Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sulfur Smell from Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• reddfish2reddfish2 Member Posts: 4
    My problem was intermittent also.There was a chance that it wouldn't happen if the lemon law arbitrators drove the vehicle. When I advised them that the problem was intermittent, they decided not to drive the vehicle, but made their decision on the facts of the case and witness statements. Toyota kept saying it was the brand of gasoline, but I documented trying at least 8 different brands and grades. If the replacement of the cc did the trick that's great, Toyota wouldn't even do that for me, that's why I went to arbitration.
  • slralslral Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the cat converter problem with my 2003 4 runner and the dealer is telling me that he can't just replace it - that I should try low sulphur gas. My argument is that a 3-year old car should not smell like sulphur and that they just need to replace the failing part. Any suggestions??
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Ask your dealer to check again for TSBs. The initial TSBs on the sulfur smell problem stated to advise the owner to change grade of gas. There is another TSB that came out that actually calls for replacing the cat. converter. I had it done for my Sequoia and it worked in elimating the odor. If i recall correctly, the TSB came out in the summer of '04. I can't say if it applies to the 4-runner (you can try to look it up at alldata.com or NHTSA.gov), but if they found a fix for the Sequoia cat. converter, why not the 4-runner?

-------------Editting to add:
    I just read an earlier post in this forum that states the following (i.e., there is a specific TSB for the 4runner):
    EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR
    Models:
    ’03 – ’04 4Runner (2UZ–FE)
    Technical Service
    BULLETIN
    June 14, 2004
    Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2003–2004
    model year 4Runner (2UZ–FE) vehicles under the following conditions:
    �� Stop and go driving.
    �� Heavy acceleration.
    In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor, the Electronic Control Module (ECM)
    (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and
    a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace
    the catalytic converter assembly.
    NOTE:
    For more complete understanding of the root cause, refer to TSB No. EG003–03
    “Sulfur Odor From Exhaust,” dated February 24, 2003.
    �� 2003 – 2004 model year 4Runner vehicles equipped with the 2UZ–FE engine
    produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
    MODEL PLANT DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    Tahara
    V8 2WD JTEZT##R#40016279
    4Runner
    V8 4WD JTEBT##R#40037525
    Hino
    V8 2WD JTEZT##R#48004215
    V8 4WD JTEBT##R#48015016
    OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    EG4004 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) Engine 0.8
    17410 50360 60 99
    Combo A R & R Catalytic Converter Assembly 0.2
    17410–Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component
    Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
    first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    * Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
    ENGINE
    Introduction
    Applicable
    Vehicles
    Production
    Change
    Information
    Warranty
    Information
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    yes, it does apply to the 4runner. I had it done in June 2004 on my vehicle, after smelling the sulphur smell for a few months after I bought it new. They replaced the CC and problem solved. My dealer did not give me a hard time about it, and fixed it for free.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Yes, indeed, I experienced this awful almost throwing up smell like a rotten egg yesterday on stop and go traffic. I have a 2006 4Runner LMT V8 4WD with a little over 1000 miles driven so far. I will definitely call Toyota and dealership to remedy the issue...

I just finished talking to the Toyota dealer and guess what bad news... there is a new TSB EG004-06 that does cover the 2006 4Runners... I am going to the dealer to let them check it out...
    I just came back from the Toyota dealer which he told me is bad quality of gas, but I told him I do not experience it on my other Toyota and it is the same gas... anyhow, he did not insist much and I will be replacing my dual CC in my 2006 4Runner LTD V8 4WD in a couple of days. I will post and let you know if the smell of SO2 goes away afterwards...

Thanks to all of the posters that contributed to the sulfur SO2 issue... it makes it easier to trouble-shoot issues when information is exchanged...

In conclusion, Toyota is not addressing this issue since it is a costly one (over $2k) to fix it and relies on a per case ("if you got the smell then we will take care of you").
    The bad news is that 2006 4Runners are under the sulfur SO2 issue... The TSB for 2006 4Runner V6 is EG004-06 and 2006 4Runner V8 is EG005-06.
    It baffles me that Toyota continues to use the same catalytic converter when they know it causes this problem. I have a Sequoia that was fixed by the TSB a couple of years ago. It must be more costly to modify the existing cc across the board than to just replace them when people complain. Could it be that they don't meet federal emission standards with the modified cc? Anyone in a state with emissions testing had a replacement cc put in and still pass testing? Just curious.
    Oh, I am sure it passes the emission testing control and so on. The reason is what you just said and also questioned Toyota dealership and stated the same reason to be the HIGH COST over $2,000 to replace my two CCs and Toyota will honor ONLY if customer complains, so I took advantage and fixed it right away w/o much hassle...

