Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    ..'Limited' SPORT 2WD $35270 iirc

Leather, heated seats, Power lift gate, moonroof, JBL 440 wt + BT, 19" wheels. It's a lot wider, my 2004 HL happened to be next to it and it looks like a RAV compared to the new HL. The new model also looks to sit lower to the ground but I think that's an optical illusion because it's wider.
  • shimmer11shimmer11 Member Posts: 28
    I noticed just now that the front page of toyota.com has changed. Hopefully the new build and price of the '08 will be updated soon!

-Andy
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Salsa red Sport with cloth, didn't notice if 2wd or 4wd but the sticker was $31k and some change. I'm off today but came in to search for a Sienna for my doctor.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    For 19", power tailgate, moonroof, and JBL.

The larger wheels probably help the vehicle look lower.

I don't think the styling is good or bad. It looks like a Rav4 V6 with chassis reinforcements.

DrFill
  • shimmer11shimmer11 Member Posts: 28
    Looks like everything is live except for build and price.

-Andy
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I stopped by the Toyota dealership today and picked up a 2008 Highlander brochure. It mentions tilt/telescope steering wheel and 4-way adjustable headrests on the Limited/HH Limited w/leather. The Toyota site only mentions tilt wheel and 2-way adjustable headrests. I'm guessing the printed matter may not be as up-to-date as the web site. The site may still be evolving in regards to the details and prices. The outgoing Highlander had color-keyed splash guards and roof cross bars as standard on the Limited line but they are now listed as optional accessories.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey
  • charliegirlcharliegirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I called two local dealerships (in Massachusetts) and asked whether they'd received any 2008 Highlanders in the showroom yet. They both told me that they weren't being released until September for the gas model, and one said November for the hybrid and the other said FEBRUARY! What gives? Are they totally out of it, or is the Northeast not going to get them until much later? Thanks for any insights into this...

- Charlie M
    The gassers were released today nationwide hybrids are 60 days leter.. go somewhere else.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    The build and price function worked for me at the Toyota website (I'm near San Francisco). I do like the pearl white color btw.

There were some glitches with the site, but a base AWD with an A Package in that color's total price was $30,115.
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Looks like toyota website is up to date for building a 2008 highlander now.
    Just got back from test driving the 2wd Sport we got. First my overall impression of this vehicle. Keeping with a trend Toyota started with the 05 Avalon is the use of cheaper materials. The plastic door panels look like the ones on the new Tundra. Same goes for the cloth interior. The panels are not fitted as we expect from Toyota and there are a lot of gaps. This model also has the new door lock buttons that are used in the Camry, RAV4, and Yaris. They are very small and hard to find when not looking directly at them. Having said that, it will still sell in bunches because of the logo that's on the hood. :)

Driving impression: We set out at first with me as a passenger and one of my colleagues as the driver. We also had another passenger in the middle seat. The driver complained of sluggish performance although I thought it was adequate. I told him to put it in the sequential mode and see if he could feel the difference. It was quite an improvement. The ride was very quiet and smooth. Quite quieter than the model it replaces. We switched seats and I got on the drivers side. I went strictly sequential and it was nice. I took the first exit ramp towards the expressway and just shifted gears to my hearts content. The shifting was very smooth, up and down, no hesitation. The power from the 3.5L V6 was there when you wanted it. We came back to the boulevard and I decided to make a U turn to test the VSC. Works as advertised. I gunned the accelerator and through my peripheral vision saw the VSC indicator flashing. Back at the dealership I backed it up onto the ramp and the back up camera came on. The screen is about the size as the one on Tundra and good for backing out of a driveway to make sure you don't run over the kids bikes or the kids! ;) I can't wait to get my hands on a Limited and feel the difference in the ride. I hope the fit and finish of the interior is corrected otherwise it will show up as squeaks and rattles later on.
    Mackabee
    From Toyota's "Customer First" quality initiative.

One problem with Toyotas is people definitely walk in and expect Ergonomics, seats, panels, materials are expected to be two steps above the competition. Usually they aren't disappointed, it's just a matter of which dealer the purchase will be made from.

