Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    A Highlander?

The HL is 188" long. Guess the size of the Acadia.

Just add a foot. :(

More a competitor for the Expedition than the HL. :surprise:

The HL was designed to compete with the Pilot, the other heavy hitter in this class.

DrFill
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    IMO the lambda triplets are GM's best product moves in ages. They've dropped weak products, their minimvan lines, in favor of ... a minivan that isn't a minivan. What this has done is put them in a subsegment of the market where no other vehicle maker exists. The 3 vehicles are stylish, capable and fuel efficient traits that none of the prior minivans had. The three are all bigger inside that the rest of the pack; i.e. Highlander, Pilot, Edge, Veracruz.

A buyer needing seating for 7 or 8 who doesn't want to step up to a Sequoia or Tahoe or Expedition has a good alernative to a minivan.
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    We got my wife's RAV4 V6 when the V6's first came out at Fitzmall (we live in Little Rock). They were $2000 less than the local dealers who were not coming off MSRP at all. All the paperwork was done by Fedex...it was totally painless and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Flew in, got the car and drove it home.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    GM was very smart in keeping the Acadia "trucky" looking; tons of people still want the look of a SUV, but better gas mileage and handling, and the Acadia fits the bill. If you want nice rounded curves, then the Buick Enclave is available, and in between the 2 is the Saturn Outlook.

So I think the SUV crowd will flock to the Acadia, and the rest will be dispersed between the Veracruz, Highlander, CX-9, the new Pilot, etc. etc. etc. Personally I don't need the room of the Acadia, so the Highlander is perfect. And I really don't think dealers will maintain MSRP for long, since there is so much more competition.
  • pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    Fitzmall said they'll order a Highlander with exactly the options we want for a $100 refundable deposit. The only hitch was they said it'd be a 6mo wait. I was very impressed with them on the phone though. No pressure and very helpful.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Toyota seems to be missing the mark lately. The Rav is upstaged by the CRV. The new Highlander looks old and will soon be upstaged by Honda's Pilot. The new Tundra looks great but is soooo big! Honda seems to have the advantage on the most recent redesigns. Toyota seems like it is becoming the GM of foreign makes, too big to quickly adapt to the desire for more economy. Honda also appears to be ahead re the introduction of diesels in the U.S. What do others think?
    Chicks dig the CR-V, but 160k+ sales for Rav4 is rockin' pretty hard! Try to find a CR-V with 3rd row seat, V6, or the level of safety features the Rav4 has.

HL looks like a hit. HL and Pilot are neck and neck in sales, and HL will pass it by year's end. More cargo and towing than Pilot. More power and better economy, plus a Hybrid model, and new features Pilot can't match.

Ridgeline or Tundra? That's what I thought.

Even Civic is having problems fighting off a 5-year old Corolla, being outsold rather easily. And a new one comes next year.

Did Gagrice send you over here? :confuse:

DrFill
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    According to the Honda and Toyota press releases for sales up to June 2007:

CR-V: 104,179 (versus 72,054 YTD in 2006)
    RAV4: 87,124 (versus 75,015 YTD in 2006)

Pilot: 66,632 (versus 70,746 YTD in 2006)
    Highlander: 64,749 (versus 61,357 YTD in 2006)

Back on topic regarding the 2008 Highlander, I drove a Limted 2WD today. I think the smart key, Bluetooth, and power rear door are great new features for my list of "must haves."

The exterior didn't look as large in person as I thought it would be. The 19" wheels give it a muscular look and make the 17" wheels on the base look tiny (ironic since the largest wheels on the 1st gen were 17" and I thought even the 16" wheels looked fine).

I'll definitely investigate having the bodyside moulding installed (but I want to see what it looks like in person first). I'll probably pass on the running boards.

I thought the rims on the Sport and Limited were identical, but the features list on the Toyota web site indicates that they are different. Sure enough, the Sport rims have a dark accent that give them a slightly sportier appearance. The basic design appears to be the same, though.

