Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Fleetwood

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    It's been a very long time since I posted here, especially after the thread was closed, but now I'm back.

Overall, the '93 Fleetwood Brougham is still doing excellent, but has gone through a series of issues since I was last here:

-Engine developed pretty bad spark knock/detonation and the check engine light kept coming on while cruising on the highway. Never lost power or felt anything but creamy, but did not sound good, so took it to the local GM dealer (sells everything BUT Caddy's) and they hooked it up to diagnostics and found the EGR valve, as suspected, was the source of the problem. Put a new one in, plus a new accompanying solenoid, and no more noise and no more light.

-Noticed last spring after the car sat out in a rain storm that it was leaking along the driver's side windshield top & door frame. After a while it stopped doing it there, and now leaks directly in front of the front overhead console almost every time it rains (no garage, but we try to cover it up) and has left the flip-out cupholer full of water a few times. Took it to a windshield place, but they didn't want to just re-seal the windshield because of the vinyl top, which they said could be hiding a leak underneath it. Not likely, but they wanted to do a water test before anything, and being winter still, we decided to delay it until the weather got better--hope to get it fixed SOON!

-Soon to be needing a few maintenance items, since it is now right at 99.9k miles. Namely, I'm thinking fresh transmission fluid and filter, tires (the old Atlas Pinnacles are just getting bad), and, hopefully, new shocks. The white vinyl top could also use a light freshening, so I'm going to look into getting it re-dyed since it's in perfect shape, just a little drab white instead of bright, fresh white.

Other than that, still love it, and hope to have it for a very long time! And maybe add another '93-'96 FW to the mix in the next few years to give the Roadmaster and the current Caddy a new "friend". :)
  • paldipaldi Member Posts: 210
    My black over black '94 Fleetwood just passed 220,000 miles. Noticed it's very hard to start in the rain after sitting out overnight. Suspect plug wires that are 105k miles old. What do you think? Never had any leaks, however the lower edge of the driver door trim is rubbing on the body. Door alignment? Hard to do?
    Hmm, not sure on the starting problem--hopefully someone else can chime in here.

As for the door, it may be sagging a little since it's been opening and closing for 220k miles and 11 years. Then again, what part actually rubs? Is the door visibly "out of alignment" or sagging at all when you look at it?
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Forget the re-dye........Heres a trick I use on my old Goat ragtop and 72 Fleetwood 75s tops snow white.

Bleach and hot water.............I scrub the top with Ajax......(keep as much off the paint as possible). Rinse, dry....then use bleach and hot water on a rag (don't let it leak or run on the paint) and wipe down the tops.

Snow White results !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know nowadaze there are paints that they spray on vinal roofs to maintain or change the color(s). Shiny too !..............
    That's how we originally got it clean, since that was the best idea my dad came up with after getting his white Roadmaster that had a pretty nasty looking white vinyl top. Cleaned it beautifully--shiny and white like brand new. So, as natural, when we got the Fleetwood, also with a white vinyl top but not as dirty as the Buick's, we used the bleach treatment again with the same stellar results.

Problem was, over time, it not only didn't last depsite weekly washings and application of protectant, but the Buick's went back to looking very nasty (thick gray stripes/marks) and the Caddy's began to look like my weekly "scrubbings" were taking the finish off (it really does look like the white has worn off, since the top of the texture bumps is gray in some areas).

As such, we tried the bleach again, but it had little affect a second time on either car. The Caddy doesn't look bad as is, and most people don't notice, but I do and it's bothersome. Here's an example:
    http://img152.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img152&image=10000416by.jpg

You can see the gray area on the top where I think the finish is wearing off and can't be bleached anymore (but I could be wrong).

"Ya know nowadaze there are paints that they spray on vinal roofs to maintain or change the color(s). Shiny too !.............."

Yep, that's what I was told by another Fleetwood owner, that they would re-paint his vinyl top (also white) since it wasn't cracked or damaged. That seemed an attractive option to me, if it didn't cost too much.
  • bigfins1960bigfins1960 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 96 Fleetwood, unfortunately it's not a brougham, at a local caddy dealer. It's a medium blue (Montana blue?), no vinyl top, grey leather interior and 73K miles. The service manager plugged into the onboard diagnostics and it came back clean, so I'm hoping to get some trouble free miles out of her. The dealer is replacing the CD player before I go pick it up because it refused to spit out the CD after we tested it (glad I found that BEFORE we closed the deal) Anyways, I was just reading some of the posts here to see what some of the common problems might be and think I'll have the cooling system looked over to avoid a distributor fiasco. I'm really looking forward to driving her this summer, especially after trading in my FWD Fleetwood with 148K. Here's hoping for plenty of happy motoring.
  • cadillacmikecadillacmike Member Posts: 543
    This is all from experience on my 1995 Fleetwood Brougham (triple black) and my other Cadillacs which total 4 at present.