DrFill
    They better start putting their money where their mouth is then. Like I said before the quality of materials they are using lately is not up to par.
    Mackabee
  • jpetercjpeterc Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from the local dealer and I was thinking about ordering a '08. It will be a loaded one with a model # of 6956A. Has almost all the options except running boards and tow package. Dealer said boards aren't available yet. I wanted the exterior color to be Barcelona Red but I was told the only red is Salsa red. The base price is $34150 with $4395 in options and $645 for destination charges which comes to $39190 and roughly another 10 percent for tax and license. My questions are does this vehicle only come in Salsa Red and is it really worth $43000? Comments?????
  • pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    I think even though it's just been released, you can do better than MSRP.
    The 'Limited' SPORT we received is worlds better than the current '04 Highlander my wife and I drive. The new model is more attractive, with far more features and better ergonomics than my current one.

The ride in both is very quiet and very smooth. The new model is far more powerful though. The new model is much bigger so it may appeal to a different buyer than a two adult family.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    The dealers around the chicagoland area have not recieved any 2008 highlanders yet. They probably should recieve them any day now.
  • jathreyajathreya Member Posts: 4
    I saw a Salsa Red Highlander Limited with Nav being prepped at Toyota of Fremont, California. The sales consultant pointed to the window sticker and said, "Oh right. They've added Xzilon protection too". Guess what this Permaplate of the 21st century will set you back by? How about $2500? A nice little dealer markup. Caveat emptor.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    on toyota.com, and it seems like a lot of vehicle for the money;

38K for a LOADED model with leather, moonroof, tow pkg, NAV, cold weather pkg, Bluetooth, dual digi climate, ski/snow crossbars.

Give me a winning lottery ticket and sign me up
    ;)
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    i was with on a test drive last night in a suburb of chicago so yes they are here! it seemed like a very nice ride to me-i like the look of it also. the person i was with did not buy it but plans on doing so when more colors are available. they had 4 on their lot-2 white a silver and a dark grey. it was orland toyota
  • ggddggdd Member Posts: 3
    I just checked the carmax.com,it provides $900 over invoice,from the 5 pass 4X2 $26K to fully loaded limit 4X4,close to 39K.I think it will sell at below invoice soon.
    Most 07 rav4 3.5 (same as HL) sell below invoice now.
  • ggddggdd Member Posts: 3
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    One in silver, one in blue. Both had dealer stickers and plates from what I could see. They look pretty good in person. :shades:
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    My lease on my '04 Sequoia SR5 will be ending in December and I'm looking for a replacement vehicle. I'm not interested in the huge new '08 Sequoia that will be coming out around the end of the year. With gas prices soaring, I'm beginning to feel guilty driving a huge vehicle when I don't tow anything except the two kids and all their sports equipment!

How does the new '08 Highlander compare to the current model of Sequoia in terms of size, cargo area and amenities? The prices appear to be similar to what I negotiated the '04 Sequoia price on my lease three years ago. :surprise:
    I think it has more room than a Chevy Tahoe (90 cubes).

The vehicle should be a foot shorter, and with the new V6, will have about the same HP (270 to 271), but obviuously less torue for towing.

For less than $35k, it should be strong value. :)

DrFill
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oh boy, more mop and glow. :shades:

That's a good segue to introduce a new feature at Edmunds - dealer and service reviews.

Go to the Find a Local Car Dealer link and drill down to your dealer. Once there you'll find links to write a review about your purchase or service experience. Other owners will appreciate learning about the rip-off room practices of the mop and glow guys.
    They jack the price up so sticker seems like a good deal.

Part and parcel of the "Bigger Idiot" School of salesmanship. Every dealer has a chart in the tower, like a Periodic Table. :surprise:

DrFill
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Aaah, yes, the old Xzilon add-on trick. I've seen people pay $400-800 for it, but never $2500! It's almost pure profit, and you can buy a good paint sealant for $30 and have the same basic results if you reapply every year.

