Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Comments

• mseningenmseningen Member Posts: 27
    I'm looking at picking up a 2003-2005 low mileage v6 Sebring convertible.
    I've been trying to figure out what the major differences between the
    different submodels?
    LX
    LXI
    GTC
    Touring
    Limited

thanks,

m
    Is there a way factory or aftermarket to turn off the passenger airbags?

thanks,

m
  • gvw073gvw073 Member Posts: 2
    LOVE my 2000 JXI w/85k - thinking about getting new one...'05, there are so many incentives right now w/Chrysler - Has anyone had amy problems w/05?(besides the noisy brakes LOL! Just turn up the stereo!!) - BTW, 2000 is a great car - I'm just looking to upgrade! :)
  • culbrzculbrz Member Posts: 1
    I drive a1998 Limited Convertible Sebring.
  • migashmigash Member Posts: 3
    i was leaving work and started to accelterate. then all of a sudden i herd a hallow thud sound (sounded like a pair of steel toed boots kicking something) fallowed by the sound of something like a whole lot of gravel in my wheel well (no i wasnt driveing on gravel).

then my battery light turned on

i drove home like normal with no "problems" save the light.

my car still always starts, however after about 300-400 yards the light comes back on.

other things wrong with the car... the rpm gage, and the mileage keep turring on and off randomly.

someitmes they stay on for a week
    sometimes they turn on ater i "get going"
    sometimes they just dont turn on at all.

other then that What could be up with my car?
  • migashmigash Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE: my car died

while i was driving one by one things turnd off on my car.. till i couldnt even get the emergancy lights to work. its dead in the water now :cry:
  • pcboatspcboats Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Chrysler Sebring Convert. I need to replace the rear view mirror. Also, I want to replace the headlight covers (mine are starting to turn yellow). Anyone have any suggestions where i can go for these parts without having to go to a Chrysler/dodge dealer?

Thanks,

Peter
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Migash, you might also want to post in the Chrysler Sebring Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion to see if anyone there has had similar problems.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• vagirl78vagirl78 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone help me please. My car will start but once i take my foot off of the gas it turns off. What is causing this? My lights work fine and everything else. Thanks for your help!
    Hi, vagirl78,

Two discussions where you might find the answer to your problem:

1. Chrysler Sebring Owners: Problems & Solutions

2. Got a Quick, Technical Question?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 99jxiowner99jxiowner Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone knew what was the recomended mileage for a tune up on a 1999 chrysler sebring jxi convertible? and i also need to know what they will replace/tune, and how much would it be with mechanics fee...thanks!!!
  • gatorgrlygatorgrly Member Posts: 3
    Bought my 2000 Sebring Convertible in October 2001. The top was fine. Started to lift around the back window within 6 months. Took it to dealer and they attempted to reglue but it didn't take as the day temperature was 'under 60 degrees'. The dealer said this was a problem they have had before and gave me a wholesale convertible repairman. The top continues to unravel. I have heard of some back windows blowing out during driving due to this problem. There was a news piece about this. Does anyone else have this problem or know if a recall has occured?
  • talmadgetalmadge Member Posts: 3
    I had finally had enough of this car. It had been in the shop 7 times for different things before it was out of warranty. Needless to say I spent more money after warranty on little things. I for sure got the Monday and or Friday Car. I just got rid of it last week for a Toyota Solara conv. I am crossing my fingers and I hope that no one else owning a Sebring Conv. has had the kind of problems I had. :cry:
  • talmadgetalmadge Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2001 with the same problem dash light and radio lights flickering. Turned out to be the headlight switch. The dealer replaced it and a month later it did it agian. They replace the headlight switch for the second time and problem went away.
  • dziadedziade Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 that had the same problem. 165.00 each Dealer price. I went to the hardware store, got 150 and 320 grit wet and dry sandpaper and sanded down 150 first then 320 till all that yellow came off . Then took a buffing wheel attached to my drill , and with some polishing wax buffed them till they were new again. Good luck :)
  • htoffhtoff Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem. Have you gotten any useful responses.
  • cbaxtercbaxter Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sebring with the same exact problem-the top is wearing in 4 spots-2 on the top sides and 2 on the sides of the rear window. you can see the 2 places on the rear black trim where the top is rubbing. I had the first top replaced about 1 year ago-it also wore through in 2 of the places. My current top is worn in the same 4 places and has worn right through in the top 2. The dealer just refused to replace it again-said the rep told them it is "normal wear". car has 24,000 miles on it. I am getting ready to fight Chrysler!
  • rick28rick28 Member Posts: 1
    i have a sebring convertible 1996 and i was wondering can i use 1996 sebring parts on it
  • gatorgrlygatorgrly Member Posts: 3
    My convertible top is a vinyl top. I am waiting on a reply from the consumer advocate for a local tv station in Tampa and when I find out if there is a recall I will post on the board.
  • dondonldondonl Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at renting a Sebring convertible for a vacation and wanted to get some information. It seems like most rental companies indicate the Sebring as the typical model for convertibles. I currently havea reservation with Alamo.

