Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Ford Escape Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    the factory financing incentives have gotten pretty good, so check them out.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • zoltanozoltano Member Posts: 6
    I am in the process of buying an '07 Escape Hybrid. The current $2,500 Customer Cash promotion will expire after a week (on 02/28). So what can we expect? Will Ford extend the promotion, maybe even raise the amount, or will the promotion just disappear? (In other words - should I hurry up and buy a car quick??)

$2,500 is a lot of money...
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I wouldn't worry. These machines haven't been able to move without heavy incentives for over 3 years. Reading the last 20 posts show people getting up to $7200 off MSRP for the $26000 or so Mazda Tribute, with about $1000 less off on the Escape. (not sure about this, but one reason you might want to check out a tribute with better factory warranty and possibly other stuff. Even though there are far fewer mazda dealers.) The 7200 off was about the same for late model year 05's back then also.

Rotsa Ruck

--jjf
  • captain_archercaptain_archer Member Posts: 5
    I am in the market for a new 2008 Escape XLT and I know they *just* came out. I want to see if this deal makes sense or if I need to wait. I want the car somewhat loaded but the way I want it configured, it will have to be ordered.

Options:
    * Cargo Package (retractable cover, lockable storage, roof rack, wet trunk)
    * Convenience Package (dual illuminated visors, compass, electrochromatic mirror, keyless entry pad, message center, outside air temp, overhead console)
    * Class II Trailer Towing Pkg
    * Navigation System w/ AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer, 7 speakers, subwoofer
    * Sun & Sound Package: Power Moonroof & Sirius radio
    * Integrated Side Step Bars
    * Cargo Area Protector
    * Cloth seats

The MSRP on the website for this configuration in my area is $28900 and the internet price is the Friends & Family price of $27000. No rebates/incentives yet, but there's some special APRs out there.

It's exactly what I'm looking for, but the price seems high compared with the numbers mentioned here - but I've noticed the people here tend to prefer much more stripped models. Is this worth that price? Should I move on it now, especially since I'm not in an emergency where I need it immediately? Should I wait for incentives? Will the incentives apply to special orders?
    Scratch that - I took a test drive of the Escape and the engine was horribly trashy! I know the Tribute is its mechanical twin, but now I'm sold on the Tribute. The problem there is, I want the same options but the Tribute (inexplicably!!!) doesn't have Navigation as an option.

What should I do?
    Try getting an aftermarket navi and research this. Since only about 15% of the vehicles out there will be loaded, sometimes $1500 more on the sticker price (or whatever for navi) really turns out to be $2000 or more once you start getting bids. The dealers may not deal as well on them as they are fewer in supply.

I've seen navis at best buy in the $300-$500 range so (and they seem to be more flexible than factory models) you want about $7000 off an 07 Tribute. Get 7 - 10 bids the last week of the month and see what you can work out.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    the tribby has the same powertrain as the escape. i know you can hear the engine in an escape, but that does not bother me. get a hybrid if you don't want to hear any motor noise. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    What is the difference between the Escape and the Tribute? Is it just cosmetics and badges, or is there a difference in the suspension tuning, etc?
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    In the past, the Tribute had a tighter suspension, a little firmer ride but better handling.

For the new 2008's, it's too early for any road tests.
    The Escape had a terrible ride, the Tribute lacks a navigation system, so I'm settling on the Mariner. Besides, I can't see the resale value of the Tribute being any higher than that of the Escape and Mariner. Plus, I like the Mariner's features more, particularly the interior color scheme.

I'm thinking about waiting until later in the year, since these cars seem to need heavy incentives to move. Problem is, the dealers probably won't be stocking the model and options I'm looking for, so I doubt I'll qualify for the incentives anyway.

It's coming up to about $30,000, which I expect to be down around $28,000 after X-Plan pricing. Seems high for a compact SUV, and an American one at that!

Thoughts?
    I don't really understand why the Mariner would be that different from the others. Tribute-escape sell for 6-7k off MSRP. Mariner should be similar.

