Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    I know the '08 highlander hybrid is coming out in September, but i'm holding out til april of '08 to get the hybrid version. Will it be worth it buying the hybrid version? I want to get it fully loaded. Also, does anyone see the prices coming down for the '08 hybrid version of the HL?
  • Options
    jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    My local dealer has told me that Toyota has reduced inventories on the 2008 HH from 35K units to 25K so that they can build more Prius.

Expect very tight inventories and long waiting lists. My local dealer already has over 12 people on the waiting list for the HH and is selling at sticker only. They said to expect a six month wait on the vehicle and that they won't be selling at under sticker anytime in the next six months unless they have cancellations or building inventory. I suspect that will be the case with all dealers in my area. Less affluent parts of the country it might be possible to get dealers who will have the HH on the lot and willing to deal on it come Nov/Dec.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Initially the HH's will probably be at sticker. Leadtimes will depend on the volume made available as noted by jmpage2 and the pricing of course. The best way to limit the sales is keep the price high. If the pricing remains unchanged from now it might be hard to limit the sales because the pricing would fall right into the middle of the other trims.

Here is an interesting point though...they just lowered the price of the Hybrid Camry!!!! I guess that they want to sell more of them along with more Prius'. If they ramp up production of the HH's look for the same price or lower.

It will be interesting.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Toyota didn't really lower the price of the Camry Hybrid. To me, your post implies that Toyota cut the price of the Hybrid with the same equipment. Actually, Toyota has changed content on the 2008, making formerly standard items optional.

Toyota cut the price to $25860, but they also cut:
    -alloys
    -leather steering wheel and shift knob
    -electrochomatic rear view mirrors
    -CD changer
    -JBL

Accounting for these items, they didn't really reduce the price of the TCH, it seems, at all.... it just starts at a lower equipment point.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Toyota Highlander Hybrid board too.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You are correct alpha. Personally I think it's a cheesy move by Toyota. :( We have no problem selling them the way they are now so why change a good thing?
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Yes to be precise they are now offering a lower trim level. To the public this appears to be a lower price that the dealers will accept which should encompass a larger group of buyers.

But yes I agree with your clarification.
  • Options
    More volume. As you well know there are a bunch of Camry owners who just don't want a lot of 'frills and extras'. OTOH better fuel economy is something that presses a lot of the right buttons.
  • Options
    microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    Blag,

I actually went to take a look at the '08 that did have the 3rd row. It didn't have vents in the 3rd row. To get vents for all three rows, I think you have to order one of the 3rd row A/C options.
  • Options
    pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    Overall, I'd say it's currently best in class (class being CX9, Veracruz, Pilot, Outlook). It's really a nice vehicle. I still liked the MDX a bit more but considering price, the new Highlander competes pretty well.

The ride was excellent IMO. It soaked up New Hampshire pavement very well. It was on the verge of being floaty but it'll be my wife's and she liked it. I could easily live with it and it'd be a nice counterpoint to my Subaru with STI suspension.

I thought the interior was very well done. There were a few cases where the materials weren't the greatest but it has to be remembered that this isn't an Acura or Lexus. The front seats weren't as comfortable as the MDX but, for me, better than the Veracruz or CX9. The second row had a lot of leg room and the movable seats were a great thing (can have leg room or carbo or some tradeoff).

A child's car seat does fit in the middle of the 2nd row. There are only 4 LATCH anchors at the base of the seat back so it requires robbing the inner two. However, there is an anchor in the middle for the tether strap. This was important to me so I was glad to see it.

The engine and transmission are very smooth though I tried to be gentle with it. I'm used to a much quicker car but it wasn't awful

The downsides I saw were that the auto climate control was pretty confusing. Also, with the 3rd row up there's practically no luggage space. In fact the 3rd row headrests were about 6" from the rear glass.