Inside, I wasn't sure whether I'd be disappointed by the quality of the trim, given some of the other comments. There were a few disapointments -- the door trim has, particularly around the window controls on the rear doors, some cheap-feeling hard plastic. I wasn't sure, but the upper portion of the door trim does not appear to be padded. The center armrest and the compartment it covers also look and feel cheap.

Everything else appears to be step up from the previous model. The leather feels soft and the multi-function display seems larger and more useful in person than I thought it would be. The middle seat in the second row felt fine when I sat in it.

The Limited I drove had a flush, wood-grained lid that covered the aux-in and 12V power outlet. All the pictures I've seen have them, along with the seat heater controls (which my vehicle lacked), exposed. I thought it looks nicer covered and makes the dash seem less cluttered.

Oh yeah...I did drive it. Much more car-like than my 4Runner (obviously), but it does have a slightly more truck-like (maybe heavier?) presence when driving than the previous gen model.

In fact, I hardly remember anything significant about the drive. That's not really a bad thing. Driving the new model felt very natural. Where some would argue that the Highlander (or even Toyotas in general) are boring, I think that's probably the intent of the design.
    Sorry that is so far off the mark I can't let it pass unmentioned.

The RAV is selling at a record pace only limited by lack of production here. When the new 150K unit plant in CA is finished the RAV will go even higher.

The new Highlander looks old?????

Tundra sales have the Big 3 really concerned because it is eating away at the most profitable segment in the market -the retail buyer in the %30-#50K range. The Tundra sales are way way up. And it's big for a reason.

Diesels are an answer for the future but only part of the answer. Honda says that their clean diesel is better than the urea-based technology but it is still vaporware. Then they have the monumental issue of convincing the buying public to switch to diesel. Honda is probably the only one that can do it due to their wealth of goodwill with Mrs Decision-Maker but it won't be an easy task.

Sqeaky-clean hybrid Sienna or diesel Odyssey? Honda's last two forays into advanced technology haven't been their best steps in recent years ( Insight and HAH ). Good engineering poor marketing. Then there is the cost premium for the new diesel technology. GM says it will be in the $4000-$5000 range, Honda may be less, but since it's still vaporware who knows.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That it's the RAV4 that received the critical acclaim of being Consumer Reports' top-rated compact SUV, as well as a C/D 5 Best nod... Yes, the CR-V marginally outsells it, but the RAV is one of Toyota's most successful redesigns recently.
    If you talk to any twenty something who's remotely interested in cars, they all lust after the diesels sold in Europe. Also, people look at numbers the numbers that modern diesels put out sell well. They have huge amounts of torque and accelerate quite well.

That said, diesel has a cost premium over a regular gas engine and it's about on par with the cost premium of a hybrid. Diesels also polute more regardles of the urea injection.
    I saw posted here by one of the Honda sales people that in the training for the debut of the CR V that Honda estimates that 80% of the decisions to buy this will be made by women, alone or as partners. Odyssey? At least as much if not more.

The figure I've heard on Toyota's in general is 75%.

It's the woman who has to be convinced that diesel is every bit as effective as a hybrid, for the same money, with the same availability ( my wife says NO diesel ever until it's in every station in the country ), with the same panache ( HUGE issue ) and same cleanliness.

The bulk of the target demographic is middle America soccer-Mom. It's not male auto enthusiasts. I've done this several times with the buying public: out of the blue ask a woman if she'd like to trade her [ Sienna, Odyssey, Highlander, Pilot ] for a diesel that got 30% better fuel economy? HUH? After encircling herself with garlic to ward off vampires and demons she'll ask, Why?

A lot of education is going to be needed for this to work. But Honda is the one to do it IMO. The buying public ( the woman buyer/decider ) trusts Honda.
    Really hurts Honda's credibility, at least in the short run. Running failed experiments on the legendary Accord is not an option.

