Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The new car features for the '07 AWD RX350 quite clearly states that the MF2AV transfer is to be used, pictorials and everything.

But "NCF" New Car Features, is the ONLY place the term MF2AV is found.

Search for MF2A and it finds the repair manuals and those indicate that the MF2AV is NOT used.

What gives...??

Anyone know..??
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Press the MENU panel button, touch SETUP, then touch 'km' and 'OK' at the bottom of the screen to confirm your selection. When this is done your route guidance will be kilometers along with your ETA.
    The system does not provide text to speech for surface streets... so it will not tell you to turn right on Main St.

It will, however, say the state route (SR) or interstate numbers such as "I-405" or "California 91."
    Press the push to talk (PTT) switch on the steering wheel and touch/ or say 'HELP' for a list of voice commands the system will understand. The navigation quick guide has a list of commands you can use to find an AMT/Hotel/Gas Station/Fast Food/etc, enter an address or control the audio features.

Make sure to wait for the system to 'beep' before saying the voice command. Otherwise you will get weird responses.
    Can I be that...??

Once you have all the hardware components/capability in place to support VSC then all you need for TRAC is a bit of firmware.

And once you take that step the VC is seemingly redundent.

I'm pretty sure my '01 AWD RX300 has that extra TRAC firmware implemented. If I try to accelerate quickly in a straight line fashion but on a slippery surface I can hear and feel the brakes being applied and the engine is dethrottled via fuel cut simultaneously.
    1. After pushing the push to talk (PTT) switch you must wait for the beep.

2. The DVD-ROM in the AVN does not play DVD-Video.

3. You can turn off the annoying voice prompts when inputting an address by doing the following: Press the MENU panel button, touch 'Setup', scroll down to page 2 of 3 and touch 'OFF' by Voice Recognition Guidance. Be sure to touch 'OK' at the bottom of the page to confirm your selections. Otherwise it won't save your selections. When this has been done the system will beep and display a small window with some generic prompts.
  • pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    This is the first Toyota I've ever owned and I'm discovering they're a pretty strange company between their lack of discussion on AWD systems and the whole distribution system they use in the US. I've previously owned Subarus, Audis and VW's and all were pretty up front about how their AWD systems work. Honda is upfront about it also. Even the owner's manual is really dumbed down. My 05 Legacy's manual even gives how tos on standard maintenance like oil changes.

I like the 08 HL a lot but Toyota leaves a bit to be desired as a company. *shrug*
  • montalvomontalvo Member Posts: 52
    Thanks, smith1, that's a helpful observation. I'm not desperate to get rid of my Lexus, although my wife is looking at hosting a July Fourth reunion that would make greater passenger capacity a real plus. And as for the pricing, if the recession is in full bloom at that time, Honda might be more willing to deal than is usually the case for a re-designed model.

Bob
  • montalvomontalvo Member Posts: 52
    I know what you mean about SUVs, Lake. Being raised in L.A., I used to be a car nut and owned everything from a Ford Model A to a Mazda RX-7. But the utility of an SUV would now be pretty hard to give up. Besides, when I've been good, my wife lets me drive her Jaguar XK-8.

Bob
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    The scuttlebut seems to be that Honda will unveil the 09 Pilot at the Detroit Auto Show in a couple of weeks, and start selling it in May. It will likely look something like this:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/3916

Assuming it is an appealing redesign, there will be a lot of pent-up demand by the time it launches, so even if we're in a recession I suspect dealers will be getting MSRP for a while. This almost always happens with new Hondas.
  • vinnyd13vinnyd13 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks navguy, but I only have the regular display screen; no NAV system.

V
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    The '09 Pilot (Concept) was just unveiled in Detroit:

Honda PR photos

All I can say is that I hope the final version looks better in person. :surprise:

On the plus side, the 3rd row is split, and it looks like there is much more room behind the 3rd row than the Highlander. The press release doesn't say whether the Pilot got bigger, or how much bigger, than the previous generation.

It makes the Highlander look smooth and refined in comparison.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Wow, that is one ugly box.
    Wow, that is one ugly box.

That was my first reaction too.

