashing at me!!! None of my other Toyota's had this beep. My driveway is over 300' long, every night when I return home I pull in to the bottom of the driveway and check my mailbox. Then I get to listen to the truck serenade me all the way into the garage. I also use the utility side of this vehicle to tow a trailer... sometimes requiring a lot of maneuvering in very tight places, the "beep---beep---beep---beep-beep-beep" is sooooo distracting!! Anyone know a way to disable just the drivers seat belt 'beep' without having to belt up?

3. The interior plastic seems to scratch very easily. After 8 years of driving the same car and not having a scratch in it, after just 3 months I've lost count. Most of them are on the interior door panels (I'm not even counting the ones in the rear cargo area - which I expected to have anyway). I should mention, there's never been a kid in this car !

Gas Mileage:
    E10 mixed: 19-20 MPG
    E10 highway: 22 MPG
    E10 towing (mixed): 10-13 MPG

Pure Gasoline highway: 24.5-26 MPG (no ethanol)

Too bad I can only get E10 in the county where I live... I still think the shift points are set wrong (too aggressive), but have basically accepted it.

Otherwise, I am very, very happy with my 08 HL Limited.
  • montalvomontalvo Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the input, lakester. I'm surprised by your mileage experience. Am I correct in assuming that what you call "mixed fuel for winter" is a gas/ethanol mix? We don't use much of that here in CA and I'm hopeful that pure gas mileage would be significantly higher. (My old Lexus gets about 20 MPG in mixed driving.) I've run the numbers on a hybrid. Regardless how high gas prices soar, there's no way I (or anyone else) would ever get a payback on the hybrid's higher cost through gas savings (assuming you include the time-value of money in the calculation).

While the new Pilot design might well have improved quality and a less utilitarian design, it's probably reasonable to think that Honda won't significantly change the focus on an SUV that's had strong sales. I probably should spend more time looking at the 2008 to see how objectionable it looks to me. Appearance isn't at the top of my wish-list but I don't want a car that I or others will regard as butt-ugly!

Bob
    You just named one of the reasons we keep our 94 AWD Aerostar around, driven very little, upkeep is minimum, can seat 7 passengers comfortably (8 if you buy an extra full width bench seat) and has a STELLAR R/AWD system. Excllent snow-ski hauler.

For all other times the '01 AWD RX300 is just perfect. Well, maybe perfect is just a tad too strong.
    While Lexus has continued to advertise otherwise the VC was discontinued after the RX300 model run.

Should anyone wish to take them to court for fraudulent advertising all the evidence you would need can be had at techinfo.toyota.com
    Honda is hardly adverse to making major changes to successful vehicles....look at the recent Civic and CR-V redesigns. I expect the 09 Pilot to be at least as different from the current model as the 08 Highlander is from its predecessor.

If you don't absolutely need to buy now, I would definitely wait and see what Honda has up its sleeve. Of course, there will probably be a price premium involved in being an early purchaser of the new Pilot because it will likely fetch near-MSRP for a while, vs. the discounting already occurring with Highlander.
  • lakesterlakester Member Posts: 2
    Hello Bob,

You're correct, I meant reformulated fuel. I'm in OR and I don't even know for sure if we're using it up here. I just took their word for it. Now you got me thinking. But the low mileage is disappointing. I'm hoping it will improve once the engine breaks-in (presently at about 600). Other than the mileage, I really like the car. It took a while for the design to grow on me but now I can't take my eyes off it (I think it's partly the color - Iced Amethyst Mica - looks like something Big Daddy Ed Roth would have made). That said, I must be getting old, I never thought I would be diggin a SUV. Amoung the long-term cars I drove a '62 Volvo P1800 for 16 years and a '84 300ZX for 10.

