Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Isn't it nice, REALLY NICE, that your brake lights come on automatically when you push on the brake pedal...?? What would it be like if you had to remember to flip the brake lights "on" each and every time you applied the brakes...?? And then remember to switch them off...??

Isn't it also nice that some of the newer cruise control designs will apply the brakes and turn on the stop lights to let following drivers know...?

Wouldn't it be nice if when I downshift my manual transmission drastically the rear amber turn signal lamps would come on to "advise" following drivers...??

"Driving is a skill, and commands responsibility....

I feel that I am a highly skilled driver and hold myself FULLY responsible...

But what about the OTHER driver..???

Should I ALWAYS put my trust in that other driver to not only "know" but to actually turn the headlights on or off as the situation warrants....??

NOT...!!!

NEVER..!!

IMMHO the only person I would trust to make "value" judgements about, against, DRLs would be Jeff Foxworthy. Him I will listen to.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    Please....make...them...stop.......... :sick:
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    He can't help himself. It's an obsession. I would love to see more comments about the Highlander. I've been considering one for the first time ever. Never liked them before the redesign this year. Probably won't buy this year, but Highlander will definitely be on my short list along with the Outlook (or one of it's siblings) and Hyundai Santa Fe (If they make it about 3 inches longer).
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    Same here, getting out of a Suburban (but it sure did come in handy this weekend, 9 plants and a tree...oh, well). We test drove a Limited, very nice, now I'm checking out which phones work with it. Turns out no Verizon phones work with the stereo-only Bluetooth, but a number work with the Nav-based Bluetooth. Go figure :confuse:
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    I can help myself thanks, apparently, you can't.

Highlander is great.
    Reviews that say the suspension is soft, incorrect. My old 2003 was too bouncy.
    New 2008 is smooth and refined.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    OK.

Non-relevant posts + more personal bickering (as opposed to productive discussion) on DRLs = a site that's become a waste of time.

If any of the moderators feel like stepping in and doing their job, I'm sure those who remain will be grateful.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    T'was an odd forum to spam in - gone now.

Moving on....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do we need a separate topic for Highlander DRLs?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Is there already one for DRLs "overall"..??

Search keyword "DRL" indicates not.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    The major drawback to the new Highlander is the tiny rear seats as far as legroom and they are difficult to get to. Also, not having memory driver seat settings are big too. The Outlook actually rode better IMO and had much more legroom in the third row as well as memory seats. Otherwise the Highlander is much improved in the looks department. Before it seemed too much like a mini van. When we bought our Mountaineer 4 years ago we had owned Mini Vans for 18 straight years and my Wife absolutely will "never buy one again". If they can address these issues we have with the Highlander in the next couple of years, we will definitely consider buying one. My wife fell in love with the Outlook though, so it being her car I won't have a lot of say in the matter. Just the dealing side of things. And let's put the DRL issue to rest with my apologies for letting it get personal.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There is this one: Daytime Running Lights

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    On other boards I'm a member of, there is a way to "report" members or to contact hosts via PM. Is that an option on this board? :confuse: If so, I can't find it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can click on any member's name to get their profile. If they have marked their email public, then you can contact them that way.

The hosts all have public emails in our profiles.
    Actually, the rear seat is easy to access via the middle row captains chairs, or if the middle row has the 40,20,40 seating, by sliding the seat forward.

most complaints I have heard are the lack of split 3rd row
  • dirtraven1dirtraven1 Member Posts: 9
    The rear row access is as easy to get into as my '05 Honda Odyssey. I just actually had to use my 3rd row for 2 adults this weekend and nobody complained. One of the adults actually fell asleep.
    Big plus is the adjustable 2nd row, makes the 3rd row livable.
  • odybillodybill Member Posts: 6
    "not having memory driver seat settings are big too."

That Highlander Trim model is called the Lexus. ;)
    This morning I finally found a dislike with my 08 HL. The a/c settings. I wonder why they set the lowest a/c temp to 65? This morning on my way to work the "Max Cold" setting was too cold, but setting the temp on 65 with the fan turned up blew warm air. There should be lower settings available, but if that's my only complaint, I'll deal with it! ;)
    You could do what I did and go to Home Depot and purchase/install a manual shutoff valve for the coolant flow to the heater. Improved FE and "smoother" variations in cooling levels.
    Have you tried to just use manual setting, max cold, but low fan speed setting?
  • davoldavol Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2008 Highlander in Canada with a Toyota 5000lb Trailer Hitch and Wiring Harness. I would like to tow a 4000lb trailer with a weight distribution hitch but I cannot seem to find the specifications for the Toyota Hitch. Does this Class III (I assume) hitch accommodate a weight distribution hitch and with what weight rating? I tried asking the dealership and the head service tech thought the hitch was a Class II hitch (which didn't make sense) and did not know how to find the specifications. In addition, I would need a brake controller on the trailer but the Highlander's standard wiring harness only has a 4-pin connector. Has anyone had experience on how I might run the wires for a 7-pin connector (or whether it might already be present on the vehicle) and where I might tap the power? I noticed the standard Highlanders sold in the US are rated to tow 2000lbs and a towing package consisting of: the hitch, heavy duty radiator with oil cooler, 200watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150amp alternator and wiring harness is an optional accessory. Canadian Highlanders have standard specifications of towing 5000lb. Am I to assume that the integral upgrades (ie the heavy duty radiator with oil cooler, 200watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150 amp alternator) are standard in the Canadian models? I cannot seem to find the specifications on this and would greatly appreciate it if someone could help.
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    Not sure just what kind of boat you are used to....that is about the last thought I have had with my new Highlander after 5,000 miles of driving it.....for me it handles well and is very steady.....no wallowing or pitching, etc.
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    Well, there's always the 2009 Honda Pilot and its 1967 IH TravelAll styling...
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    "How is the second row seating?"

