Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2006+

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
edited May 2014 in Volkswagen
I hope these cars look nice, have more room, sportier styling, wood trim available and leather available on the Golf without having to get the GTI. Arrive here in 2005 as 2006 models.

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I believe the new model Jetta/Golf will be 2005 models released in winter of '05. I am also eager to see the new model since my lease ends in the spring of 2005.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    This is the way manufacturers work. What car do u own now?
    2002 Jetta GL 5 speed. Could use more power, but I love it so far.
  • dapontdapont Member Posts: 21
    When do Jetta pictures come out?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Like an A3 but not attractive. Very similar in shape to the Mazda 3.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    available in late 2004 as a 2005 model yr according to vwvortex.they have some pics and a lot of info. new jetta introduced after golf and to share the same front end. i think the company is making a mistake doing this even if it is a cost saving measure. two different models should have their own identity. inline 5 making 150 hp will be standard base engine with all new 24v 2.0L turbo putting out 200hp as an upgrade option. all trannies supposedly 6 speeds (manual,tip and dsg). i hope they offer some hot new colors cause i'd really love a 4 dr turbocharged 200hp 6 spd manual golf.
  • mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    VW needs to take care of their cars' poor reliability issues. Until then, I won't be buying any new VWs in the near future. They are, however, nice cars WHEN they are not in the shop for unscheduled service.
  • biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    The Golf chassis, engine, and practically everything else on the car is shared with the Jetta and GTI. All three of these models have horrible reliability making Consumer Reports give Volkswagen the second worse reliability rating (Cadillac last) off all American nameplates. The Passat and im sure the Toureg come from different chassis, using, for the most part, different engines. According, again, to Consimer Reports, the Passat (no data on the Toureg yet) has much better reliability. This leads me to believe that VW just screwed up back in '99 and put together one [non-permissible content removed] car and then made two other cars from that one [non-permissible content removed] car. I am optimistic that VW can make a good car and that they hopefully put reliabilty high on its list of improvments for the new car. Of course, my little "theory" could be totally wrong and they put together another problem prone automobile. It will be too bad because i absolutely love my 01 Jetta and would love to buy another.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    01 Golf was recommended by Consumer Reports.
  • plaaaaaneplaaaaane Member Posts: 32
    I see many problems with the gas (Norht American) manufactured vehicles and far fewer with the TDIs made in Germany. My '03 Jetta has had one problem- the preamp in the radio antenna died. It has been perfect otherwise. Couldnt be happier.

I think CR should segregate the locations of manufacture for their reliability/recommendation ratings. If they dont, their ratings are totally worthless. Then again, I've not trusted CR recommendations since they gave Subarus better frequency of repair statistics than Toyota but kept on recommending Toys. Just didnt seem right to me. This went n thru the 70s and 80s.
    VERY NICE!!!!!! I hope the Jetta follows suit!!!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    is not that important. My 2000 GTI GLX was made in Germany. And it was a piece of junk. $2100 in repairs in the month of July alone.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Time to upgrade to a passat!
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    What repairs did you make to your GTI?
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?previews/previews_story.php?id=3990- - 8

"VW's new electro-mechanical steering is equally impressive, avoiding the vagueness and lack of feedback that plagues similar systems from rivals. In fact, most drivers won't even notice the changeover from the conventional set-up fitted to the current car."

The conventional set-up fitted to the current car only provides very limited feedback, so this is not saying much.

"Fire it up and the FSI is quiet and refined, but this only serves to emphasise the excessive WIND and TYRE noise at speed."

I'm surprised to hear that!
  • betterbydesignbetterbydesign Member Posts: 11
    Geez, what if VW asked the Ford/Mazda group to design a car that looks like a Toyota Matrix...what if...Looks like they actually did.. What a dissapointment. The original hot hatch now looks like a grocery hauler for soccer moms.
    The current generation Golf/Jetta seems to have plenty of wind noise at speed.
    "Geez, what if VW asked the Ford/Mazda group to design a car that looks like a Toyota Matrix...what if...Looks like they actually did.."

You bet they did hire the Focus designer to design a Focus-type control-blade multilink rear suspension for the upcoming A3/Golf/Jetta/Passat. & now the new Mazda3 has it, too.

"What a dissapointment."

It's a disappointment that the Focus engineer only did the rear, so the front of these new VW/Audi are not having nicely-communicative steerings.