On the other hand, my first reaction to the new Highlander was negative. It took a little while (and I had to see it in person) before the '08 redesign grew on me.

The '09 Murano grabbed me when I first saw it, but my excitement has waned since then.

Everyone raves about the design of the CX-9, but it doesn't thrill me. So far, the styling of the Enclave appeals to me the most, but it's just too big for my needs.
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    Greetings:
    I purchased new Highlander 08 in October. Purchased nice floor mats and rear cargo mat at WeatherTech.com. Purchased the mats that help hold ice and snow and rear cargo mat has nice lip to hold some debris and other nasty stuff found in winter driving. I live in Michigan and can relate to your issues in Chicago.
    Very nice mats and I was pleased with fast delivery and materials of construction. Should last a long time.
    Thanks for the tip on door locks.
    What other forum did you find this and other information at?
    Where did you purchase step up's for your Highlander? What brand? Running boards are useless in Michigan winter. They capture snow and ice on them and it makes them pretty nasty. Would like to get some nice chrome "nerf" bars but can't find dealers who have them to fit 2008 Highlander in Michigan area yet.
  • canuck17canuck17 Member Posts: 28
    I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and I purchased the stainless steel side step bars from the dealership I purchased my 2008 HL Ltd. They also installed them for me. They are available as accessories on the Toyota Canada website.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Just want to say I am now a happy owner of an 08 Highlander Limited. Please do not think I'm crazy, but I bought a 08 RAV4 Limited in October and traded this past weekend for the Highlander.
    When I was looking for an SUV, I had an 05 Avalon. Going from that to the RAV4 was very different, but I thought I could get use to it. Well, after three months, I realized that I missed all the luxury that my Avalon had. I must say that the Highlander actually rides even better than the Avalon, and it has even more features on it.
    The Highlander is very quiet, smooth, and fits me much better. Being 6'2, I have more leg room.
    The Blizzard Pearl is a beautiful color for the Highlander, and I am so pleased with it. I guess I am somewhat spoiled, but I knew this was a better SUV for me than the RAV4.
    The dealership actually told me that this happens alot. People sometimes keep a car for only weeks, and realize they have made a mistake, and then correct it with something else.
    As far as gas mileage, I do not know how much differance it will be, but I was only getting about 17 -19 mixed driving with the Rav4. From other post, the Highlander is actually getting the same if not better.
    I am an extremely happen Toyota owner again!! I have had nine, so I am a big fan and prefer to drive nothing else!
    Have a great day in Highlander land!

Ronn
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    I agree, the '09 Pilot concept looks ugly. Also, what's with the tiny looking front seats? The console looks almost as wide as the seats themselves. What's the use of all that interior space if you are going to be cramped into a tiny front seat surrounded by a huge dashboard and console?
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    I recently purchased a new 2008 Highlander Limited, pretty well loaded, and I love the car so far....just great!! I did get both the Nav system and the rear DVD, and have been slowly learning how to use the nav with all the commands. I have also been using the hands free phone quite a bit, and have heard from those I am speaking with that the quality of my transmission is just ok....sounds distant, a little scratchy, etc. I do have AT&T and in almost all cases the signal strength showed very high....not a bad cell zone. Talking to the same people on just the cell phone seems to be much better quality. My question is, is that just the price of using hands free....not real good call reception on the other end?? The sound I am getting in the car over the speakers is excellent.
  • tri_bikertri_biker Member Posts: 35
    Same situation as you. Owner's manual says "see dealer" for additional set-up. Can't imagine my local Toronto dealer is going to give me much help on my US-spec HL. Might log into the Toyota Techinfo site. There has to be a way! This whole Farenheit thing is driving me nuts!!!
    Greetings:
    The Buick was also in the running during my vehicle search in October of 2007. It was a nice vehicle, but in my opinion, you could not see very well all around the vehicle like you can in the Highlander. New Highlander is great so far. Very peppy engine and reasonable gas miles for this size vehicle. I purchased the Limited with HD engine cooler and set up for towing, 4-wheel drive. This was my first SUV purchase and friendly mechanic in my area is as sad as Maytag repairman. He said "do not purchase Toyota, I will NEVER see you again". (ha-ha). Very disappointed in former GM purchases because dealership forgot who I was after I left with new GM product. Not so with Toyota guys. I test drove Enclave for one whole afternoon before making decision. So far, NOT sorry at all.
    Good luck.
    Has anyone experienced a hard time stopping new 2008 HL? The vehicle seems to coast forever when taking your foot off the gas in preparation to stop at traffic light or stop sign. It seems like I need to depress the breaks pretty "firm" to get to a complete stop. MPG so far is running about 17.5 in city, and as high as 22 on expressway driving. Not too bad for Winter driving in Michigan with blended fuel. Dealer indicates better fuel economy will come with different blend of gas in Spring and Summer. Time will tell.
    Any thoughts on the stopping situation experience from fellow HL owners? I have Blizzard Pearl with tan interior - Limited. So far, so good. Vehicle is all that I expected it to be.
    I hear ya on the Pilot console. OTOH this seems to be a general trend....I sat in a new Tundra a couple of months ago, this enormously wide vehicle had a front console so huge you could put a refrigerator in it....and the front seats were no wider than those in a RAV4.
    Your dealer is right about the MPG....winter fuel formula causes a significant drop. My 07 Avalon (same drivetrain as new HL) is getting about 3 mpg worse mileage right now than it did in the warmer months.
    Can anyone tell me how you can keep the screen on at all times? I like to see the text and what's playing. I figured out how to show the text, such as the title of a song, but the screen does not stay on. It will go off on the NAV. Thanks for any help.
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    This might be taboo, since doing a search for kbb and kellys blue book didn't return any results, but I'll ask anyway! :blush:

