Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    So the clicking goes away after warm up, how long does the car take to warm up and the clicking last?
    Thanks
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    On mine it goes away after a couple of miles of driving or temperature scale passing fist mark.
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    Is the ticking sound the cold start Fuel Injectors?
    Can anyone please tell me if the auxiliary input to the audio head unit (on DVD nav units) displays the file contents of the ipod or mp3 player on the screen?

thanks
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Same as Lucky777, a mile or two....
  • molinemoline Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know how to disable the factory alarm on the 2008 Highlander? Ours has been giving false alarms over the past day or so, and I can't get it to a dealer until the morning to have it checked out. I'd like to disable the alarm so that it doesn't trigger at 2:00 in the morning (again). Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Have there been any precedents where Toyota has made minor design tweaks to their vehicles, one year after they were introduced?

My biggest issue with the new Highlander is the 3rd row seat not being split.
    I was going to buy a 2008 when they first came out, but due to a lousy trade in value on my current highlander, I decided to wait and see what the 2009 Pilot looked like. Now that I have seen how ugly the 2009 Pilot is, I am waiting for the 2009 Highlander, with the assumption Toyota will fix all the "Beta" issues on the 2008's

thanks
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    All I can say is a big HURRRMMPH,

While the 3rd row is not that big a deal for me the 2nd row jump seat is. I can't believe that Toyota chose this way to go. The 2nd row jump seat is Mickey Mouse IMnotsoHO.

Anyway my 2004 HL is not getting the trade in I think it should. Sooo I am going to wait to see what Honda does with the diesel engines and if Toyota gets real and offers a 2nd row split bench.

And can we PLEASE get the ebony interior on the HL Limited. What the heck is Toyota thinking.

Also with the news today about Toshiba getting out of the DVD business and studios alreading ditching the DVD format why buy now, if the entertainment system is part of your buying scenario.

My view is wait and see cause automakers always tweak the models. :surprise:
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Toshiba is getting out of the HIGH DEFINITION DVD business (HD-DVD). Not regular DVD's. Nor are studios "ditching" regular DVD's, which will continue to be produced for some years to come.
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    It will be interesting to see if Toyota does make any of these changes. Of all of them, I think the split third seat makes the most sense and adds the most versatility. I think the second row configuration works great, but my family needs are different than yours. Which is the point....most cars end up being some kind of compromise to each of our ideals...someone else earlier was complaining about the interior door handles being too close to the window buttons.....another complained about the location of the gas release lever. All those items to me are total non-issues, but they were a hot button for someone........so, again, it will be interesting to see what Toyota does for 2009!
  • caitrocks75caitrocks75 Member Posts: 4
    Hey, do you think you could tell the name and location of the dealer who helped you with your bluetooth sound problem? My dealer thinks I am making it up.
  • sepcosepco Member Posts: 4
    I have new Highlander Hybrid Limited. After 550 miles it is only getting 22 mpg. Any one else doing this bad.

I love the car otherwise. Nav, bluetooth, XM all work great.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    There's a breakin period of about 5000-10000 miles. After that the vehicle should be operating at its optimum.

There is the well-known well-documented 'winter effect' on fuel economy. My post from the Hybrid Camry forum ...kdhspyder, "Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers" #314, 16 Dec 2006 3:20 pm