My question is about safety. I will be traveling with my wife and our 2-yr. old son. Does the Sebring have LATCH anchors in the rear seats? Will I have any problems fitting a car seat in the back? Is this a bad idea, and should I just rent a regular sedan?

My son is currently in a phase of being fascinated by convertibles, so I thought this might be fun for him. We'll be in LA/San Diego, so I think weather should not be a problem.
    Unless your son has experienced the wind beating from a convertible -- I wouldn't
    think this to be a wise choice.

We test drove a Sebring the other day and my 5yr old which loves convertibles
    absolutely hated it. -- And I never went over 45!

mike
  • alexa5alexa5 Member Posts: 1
    I need some help. I have a 2000 Sebring convertible, which I absolutely love. I have never had any problems with it at all even when I took a road trip from Georgia to Idaho and back last summer.

Recently I noticed that the edges of the top have started to separate at the bottom part of my back window. It almost looks like the adhesive or whatever is used to attach the window to the top is no longer working. It started with about an inch on each side of the bottom part of the window--now it is up to 6 inches. Is replacing the back window or the entire top the only options I have? Please help!
  • dtaylor1dtaylor1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. My daughter's 2000 sebring has a rear window separating as well. We'll give your suggestion a try. Beats the $600 my daughter was quoted!
  • patarapatara Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing cracks on surface over linkage on both sides. Warranty rep says will not cover unless is coming from inside out instead of my current outside in scenario.
    Any luck with your warranty rep?

GCK
  • sjngradysjngrady Member Posts: 4
    I ahve a 2002 LXI. The car shakes at 25 MPH and up. I have had new tires put on and a four wheel alignment. The shake is still there. Any ideas?
    If you post about your problems in the Chrysler Sebring Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion, you might run into other owners who have had the same problem and have solved it.

What you need to try is to find a place which does balancing with the wheel on the car.

I had a 300ZTT that had a nasty shake two it. Couldn't get it solved until
    I had it balanced on the car -- then it ran smooth as can be.

cost wasn't that much more.

m.
  • sebring04sebring04 Member Posts: 1
    just want to let you know that you will not have a problem with the car seat it will fit in the back. just remember that if you have one with the bar that gose over your sons head and buckles between his legs , that you keep the bar down on the seat when you lower the top it can become sandwiched between the top and break the rear window . other than that it is a super fun car to drive and i am sure you and your family will enjoy it . i own a 2004 sebring convertable and my 5 year old duaghter loves it!!!!
  • kjbyte68kjbyte68 Member Posts: 1
    Hi... proud owner of a 2000 JXI :blush: as of this past March. I need some advice on how to clean and care for the top. There are some grey/black marks on the canvas (appear to be where the folds are when the top is down) and just normal wear. I would like to know if there is a product out there that can remove them? Thanks for any help! ~kjbyte68
  • seal02seal02 Member Posts: 1
    I own a ' 98 JXI I also am having a problem with the motor and pump. Seems to get about a third of the way up then just stays in that spot until you give it some human intervention. Any ideas on what needs to be done? Pump seal, filled, replaced?