I, personally, would wait at least a couple of years before diving into more Accord experiments. If diesel fails on Accord, Honda really can't go anywhere else with a diesel. They're out of the business! :lemon:

Doing a lot, not a little, of customer clinics on diesels, and how to improve the next Accord overall, are necessary before going down this road. Sounds risky to me.

DrFill
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds says "Women either buy or influence the purchase of 85 percent of all new cars and trucks sold in the United States today."

The Gender Gap

Big number no matter which one you use.
    Nobody's happy! :P

DrFill
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know the fuel economy for the 2008 Highlander?
    Or 17/23, 4WD.

Hybrid numbers have not been released yet, but the previous version was listed at 32/27, and owners are seeing 25-26.

DrFill
    Just trying to keep the conversation lively,boys.Lol. The Crv looks much "newer" than RAV with it's decade old swinging gate w/a spare rear door and those mpg robbing faux roof racks. Gimmee a brake! The CRV is the best selling suv period. Wait till it gets a 250 ft lb. diesel and 40 mpg! That's another 60,000 units. Highlander looks old to me,same engine as the Rav,same faux roof rack,soon to be underpowered compared to Honda's 3.7. I like the Tundra but it weighs 4600 with the 6! They have a 3500 incentive to help sell them. Ford appears to be making a "bigger mistake" w/ the new F150,it appears huge! Over half the pickup buyers don't work their trucks. The large pickup market is at high tide right now and will be losing market share to other vehicles going forward. $4 a gallon and half the truck posers will be bailing. Diesel a "monumental issue of convincing". Now that is off the mark!!! Americans don't care if the vehicle runs on Orange Juice if it gets 40% better mileage,lasts longer and has twice as much torque as a same size gasser at half the rpms. Case closed! :)
    Highlander looks old to me,same engine as the Rav,same faux roof rack,soon to be underpowered compared to Honda's 3.7.

What's a faux roof rack? Are you talking about roof racks that lack the cross-rails? While I agree that I don't see the purpose of having them without the rails, Honda also does the same thing with the Odyssey and Pilot.

Appearance is clearly something that's subjective. Personally, I think the CR-V looks great from certain angles, but too round (or bloated) from others. I do agree that the CR-V is selling better in terms of sheer volume than the RAV4. I'm not sure where the others are getting their sales stats from, but I posted the numbers earlier from Toyota and Honda press releases.

Regarding the diesel question, I think one thing not mentioned is the perception some may have of diesel engines of the past. While many of the old traits are no longer true, perceptions can be difficult to change.
    Roof racks with no function for most buyers. Those were GM diesels. I trust Honda to build a good motor. They build more motors than anyone in the world.
    The reason to get roof rails with no cross bars is so aftermarket cross bars (like Yakima or Thule) can be used. The factory cross bars usually suck because they have a bow to them.

As for old diesels, yes, they were awful. However, it was almost 30 years ago when non-turbo diesels (like the Oldsmobiles) were sold in this country. Does anyone even remember?
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    I think that's it's somewhat laughable that someone who is looking at Pilot, MDX or Highlander is going to go flocking to Acadia or the other two variants that GM is offering.

GM has a bit of an image problem with marginal reliability on their other mid-size SUVs of recent years like the Envoy. Reliability on Yukon, etc, is slightly better but nothing to brag about. Many will buy a Toyota who plan on buying and driving it for 7-10 years vs. leasing it for 3.

As far as HH goes, Toyota's hybrid technology is the best "stop gap" measure for fuel economy in larger vehicles until flex and biodiesel come into their own which will probably take another 5-10 years. Lithium Iion batteries coming (hopefully) for the next Prius could boost fuel economy a further 10-20% which is no laughing matter from a car that is already getting better than 40 mpg around town and a midsize SUV that gets 26.