1. change the plug wires along with the plugs at 100K miles. Your localACDelco parts store has "lifetime warranty" wires. Keep your box and receipt!

2. Change the water pumb by aound 120,000 miles at the LATEST. I won't give much of a warning of when it's about to al, and when (not if) it does, it will ruin the "optispark" distributor that is right below it.

3. Most of these cars came with factory engine oil coolers, these lines will eventually leak, Their expensive to replace, but cabe easilty done.

4. Your gas gauge wil lie to you from day 1. the sender retails for 440, but if you make friends with the parts guy (I HIGHLY recommend this ou can get for 330, plus labor to install.

5. keep up with your steering, if thelinkages get loose, you'll get wierd sterring issues.

6. lubricate the "steering stops" at each oil change to reduce or eliminate hte "clunk" you can get if you cock the swheel all the way over when going in or out the driveway.

Check with your local GM dealers on their GM Goodwrence lifetime warranty repairs. "Goodwrench shops" have the lifetime warranty on CERTAIN items, like shocks, AC compressors, EGR valves!, etc, but not on everything!. CHECK OUT THE COVERED PARTS LIST, Soem tiems are NOT covered, especially "wear" items like brake parts. Stay away from the dealers on brake repairs, they cost almost double in some areas and I'm still trying to get the dealer to keep their 4 axle brake job mo my 2000 Eldorado from squealing!.

The Yokahama tires are doing nicely on my car. The problem is that both Goodyear and Michelin who made the OE tires for this car have stopped making the 235-70-15 tire in whitewall! I do not recommend 235-75-15 because your handling will suffer! While the yokos are ok, I'm still looking for a T or H rated 235-70-15 tire for this car (and my 1968 DeVille conv which I run the same size on). Sears used to offer a Michelin T rated, lasted 7 years on my 1968, but again nowadays, BLACKWALL only!

Anybody who finds a good white wall for this car, please post!

Yopu'll fine that the front bumper top paint might bake in the sun (mine did) and that the top of the grey moldings that go around the waistline of the entire car will bake (mine did too) and that the top of the door (where it meets the vindow) will also bake. Thsea all happenned on my car, but they can all be painted. I did the bumper top, and the waist linee moldings, I'm still getting a price on the door top moldings. Also the trim at the base of the vinyl top at the rear will bake off too. I had that done. My 166,000 mile car look nearly brand new as a result :D :

Happy motoring :shades:
    Why will the handling suffer with 235-75-15 tires? We're currently trying to figure out what size tire to get as replacements, either to stick with the stock 235-70-15 or go with the slightly taller 235-75-15's that fill out the wheel well better and is an easy to find size. Furthermore, our '92 Roadmaster had new 235-75-15's on it when we bought it and they seem to make that car feel better at times than the FW.

Yet, we keep going back and forth on the issue. My father originally was going to put the 75's on just because he liked how they looked on his Buick and thought the 70's just look too small for such a big tank of a car. Now he isn't sure what he likes. I still want to go with the 75's, and have been told by a few people who have done the same, that they not only fit perfectly, but the extra sidewall makes the car ride even better. The speedo will be off by about 2mph (I already calculated it with a tool on a website), but that's very minor.

What Yoko's do you have? In addition to the size, we're also trying to decide on a brand to buy too. The car currently has a set of Atlas Pinnacle's on it that are getting quite worn down and are VERY loud on the road.
  • madircgodmadircgod Member Posts: 1
    having problems with fuel system yesterday it was only feeding fuel to one side of the carbaurator car sais it has electronic fuel injection now its not getting any fuel i am thinking its the engine computer does any one know how right or wrong i may be thank you for any help you may have for me
    Well, you do have a carbureter on an '83, but I'm not sure what the problem might be. Maybe time for a rebuilt or cleaned carb??
  • haulindedhaulinded Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 fleetwood 4.5 litre,it has a sensor on the trans fluid line.This sensor is broken but I can't seem to find one,or even what the name of this is.Noone seems to know what this is or what it does,can I bypass this?If I do what will happen? can someone help me I am tired of walking. :confuse:
    Door is 1/8 inch low. Bottom of interior door panel is rubbing on the door frame just enough to mar the plastic. Door never did look right to me from 23k miles when I bought it.
    Yup, mine just keep running at 223,000 miles. Needs plugs, wires and I suppose a water pump just to be safe. The plastic chromed spears on all 4 fenders are 'bubbled' but the ones on the doors are fine.
    Sounds like mine after sitting out on a damp wet night. Definately spark plug wires. imho
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A tv reporter is hoping to talk with someone who wants to purchase a Cadillac. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 31, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • blackcaddyblackcaddy Member Posts: 1
    my darn knee hits the corner of the dashboard on my '93 Brougham, and it has cracked it down to the foam. Any ideas on how to repair this, or who to take it to wouild be most appreciated.

