Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2006+

Comments

• Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Thanks for the info on your test results.

Please do not post the same exact thing in the various threads on this site.
  • Options
    danxpdanxp Member Posts: 47
    is it possible to get homelink as a dealer-installed option on any jetta?

i don't think i wanna pay for package#3 just to get that...

also, it's not even offered on the gli or base/2.5...
  • Options
    mapplinmapplin Member Posts: 1
    I am a first time owner of a 2006 Jetta 2.5. Is there any way that I can turn of the beep when locking the car using the remote key device? I would prefer just to have the lights flash as an indication that the car is locked.
  • Options
    germanboygermanboy Member Posts: 9
    There should be. If you own any model higher then the value edition you should have access to this feature through your trip computer (check your hand-book). From there go through the menus until you see "ATA confirm" or something like that. Turn it off. That should od it.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Yes, it is plenty fast enough for us (we have automatic). I just don't get what the expectations are of those who think it is too slow.

Ours also does not "drink gas" we just got 31 mpg in 2000 miles of mostly freeway driving at 75-80 mph. In regular daily driving we have gotten 24-27 mpg. So it is right in line with the 22/30 EPA rating.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I had two VW Golfs, both with stick shift, a 2001 and a 2004. Despite fairly mediocre city mileage EPA ratings, they actually gave me good commute mileage - 30 for the earlier one, and 32 for the second (I wondered if the change to electronic throttle helped). Later I saw a study by the Auto Club that confirmed that VW's match their EPA ratings much better than some other cars. So I think VW doesn't try to "game" the driving cycle with gearing etc., just goes for a good driving experience, and real world numbers turn out good for mileage. Glad to hear you are getting 31 mpg on the freeway, that is super.
  • Options
    germanboygermanboy Member Posts: 9
    I just found out on the VW web page just how many features they STOLE form the 2005.5 2.5 model. The features that got deleted for 2006 are:
    -dual climate
    -trip computer
    -heated seats
    -rain sensor
    -light sensor
    -automatic rear mirror
    -coming/leaving home
    -maybe even more
    These were the luxury features that made the 2.5 special. I admit that I was lucky enough to get my 2.5 before they stripped them. I do understand VW strategy though. Most car reviews of a new model are done within the first half year of that model (that is a guess) and are in the books now. All reviews praised the incredible standard feature content so that the car was a shining star in that regard. Smart but disappointing.
    The 2005.5 was a great deal. The 2006 is only mediocre in comparison (I am still a Jetta lover though). If I had to choose today, I might upgrade to a 2.0T, but back then the lower price + luxury features won out.
  • Options
    jeauxsrjeauxsr Member Posts: 9
    :sick: :confuse: :blush: :lemon: :shades:
  • Options
    homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I drove a 1995 Golf rated 24/31 - a car that consistantly delivered 35mpg highway, and 25 city (consistantly over 100K miles that I owned it.)

Is the mid-20s/low 30s MPG range that I've read here common for a 2.5/5 spd combo? I think I've talked myself into another VW, looking at Jetta or Rabbit. Is anyone seeing better than 25/31??
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Dude, these things have gotten a lot heavier and more powerful over the past few years. For the mileage you want, you need a Polo - which of course isn't sold here. At least the current generation aces the crash tests.
  • Options
    25/31 is about where we have been. In 2000 mi of mostly freeway travel at typically ~75 mph, we got 31 mpg.

In normal suburban cummuting got 27 in warmer weather and 24 in winter. This is on non-congested roads.

CR measured 33 highway (I think they do this at 65 mph), 17 city. Note that their city mileage is pretty much worst case and Jetta actually did slightly better than some cars that are rated higher. For example, Accord is rated at 24 city by EPA, but CR measured 16, IIRC.
  • Options
    homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    Motorweek, testing a Jetta 2.5/Auto, claimed 30 MPG on their test loop. If you look at other test cars' mileage on the same loop, that 30 MPG was very good (our only evaluation, since we don't know what makes up that loop.)
  • Options
    lvn098lvn098 Member Posts: 26
    Hi,

I am in GA and I was offered 21K for a white Jetta 2.5 with no additional package.
    Tax, Tag & Title not included.
    Is it a good buy?
    How much did you pay for yours?
  • Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Ivn098,

I'd personally wait a few months for a 2007 model. VW just dropped pricing dramatically on the 2.5 Jetta's for 2007. I would almost say the 2006 models will lose some value. Here's the pricing ..

Jetta 2.5L(Value edition) 150 HP
    5-speed manual $ 16,490
    Tiptronic $ 17,565
    Jetta 2.5 2.5L 150 HP
    5-speed manual $ 17,900
    Tiptronic $ 18,975
  • Options
    Presumably there will be some de-contenting with the lower prices??? If so, the better deal may depend on what you want on the car.
  • Options
    frogger2frogger2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm considering buying a new 2006 jetta. Since I'll be driving mostly in New England, I was wondering how the new Jetta drives in the snow. Do I need to buy different tires than the ones that already come with the car?

