Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Toyota Solara

Comments

• akc10akc10 Member Posts: 21
    A few weeks ago I went on autoconsumerguide.com and printed out model prices (MSRP, Invoice and options also.)

The SLE 4 cyl auto is MSRP based priced at $22,995. An SE 4 cyl auto is MSRP based priced at $19,950. Add leather seats for $1365 MSRP. This totals to $21,315. The difference is $1680. What does the SLE include as options that are not included on the SE? I added sunroof, spoiler and gold package (MSRP)to the SE along with the leather (total $22,650)and was still under the MSRP price of the SLE. One discrepancy that I thought may be one difference is that even though you add leather seats to an SE, they may not have the electric adjustments or heat unless you add that as an option also but that seems rather pricey. This may be an obvious answer but rather than me racking my brain thru this brochure, I figured someone would know the answer right off the top of their head, like Mackabee maybe? :)
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    The SLE V-6 has "V" rated 17" tires. Generally the manufactures speed limit the car to the speed limit of the tires. I beleive the "V" rating is for149MPH.
    Yes the sport pkg has unattractive, dust collecting, lower body cladding. What was Toyota thinking? Thank god the SLE does not have it.
    As for quiet, the V-6 SLE is extremely quiet and smooth inside & out.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The SE is not available with factory leather. The SLE V6 has the 5spd sequential automatic transmission. There are two versions of the SE, the SE and SE sport. Let me know what questions you have and I'll try to answer them as best I can.
                          : )
                           Mackabee
    Bill, I just read a whole page about speed ratings on tires at tirerack.com. It does says that tires are matched to the top speed of the vehicle they are put on. So according to their logic your Solaras top speed would be 149mph. However I did notice this speed rating (V rated) on both Solara 4cylinder and V6 tires on the cars that are on our lot. I still haven't gotten the "official" word from technical in Torrance Ca. I'll keep you posted.
                     Mackabee
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Thanks again, but I see that everyone seems to have latched onto you for all the info about this car. I do not think that the 4 cylinder car could even come close to l49 MPH, but the V6 might. However, I noticed that Car & Driver uses the term "drag limited" when they discuss top speeds. The other term used is "electronicly limited" and I guess my question should have been what is the top speed of the SE V6 if it is NOT artificially limited, in other words, what is the drag limited top speed??
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Try checking a V6 Solara with the 16 inch tires and see if they are V rated...I'm guessing that they are not and have a H rating due to the size.Maybe the Bridgestones are V speed rated for the size that they are using and does not reflect the top speed capability of the Solara...
    The solara brochure (see next to the last page under "available option combinations.")says the SE 4 cyl comes in an SLE 4 cyl and the SE sport does not come with leather. The page before that has the "model grade features" and shows leather standard on the SLE V6 and must/can be ordered as an option on the 4 cyl. The code is LA. Autoconsumerguide.com also says the 4 cyl comes in an SLE. (leather) With you selling them I know you know more than I do but everything I see points to the 4 cyl SE being upgradable to a leather model. (SLE) See this link and it shows the SLE 4 cyl pricing for the leather...@ $1365.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- - - 37588#optionalequipment

The questions I have are in message # 511 and these questions are about the SLE 4 cyl pricing. Of course you cannot answer them if the SLE 4 cyl is not available in your mind. :)
    I never said the SLE 4cylinder was not available. I said the SE and SE Sport are not available with factory leather. Leather is standard on the V6 SLE and optional on the SLE 4 cylinder models. I hope this clears things up for you.
                         Mackabee
    All the V6 Solaras on our lot (SE, SE Sport, and SLE'S) have the V-rated tires on them.
                   Mackabee
    I think what confuses is " not available with factory leather." In my mind, all of these come from a factory and if the leather is not installed there, then where, whether an option or not? After the guy at the dealership told me the same thing "I thought" you were telling me, (leather n/a on 4 cyl)I thought I was reading the brochure incorrectly. Since that is clarified, could you read 511 and answer that question for me?
    I really appreciate you taking time to answer as I am sure everyone else does.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    According to the Toyota web site, The difference are more in details. Like automatics A/C, Auto dim Rear and driver side mirror; defrost side mirror, 6-speaker stereo and some other minor cosmetic touch. Please go to the web site to check. It's your call if those are worthy for the $300+ difference.
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    I hear 1000 percent??? Any comments???
  • aquarianaquarian Member Posts: 2
    Greetings all

I just came across this site and found some very informative information - thanks. I would like some clarification on the issue raised re: the V6 and 5 speed issue made by post #510. I was looking at the V6 SE --Should I stay away from the V6 and go to a 4. I am in the initial stages of comparison shopping and have it narrowed down to two or three cars - leaning toward the Solara. From I gather I should get the se and add on versus the SLE. Any pointers would be appreciated. I purchased a barely used celica and have had nothing but probs with it and do not want a repeat:) What is the gold package? Thanks much for you assistance.
  • aquarianaquarian Member Posts: 2
    I continued to read through the old messages and found issues re: dome light and tire pressure light - has this issue been resolved?

