Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2006+

Comments

• homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I find the engine has an odd sound (I assume that is the five cyl. effect), but it's not loud. Cold engine noise is noticeable, but not, as some describe it, loud. AND it quiets down quickly. At highway speeds, it is a very quiet car. My wife and I were noticing that last night, cruising at 75-80 on the interstate. Engine noise was very low, wind noise was barely noticeable, and the ride and steering were superb. (That is why I buy VWs.)

I think the 5 spd is good - smooth shifting, well spaced gear ratios. A terrific driving car.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    What kind of rpm do you have at 80mph with the 5spd? On my 2004 Golf, it turned over pretty fast - 4,000 rpm. (Of course that meant it had good pickup in 5th gear anywhere over 60 mph and it was super smooth.)
  • cornelius2cornelius2 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 06 jetta tdi and i have never owned a diesel...just wondering if there is anything i should do to break the engine or trans in
    RPM at 80mph looks to be just under 3200 - call it 3,150. The engine is still quiet at those revs, but well within the torque band. (My '95 Golf with 2.0l engine reved higher at 80, but not as high as 4000 rpm.)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Thanks. Looks like it will still be in a sweet spot for quick acceleration, but should be a lot quieter than my 4,000 rpm 2004 Golf was.
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    I would like anyones opinion on the Jetta being a good family car. Meaning? How roomy is the back seat? My kids are 8 and 5 and they are in boosters so we dont have those HUGE seat space eating Car seats. I have an 04 Accord now and its great but the Jetta is a smaller rear but how bad??
    Thanks..
    Eroc
  • snowdancesnowdance Member Posts: 18
    We have an 06 Jetta.. Both front seats are back as far as we can get them and still reach the brake and gas.. Both my wife and I are 5'9" and over 200 lbs.. We can both also ride in the back seat all day with out moving any thing and be comfortable. Perhaps you are looking at the older Jetta??

Snowdance">
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I think the back seat is adequate. We went on 2000+ mi trip last summer. We only had one of our kids with us, he is 16 and was comfortable in the back seat. I would think 8 year old and 5 year old would be very comfortable in the back. However, it is likely not as spacious as your accord.

If you like the car otherwise, I would not cross it off your list because you think it is too small, without testing it out for yourself.
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    When I said its not as roomy, I was comparing the new 06-07 Jetta to my 04 Accord. I know they are in different classes, Accord being Midsize and the Jetta I believe a small or compact car.
    Thanks for the replies. I checked out an 07 Camry and the saleskid didnt even offer a test drive. I went outside myself to look at the 4-5 they had on the lot, it was about 20 degrees out this morning. Nice job kid, lost a sale there.
    Got ya.. The 06 Jetta back seat room is almost the exact same as the 07 Corolla in back seat size.. with in a couple 10ths of an inch.. And larger than the Civic.. The cars in its class..

And about an inch or so smaller than the 07 Accord.. But the Passat is the car thats about the same as the Accord ..

You can go to each company and get a print out of the specs showing the back seat room on each car.. Just look under the specs.. Thats the easy way..

Snowdance
  • gsagsa Member Posts: 5
    Hey ya all....I am planning to buy a 06 or 07 jetta 2.5. I have been reading quite a bit abt the reliability issues with Jetta...I do like the car but do not want to buy a car which is reliable. Any comments...suggestions...or...past experiences with Jetta (o6 or 07) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Well, I can only give you the JD Power view of reliability (i.e., initial quality - and I just responded to JD Power this week), but my first 1800 miles and 7 weeks have been fine. Nothing is wrong with the car, the fit and finish are great - as good as I've seen on a car, & it runs great. The long-term reliability question won't be answered for years, but my last VW, a 95 Golf, was a great car for the 6 yrs, 100000+ miles I owned it. Mine is a 2007 Jetta base model, with 2.5 and 5 spd (with ESP). A terrific value.
    That makes sense...thanks...i am plannin to stop by at my local VW dealer to finalize the car....cheers :shades:
  • acuraowneracuraowner Member Posts: 57
    I am the unfortunate owner of a '06 Jetta. I had a '03 Golf which I loved because it was interesting and quite fun to drive, however it was plagued with electrical problems and a few mechanical problems. For some reason I stayed with VW after that nightmare of a car. In 72k miles that car had been in the shop well over a dozen times for unscheduled repairs.