Lake
  • jvacekjvacek Member Posts: 1
    Bob, i had a 2001 acura mdx with 104k miles that got 21mpg. i loved the car but did not go for a 2008 mdx due to gas mileage info on the new model. i spent considerable time comparing the lexus rx 400h vs highlander limited hybrid (both 2008 models) and went with the HLH. i'm delighted. just as luxurious as the lexus, much newer technology, better milaege, 3 seats, etc. highly recommended. so far mileage about 26mpg. i don't think the pilot is in the same class.

forgot to mention, the highlander hybrid takes regular octane gas, the lexus premium. so off the top you save 15-20 cents per gallon.
    Sorry but you're incorrect here. Techinfo.toyota.com states that the 2008 Highlander uses an MF2A transfer case. If you look into the specs on that transfer unit you'll find it uses a viscous clutch. Here's a link about it:

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Toyota/Toyota_Transfer_Units.htm

The Highlader does not use the brakes to transfer torque between the front and rear axles like the Mercedes 4-matic system does.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Where do you see that MF2A uses a viscous clutch? From the link that you provided

MF2A ->Viscous Coupling Location->None - Acts as a center differential
    Since you have access to techinfo.toyota.com go to the 2008 Highlander "Transfer Assembly: Components (2008 Highlander): MF2A TRANSFER: transfer assembly.

Look closely at the part labelled "transfer ring gear mounting case" at the very bottom of the page.

Now go to the same component assembly diagram/breakout for the 2003 RX300 and note that the very "same" component is labelled "Center Differential Control Coupling".
  • chrlychrly Member Posts: 2
    The VSC light came on in the dash. What can cause this? How can I turn it off?
  • pickles99pickles99 Member Posts: 1
    Toyota's website as well as others says that the width of the 2008 Highlander is 75.2 inches. Does anyone know if this includes the mirrors or not? I know it sounds odd, but we live in an older home with a "slim" garage. And, while I'm in love with this car, I don't want to buy it if it doesn't fit in the garage. Thanks for your help.
  • chrlychrly Member Posts: 2
    My VSC and Check engine lights came on. What cause these lights to come on? how can I turn them off?
    There are "viscous couplings" and "viscous lockup differentials". The two are not the same. A viscous coupling is a device that allows the rear axle to be slowly engaged if the front wheels start to slip. This is what the RAV4 uses now and is primarily FWD. It will act similarly to the Haldex clutch system the Audi TT, Volvo and CX9 use.

There are also differentials where viscous fluid is used as a lockup device. They allow enough speed differential on either side to not impede normal cornering but will start to lock up the front and rear axles if there is too much spin at one end or another. They have a steady state torque distribution of 50:50. This is what Subaru uses in many of their cars and this is also what the Highlander and RX350 have.

If you have an address in techinfo.toyota.com or some other info that shows the Highlander having a totally open center differential, I'd like to see it. I've seen nothing that says the brakes are used to distribute torque fore and aft. Further, having actually driven it in some heavy snow, I noticed no bogging or slipping.
    That dimension does not include the mirrors. Sorry.
    From techinfo.toyota.com:

2004 Highlander New Car features, page 556
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    4WD system.

1. General

* The 4WD model of the '04 Highlander has discontinued the viscous coupling in the center differential.

* This system, which has adopted front and center differentials with bevel gears, employs TRAC control in order to assure proper drive when a wheel slips, without the use of an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) mechanism in the center differential. Thus, a lightweight system that offers high level of driving stability and drivability. has been realized.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The same page indicates the new transfer type as being an MF2A whereas the old one is a MF2AV
    Ok, I apologize. I was going on the assumption that the RX350 and 08 Highlander have the same exact drivetrain. Techinfo shows the 07 RX350 as using the MF2AV where as the previous years used the MF2A.
    No good reason to apologize, but...

You were basically correct, the RX330, RX350, the HL, and the Sienna all share the exact same AWD drive train.

If you look at the RX350 transfer case component diagram/layout you will note that it also does not include a VC.

Or go to techinfo.toyota.com and look up the 2004 RX330.

-------------------------------------------------

CH-36 CHASSIS ---- 4WD SYSTEM

4WD SYSTEM

# DESCRIPTION

* The 4WD model of the '04 RX330 has adopted a full-time 4WD system that constantly distributes torque at a ratio of 50:50 to the front and rear axles.

* This system, which has adopted front and center differentials with bevel gears, employs TRAC control in order to ensure the proper drive when a wheel slips,.....

------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes things are NEVER as they at first seem.