It's pretty much our top choice right now. I just have to see if I can get it optioned the way we want it. Theoretically, it is possible to custom order a Toyota but it requires a cooperative dealer and luck, it seems.
  • Options
    "Theoretically, it is possible to custom order a Toyota but it requires a cooperative dealer and luck, it seems."

Yeha, as long as you get the options Toyota's distributors want you to get. ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    So now in addition to the "loss leader" CE Camry will have a "loss leader" Hybrid version too! :blush:
  • Options
    miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    How do you think the Highlander Hybrid looks for April of 2008? Also, is it worth getting the HH? I'ved read that Hybrids don't actually get the mileage that is advertise. Do you suggest getting the regular Highlander?
  • Options
    Here at Edmunds there is a Forum on existing owners and their reactions. Lots of existing owners will share their experiences.

You an also go to GreenHybrid.com and look at their database to see what others are getting.
  • Options
    I'd agree with pablox with a couple of exceptions.

The MDX is more expensive than the Highlander assuming that you pay sticker on both but dealers seem more willing to deal on the MDX.

You can get a Highlander limited that has leather seats, etc, for $34K but in my region of the country they can only be ordered with one of three option packages that pushes the price to $38K (and that's without nav).

MDX also has a longer warranty, "premium" service from Acura dealers, etc, for what that's worth.

The two cars are very close. The MDX is built on its own "truck like" SUV chassis, the Highlander is built on the Camry chassis. MDX starts at a higher trim level and is only available with AWD standard, you can buy a 2WD Highlander if you live in a part of the country where you don't need AWD. MDX takes premium fuel, Highlander can be ordered in hybrid trim that gets 28mpg.

At the end of the day, it would make the most sense for us to get the 2008 HH Limited but I have a feeling that the way we would want it equipped it would be $44K. At that point I would probably just sway screw it to the gas savings, and get an entry level MDX for under $40K.

It's a tough choice for sure.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
  • Options
    The MDX chassis isn't trucklike at all. In fact, it's very similar to the Highlander chassis (unitbody, mac strut front and independent rear suspension). I would expect the current MDX chassis to be used on the next Pilot and minivan.

I totally agree with your other statements though. Part of my comparison is based on what I think actual selling prices will be over the next 4mo or so. The MDX will be sold at invoice whereas the Highlander will likely be sold close to MSRP.

If I could get a Highlander Sport at close to invoice with the options I want, it's an easy choice.
  • Options
    shotcallashotcalla Member Posts: 4
    I am also thinking about the MDX vs. the Highlander, the next generation Pilot would also be an option but that is a year out.

The MDX is better finished, longer warranty and more power, it is also slightly smaller and doesn't have a rear window that opens. I could probably get a loaded MDX w/navi & RES for about $44.

If I can get a loaded HL limited w/navi & RES for $38-39 I will probably get the highlander.

I am interested in how much cargo room the HL has with the third seat down.

I plan on waiting at least another 3 months and will then see how much dealers are willing to move.
  • Options
    Yes, you are right the MDX does have a unitbody and is not really a "truck" chassis. It was however purpose built as an SUV platform whereas Toyota like most manufacturers is building their crossovers on car chassis.
  • Options
    IIRC, the MDX has 84 cu ft with the 2nd and 3rd row folded. The Highlander has 94. It's a bit odd since the MDX is very slightly longer.
  • Options
    qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I was actually suprised to get an e-mail quote from my dealer with pricing that's below MSRP. In my area, the new models tend to sell for MSRP at least during the introduction period (i.e. the FJ was MSRP-only for months after its introduction).

I was also suprised to see that of the several option packages the distributor is ordering, one of them fits my needs perfectly (FWD, JBL, power back door, rear auto climate, rear spoiler).
  • Options
    titandoctitandoc Member Posts: 5
    I am trying to decide between the two. I am not sure if it is worth the extra mula for the HH. This is my rationale.
    The HH should avg 26 mpg combined, I assume the Gas HL avg 20 mpg combined. I drive ~15000 miles/yr at $3.00/gal.
    The HH would save me ~ $520.00/yr.
    I have read somewhere that they expect the HH to be an extra $4500.00 more than conventional gas model.
    Assuming the HH is $4500.00 more than a gas model, I would have to own the HH for over for over 8.5 yrs to get my investment back. I have never owned a vehicle for > 5 yrs.