Well after a year with the Jetta I have come to the realization it is about as exciting as chicken noodle soup. Don't get me wrong the ride/handling are very European, but the car itself is just so bland and boring. Honestly the car has been just as bad from a reliability standpoint as my Golf. This next trip will be the 5th trip to the dealership in 15,000 miles for warranty work (they always have to special order parts so minimum 2 trips per problem), add 2 for scheduled maintenance. So in 15,000 miles I have been back to the dealership 6 times, and I need to schedule another appointment to have my mirror blinker looked at as it works when it wants to. So once I get done with the blinker problem I will have stepped into the VW service department once every 2,000 miles I have owned the car, mostly for warranty work.

So 1 year/15k miles later and 6 trips to the dealership for warranty work. Meanwhile my partner is rolling over 140k in his '01 Celica and has never stepped foot into the dealership except for routine maintenance and a new battery at 110k miles.

Burn me once VW....shame on you. Burn me twice....shame on me. I will never touch a VW again after this one.
    I am just curious to know where is the engine built for the new 07 jetta wolfsburg edition. The dealer said its Germany but i doubt it.....need some clarification please
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What special features come on the '07 Wolfsburg Edition?

The Sandman :confuse:
    A Wolfsburg Edition is a car built with all the most ordered items as std.. I did see the ones our dealer got on Thurs.. last week.. So they have all the popular stuff and sell for a few dollars less than the same car ordered with it all on it..

Snowdance
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    it comes standard with 16" wheels, leather seating, heated seats, sun/moon roof.....etc.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    I was a bit disappointed when VW chose to sell the Wolfsburg Edition with the 5-cylinder engine. I was hoping that they would sell it with the 2.0T engine (similar to when they offered the 1.8T engine in my 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta). Where's the incentive to buy the 2007 Wolfsburg over say, a Jetta 2.0T?
    Well, the price is about $2600 less...so that is a pretty big incentive. Besides that, there are many people who do not want a turbo and do not want an engine that requires premium.
  • pontiacgtppontiacgtp Member Posts: 15
    I like the Wolfburg Edition with the exception of not being able to get satellite radio with it. I would buy one if this option was available.
    >>>>I like the Wolfburg Edition with the exception of not being able to get satellite radio with it. I would buy one if this option was available. <<<

Thats intresting.. I did set in a couple.. Noticed they had most of the items that are std on the Stage 2.. But did not notice the Radio. Guess I missed that.. I wonder if it would still be cost wise to have the Sat. Radio installed.. With Wolfburg selling for less it many still make it a good buy..

As far as the 2.5 or 2.0.. In our area many places sell only low test fuel and Diesel.. So a car that runs on High test is of little use around here.. Also in general fuel is rated as High test or Low test.. Premium fuel means an all oil based fuel like sold by the major companys.. And the off brands usaly sell a fuel that is a mix of gas and other stuff.. That is why when you read your VW owners manual it says you will get better fuel mileage and power with Premium fuel, most seem to think that means high test..

I do infact notice a power loss and 3.5 to 4 MPG less when I use an off brand fuel.. But we do put in a lot of highway miles and climb many steep grades so its easy for us to check..

Snowdance
    The five-cylinder engine in the 07 Wolfsburg edition Jetta is built in Mexico.

My 2003 1.8T Wolfsburg Jetta's engine comes from Germany.
    ...and conversely, there are many people that like turbos and don't mind an engine that requires premium. I happen to be one of them. I've been driving cars that require premium for the last 19 years:

1987 VW Golf GT - 8-valve 1.8 liter, 10:1 compression - premium fuel

1997 VW Vento (Jetta) - 8-valve 2.0 liter + APR Chip upgrade, 10:1 compression - premium fuel

2003 Wolfsburg Jetta - 20-valve 1.8T - premium fuel

I'll pass on the 07 Wolfsburg Jetta and hang on to the Vento
    and the 03 Wolfsburg...
    Sure, but they already have two turbo versions of the Jetta...2.0T and GLI.
  • tko1965tko1965 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry is this questions sounds dumb, but this is my first compact sedan and VW. I have a 2006 Jetta 2.5 and why I first start the car (mornings and after work) the RPMs go to about 6000 for approximately 10 seconds then goes back to normal. Is this this suppose to happen?
    Many of the new cars will do that if you touch the throttle when starting.. No matter how cold or hot.. You should never touch the throttle when starting the car.. The computer does it all.. But if you are not touching it.. Then 6000 does sound high.. 3,000 or so is about as high as I have seen on mine.. And when it starts the engine will sound funny and much like its running very high RPM.. That is the computer program to get the exhaust warm fast.. Also after it starts you will hear a clicking noise.. That is the electric air pump to help heat the Cat Converter..