Can I check this out when test driving a car?
    Each has special option only available for them. For example: Wood trim only avai. on SLE while arrearance kit onlt can get at SE. So please visit Toyota web site. There is a option chart under "Price" show all options avaible for all three trim lines side by side. You will get better idea. The Solara AT-5 is different from the Camry V6 AT-5 so I am not worry. The Dome light problem is rare compare to the volumn. Most liky the installation problem not design. I strongly recommend the V6, it worth the extra over the 4.

The gold package is having all logo on front, back and center of wheel to be plated gold. I think it's not worthy the cost unless you really like it. I am not sure if it will fade in the future. I have seen the fading on the older car and looks really bad. My 2 cents.
  • matthewhmatthewh Member Posts: 19
    I would recommend the V6. It gets 29mpg vs. 32 mpg comparing with the 4-cylinder. However, you get 225 hp which is much more power and fun to drive. When go up the hill the V6 and AT with manual shift is wonderful. I used to have a 4-cylinder Camry. It was a great car but did not have enough power.

If you are looking for luxury, I would go for a SLE. It pretty much loaded. For less money, you can get a SE with some nice options that you want.

My wife got a V6 Sport for over two months now and she love it. I get to drive it oscationally and it is always fun to drive everytime. Of course, I love to play with the manual shift AT. It really kicks.
    Good luck for what ever you decide, you can't go wrong with it.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The 220 hp Lexus GS300 has an unrestricted top speed of 144mph. The 04 Solara which is more aerodynamic than the GS 300 would top that figure. But I think the speed is electronically limited to 130 mph.
  • funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    Well, both of my problems previously posted seem to be resolved. The dome light (would not light) was wired wrong on assembly. They replaced the light and did it right. The low tire pressure indicator did turn out to be a faulty sensor in the brakes (?). The interesting point here is that now it is fixed, we never see it but the dealer tried to tell us that this sensor is real fussy and does give wrong indications at times. Now we don't get anything (like we should, tires are fine), but I wonder if they simply disconnected it.......
    If you guys don't leave Mackabee alone he will never have time to answer my question. Get in line. :))
    This 2004 thread is becoming a complaint forum. Anyone use Zaino? Nobody wants to hear bad stuff about the car!
  • swan898swan898 Member Posts: 15
    Just got our 04 sle 4cyl solara and couldn't be happier. Was a bit concerned about the 4 but it runs like a scared rabbit. No need for the 6 cyl. I had 225hp in the former car and never really used it. Am getting over 30mpg in town, so should do even better with some age. The leather seats are very comfortable, and my wife loved the heat on her backside. A number of people have asked what kind it is and given a thumbs up. More quiet and smoother than our 98 American car. For what we got the price seems ok.
  • kjlc98kjlc98 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any information regarding the spring 2004 release of a convertible version of this beautiful car?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Awhile ago, I posted about some mystery wheel covers that appeared on eBay recently listed as "2004 Solara", when the 2004 Solara is supposed to have standard alloys. Well I think I've solved the mystery, and the answer is not promising. It seems that all 2004 Solara SEs shipped to the Southeast and Gulf States (private distributorship) regions are arriving with steel OEM wheels and covers, and the distributors are replacing them ALL with their junky non-Toyota alloy wheels. I am not sure what the reason for this is, but if you go to www.toyotacenter.com and search the Southeast for Solara SEs, you can see in the pics that the wheels are some Enkei garbage and not the normal Toyota wheels that are on the SEs in other regions. I just thought I would post this so potential buyers in the private distributorship regions would be aware that they are getting bogus wheels instead of OEMs, even if there is no rip-off sticker on the window.