Thanks. Anyone else have this problem?
  • judyajudya Member Posts: 3
    Hi! We are going to be needing new white wall tires on our 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood. Currently it has Vogues. My husband hasn't had any luck so far, locally here in Florida, finding good white wall tires. We'd like some recommendations please. Thanks!
    You might want to drop this link and Ask Connor at the Tire Rack.
  • trev2trev2 Member Posts: 4
    hello from ireland; i have a 1982 fleetwood brougham d'elegance coupe cadillac and need some new side trim, is it possable to buy this in the usa? does anyone know where i can purchase new parts for this vehicle, the car is driving and running fine but it would be good to have a contact in the usa that supply parts if i needed them..thanks.... trev.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Your prob. gonna have to do a google search for used Caddy parts to
    find what ya need.

Open up your e-amail address and we can send ya some good links for parts.
    Can't post them here directly because its a NO-NO at this site...............
    hi again from ireland ..thanks for the reply; i have opened my email setting and it should now be visable.i would be grateful for any information, thanks....
    You can post links to sites that sell parts. The restrictions on links are fully explained in our Rules of the Road (linked at the top of the page), but essentially they boil down to no links to other automotive message boards and no links to dealerships. Check them out and feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Meanwhile, assuming the link(s) you have in mind are neither to another message board or an automotive dealership, please share here for all to benefit.

Thanks. :)
    hi ppl ,does anyone know how to replace the bulbs on the long side lights which are up on the rear sail panels the are on the vinyl bit beside the d'elegance badges on both sides of the car?.
    or maybe i havent figured out how to switch then on yet ??
  • cgavincgavin Member Posts: 1
    I have had the above vehicle sitting in my garage for a number of years, she is in outstanding condition, in fact nearly showroom condition.. It has a oil leak on the underside but I am having lots of trouble finding it. Also the wire runners need replacing the motors on the sunroof are in working order.

Are these fairly simple repairs, can anyone let me know of a trust worthy autorepairer up here in Edmonton, Alberta. When i first purchased her I went to a local dealer but the prices when in outer space.

I found the car sitting in a chryler dealers lot and just went and bought her, I really want to her running like new but I am on a budget (kids at university)
    Many thank
    Chris
  • chapfrchapfr Member Posts: 1
    Hello All , I am looking for some measurements for a 68 Fleetwood , I need to travel out west to trailer one back east , I am looking for body width and width outside wheel to outside wheel to see if it will fit in my inclosed trailer . Thanks chapfr ;)
    Here's some specs for the '68 (just scroll down a little):
    Caddy History
  • derflderfl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Fleetwood. i was driving around the beltway the other day and had a blowout. No problem their but the rear chrome panel was ripped off. I have been trying to find a replacement but with not much luck. It sucks because The car is clean and only has 22,000 miles on it. Any help or suggestion would really be helpful.
  • ebbersebbers Member Posts: 6
    I've owned a 1993 Fleetwood (white with dark blue vinyl top and blue leather interior) for a few months. It has about 60,000 miles and driving it is like taking my living room couch on the road (very comfortable). The MPG is great, up to 29 on the highway. It has few options besides the top, but the keyless remote is cool. Besides, the base model is quite loaded to begin with. I feel like it does the driving for me.

I have a couple of problems that perhaps others have advice about.
    1. The serpentine belt has a chirp chirp sound, especially when the compressor is engaged. My 1997 Suburban (same 5.7L engine) just developed the same sound. I hope it isn't catching. I've replaced some pulleys and the belt, which cut down the constant squealing, but the chirp is still there. If I spray the top right pulley with WD40, the chirp stops. It is kinda rusty, could that be the problem?
    2. I need a small part for the rear window regulator, but so far every store has said they sell only the entire regulator (thanks a lot, $350). The part I need is a small donut shaped plastic disc that slides in a track to allow the window to raise and lower. Do any shops sell just this part?
  • derflderfl Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem with my 1995. I went to a couple of dealerships to find the piece. Part 9666748 and cost about five bucks.
    $5 for a 50 cent part is not bad when you consider paying $350 for the whole assembly. If i can find a helpful dealership as you did, I'll owe you big time.