Snowdance
  • tko1965tko1965 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your response. I made an error while writing my original post. The RPM is around 2,000 not 6K.
  • svetter2873svetter2873 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem but TWICE! Right around 2500 miles the front passenger hubcap came off my 2006 jetta on the highway. So I got another one and fell off the SAME DAY it was put on. Pretty lame on VW's part if you ask me!
  • foremanatvforemanatv Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 2005.5 new jetta with the 5 cyl engine, now i really do love the car and i made the front look like a GLI and the car is the champaign color, it looks sexy! i also put the eibach springs that vw sells for it and a custom intake system so the car sounds and handles amazingly. i put the springs on because i bottoms the car out really hard trying to catch up to an elise (lol) and it dented my transmission pan with broke the vale body with in turn caused little metal chunks to get into the gearbox and it chewed up the gears. it is a 6 spd auto with tiptronic and sport modes so insurance covered it for $6,500 replaced at YBH Volkswagen in Edgmont,PA. but ever since i got it back its been shifting hard and i brought it back to the dealership b/c since they fixed it they warrenty it and 3 trips they couldnt find anything wrong. then it finally slid out of gear again and i got stranded then the check engine light comes on!!!! so the brought it in and VW will not cover it under warrenty and neither will insurance cuz there is no damage. VW says they will not cover it cuz there are no other new jettas in the world with transmission problems...(b/s) so what should i do?? should i report is as a lemon or sue VW or what? also has anybody else had transmission problems with the 2.5's? and how do u put pictures in? i want to stick in a picture of my jetta.
    Nothing as bad as what you seem to have had, but we had intermittent rough shifting, mostly 1-2 shift and sometimes 2-3. Dealer was able to replicate the problem and they replaced the transmission's valve body under warranty at about 10,000 mi.

So there is at least one Jetta that has had a problem with the 6 speed transmission. It sounds like the real issue is your dealer is going to have to replicate the problem first.
  • terrificoterrifico Member Posts: 2
    I have the same rough shifting from 1-2 with my 2006 Jetta. I have booked another service appointment but the first time they couldn't replicate the problem during the test drive. Did the rough shifting problem get corrected with the replacement of the transmission valve body?
    Yes, valve body replacement seems to have taken care of our problem.
  • richg4richg4 Member Posts: 3
    I am the proud owner of a 2006 Jetta 2.5 with Luxury Pkg 2. I purchased my car in May of 2006 and so far I am pretty pleased with the car. I do get compliments on the cars looks and I have had a few BMW 3-series drivers tell me that they think it looks like a previous gen 3-series. My car is Spice Red with Beige leather, 17" Vision wheels and chrome mirror caps. The car stickered at $27,710. I traded in a 2003 Mitsu Galant (junk) and the VW dealer gave me $7k for trade and worked on the price. I walked out financing $18k on the car. I do love the car however all has not been perfect. The VW dealer in my area is lacking in customer service. The service department has high turn over so you never see the same person twice. The car has been in the shop twice for a rattling sound coming from the engine when you first start accelerate. Both times the Service guy says he hears the noise says its not normal but doesn't know where its coming from and they send me on my way. The newest problem started last night when the XM radio stopped working. I contacted XM and had them send me a refreshed signal 4 times and still the radio is not working. So here I go back to service. The embarassing part of all of this is that the service staff that is there know my name by heart. My only other issues is a rattle coming from the "Indirect" air vent on the dash top. I have another friend that has the same car as mine in Blue and she has the same problem so I assume this is a common Jetta problem. As I said over all I am pleased and we will see how the rest of my ownership experience treats me. The car only has 11,700 miles on it so we have a while to go.
  • irish20irish20 Member Posts: 7
    I keep reading about the new '07 Jetta wagons with AWD. Anyone know if the sedans will have AWD as well? Currently have a Passat Wagon and would like to add a Jetta sedan to the mix. Thanks.
  • raymondl1166raymondl1166 Member Posts: 7
    The last few days it got down to -40 and our 2006 tdi jetta is making some sounds on the front passenger hood?fender?shock?Sounds like something rubber mounted rubbing?Anyone out there had this happen to them?
    Ray
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    Sounds like a heater would be a good idea...
  • raymondl1166raymondl1166 Member Posts: 7
    I don't get it about a heater?This sound is coming from under the hood
  • borat1borat1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else feel that 2006 Jetta brakes are just not great. Average when you are alone in the car and average to poor when the car is loaded up?