-Andrew L
    Congrats on your purchase. Glad to hear you are satisfied with the 4 cyls.' power. Have been going back and fourth on this and needing to be swayed. :) What color, options did you get? We like the black and the red but have not seen blue on the lot in our area yet.
  • funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    Well, the tire pressure light is back on.....trip number 5 to the dealer.
    Sorry to hear that. Based on my experience, I recomend you read up on arbitration, and have Toyota give you a new car, or your money back, but again, thats up to you. Having gone through almost every annoyance with my 2000, and just wasting my time, as Toyota did nto pay me to wait the countless hours to wait for repair hanging out at the dealership after work all night while they would repair the problem, looking back, and hidesite being 20/20, I would have done Lemon Law. Dont forget to report this saftey issue to NHTSA.
    Many thanks for the info. My V6 SE base car is to be built in November and the dealer has promised that there will be nothing added or subtraced from this car. I just hope that what the dealer said is true, and even though my car will be associated with Gulf States Toyota, I have been informed that I will get just what I ordered. Please tell me the source of your info, as I will not take the car if what you say is true. I hope Toyota knows better than to substitute steel wheels for alloys which come standard on the base SE V6. It sounds crazy that they would allow that to happen. Mackabee, help help.
  • dvivinodvivino Member Posts: 8
    hubcaps said:
    "steel OEM wheels and covers, and the distributors are replacing them ALL with their junky non-Toyota alloy wheels"

I can't find anything that says steel wheels are an option. The toyota website says the choice is aluminum alloys - either 16" or 17". So, where are you getting this info??
    Give me your zip code and I'll find out for you. It should come with the standard factory alloy wheels but you never know with Gulf states and Southeast Toyota distributors.
                       Mackabee
  • jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    Hello... I bought my '04 Solara last month and love it. The manual shift with auto tranny option is great when making brief climbs in the mountains. I'm wondering if there is any way HID headlights can be added to the car. I'm dissapointed in Toyota that they made the HID option for the new Celica's but not the Solara's (VERY bad move on their part). The current headlamp is the H11 bulb and I can't find any conversion kits (although it is VERY difficult to find anyone who will sell you a conversion kit since it is now "illegal" to sell them). Anyone have ideas??????

Also, I read an earlier post about peoples cars pulling the left and my car does it too... The dealership says the alignment comes up "true" but it still pulls. I think if anything they would make it pull to the right so you won't head into oncoming traffic if you did fall asleep at the wheel.
    Thanks again. My zip is 76262. I really hope that this report is not true.
    That pulling to the left seems to be widespread and common. Read where a lady said her dealer said Toyota had issued a T.S.B (Technical Service Bulletin) to correct the camber on the '04s with 17" wheels. She posted that on 9/28. Most others say they have asked their dealers about it and they know nothing about it. Their is no TSB issued on this pulling but it is definitely an issue that many people are facing. Only two TSB's have been issued to date for '04s and that is for Acura and Chrysler. See here: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/04_mk.html
    Cause for pause before I buy now to see how this issue is resolved.
    I can't find anything official from Toyota on this topic either, but try going to www.toyotacenter.com and search for the base SE model (click "search the entire Southeast" once you get the local results). Do a sort by "available" so you get the listings with photos, and click on some of them and take a look at the wheels. They are clearly Enkei junk and not the OEM wheels listed in the brochure. I've also seen a few pics of 04 Solaras in the Gulf States region wearing fake Camry XLE wheels. I have no idea what the explanation for this is, as I know that the base models in my region (NJ/PA) are coming with OEM Toyota wheels standard as I have seen them on the lots. My best guess is that Toyota initially decided to have steels on the base cars, then changed their minds after already signing a contract with their wheel and wheel cover suppliers. So they decided to throw the steels on the cars in the private distributorship regions and let the distributors change out the wheels. This theory doesn't make a lot of sense, but I can only look at what is happening...cars with non-OEM wheels are showing up in these regions, and take-off 2004 Solara wheel covers are showing up on eBay, with sellers located in FL and TX.

-Andrew L
    As I stated in my last post, alloy wheels are standard. I just looked at the gulf states toyota page and they also list them as standard. However, as I stated before GST and SET do weird things to the cars once they get them. I'm curious if you have the 2004 brochure? Does it show the standard factory wheels? I can see why a lot of people get p.o'd at GST and SET. I just went to their build your own section and there is this "extra mile" package and "luster" package, etc,. I would check with your dealer and ensure you get what's shown on the brochure. Now I'm starting to wonder if our brochures are also different. I have my 2004 Source book which I received a few days ago. This is my "bible" so to speak. It has stuff in there that the brochures don't even begin to touch on.
                   Mackabee

p.s. I've been pretty busy, we have our Scion mini-showroom within a showroom starting to take shape and our website will be up shortly also on the SCION, and I'm playing a big part making sure things go smooth. I haven't forgotten the speed question.
    mackabee-

I have seen the e-brochure on the Toyota site and it only shows two wheel designs, 16" (5-split-spoke) and 17" (5-spoke). No mention of any wheel covers or other wheel designs. But what can I say, I've seen about 10 sets of those wheel covers on eBay. They are coming from somewhere.

