Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• jgantjgant Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 Highlander with Navigation. I'm considering the purchase of a new cell phone and am concerned about Bluetooth compatibility. I've read here in the past there have been some issues. I'm considering the purchase of one of the following; LG, Voyager; Samsung, SCH-u700; or the LG, 8360 (maybe new to the market); can anyone advise me whether they have had success with compatibility of these phones? I've checked the web site which lists compatible phones and I did not see them listed. Have heard that the list gets update about every 2 weeks or so. I’ll continue to check. Just thought I'd check with others. Thanks.
    V/R
    Jim
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    I have a LG EnV and it's compatibility is just fine.
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    You should ask your dealer about compatibility.....they either have a list of all the compatible phones, or can refer you to an on-line site that does. You need to be sure, as it won't work if not compatible! I would also tell you that I was not real happy initially with my Blue Tooth...people I was calling complained about not understanding me real well. I called my dealer, and he told me how to go in and re-set the outgoing volume level, which helped a lot. That info is not in the owner's manual, but he walked me through it over the phone. I would also advise asking for the CD they have available to help learn the Navigation system........the manual isn't all that clear on it's various functions.......you have to use it to really learn it, but I use my frequently and like both it and the Bluetooth and wouldn't buy again without either. Good luck!!
    Thanks much for your assistance
    Jim
    Thanks much, very helpful
    Jim
  • kevinmkevinm Member Posts: 9
    I test drove both the 4cyl and 6cyl in 2005 and did not like the 4cyl performance and noise, ended up buying 2005 6cyl. Very happy with it 4 years later.

Now time to upgrade my 13mpg Trooper and am very interested to hear if any one has driven the 2009 4 cyl yet? I've seen a couple in the local internet inventories (DC Metro) but have not found any actual reviews yet online.
  • sox0407sox0407 Member Posts: 2
    Mine has been leaking too. I go to my mechanic for all scheduled maintenance. He said there is a seal behind the housing that the oil filter attaches to that was broken. He could've sent it to the dealer to have them fix it but I told him to fix it himself. $90. I don't have the time nor the inclination to start dealing with car dealerships. :)
  • JAD76JAD76 Member Posts: 4
    Can somebody tell me if the 3.5" multi-function display (MFD) comes standard with the 2008 Sport Highlander? The Toyota website shows that it is standard on the 2009 Sport, but none of the 2008 used Sport Highlanders that I'm looking at have it. They just have the LED clock. I drove a "new" 2008 Sport last night, and it had the MFD, but it appears that most don't. :confuse:
  • cmygtptaillitecmygtptaillite Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Ltd 2wd w/JBL & NAVI. I want to get Sirius installed. The dealer quoted me $670. I guess that breaks down to around $300 for the parts and $370 labor. I am in Northern California. Could anyone tell me what they paid to have this installed and any idea how to negotiate this down? Is it to offer them to pay cost on the parts? Just say how about $600? or????

Thanks.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    When new, the SIRIUS radio was a $449 option on the 08' HLs. This was always a dealer-installed option, so I would keep negotiating until you got them to $449.
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    I have 08' Highlander Ltd. with the XM/Sirius installed right in the radio. One suggestion I could offer is a swap for your radio in existing vehicle for one that has XM/Sirius installed "within radio". This is probably what dealer has in mind anyhow. Ask dealer what is going to happen to existing radio? They will probably keep, charge you excessive funds to swap out radio? Also, watch the satellite antenna. Mine came with stupid antenna receiver mounted "inside" vehicle on drivers side, right next to the front dash speaker. Did not work and very stupid idea from the get-go. Dealer replaced with roof mounted antenna package meant for the 4-Runner, I believe.
    Next comes a 3 month free subscription to XM/Sirius. After that, be sure to contact XM/Sirius and sign up for the same deal I got... $77.00 complete for ONE year.
    Finding an after market receiver for XM/Sirius that you can tune radio to FM station and receive via an XM modulator. Any good shop that installs satelitte radios or offers up XM/Sirius FM modulators can help you out here too for price shopping comparisons. Finally, XM is official and connected with Toyota. Sirius "bought" XM and all stations are comingled together. I have Sirius in my house on home stereo and the XM in Highlander. Not much difference at all. Recently got my subscription renewed via XM for $77.00 for ONE YEAR.