"The original hot hatch now looks like a grocery hauler for soccer moms."

Most hatches these days are turning into semi-vans/SUVs.
  • mwoltzmwoltz Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found any links to pics of the new Jetta?

Thanks,
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Haven't seen any, but here's a good discussion on the upcoming Golf:
    NEW VW GOLF V 2005

In fact, that's the best place for us to continue the whole conversation on the Golf. Since these are two separate redesigns, we'll separate the discussions and use this one only for the Upcoming Jetta. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ezekiel_24ezekiel_24 Member Posts: 2
    So I don't think that I'll be wanting a new car by then. I'll still be paying for mine in 2008.

I thought that VW was a reliable brand. I guess I didn't do all that much homework. Is anybody having problems with the 1.8T's that they stuck in the Wolfsburgs?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "I thought that VW was a reliable brand."

People assume since VW is an import label that it "must" be reliable. Some "think" they know, but don't make sure it's true.
  • beaglesidbeaglesid Member Posts: 3
    I've seen some rumors and photos of a future Jetta convertible with a retractable hardtop. When might it be released, and how much might it cost?

Joseph
    I heard that the next Jetta for the US won't be here until calander year 2006, making it possibly a 2007 model. That would make it a nearly 7 year design, maybe 8! And people wrap GM for keeping cars long on the shelf!
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    With a GM model that has been around for 4+ years, you can at least assume that most of the bugs are worked out of that particular model. I guess that goes for any brand, so I don't think that having a model run for a long period of time without changes is a bad thing. In the case of the Jetta, I would actually like them to keep the same style for even longer...Kinda like the bug in the 60's and 70's...
  • gsolman6gsolman6 Member Posts: 28
    "That would make it a nearly 7 year design, maybe 8!"

The difference between GM and VW is that VW is continually upgrading and adding features every new year. Examples would be the new ESP option for 2003; the 1.8t being upgraded from 150hp to 180hp from 2001 to 2002; or the newly available 6 speed manual transmission on some models. German car companies are less concerned with styling changes and more concerned with engineering, "under the skin" changes that provide more utility and performance for their customers. Now if they would only provide better QC throughout the model cycle that would be ideal.
  • sys3175sys3175 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 Jetta w/ a 1.8T and nearly 50,000 miles on it, been great.. hasn't had one repair except for usual servicing. Showing the need for some new plugs and possibly a new turbo diverter valved but it's still running strong and smooth though the idle has started to get pretty rought (assuming it needs plugs which are recommended at 40,000 miles). I think if you take care of these cars and give them all the preventive maintance they recommend.. you should be ok.
  • biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    "I think if you take care of these cars and give them all the preventive maintance they recommend"

Not every Jetta made is going to be a piece of junk. There are many people who would strongly disagree with you. There is no maintenance that will prevent the windows from dropping suddenly, or windshield wipers to get knocked off track.
  • sys3175sys3175 Member Posts: 11
    "Not every Jetta made is going to be a piece of junk. There are many people who would strongly disagree with you. There is no maintenance that will prevent the windows from dropping suddenly, or windshield wipers to get knocked off track. "

Short of the windows which is an admitted problem of the jetta which if you don't let the dealer take you for a ride should be repaired for free with non-disfunctional parts, the windshield wipers getting knocked off track are not a unique problem. My 1988 & 1992 Chevy Beretta had the same problem when they were used cold, however my 2001 Jetta I've treated worse then the Beretta and I have had no problems with the wipers... I do happen to be lucky to have had the window regulators replaced before they broke :)
    Yeah, VW finally made power windows standard! Whooppeee!

But, the base 4 cylinder engine is still as slow as a turtle.
    Who really needs a car to go faster than 115mph? I know you are probably referring to the acceleration of the 2.0 and I would agree that a little more ooooomph would be nice.
    The acceleration and fuel economy are not great, but it is a quiet running motor. Quality control is the major problem at VW right now. From my own experience, the problems start right after the comprehensive warranty expires.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Having just dumped a 2001 Golf GL 5 speed, 2.0, which started developing problems around 40,000 miles (which the dealer couldn't fix, or I would have kept the car), I agree with Corvette on quality control.

The dealer I traded to, told me during trade in negotiations that their trade in value was based on VW's reputation for having mid-life problems. Having some taste of this, I didn't think he was just blowing smoke.