Does not make financial sense!. Any other advantage I should see in the HH. Any thoughts, clarifications, opinions would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • Options
    henningsenhenningsen Member Posts: 1
    I'd like some feedback from those people who have also driven the Highlander 2008. I drove a base Highlander 2008. The car had not been fully preped; which meant that the VSC was not calibrated/ enabled.
    The issue that I had was that the vehicle was really really sensitive, and very sloppy with a lot of oversteer. My wife had some problems with stabilty when going down hill and around curves. It was like driving a car with a flat tire or too-low air pressure in the tires. The sales lady said that the VSC might be the problem.
    There must have been something wrong with the car's setup.
    Has anyone else felt like the Highlander has stability issues? What was your impression of normal handling.
    I will say that the front seat room is luxurious. Leg room is great for tall drivers and the telescoping steering wheel adds to the comfort
  • Options
    You felt it oversteered? I'm a bit surprised and, if true, I'd say it was air pressure or VSC. Oversteer is definitely not likely in any vehicle like that, especially a Toyota.

What kind of car are you used to?

I thought normal handling was fine and quite stable. I hope the Sport will be a bit firmer though. You should probably test drive another before making a decision. I'd suggest testing a Sport also.
  • Options
    Your analysis is correct with two caveats.

1) If the pricing on the HH is actually $4500 over a similar ICE version. That's unknown at this time.
    2) What will be the price of fuel in the near term?

You have to look at your total transportation cost as vehicle plus fuel. Using your numbers which may very well be correct...

ICE model is X
    HH is X + 4500

The cost of fuel for..
    ..the ICE model is (15000 x 5 yrs x $3/gal)/ 20 mpg = $11250;
    ..the HH model is ( 15000 x 5 yrs x $3/gal/ 26 mpg = $8655

Your total cost of transportation ( Vehicle + fuel ) is:
    ICE : x + $11250
    HH : (x + $4500) + $8650

So if the numbers are accurate with a $4500 premium and $3/gal fuel the ICE costs $1900 less over 5 yrs. The only question is to which huge multinational company do you want to give your money? But..

If the premium is less than $4500 and/or fuel ends up being $6/gallon in 5 yrs ( which is very likely btw ) then all the numbers change. Which way do you want to bet?

The final point is that 26 mpg is a very realistic average for combined driving. Some drivers though regularly get 28 mpg on average and 30 mpg is not unheardof. 28 mpg is a realistic upper range with good techniques.

We are now at a turning point in automative history where the future is clear but the timing is not so clear. At some time in the near future we will have multiple drive options, multiple fuel source options, much more expensive fuel and probable shortages of petroleum products. Is this 4 yrs from now? 8 yrs? or 12-15 yrs?

Again there is the line. You make your bet.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Drive a car not ready for sale. They are test driven by service, and then calibrated. Tire pressure monitoring may've been disabled. Pressures not equalized.

Haste makes waste. Of time. :(

DrFill
  • Options
    brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Here are my thoughts on this.

1. Driving a Hybrid is not all about just saving yourself money in the long run it is about polluting less, helping the environment, trying to prevent global warming (very scary stuff). What is that worth to you?

2. There are also many tax incentives for Hybrids not only some with your own tax (they continue to lower as more are sold, but still there) but also many companies get tax breaks themselves and thus give their employees money towards hybrids, like Bank of America which gives $3000 towards hybrid.

