Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Toyota Solara

1789101113»

Comments

• rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Knew you were aware!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Full Test: 2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE
    Read it here!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• joey_bjoey_b Member Posts: 5
    I'm shopping for a Solara V6 SLE in southeast Wisconsin and received an Internet quote on an SLE V6 (non-Nav) with standard options for this reqion, for about $200 over Invoice. Seems like an awesome deal to me. Anybody else seeing deals like this?
    Hi joey_b - you'll want to visit our Toyota Camry Solara: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion to chat with other buyers & potential buyers!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    If it is a true $200 over dealer invoice, I think you have a great deal!
    We paid $500 over invoice and were very happy with the deal.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    I test drove a SE sport V6. The V6 is very entertaining and the SE Sport interior look very sporty. However, it is a littel bit out of our budget. for those who own an SE 4 cyl with AT, how do you like your car? Can it keep up with the day to day freeway or city dirving? What about climbing a hill? thanks.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You could always just get the base SE V6, which will save you about $1000 on the MSRP.

~alpha
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Is the Solara 3.3 V6 the same engine used in the Lexus ES 330, or is the Lexus engine a different design?

What really justifies the 6-8 thousand dollar difference in these two cars? I realize the Lexus nameplate adds some value, but there must be a lot more. In some minor ways, the Solara outshines even the ES -- audio steering wheel controls, dash-mounted 6 CD changer, rear heat ducts, better fuel economy, telescopic steering wheel, etc. Better half thinks it's mostly the Lexus name, but there has to be more than that? Any thoughts?
  • swan898swan898 Member Posts: 15
    We have the SLE with the 4 cyl and 4 spd and believe me it can keep up with all freeway driving. You will find it a pleasant surprise. Save a bit of gas, much easier to work on, and just pop it in 3rd from OD if you feel it lug down. So far it hasn't. For day to day driving in traffic it is just fine and you'll save a couple of thousand dlrs. We avg over 31 mpg in and out of traffic at 2000 miles, so should get better. We don't miss the 6 at all.....I believe the 6 is the same as the 330. The lexus just has a few more goodies, and an up graded audio and maybe some extra trim. Really not worth that much more than the Solara.
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    I think you're paying for the after-sale customer service when purchasing a Lexus. I personally couldn't justify paying more for a Lexus. Unless you think those Lexus dealer services (free loaner, free pick up and delivery of your car, etc.) worth a couple thousand dollars.

I think the 3.3 engine is the same in the Solara, Sienna, and the RX. In the ES, you do get some features like auto up/down on all windows and illuminated power lock and window buttons. But a lot of the parts are the same. After all, a Lexus it's just another Toyota. The ES is being sold as a Toyota Windham (I think) in Japan. Look at the windows, I think it said Toyota motor corp. The same with Honda/Acura.
    Yep, the 3.3L engine in the Solara, Camry SE V6, and ES is the same unit, itself mildly detuned version of the RX/Sienna 3.3L (I believe the different hp and lb. ft. ratings are due to more restive exhaust piping in the Camry/Solara/ES.

You can get a 6Disc in Dash in the ES, fwiw, and I believe rear ducts are standard as well. The wood in the ES is phenomenal (its real, not the Solaras actually convincing applique), and there are other subtle upgrades such as higher quality leather (the same used in the 55K LS, for example). Still, this new Solara reps. a great value. I'm not sure many cross shop a two door coupe and a 4 door near lux, though.

Finally, the ES's resale, according to Kiplingers magazine, is better than all other vehicles in its class, and no doubt, better than the Solara. (Someone already mentioned the Lex service).

~alpha
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Swan thank for the information for the 4 cyl AT. Will definitely try one this weekend.