Hope that helps
    skypilot1953@yahoo.com
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    I would also check with some reputable radio shops in your area, as you might get a better radio for a lower price. Also check out Crutchfield, as they have all sorts of radios with instructions on how to install it yourself at very good prices.
  • robert2009robert2009 Member Posts: 1
    I removed the drain plug from the filter but no oil drained. I tried removing the filter housing but unsuccessful. Does it unscrew,pull down? What is the details exact procedure for changing this filter and draining th e oil.
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    Thanks to someone (I think it was nimrod99) for posting this somewhere... can't find the original post now.

http://sumbiz03.home.comcast.net/~sumbiz03/Lubrication_Oil_and_FilterReplacement- .pdf.
  • badbill11badbill11 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm a noob, but have surfed Toyota Nation and this website to answer most of my questions. Recently bought a 2002 Highlander 2WD 4cyl with 87K on it. Light dings, clean underneath, no obvious problems.

Oil and Brakes look good and are easy.

Q1: According to horrible maintenance schedule (hard to read), ATF to be changed at 120K. I thought I should go ahead and have it flushed with T IV or Amsoil. Yes/No?

Q2: Need to replace coolant. Any silicate free (red) okay?

Q3: Is the PCV on top of the valve cover or head? Want to replace.

Comments: Learned through extra research that THIS 4cyl was not prone to 'sludge' (YAY!), that the AC filter is behind the glovebox, and that the G0DDA&*^N "Drive Shaft Bolt" that needs re-torquing every 5K miles per the manual is hogwash.

Q4: Did I miss anything?

THANKS!
  • badbill11badbill11 Member Posts: 2
    Forgot: I also learned that I have a timing chain that is "maintenance free" until the cows come home!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide may be easier to read. :)

Some of us don't believe in flushing transmissions, especially older ones.

amigo_john, "Isuzu Trooper" #8070, 30 Jun 2003 7:46 am
  • jsgbjsgb Member Posts: 12
    Just would like to confirm if my speedometer error is the same for all base model 2008 Highlanders. My GPS shows 66.5 mph when the speedometer reads 70 mph. The error is 2 mph when I'm traveling 30 mph. My guess is that the Sport and Limited read correctly with their larger wheels/tires. Could anyone confirm with your GPS? Is there any easy dealer fix to correct this error. I like to drive 70 on the freeway and now I have to plug in 74 mph.
    My limited is off about the same (19" alloys w/ Toyo tread)... around 66+/- MPH on the Nuvi and 70 on the dash.

I usually just set the Cruise to the GPS when on long hauls. I do fear that it shows more miles than actual though. Suppose we could calculate this to be about 101.5 miles on the ODO per 100 real miles traveled.

Since I keep 'em for 10ish years, I don't care much.. although I just crossed 13.3k ODO miles after about 20 months of ownership (job change, lots of rentals, etc.. long story). Maybe I'll get 15 yrs out of this one...

---seeker
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Retorquing the drive shaft bolts would not have applied to you anyway since you have a 2wd Highlander.
  • disownerdisowner Member Posts: 1
    I have the same noise as you have. It seem to occur more when the car sits out in the sun on a cool day. It is very annoying. It never seem to happen when I take it to the dealer.
  • cavitecavite Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,
    i'm a new member. I was searching for a forum regarding tire sensor pressure.

I bought a used 2008 highlander (not a highbrid) with 26000km on it. So far the suv is working good and i don't see any problem and i already put in 4000km.
    The only problem i have is about tire pressure sensor light which is showing again for the second time.The first time, i had the dealer to reset after replacing one of the sensor. Now it came back again. i'm trying to reset after pumping the 4 tire with even pressure except the spare tire which i didn't bother to pump it.
    Question: Do i have to pump the spare tire with even pressure to 4 tires?

Question: Is it possible to disable the indicator light? Can i ask the dealer to disable it?

Can someone in this forum teach me how to reset and detail instruction what is the best thing i have to do.
    I was always thinking ,what if my warranty finish i will always go to the dealer and pay.I don't think it is good.