Does anyone know why the KBB invoice on a base 4x2 sport is almost $1,900 less than Edmunds? I trust Edmunds moreso than KBB, but was curious about this discrepancy. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Kelley? Never heard of them. :shades:

A quick scan of the Edmunds, KBB, NADA pros and cons discussion didn't flop up an answer.

The Edmunds.com TMV® vs. Kelley Blue Book (KBB) doesn't really answer the question either.

It probably relates to whether certain charges are included like destination ($1,900 is a big difference though):

What is the “invoice price?"

Seems like I saw a better answer a couple of years ago; maybe it'll come to me.

Are you searching for a Toyota in the Gulf States or Southeast distribution region? (link)
    I live in the SE region, but am just over the border from TN, so I'm purchasing from the Cincinnati group in TN. ;)

Another intersting fact, consumer reports gives the same invoice as KBB. I still trust the Edmunds number, but curiosity is killing the cat!
    Perhaps the data people haven't verified their sources yet. You can go to the Help link and use the Contact Us form and someone in the home office could tell you.
  • vinnyd13vinnyd13 Member Posts: 9
    I emailed Toyota and they said it can't be done. Somehow there has to be a way!
    :blush: User error. I think I might have keyed the number into my spreadsheet incorrectly. I looked today and Edmund's invoice was the same. OOPS! :blush:
    Or maybe our team of crack IT folks secretly logged into your computer last night and changed your spreadsheet. ;)

Your user name reminds me of Pink Floyd btw.
  • 1highlander1highlander Member Posts: 1
    Is there an over-ride that will allow the "recirculating" air features to stay engaged. It seems that on my'08 base model highlander (w/manual front and rear hvac) the recirculating button will stay lit for only 3 minutes and then revert to outside air. (regardless whether the heat is off or on---outside temp below 45 degrees). Depress the recirculating button again and it will stay on for only another 3 minutes and turn off. Despite the all knowing hvac computer knowing best, there are time when the recirculating feature is more desirable for periods beyond 3 minutes i.e. getting into a cold car, driving behind a smoke spewing vehicle, driving in cow country or the refinery corridor on the NJ Turnpike. Is there an over-ride? Is this SOP? Do I have a defective unit? Toyota customer servicer said that setting the heat to "defrost+heat to feet" with the temp knob extreme right would override it, but to no avail--it doesn't work!
    Pink Floyd? :shades: How so?