Can you imagine $2,000 X 100k customers more or less = $200 millions...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can you imagine $2,000 X 100k customers more or less = $200 millions...

Yes, but compared with the $30,000 X 100K = $3 BILLIONS they paid for the vehicles makes it small potatoes! ;)

tidester, host
    Yeah, but my question is, why do they even need to replace them on 2006 models? This problem has been around for a while and the new cc's have been available for several years to correct the problem. Why not put the new cc's in right on the assembly line? Something else is at play here.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    an astute question. perhaps margin / profit?

if the part number is the same then the issue is manufacture / quality control. it would be interesting to know if the part is being replaced with a different part number.

if the part number is not the same, while it could also be manufacture / quality control, most likely it is expense because of superior design, tolerances, materials, size, etc etc.

the number of TSBs across a range of models... perhaps its a matter of manufacturer / supplier lot related QA issues...

outsourcing issues?
    I was told it is definitely different part number.
  • beach_girlbeach_girl Member Posts: 5
    I was hoping someone could help me here -- is there an acutal TSB for a 2003 4Runner V-8 SR5 with the sulfur smelling exhaust problem? I found it for the V-6 model but not the V-8.

I was at the dealership today and I feel like I'm getting the run around. I was told to change gas stations -- been there, done that. The dealership has known about this problem for at least two years and I told them I would remind them every time I came in. My service advisor said he'd provide me with the TSB that acknowledges the existence of a sulfur smell but that there is no fix for it. When I checked out with the cashier she did not have the TSB and said my service advisor did not provide her with one. She said I could check with another service advisor because mine had gone out for lunch. :mad:

Thanks in advance.
    Backing up / then "moving forward" ;)

>>
    TSB EG003-03

Introduction:
    Some owners of Toyota vehicles may experience a sulfur like or rotten egg odor from the exhaust system. Sulfur is a natural component of crude oil from which gasoline is refined and the amount of sulfur can be decreases through the refining process. The amount of sulfur in fuel in CA is regulated, however gasoline sold in other states can have substantially higher sulfur content. Sulfur content also varies considerably between gasoline brands and locations.

Applicable vehicles:
    All models

Repair procedure:
    A sulfur odor emitted from the vehicle tailpipe does not necessarily indicate that there is an issue with the engine’s condition, but is most likely directly related to the fuel. If the vehicle is exhibiting an excessive sulfur odor, the following checks should be performed:

If the MIL light is ON, check for DTCs and repair as necessary

If no trouble is found after performing the above check, recommend the customer try a different source of fuel.

Replacement of oxygen sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors or catalytic converters will not reduce the odor and therefore will not be considered warrantable.
    >>

That was amended with:
    http://www.autosafety.org/Toyota%2003-04%204Runner%20Catalyst.pdf

And for the V8 there is this:
    TSB: EG020-04:
    Title: Excessive Sulfur Dioxide Odor
    Models: '03-'04 4Runner (2UZ-FE)
    Date: June 14, 2004

Google with the following to get a copy:
    +"4Runner (2UZ-FE)" +sulfur
    Thank you very much -- next question:

my VIN# is not in that range. I have a 300 series VIN

JTEBTxxRx30012751

I bought the 4Runner in VA but now live in Southern California and I still get the sulfur smell -- which I describe as an ammonia smell - it's acrid - burns my nose. My dad had a Buick Regal in the '70s that had that rotten egg smell which is different then what I'm smelling from my truck. My service advisor had the nerve to tell me to close the windows when I'm driving uphill to which I replied: then why do I have windows that open and close? so that I can keep them closed?

Thanks again.
    I believe the last TSB which I suggested you google (read and print it!) indicates that the applicable vehicles are those with that engine, V8, 2WD and 4WD which were produced BEFORE the VINs listed (the word BEFORE being important to you).

Are you sure sure your VIN doesn't fall into the range convered by the TSB? It implies that for vehicles of the provided VINs moving forward in production, there is no issue (implying they caught it and fixed it or had otherwise switched parts), but for those *BEFORE* the VINs listed, there is the issue.