The outer seats are great.  I let my daughters (18 & 21) drive me around. I am a big guy and they were very comfortable, plenty of leg room.

"Do your arms slide off the arm rests?"

I did not notice if they did.

"Is the middle seat on the second row comfortable?"

Are you kidding, it is only fit for a very small skinny child.
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
    No offense but when I turned I kept floating off of the seat as it did not keep me in place. Perhaps it was because I tested the sport version?
    I guess I can't figure out quite what's going on.........I assume you had the seat belt on, and were holding onto the steering wheel. Were you driving thru corners really fast??? As I said, I drive mine every day, and have since buying it in December, and have never felt like the seats were not supportive or were slippery and not capable of holding. I also read this blog daily, and I don't recall anyone else bringing this up as a complaint.....lots of other issues, but not this one, so am kind of puzzled.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I don't understand yuo comments either gleen6191. The Highlander is a superb SUV. With my leather seats, it nevers slides or anything as such your description. I suggest you go drive again. This SUV is as smooth as silk, fun to drive, and unless you coated the seats with something slick, that would never happen.
    You want a boat, drive a Land Cruser.
    you need to read the 105 reviews of this SUV, and then decide if you drove the right vehicle! A highlander, you didn't. Want a boat, go drive a Land Cruser. A Highlander is not a boat, but a fine riding SUV.
    Really? I'll have to look into that! Thanks! :shades:
  • josephd05josephd05 Member Posts: 46
    You can't compare the highlander to the land cruiser. the Land cruiser is a refined world class off road machine. The Highlander is basically a camry on stilts.
  • georgeroughtgeorgerought Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Highlander Limited is also having Alarm issues and the dealer is not sure what the problem is and cannot fix it. Has anyone had their dealer fix their alarm problem? Is so, please post which dealer, with contact information, was able to make repairs. My dealer says Toyota Corp has no records of this being an issue.
    Ideas?
    I agree with you to a point, since I have had 2 Landcruisers plus a Sequoia in addition to a new Highlander......the LC definitely handles and rides better than the Sequoia, but is still a much larger and heavier vehicle than the Highlander..... I think he was mainly referring to the overall bulk. I also guess your comparison to a Camry is a compliment, as it is one of the best selling, most popular, most emulated cars for many years now.
    Thanks thardgrave...you are one of my pals and favorite people that post on this forum. My comment was that I feel in no way that the Highlander is a boat. It is a fine SUV.
    As for the Land Cruiser, they are great. I was talking about the size. It is a big SUV, and that is closer to a boat than the Highlander as far as big and bulky.
    I cannot imagine anyone sliding around as he said. Some people will say anything to down something they don't like.
    I am so glad you are always positive, and enjoy your Highlander as much as I do.
    Enjoy your weekend!
  • hodog16hodog16 Member Posts: 53
    I've been lurking in this thread thusfar as I'm in the market for a Highlander Sport AWD later in the summer. Test drove one a few weeks ago and loved it, but I've gotta get the boss (read: wife) to drive it as well before I get serious with buying one.

Anyway, I ran across this today and wanted to post it here. Toyota's halting sales of new Highlanders and recalling 90,000 of them built between 5/07 and 3/08 due to problems with the seat belts in the 3rd row.

Toyota will start letting owners know in June, but since you read this thread, you now know!

Linky
    yeah..I heard that too on the news last night. I'm not worried about it as I am single and the third row seats stay down. My question is does it matter if I don't wish to get the seat belts corrected? say for resale( plan to keep a long time)

Hope this won't change your mind. You will love the Highlander, and I hope your "boss" does too!
  • hodog16hodog16 Member Posts: 53
    Probably worth fixing whenever your next scheduled maintenance is due, but probably not worth a special trip. I think most companies offer to fix it for free within a certain time period. I guess wait until you get the letter in the mail from Toyota.

Still very interested in the Highlander, another thing is that we will be moving in June, so will probably wait until after then to buy one so we won't have to worry about either driving two cars separately (other one is a 2004 Camry) or transporting one car across the country.