We have a LS430 and on occassion when we bring it in for service we have ES300 (not ES330) for loaner. You need to drive the ES to get a feel for the car. It is very luxury and quiet. It is more expensive than a camry but you get what you pay for. With limited option, you can get a ES for about 33K vs a 27k for fully loaded cmary XLE. You get some of the 6k difference when you sell the car (may be only 2k to 3k more expensive if you sell the car 3-4 year). In the mean time, you have better service, the service loaner car, longer warrenty and a more luxury interior. Also if you lease your lexus,you can put in multiple deposit and lower your lease rate (we did 9 deposit for our ls430 and lower the lease money factor by 0.0009 or about 2.0% in interst rate term) and toyota won't do it (so far as I know).
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    For what I know, the material is super in ES330, great in Solara and very good in Camry. The difference is the quality of the material used. It's always debatable if one should spend more for upscale if both perform similar. ES330 do provide some extra features only available to Lexus. It's you to justify if you willing to acquire them. ES, like other Lexus, has better insulation and seat compare to Toyota sibling. And it emphasis on comfort than drive. Solara is more tuned at the middle of ES330 and IS300. I like both but lean neither one. So Solara is perfect for my need. Drive both if you can and make decision. I agree though, functionality are the same. Others are your taste.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Since the ES330 is a SEDAN, anf the Solara is a COUPE, there is no real comparison, and probably no cross-shopping.
    Several magazine road tests have referred to the Solara as the Lexus of coupes.
    We are delighed with our new SLE after the fitst 3,000 miles.
  • jmack253jmack253 Member Posts: 6
    Add me to the list of people that have an 04 Solara v6 SLE that pulls to the left. Seems to be a little intermittent. Notice it more at low and high speeds and not during acceleration. I am assuming that under acceleration, torque steer pulls the car right, balancing everything out. Dealer says they can not duplicate problem. Not happy with that situation. Transmission seems to slip on occasion too. Mostly at low speeds with partial throttle. Again, dealer "can't duplicate" Anyone get the XM radio installed? I am being quoted $778, which seems awful steep. Am starting to think I should have purchased the Accord. Would have if not for the comfort of the Solara.
  • jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    I feel your frustration... this is the issues we have to deal with when new cars come out. Nothing is perfect (although we want it to be). I'm just glad that the ONLY thing I'm dealing with is a slight pull to the left. Could your tranny slip just be the electronic response in the throttle? I believe someone said it was meant to delay a little to help with gas mileage and emissions (or something like that). I orginally thought my car had the same issue (I moved down ALOT in power from a modified Grand Prix), but I just had to get used to working with this new throttle.

Not a big fan of radio so I can't help you with prices but it does sound steep to me...
  • royaloakrangerroyaloakranger Member Posts: 8
    The mechanic at my dealership came up with some rather large news. He talked with the Toyota Canada head office and said that Toyota engineering in Japan has now stepped in and given the left drift problem a "Priority 1" designation.

They have designated an exclusive Japanese engineering team to work on the fix and are now working on it with great urgency because it is a steering safety issue (liability). Apparently, thousands of vehicles are affected.

When they come up with the final fix (1-2 months approximately), they will issue a TSB, at which point our left leaners will be immediately called in for repairs.

Stay tuned
  • arcticbeautyarcticbeauty Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my Solara in S.E. Wisconsin. SE Sport 4cyl for $2,340 off of MSRP. I think the vehicle stickered for $22,991 or so. Bought it from Carmax in Kenosha.
    Correction: Was misinformed about the TSB being issued. I'm a bit new to all this and now ready to ask more specific questions.

Called another Toyota dealership service rep today and asked for a left pull update. Unfortunately, there is no TSB yet.

However, they had 2 engineers from Toyota California head office in and they turned the strut supports about 1 inch counter clockwise then fitted on a new 3 dot camberbolt 90105A0005. They then realigned the vehicle to spec.

They have done this fix to 5 Solaras and 1 Camry and reported that they are all running dead solid perfect. Also, they now do this to every Solara they sell before it leaves the lot.

They faxed this fix to my dealership to have the work done on Monday.

Until then.....
    Just got back from a one hour get together with a head mechanic at a private alignment shop. He said that the fix that I mentioned peviously (where the strut assembly is turned 1 inch counter clockwise with the new camber bolt and original alignment specs) is only masking the true underlying problem.