I drove a 2007 Accord today and was blown away by the difference. I like the Jetta better in almost every other category, but the brakes are making me buy the Honda now over another Jetta for my family.

I would really like to hear what you guys feel about your 2006+ brakes.
    We have a 2006 Jetta 2.5 which we use to pull a Popup camper that is just a bit over 1600 lbs loaded and the trailer has no brakes.. The Jetta handles it fine and will do a panic stop from 85 mph.. I know because I have done one.. We live in the high country and pull 12 or 13 percent grades all the time and use the brakes going down them.. The Jetta brakes are the best we have ever had..

We have an O7 Accord that will not handle the trailer.. And suffers from bad brake fade we notice here in the high country as steep grades are the norm around here.... Some thing I do think you need to understand the Jetta is 700 lbs heavier than the Honda.. Stopping 700 lbs less car takes less effort.. Also the Honda brakes are very touchy in normal use so would guess they have just put to much power in the power brakes.. My wife is already wanting to get rid of the Honda.. Looking into an 07 Passat fourmatic..

Snowdance
  • borat1borat1 Member Posts: 3
    I am glad the brakes are working well for you.

Not for me.

I have had some panic stops and the car slows down great, but does not come to a complete stop well. I get a lot of resistance with the brakes at the end and the car feels like it loves to slow down, but it is an effort to come to a complete hault. This problem is made MUCH worse if there are actual more than one passenger in the car.

The dealer told me that there is no problem. The same VW dealer told me there was no problem before when there was actually a problem.

This troubles me because I enjoy the Jetta in every other way, other than the ESP did not help at all in the last snow event. The brakes are the only thing holding me back from getting another VW for my family's second car.
  • jls1992jls1992 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a HORRIBLE time with the brakes on my 2006 Jetta VE 2.5. this is the fourth time it is in to get fixed :mad: , and the last time before i throw the lemon law at them :lemon: . i've had my car for 6 months (3500 miles) and have had the rear rotors and brake pads replaced twice, a new master cyninder installed, some sort of volume booster installed, and now they are replacing the bracket in the brake pedal. if it isn't fixed by tomorow, or if i have to take it in again, i'm flat out asking for a refund and heading to the Honda dealership down the road, like i should have done in the first place.
  • subaru_mansubaru_man Member Posts: 17
    I'm thinking about getting the VW Jetta 2.0T. Can someone tell me where these cars are manufactured? I thought I read somewhere that they were manufactured in Mexico? Are there any cars manufactured in the States? What about over in Germany?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Jettas come from Mexico. The rest come from Germany or Brazil. VW hasn't manufactured in the US for close to 20 years.

FYI, Jettas have been made in Mexico for close to 10 years and that plant supplies the sedan to the rest of the world. I wouldn't be concerned - the quality in Mexico is no worse than any other VW plant.
  • sixpakgqsixpakgq Member Posts: 34
    Anyone here bought a 2007 Base Jetta Auto with 16 or 17" alloy wheels? if yes, how much OTD?
  • autoeduautoedu Member Posts: 47
    According to Vietnam News Network, Volkswagen is planning to make cars in Vietnam.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/biz/2007/03/677420/

Of course it is still German engineering and technology, it's just cheaper to assemble cars in Vietnam. German cars, assembled in Vietnam, consumed in the US Welcome to the age of globalization.

I think made in Vietnam Volkswagen will have higher quality than Mexico. Vietnam and Japan have forged a strategic partnership, in which Japan will transfer its most advanced technologies to Vietnam. Toyota has already set-up manufacturing plant - producing Yaris in Vietnam...
  • driver_365driver_365 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I took some pics at the NY auto show:
    pic1
    pic2
    pic3
    pic4
    I think made in Vietnam Volkswagen will have higher quality than Mexico.

Why? Is there any evidence that there is any difference in the quality of cars assembled in Mexico vs. anywhere else?
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    There is ample evidence that VW's manufactured in Pennsylvania were of far worse quality than the VW's produced in Mexico. VW had to finally just shut the U.S. plant down. :sick:
This discussion has been closed.