I actually came up with it while I was in grad school years ago. Oxymoron! ;)
    "We don't need no edukation." :-)

(it's nice having you around however)
    :shades: I haven't thought of that song in years! Ok, sorry, back on topic!
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    I can only guess that maybe they are concerned with the recirc staying on too long and possibly fogging up the interior glass. I find that air gets stale pretty quickly when that is used, and in the winter I would imagine also get pretty humid quickly. I think Toyota has programmed in more to these systems than in the past.....I have a 2002 Sequoia and a 2000 Lexus, and neither seems as controlled as the new Highlander (I also have a 2008)
    Glad you chose Toyota over the Buick... GM cars have a big problem with electrical systems! Especially the Buicks, with all the stuff they have.

Question.....I just bought a Highlander Limited, and I love it! Do you know how to keep the audio screen on with the Nav..... I like to see the Text of the music playing, and my screen doesn't stay on. Is there a way to continue showing the music station screen with the text?

Thanks for any help?

Ronn
    Toyota service centers can alter some aspects of HVAC system behavior from the factory defaults using their diagnostic scan tool. I'm pretty sure that recirculation parameters are adjustable in some way, but I don't know if the specific issue you describe can be changed. It's worth looking into.
    Greetings:

Sorry to say, I did not get the NAV system with my 2008 Highlander Limited. Darn thing has just about everything else though. Do not have any little kids in household, thus I did not get the DVD/NAV system. By chance, the Limited I did find on my dealer lot had all features that were must have including the hard to find Blizzard Pearl White paint job. Good luck with your question though . . .

Do you find vehicle slow in responsiveness to slow down when you take foot off the gas in preparation to stop at stop sign or red light? I feel as though I really need to hit the brakes rather "firmly" on this vehicle. Light rolling resistance maybe?

Cheers.
    Hey...thanks for the reply. Maybe somebody out there with the nav can help me with my question.

I have not noticed the slow responsiveness that you are referring to, but haven't really given it alot of thought. It is a solid heavy SUV, so maybe that is why it is moving along until the brakes are hit firmly. I will pay attention today to that.

Do you get alot of looks with the Blizzard Pearl? I do !!! I have had many folks stop and tell me what a gorgeous car this is.

Enjoy it.... It really rides better than my 2005 Avalon...one fun awesome SUV

Have a great day.

Ronn
  • jgantjgant Member Posts: 10
    I appreciate your note of Jan 15 about the Buick and your Highlander purchase. I'm seriously looking at the '08 Highlander. Our close friends, he's about 6'4" (so likes cars with space) recently purchased a '08 Buick Enclave. They rave about it. However they've always bought GM don't think they'll ever buy foreign. I was planning to test drive an Enclave to compare. I have looked at one on the lot and what I noticed (same on the GMC Acadia), was that there was no transmission hump so the floor in the back seat area was flat across. What this seemed to create was that when you sat in the back seats, you felt like you knees where in your chest, and I'm only 5'6". I'm sure taller people would find this uncomfortable.
    May I ask what other things you did not like with the Buick vs. the Highlander? Thanks.
    During wintertime driving the very BEST way to operate a Toyota or Lexus climate control system is to turn the A/C compressor off(***), totally and completely, switch the airflow mode to footwell and windshield combined air flow and then set, maintain, your temperature setpoint to your own personal comfort level, or that of your passenger(s). Ignore the actual temperature setting "number", it my case it seemed to be above 75F in order for the cabin to be a comfortable 70-72F.

Saturday morning I drove home, Portland to Seattle eastside, ~200 miles, temperature hovering around 34-36, overcast and light snow flurries the full way.

The significant level of warm airflow diverted to the windshield surface helped to keep mine and my wife's upper body warm. Otherwise NipponDenso, Denso US' unique dual layer airflow would have left our upper body subject only to the radiant cooling effects of the surrounding landscape amd more likely than not an encounter, an episode, with sudden and unexpected windshield fogging.

*** In earlier times I resorted to unplugging the a/c clutch circuit.

In my '92 LS400 I added a "winter mode" operational switch so the OAT sensor always indicated sub-freezing conditions during the winter months. Lexus disables the A/C entirely if the OAT is below ~35F.