The Chevy Trailblazer sells for 8-10k off MSRP. Only 20mpg though, but much more powerful and more space. Try it out. Only say that because I'm looking at the Tribute and others also.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    Tribute-escape sell for 6-7k off MSRP.
    ----------------------------------------

I don't know where you got that figure. The Ford dealer I talked to wouldn't go below 0% financing and the $500 rebate.

We bought a Mariner. A 26k Premier model with $2200 off on the D Plan and another $1150 rebate. And O% financing.
    If thats 0% financing for 5 years thats worth about 3000 right there. It appears you got more than 6k off your Mariner. If that $2200 is off invoice and not msrp you got even more.

--jjf

We bought a Mariner. A 26k Premier model with $2200 off on the D Plan and another $1150 rebate. And O% financing.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    Yes, 0% for 5 years. The incentive at the time was $3000 rebate OR 0% financing. Thanks to the D Plan and an additonal $1150 rebate that I didn't expect, we got $3350 off list and 0%.

But the Ford dealer I talked to only offered the $3000 rebate or 0% financing with a $500 rebate. He said if Mercury offered an $1150 rebate, take the deal. And I did. :)
  • dreamchaser321dreamchaser321 Member Posts: 24
    Hi -
    What was the out the door price (everything including tax, license, etc) for your Mariner? What it the 2008 model? I'm deciding between the 2008 Ford Escape and 2008 Mercury Mariner. Thanks for you help!
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    My wife test drove an 05 Escape and fell in love with it, but more so with a loaded 05 Mariner Premier. I drove the same Escape, Mariner and also the 04 Tribute. I was less impressed with the ride of the Tribute. I like the Mariner over the Escape and in last place was the Tribute. Just could not come to trade-in and price terms with the price on the Mariner so we walked away. The wife was disappointed, but was not going to concede to the $3k trade in on our 00 Village Estate.
  • bzribeebzribee Member Posts: 27
    A local (San Diego) dealership is selling 3 base manual models at 13,800 plus taxes, etc. They're breaking this down as 17,200 minus $3500 rebate. There are no extras on the car.

While I know this is a very good price, I haven't finished looking around at the Tribute, Mariner or a few other cars. Still, I do like the Escape. Does anyone have any advice for me? There are a few extras I'd like, but I can get them aftermarket.

Also, I was told that all CD players now come wired (but not hooked up) for the MP3 plug-in, and that it'll just cost me $100 to have someone complete the circuit (my words)? Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Thanks for any help...
  • scatanscatan Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a new '07 Escape in Florida for 13,999 after rebates. The stereo plays mp3 cds, if that is what you are asking. So far I have been very pleased with the Escape and the deal. True, unless you need a moonroof, most accessories can be purchased aftermarket.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    We were all excited to potentially lease a 2008 Mariner Premier. Then we drove it! Here are my issues:

1. Went back to DRUM brakes on the rear to save money. Who has drum brakes any more?

2. Noisy as heck.

3. No handles to hold onto while driving or getting in/out.

4. The "carpet" was some cheap composite fiber stuff.

There is no comparision to Honda CRV which did everything better, gets better mpg, and holds it's value MUCH better. I've always been a Ford guy but I can see why Ford is in the trouble that they are in.
    I checked out the 08 escape and if the Mariner is similar, see what you mean. The cheapness of the interior,etc is a step backward from the 07.

If however it sells 6000-7000 off MSRP, (not uncommon for the 07s) it holds its value OK and is competitive with the CRV.

I'm disappointed too.

--jjf

We were all excited to potentially lease a 2008 Mariner Premier. Then we drove it! Here are my issues:

1. Went back to DRUM brakes on the rear to save money. Who has drum brakes any more?

2. Noisy as heck.

3. No handles to hold onto while driving or getting in/out.

4. The "carpet" was some cheap composite fiber stuff.

There is no comparision to Honda CRV which did everything better, gets better mpg, and holds it's value MUCH better. I've always been a Ford guy but I can see why Ford is in the trouble that they are in.
  • sxl88sxl88 Member Posts: 2
    Hi scatan,

I am in Florida looking for a new '07 Escape, too. Could you pls tell us the information on the dealership? Thanks.
    :) I purchased it at Suncoast Ford in Port Richey. I had to drive over from Orlando to get it. I dealt with Jack Rivers, who is on their internet sales team. This was one of two Escapes that they were advertising, and I expected that when I got there, they would say "oh, that one has been sold", but no games. It was a great buying experience.