Apparently the Xzilon reps do a good job training dealers how to market this rip-off. They probably get very good bonuses, too, seeing how many people fall for it.
  • finlayfinlay Member Posts: 1
    I saw my first 2008 Highlander today at a dealership here in San Antonio. They have a Salsa Red one on display in front of their showroom. I thought it looked very nice, better than the pictures. It has a strong, handsome look. This one was a Sport model with a good many options, and the price from the factory was $34,000, but there were also a lot of dealer add-ons, so the total went up to just more than $37,000. I'm actually interested in the hybrid, but I have been wanting to see what the vehicle looked like in real life, and I was not disappointed. In a few pictures, I thought it looked somewhat too long--almost like a van-- but I did not get that sense when I saw it today.
    I'm very interested in seeing what the new HH pricing is also. I think the HH has better acceleration overall and the technology is 'proven'. Boy, there's a weird concept to get the mind around..LOL

Suppositions on pricing of 2WD models
    Base ICE $28-$30000
    Mid Trim ICE $30-32000
    Mid Trim HH $34000
    Ltd Sport ICE $34-$36000
    Ltd ICE $36-$38000
    Ltd HH $38-$40000

Even though the vehicle is longer it doesn't look out of proportion because it's also wider. It is big though.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    Those of you who have seen the Highlander in person -- how does it compare size-wise to the current Sequoia?
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    The closest dealer to me called today to let me know they had recieved a brand new 2008 Highlander Limited that was loaded. It was a demo only unit with the window sticker putting it at $42K.

Exterior looked good. Not quite as boxy as the MDX but didn't go all the way to the "bubble" look showing up on a lot of cars lately.

Interior was nice, seating surfaces, controls, gauges were top notch and had a Lexus feel to them (the "deep" LED gauges have to be seen to be believed, they are gorgeous). The plastics for the dash and side panels were only average quality I expected better.

Very little storage room behind the 3rd seat when it is up. MDX I believe had more room behind the 3rd row when it was up but I could be wrong. You would be hard pressed to even get some groceries behind the 3rd seat when it's up on this car.

Rear seats were very comfortable and my 5'5" wife said she would be comfortable in the 3rd row for shorter trips. The 3rd row seats didn't seem to have an incline adjustment but the 2nd row seats did. The stow and go bench seat for the 2nd row seat seemed a bit gimmicky and I didn't mess with it.

Smart key entry and push button start is a nice feature that will be standard on virtually every car in the next few years I think.

In driving the car the first thing I noticed was how light the steering is. My wife noticed it too, it's VERY light, almost so light you could drive the car with one finger. I'm personally not a fan of this since it's geared towards dainty people who complain they can't park their cars without over boosted steering. This feeling persisted until the vehicle was brought up to about 60mph on the highway then it got somewhat stiffer.

Road noise was low and the ride was fairly smooth and didn't pound over bumps. Gauges, etc, were easy to read. Navigation is the standard "touch screen" variety with lots of customizeable options. Large screen is fairly easy to read but not sure that the JBL stereo + Navi is worth the $2500 they are asking.

Dealer says that the hybrid version won't be showing up until the end of September and to anticipate it being around $4500 sticker higher than the ICE version. That would put a loaded HH at about $46K or if you dropped the navigation, RSE and a few other extras you could get into a well equipped HH for around $40K-$42K. Acura MDX WITH NAV can be negotiated for around that price currently with some effort.

Dealer said that they already have 8 deposits on the HH and that inventory for it in 2008 will be very tight as production numbers are lowered on the HH from 35,000 to 25,000. They don't expect to budge from sticker on the HH since those who want it will pay full sticker on it unless they end up with unsold inventory sitting on the lot. This dealer will only be loading cars up to go on the lot, anything special order will require a deposit.

All in all very nice car that will stay on our short list for the time being.
    :shades:
    North Eastern WI dealer has 6 of them for the taking. Just got delivered yesterday. Appeared most, if not all, were base or sport models.
    So it sounds like the 3rd row is good for people 5'8" or so. That is quite a step ip from the last one, which was for pre-teens only. :blush:

DrFill
    It's still smaller than the Sequoia but bigger than the RAV4. More interior space than a 4runner. Actually it is very similar to the Mitsubishi Endeavor.
    Mackabee
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    ...but dual exhausts like say, on the Murano, would have made it look really nice, especially on the SPORT. Oh well...
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Something I forgot to mention is that the new engine is pretty peppy and the transmission is very smooth but it seemed like the car did not want to switch into a lower gear for better acceleration up on ramps, etc.