Thanks!
  • Options
    My wife was very happy with her 1995.5 Jetta last winter in wisconsin. We have just the standard tires and it is equipped with ESP.

ESP is standard on all but value edition (which is what we bought). VE has traction control standard, ESP is about $250. If you get the value edition I recommend ESP...we got the ESP primarily because of the added safety, the winter perfomance is an added bonus.
  • Options
    ebart1ebart1 Member Posts: 12
    I am interested to know from the owners of the current series (Mark V) what, if any, issues there are with the 2.5 cars---i.e. anything electrical, electronic---i.e. sensors--- brakes-wise, structural, strange noises, vibrations, rattles, engine peculiarities etc.
    As I am aware of VW's missteps in QC over the past several years, their atrocious ranking with CR and JD Power---I'm wondering---
    Having owned a '79 Rabbit for 11 years, and a '90 gas Jetta for 12 years (that cost me a 'bundle' to keep on the road)---I nevertheless enjoyed the drive and the ride of both---so I'm looking ahead!
    Any and all responses are welcome and appreciated.
  • Options
    We had some rough shifting with the automatic transmission. They replaced the valve body and it is great again now. This seems to be an unusual problem...on another much busier VW forum, I did not find anyone else who has had a transmission problem.

Other than that we had some minor stuff taken care of when it was brand new. Oh, and our drivers side mirror started whistling a little recently, a new mirror cap has been ordered but not yet installed. We also had a day or two where one of the remotes would unlock only the driver's door, this went away on its own...so not sure what was going on.

Ours is a year old with only about 11,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    gulfcoastptgulfcoastpt Member Posts: 2
    SOMEONE ANSWER
  • Options
    gulfcoastptgulfcoastpt Member Posts: 2
    and what was your source of info? thanks
  • Options
    rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    I have an 06 GLI that I love! It was a serious tossup between the 06 passat 2.0 and the GLI.

The only issues I have with the car are mysterious squeaks and rattles. Nothing big, but the smallest rattle or squeak in a car drives me to the edge. But the strangest thing about rattles in this car is that they go away! The panel mounted to the center of the upper dash (where you can redirect air upwards) tends to rattle after I Turn the thumb wheel, or just press on it. But after a couple hours, it stops. The VW people say the damping material used in the construction of it is a soft "goo" like material, which forms into it's own shape after time. Go figure: "Stretch Armstrong" in my car :D I had another serious rattle at idle, that was not coming from the engine. This happened a couple weeks after purchase. VW was even worried when they heard it. Do to limited time, they did a quick look around and claimed it was nothing that would get me killed, and at my 5,000 mile checkup, they would keep it overnight and find it. It went away days before my service and was never heard from again. The only other thing is a weird squeak coming from the rear passenger area going over bumps, but only in the afternoon. The tightened up the L/H rear door hardware and that took care of it, until last week. Might be the same thing again, as the service people said the new jetta doors are poorly designed. But other than that, it's a good car. Yes, it does look like a corolla, but when you see one on the road by a corolla, you can tell a big difference in the two. The VW just looks beefier and higher quality. Besides, the Japanese have been making VW design copies for years, so it can go the other way too.

Gee, I've rambled again. ;)
  • Options
    I agree with rwatson's assessment on rattles. My previous '02 Jetta had many rattles appearing and disappearing all the time. I made various visits to the dealer and they could never find a fix for most of them. But, with my '04.5 Passat I had 1 dash rattle when I bought the car and the dealer fixed it in 2 visits. To this day (32,600 miles) the rattle has not reappeared (cross fingers). Other than that 1 issue, my passat is 98% rattle and noise free. I will get an occasional door rattle, but they never are consistant. Easily lived with on my part. I am a big "rattle hater" and get very uptight when I hear noises. My wife says I am obsessed with rattle noises in my cars......
  • Options
    ebart1ebart1 Member Posts: 12
    for your quick response to my question re: 2006 Jetta 2.5 issues. When I learned that the new Jetta was 'laser-welded'---and, according to some posters---"like a vault", I don't quite understand why there are still rattling and vibration issues! Perhaps, and hopefully these are 'early production' models---and that subsequent production cars will not have these issues~! Given Volkswagen's history of below-average dealer commitment---it is good to learn that issues with regard to the Mark V Jettas are being addressed and taken care of.
  • Options
    No rattles or vibrations in ours, btw.
  • Options
    gli06ergli06er Member Posts: 11
    I've been looking for replacement taillights for my car, and I was wondering if the taillights that fit a GTI will fit on a GLI... here are the lights I wanted to get.

http://www.parts4euro.com/cgi-bin/PPStore/ppstore.cgi?database=Products&action=v- iew_product&productID=20061&category

Will they fit? Thanks if anyone knows.
  • Options
    gardner5236gardner5236 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know how to get the engine cover off? I need to replace my air filter and I can't figure it out. The manual mentions nothing about the air filter. Please help. Thanks.
  • Options
    marko959marko959 Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying either the Jetta GLI or the GTI. The Jetta has room to fit golf clubs in, while in the GTI, you have to fold the seats down. Plus you have the trunk to insulate you from any noise from the cargo in the Jetta.