He advised me to be patient and wait for the official TSB to come out and begin the arbitration procedure at the same time (carrot and stick).

I'm cancelling my Monday morning appointment and making an appointment with the regional manager instead.

This beautiful car deserves to be fixed properly.
    I saw someone over on the Avalon board state that he has to select "English or French" language when he turns on his Navigation system in his new 04 Avalon XLS. Good God, that would be enough to make me never want Navigation in a new Solara.

The NAV system, in French, probably only allows you to drive in reverse. At full speed.

Does anyone know if the Solara Nav system has the same feature? The poster didn't appear to be from Canada, so I don't know why Toyota would put the French choice in there. SABOTAGE: Isn't that a French word?
    No it doesn't aske you to choose English or French. But it does have a disclaimer that you have to click "I agree" before you can use the system.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Got a chance to try out the stability control on my 04 SLE the other night and man does it work awesome!..i went on some snowy back roads and jeked the wheel both ways to get the car to slide around and as soon as it started to slide,the vsc activates (audible beeping sound)and straightens the car right out!Also tried some situations with the traction control on vs off and it definetely does the job of getting you up a snowy hill without wheel spin.All in all i think this car is one of the best cars out there for the money.(had a 00 SE V6 before this one and it was perfect also)
    Does anyone know if I press the windshield defrost, does the A/C turns on also? The air that came out was so cold but the A/C light is off.
    Since you like yours so well, do you have any issues with the "left-pull" issue described by some?
    I think I finally figured out why every time I start the car, the recirculate is on. It's because when you set the temp to max cold, it automatically turns recirculate on. I always have the temp set at max cold. So everytime when I start the car, recirulate turns on even manually turned off before I shut down the car. In order to make myself happy, all I need is to increase the temp by 1 and the next time I start the car, recirculate remains off. It worked a few times and hope it works the same when I start it next time.

But while I was happy that I figured out the "recirculate" thing, damn, another thing came out and the air control system really has a mind of its own. What happened was after driving for 40 minutes and in front of a stop light, I manually increased the temp and after certain temp, like 74 or something, the mode automatically switched to front/floor. Then when I continued increasing the temp., it automatically switched to floor. When I lowered the temp., it automatically switched from floor to front/floor, then front. At first I thought it's cool. But after pulling into the garage, I tried to do the same thing and this time it didn't switch the mode at all!!!!! It stayed at front even I increased and decrease the temp!!!! What the heck is going on with this system?? I think I need to do some experiments with it tomorrow.
    Nope no problems with pulling and niether did my previous 00 SE V6.Let me tell you that i am a auto tech and i work for a independent garage and in my 15 years of doing alignments,pulling issues are always caused by tires or improper caster angles.
    Try using it without the auto mode and you will find that it will not change any setting unless you manually do so.the auto mode is programmed to make the proper changes according to your desired temp settings.ie fan speed,vent location,re-circ,etc
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I have a 99 Accord Coupe, and would consider going to a new Solara, but I think the Toyota has an inferior automatic a/c system, at least from what I have read here.

When getting into a hot car (I lived in Florida after all), my accord automatically starts it in max, re-circulating the hot air. After the interior cools off a little bit, the Honda automatically starts letting in fresh air . . with no need to touch the controls.

It sounds like Toyota makes you constantly fiddle with the re circulate and fresh air settings. Honda Accord does it for you automatically, and is thus far superior.

Am I right that you constantly have to adjust the Solara automatic a/c when you get into a very hot car?

Just curious . . .
    "It sounds like Toyota makes you constantly fiddle with the re circulate and fresh air settings. Honda Accord does it for you automatically, and is thus far superior."

Wow. I didnt realize that the only virtues vehicles had were their A/C systems. Mitchflorida, please pity the poor souls like myself who have manually controlled climate systems. Can you imagine how inferior our cars are...

Seriously though, THIS would stop you from buying a car that you may otherwise LOVE?