Switching into sequential shift mode seems to fix this, even if I didn't change the gears manually it seemed to make the engine/transmission more "sport" oriented than leaving it in drive (now if they'd only offer it with a 6-speed manual!).
  • secondrigsecondrig Member Posts: 21
    Got my first look at the 08 and took a quick spin. It's a terrific vehicle, but, as I feared, it's just gotten a bit too big. I've owned two highlanders and am about to jump ship. The Highlander is a bit too big and the RAV too small (and without some of the perks that come with a Highlander, especially the size and comfort of the seats).

The test drive confirmed some of the other posters' discoveries. A "soft" but very good feel to the handling. Versatile features (though I question taking away the driver's armrest). But I found the extra weight to take its toll--it seemed a big more sluggish. And both the salesman and I thought there was more wind noise on the highway. All that said, if I wanted a vehicle this size I'd be happy to drive this car.
    I'm sure Toyota did more than it's share of customer focus groups in terms of likes/dislikes, etc., about the original Highlander but I can't help but feel that much of the original Highlander's success was due to the fact that it appealed to people that wanted a 4WD SUV that was carlike in ride, roomy, comfortable and fairly luxurious without being to big. I really thought the next gen HL was going to be more crossover like, e.g., Murano or the likes. With the next Sequoia getting even bigger (which I really don't get given the trend in gas prices) I'm not sure they got this one right. Time will tell...
    The Highlander (both old and new) isn't a crossover?
    I guess technically they are, however, I think of a crossover as I said more like the Murano, Infinity FX, where they seem like a more sporty personalized vehicle and not a larger family hauler.
    From the van-based Pilot better, and the Rav4 is almost as big as the old HL. The Pilot is almost the size of a Tahoe.

So they have something for people who really may need a Sequioa, but don't need a truck. It would be a full-size for those who don't want a full-size (truck). Tough balancing act.

It probably will split the dfference between the Sequioa and Rav4 in size.

DrFill
  • titandoctitandoc Member Posts: 5
    I read a post a few days ago about prices on fitzmall.com. I checked into it. I will be buying this i the next 2 months. Many posts state that dealers are not coming off MSRP. Hence, I was looking at a sport, AWD with Nav. I noted that Fitzmall has prices at 900.00 over invoice. I found a Limited AWD with Navi for same price I could get a sport.
    Question is:
    Anyone have any personal experience with this place?. Heard any stories, know if it is legit. I will definitely check with BBB to get some kind of authentication.
    Any thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated. :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Toyota Highlander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience and Edmunds just started a dealer rating and review module that you should check out too:

dealer ratings & reviews
    Fitzmall is well-known all over the E Coast. Lot's of buyers use them as their 'bargaining chip' when they go visit their local dealer. 'Well I can always fly into BWI and have Fitzmall meet me there with my new vehicle then drive home' to [ Maine, NY, VA, NC, etc. ]. They are very reputable and on the up and up.

No I don't work for them, I compete against them. But for all the ease of doing business this way they don't grow as fast as one might think. Somewhere there is a disconnect and I don't know what it is. Maybe it's too easy.
    I live in MA but I'd go down there.
  • blagblag Member Posts: 2
    Yes the A/C vents are standard on all 08 Highlanders equipped with a third row. The rear vents are actually mounted in the roof and it can be operated from either the front or rear A/C controls.
  • blagblag Member Posts: 2
    No shortage down here in Tx. We have around a dozen Dbl. Cabs, 3 of which are Limited and 7 Crewmaxs, 4 of those in the Limited package sitting on our lot right now.
    Yep that's true now but at the initial launch earlier in the year there were too many V6 work trucks and too few of the upscale models. That's a mistake Toyota doesn't usually make.
    I see one accessory available is body side molding. Any one have feedback on how it looks or links to photo's w/it on? Just thinking it might be a good idea to prevent some idiot :mad: from tossing a dent in a side panel while in a parking lot.