2007 Escape XLS 4cyl 5sp man.
  • sxl88sxl88 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot! I am in Gainesville, will try to see if I can get the deal.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I just put a deposit on a 2008 XLT. So far, my experience has been the best I've ever had with a dealership. They actually talked me out of buying something I didn't need/want, and came up with ways to save me money. This was at Bell Ford in Colonia, NJ. Delivery is expected in 5-6 weeks, so I'll report back on how that goes.
  • viss1viss1 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious how the $13,999 price was arrived at. I see a $3500 rebate plus $500 manufacturer to dealer cash. Invoice should be $18,965. So invoice minus all rebates/incentives should be $14,965. Where did the other $1K come from? Thanks.
  • wc1wc1 Member Posts: 11
    2008 Mariner Hybrid 2WD

Leather package $695
    Moon and Tune $995
    Audiophile stereo system $395

MSRP $28,515
    Edmunds TMV $28,303
    My price $27,800. Includes doc fee. Before $500 rebate. Does not include tax, license, title.

Beaman Lincoln-Mercury, Nashville, TN. Good deal or not?
    This was a loss leader to get people into the showroom. They had two of these at the time. It was just sold at $13,999 plus TTL with dealer retaining all rebates.
  • jlupijlupi Member Posts: 3
    mariner sticker of 27,600 leased for 354/mo 340dn with NY DMV inc. includes taxes and $330 last payment on jeep lease
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello All,

I have an offer of 2008 Tribute i sport five-speed for $14,999 (plus TT&L) on the table. This is a titanium gray i sport with optional roof rack with $19,820 MSRP. Is this is a good deal?

Also, why did 2008 Tribute/Escape score so poorly on NTHSA?
    If the mechanisms are mostly carryover from 2007, it should do much better than 3 stars for driver on frontal crash test.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Tribute and Ford escape have always sold about 6-7000 off MSRP 4-5 months after the new models are out. In my opinion, the interior of the 08's are a definite step backward in quality from the previous years. I want $6000 off now. Don't know about the testing, but with slow sales of other models it seems Ford screwed the pooch with this one too.

--jjf

Hello All,

I have an offer of 2008 Tribute i sport five-speed for $14,999 (plus TT&L) on the table. This is a titanium gray i sport with optional roof rack with $19,820 MSRP. Is this is a good deal?

Also, why did 2008 Tribute/Escape score so poorly on NTHSA?
    If the mechanisms are mostly carryover from 2007, it should do much better than 3 stars for driver on frontal crash test.

Any input would be appreciated.
    A local dealer is offering a manual '08 for 16,507 but told me I can only have that price if I finance through Ford. Hmmmm. Can't find THAT disclaimer anywhere. Anyone ever hear of this? I have to check a bit more...

Also, I read that the engine sits higher in the '08. As a short person I'm concerned it'll curb my visibility. Has any short person driven this car?

I'll go check it out tonight.
    That appears to be his opening or final offer. He can offer MSRP+$10000+12% financing if he wishes. Find competing offers.

--jjf

A local dealer is offering a manual '08 for 16,507 but told me I can only have that price if I finance through Ford. Hmmmm. Can't find THAT disclaimer anywhere. Anyone ever hear of this? I have to check a bit more...

Also, I read that the engine sits higher in the '08. As a short person I'm concerned it'll curb my visibility. Has any short person driven this car?

I'll go check it out tonight.
    I'm trying hard to decide what to do. I've got that REALLY good price on the '08 in a color I don't like. The test drive was fine except for a bit of a wobble I noticed as I changed lanes, so I'm going to drive it again. I like the car but if, as is mentioned elsewhere, Ford always keeps rebates at 5-6000 after a few months, maybe there's no rush to buy.