Your personal situation also has a big effect. This is especially true if you use it for short trips.
  • sepcosepco Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for the 5 to 10k for improvement.
    Sorry your dealer is apparently unaware......I bought my car from Toyota of Escondido, and am sure you can Google them and get the phone number. My sales person was named Sean Roeder, so would ask for him. He talked through the process while I was on the phone in my car.....took all of 10 minutes!! It involves going to one of the screens, clicking on one of the icons, then touching the upper then lower section of the screen alternately about 3 times. It then opened up a special screen that controls some of the Bluetooth functions....I believe there were two different buttons that you could change settings on....think mine were both set to the lowest setting, and then changed both to about mid level setting.....like going from #1 to #3 or 4..........he said not to go any higher. What it improved was the quality and volume of the sound that whomever you are calling receives. I have made a point of asking several people that I call frequently about the sound quality now, and they have all said it was considerably better. Some were complaining about weak and somewhat broken up sound before, and that was with a good signal strength. This salesman also said that specific cell phones seem to vary on how well they work, as do different providers. I have a Motorola Razr phone and Cingular/ATT service.
    I use the Bluetooth quite a bit now and really like it...seems to recognize pretty well the different voice recognition names I have programmed in and the sound in the car is just great...especially when both the wife and I are in the car and talking to one of our grandchildren! Good luck, and let me know how it turns out.
    I do not have a Hybrid, but do have a 2008 Highlander, and have read a lot of articles and tests on both. First of all, I think it depends a lot on what type of driving you are doing.....mostly city,mix of city and hiway, mostly hiway. People with regular Highlanders doing mostly city stop and go, and hitting the gas pedal can get 15 mpg or so. My car with a fairly even mix of freeway and some city averages consistently about 18.5, and I drive it fairly easy. For that kind of driving I have read to expect about 4-5 mpg better with the Hybrid........no more. With freeway driving, the difference is even less....maybe only 1-2 mpg. That kind of points up the sentiment on buying one, and most articles seem to say you will never pay for the cost difference on mileage improvement, even though it is somewhat better. In any event, you should see some improvement with more miles.....good luck!!
  • dowlingdcdowlingdc Member Posts: 7
    Did you figure this out? My alarm on a 2008 Highlander is doing the same thing and the delaer tells me there's nothing wrong!! I'm sure my neighbors would disagree with them. I had to disconnect the battery last night to get it to stop. Would love some advice if you have some...
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    The DVD format is old technology and the only studios producing it now are Paramount and Universal. The point is you will see less and less new software available in DVD or HD-DVD format and more and more in Blu-Ray. Also Netflix announced that it will not carry HD-DVD just Blu-Ray. Blockbuster will be close behind you can bet.

Once this happens to a great extent the DVD players in autos are not as valuable because of the lack of software. I shudder to think what might do to resale on the car.
    And please don't tell me about copying Blu-ray to DVD cause the US Congress nullified FAIR USE a few years ago. This is winding its way throught he courts but I think we all know how that will turn out.

I can hear the salesmen now. Well sir your car has a DVD player we will need to deduct $500 for that.

Maybe I am over reacting but I see this coming in no more than 3 years. So the car you buy today will be a tough resale tomorrow.
  • caitrocks75caitrocks75 Member Posts: 4
    I was told by the dealer that I couldn't disable or change any of the settings on it myself and would have to take it to the dealer if I wanted it adjusted.
  • molinemoline Member Posts: 14
    I brought the car to the dealership which I bought it from on Monday, but unfortunately was told that there were no sensitivity settings, valet switch, or any other adjustments or methods to disable the alarm other than having it permanently removed from the vehicle. If you lock the doors with the switch on the door handle prior to closing the door rather than using the remote, allegedly the alarm might not arm, but even the dealer couldn't be sure of this. They spent nearly 2 hours looking for settings, but I couldn't wait any longer, so will need to bring it back someday when I have more time to spare. I wish I had better news...
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    Regardless of which high-definition DVD player you might have, every one of them will play REGULAR DVDs just fine. Which is all you really need on a 7" screen anyway.

Regular DVDs are here for years to come.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    "The DVD format is old technology and the only studios producing it now are Paramount and Universal"

Incorrect. EVERY studio is still producing DVD's, and will do so for years, in parallel with Blu-ray disks. The Blu-ray format is not even technically finalized yet, and will not be the dominant mainstream format for at least 3 years. Even then, the studios want to continue to sell the huge back catalog of movies that have not been remastered in Blu-ray format; it will take years before they are remastered and many will never be. Blu-ray players also play standard DVD's so even after most people own Blu-ray players, studios can continue to sell DVD's of all the movies that haven't been remastered.

Also important to keep in mind -- Blu-ray does not provide a significant upgrade in picture quality over standard DVD in automotive applications, because of the tiny screen sizes used in vehicles.

Bottom line: while in-vehicle entertainment systems will probably be Blu-ray based within the next few years, this does not mean that a standard DVD-based system purchased now will be obsolete anytime soon.
    Regarding DVD format for the rear seat entertainment system.
    It won't become obsolete overnight. Don't forget, there are Billions of DVD media out there. I own over 250 DVD titles. So I need a DVD player in the rear of my car.
    I can still play them for years to come.

However, on my 65 plasma, I will get a Blu-Ray player and begin to buy new titles to add to my collection
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    own over 250 DVD titles

Isn't that like owning 250 cassettes? Still usable but surely all this stuff will go to a more compact format soon, like some sort of flash memory. (and no, Micron pumps a lot of money into the Boise economy, but I don't own their stock).

All the map upgrade stuff you have to buy on CD/DVD is silly too - that should just be a simple download. At worse you would have to put it on a USB stick to move it to the car.