As far as the hybrid being 'worth it' from a purely financial look at things there are few scenarios where it makes sense if you will own the vehicle for five years or less or put less than 15K miles a year on it. The person who the HH makes the most sense for is the person who will put 12-15K miles a year on the car and keep it for 7-10 years (or longer).

Gas is $3 but it won't be a shocker if it stabilizes at $4. I also think it's optimistic to think that in mixed driving the new ICE Highlander will get 20mpg... probably more like 18mpg.

So let's look at this by the numbers.

EPA gives the 2007 HH an annual fuel cost at 15K miles and $3.05 a gallon of $1761 per year.

EPA gives the 2008 ICE Highlander an annual fuel cost of $2406 a year with the same numbers.

at $600 a year in fuel savings (lets round down) then at about 7.5 yrs you break even on the $4500 premium price of the HH (assuming it is that much).

But now lets say that gas goes up to a $4 gallon average price over the next several years.

All of a sudden the fuel costs jump to a whopping $3157 for the ICE per year (15K miles / 19mpg * $4.0) and they increase to $2307 for the hybrid version (15K miles / 26 mpg * 4.0).

Now with an added fuel cost of $800 a year the HH pays for it's premium price after just 5.625 years and every year after that it's putting money back into your pocket.

At $5 and up it just gets plain silly.

So it all comes down to how confident you are that gas prices will stay at or around $3/gallon for the next few years.
    How many people really use roof racks? Honda had a better idea on the Crv. Roof rack is available as an option. Now everybody can be happy.
    If gas prices stay between $2.75 and 2.99, the sky will not fall, and people will actually take responsibility for the vehicles they buy, and the gas they use. It's not pick-up trucks all around anymore. Makers have to spend more to get people to buy the same amount of pick-up trucks.

Someone is profiting on higher gas prices, and they, along with the very unstable situation in the Middle East, will not produce more available gas for us. We have shown we'll pay up to $3 without slitting our wrists, so the $1.75 days are over. ;)

DrFill
    Everybody talks like it's either hybrid or diesel. The two can work together (look at Fedex's hybrid delivery vans). Also, with the way China and India are going, even if we go to biodiesel or some other renewable fuel, we'll still have problems with demand. Finally, growing crops for fuel use isn't without problems.
    Actually my local dealer told me that when gas dipped back into the $2.50-$2.75 range last year sales of the HH dropped off. As soon as the prices went back up over $3 demand surged again.

Same for the Prius.

If anything this tells me that buyers are extremely sensitive to gas prices but seem to think that if gas will stay under $3 a gallon they are more than happy to buy something that will cost them $500 or more extra a year to fill.
    That's what I meant to say. Toyota's and Hondas sales skyrocket when gas went over $3 in April/May. When the price dropped in June, traffic definitely slowed down.

My point was that the market has shown that they will tolerate gas prices up to $3. Once over that, radical changes in buying habits occur, and generally hurt the domestics, in particular.

It would be in the Big 3's, and the US governments, best interest to stabilize gas prices under $3, for the sake of the economy and the domestic's well-being.

DrFill
    Honda had a better idea on the Crv. Roof rack is available as an option.

If the worse thing about the RAV4 and Highlander is that Toyota includes a roof rack (which is optional, by the way, on the Highlander base model), then that's a pretty big compliment.
  • flipwilsonflipwilson Member Posts: 12
    Was not blown away. The exterior is quite bland, and not sure why there is no HID option. My biggest complaint is the horribly cheap ceiling material used even in the limited. It's like a piece of fuzzy cardboard. My wifes Nissan Altima has higher quality materials in the cabin. Another oddity was the flat, boring appeal of the leather upholstry, it just looked like a chair from a nursing home. The ride is nice, however, and acceleration was quite good. I think that the biggest insult was the dealer was trying to sell ALL of the one's on his lot for $750 over MSRP!! I'd have to say he is smoking dope..........These trucks are barely worth invoice price, but when you are looking at dropping close to $42k on a LTD Highlander w/nav, your looking at Lexus pricing now, not Toyota. If you can't get the dealer to sell it for close to invoice, I'd say get an Acadia, Enclave, or Pilot.......Toyota has become quite arrogant.
    Toyota has become quite arrogant.