However I have 2 issues that concern me:

1) Reliability - I owned a 95 GTI with the VR6 and had many problems with it. I got so sick of taking it to the dealer, which had a crummy service department, that I ended up selling it after 9 months. No loner car was ever given, just the courtesy van, which sucks. Has the quality improved since then?

2) Seats - My 95 GTI had great Recaro seats. The GTI and GLI have pretend Recaro seats that are short on thigh support and tilt back too much, making the lack of thigh support even more noticeable. I can also feel the seat frame on my thighs. I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs. so I know I could make things easier by losing a little weight, but I'm not that much overweight, so this may always be an issue. And aftermarket seats are expensive. Does anyone else have issues with the seats in the GLI/GTI?

By the way, I love the DSG transmission. I'm normally a manual driver, but hitting those paddles in back of the steering wheel make me feel like an F1 driver. The shifts are so quick, it's incredible.

Thanks
  • Options
    ren125ren125 Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking about purchasing my first VW in the very near future and had a question for the forum. I have been looking at the GLI with package 2 and navigation. My question pertains to the navigation system. For those of you who have it, how would you rate it? Does it look like VW put thought into it or just threw it in the car as an afterthought. If you could give me your experiences with it so far (ease of use, touchscreen?, voice activation?) I would really appreciate it. Since it's an 1800 option I want to know if I am going to be glad I got it or be pulling my hair out because it brings me 20 miles in the wrong direction.

Rob
  • Options
    shopgirl5shopgirl5 Member Posts: 7
    About the "Safe happens" campaign...I read the safety details on msn and the Jetta got 4/5 stars. Seems like VW is trying to sell on it being a safe car, but where is the 5 star safety rating?
  • Options
    Yeah, I do not understand their campaign that refers to 4* rating. However, I would give far more weight to the great rating by IIHS on their much tougher front and side crash tests.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I believe their campaign refers to the IIHS tests in which they scored "Good" (the best result) in side impact and offset crash testing. www.iihs.org

The 4 star rating is based on the NHTSA frontal impact test. The Jetta got 5 stars in the side impact test.

The IISH is more realistic because NHTSA tests for direct full frontal crashes whereas the IIHS tests for frontal offset crashes.
  • Options
    in so. cal, inventory levels of 2006 models seem very low, at most 5 cars listed in stock and most of the time its in the colors that I don't want. does anyone know how often the supply is replenished?
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    It's probably regional -- with the exception of the TDI automatics (DSG), pretty much every Jetta model is available in big quantities here in Texas.
  • Options
    How is the acceleration on the VE? and real mpg? reason being that I'm from L.A. and acceleration is important especially when driving on the freeways here, i don't want to be a turtle. And does anyone know what PZEV is? what's the diff besides $?
  • Options
    VE is same engine and trans as "normal" 2.5. Acceleration is adequate for us. The reported 0-60 time is around 9.3 sec., IIRC.

We have gotten 24-27 mpg in mixed driving. We got about 31 mpg on a 2000 mile mostly freeway trip at 70-80 mph. CR got 17/34/24 mpg for city/highway/mixed.

I beleieve that PZEV = partial zero emission vehicle.
  • Options
    vwcarbuyer06vwcarbuyer06 Member Posts: 6
    Hello...I'm in the market for a new '06 Jetta, but I'm having trouble determing which model to go with - the GLI or 2.0T. I don't see much of a different between the two vehicles other than a slight different in MSRP, front grill, and some other minor options which come standard on each vehicle. So beyond that, is there any difference? I know they're essentially identical cars, but I would like some sort of breakdown as to the pros and cons of each before I buy. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Based on a few test-drives of both the 2.0T and the GLI, I'd say the GLI suspension is definitely stiffer. The GLI sport seats are very different too, and in America, the cloth seats don't have the super-aggressive bolstering found on the leather model. On DSG-equipped cars the GLI should have the paddle-shifters.