P.S. Is it true that the larger engine in the 1995 is both more powerful AND more economical? I get 18 around town and 27 on the highway (with the A/C compressor on, and 2 more MPG with it off).
  • 19901990 Member Posts: 2
    I NEED HELP ANY BODY HAVE MY PROBLEM? I HAVE THE 307 OLDS ENGINE, WHEN I START UP THE MOTOR IDLES GREAT. AFTER WARM UP IT STARTS TO SHUTTER, SHUT OFF AND RESTART IT IDLES GREAT AGAIN.
    CHANGED CARB & PLUGS , WIRES AND CAP AND ROTOR ARE ONLY 20,000
    MILES OLD. EVERY TIME I RESART ENGINE IDLES GREAT FOR 5 MINUTES OR SO. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.
    You might want to cross-post this in our Idle or Stalling Problems discussion. Let me give you a tip, though - take you caps lock off. Posting in all caps makes your message hard to read and it comes across as though you are yelling. Good luck, hope we can help.
    Wow, that stinks. Those chrome panels on the BOTTOM are very expensive to replace and, if I'm not mistaken, have actually gone out of production (they typically make the parts longer than they make the car), so the only way to get them is via a one-off dealer that just happens to have one laying around, or, most likely, a salvage yard.

I'll keep my eyes out on the net and post if I find anything. In the meantime, here's a GREAT site to search lots and lots of salvage yards for specific parts:
    http://www.car-part.com/
    If you're talking about the LT1 350 V8 in the '94-96 models, then yes, it is quite a bit more powerful, but not more economical. MPG ratings are virtually identical to the '93 and its older TBI 350.

I have a '93 too, with the 350 TBI engine and while it's only rated at 185 horses (REALLY pathetic for such a large engine), it runs and sounds like silk, and has some SERIOUS guts to it, when asked. It sure does move--which has always made me think that the LT1-powered newer ones really must be as amazing as everyone says they are.

That said, I've been extremely satsified, and am currently looking at buying ANOTHER '93 to give our current white one a friend, and give me a car to get back and fourth b/w college and home next year.
  • timothy60timothy60 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Last week I bought a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. It is in excellent condition throughout, everything works, but it has 140,000 miles on the odometer. The people I bought it from said they are mostly highway miles. I paid $3350 for it. My question is: what maintanance should I do on this vehicle to keep it running well? It seems totally fine at the moment, perfect actually! I plan to use this vehicle as a daily driver to and from work. (60 miles round trip on the highway) Should I bring it to a mechanic and have anything replaced or changed? How do you take care of a vinyl top? Thank you in advance for your kind advice.
    Tim
  • ninteyfivefletninteyfiveflet Member Posts: 1
    Yea so I just bought a 95 fleetwood.I need a dashboard.Does anyone know or have any suggestions where I could find a dashboard,aftermarket or whatever.Ive tryed to look one up with no results.Any help would be much appreciated........Thanks
    To find a dashboard, have you tried auto salvage yards (junkyards)? I am sure that more than just a 1995 model year would have a dashboard that fits. And some of these salvage yards are tied into computer applications that find parts across the country. Just use your yellow pages and call a few to see if they have either a 1993-95 dashboard or if they have a parts locator application.
    Here's a GREAT site to find virtually any part you can think of, in salvage yards nationwide:

http://www.car-part.com/

You should be able to find everything you need there, after a bit of searching and maybe a couple phone calls to get specifics.
    derfl wrote: "Part 9666748" for rear window.
    I reply: Yep, my dealer found that specific part at a nearby Chevrolet dealer for $4.44 plus tax. It was not an exact match for the original part, but it fit nicely and looks stronger than the original. I put the door panel back on and now the window works as good as new. Thanks very much for the tip!!!!

Does anyone have experience with my other problem, a "chirp chirp" from the serpentine belt? It went away when I treated it with belt dressing, but then I learned that these new belts are ruining by belt dressing. Expensive lesson. It also goes away when I spray a touch of WD40 on a certain rusty-looking pulley.

To add to the situation, my 1997 Suburban with the same 5.7L engine now has begun the "chirp chirp."
    Does anyone have an experience where your radio stopped working and the antenna didn't go up? My mechanic said it could be the radio itself or some module in the antenna control. For several weeks it simply displayed the same time on the clock, but today the clock started working, and antenna went up, and I could tune in a radio station. But then, bizarrly, I could not turn it off! That situation lasted for a couple of minutes and then it went back to not working.If I didn't know better, I say there were gremlins in the radio.