My '01 AWD RX300 has two c-best optional settings that address this issue. one of those allows you to disable the A/C indefinitely by simply switching it off manually one time. The second unlinks the A/C from operating automatically (with no A/C "on" indication) in defrost/defog/demist mode.

Later Lexus model have additional C-best options, one that prevents the system from automatically switching into cooling mode when the cabin temperature rises to within a few degrees of your temperature setpoint. A bit discomforting, that.

I notice that '08 models automatically switch to heating, footwell airflow with slight flow to the windshield, once OAT declines to the point of the A/C being disabled.

Previous models are prone, HIGHLY prone, to instances of sudden windshield fogging when the A/C is automatically disabled as the OAT declines below ~35F.

'90 LS400 to '08 models, 18 years and they still haven't gotten it "right".

That's what they meant by...

"Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"

Relentless = NEVER getting to your goal(s).

Do you suppose that's why they changed it too....??:

"Passionate Pursuit of Perfection"
    Hi...I didn't test drive the Buick Enclave, but I had a freind that did. She is short and said there were alot of blind spots. She also had heard that Buick has alot of issues with electrical problems. I have 2 freinds with Buicks, and they have both had lots of computer electrical issues. Lights that come on, and then nothing shows that there is a problem. The one freind has replaced to computer chips that cost over 500.00 to replace, and then after doing that, the lights came on again. That car is now for sale!

I have had 8 Toyotas, and I have never had any electrical issues are problems with them. The resale on a Toyota is something to also consider. It is much higher than a Buick. The quality, fit and finish in my opinion can't be beat!! Good luck on whatever you choose.

I will add that freinds of mine rode in the Highlander 08 Limited of mine today, and they both have Lexus. They said the Highlander was as quiet, smooth, and had all the luxury they have. They were totally impressed with this SUV, and loved the look of both the interior and exterior!
    Personally, I prefer the styling of the GM CUVs (i.e. Enclave) over the Highlander, Murano, CX-9, and the upcoming '09 Pilot. GM seems to have found a good blend of rounded, sleek lines and squarish-utility. I want my SUV to look more like a truck -- otherwise I'd buy a station wagon.

My problem with the Enclave is that it's too large for my needs. I really don't need a 7-seater. The Murano and the Highlander are about the same length as my 4Runner, and that's about as large as I want to get.

Speaking of my 4Runner, I did have an electrical issue with a side airbag sensor that required my entire driver's seat to be replaced, so Toyotas aren't immune from electrical problems. I've also had several rattles and poor fitting interior trim that required multiple visits to the dealer to correct. I'm still happy with it, but I'm well aware that Toyotas have their challenges too -- hopefully less so than other manufacturers, though.
    Did you look at the Mitsu. Outlander? Alot of people like those. I drove one, the ride was okay, but the Rav4 ride was better. Have you tried the RAV4? It probably isn't as large an SUV that you want. It handles great though, and they are selling like crazy! I will say the Enclave looks good except I don't like that grill that Buick uses in the front! Ugly to me. The back of the Enclave looks sharp.

Highlander made the #2 SUV for sales in December, so it is very popular and has excellent reviews. I do love mine......I actually hate to get out of it. I just want to drive and drive!!!

Good luck with your choice. I hope you get the Highlander!!
  • achadha1achadha1 Member Posts: 65
    I have been researching a new SUV to replace my 2003 Murano. The new Murano is nice but I just don't see enough on the outside to purchase the 09 it just looks to close to the current. I am stuck between the MDX and Highlander. A few months ago I was pretty much sold on the MDX but the Highlander has grown on me and looks very sharp. One of my favorite features of the car are the nice rims especially the ones on the Sport. I can't really find out the main differences between the Limited and the Sport except for some additonial standard items on the Limited. Anyone have a list of differences or know the differences? I am interested in the Sport with the NAV

Thanks
    The Outlander and the RAV4 are both on the small side. The Highlander is "just right" for me. One thing I did like about the Outlander was the 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, but it seems like Mitsubishi's resale value -- in general -- isn't as good as Toyota's.

I'm currently debating between the '09 Murano and the Highlander. The former is just starting to trickle in to dealerships, so I hope to test drive one soon.