Thank you
  • ohldepharteohldepharte Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Limited. Sort of the same problem. If top is down for two days or more, it will go part way up, and then the motor cuts out. Have to flip switch to top down position and run for a second and then flip to raise top position. Works fine then. Dealer has replaced top motor and pump assembly, switch and one of the two hydraulic cylinders that raises the top. Still doing it, so I guess we'll replace the other cylinder.
  • hallidayhalliday Member Posts: 2
    I can't find that meesage either, but here's what I did: I called my friend who has always owned at least one convertible (and parks them in his front yard with the hoods up when he throws parties). He sent me to the auto parts store to get some epoxy or somesuch glue that says it is strong as hell and sticks to glass and vinyl. (There were a lot of choices). He just glued the window to the vinyl, probably just like they did at the factory. We stood around for a half hour or so, then I drove home. It stayed solid as a rock for over a year, even after I broke the window last week. (Doh!) The shards along the bottom are stuck on there for good.

Gary
  • meanst1meanst1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey it's meanst1. New to the site. New proud owner of 2000 JXI as of 2 days. Top is in good shape but I did notice some seams tearing and the back window adhesive coming loose. Did you get a response on your question concerning care for the top? It's my first convertible and I want to take good care of it.

Thx
  • nova_craftnova_craft Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a (barely) used 2004 Limited Convertible. After reading the manual, I have a few questions, and I'm wondering if you folks can give me a hand with them...

When I turn on the fog lights, should a light come up on the Dash? Mine doesn't, and there is no light in the bulb check for it either.

Similar to the fog lights, there is no dash light for the Traction control. That really matters to me (canadian winters, in a snowbelt). Should I be seeing a light come on either when the traction control is engaged or disengaged or when it is activated? According to the slesman the light comes on when the traction control is turned off, but I can't get it to.

Lastly, the salesman advised to treat all the rubber gaskets around the convertible top and around the windows and doors with a silicon lubricant, spray stuff to keep them water tight, but advised that I buy aftermarket rather than pay the Mopar prices for the same stuff. Does anyone have a brand name they recommend?

Thanks for your help,
    Chris :P
  • daroebuckdaroebuck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Sebring Convertible and the same thing is happening. The stitching around the back window started to come loose. I planned on gluing it back but noticed it was starting in other areas as well. Now it is too much to just glue. It is also coming loose above the windows on both sides. Any suggestions - are there guys who will redo the stitching on convertibles?
  • phillyrubephillyrube Member Posts: 5
    Hi, posted to this forum before, seems people who own these cars are not really enthusiasts. I have a Dodge pickup, post to their forums with a problem, and get 1 dozen responses. Gonna try my problem again.
    Bought a used and babied 98 Limited, and love the car. It is used for back and forth to work since my Dodge Ram 2500 V10 is a bit of a gas hog (BIT????). Car has had no problems as I've seen here, and my only criticism is the poor headlights. :mad: These are like brand new, and I don't feel safe driving the car at night with them. Replaced the bulbs with Silverstars, to no effect. The car had a busted foglight, so I pulled them and replaced them with some 55w H-3s. Now, I run with the high beams on, and if it gets dark, I switch to foglights/low beams. Exact opposite of nthe way it should be. High beams don't light s%$#!! No one makes after market headlights either. Dealer says that's the nature of the beast. Otherwise, great car, 27 mpg highway running 75. Gotta understand, I'm a biker, so this is just a cage to drive when the weather is crap. But I would at least like to see the road more than 10 feet in front of me.
    OK sheeples, how about a response?????
  • acguy1acguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have tried an epoxy from the auto parts store. It didnt hold at all.There were several different types of epoxy and I chose the one that specifically reads that it bonds glass and vinyl....I must be missing something,I probably picked one that bonds glass to glass or vinyl to vinyl.
    My question is ..Do you have the brand name of the adhesive which worked on the rear glass window and bonded it to the vinyl top?
  • cynder7cynder7 Member Posts: 7
    update re: 2.7 engine that seized 04: Replaced by Jasper 2.7 -The Jasper 2.7 went as well barely a year later with 3,000 oil changes. I will NEVER buy Chrysler again, and putting a bumper sticker to that effect if I ever get my car back. I am now looking at Toyota Solara.
  • wesley07wesley07 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 sebring and the heater only blows hot when i am driving the car. It blows cold when idleling? any suggestions?
  • imustbecrazy1imustbecrazy1 Member Posts: 1
    Check the coolant level.
  • momoney4umomoney4u Member Posts: 1
    Last week I got that call from my daughter coming home from college,in her 96 sebring convertible. Daddy I was driving on the highway, suddenly my car jumped into low gear, the tac revved to 6000rpm engine smoked ,piston rod blew out from the bottom of the oil pan. Is this daddy's problem now ?
    Feeling a little sloppy in the corners and rough
    road, time to replace shocks/struts.