If I have to replace the radio, I'll get one with a CD player.
    Mike
    Definately not a problem I've ever heard of, but it sounds like some kind of an electrical short in the wires somewhere--either in the power to the radio or inside the radio itself.

Do you ever notice it not working/working properly again when you go over bumps? A lot of times similar issues will happen in cars when and if the grounds are bad/faulty, something that's been happening for a while now with the rear speakers in our '92 Roadmaster--they'll flicker off and on over bumps in the road.
    Just to get things refreshed a bit in here, thought I might add that I'm close to buying Fleetwood #2! Just happened to stumble upon a '95 Brougham when on the net a couple weeks ago that was at a used car dealer VERY close to where we live. Went and drove it last week, and fell in love.

The specs:
    1995 Fleetwood Brougham
    -Marblehead Metallic w/ Light Neutral leather
    -118k miles
    -Only options are the Brougham package, locking fuel door, and a full size spare
    -Blackwalls (UGLY), but they're still a pretty fresh set of Michelins all around, so that's not a real biggie
    -In BEAUTIFUL shape, and even nicer than our '93, which I always regarded as next to immaculate
    -$4995 internet cash price

Drove nicer than my '93, and even felt tighter despite the slightly higher mileage (118k vs. 103k on our current one), and the price is well within my budget. Always wanted one of my own, since the '93 was technically just bought by my father for my brother and I to have a nice "to school" ride.

Here's a couple pics, too:
    '95 Marblehead FWB

Love the LT1 and the beautiful color combo...just need to get a few last minute insurance and banking things cleared up, then hopefully there will be 2 in the driveway :blush:
  • my_95_hooptymy_95_hoopty Member Posts: 2
    I was having the same problem we tried belt dressing and it got much much louder so we changed the serpentine belt, we noticed the belt had some wear but just in one area. The belt we took off wasn't that old so we are going to watch it and if it does it again we will investigate further (check pulleys etc) so far it is working fine. Man doesn't this car HAUL IT? My friends all pick at me asking my why I'm driving that big old car but I love it. I usually give them a ride when they have to bring thier NEW cars to the shop for repairs LOL

Denise
  • my_95_hooptymy_95_hoopty Member Posts: 2
    I just saw one on ebay while I was looking for a center console for my 95 fleetwood. I got the item number for you, it is 8027871340. Good Luck , Denise
  • a3da3d Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I would like opinions on a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham I am considering buying with 32,000 miles on the odometer. I borrowed this car for a week last summer and it performed flawlessly on a camping trip to Wilderness State Park near the Straits of Mackinac. That's approx. 350 miles from my home in SW Michigan and it carried my family of 5 plus all our camping gear, including cooking supplies and a 10x12 screen tent without a problem up and back. And with a style and grace I haven't experienced before, I might add.

This car is beautiful inside and out with still-shiny paint, a pristine vinyl top and gorgeous leather interior. Everything works-keyless entry, all power switches, load-leveler rear (no leaks I could see over 7 days) and not a hiccup from the 5.7 Liter V8.

With only 32,000 miles on the odometer, however, I wonder about the various seals and gaskets and if some of them might have aged enough during the past eleven years or so with so little driving to cause some problems. I will, of course have my mechanic go over the car before I plunk down my money, but I would appreciate any opinions/experiences anyone can give me about what we should be looking at in terms of replacement in a Fleetwood in this condition.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Thanks! :confuse:
    You can see a photo of the Fleetwood at our campsite at Wilderness State park: Fleetwood "camper"

We DID turn some heads when we pulled in amongst all the SUVs, trucks and RVs! :)

P.S. The whitewalls carry the name, "NAIL GUARD"...

A3D
    We heard from the private sellers of the Fleetwood that they would accept 7K even for it. They said the water pump has been replaced.

Please forgive me for my frustration, but in the last two weeks my two beloved Oldsmobiles (each running beautifully on the GM 3800 engine with over 140K on each) have been totaled and I am now faced with replacing them.

A3D
    Hi. I see that we don't seem to have any Fleetwood folks to help you at the moment. Someone may still chime in, but in the meantime, you might want to post in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion to see what those folks think of the deal.

Be SURE to follow the posting format just above the post box so that they have all the information they need. And don't be shy about reposting if you don't get an answer right away.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I don't own one of these, so my comments are probably not worth much. The big question on the mileage is when they put the miles on. That is about 3000 miles per year or 250 miles per month. So the question is have they been driving the car steady since it was new, or has it been parked for the last few years? If your mechanic does not find any leaks, then once you start driving it more, it should be OK. I would query your mechanic on this though.

This car should be easy to service and repair as there is plenty of room under the hood and the rear wheel drive puts the engine and transmission where they are easy to get at.