Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Toyota Solara

Comments

• defstitchdefstitch Member Posts: 4
    The 2004 will also be available in Phantom Grey Pearl which is like a charcole grey
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    The Sebring is recommended and the Solara is not.
  • icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    I've decided to wait until March and get the '04 convertible. (SE Sport, prob V6, in Lunar mist metalic) But I am interested if anyone here is seriously considering buying the coupe in aug/sept. I would like to know what you think of the car, any problems, etc.
    There will be no 2004 convertible; at least not until 2004 but that will probably be a 2005 model. The Sebring is now on the top ten list for 2004 by Edmunds and the Solara is not. Have you gone to a dealership and looked at the Sebring?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    How would expect the Solara conv. to make the list when it will not even be available to the press at least next year????

Why does Edmunds have a list out for 2004 already when half of the 04s arent out yet? How can the Solara coupe be expected to make the list? Is this list make or break for a vehicles sales success or overall indication of quality and performance? Hardly.
    if they didn't know about every 2004 model. So they must know about the Solara. If you want to see it, go to www.edmunds.com , look at the front page (some people are SO annoying) and click on the 2004 Car Buying Guide.
    Look at the top of the page, it says "PREVIEW". Read the text; it is indicated that information relayed in this article is from the vehicle's introduction at NYIAS.

If edmunds.com is picking vehicles to recommend without first driving them, that is a sorry way to operate an automotive journalistic piece, and furthers my impression that is a second rate source of new car review information.

I've said it before- the Tools (TMV, TCO, etc) are outstanding, as are these boards. Road, Comparison, and Long-term tests... not so much.

~alpha

PS-Libertycat, I sincerely hope that you were not calling me annoying.
    I would have to agree with most of your opinions. Where else have you found information on the solara ('04)? rather than more message boards, I have gone to those, and much prefer edmunds, but I agree with you on your opinion of the testing.
    as for your comment libertycat, I have heard nothing but problems about the sebring, and don't even want to waste my time driving to the dealership and looking at a car that i'm not interested in. I am going to be much happier trusting people I know and going with a much more reliable car (the solara) and waiting until the new model came out. I know you are partial to the sebring, but when others are considering something else, you should consider their thoughts too.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The colors that I posted before will be the only colors available in the US. Phantom grey is not one of them.
                      : )
                         Mackabee
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Toyota must have planned to use Phantom Gray at one point because it was sent out in their official TMMNA employee newsmagazine. Edmunds gives a great first drive rating to the 2004 Solara.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Do they get Phantom Grey Pearl? Or are the color choices the same between them and us here in the US?

It's too bad no dark greens are going to be offered, it's one of my favorite car colors. Oh well, I guess it's dark blue then! :-)

They could do without the Desert Sand Mica. Beige by any other name is still Beige (or Tan, or Champagne, or...), and still a very boring color.
    Weird, I have heard only good things about the convertible on the board and in magazines, etc. That's why I was recommending it to you.
    This link to a California dealership showing an early '04 solara order form lists the color Phantom Grey Pearl ; http://www.carsontoyota.com/html/2004solara.html
    are straight from the TVO which tells us which cars and color combinations will be built. Carsontoyota was just guessing at the time they posted their "wish list"
                       Mackabee
    If its just their wish list how did they know there was gonna be that new Oceanus blue available and other colors.
    Thou ur probably right, but we'll see when official info comes out.
    Official info IS out. I have it right here on my desk. 2004 Camry Solara July order
    Color availability: 0071= Arctic Frost pearl
                        01C8= Lunar Mist metallic
                        0202= Black
                        03P0= Absolutely red
                        04Q2= Desert sand mica
                        08Q5= Cosmic blue metallic
                        08R9= Oceanus pearl
    Interior colors: 00= Ivory
                     10= Dark Stone
                     11= Dark Charcoal
    I also have model numbers, invoice and MSRP and option prices but don't have the time to list them all.
                        Mackabee
    Those model numbers, invoice and MSRP and option prices would be great info when you have a chance to get them out to us. Also wondering if you know about any price differences in the convertible models.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    the new Solara looks like the first version of the Acura CL...
    I haven't noticed that. The new Solara is curvy and the old CL was bland (like the new one).
    Go to the last post on that thread for more info on the 04 Solara.
                         Mackabee
    was very ugly, and so is the 2nd (current) one. The Solara is infinite times better looking than any CL.
    I just said the SAME thing two posts ago.
  • thechosenone18thechosenone18 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know how much the Nav package is going to be and will it be available on the SE Sport model or just the SLE model? Does anyone know?
    I was also wondering about the stereo systems. I know the SLE has the JBL system. Is it standard/available on the SE sport. How much will it be as an option? Anyone with information?
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    If you read through the Edmunds first drive of the Camry Solara it does mention some options available on the cars. It's still hard to determine exactly what will be available but it gives you somewhat of an idea. Here is a paragraph from it.