There are a few other changes, but you should probably drive the cars and see what you like.
  • Options
    beth1323beth1323 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 2006 Jetta 2.5 but I keep reading reviews on the poor reliability of them. I know VW has had trouble in the past but I'm hoping they have corrected them. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Options
    Beth,

There are still some issues with the New Jetta. But, all cars have their issues. Go back in this thread and it will give you a good run down of problems people are experiencing with these jettas.
  • Options
    2460124601 Member Posts: 8
    I leased a 2006 Jetta 2.5 Automatic last December. I currently have 8500 miles on it. The only issues I have had is that one of the keyless entry remotes stopped unlocking the doors. It will lock the doors and open the trunk but will not unlock. I have noticed the speakers will somtimes rattle a little, even when the stereo isn't on. I get about 24 mpg 50% freeway/50% city. On long trips I get about 29mpg doing 75 mph. I did my own oil change at 5000 miles. Used Castrol Syntec 5W-40, purchased it at Autozone for $5.49/quart. So far no other issues. Tire tread is still very good. I really like the car. If only it had a little more power it would be almost perfect.
  • Options
    tko1965tko1965 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a '06 Jetta 2.5 which I am having a ball driving. Anyway, my problem is the driver's seat causes me a great deal of uncomfort. There seems to be a metal bar located at the back of the seat cushion, not exactly in the seat but just behind. When I drive for any length of time my rear end begins hurt around where this bar is located. The soreness will last all day. I am a bulky muscular type guy, so I've been thinking maybe I am too big for the seat which is rather small. Soon I have to drive 600 miles and, at this time, I am dreading it. The dealer told me it is just the way the seat is designed. I have tried every seat position, no luck. Now I have a towel stuffed between the seat and back. It helps a little but not by much. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I hate to get rid of this car because I am just too big for it. I really like the way it drive. I guess the test drive was too short because I had no problems then. Any recommended solutions?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    You stated that you have tried every seat position. Does that include trying various adjustments of the lumbar support? The "bar" you describe may be the lumbar support set to maximum support.
  • Options
    manywvsmanywvs Member Posts: 1
    According to the 2006 VW Owner's Manual the owner should receive 2 master keys, a valet key and a key tag. I did not receive a key tag. Have they stopped issuing key tags?
  • Options
    hondaandtoyotahondaandtoyota Member Posts: 8
    I bought a Toyota thinking that the car could be driven for years but that did not happen.
    I am considering the Jetta or the Mazda 3. The Mazda dealership would not deal on it and blew me off and said wait for the 2007 model. Also, they talk about good reliability but a bought a toyota and had problems (many major).
    I want to know if the new Jetta has improved with reliability and if there are problems/recalls with the car please be honest and tell me.
    I don't want to make the same mistake twice.
    (Also my moms Mercedes-Benz has no problems with it so maybe that reliability is not really true and it is just the luck of the draw when buying a car now)
    I am planning to go to the dealership tomorrow to MAYBE buy the car.
    please write back soon!!!!
  • Options
    Reading this forum will provide a good overview of the problems and issues people are having with the new Jetta!
  • Options
    mitchcmitchc Member Posts: 39
    I also had a problem with my key fob not working within a couple of months of buying the car. It worked only on certain functions. I diagnosed the battery as being dead, but because of the design, the owner can't change the battery. Had to take it to the dealer who replaced the battery and performed a full check. Suspect you have the same problem. This is common on any kind of remote with a low battery charge - some functions work while others don't.
  • Options
    mitchcmitchc Member Posts: 39
    If reliability is your major criteria, you need to look for a consumer reports recommended car. If toyota is off your list, then try Honda, Acura or even Lexus. Although I own a VW and have owned BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Chevy & Volvo - my experience with german cars are reliable power trains but "little things" break. Ironically, the only new car I ever had a major problem with was a Toyota 4runner. Once the problem was fixed, however, the car gave years of reliable service.

I believe reliability has more to do with your odds of ending up with a lemon rather than every car or model from that manufacturer having a problem. A problem car is more likely with a VW than with a toyota. That said, they all produce lemon cars. Recent studies have shown that the reliability of the worst brand is now exceeding that of some of the best cars 10-20 years ago. If you're completely "risk-averse" or "gun shy", stick with the first two brands (Honda & Toyota). I personally was not willing to give up so much driving pleasure, and after years of boring driving have switched to the "less reliable" brands.
  • Options
    I believe reliability has more to do with your odds of ending up with a lemon rather than every car or model from that manufacturer having a problem.

I look at this the same way. Odds of having few problems have been greater with Honotas. But you could still get one with problems. Then you have a car you don't like and "reliability" problems as well.

The way I look at it is I would rather buy a car I like, since that is a sure thing.
  • Options
    2460124601 Member Posts: 8
    I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to pause the CD with the 6-disc CD MP3 player in the 2006 2.5 model? To stop/pause a CD I have to push the power button and then turn it all the way off. When i turn the volume all the way off it just mutes it and still plays the CD. Weird. Is there a secret pause button?
This discussion has been closed.