any recomendations? monroe sensamatics seem to
    be what I find as a match at most places.

thanks,

m
  • karyl2karyl2 Member Posts: 2
    I can only speak for myself but this car has been a headache from the word go! :mad:
  • iwantws6iwantws6 Member Posts: 26
    What octane should I use for a 96 JX convertible?
  • kaplan2kaplan2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello.
    1.I am looking for a copy of original warranty for 2000 Chrysler Sebring Convertible for research into after market warranty. I need to know what was covered to see if it makes sense to buy additional coverage which of course only covers those original items.
    2. My lower glass has separated from the conv. top in back. Interior and exterior. Have read all previous comments at this site. Does anyone know the name brand of adhesive that is most probably going to work?
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    Is it possible to get 2 x 32" suitcases (10" to 12" high) in the empty trunk?
    Reg. Frank R.
  • loewenthalloewenthal Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 96 model and went through this. There are two flasher units on your car. In my case, the one in the trunk (pass side wheelwell) turned out to be bad. Cost is about $40 at the dealership. You may have the same problem.
  • clyleclyle Member Posts: 1
    my 98 convertable seatbelts have locked up on both front seats, from what I can gather it's possibly related to a sensor, any quick fixes for this or is it a dealer (megabucks) problem.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I have a 2000 Mustang V6 convertible as a "fun" car mainly for evening drives in the summer and Mustang car shows since it is super detailed with low mileage. Actually it is a terrible car -I would hate to have one as my only car. It is hard to get in and out of, it is noisy, and its plastic interior looks like it was snapped together. It IS a Mustang though so it is supported by Ford and enthusiast groups. I may want to dump the whole Mustang idea and get a more comfortable convertible. The Sebring seems more like a normal car. What year would be the best to get - i.e. when did major improvements happen between say 2000 and 2004? This would still be a fun car and wouldn't be a daily driver which is probably good considering the comments about problems on this Forum. CU really panned the Sebring in 2005 -shakes, poor ride, etc. This isn't agreed to by Edmunds in its road tests of the 2001 or any other tests I've read. How IS the ride? Looking forward to hearing from owners.
  • neonitisneonitis Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 Sebring Touring convertible with V6-2.7L motor with 28800 miles and has leather/suede seats,great cd/stereo. The vert works great and what a chick magnet!Oh the ride is nice allright.The cowling or dash unit shake due to nonrigidness of convertible when running over potholes, bumps.Where as the sedan has all that metal to brace everything better.The car runs smooth but with all the hoopla of "oil sludge damage" leading to catastrophic motor failure has got me so stressed out I don't know what to do.I'm changing oil every 3000 miles with synthetic and with K&N oil filter, but i get a bad feeling it may be a lost cause.There have been "numerous" cases of the so called "oil sludge motor failures" and Chrysler is not backing up the warranty even tho customers are "religiously" changing oil per service manual.I've added my name to the 3 class action lawsuits now pending in court against Chrysler.To read about all of the people all over the USA, and how their Sebrings would just quit on the road while running 50-60mph and find out the motor siezed due to "poor customer maintenance".I don't know dude, but i'd "seriously" be "not thinking of getting a Chrysler Sebring".All of a sudden that "Mustang plastics" is a minor blemish compared with the Sebring. Don't take my word for it, google the sebring, read "all" the news here and on several other forums.You "will" be surprised.I hope i answered your question.People will say "all cars" have problems and i will agree with them.I have had several cars in my 50 years of life and have done my share of work on them.But they haven't read all there is that has been happening to these Chrysler cars.It seems it could be the Quality Control of the motors as they are being made, in that the aluminum chafe, or flakes are not purged from the motor as it goes down the assemby line, so when as a finished product you put oil in, the aluminum flakes get washed into the oil, then transferred thru out the motor bearings, etc. causing the seizure.But for Chrysler not to back their products is outright criminal fraud.Good luck to us Chrysler Sebring owners!!!