Please help me on this issue.
    Thanks in advance..
    Hello:
    I have Highlander -2008-Limited and experiencing same issues. Dealer tells me the sensor is very sensitive and not much they can do. Yes, it can be disconnected if you wish by the dealer. Be sure to also check the tire pressure on the spare tire too.
    Tire pressure does fall when weather goes from one extreme to the other. Living in Michigan, I can attest to that fact. Pressure reset button is under the dash just to the right of steering column. Kinda hard to find the little button. Directions can be found in owners manual. After I found it the first time, I used a red "Sharpie" pen and placed small red dot under the dash to point me to the area this "little" reset button can be found. During summer, no issues with pressure light.
    Bought my vehicle new and so far, I like it a lot... Have owned it about 1.5 years.

Hope this helps..
    thanks a lot for your reply. i have question, are you doing it by yourself? if you do, please tell me step by step, because in the manual is kind of confusing.

please help it is really annoying to see that indicator light.

once again thanks
    I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander w/Nav. I purchased a year ago. So far the vehicle works fine, and I've been able to use most of the Nav features. I'm not the most teach savvy person, but I have not ever been successful is setting up voice tags. The dealer doesn't have anyone who knows how to do it either. I also called the Toyota Experience and they stated they know this set up process is a problem and not intuitive. But even their instructions, follow page 352 in owner's manual did not work. I've tried everything in the manual but nothing is working. I can get to a screen that says voice recognition is off, but can't find a way to turn it on. If anyone can assist a not tech savvy person on how to do this I would very much appreciate it. Thanks
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    I have been all over Dallas, Ft Worth, Tx , looking for a 2008 or 2009 Highlander with a Factory Tow Package, but to no avail. They tell me there arent any to be had within the {5}Gulf States area. Any suggestions?
    The tow prep package does not include a trailer hitch and 4-flat wire harness. You need to buy these separately.

Are you having trouble finding one with the tow prep... or turn-key ready to tow?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Does Toyota even offer a factory tow hitch for the Highlander? (not tow prep, but turn-key ready to tow using factory parts)
    Yes, but its expensive.. like $700 for the hitch, harness and connector. Not including labor - but if you're handy, you could do it yourself.

I chose to go aftermarket and save $400.
    The 2008 part number for the hitch is PT228-69080 and includes:
    1 Trailer Hitch
    1 Trailer Hitch Plug
    1 LH Mounting Bracket
    1 RH Mounting Bracket
    1 Molded Lower Fascia Cover
    1 DIO Installation Instructions
    14 M10 x 1.25 x 35mm bolt
    1 Plastic Push-pin

The part number for the under-dash wire harness is PT219-48871 and includes:
    1 Converter
    1 Flat 4-pin wire harness
    5 Plastic tie
    1 Special plastic tie for stud mount
    1 Packing
    2 Bolt (M5)
    2 Nut (M5)
    1 Nut (M6)
    1 Fuse (30A)
    1 Owner's manual

Hope this helps.
  • molinemoline Member Posts: 14
    The "5000 pound" tow prep package doesn't include the hitch or wiring harness, but it does include other items like a heavy-duty radiator, transmission oil cooler, and a larger alternator. Depending on how much weight you need to tow, these may be overkill. Without the towing package, I think that the Highlander is rated for 3500 pounds

I installed the OEM under-dash wire harness kit on my 2008 Highlander, but used an aftermarket (Draw-Tite) hitch as the OEM hitch does not support weight distribution systems. Again, depending on how much you plan to tow this may not be an issue for you, but if you plan to tow trailers with significant tongue weight, being able to use a weight distributing hitch makes a huge difference.

The wiring harness cost somewhere around $125 for the part, and took about an hour to install. I don't know if this harness can be installed on a car without the tow package though. Installing the hitch involves removing two panels on the underside of the back of the car, removing 4 bolts, and bolting the new hitch where these 4 bolts were removed. It should also take about an hour to install. The OEM hitch installs with a lot more bolts, and is more integrated with the bumper. The downside is that the fascia cover is black, so unless you have a black Highlander it won't match the body color. Overall I am very happy with the Draw-Tite hitch, it tows well, is much less expensive, and doesn't extend much below the bumper.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Thanks to moline and toyseeker for your helpful comments. I haven't totally decided on a Highlander yet, but towing ability and cost is important to me. I guess one advantage the Pilot has over the Highlander is that towing prep is done at the factory, at least for their Touring model.
  • fspattfspatt Member Posts: 3
    Not sure why you'd want to disconnect it. I have an 2008 Highlander and the sensor works great! The first time it went off, I checked all 4 tires but the sensor remained on. Then I remembered the spare! I checked the spare and it was 5psi low. I inflated the spare and the sensor reset.