Toyota may be figuring this stuff out:

Toyota recognizes portable navigation units
  • canuck17canuck17 Member Posts: 28
    For clarification is the screen you referring to on your actual cellphone or on the actual bluetooth function in the vehicle. I have a Motorola Krazor (Razor 2 in the US) phone programmed into my 2008 HL Ltd. It is very loud and some people I call tell me it is hard to understand the phone calls made at times.

ET
    "Isn't that like owning 250 cassettes?"
    No, it's like owning 250 DVD's?
    I am not sure what you are trying to imply?
    Both DVD or Blu-Ray are the the same physical size. Comparing CD (or DVD) to a cassette is like comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, I agree that having movies on a disk will propbably go away and get replaced by flash memory.

Thanks for the link on Nav units.

DVDs just seem like old tech already - not too compact, easily damaged, and you have to have a mechanical device handy to use them. Not too far removed from cassettes.... 8 tracks ... vinyl.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    Our dealer out here in Southeastern MA charges $24.99 and that includes a free car wash. No appointment necessary and the wait time is usually around 45 minutes.
  • applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    Hmm, based on your other posts, you seem to know what you're talking about. I hope you're wrong, though. What's "HSD"?

It's hard to reconcile our need for greater fuel economy with the seeming necessity for each new car model to offer a larger, more powerful engine.

My girlfriend bought a hybrid Camry earlier this month. While hardly a rocket, it has surprising power. The same system would likely provide adequate power in the Highlander.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298

DVDs just seem like old tech already - not too compact, easily damaged, and you have to have a mechanical device handy to use them. Not too far removed from cassettes.... 8 tracks ... vinyl

Sorry, but flash memory storage size still isn't up to carrying libraries of films. Magnetic hard disks can carry a bunch, but you still face transfer problems - we still don't have good enough wireless transmission to do big films.

You're jumping the gun by a couple years. [not to mention when this comes on line, it will again take a while before the price point filters down]
    This screen I was referring to is the Blue Tooth screen in the car.....not the phone itself, but I can't remember which now..........but as I said my Toyota dealer knew about and suggested it and walked me through it. If your dealer is somehow unaware, then try calling Toyota of Escondido and ask for Sean Roeder.........he is the one who helped me and it does work better now.
  • shotcallashotcalla Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a limited with everything but nav & RES for 34,300 in the Cincinnati area. Have not driven it much yet but so far I really like it.

Thanks for all the insight from this board, it really helped me get a fair deal.
    Congrats on the new car!! I also have a Limited, since late December, and am still in love with this car. Drives very well and suits my needs almost perfectly. You will also find a lot of good help here on this board, with lots of good interaction and opinions.
  • jcringjcring Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing this too. I can't figure out what it is or what causes it. I have had my Highlander for 1 week and I have heard the noise 2 of those 7 days. Today I heard it from the driver and passenger sides.
    When the new Highlander first came out, and was tested by various auto publications, it was roundly criticized for its "overly light and assisted steering", which left less road feel, etc. I have heard a lot of cars have gone to electric assisted steering, mainly because it saves on fuel economy.
    I think it would be interesting to hear back from the group on what all of your feelings are about this, now that many have had their cars for several months.
    In my own experience, I mostly drive only this car, so I have gotten very used to it and think it feels just fine. In fact, when I drove my wife's 2000 Lexus GS300 awhile back, at first the steering felt "very heavy", almost truck-like at first.
    So what do you think? Is it still "too light" and an issue, or is it something that you get used to and not a problem?
  • randycleerandyclee Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone used the Costco auto purchase program to buy a Toyota Highlander? I am looking to purchase a Limited Hybrid Highlander? Is the price good through Costco? Close to the invoice?
    Check out the Purchasing Programs (AAA, Costco, BJ's, etc.) discussion too.
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    I never minded it. Although, coming from a 2-door sports car, the whole experience was new. I do really like the ride and the little bit of luxury of the HL Ltd.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    For the past day I have been getting a 5 note chime every 2 minutes from my 08 Highlander Ltd. No doors open, no weight on seats, I have my seat belt buckled, and I keep getting this 5 note chime even when the vehicle is stopped and the engine running. I haven't had time to have the local dealer look at it. Just wondered if anyone else had this unique problem?
  • kittycat2kittycat2 Member Posts: 9
    I received Costco pricing info., but I was able to purchase a vehicle lower than the Costco price. It's good info. to have though. The Costco dealer I received pricing from added wholesale financial reserve and the holdback onto the invoice which added almost $1000. The internet manager stated that it was the maximum price Costco allowed. I said that, "It may be the maximum, but it doesn't mean it's their minimum." I don't think he appreciated my comment.
  • brian62brian62 Member Posts: 31
    I started by contacting my dealer through Costco. They quoted me $1,000 over invoice on HL Limited 2WD. She ended up selling it to me at invoice +$369 doc fee.
    I have done this with my last two car purchases and I think using Costco lets them know you are serious about price and you will give your business to the dealer with the lowest price.
  • brian62brian62 Member Posts: 31
    I would have to say that my HL Limited 2WD does have a very light touch on the steering wheel. I would compare it to a car that has a good 10-15k miles on it and is well broken in.
    I don't mind the light touch, I prefer it to the truck feel.
    In the interest of preventing poor Sean from being innundated with calls ...I was finally able to research this. Here's how to access the menu and increase the bluetooth microphone volume on your '08 Highlander.