3. Gas savings...now if you take $3/gal right now, who believes this will be the case even in 2 years? I would bet that it ain't $3/gal, in fact it is more then that. Lets say the avg price of fuel over the course of 6 years is $4/gal, assuming $3 at the beginning and $5 near the end of the 6 years, so your gas savings increases over that time period.

4. I do not believe it is a $4500 difference compared to the equally equipped gas model, but this has not been confirmed...what is the difference for the 2007 model...I know you cannot compare the base highlander to the base hybrid...I thought it was a like a $3000 difference.

Hope this helps, I am just frustrated that there is only 1 family vehicle on the market that is hybrid...I wish I liked the new highlander more styling wise as that is it :(.

B.
  • Options
    carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    I checked out the 2008 Highlander yesterday. It is not as large as the discussions suggest. In fact, without the 3rd row seat, it is only a 4 passenger car; and with the 3rd row seat in use, it has almost no storage space left. The materials are not up to past Toyota quality; some of the plastic looks downright cheap. I intend to drive it this week and will report more later (the car I was able to inspect was already sold and not available for a road test).
  • Options
    max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    Waited a long time for the Highlander to come out, finally test drove a base Highlander and was greatly disappointed. The ride was harsh, interior materials lacked and the rear cargo smallish in space. The seats were comfortable, but really thats the only positive. It also looks slightly better in person than in photos. We test drove three other cars that day, CX-9, Acadia and the Pilot. They all had a much nicer suspension and were larger in size. Final winner was the Acadia. We really wanted the reliability of the Toyota, but too many other negative factors.
  • Options
    shimmer11shimmer11 Member Posts: 28
    Have fun with your Acadia Max63. I ordered a base Highlander Saturday without hesitation. Yes, I may be crazy but I think is is a very solid car. I will keep all of you updated on how this purchase goes.

-Andy
  • Options
    It's hard to find one that has as much power as the HL, that also weighs less than 2 tons (base model), much less offer 95 cubes in the rear. :surprise:

It's obvious the HL was designed to one-up the Pilot, the primary competitor.

DrFill
  • Options
    kmchotwheelzkmchotwheelz Member Posts: 3
    I finally saw an 08 in person.It didnt have a 3rd row but i dont know how you are supposed to fit 3 people in the 2nd row.The center in unrealistically narrow.My daughter ways about 50 lbs and she even thought it was small.I was a bit dissappointed,I would consider it a 6 seater because any one who can sit comfortably in the center should still be in a booster seat.
  • Options
    I mounted my daughter's car seat in the middle of the 2nd row (with all three LATCH points). It's a 5 passenger car with the 3rd row folded. The person in the middle of the 2nd row might not be overly comfortable but it's better than being in the 3rd row of any of the direct competition (save possibly the Acadia).
  • Options
    It's very interesting that people say the ride is harsh. I drove a Limited which did have different tires. However, the suspension calibration is supposed to be the same and, in fact, the base version has taller sidewall tires.

For me the ride verged on being too soft. Like I said before though, I guess it's what you're used to.
  • Options
    And it starts $2k more than the Edge/Pilot/HL class. Anything over 190" goes into the next class. Tha Acadia goes over 200".

Plus the HL still tows more.

DrFill
  • Options
    In looking at the features of the Base Highlander and the Base HH there might actually be a $4500 pricing difference.

1. There will be no FWD version of this HH, they will all be 4WDi. That's a $2000-$2500 differential right there.

2. Standard features the Base HH will have that the Base Highlander will not have:
    ..minor Exterior accessories
    ..in glass antenna with FM Diversity
    ..3500# Tow Prep Package
    ..Back up monitor, 3.5" MFD
    ..SKS
    ..minor Interior accessories
    ..VDIM
    ..Engine Immobilizer

Options that can be included on a Base HH which are not available at all on a Base Highlander:
    ..Power rear liftgate
    ..Dual climate control
    ..Power drivers seat
    ..Steering wheel controls for audio and climate control
    ..Homelink, illuminated vanity mirrors, 2nd row reading lights
    ..2nd row fold flat levers
  • Options
    The CX9 is about 199" long though I'd call it the same class as the Highlander, Pilot, etc.