My advice, check the spare before disabling a good thing.

Best of luck!
    Hi fspatt,

thanks a lot for your reply. How did you do that? I did what is in the manual and i put in 32 psi to all the tires including the spare but still the light is on.
    when i start the engine, the light will flash 50 to 60 times and it will stop light is on , i mean it will stop flashing only.
    i want to know what did you do and i will do the same.

thanks for your help in advance.
    Greetings:

Yes, indeed check pressure on the spare. However, in my most recent post on this subject, my dealer advisor also showed me the reset button under the dash to reset the tire pressure sensor as well. It is to the right of steering column and is a tiny black push-in type button. Located under the dash where firewall meets the dash plastic. Not too hard to find and once I did locate it, I put small RED dot with Sharpie Pen to indicate the location of the button.

Works like a charm. No need to tear apart and disengage the light. Once you press this button light will flash three times ( I believe) and be that will be it.
    Hope that helps situation.

Skypilot.
  • hotrod28hotrod28 Member Posts: 9
    We have a 2008 highlander limited. I bought a drawtite bolt on hitch 30 min do it yourself if you are a little mechanical about $200. The rub is you have to buy the wiring harness from Toyota to get the lights to work correctly. $100 for 3 ft wiring harness. Plugs in on the left side inside the fenderwell. get at it from the inside of the car. also easy install.
    Don't forget about installing the under-the-dash relay. Very surprising Toyota didn't just build these things into the tow-prep pkg.. they are all quite simple and cheap components (ie. a good relay is $8 retail).
  • fspattfspatt Member Posts: 3
    Hello;

Didn't really do anything but add the air. This is a relatively new technology that is using an active component in the wheel to report this.

Has this always happened? Did you add anything to the car (iPod interface, other electronics) recently? If not, chances are that it's a bad sensor.

Have your dealer temporarily replace each tire, one at a time, to determine if it's a bad tire sensor. Like all electronics, things can go bad.

Honestly, this is too new for even some of the dealers. Kind of like the active headrests. I still contend you don't want to disable the capability.

Like I said, mine works great and I haven't really had to do anything. I does a good job reminding me to add air when the weather changes.

Best of luck!
    If the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) warning light is flashing, it indicates a fault has been detected in the TPMS system that will require further diagnosis. Common faults include a bad tire pressure sensor, a defective keyless entry receiver module, a fault in the TPMS or body control module (BCM), or wiring problems in the keyless entry/TPMS/BCM circuit.

On most Asian import applications, each sensor has a code that is programmed into the TPMS control module at the factory. If one or more of these original equipment sensors is later replaced with an OEM or aftermarket sensor, the new sensor code(s) must be manually programmed into the TPMS system using a scan tool. That means a trip to the dealer if you do not have a factory scan tool or an aftermarket scan tool with the appropriate software in your shop. Vehicles that currently require this kind of reprogramming include most Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota models.

WARNING: If you have a flat tire on a vehicle with TPMS sensors in the wheels, do NOT attempt to fix the flat by using an aerosol tire inflator/sealer product. The sealer may gum up the TPMS sensor inside the wheel and prevent it from reading normally. Most aerosol inflator/sealer products have a warning on the product label stating they should NOT be used in wheels that contain TPMS sensors.

(The above was taken from aa1car.com)
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/
    look at FAQ's

Will Operation While Driving be enabled in my system?

Operation While Driving is available for updates to 03 and 05 navigation systems (PZ485-X03EU-08 & PZ485-X03RU-08), except for the TNS600 system of 03.

wonder if this will be a policy available in the USA?
  • cfcbuyercfcbuyer Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response to this. I am looking for the exact thing and GST does not order it from the factory with the tow package. I was looking for a 4 with it,but will settle for a 6 with it. Any help would be appreciated. The problem with ordering it it that I want to use the CFC program and those _ _ _ _ in DC only put up 1B for the program which might last 2-3 months.
  • caitrocks75caitrocks75 Member Posts: 4
    When I bought my Highlander in late 2007, I didn't order the navigation system. I'm not really sure what I was thinking, mostly about the price I guess. Afterward I regretted it and went to Toyota to try to buy one. They wanted to charge me $1400 for an aftermarket system that didn't even fit right in the console. They were going to have to frame it out with plastic and put flaps to cover the two big radio knobs. It was ugly!