"Front and rear side curtain airbags and a rear spoiler are optional on all trim levels. SE four-cylinders can be upgraded with a power driver seat and a moonroof while the SE V6 and SE Sport models can be further upgraded with an upgraded JBL sound system. All SLEs can be ordered with a touch-screen DVD navigation system but Toyota's electronic stability and traction control system is only offered on the SLE V6."
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I read the Edmunds first drive and I think that it looks OK in the Desert Sand from the photos. (It might be Lunar Mist) I really think that the Solara is going to be a hit, no matter what happens with the economy and the politics going around right now. I still want to see the Oceaneaus Blue (Did I spell that right?) looks like in person.
  • mgarlow1mgarlow1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone

As good as the Honda Coupe looks good I think I'm going to wait for the Solara and test drive it. Has anyone heard about the pricing up here in canada?

Marvin
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Does this car still have Mac Struts all around? How can one order a car when the dealers say you cannot order a car but must take what Gulf States Toyota sends. I want a full size spare tire and a power drivers seat but do not want a sunroof. Can this combination be obtained? Please help. Also I do not want anything added to the car at the "port" Can I get a red car with a black interior?
  • howiebxhowiebx Member Posts: 20
    I'm very interested in this car, it looks great on paper (as they say). I did see it at the NY Auto show too. Has anyone gotten a peek at the model ? What is the price for a loaded V6?
    Any opinions on Solara quality ?
    Thanks
    Around $29,200.00 with Navigation, Side curtain airbags, rear spoiler, VSC. Leather, moonroof,alloys, power stuff standard.
                        Mackabee
    The SLE V6 w/o NAV/VSC/Side Curtains/Spoiler will be $26,500- quite reasonable for what you get.

~alpha
    Try finding one without those options though.
    They are all coming in with the side bags, spoiler and vsc, and a few with the nav.
                      Mackbee
    I hope they don't flood the options list- like they did with the Sienna.
  • ksmanksman Member Posts: 8
    I was looking at the new photos of the 04 solara on edmunds. What are those two colors other than red? One looks like a greyish color and I can't decide if the other one is the silver, or if it is the new type of blue.
  • kgw707kgw707 Member Posts: 19
    ksman - I also like that 'slate blue' photo....could that be the 'Oceanus Blue' ????
  • kgw707kgw707 Member Posts: 19
    I've got the 1st brochure out from my dealer; the 'slate blue' you're refering to is really Cosmic Blue, same as on the '03 Matrix.
    The pics on Edmunds show a Desert Sand. I've seen the Ocean blue and its a cross between the Stratosphere blue and Catalina Blue if you can picture it. Not as dark as the Strat, but darker than the Cat blue. Every dealer in my region should have one on the lot by Friday. Talked to one of the truckers this morning and he told me they are already in the freight yard waiting for the word to load them! I'm excited!
                        : ?,

Mackabee
    I would at least hope for a darker blue than the ocean. The stratosphere suits me perfectly. Just give me a beige interior and I'm set!
    Any invoice/list options/packages pricing available yet? Where, por favor?

~alpha
    When does the 2004 Solara get it's own section at Toyota.com?

I'm getting tired of the "minisite" thing.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Yes, and when do they show up on the buyatoyota web site? They list "arrival dates" for every other model, but under Solara, nothing is listed!
    Toyota is so slow in updating the content of it's website.
    I'm getting tired of seeing the now-lame 2003 models (all Toyotas, not just the Solara), I just don't care about them anymore, just the 04s are what I'm interested in.

I'm in 2004 mode, baby!
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    i_luv_toyota-

I know what you mean. I think they leave the old models up as long as possible each year, to encourage people to buy up the remaining stock on the lots rather than get excited about next year's model. Understandable, but I do get impatient with it. By the way, the worst offender is Ford -- each year around November they will update their site with the new models!

-Andrew L
    Toyotas website is one of the worst in the business, and I'm a self proclaimed Toyota fan. In addition to leaving lame models up, they dont update thoroughly (ex- the 03 Camry frontpage talks about new standard features such as power drivers seat on all models, then the 03 Camry "Prices" page talks about a power drivers seat standard on the XLE.), they also don't offer a dealer inventory search (reference GM, Chysler, Ford, Nissan, or Mazda for how it could be done).

Shame!
    I too am tired of the Solara minisite.

~alpha
    it's one of the worst I've seen. It has no dealer inventory search thing like Honda. They didn't update the Sienna page until the day it came out, which is silly because as they know, people were pre-ordering Siennas since january.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I think Toyota's site's layout is very logical. It's much easier to access and navigate than Ford's and Chevy's. The build your own feature sucks. Toyota needs to do a better job on it. It seems that Toyota's car pages are updated on Friday afternoons. Check tomorrow.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    The 2004 Avalon section is up today. Camry is still 2003.

-Andrew L
This discussion has been closed.