No. Your dealer is quite arrogrant. But, supply and demand will do that. I'm very confident that prices will stabalize very soon given that the CUV field is pretty competitive and the Highlander is a volume product for Toyota.

I agree with you on the headliner. My 4Runner has a similar fuzzy material. Even the Lexus RX uses some sub-par fuzz. I thought the headliner in a Pontiac Montana SV6 I rented was much nicer than what Toyota uses, but that was the only thing that looked like it was of decent quality.

HIDs would be a nice to have (along with LED tails), but they aren't dealbreakers for me. Bluetooth, the rear-view camera, and the smart key are much more important to me.
    What about the swinging cattle gate of a rear door? Even most cattle gates don't have a 40 pound spare mounted. Other than those things and the,cheaper than Honda,feel of everything it's a nice ride if you get the V6. :)
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I'd find another dealer. Toyota is increasing the number of Highlander Hybrids for 08. Affluence has nothing to do with who gets Highlander. It has more to do with how many vehicles the dealership sells. Toyota has a "turn and earn" policy for providing inventory to dealers.
    :)
    Mackabee
    Sorry Mackabee but none of the dealers currently taking orders on the 2008 HL are discounting. Additionally the minimum wait on a vehicle at this point is six months.

That's just a fact. SUVs here sell like hot cakes. The MDX that is going for invoice in many areas of the country is still selling here close to sticker.

I'm sure better deals can be had for those who are extremely patient and not picky about colors/options.
    Where are you located? It's probably worth traveling out of state in that case.
    Denver area.
  • carstuff1carstuff1 Member Posts: 3
    I too purchased a HL on Saturday, got the 4WD Limited. There are a couple of things that I wish were different (eg, more space in rear when 3rd row is in use), but in general I am extremely pleased with it. Coming from a 2002 Camry XLE, I find the fit and finish to be generally comparable, although the interior of the doors don't have any soft leather-like surface inserts. What I love are: Power rear door, backup camera, comfort of the seats (including power button to extend the seat surface to provide thigh support for taller drivers), Bluetooth, GREAT acceleration, and Smart key entry and ignition (very cool, keeps me from having to dig through my purse to find my keys coming out of the grocery store with 2 kids and 5 bags of groceries). I agree with other comments that the seating design may not suit all families, but it works great for hauling 2 kids plus all my purchases from Home Depot; then the flexibility of the 3rd row (and even the middle 2nd row seat in times of desperation) when I need to haul my kids' friends. I also found the powered steering to be too "floaty"; I would prefer a little stiffer. Interesting that the 4WD seemed less of a problem than the 2WD on this. I was able to purchase a charcoal gray with ash leather interior for $600 under MSRP, plus they threw in free carpet mats. IMO, I was fairly underwhelmed by some of the color choices offered by Toyota -- some odd hues (especially the sandy beige one - has a yellowish-green hue. Yuk.) The basic white, black, gray and silver were all good.
    Where are you located? That's a great deal..............I was so turned off by the arrogance of the 2 toyota dealers here in the green bay, wi area, that I don't know if I really want a highlander because I will need to return to one of the dealers for warranty service. Funny thing is they kept bashing the buick enclave, yet they still have all of the highlanders that were delivered last week, and the buick dealer next door can't keep an enclave on the lot (I have seen 5 different enclaves come and go in the past week)
    I'm in the Raleigh, NC area. We too have our share of arrogant dealers here... I've just had good luck with this particular one (Leith). Good luck!
    $600 off is kind of a courtesy discount more than anything. It's still good you got it. By comparison in many areas of the US (but not in mine) an MDX can be had for as much as $4000 off of MSRP.