What to do, what to do. Oh, the price is $16,500 for a manual base model...I'd love some advice from all y'all. I don't have to buy now, but the day will come (my car is 252,000 miles).

Is this a price I can't refuse?
    I would definitely check for a similar vehicle at Mazda dealership. I have an offer of $14,999 plus TT&L for a '08 Mazda Tribute i Sport five speed(same thing as Ford Escape XLS 5-speed). There is $1,500 rebate from Mazda, and there's an ADDITIONAL $500 Off online coupon on Mazda Website.
    Tribute is exactly identical to Escape, but has 16" alloy wheels and foglights standard on even the basic five-speed model. I think it's a much better value, and might help with resale value tad bit with import logo on its hood.

Best of luck.
    Great advice. Thank you. I have been comparing the Escape Triplets but offers weren't as good. I didn't know about the coupon, either. Would you mind saying what city you're in, and if it's near San Diego, what dealership?
    I'm in Texas. When you go to www.mazdausa.com, go to "search inventory" section. Click in Mazda Tribute and your zipcode to search for inventory, then you'll see "to get additional savings on your Tribute-click here" button. Click on that bar, and they will send you an additional $500 off MSRP coupon for Tribute ONLY (via e-mail). You do have to register your address & e-mail though. So, there's $1,500 rebate and $500 online coupon there-I'd say go invoice minus $2,000, then you got a Mazda Tribute for about $4,000 off the MSRP!

Good Luck, and don't forget that coupon is only good until 7/31/07.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    My dealership also had a $1,000 Tribute loyalty rebate on top of the $1,500 and $500 rebates mentioned above. I found that out on Friday night and went in Saturday morning to trade in my '05 Tribute on a fully loaded '08 Grand Touring. If you're lucky enough to have a Tribute now and want to trade it in, it's a nice deal. The dealer was Wanye Mazda in Wayne, NJ. Don't know if it's a nationwide thing or not.
    BTW, I picked up the '08 Tribute Grand Touring for $1376 below sticker, plus the $3,000 in rebates, for a total of $4376 below sticker. PLUS they gave me what I owed on the '05 Tribute trade in with no haggling which was a pleasant surprise to me. All this was the only reason I didn't hold out for Mercury Mariner which I wanted a little more than the Tribute.

Wayne Mazda in New Jersey is a very nice dealer to do business with. I've now bought my last two Tributes there and would do it again.
    I was able to get a better price on the tribute than the mariner (that I got) or an escape. I just could not get past the yellowish interior and gloss black console. :surprise:
    Tribute is exactly identical to Escape, but has 16" alloy wheels and foglights standard on even the basic five-speed model. I think it's a much better value, and might help with resale value tad bit with import logo on its hood. >>>>>>

except for the yellowiss interior and floss black interior finish :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

all a mater of tast. but the interiors LOOK compleatly diff
    I didn't notice the yellowish tint to the tribute interior. I'm so used to having monotone interiors (all black or all grey) that I'm psyched to have a multi-color interior now. The dash, steering wheel, and doors are cream colored (I guess maybe for some this is "yellowish"), the seats and dash inserts are a darker mushroom color, and of course the gloss black console and door armrests that I think look great. It all gives it a more upscale feel to me.

What bothers me about the Tribute are the little things that are missing but that the Mariner and probably Escape have, like fuel economy calculator and outside temperature indicator, keypads on the doors, turning indicators on the sides, radio controls on the steering wheel, and no built in satellite radio. I don't really NEED any of these things but it would be nice to have them and there's no reason they couldn't have been included in the Mazda version since they're in the Ford and Mercury versions.

Oh, and what's up with leather only on the top seating surfaces and not on the backs or sides of the seats? We're paying the same for the leather option as we would on other brands but getting it on less than half of the seat.

Other than that, I'm happy with the '08 Tribute so far.
  • erinnzoomserinnzooms Member Posts: 4
    Hi all!