Note that I've been successful doing this with my '08 HL Sport with nav; also note that there are plenty of other buttons in these setup screens, some of which can really screw things up, so resist the temptation to "play around."

1) Foot off brake, all doors closed

2) Set headlight switch to off/DRL

3) Turn ignition to "on" position - do not start the car. Wait for the nav disclaimer screen to appear.

4) Press and hold the "info" button, which is one of the nav buttons next to "disp."

5) While holding the "info" button, click the headlight switch back and forth from AUTO to OFF/DRL three times, about one movement per second. The sequence starts with the switch in the OFF position (step 2), and goes AUTO, OFF, AUTO, OFF, AUTO, OFF.

6) If you've been a very good boy or girl, your nav screen will change from the disclaimer screen to a "System Check Mode" screen. Press MENU in the upper right hand corner.

7) From the Diagnosis Menu screen, press "Bluetooth TEL Check."

8) From the Bluetooth Handsfree Check Menu, press "Handsfree Voice Quality Set."

9) Now press the up arrows at "Send Voice Level" to adjust up from zero. I'm going to try a setting of 2 - I've heard that any higher settings than this and your voice will be louder but distorted.

10) Press "Set."

11) Back out of the menus as far as you can, then turn off the car.

12) Try out your new volume setting for the microphone!
    Wonder how to do this if you have BT but not Nav ?

Hrmm...
    Wow deverbrian.....thanks for the info. Who would have ever fiqured this one out without help. I noticed yesterday that my system was too loud, so this is a big help to me also.
    It is interesting that you would have to use the lights to get through to this screen.
    Have a great day!
    Funny you should ask. Here are the steps:

1) Hit yourself severely about the head and shoulders for making such a high dollar purchase as a Highlander without nav.

2) Ask your dealer for help, as they have to plug in their "intelligent tester" to make the change for you.
    Now if your system is simply too loud for YOU, you can actually adjust that without going into the special screens. That's an adjustment off the "settings" part of the Bluetooth. My instructions are specifically to change the volume of the MICROPHONE as heard by the person you're CALLING.
    Thanks for that ! I forgot that I can adjust the volume under settings, however, I will find out if the microphone needs to be adjusted.
    As to your reply to another post, I almost didn't get the Nav., but I sure am glad I did. I felt for future resale I would be better off. I really love this Highlander, and plan to keep it awhile !
    Now that was uncalled for....

In my state you can not buy a HL Ltd with Nav and without DVD Entertainment.

Since I have absolutely zero use for a DVD entertainment system, shelling out over $4k for both just does not make sense. However, if you'd like to send me a check for the above amount, I'll gladly go ask them to make the switch for me.

PS: I blasted Toyota on the last [non-dealer] survey for not offering NAV without DVD in my area. Before buying in NY, I had locates out for 3 weeks in Maryland and Virgina but to no avail...that would have meant a 600 mile round trip drive for delivery!

PSS: In hindsight, my $400 Nuvi w/ traffic and TTS (Black Friday deal) is FAR more useful than the HL Nav system.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Hit yourself severely about the head and shoulders for making such a high dollar purchase as a Highlander without nav.

Well...not exactly. If you're going to use it, fine. If the advantages of having the integrated unit (larger screen for the backup camera, touchscreen interface to the radio, integration with the steering wheel controls, voice recognition, etc.) outweigh the cost of a handheld unit, fine.

Getting it just because the Highlander is a high dollar purchase? That's absurd.

Besides, take a look at this article about navigation systems and resale value:
    "Navigation Systems Hurt Resale Values"

All of this is moot for me; in my state (Hawaii), navigation is not an option. Our distributor just started bringing in navigation-equipped units in the Lexus lineup, but nothing on the Toyota side yet. I heard it had something to do with licensing fees.