~alpha
  • truebluestangtruebluestang Member Posts: 1
    Have any of you had problems with the CD player acting up? I got my Solara about 2 to 3 months ago. From the day I got it, it never worked right. Here's an example. 50% of the time that I put a CD into the drive whether it was a burnt CD or a production one, it would come up with an error. Let's say I was listening to a CD and flipped over to the radio to check weather or traffic for a minute, then switched back... Error 99.999% of the time. They switched the CD player out, but this one is just as bad as the one before. Just seeing if I'm the only one with a problem.
    I have a 99 Odyssey EX with auto A/C and I like it better than the one in Solara. You may leave the Auto mode for switching cold and hot air but manually adjust the fan speed. In Solara, once you change the fan speed, the auto mode is off. I leave it in Auto which is the default once you start the car. I think this is the evidence of cost cutting.

For the CD changer, mine is working all right and smooth. If I remember right, you need to select the empty slot before insert the CD. If not, the system will assume the slot it is on. I will double check and confirm that. The one in Solara is much better than the Escape I rent for a week. Escape need to shuffle one by one instead of press the slot number for this. And it takes some time before accepting CD. I don't have problem on switching between CD and radio so I guess is bad luck? Have you read the user manual of operation or you just figure it out by yourself? More than often the problem can be resolved by reading the manual. Just my suggestion since it works well 90% of the time!
  • 94supra94supra Member Posts: 32
    To each their own. Frankly, I would not want my automatic system to change the fresh air mixture without my explicit input, since this control has as much to do with humidity control as temperature control. If the automatic system also let me set my humidity preferences in addition to my temperature preferences, I might change my mind, but I haven’t seen an automotive system with that capability yet. If I find pushing 1 button to be too challenging, I may be ready for the retirement home!
    The difference in the Solaras torque advantage is GREATER than the difference in the Accords HP advantage....

Accord: Peak HP by 15 horses
    Solara: Peak torque by 28 foot pounds

Just something to think about
    ~alpha
    Finally figured it out.

2k1trd -- you're 50% correct. But your response inspired me. Here's what I found.

If you use Auto, and manually increase or decrease the temp., the mode (front, front/floor, floor) will automatically switch according to the temp. When the temp goes up, it'll switch from front, to front/floor, to floor. It will also automatically switch back (from floor to front) if you lower the temp.

Now if you turn off the system, and turn it back on by pressing the Fan speed, this "automatic mode switch" function will still be there even Auto is off. Increasing or decreasing the temp will automatically switch the Mode.

Now if at this point, you manually hit the Mode button to switch the mode because you don't want to heat up your foot, this "automatic mode switch" function will be disabled, until you hit Auto again.

Whew. 2k1trd and cooldad can you try that on yours and see if it's the same?? I don't mean to be so anal about this air control thing. But I just want to make sure I'm in control and know how it operates.

"toyota a/c is crap compared to honda." ????? Is that an opinion or fact? What kind of testing have you done to both systems to come out with such conclusion? Please share with us here. BTW, the new Solara came out in Fall/Winter and there's no exteme hot weather to test the A/C system yet.

alpha -- you forgot to mention both HP and Torque come out at higher rpm too.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Cute is a word I rarely apply to motor vehicles, but I'm making an exception in the case of the 2004 Toyota Camry Solara.

This second generation of the Solara coupe is cuter than the first ... and the first was pretty cute. ''Ruggedly handsome'' just does not work with this car, especially when the tested model is coated in paint called ''Absolutely Red.''

''Redder-Than-Red'' or ''Blindingly Red'' would have worked, too. The tester all but screamed for attention, accentuated by a saucy new design with a V-shaped grille and an aerodynamic, bumper-to-bumper arc.

Style is important for Solara. Since 1999, the car has been entrenched among Top 10 lists of passenger models preferred by female buyers. The sleeker look for 2004 should do nothing to drop Solara off those lists.

The arc shape raised Solara's roofline by nearly 2 inches compared with the first generation, and Toyota's engineers stretched the new Solara's wheelbase by nearly the same amount. The realignment translates to improved room, which was much needed in the rear seats. Adult legs no longer press up against the front seats.