I am so excited to be part of this forum! I love my new to me Tribute. I got it at Weisleder Ford in Bricktown, NJ. I had a very good experience there, though being a female alone, I did have to stand my ground on financial issues, and fake a walk-out once. :) But, I think the haggling was part of the fun. Thanks to all who read, and know that reading the posts here from various threads as part of my research, helped me make the decision.

ErinnZooms :D
    I have kinda of decided on the Escape but looked at a Tribute yesterday. I noticed the 2nd row seats didn't fold completely flat. I know the older Escapes did, but I"m mnot sure about the '08s--Does anyone know?

Also, the Vibe and the Kias all seem to have a front passenger seat that folds completely flat and makes for a nice "table". Does the '08 Escape have that?

Thanks for any help. I hope to buy this weekend, if there's a good, manual loss leader...
    I have an '08 Escape on order, and I recall that the back seats fold two different ways. If you just fold them forward, they don't fold flat. If you remove the headrests and flip the seat cushion over, then fold the seat back down, they are flat. So getting them flat requires a little more planning and effort, and you need to stow those headrests somewhere, but it can be done, I think.

I'm looking forward to taking delivery of my new Escape so I can report back on the total buying experience. So far, I have no complaints.

Ladyblue :shades:
    My '08 Tribute rear seats fold completely flat, exactly like my old '05 Tribute seats did. You have to remove the headrests and fold forward the flat part of the seat first before folding down the seat back.
    I picked up my new Vista Blue '08 Escape last night. I haven't had time yet to go over all the buttons and knobs, but I'll get to it. Drives nice and is very comfortable.

So far I've only found one thing wrong. The inside trim around the sunroof wasn't installed properly and the edge of the headliner wasn't tucked under. It wasn't hard to slip my fingernail under the trim and pop the headliner edge in place, but it's a dumb mistake for quality control to miss.

Also, I find it odd that the owner's manual packet doesn't fit into the glove compartment. Where the heck am I supposed to keep it?

The incentives went down between the time I ordered and the time I took delivery, so my monthly payment is a few dollars more than promised, but not much.

Overall, not a bad experience. I have to go back next week to get a remote starter installed, since they didn't have time to do it last night. Meanwhile, I have to keep reading my owner's manual to find out how everything works.

Ladyblue :)
  • tpi52tpi52 Member Posts: 5
    first of all, congrats. on your purchase - looks like there is going to be an Escape in my daughter's future so ...would you like to share with us the deal you finally struck on yours? what is your trim line?
    and regarding the owner's manual....either a very Big mnual, or a very Tiny glovbox - I agree, it seems odd - thanks for any info that you can share.
    Thank you. So far (two days) it's fun to drive and I'm liking it. The only thing I miss is the turbo I had on my PT Cruiser. Even the V6 3.0 engine of the Escape doesn't compare to the kick of that Cruiser turbo.

The manual packet isn't all that big, so it must be an especially small glove box.

I got the XLT AWD, with most of the bells and whistles:
    Satellite radio
    Navigation system
    Sunroof
    17" chrome wheels
    Leather package
    Tow package

Probably other stuff I can't think of right now. I ordered mine and got it for $200 over invoice. Since I didn't have much to put down and money is tight right now (kid in college), I opted to lease for 3 years at 10,500 miles per year, even though I know I'll go way over the mileage. I plan to buy it at lease end. This kept my monthly payments low for these next few college-payment years.

They did try to sell me the extended warranty, but I'll hold off and reassess that question when it gets closer to lease-end. I know it costs more if you wait, but again, trying to keep to a budget right now.

Ladyblue ;)
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone know where in the sacramento region (willing to travel 50 mile radius) can I get a 2008 Mazda Tribute i, touring edition, automatic, 2 wheel for a low price? Also, I want to know whats the lowest price anyone has bought this model for? Thanks. Need to buy this weekend.
  • miamispringermiamispringer Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if buying a 2004 Ford Escape in very good condition with 65,000 miles for $7,000 a good deal. I think it is but I just want to see what you guys think. Thank you.