OK, I'm not a VIN decoder expert. I may be wrong. ;)
    Is there such a thing as VIN decoder expert? :-)

OK - I re-read the printed TSB you provided and yes, I would think my 300-series VIN would come before the 400-series VIN but without my decoder ring I can't be sure.

We have a new Toyota dealership here in SoCal so maybe I will give them a call for my next service.

Thanks again.
    umm, yeah - anybody in the biz of buying, selling, or insuring cars is probably pretty good at it.

here is some information:
    http://www.autohausaz.com/html/vehicle_identification_numbers.html

;)
    I thought after replacing both CCs the smell of SO2 will go away, but to my surprise it is still there. I placed a call to the Toyota dealership where I had the dual CCs replaced and he told me if I still use the same gas... waiting to hear back from him if there is anything else that can be done...

My conclusion is either dealership did not do the job right or the gas brand Murphy USA is causing this issue.

Has anyone else experienced the bad smell SO2 on a 2006 4Runner LTD V8 4WD even after replacing the CCs?
    Hi -- wanted to let you know I contacted Toyota 1-800-331-4331, and questioned them about the TSB and I was told that my vehicle does not fall within the parameters of it but they would go ahead and open a case where the dealership needs to respond to corporate within three business days. My dealership called me 4 hours later and they've ordered the new catalytic converter and will replace it once the parts have arrived. The service manager was very helpful and polite. He'll also be ordering my new visors since my 4Runner is part of Campaign 30G where certain vehicles did not receive vanity mirrors on their visors. I thought it was kind of weird there were no mirrors but I never questioned it -- but Toyota Corp in California did and now I get my mirrors -- I'm so vain!! :blush:
    Thanks--
    well, i told you i was no VIN master! ;)

it's nice to see the company is doing right by a good customer, vain or not. ;)
  • nj4runnernj4runner Member Posts: 3
    Where do you get the TSB from? I'd like to get a copy before a go to the dealer. From reading earlier post I believe it's TSB EG004-06. Anyone have a link? The trunk only has 550 miles on it and I smell it already.
    Here's the link for the TSB EG003-03

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/sulfur_smell/eg003-03.pdf

And here's the only link I could find for the TSB EG004-06

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1141200000000_1141718400000_EG004-06/index.htm- l
  • nj4runnernj4runner Member Posts: 3
    Thanks alot for the info.
  • lovewalleyelovewalleye Member Posts: 3
    The tail pipe is too short, and should be have a right-angled piece added on the end of it.
  • ktoddktodd Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm having a huge problem with my 4runner smelling like eggs. The Toyota rep is coming out to talk to my husband and I on Wednesday. I'm sure that he is just going to give me the run around like every other Toyota rep, so I plan on going to arbritration. Do you have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Did you get your 4runner repurchased or replaced? Thanks for your time!
    ktodd, did you read the messages in this forum? there is a TSB on the 4runner (and on other models) calling for a reprogramming of the ECM (Engine Control Module), and replacement of the Catalytic Convertor.
  • dedheddedhed Member Posts: 6
    just one question... were you driving anywhere near the Whitehouse???? ;)
  • merollemerolle Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 4runner that smells every time i drive it, it is so unbarable i get sick from the smell. the dealer keeps telling me to change gas and it is a normal thing for new cars. well the b.s. keeps changing they changed the exhaust front pipe subassy r&r and 2 weeks later the smell is back.$30,0000 truck and they think I am going to smell this everyday you're joking right? furthermore what about the enviroment and health issues this could potentially cause some serious side effects that i don't want to take.
    please reply if you're experiencing the same smell with your 4runner
  • loganslogans Member Posts: 2
    Merolle - I too am having the same problem. Every time I accelerate, the smell is so obvious that I get a big head-ache. The dealership replaced the catalytic convertor but the smell resurfaced 2-3 weeks later. Also, my average mile per gallon has decreased by 2 miles. I'm supposed to drop it off this Wednesday. Probably get the run around. Let me know your status or anybody else having the experience, please share with us. Thanks

Logan s
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    You need to make sure that your dealer used the convertors from the TSB. Do you get the odor with all 5 windows up while driving down the road?
  • my4my4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi...Are any of you still having issues with the sulfur smell, and if so, how have you handled it. I have a 2003 4Runner and have notice the smell as well.
  • reddfish2reddfish2 Member Posts: 4
    If you still have the vehicle, take it to lemon law arbitration. There may be a time limit so you may want to check. I got all my money back plus interest on my 2003 runner.
  • consumer14consumer14 Member Posts: 4
    Hi this is really bob443, I started this over three years ago, but I did a login id and password that I do not remember. Any way lets update everyone on what the situation is with Toyota and your options with the sulfur mell:

Basically there is nothing you can do. It's a matter of them using a different Catalytic converter (a cheaper one). I took this trough the Arbitration court and lost. I tried hard and based my issue with the fact that the smell was putting my child's health at risk. It didn't work. So here is what you can do:

1. Buy the attachment that pushes the exhaust pipe out to the side and then it won't come into the windows as bad.

2. Your best bet if you don't like the smell hook up your car to run E85 and you will smell french fries instead.
    http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id26.html

3. Buy a Honda.

I don't mean to be harsh but I am so fed up with Toyota and I have since sold the 4Runner.

Good luck, sorry I don't have any good news to report.
    There was a TSB that called for the dealers to replace the Catalytic Convertor and reprogram the ECU.

EG020-04, EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR, 2003 – 2004 model year 4Runner vehicles equipped with the 2UZ–FE engine produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs listed (see the TSB for the VIN #'s).

see message 808.

Factually, Toyota had issues with a number of models with CAT Convertors that were probably defective.

Good luck.
  • consumer14consumer14 Member Posts: 4
    Oh ya we took it in and had the Catalytic Convertor changes and re programed but I am just a consumer who can't tell one Catalytic Convertor from the next but it looked like they put in a new one but it must have been the same type that they are using when they build the 4Runners because the smell was still there. That's when we took it to Arbitration and lost.
    hmmm,

did you do this BEFORE the new cat was available? replacing it with the same CAT and just doing a reprogramming probably wouldn't help.

did you try taking it to another dealership? because the new P/N covertor and the reprogram should have helped you.
  • torchfevertorchfever Member Posts: 1
    Is there a VIN search I can do? Driving with the windows down is tough in MI when it is 20 degrees out.

thx.
  • loganslogans Member Posts: 2
    I have an automatic 2006 Sport Edition 4 Runner. Most time when I shift the gear to drive, the transmission takes awhile to engage; It's let driving a manual when you're trying to push the gas and it just sits there until you release the clutch then all of the sudden (4-6 seconds later) the transmission catches. It's been a year since I have the car and it is happening more often and now takes even longer for the transmission to engage.

I had this problem ever since I bought the car a year ago. Every time I take to the dealership, a mechanic will drive the vehicle and he does not see or feel the problem. They plug a computer to it and get no reading. It's getting very frustrating because friends who ride with me are experiencing the problem and the dealership don't. Not sure what to do or if anyone else is experiencing this as well. Sounds like I have a bad transmission but cannot prove it.
    how many miles on it? it's possible it needs the transmission fluid replaced, specially if it is dark in color.

it's also possible you have a lazy / slow solenoid valve assembly which controls where the fluid is ported. my thinking is. they won't replace that for you?

have you brought it to another dealership? should be a warranty item right?

i feel for ya.
  • des19554des19554 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 4Runner and I get the sulfur smell mostly when I drive with my sunroof and rear window open. I am now getting the smell when using the defroster. Toyota dealer told me there is nothing they can do about this, they are aware it is happening but there is no fix. Service manager told me to "just drive with the windows up"! I refuse to alter my ways of utilizing the features of this vehicle and my comfort just to make it easier on the dealer!
  • schtenschten Member Posts: 1
    I see from the previous post that this is not the first time Toyota has had a problem with their CC's. I bought a new (08) toyota 4runner Limited V8 in March with 13 miles, now has about 11K. She had her first oil change after 5000 miles (as recommended by the dealer) then a month or two later I noticed something strange. When I go from slow to fast at a moderate pace (passing cars, cruise control engaging on a hill, merging from off ramps onto highways, etc.) I get a foul stench inside my car that smells like a mix of ammonia and sulfur. For those who are really quick you put those together to equal pee and poopie. The smell is terribly strong at first then eventually goes away.....until I need to accelerate quickly again.

I have tried various scenarios like accelerating with the AC and the re-circulate on and accelerating with the AC on and the re-circulation off. I have also tried both previously mentioned methods with the AC off. Windows open, windows closed, you name it..I've tried it. I mentioned it to my mechanic before her recent 10,000 oil change, when I picked her up he said everything he checked the exhaust and everything was okay.