Anyway, almost two years later, I bought one on Ebay. It is the factory Nav system from Toyota. Exactly like what you would get off the assembly line. It was under $1000 including shipping. My husband and brother-in-law installed it today in about four hours...they said it would be easier the next time (I of course hope there isn't a next time.) :)

If you are one of those who didn't buy a Nav system when you bought your vehicle, and didn't want to buy an aftermarket one because of the way it looks in the console, there is HOPE!. The guy I bought it from has the Ebay name "cantulla". I'm sure others are for sale on Ebay, but I can recommend this guy. Here is the link to the one I bought. He doesn't have any others posted right now, but I'm sure you can ask him and he'll probably list one for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I- - T&item=300330770834
    Hello:

YOU may be sorry that you bought the TOYOTA Nav. I bought 2008 Highlander Limited and my sales guy + dealership "talked me OUT" of buying the Toyota model for one simple reason. The upgrades to the maps are VERY expensive and features of the Toyota model are far more inferior to the latest Tom-Tom or Garmin brands. Plus, the Tom-Tom and/or Garmin upgrades to the maps are MUCH cheaper and much more user friendly. I bought the model you can use as hand-held, use in another vehicle, or out on the boat. Like it a lot and very user friendly.
    So, for what YOU paid, be READY to spend some money when it comes time to UPGRADE your maps on the TOYOTA model. I am NOT sorry that I did NOT buy the Toyota model.
    Be aware of tearing apart your dash and voiding any warranty features as well.
    Good luck.
    Well I have had my 2008 Highlander with navigation for about 1 1/2 years now, and both my wife and son have the Tom Tom portable units. I can say after trying all of them quite a bit, I am still very happy with my built in Toyota unit. Yes, it is not perfect and does have some limitations and drawbacks, but for me, it works very well. As for updates, I have not ordered any yet, and feel no need to do so anytime soon.
    The main drawback for me with the portable units is the mounting. There is no good place to mount it other than the windshield and it is very distractring and annoying at times. I also like the integration of mine and the bluetooth unit. Maybe not for everyone, but not everyone is going to like the Tom Tom either.
  • cmomchancecmomchance Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for my boss to find a color key for the navigation system on the Highlander - for example when driving green is displayed for parks & golf courses, blue for beaches and water areas - what is pink, red, yellow/beige and other colors?
  • jilin74jilin74 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2008 Highlander Limited, at 18k miles. I have been hearing a sound for the past a few months often at low speed, when I just start the car and pulling out of drive way or park the car. Now I think of it, I hear the sound when I am driving the car in Reverse Gear. It sounds like the sound is from the suspension or brake (sound more like snap of a spring). It's a short and one-time sound, yet I am curious whether anyone else has the same experience and whether I should have it checked out by the dealer.

The car drives well and fine otherwise.
    I now have about 26,000 miles on mine, and have not experienced a noise like that...in fact, I have had virtually no problems at all with mine...great car! Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the dealer look and listen to it to make sure.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sounds as if what you're hearing might be dueto the "backlash" in the brake pad mounting. The pad is free to move just a tiny bit when you change from forward braking to rear braking.

Most common when you park overnight having pulling straight forward into your garage and then brake to stop. During the night the pad will "seal" ("stickion") to the rotor and now in the morning when you back out of the garage and/or apply the brakes in reverse, you will hear a sound as the pad "snaps" loose and moves backward/forward about 0.050".
  • jilin74jilin74 Member Posts: 24
    That makes sense.

Thanks a lot for the info. :):):):)
  • swer82swer82 Member Posts: 6
    I live in New England and recently purchased a 2010 Toyota Highlander base Model V6 4WD I am having reception problems with the FM Band. I have approached Toyoyta Regional and they claim it is a design flaw and offer -0- for fixes or corrections.

I asking the region of Toyota Owners for some feedback. What do you think and have had similar problems? :lemon: