Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Again, theres a lot of assumptions being made here. We don't know how much weight the HL has gained in gasoline form. And, weight gain comparisons should be apples to apples.... for ex, the base 4 is GONE. The V6 is standard. Of course a V6 is going to weigh more than the 4!

Also, we don't know anything about fuel efficiency just yet-just that Toyota said its comparable to the previous generation. I'll take that - faster, roomier, safer and still as efficient as the slower, smaller, and less rigid model? Why is that so wrong?

~alpha
    Gas = July
    Hybrid = late Sept, I believe

~alpha
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Well, there it is in all its glory.
    Another boring Toyota. At least the interior looks nice (for a 1990's car)

The quality difference isn't all that significant any more (Toyota recalled more vehicles in '06 than it sold), and they're still looking for a sense of style. OK- they are better looking than Subaru's (and I say that affectionately, as I just bought one), but design style is an area where GM could teach Toyota a thing or two.
    What is so 1990s about the interior? The Optitron instrumentation or the NAV-independent rearview camera? Just curious.

And WRT fuel efficiency, M/T states "Toyota will offer a four-cylinder model, but it won’t be ready until some time in 2008. Toyota is saving the Highlander’s engine bay for a new generation of four-cylinder engines. The fours will range in size from about 2.5 liters to 2.8 liters, and will feature a dramatically lower-friction drivetrain and advanced cooling system."

Seems like the organization was smart in not putting in the middle-aged but very competent 2.4L - power and efficiency would likely suffer in the new iteration, and the current gen. struggled with this engine, IMO, in AWD versions...

I'm hoping to see at least 175 horse out of the 2.5L, and FE gains over the current 2.4L.

~alpha
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    And you think all this is free?
    You think that tomorrow all SUVs can get better mileage than a Prius, but that the car companies just refuse to do it even though all the customers want it?

Less weight costs more money to achieve.

Here's a very light--but consequently expensive--car:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But it costs $75,000.

You can't afford the extra fuel economy. They could make the cars out of carbon fiber, but then you won't be able to buy them.
    Maybe you should examine your lifestyle and see if it is financially sustainable if fuel costs are a concern. Maybe you need to downsize.

It goes like this:
    ===========================
    Consumer wants more and more "safety" every year (whatever that is anymore).

Manufacturers add--stiffer metals, more airbags,roll sensors, fancy new traction technology, collision avoidance chips, make the vehicles bigger and with stronger materials.

Weight goes through the roof.

Mileage sinks like a stone.

Costs go up.

Consumer cries about mileage.

Car companies use exotic materials like carbon fiber, plastics and trick engine tech.

Those cannot overcome the extra weight that the "More safety!" lobby wants.

Mileage increases by negligible amounts.

Costs go up. Prices follow.

Consumers stop buying.

Rebates follow.

Car companies lose money.

No money for engineering slows down other progress on fuel economy.
    =========================

The simple fact is, if you can feel it, you can't afford it.
    Downsize, move out of your fancy subdivision and closer to work.
    Get a smaller car--or better yet--bike or use public transport.
  • goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    We have a 2001 & 2002 Limited H/L's and love them both. We have owned several Toyota vehicles and I see this 2008 as our next purchase. IMHO Toyota quality (fit and finish) have always been in the upper grouping (compared with the others). Thanks for the links and pictures.
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    I completely understand the disappointment (I'm as well). Looking at the FT-SX I expected something really sporty:

Toyota plays as safe as possible with every design. Even interior is really not that special compared to Honda.
    And I agree reliability went down with the Avalon (which the HL shares parts with it). Honda and few other brands are just as reliable.

The other problem is that at the price it probably will compete with Acura MDX (a loaded 4WD HL will approach MDX).
    Fuel economy is definitely not class leading either...

I could understand you would buy it because you're used buying Toyota and you feel you can trust the reliability (and it doesn't have to excite you either). It's sad though you can't have an exciting car as well.
    I'm sorry there is no way a Highlander will be at MDX prices with similar features. A loaded Highlander *MAY* top-out a grand above where the BASE MDX begins(a hair over 40K including destination), but with all the bells and whistles, the MDX will be MUCH more expensive (actually, 48,300 including destination).

And if you say you're going to compare a Toyota interior to a Honda interior, you might actually want to choose a Honda interior, and not that of a $48K Acura. A better comparison might be HL vs. Pilot, or RX350 vs. MDX.

Toyota reliability has been an issue with a FEW of the recent first year designs. The Avalon included. However, Honda is not immune to this (reference the VCM issues with the Ody). Time will tell.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Simply underwhelmed by the new Highlander exteriorwise, reminded me of a slight update on the previous gen, and a bit Subaru Forester, and a bit of a larger RAV4.

Bottomline, the GMC Acadia,Saturn Outlook, Mazda CX-9 look much better IMO.

I do enhoy the interior of the highlander, at least they did not fail there.

B.
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    As for the exterior styling, I have to wait to see it in person. I was hoping for something more like FT-SX, though.
    I personally don't like the trend that all of the manufacturers have taken to get rid of the body side moldings. I think the flat panels are too plain looking and while one could argue the effectiveness of them, the moldings on my '07 HL are quite wide and have to do some good, I would think.

If you watch the video from the car show, when the guy opens the hood, there is still a prop stick to hold the hood open. This looks real cheap and old Japanese small car design. Does Toyota only use the hydraulic hood openers in the Lexus line?

I prefer the current angled window switch panels as opposed to the new flat panels. I think the 45 degree angle makes it easier to see the buttons. I hope that they at least have all of the buttons lit at night now as opposed to the current design where just the driver's window button is lit.

I wish that the left foot rest for the driver was a solid rubber block like on my wife's Tribute. The way Toyota does it, it is a rubber insert with carpet all around it. Not very practical because when you feet are snowy and muddy, the carpet gets destroyed.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    They are both essentially the same vehicle just with different styling for different tastes. Being a 2 person family now we'd opt ( have already ) for the Highlander. 15 years ago if they were out at that time it would have been the Sienna.
    The only sad thing is that you're sad.
    You don't have to buy a car that is not exciting.
    Honda and Acura make very good-looking and exciting cars as well.

Toyota will never change if you keep buying everything they make based on ignorance and misconceptions.

We know Toyota can make good-looking cars:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You just have to refuse to buy the ones that aren't.
    So I tend not to listen to Toyota loyalists who whine. It is up to you to change Toyota.
    Yes I see now I made a mistake in pricing comparison. I was looking at the Toyota HL Hybrid which is around $35K (otherwise it's around $30K with still less features).

The MDX is as loaded at 40K already. The options you get for the extra 8K are not even available on the HL (adaptive suspension, video entertainment, heated rear seats, power tailgate, ...).

Sure I'd make a tiny, tiny statement by not buying it (and maybe a bigger statement if more people think that way).
    Hope Toyota gets the message:-).

Don't get me wrong I can still see why many people will buy the '08 HL. It's just disappointing that Toyota doesn't want to take the slightest risk in design. Probably better if we would have never seen the concept...
    Yes I see now I made a mistake in pricing comparison. I was looking at the Toyota HL Hybrid which is around $35K (otherwise it's around $30K with still less features).

The MDX is more loaded at 40K. The options you get for the extra 8K are not even available on the HL (adaptive suspension, video entertainment, heated rear seats, power tailgate, ...). Sure comparing to Pilot is more fair but the pricing difference is really not that big unless you go with the base.

Sure I'd make a tiny, tiny statement by not buying it (and maybe a bigger statement if more people think that way).
    Hope Toyota gets the message:-).

Don't get me wrong I can still see why many people will buy the '08 HL. It's just disappointing that Toyota doesn't want to take the slightest risk in design. Probably better if we would have never seen the concept...
  • boobotboobot Member Posts: 4
    I am not going to go dig up the articles you can search for yourself but there are metrics on the decline of Toyotas impeccible quality. One item is a class-action lawsuit by owners of select Toyota and Lexus models who complained their car engines were damaged by oil sludge.
    Actually, on the new Highlander, you CAN get video entertainment and power tailgate, but NOT adaptive suspension or heated rear seats... your list is only partially correct.

~alpha
    Sure but I think you get my point that a similarly equipped HL is not much cheaper. Looking at the 2007 you would pay around $35K to get a similar equipped vehicle. And even at that price you still are missing some features.

I do assume most don't buy the fully loaded HL and can do without leather seats, heated seats, moonroof (?)...

However with the hybrid you can't get it at an entry level price (it's now already starting at $37K without even a sunroof)...
    Therefore I was comparing it with a luxury SUV...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The current HL V-6 AWD has a curb weight (as specified by Toyota) of 3880 pounds. Already pretty heavy. If the new model comes in around 4200, that's significant weight gain to me. Not to mention, the 4Runner, with a truck-based chassis weighs that much. For a car-based vehicle, that's some serious PORK to me, but then the new Edge and the GM Lambdas are the current record holders for pork among car-based models.

As for this: "I'll take that - faster, roomier, safer and still as efficient as the slower, smaller, and less rigid model? Why is that so wrong?"
    I do appreciate your philosophy there, and that is the traditional way the automotive industry has worked. But gas was spiking close to $3.50/gal around here this summer, and I am sure that future spikes will be a good deal higher in the next five years or so. So me, I would have opted for "just as fast or a touch slower (this is NOT a sports car, nor is it meant to be one), roomier, safer, and more fuel-efficient". Just a different perspective, that's all. Sigh.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Don't be so sad. I see a huge,so to speak,grinding opportunity here.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    For some the bottomline is that none of the aformentioned vehicles can come close to Toyota for reliability in survey after survey. And that is what keeps Toyota buyers coming back again and again.

It is the more unreliable cars who must come up with more modern design to sell their vehicles because they are not as reliable. And so it goes.............
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    You will likely see the FT-SX (or something very similar) as a new Toyota cross-over vehicle in the near future. It is scheduled to be released in 2008. Incidentally, the Pilot (not the MDX) is the HL's direct competetion.
    You will likely see the FT-SX (or something very similar) as a new Toyota cross-over vehicle in the near future. It is scheduled to be released in 2008. I am also a little disappointed but not surprised with the new HL. It's just too big for me (don't like the RAV). So, I will patiently wait for Toyota's new cross-over. Incidentally, the Pilot (not the MDX) is the HL's direct competetion.
    Although we have seen some comments of 500lbs more for the 08, we have not seen the exact pound difference. But we have the size comparison now:

07 08
    Length 184" 188.4"
    Width 72" 75.2"
    Height 69.3"
    Wheelbase 106.9" 109.8"
    Ground Clearance 7.0" 8.1"

Although I am not quite sure of the height of the 07, I believe it is about 1" less than the 08.

Nothing to lose any sleep over as far as specs that I can see.
  • sazmitty312sazmitty312 Member Posts: 19
    i agree with you all that a loaded HL will be in the price range of the base MDX or even toyota's own lexus RX350. but i wonder what honda will do with the new pilot also due out this fall. i donno how honda is going to distinguish PILOT from MDX b/c pilot basically shares the same platform (MDX) and honda probably wouldn't want to take away some customers from the MDX since the PILOT will be a lot cheaper. so what honda did to distinguish the CR-V and the RDX, it'll be interesting to see what the new pilot will be like? and if you all don't like the new highlander since it'll be more expensive, i'd wait for the new PILOT and see what it looks like.
    I haven't heard yet when they will announce the 2008 pilot but certainly curious. There are some spy 2008 pilot pictures floating around but it's really a MDX test vehicle for some new equipment.

The CR-V certainly changed so it's possible Honda takes also a more redical approach with the Pilot.

I doubt there will be a FT-SX. It would compete directly with the HL/RAV4 and Toyota hasn't ever done that before.

I do believe the rumor that there will be a new Lexus crossover which might be based on the FT-SX. The next RX will be bigger and therefore that would fit well.

Regarding weight: IIRC correctly on average every 10% reduction of weight results in 5% fuel economy improvements.
    So that might be not that much in this case.

Also with the additional standard safety features and other gagdgets I can see why it's heavier.
    I would love to see a 4 cylinder that would be more fuel economic even if it's slower. But we're not living in Europe:-(... Toyota rather saves manufactoring costs by just offering 1 engine and the HP race is still on:-).
    I had heard something like this as a rumor also with it being built in KY.
    You should really at least READ about the cars you discuss. There is indeed a BASE Highlander Hybrid that DOES NOT start at $37K. (It starts at $32.5K). Same will go for the next generation.

~alpha
    Motor Trend has stated that a new family of 4 cylinder engines (of which many have known for some time)... will be intro-ed to the Highlander line next year, potentially displacing from 2.5L to 2.8L. I don't think this is necessarily untrue.... and would potentially give some here what they want - greater efficiency at the price of acceleration (though I can't imagine it will be slower than the current 155 horse set up).

Additionally, I've said it before and I'll say it again, from what I've read the 500 lb weight gain applies to the Hybrid - Here is what the press release states:

------------------------------------------------------

Highlander's advanced Hybrid Synergy Drive system has been extensively upgraded and refined for 2008 for both power and economy. The new Highlander gained about 500 pounds, growing significantly in every dimension and receiving extensive body and chassis reinforcement, aimed specifically at achieving best-in-class crash ratings. Not only were engineers able to increase output to 270 net horsepower, they were able to maintain Highlander Hybrid's impressive fuel economy at 31 city and 27 highway.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    All of that info is WRT the Hybrid; there is a separate section for the Highlander (gas).

I would be VERY surprised if the gas Highlander AWD V6 tips the scales at 3800 + 500 = 4300 lbs.

~alpha
    "I doubt there will be a FT-SX. It would compete directly with the HL/RAV4 and Toyota hasn't ever done that before."

There will be a new Toyota cross-over vehicle. It will not compete with the HL or RAV. Although car based, the HL and RAV look like SUVs. The new cross-over (based on the FT-SX)will resemble a fancy tall wagon. It will be larger than the Matrix. Toyota is going to try and cover every corner of the market (like it does in Japan). They are looking at improving total vehicle sales. They are the only company that has the financial resources to develop new vehicles.

In additon, Lexus is also going to introduce a smaller SUV styled vehicle in the near future. The RX will not grow substantually. Lexus already has 2 larger SUVs in their lineup (GX and LX).
    "You should really at least READ about the cars you discuss. There is indeed a BASE Highlander Hybrid that DOES NOT start at $37K. (It starts at $32.5K). Same will go for the next generation"

The $37K is the 4WD Hybrid base. The 2WD Hybrid MSRP is $33K. So yes I forgot to mention I was looking for 4WD only... Still $33K is still steep (and doesn't even include a sunroof). I think the Camry is better priced over the non-hybrid.
    I haven't heard anything about 2008 pricing. Will it be the same? Typically it's slightly higher.

Haven't heard before that Toyota is planning another crossover but would be interesting if true (especially if it's FT-SX). Europe already has several 'crossovers' (Verso models) but I don't think they would do well in the US.

The 2008 Matrix should be coming soon...
    Don't look now but the Toyota Highlander has one of the highest reliability rating as determined by Consumer Reports. So all you Toyota Highlander detractors about declining quality take notice................
    I am not going to go dig up the articles ...

YOur initial phrase says it all.

IOW.. 'I saw a headline and I didn't bother to see what the details were all about....'

Just in case you might be interested to know the real story it applies to vehicles designed in the 80's and built in the 90's....many of which are still on the road with no problems whatsoever. Want more facts?

Did you just wake up from a 10 yr sleep? But thanks for your helpful insights to the Highlander.
  • canuckercanucker Member Posts: 19
    "Don't look now but the Toyota Highlander has one of the highest reliability rating as determined by Consumer Reports".

I’ll say. I recently traded in a 02 Highlander V6 with 106,212 km for a 07 Santa Fe 3.3 FWD GL Leather Pkg (5 pass). In the five years of ownership never had a mechanical problem, just followed regular maintenance, that’s it. Maybe I was lucky I don’t know but it’s quite amazing really.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I'm not sure why were even getting all worked up about the pricing. Until Toyota releases the official prices, what's the use of debating the new Higlander's value?

I can't wait to see the final standard and optional feature list for each model. Hopefully there will be other new features that are minor (and therefore not mentioned in Toyota's PR), such as what appear to be puddle lamps on the rear-view mirrors of the Limited.

The photo of the Highlander interior and the MDX interior left me very impressed with the Highlander. These two are definitely in different classes, yet the Highlander looks just as luxurious.

I saw an MDX on the road today and found myself a bit underwhelmed with the styling. However, I thought it was extremely attractive in the photos I saw when it was first introduced. I'm hoping the opposite will happen for me with the Highlander. :)

Another interesting comparison is to the RX350. The '08 Highlander leapfrogs the RX with larger wheels (19" on the Sport and Limited) and features such as the push-button start ignition. I guess that's the drawback of a staggered product life-cycle between the two models.
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Member Posts: 13
    I can add a bit to this, as I had a 2001 Tundra that had the sludge problem, and it would have cost me 5K, in 2004, just out of warranty, for a new motor just out of warranty. Of course, I said no.

The settlements at the time were taking care of the smaller V-6 (a 3.4 maybe? It's in older Siennas and pickups) but not the larger V-6 in the Tundra. Perhpas they are taking care of that engine now too.

There are countless articles in and out of the automotive industry talking about how Toyota may have grown too far, too fast, because there has been a noticeable decline. Don't forget, we're still talking better than the domestics.

These same articles talked about how good Hyundai has gotten quality wise. Perhpas that will help you remember the sort of articles I'm talking about.

David Becker
  • peterk9peterk9 Member Posts: 7
    The new Highlander can be seen at toyota.com/newhighlander

Peter
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    So after such stellar service you decided to replace your Toyota with a different brand?

The '08 HL was a little too long in coming huh? The current model has run on too long, IMO.

:-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

You are right on target. Pictures and the "real" vehicle are oftenn miles apart. Let's hope for the Best!

I will reserve my final opinion until Summer when it hits the showroom floors.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander. Looked at the new model in MotorTrend this morning. Looks like a uglier version of the new RAV4.

I have seen the new GM crossovers in person and they are much better looking than this. Even the Ford Edge is better looking.
    Opinions on styling are purely subjective, and often, the reactions that are generated by pictures may be different in person. I agree that the GM Xovers are attractive, but in person, they are undeniably HUGE looking.

And... have you driven the Edge, its actually a quite nice vehicle, as long as you plan your stops in advance.

~alpha
    I'm impressed as well with the new GM crossovers, although not having driven one yet, because GM seems to have done what Toyota and Honda have been doing very well of the last 20 yrs. GM has staked out a marketing niche with a trio of compelling vehicles. This is almost more important than the vehicles themselves. They have little or no competition in this large crossover subsegment.

I will assume that the new GM crossovers are well made and have the latest technology with the new VVT engines and 6 spd trannies and active/passive safety features. They are however bigger than both the Pilot and new Highlander by a noticable amount. The new GM 2-mode hybrid system in the future will be, if it comes in as advertised, as good a boost as the HSD is for the HH or the eventual diesel is for the Pilot/MDX ( lots going on in this segment ).

Buyers wanting minivan room for 7 passengers, but not a minivan, IMO will look at the GM trio before the Highlander/Pilot. OTOH those not needing this large amount of space will likely opt for the smaller, and possible nimbler duo from Toyota and Honda.

Now complicate everything with the 2-Mode, HSD, diesel options.
    As are opinions on size.

Most people I read think they looks smaller than their interior volume suggests.

I don't even understand why "looking huge" (whatever that is) is important, if the vehicle offers power, handling, ride and more space for the same fuel economy.

"Looking huge" is the last consideration in car purchasing--if at all. It's really way down there, since it has no practical value whatsoever. It's just as subjective as "looks" if not more so.
  • canuckercanucker Member Posts: 19
    Yeah it was, and now that I’ve seen pics of the 08 Highlander I have no regrets in my new purchase. I much prefer the exterior looks of the Santa Fe, the interior is more of a toss up. What I particularly don’t care for is how the upcoming Highlander has grown in all dimensions something that I knew would happen and influence my decision seeing as I don’t need a bigger vehicle.

What surprised me and probably drew me to the 07 Santa Fe is how similar it is to the present day Highlander in dimensions, performance, drive, comfort, cargo capacity and safety only in a more modern package. Only negative is reliability, that’s an unknown to me although supposedly present day Hyundai service and reliability is way improved and the 5year/100,000 km Warranty is certainly a bonus.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Interesting info re the 4s. "dramatically lower friction drivetrain"? Are they direct injection? They would have to be much more powerful for a 4000 lb vehicle. Diesel? Interesting info,thanks.
    What are you talking about? I DID NOT say 'looking huge' was a factor in a vehicle purchase! I too, was simply commenting on the purely SUBJECTIVE point of styling- and making an observation that those opinions may change in person vs. in pictures.

Reread my short post - in person, I found the GMs undeniably large, much to my surprise based on photographs (I did not state this outright, but perhaps relied mistakenly on the ability of forum readerreaders to get that I was surprised by this)

~alpha
  • kuehnphkuehnph Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if they'll put a similar system like they're doing with Ford and Microsoft Sync?
    It sure would be nice to plug in an IPod, have it download all the text and then just tell it what song to play. Toyota has been behind on this technology and I'm sure not trading in my '01 HL for a Ford.
  • kevinmkevinm Member Posts: 9
    Maybe you've seen this? if not, here's a nice site for many mostly exterior pics of the 08 highlander

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-toyota-highlander/
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    1) Current Highlanders are made exclusively in Japan. Do we know where the 2008 will be manufactured? Are RAV4s now made domestically?

2) I routinely see '07 Highlanders being discounted close to $4,000 off of MSRP inclusive of dealer and/or customer incentives. In contrast, RAV 4s typically get perhaps $1,500 off sticker and therefore the two cars appear to sell for similar prices. Is it fair to assume that if I purchase an '08 HL (base, fwd, V6 - obviously), I will probably end-up paying $4,000 more than a similarly equipped '07 HL? If so, is it worth the difference in price. Subjectively, I approve of the new looks, however, unless the '08 has increased driver's leg room and thigh support, I personally see no benefit as I don't need the extra passenger space and the vehicle offers no gain in economy (mpgs) as stated in the press release. In advance, thanks.
    1. To the best of my knowledge the 08s will continue to be manufactured in Japan. They are building a plant in the U.S. for Highlanders but that is a couple years away as far as I know.

2. I see 07 Highlanders with those kind of discounts out here but only for "4s" not V-6s. The only discount for those is the $1,500 manufacturer rebate at the present time.
  • sazmitty312sazmitty312 Member Posts: 19
    i donno how the hell you can compare these 2 SUV's? they are completely different SUV's targeting different markets. MDX's interior looks WAY better than the HL's. I mean come on, MDX's interior has supple amount of leather and real wood everywhere not to mention the metallic trim on the dash layout compared to HL's interior containing a lot of plastic, fake wood and big chrome knobs. besides, MDX offers more interior room, various amounts of luxury amenities such as heated rear seats and adaptive suspension and also the comfort of SH-AWD, bigger engine w/more horsepower, torque and towing ability. so these are completely different SUV's and i'd rather compare HL to the next gen honda PILOT!