I did make the mistake of test driving a sport with Nav, so now I'm tempted to get that option. Other models we're looking at are the GM lambda's (probably too big?) and the Honda Pilots (2009 might be too ugly :P, and the 2008's are so cheap but a 5 year old design). Will keep you guys updated on our search!
    Good luck with your moving...it is always such fun!!!!

I am glad you are still considering the Highlander. I have the Limited with Nav..some post have been down on the Nav, because when moving you cannot enter destinations. I find this to be a safety feature, so it doesn't bother me.
    I drove a Sport, and it was great. I am just spoiled with all the bells and whistles, so I went all the way with the Limited. I did like the brushed chrome look of the console in the Sport. Very nice. They need to improve the wood look in the Limited. A little on the cheap side as far as looks.
    I am very happy with this SUV, and it is a beautiful vehicle!

Have a great day.
    Ronn
    The wood look in the limited is what made me go for the Sport instead. They should really allow you to choose between wood or brushed chrome in the limited. ;) While I would like a few of the bells and whistles only the Limited will give you (remote open rear door, smart key, day/night rear view mirror), I was able to get the options that really matter to me on the Sport and am happy as a lark with it! :shades:
    thanks for the nice words.....you and I seem to agree on many things. As to the recall on the 3rd row seatbelt, my feeling is that it is probably embarrassing to Toyota, but nearly as serious as some sort of mechanical issue. I agree, most should just get it fixed at their next service unless they use it for kids in car seats already
  • ronbo4ronbo4 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, We took a test drive on Friday and really liked the handling and quiet. I was concerned about the electric steering, but it was ok.

We're going to buy an 08 Limited, but i'd like to use the area under the 3rd row seat for storage, similar to the 04 Explorer we have now without the 3rd row.

Has anyone done this, and is it pretty simple, or does it even look like it can be done without ruining anything?

Thanks for any help,
    Ron
    I am assuming you mean to permanently remove the 3rd row of seats to gain the storage area?? Maybe someone else can comment on how hard that would be, and if it can be done with damaging anything. Have you already looked at a 2 seat Highlander to see just what you would gain?? I am not sure it is a real large area, and you want to be sure you could put it back for re-sale value down the road.
  • su922su922 Member Posts: 9
    We bought our 08 Highlander Limited last September and just love it. It's a great automobile and we have thoroughly enjoyed driving it. We had a 4Runner and Avalon in the past and loved them as well, so we are big Toyota fans.

Can anyone tell me why there is occasionally a very strong, obnoxious (amonia type) smell when I start up my car? It happens at odd times, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it to happen. This has only happened 3 or 4 times since we bought the car, but it also happened occassionally with our other Toyotas and we never figured it out. It can be a little embarrassing when we have friends with us.

I have tried turning off the a/c or heater before shutting down or starting up the engine, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. And, we have looked at the air filter and everything seems fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    I get that smell when I use the windshield washer fluid.
  • su922su922 Member Posts: 9
    I supposed it could be related to that, although it doesn't happen every time I use my washer fluid, and it's much stronger than the washer fluid odor.

Does anyone know of a windshield washer fluid that does't smell so bad? I could try using something different to see if it works.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    Why bother to remove the 3rd seat...just fold it down and get yourself a Husky rubber mat that is custom fitted for the rear and you are in business. That is what I have done with my 08 Highlander Ltd. and it works fine. If I need more rear space I drop the middle seats and its like a pickup truck.
  • ronbo4ronbo4 Member Posts: 6
    i'm the OP. I clearly did not explain what i want to do!!!

We want the Limited, and the 5 passenger version is not available with this model. It is with the other 2 models.

I want to keep the lid, but i want to remove the guts in a way that i don't destroy anything and i can reinstall them when we sell it. I just want the area for small item storage, We haul around 2 large dogs and the cargo area is small enough without putting a bin or ?? to carry the small items.

tis,
    Ron
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    Thanks for notice of recall. I too have not used third row seat since I brought vehicle home from dealership. I have Limited Highlander with leather and XM Radio. Test drove Enclave, Pilot, and Pontiac version before I settled on Highlander. If vision is an issue, you can see very well all around the vehicle. Not so easy with Pilot and Enclave. Thus, far I really like the Blizzard Pearl Limited
    AWD I purchased. My local mechanic is like Maytag Man.
    Tell the boss to go for it and she will not be sorry. Will watch for recall notice just the same and get it fixed. My dealership is real nice and provides me with free loaner car for the day. Have fun .. .
    Glad you love the Sport and got all the options. Check out the 2010 Highlander.
    Go to Forbes.com and go to 10 Technologically advanced green cars...I was very shocked at what I saw...hope they all aren't going to look like that!
    I think they are just showing the existing technology prototype Highlander.
    They will obviously transfer the technology into the current model design