Regardless, fitting a CX9 or Acadia into my garage would be tough. Therefore, both are out of the running. A lot of people do compare the Acadia/Outlook to the Highlander/Pilot/Veracruz/etc. though.
  • Options
    Currently having an '04 Highlander, a great vehicle, this new version is much nicer than ours ( V6 4WD w/SR + LA ) and it's the same price. I don't notice the 'cheap' material differences being mentioned.

But who are the intended buyers for this new model? The reason I ask is that that 2nd row Center Stow seat seems as useful as ......... If I was 30 Something with two small kids in car seats and a preteen that Center Stow would never be in use. So who would use it? In a pinch maybe.

But the pricing starts at ~$28000 and realistically will be about $30000+. Young families on a tight budget? $32000? Probably not. This leads me to believe that it's being directed toward older more financially capable couples rather than a young family of 5 with the parents in their late 20's.

Thus the RAV now takes over the position of the base Highlander which was apparent when the 4c model was dropped. But Toyota is building a 200K unit Highlander plant in Tupelo? They've never reached 200K units with the first Highlander and now it seems to be directed to a more limited market. I think Toyota may have the clearest crystal ball of all the vehicle makers when looking at what will sell to which segment now and into the future.

So why would they build a plant with 50% more capacity than they normally sell? Perhaps they see that fuel prices are only going up from here at $3/gallon and the traditional BOF SUVs like the 4Runner and Explorer and Pathfinder and TrailBlazer will disappear from sight.

In 2010 with fuel say at $5/gal..
    ..owners of 2002 4Runners come back for their next Toyota wanting something more efficient than 17 mpg.
    ...young families won't be wanting many V6 4WD vehicles but a good 30 mpg 4c RAV might just fit the bill.
    ....a RAV-sized 'Prius' CUV at 40 mpg then would cover the whole spectrum from $22K up to $40K.
  • Options
    Thus the RAV now takes over the position of the base Highlander which was apparent when the 4c model was dropped. But Toyota is building a 200K unit Highlander plant in Tupelo? They've never reached 200K units with the first Highlander and now it seems to be directed to a more limited market. I think Toyota may have the clearest crystal ball of all the vehicle makers when looking at what will sell to which segment now and into the future.

So why would they build a plant with 50% more capacity than they normally sell? Perhaps they see that fuel prices are only going up from here at $3/gallon and the traditional BOF SUVs like the 4Runner and Explorer and Pathfinder and TrailBlazer will disappear from sight.

On the money. More improtantly, the Tahoes/Expeditions/Durangos will downsize next time around to a CUV with a 3rd row seat.

Toyota selling 150-60k in 2008 sounds about right, plus maybe they can sell some in Canada? Exports?

So Toyota will have a small-med CUV (Rav4) and a large CUV (HL). Just like 4Runner to Sequioa. Cover the market, and then refine. The HL now won't lose so many sales to the larger Pilot. The difference between the two was pretty large.

DrFill
  • Options

On the money. More improtantly, the Tahoes/Expeditions/Durangos will downsize next time around to a CUV with a 3rd row seat.

Toyota selling 150-60k in 2008 sounds about right, plus maybe they can sell some in Canada? Exports? If they can centralize HL production, it should make them more flexible for other vehicles to increase production when needed. ;)

So Toyota will have a small-med CUV (Rav4) and a large CUV (HL). Just like 4Runner to Sequioa. Cover the market, and then refine. The HL now won't lose so many sales to the larger Pilot. The difference between the two was pretty large.

DrFill
  • Options
    So why would they build a plant with 50% more capacity than they normally sell?

Probably because 1) they anticipate higher demand for the Highlander; and/or 2) they plan on adding additional model lines to the assembly plant. Better to have additional capacity up front than to have to retrofit or expand the plant after it's built, IMHO.

