Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey, I recently purchased the Highlander Limited, but I drove both the Sport and Limited. I compared on line the differences as far as options, and they come close, however the Limited has a more cushion ride than the Sport. I felt more bumps and a more stiff ride with the Sport, and tighter steering. The Limited does have the push start which is nice until the keyfob battery goes out. Always have extra batteries with you. I learned this with the Avalon. One morning I got in the Avalon, and the thing wouldn't start. Luckily I had my other keypod in the house, and I was home and not out somewhere.
    Many prefer the Sport with the different suspension and steering , but coming from an Avalon I felt more at home with the Limited. If you don't care about Leather seats in the Sport, you can save some money there, and get most everything else the Limited has as well.
    They are both great SUV's, and I hope you decide to get one. I cannot tell you the number of people that have stopped me and told me how beautiful and sharp this SUV is. I bought the Blizzard Pearl with gray interior, and I love it. I never want to leave this car!!
    The MDX is also a great SUV, I drove one several years ago, but I think it is still more pricey, and I have always owned Toyotas. My dealership has always taken great care of me...and I use one mechanic for oil changes and check ups which is all I've ever needed.
    Best of luck. You would love the Highlander. Hope you get one!!!

Ronn
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I'm surprised at the Ads Toyota is running here in the SE. Not sure if it is regional thing or not. They are offering the New 08 HL for $289/m, 4 yr, 1999 down. Didn't catch the model but that's still lower than a 03 HL I leased and it was a strippo model 2wd.
    Is that a sign they are not selling well? I have yet to see one on the road here.
  • achadha1achadha1 Member Posts: 65
    I think it has more to do with the economy instead of the car not selling. The auto market is the slowest it has been in a while so i think most cars can be had for near invoice just depends on the area of the country as well
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Plus, it's winter -- the slowest season for car sales even in good years.
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    Has anyone driven an AWD Highlander on the beach with areas of deep/soft sand? I presently have a 2002 4WD Sequoia and never have needed to lock the center differential. The 2008 Seqoia would be more vehicle than I need/want, but we do frequently go out on the beaches in the warm weather. I have a friend with a Pilot that is several years old and it handles the sand well.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Here's a list of features by trim level from Toyota's pressroom site:
    2008 Highlander Features (PDF)

From memory, I think the main features that are exclusive to the Limited are:

Puddle lamps on the mirrors
    Smart Key
    Door scuff plates (metal)
    Satin wood-grain trim
    Chrome door handles
    Auto-dimming rear view mirror
    Power front passenger seat

There are also minor exterior trim differences between the Sport and Limited (e.g. Sport has smoked headlights and dark accents on the wheels).

I noticed you were also considering the '09 Murano. That's what I'm debating right now -- Highlander or Murano.

I took my Murano test drive today and I was very impressed with the interior. The materials are noticeably better than the Highlander.

Where the Highlander has that mouse-fuzz headliner, the Murano uses a nice woven cloth (that extends down the pillars as well, like an Infiniti or Lexus). The Highlander has a nicely textured dashboard, but it's hard to the touch. The Murano's dashboard and upper door trim are all padded.

It's a really tough decision for me -- the Highlander is the "safer" choice, as I've used the same dealer (and salesperson) for my last two vehicles and I'm pretty confident in Toyota's reliability and resale value. I guess it's good to have options. :)
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I have a RX300 and its not going to do very good in deep/soft sand. If you air down the tires it will do a little better. It's really not meant to do much of that type of off roading. I do take it to the OBX of NC and go onto the beach, but I limit the amount of time I spend in the deep/soft sand. It can bog down if you're not careful.

It will do short distances if you don't stop much, but you have to remember there is no protection on the undercarriage. I have broken the flexible part of the exhaust twice while off roading, it cost around 100 to fix. Many parts of the engine are not well protected on crossovers in general so you can easily mess up your AC or other valuable components.

If you do use it offroad in the sand, just be careful, bring tow straps and a shovel. Its not going to go as far as the Seqoia. I have high centered my rx once in a few dozen trips off road.
  • hightechguruhightechguru Member Posts: 10
    You have to press the info button on the lower right side, Select Screen Settings on the touch screen and then change the setting of Transition to NAV screen from Music.etc. Setting.

Hope this helps :)
  • dbaladbala Member Posts: 1
    I’m looking for a used 2005 or a 2006 Toyota Highlander 2.4 – 4 Cylinder AWD. Anyone had any major issues with these models? Anything I should particularly pay attention when test driving these vehicle?

Appreciate your tips.
    Dan
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Good luck! Toyota hardly made any in this formulation. What's worse is the market that bought these tend to keep them a long time.
    From what I've heard they are pretty much bulletproof -- another reason you won't find many on the used market. You should look at 6 cyl models as well -- they are peppier, more abundant, and equally bulletproof. The real-world gas mileage penalty for the V6 is not as great as you would think -- the 4 cyl is a bit strained in this application.
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    I'm looking to buy an '08 Highlander with DVD Rear Entertainment. I'ved noticed that there are 2 selections one is 9" DVD Entertainment System and the other is 9" DVD Entertainment System w/SRAT. I want to know what does SRAT means and what is the difference between both? And, also which one do you guys suggest I get.
  • bsmestadbsmestad Member Posts: 9
    I have to drive in a soft clay area every once in a while, and it sucked. Turning off the traction control helped a little, but not enough that i didn't have to rock it out like 5 times. I'm not going to say I know as much as the people on here who talk about how the AWD works, but I can say that my ancient Tahoe 4WD does a 100 times better than the highlander does.
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    Can someone with access to the toyota site see if there is a way to just disable the drivers seat seatbelt beep, I do not want to disable the light, just the beep. Also, don't want to disable any other audible warnings...

This thing is driving me nuts!!! :sick:

Thanks so much!
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Did Toyota claim that the HL was designed to be driven off road?
  • tildedotcomtildedotcom Member Posts: 1
    I have the SAME EXACT problem with my Highlander Hybrid '08. It really stinks, literally. I have allergies and a sensitivity to smells. I was told by the dealership service department that it is a built-in humidistat, which seems like bull crap as this is the BASE level AC system AND it does not stay on even with the air conditioning on.

I am VERY upset by this.
  • firefourfirefour Member Posts: 2
    Put your seatbelt on. If you have seen as many fatal ejections from vehicles as I have you would never drive without a belt on. The latest was a 19 yr old female honor student. She is now on a respirator in a vegitative state. She was the driver and was ejected thru the passenger side window. The occupants of the other vehicle who were belted were checked at the ER and released within two hrs. This was a headon collision. Do you and your loved ones a favor and wear it.
  • firefourfirefour Member Posts: 2
    I own the same vehicle, same color and interior also. Its awesome. Yes, people love it and the color is wild in the sunlight.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Read the information about their EED at airsept.com. You may be able to fit one of these in your HL.

Meanwhile if you can park inside each night and lower the windows overnight each and EVERY night that will aid tremendously in keeping the A/C evaporator and plenum area dry and free of mould and mildew.

Google:

wwest demist denso
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I had a Jeep GC and it went anywhere but it was more of a truck with a 4wd not AWD, it had a low range, skid plates, etc... The Tahoo, 4runner, Sequoia are all trucks and can be equiped with 4wd which does much better the AWD. There's already discussions about which 4wd is better. The AWD's are inferior to 4wd at off roading since they are designed to be mostly onroad.

I would never dream of taking any crossover for aggressive off roading, but I think some light off roading is not generally harmful. I've seen front drive sedans out at the beach a few times.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Put your seatbelt on.

Of course, that is excellent and sound advice. I will note, however, that the OP gave no indication that he would not be using the seatbelt.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I don't know if they could be classified as "cross-overs", but insofar as an adequate or better AWD is concerned the BMW X-3/5 or maybe even the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system would be a good fit in my judgment.

I classify off-road as more like the boulder climbing sports type charactors out there.

Not just wintertime conditions but year 'round there are lots of on-road, non-paved road, situations/circumstances where one needs only an adequate AWD system.
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    That is very sad. It's a good lesson for those who don't buckle up.

Personally, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt, except:

1. When I am mucking with the trailer in the driveway, boat launch, quarry or dump (ever try to three point turn a trailer in a width less than the car+trailer with something ringing in your head?)
    2. The _long_ ride up the driveway from the mailbox

All of my previous Toyota's didn't have this annoying "GM" beep, Please help me stop it !

Thanks.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Only dealer can turn the beeper off on 08 HL
  • molinemoline Member Posts: 14
    I finally had a chance to tow a larger trailer yesterday, and was impressed with the Highlander's performance. It was a full-height 8' wide 26' long 4000 pound travel trailer with a Reese WD dual-cam hitch, w/o sway control. It was a 120 mile ride, including some decent hills, about 80/20 highway/back roads. I was initially concerned about the trailer's length relative to the Highlander's wheelbase and trucks or crosswinds sending me into the next lane, but it never happened. Prior to trying this setup, I had been towing a 2000 pound 14' pop-up with a '98 Ford Windstar, with trailer brakes but no weight distribution or sway control. I found the HL & 26' TT combination to be a lot more stable, even w/o sway control. I had no problem keeping up with traffic (~65), and although there weren't any big crosswinds there were plenty of trucks. No white knuckles anywhere to be found.
  • wrajinderwrajinder Member Posts: 58
    I just noticed that Canadina website shows I-Pod interface in Accessories section. But ON USA web site they are not mentioning any thing about it. Does any Body Knows Why?
    link title
  • byumgrbyumgr Member Posts: 14
    Does the 2005 Highlander Limited have a Seviceable Differental and if so, how often should it be serviced?
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    When I test drove a 2008 Highlander last year, I noticed something that might be a design oversight.

When the conversation mirror is deployed, it partially covers the rear view mirror. The view out the rear is cut off by 75%.

I have been wanting to check how bad the rear seat DVD screen interferes with the view out the back when looking in the rear view mirror?

Has anyone got first hand experience with both these issues?

Thanks
    I do not have the DVD, but I did use the conversation mirror last week for the first time with guest in the back, and yes it does block the rear view mirror.
    It is no big deal to me though, as I will rarely use it. For those who will want to use it, be careful as it does block the rear view mirror, and could become a hazard.
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    There's a pretty loud whistling coming from the passenger window whenever I get above 50 mph, and I know it's not the window trying to whistle along with the radio. ;) Does anyone else have this issue?

When I was having my XM installed, the dealership said they took it for a drive but couldn't hear what I heard. They said they adjusted the seal anyway, yet I heard it on the way home. I don't drive over 50 very often (mostly in-town stuff) but when I do it's very annoying!
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    I've had my 2008 Highlander for a couple of months and put about 2,000 miles on it, and have not noticed any degree of wind noise, or whistling...........which would be very annoying. It sounds like some issue with the seal, but you may need to ride with their tech to demonstrate it.
    Knowing my luck the tech who supposedly drove it can't hear high pitched noises! :P Thanks for the feedback!

Other than that ... and the fact they scrapped my gear shift all to pieces installing my XM ... I'm LOVING my Highlander! I've already got a couple of people here at work wanting one too! :D
    If anyone's thinking of getting XM installed by Toyota on a Highlander that doesn't come WITH it already installed, think twice!! :surprise: The way they made this highlander, the technicians have to completely take the dash and driver's seat out of the vehicle to get behind the radio. There's not a simple panel to remove for them to get to the components they need. So yes, it comes XM ready, but Toyota obviously didn't think it through all the way. Why did they have to make it so difficult to get to the back of the radio? :confuse:

Just an FYI for those who either have an XM ready Highlander or those who are thinking about purchasing a new one. If you don't already have one, make sure the XM is factory installed ... if that is even an option!! ;)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's not actually done at the factory..it's done at the distribution point for each region. The way they do it is ...

the technicians have to completely take the dash and driver's seat out of the vehicle to get behind the radio. There's not a simple panel to remove for them to get to the components they need. So yes, it comes XM ready, but Toyota obviously didn't think it through all the way. Why did they have to make it so difficult to get to the back of the radio?
  • jaberjaber Member Posts: 10
    I have the rear DVD player, but when the screen is off in the back, I can still hear the DVD player whirr when I turn the car on. Any ideas on how to turn it off?
  • bjosephsbjosephs Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,
    I have an 08 basic 4x4 with 5,000 miles on it. I really enjoy this car after driving an 01 4x2 4 cylinder for 7 years. There is no comparison between the two cars. However, I do have a problem that is concerning me. Each morning or afternoon when I start and drive off after a short warm-up period the engine sound like it's a diesel. I get a clacking sound until the engine is really warmed up. The service department writes it off to redesigned cylinders that are oval shaped and take a short time to adjust. They say don't worry about it because no damage is being done. I was wondering if others are experiencing this symptom and any answers they may have received. By the way for those checking gas mileage I have averaged over 21 mpg in mixed driving since I bought the car the end of Sept. This is almost the same as the 4 banger!
    Hi there....I have a Highlander 08 Limited that has the same clicking sound when the engine is cold. After warm up- it is very quiet.
    I have not ask about it, because I had read that they will do this until the engine warms -up, and it was normal. If any one that reads our post has found out something different, I hope they will respond, if it shouldn't do this.
    I have had my Highlander going on four weeks, and I love it !!! Glad you are enjoying yours,

Ronn
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Please don't let the dealer way with this. The noise is not normal. No modern gasoline engine should sound like a diesel when cold. Contact another dealer or Toyota corporate. Believe me your pistons are not oval shaped.
    Mine doesn't sound like a diesel......just a clicking of the pistons. The Avalon 2005 that I had did the same thing.
    Don't be so certain about this, many new cars are using DFI, Direct Fuel Injection. DFI fuel pump pressures are dramatically higher than simple SFI and may have a different injection sequence/parameter with the engine cold than otherwise.

You can most definitely hear the SFI noise in my 2001 RX300 so my guess would be that DFI noise would be a LOT greater.

Also, the use of DFI allows the ignition timing to be adjusted throughout a wider range.

Are you aware that experiments are currently ongoing to build a "diesel" (no spark plugs) gasoline engine?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The engine in the 2008 Highlander is not a DFI engine and should not be as noisy as posted lately. I am aware of work being done on the new diesel/gasoline engine. Very interesting technology.
    The valve train on this engine does make quite a bit of clicking when cold. I have the same thing on my Avalon and I've heard other Avalon owners comment on this.
  • buxtonsbuxtons Member Posts: 3
    I have a similar issue with my '08

Whistle noise above 45mph..but coming from passenger side windshield. I had them reseal it once already but it still has the issue. I may have them just replace the windshield or look into something from the exterior causing it. I had an '05 Odyssey that made a whistle that was attributed the the cowling right below the windshield. They replaced that and all was better. So we will see what happens this time around.
  • buxtonsbuxtons Member Posts: 3
    I have the same noise in my '08. Once warm it is fine but until then Diesel city. Also it seems to make a lot of noise at idle in drive. This engine does not have Direct injection. You would know the difference. My IS350 has that and you can tell the difference between diesel sound and valve click.

I plan on having them look into this as it now makes a lot of vibration in idle that never was there before. So maybe there is an issue..I am sure they will find nothing as usual.
  • firedude21firedude21 Member Posts: 1
    We have a new 08 Highlander that we feel is a great automobile. Our only concern is a vibration that is felt on start up. It lasts for about 10 minutes and then disappears after the vehicle warms up. I have read the posts about the diesel noise but we don't hear any of that just the vibration. Any ideas or suggestions.
  • bwolfe99bwolfe99 Member Posts: 1
    The DVD screen does obscure looking through the rear-view mirror, not sure what can be done about that, for backing up its no big deal since you have the rear-view camera. It does bug me a little when I'm on the highway, need to rely on side-mirrors more when kids are watching DVDs.
  • canuck17canuck17 Member Posts: 28
    I am interested to hear from 2008 HL owners who live in northern United States or Canada who are experiencing a rattle in their front driver and passenger windows during cold weather. In my area we are experiencing cold weather (20 below and wind). I am experiencing progressively worse rattling and a sound like "morse code" tapping when driving. My dealership that sold me the vehicle checked it out in the fall when I first noticed it and they told me it was just some ice, everything checked out fine according to them.

Have any other 2008 HL owners experienced this problem and if so what is the problem and how was it solved? The sound is very annoying. Information to solve this problem would be appreciated.

ET.
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    Anyone know if there are any products available that offer full time rear view camera?
    I have seen concept cars without any side view or rear view mirrors. A system of cameras displayed the view behind the car on a small screen in the instrument cluster.
    If something like this were available, then the issue of the rear seat entertainment screen blocking the view of the rear view mirror would be solved
  • bjosephsbjosephs Member Posts: 13
    I have the same problem to go along with the noisy engine. A second dealer places the blame on the timing chain. This is the third different answer I have received, so I e-mailed the Toyota help desk directly. As always they say there is no recall program to address this concern and will have the dealer contact me again to solve the problem. The saga continues!
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Just because something is not to your liking about a product is not justification for any company to issue a Recall. Recall's (in the USA) are reserved for either (1) DANGEROUS WORKINGS or (2) environmental impact issues. A vibration or a noise will likely never trigger a recall on its own. There may be issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) which may help address any other (like yours) issues. Check www.nhtsa.gov for more details in understanding the difference between a Recall and a TSB.