It's similar to the discount I got on my 2004 Audi A4 Ultra Sport when those were very hard to get and many dealers wanted full MSRP for them.

If Highlander prices don't come down to earth I might have to consider flying to another city to buy an MDX and drive it back here!

:blush:
    I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews on the 2008 Highlander. Is is worth getting or should I look into other SUVs? Also, I go to the toyota sight to price the Highlander, but it doesn't let me price it with the Rear DVD Entertainment option. Does anyone know why is that?
    I acutally like the buick enclave better than the highlander, but I get a new car every 2 years and am worried about the depreciation on the Enclave vs. the highlander. If I can't get close to invoice, I will get an Enclave, as I have not had a problem with any of the dealers willing to sell near invoice for the buick.
    I don't think anyone should buy or not buy a car based on what they read on an internet message board.

Go test drive the cars, multiple times if necessary. The Highlander is a very nice car but I think that it's priced a bit high for what it delivers. MDX is a "luxo" car that delivers better performance than Highlander for not a whole lot more money (depending on what features you need).

The big appeal to us on the Highlander was the gas mileage and "lower prices" of a comparably equipped Highlander to MDX. The new Highlander is VERY nice but you can see where they cut some things like nicer interior materials, driver seat memory, etc, so that they didn't make the Lexus people mad. For $40K that a Highlander with Nav goes for it should include driver seat memory, HID lights and better interior materials in my opinion. I was very disappointed by the steering response but maybe that was just the car we drove.

If dealers will only sell at sticker though, and you can get a discount on the competitor model the situation changes.

Highlander is still on our short list, and we've got lots of time to make a decision, but at this time I'm leaning more towards MDX.
    Depends on what your needs and desires are. I'd recommend you actually go see one and test drive it, both the base and the limited. Then check out the MDX and other similar cars in the class. The 08 HL is not cheap, and dealers are not willing to deal (yet), except for the occasional courtesy discount off MSRP. I love the one I just bought, because it fits my needs perfectly but I was also willing to pay the "premium" to have it now rather than wait till demand cools. As for the Rear DVD, I don't have an explanation but it was curious that my salesman suggested I go to Best Buy or another car audio store rather than order one from them, as I "would get a better price". Hmmmm... a car salesman walking away from a juicy profit opprtunity... is he really trying to do me a favor or do I smell a fish? :)
    Neither is the Enclave. It's a full-size.

Direct competitors (mid-sized, car-based SUV) include Pilot, Edge, Murano, Veracruz, and CX-9. These vehicles are of similar size, power, price, and economy.

DrFill
    Entry level MDX is $39,900 and it stacks right up to HL in the features department, offering everything HL does at that price other than navigation and the smart key / entry.

Luxo means nothing but what features a vehicle comes with, as evidenced by the MDX taking sales away from Pilot which is getting seriously long in the tooth.
    Toyota has a great track record but I usually don't buy 1st year new models. I typically by 3rd year models as they've ironed out the kinks. I might make an exception with the HH, you never know.
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Flipwilson, regarding the Green Bay dealership. I think it all depends on the sales guy you get. I have been working w/a sales guy there who didn't bash other vehicles I said I was going to test drive. After I drove the limited version he told me that it had just sold for about $1500 under asking price. I haven't made a purchase yet, but so far my impressions have been favorable. Good luck with your enclave.
    I'ved looked at the MDX, but it's too pricey for the features and options that i want.
    Ya, if you get it loaded up it gets really expensive. Still, if you don't need NAV and rear seat entertainment it has virtually everything else most buyers would want for under $40K.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    The MDX becomes very interesting as long as you can get it near invoice, and as long as Highlander prices remain near MSRP: MDX base model (no NAV, no DVD) is about $36k invoice price, and $41k loaded with NAV and DVD. With similar options, the Highlander limited creeps near $41k MSRP.

But as soon as the Highlander prices start plumetting, the $41k Highlander becomes a $36k Highlander near invoice price.