The power plant also has been upgraded. The tested SLE, the top Solara model among three trim levels offered, came with a 3.3-liter V-6 with variable valve timing technology and 225 horsepower. That's a big step up from the 3-liter, 198-horsepower V-6 in the previous SLE.

The Solara's new engine provided brisk acceleration, with the electronically controlled, five-speed automatic transmission working the shifts smoothly. The gearbox also allows for clutchless manual shifting.

Four-cylinder Solaras can be had with either a five-speed manual gearbox or a four-speed automatic, and the base Solara SE with a manual is a genuine bargain with a starting price of $19,120.

In truth, the Solara SLE's performance was most impressive once the engine revs were up. The SLE whipped around traffic on surface streets and area freeways like a champ. It sawed off sharp surface-street corners with sports car-like crispness; kudos to Toyota engineers who designed the car's sport-tuned suspension (independent front and rear).

The Solara's redesigned interior likewise radiated sportiness. A center-mounted gauge display is sharp-looking and easy to read -- especially with illuminated pointers on the gauges. Chrome and woodgrain accents were attractively sprinkled and not overdone.

The impressive list of standard features included a power moonroof and a sweet-sounding JBL premium audio system with a six-disc CD changer and eight speakers.

With a new generation come new challenges. Primary among them was an automatic climate-control system on the tested SLE that was consistently about five degrees off in both warming and cooling modes. And recurring warnings from the tire-pressure monitoring system were exceedingly annoying because that jarring exclamation point in the message center always makes the heart skip a couple of beats.

Trips to nearby gas stations showed that the tires were up to Toyota specifications. Cold weather start-ups were the likely cause of the tire-pressure warnings -- one reason that I have serious reservations about good-intentioned, but sometimes-deceiving, tire-pressure monitoring systems.

One other gripe: A large adult needs to do some serious bending and grunting to semi-gracefully slip into or out of the back seat area. In fairness, that's a universal problem native to most midsize coupes. And making the car bigger only makes it more expensive.

Overall, the latest Solara is a positive step in the evolutionary process. Probably the most important thing Toyota could do with the car was make it distinct ... that is something more than a two-door version of a Camry sedan.

Along that line, the automaker did a good job, producing a stylish, agile, two-door passenger model that makes Solara resemble more of a high-spirited, chance-taking cousin than a bland Camry knockoff.
    i personally do not use the "auto" mode any way so i really don't care...
    I have been getting somewhere between 16 and 18 mpg in combined city / highway driving. I have not been on any long trips to be able to check highway only mileage, but this seems a bit low to me. I shrugged it off at first, thinking that I had been a little too happy with the gas pedal when I first got the car, but even when I am careful, the mileage is still in the big SUV territory. Anyone else getting this kind of mileage? I am wondering if the pull left /alignment issue is hurting mileage.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I have a 2002 SE 4 cyl and get 32-34 on the highway at 75 mph. Have not checked city, stop and go mileage
    My car is an 04 V6 SLE. I would expect the 4 cyl to get better mileage, but all the reviews have been pretty glowing about what the V6 has been rated for. Am trying to figure out if I have a problem or if reviews / EPA is so much fantasy.
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    I am comparing it to camry. If it is longer, would it fit into the camry? I wish they have the same seat rails since I find the camry's seat to be short and doesn't have enough thigh support. I remember sitting into a solara and elt more comfortable with good thigh support, but I need four doors. Toyota please listen up. Why is it so hard to have a long seat bottom like the prevous generation camry, or the current maxima, galant, mazda6, passat? I hope it's not one of the cost cutting measures.
  • icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    Anyone have any information on the navigation system that comes as an option on the Solara. We have a Magellan portable system in our other car, and I was wondering if it was worth it to get the standard system in the solara or just to go with a magellan system. Is the solara's system CD based? How is the coverage?
    Any recent car Navigation will be superior than the hand held one. For one, all latest Nav using DVD to cover 48 states. Hand held one use flash memory or compact flash card with up to a state's map and destinations. Some metro area like L.A. take full of the memory. Some larger portable model using CD-Rom which need to replce when travel to a new area. Maybe there are newest models adopting DVD but performance and user friendness can't come close to the better design car NAV. About a year ago, CR did portable NAV testing. The results show none is on par of the system form Japanese and Germany brands. The big three are mixed but they are improving the software and should catch up very soon.