There was a rumor of another 5-passenger CUV that Toyota may introduce, modeled after the FT-SX concept vehicle.

My guess on positioning of the new Highlander? It's for those with a couple of older kids who, once in awhile, need the ability to pack 6 or 7 people in the vehicle (i.e. visiting grandparents, kids' friends, etc.).

If you have a large family to begin with, a minivan is the way to go. I rented a Pontiac Montana this weekend and it was nowhere as refined as a Toyota SUV. However, with the amount of space it had, the sliding doors, etc., it just felt much more flexible than any reasonably sized SUV will ever be.
  • Options
    roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    So why would they build a plant with 50% more capacity than they normally sell?

I was under the impression from past posts that Toyota was working on a new design sporty xover like the soon to released Infiniti Ex35. That is how the extra capacity will be used.
  • Options
    dsw61dsw61 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove a Limited on Saturday. I did not care for the steering as it felt way over assisted and gave very little feed back. The front seats are comfortable. The middle seat in the second row is really not much of a seat and is very uncomfortable. The passenger side and driver side second row seats are fine. The third row seat is ok for kids. The Pilot, Acadia and Veracruz have better third row seats.

The interior materials and trim seemed fine and I did not get the sense that the interior was cheap like others had mentioned. At least not for a vehicle in this price range.

Overall, my wife and I prefer the design of the Veracruz better. If the Veracruz had Toyota's track record for reliability it would be an easy decision.
  • Options
    It would come out of Tahara off the Rav4 line as a luxury version of that platform. But that is at least 2 years away. 2009 as a 2010 model.

DrFill
  • Options
    She should have not let you drive the vehicle. The tire pressure is very high when the vehicles are shipped, the VSC has not been calibrated, and it also has to get state inspected. Bad saleslady. I didn't feel any stability issues, as a matter of fact the VSC worked as advertised.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    What are you talking about? :confuse:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I guess the question for you is would you rather have a 2nd row that seats 3 adults better, or would you rather have easier access to the 3rd row for your kids.

Keep in mind that the EPA numbers for the Veracruz will go down for 2008, from 18/25.

You have some more 3rd seat room, but lose some towing and cargo room.

DrFill
  • Options
    I was under the impression from past posts that Toyota was working on a new design sporty xover like the soon to released Infiniti Ex35.

Here's a link to the FT-SX concept vehicle on Toyota's site.

I know when the '08 Highlander was announced, some were hoping that it would inherit styling cues from the FT-SX. In hindsight, I guess it would have been difficult to do given the Highlander's 3 rows of seats and the concept's swooping roofline.

I'm planning on taking my Highlander test drive this afternoon.
  • Options
    Not trying to insult anybody who buys a Highlander, I'm sure they will be a long lasting, quality SUV. However, each individual on this board has different needs for the family and themselves. IMO,it really is somewhat of a four passenger car, as I tried to fit myself in the narrow seat and could not get in it (Only 5'8). Someone noted they got the car seat to fit in the middle (Seems difficult as some car seats would spill over to the outbound seats, which were big). We have two car seats so that really would not work for us. Now as far as the third row, which would be difficult to access with both car seats installed, very little room is left for anything you might carry. If you are carrying so many people, don't you think your going to be hauling a bunch of stuff?? As far as the ride, maybe my expectations were high, lets just say that it was not a smooth as expected.

Automobile magazine that I just got had many complimentary things about the car, however ended the article with "The GMC Acadia and the Saturn Outlook both offer second-row captain's chairs, along with more interior room than the Highlander, while a similarly equipped Hyundai Veracruz is, overall, nearly as good as the Highlander but cost less. What's more, the Mazda CX-9 is much better to drive. Toyota is going to have to try a bit harder if it intends to retain its status as the king of the crossovers".
  • Options
    Actually the Acadia is marginally smaller, with greater interior room.