Has anyone had any luck having the dealers remedy this since the last post? I'm due for an inspection in September, if I point my mechanic in the right direction, he sees a problem, is there a chance it won't pass? If it does, I was planning on bringin the failure slip to the dealer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    I seem to remember reading my owners manual that it cautions against driving with the rear window open because of fumes entering the cabin. We have a 07 sport edition with V8 and have never noticed sulfur smell.

good luck with resolving the problem.
  • sandalousandalou Member Posts: 1
    A while back I had owned a 1997 4Runner that I absolutely loved and now am thinking about buying another one because I need to get something with a V8 engine in it but don't want something that overly big either. However after reading many posts throughout this forum I now have definate concerns about purchasing another 4Runner. Can someone please let me know if every single year of 4Runners is experiencing the same problem. For example, I was considering maybe 2003 to 2007 but to me I believe that I read comments in this forum about every single one of those years possibly being effected by this smell. Any information/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I read comments in this forum about every single one of those years possibly being effected by this smell.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the sulfur smell. It's not like it's persistent or choking or toxic or anything like that. Typically, you occasionally get a whiff of it then it's gone.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pjwaszkopjwaszko Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Tacoma pre runner. I have noticed the smell for about 8 months. Always a big blast of it when I first turn on the blower for air or heat. My first thought was that the AC condensation water drain was plugged. But I checked that it it was dripping fine. Looked for a bad cabin air filter but have none. This weekend, I was taking off my driver side door panel to fix the arm rest, and OMG, the smell was in the door. Does not seem to make sense cause there are drain holes at the bottom of the door, but they must have something in the door that rotts when it gets wet. I am going to air out the door panel for a while then look close for what is causing the smell in the door. It would be great to have someone else check it out. Pulling off the door is easy after removing two screws and giving it a big pull at the bottom.
  • simmone31simmone31 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am from Malaysia and I am also facing the same problems as you guys/gals from across the globe. My 7 months old Toyota Innova (MPV) is producing excessive sulfur from the exhausts which is absorbed into the cabin. As such I have read many articles and found out that is is caused by the new catalytic converter (toyota replaced the cat converter with low nickel type). The smell will come 1) during stop and do 2) heavy acceleration.

There is nothing wrong with the air cond system; the excessive sulfur has forced its way into the air cond vent. There are 2 air cond systems in my car. The Service Centre concentrated so much on the front air cond vent that they have forgotten about the back air cond. All they are doing now is sealing the flaps (or any entries or gaps). Toyota is aware of their problem as it was posted in the TOYOTA TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MAY 24, 2004 (you can type and surf the title). Camry 02-04 Camry (2AZ-FE) faced the same problem.

The only thing I am afraid is that the catalytic converter will be clogged and I will face major engine problems. I heard misfire sounds (firecracker sound) from the exhaust the last few days and there were also excessive smell outside the car. I have turned off the rear air cond at the moment and there is no smell these 2 days but I am still monitoring the car.

I'll be sending my car back to the service centre on Monday to let them seal any gaps at the back and also to check the exhaust systems. Have called a few private car service firms to find out more. Most said that only 2 parts produce sulfur 1) Over charging battery 2) the exhaust/catalytic converter.

I hope I can share my solution from a cross the globe. At least the Americans can apply the "LEMON LAW" which is not applicable in Malaysia at the moment. Sealing gaps are temporary measures; sulfur dioxide can cause respiratory problem in the long term......BUT THE MAIN QUESTION IS " WILL THE NEW CAT CONVERTER DAMAGE MY ENGINE?"
    It is pretty persistent my dear; and the stench is not a mild one (but more like 10 people farted in your car) and I have wind down the window 2-3 times a day that would be how many times a year? multiply that for another 10 years. In the long term it will cause respiratory problems. It is really not fair to pay so much and face such a cumbersome problem from a new car. (by the way my MPV cost RM106,000.00 (USD33K).) :)
    Type in search and read (same problem on different models); but the problem is actually persisting till 2010....so is TOYOTA DOING ANYTHING?

Toyota Techincal Service bulletin Excessive sulfur dioxide odor

http://www.toyotapart.com/EXCESSIVE_SULFUR_DIOXIDE_ODOR_T-EG009-04.pdf

http://www.toyotapart.com/EXCESSIVE_SULFUR_DIOXIDE_ODOR_T-EG017-04.pdf

http://www.autosafety.org/Toyota%2003-04%20Corolla%20Catalyst.pdf

http://www.autosafety.org/Toyota%2003-04%204Runner%20Catalyst.pdf