Some reviews have reported the NAV saying is quite good considering its lower price and performance. If I remember right, they claim the NAV system is not as good as those in Lexus and Acura, but better than those in european brands. You can get some idea when test drive. Ask your dealer to find one with NAV for test drive. Then you can play with it to see how easy to use and the precision compared side by side with your portable one.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The in car DVD based maps are best, but are generally $1300 to $2000 or more. One hidden cost is that you usually are required to buy some other options before you can order the navigation, so the real cost is even higher if you weren't going to get the other options anyway.
    In the last year, hand held units have improved. They do not have all the shortcomings you listed, but still are not as nice as a DVD based system.
    I can load the maps of CA, Nevada and Oregon on a 256MB SD card on a PDA and have room to spare with some PDA based systems. I can load the entire US on the hard drive of a laptop based system using Routis 2004. If I want to go "cross country" I will fly, not drive, so the PDA system works fine for me.
    The GPS software and hardware cost about $200, so it is super cheap if you already own a laptop or newer PDA. If you have to buy a PDA or laptop for the sole purpose of using it for nav and have no need for the portability, then just get the built-in system.
    The NAV is $1,350 MSRP option alone without any other option on the SLE and SE V6. I have PDA and have checked out the NAV software. It dies provide your location and direction to the destination. But what it lack is other resources like ATM, Back, restaurant and more importantly hospitals and police station. You ahve to to plan in advance since you need to download it if plan changed and you have to bring along your Laptop. My company is working on GPS so we have collected and compared many portable GPS system. None is as capable and easy to use as car Nav. If you need one, buy the one in the car. There do exist the portable one is bigger (not PDA-like) and can be installed in the car like those after market one. CR has test them and rated them from fair to good while auto OEM is good (CD-ROM based) to excellent (ACURA and Lexus are quoted).

Another reason why those PDA platform unit performace poorly is power. PDA need to save power to keed the battery last longer. The power it emits is about 10% of those car based or after market. The difference is how many satelite you can link. The more linked, the higher precision. This is particular critical in metro without lots of high building or hilly area with many big tree. Along the hwy, the PDA should work fine though.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    You are not using a good PDA system. Routis 2004 has banks, atms, gas stations, restaurants, hospitals, shopping centers etc.. Like I said, I am able to load CA, plus adjoining states on an 256MB SD card, so you do not have to plan in advance or bring a laptop along with all nav programs.
    Try to find a Solara SE or SLE with nav and no other options.
    Many Lexus models are completely impossible to find with nav unless they also have the Mark Levinson stereo, rear DVD video entertainment system etc..
    The GPS unit I use does not only work out on the highway. I have used it in the city with tall buildings and trees around and had no problems, you can even add an external antenna for better reception. I have heard about ones with severe problems, but better navigation software and GPS hardware have come out in the last few months. Power is not a problem, the GPS I plugged into my PDA normally tracks 8 or more satellites and the PDA simply plugs into the cigarette lighter power port in the car.
    I still like the in car systems since they are easier to use than dealing with a laptop or PDA and the new Honda and Acura systems let you input commands with your voice (which is very cool), but they are all very expensive and don't add all that much to the resale value.
    I totally love the Nav. It uses DVD. Very convenient and useful if you like to travel around and have an active lifestyle. The only thing I don't like is I cannot "hide" the Nav. Not like those from Volvo or the new Mazda 3, it is not retractable and there's no cover to "hide" the nav. So I'm kinda worried sometimes if I have to park outdoor.

BTW, I think the Solara's Nav is pretty cheap given it's quality.
    OK, it's long past time for us to join other owners in one of the active discussions. We'll close this one, and you can continue in one of these others:
    Toyota Solara--Part 6
    Toyota Camry Solara: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

This discussion has been closed.