Acceleration wasn't great; pickup at freeway speeds was, since it was always turning 3,500 to 4,000 rpm in 5th; fuel economy was good, a consistent 30 miles per gallon, with some weeks at 32 when I was taking it easy on the commute run; but it dropped to 26 on high speed interstate runs.
    "The acceleration and fuel economy are not great..." "quality control is the major probelm,,,"

And VW is supposed to be a premium brand?? Why bother spending the extra money, I say.
    "The acceleration and fuel economy are not great, but it is a quiet running motor."

Quiet running motor? I guess the combination of good low end & the deceiving-quick abrupt throttle opening make you think revving it is unnecessary. Hey, have you seen how CR rated its noise level against the full-of-road-rumble '99 Protege? The 8-valve Jetta has a noisier rating.
  • froomgfroomg Member Posts: 5
    I found an official VW picture of the next-generation Jetta on the website of the German magazine "Auto Motor und Sport." The Jetta is called "Bora" in Europe, but it's the same car. Click on the photo for a larger view.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/51195
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    I don't read German, but it doesn't look like an official photo. It looks like a photoshopped Golf. Either way, it doesn't matter, because the look overall is very plausable given the VW styling trend. Very handsome, don't you think?

- Bret
  • pete14pete14 Member Posts: 11
    Actually I don't think it is handsome. I think it is looking more like Japanese styling than what I think VW usually does.
    I'm just interested in one thing From VW. More rear leg room. I am 6' and with the front seat in a comfortable driving position my 5year old can't sit comfortably behind me in the Jetta. Does anyone know if they are going to extend the wheelbase or increase the leg room in either 2005 or 2006?
    I am needing to buy in the next year and like the feel and handling of the Jetta. But I also need to be able to take my kids with me.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Supposedly this is legit. The first one was most likely taken with a cell phone camera. Remember the Mustang pictures that were leaked? Looks like the same thing may have happened here.

http://www.forocoches.com/galeria/uploads/540/jetta2.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/44892.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/44893.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/44894.jpg
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    ... interesting. I'll reserve judgment until I see a better photo. The current one is such an icon, but this one seems to go back to the more obvious "Golf with a boot" approach. It's less unified than the current design. I wonder if it'll be like the current vs previous A4. I like the previous generation better still. We'll see, though!

- Bret
    "I'm just interested in one thing From VW. More rear leg room. I am 6' and with the front seat in a comfortable driving position my 5year old can't sit comfortably behind me in the Jetta...But I also need to be able to take my kids with me."

Try the old air-cooled Super Beetle. I remember sitting on the high-chair rear seat when I was 6, & my feet could barely reach the floor.
    I was basing my comment on the 2.0 being a quiet motor based on the absence of "four-cylinder drone" at interstate speeds. I suppose this is something that has been engineered out of most modern cars--try driving an early '90's Civic if you don't know what I'm talking about.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    the new jetta is suppose to have significantly more rear seat room. i think the wheelbase will increase six inches.
    “I was basing my comment on the 2.0 being a quiet motor based on the absence of "four-cylinder drone" at interstate speeds.”

That's what sucks about the cool zooming Mazda's w/ stick. VW even offers 6-sp stick/sequential now!

“I suppose this is something that has been engineered out of most modern cars--try driving an early '90's Civic if you don't know what I'm talking about.”

My bro's '92 3-dr Civic VX(gas-mileage champ) 5-sp has a relaxing cruising of no more than 2000 rpm at 60 mph! The main noise is from the tires. It's about the same rpm as our quieter '83 sedan Camry LE auto w/ 8-valve max 92 hp just above 4000 rpm & red line around 5000 rpm. All these 4-cyl Japanese engines sound rough at high rev just like the 8-valve VW 2.0. I guess BMW 4-cyl's were smoother rev.
  • pete14pete14 Member Posts: 11
    I'm just interested in one thing From VW. More rear leg room. I am 6' and with the front seat in a comfortable driving position my 5year old can't sit comfortably behind me in the Jetta...But I also need to be able to take my kids with me."

Try the old air-cooled Super Beetle. I remember sitting on the high-chair rear seat when I was 6, & my feet could barely reach the floor.

I had a '71 Super Beetle and loved it. Ran it until it just was more rust than metal. Would love a new "old Beetle". Don't like the new ones, they just don't have the same character.

--the new jetta is suppose to have significantly more rear seat room. i think the wheelbase will increase six inches.

Will this make it by 2005?
This discussion has been closed.