-Andrew L
  • biburybibury Member Posts: 2
    I have done 3000 miles since I bought a ‘04 Solara SE V6. It is comfortable and quiet, it’s a very nice car and I am satisfied by the car. But my car has been puling to the left, as well. I took it to the dealer to have the problem fixed twice. Still it is pulling to the left.

Seemingly it is a common problem. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?
    I see what you mean. The first two pics have wheels I have never seen, and the third pic has the wheels in the brochure. This brochure is the same one I have. Now this pulling has come up. I am having second thoughts about this whole thing. There seems to be too many odd ball things going on, and I do not want to be the victim. I guess time will tell, and when my car shows up, I intent to inspect it with a magnifying glass, and make sure that it goes straight down the road. If not, goodby Toyota. I will not accept a new car with ANYTHING wrong with it ever again, these initial defects seem to be un-fixable and stay with the car it's whole life. At least that has been my experience.
    Get used to it, it never goes away permenantly.
    Don't worry snakerbill. It's a fine car. Look at the top of the last page on the brochure. It shows the SE, SE SPORT, and SLE in small pictures. Se is in Oceanus blue, Se Sport in Red and the Sle in Lunar mist. Right below the cars are the wheels that are standard with the particular trim level. The 16in is the split five spoke wheel which are standard on the Se/Sle 4cylinder. The 17 in 5 spokes are standard on the SE sport 4/v6 and on the SLE V6. Those are the only wheels that should be on your car. If your dealer changes them and puts Enkei on them I would raise hell or high water until they put the factory ones on. When is your car due in?\
                          Victor
    It is unbelieveable. Now the dealer tells me that the car is due in Jan or Feb of 04. How could it take 3 months to ship a car from Ky to Texas?? I wonder if these people are putting me on, and are trying to keep me from buying another kind of car. In my brochure, the split spoke wheels are standard on the SE V6, with the l7 as an option. Does your brochure show that these wheels are only standard on the 4 Cyl as stated in your last post? Could it be that there are really two different brochures on the 04 Solara? It just gets worse and worse. I am not sure of what course I should take.
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    I know you all are talking about the '04, but we've got an '00 SLE V6. It has pulled to the left for 4 years and the Toyota dealership says it is perfectly aligned. Love the car, but that left pull is a real aggravation. If I ever get a new car that is aligned properly, I won't know how to drive the darn thing.

Of course, the salesmen and techs all drive it and they refuse to say that it pulls left. They blame it on wind gusts! But other than that, the car has been great.
  • Marty684Marty684 Member Posts: 17
    Is it possible to get an SLE without a sunroof/moonroof via a factory order?
    Well, I guess there is more than one brochure out there. e-mail me it's on my profile.
                          Mackabee
    Marty, in our region CAT. The moonroof is standard on the SLE.
                       Mackabee
    It is more an issue of safty and quality that seems to be on going. Weather its a 2000 or a 2004 and your car pulls, you just bought $25,000 worth of aggravation, and depending what alignment macjine and software is used, it may show it is aligned, but the new laser alignmant machines ahow Dangererpose potentially hazardous for the SAI.
    It is more an issue of safty and quality that seems to be on going. Weather its a 2000 or a 2004 and your car pulls, you just bought $25,000 worth of aggravation, and depending what alignment macjine and software is used, it may show it is aligned, but the new laser alignmant machines ahow Dangerous potentially hazardous for the SAI. My opinion is the strut towers and poor quality bushings, and the older Camrys even had a recall on them.
    webguyster, what year Camrys had the recall for the struts and bushings? I'm just curious as we've owned two in the last 12 years and I never got a recall notice or special service campaign on either one.
                             Mackabee
    I don't have nor heard any recall ont he Bushing and struts. I own a camry and many of my co-worker and friends own one too. Can you be more specific? Or point out the details if you can.

The SLE has Sunroof not the moon roof. Th edifference is the sun roof has a tint glass while the moon roof has not. So the sun roof allow sun pass thru the tint glass while the moon roof can be open or close completely. It's standard on the SLE.
  • swan898swan898 Member Posts: 15
    sorry for delay getting back to you. We wanted and got the oceanus blue. think it looks great. Had to look all over Wash.state but worth it. The ivory leather with it was icing on the cake. We're very pleased with the whole package. The 4 just hums along. plenty of power for all the hills in Wash. good luck Andy.
This discussion has been closed.