Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well it's a nice thing to have anyway and it might keep the boot cover in place. Do they really use velcro? Doesn't sound like the best choice of materials for that function--if you recall, you "tug" velcro to loosen it, just like---yes, the wind!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Yep my car has velcro on the panels for the boot to attach to. There are tabs on the boot that stick out as well I believe that tuck in somewhere to also try to hold it in place.

The windstop is a great accessory by all accounts for those who ride a lot on the highway and for keeping the chills away on cool nights and early/late in the top down season. I'll probably get one this fall despite its ~$300 Canadian price tag.
  • southerngalsoutherngal Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had a problem with both the gas gauge and the indicator for miles before filling up being totally inaccurate after the car has been sitting in the sun? After driving it for about fifteen minutes, all returns to normal. We recently bought a 2004 Sebring Limited for my husband and love it, but he swears this happens. The three times he has allowed me to take it to work I haven't had a problem but I park in a deck so it is shaded. I told him to call the dealer but he asked that I inquire on Town Hall from other owners just to see if he is getting senile.
  • kenitzerkenitzer Member Posts: 19
    Purchased a new 2004 Sapphire Blue over Sandlewood Sebring Conv. Touring model, loaded with everything except ABS Traction Control. I have been looking at convertibles for a while, with my short list being the Sebring, 2004 Toyota Solara Conv. and 2001 Saab 9-3 Conv. So far I am quite happy with my choice. We have had good luck with Chrysler/Dodge products in the past, which was certainly a factor that influenced my decision. Also, the current rebates make a the 2004 Sebring Conv. an attractive choice. I was able to make a deal for about $300 below dealer invoice. We'll see how things go from here.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    Well, gas does expand when in the sun. I don't know exactly how Chrsyler set up the guages and sensors, but it's not inconceivable that the effects of the sun cause the guage to read high.

Just ask the dealer the next time you have it in.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Congrats and enjoy the car!
    I guess I should have been more specific about the error on the gas gauge and the reading for miles before needing a fill-up. The gauge reads nearly empty and the miles show maybe 20. This gradually increases as you drive it once it hasn't been sitting in the sun. I agree with you, stickguy. My husband just needs to ask the dealer about it.

Great looking car, kenitzer. My hubby originally thought he wanted the sapphire but we ended up with the red. He actually spent an hour trying to decide between the sapphire, silver or red and finally went with his heart. He has always wanted a red convertible and it is sharp. But your sapphire is very, very cool.
  • nanaabnanaab Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 sebring convertable with 34,000 miles. The defogger contact points attached to the rear window have broken off four times( twice on each side)but were able to be soldered back. Has anyone else had this type of problem? If so, what were the results? What was the feedback by the mechanic (if any)?
  • bailey1bailey1 Member Posts: 6
    buy the sebring convertible or the Solara SLE? I really dig the look of the Sebring and the Limited has everything I want in it (but to be fair, so does the Solara). My biggest concern is the safety rating. While I realize that 3 stars doesn't make it a death-trap, I have short people (kids) to consider. If it were just myself, I'd probably throw caution to the wind, but those days are over.
    Have you driven them both? That may push you further in the direction of the Solara. I like my 02 Sebring Limited but I realize the Solara edges it out quite easily in safety, interior quality and powertrain. Its also more expensive however and I don't like the exterior. My next vert may be the upcoming Pontiac g6.
  • bailey1bailey1 Member Posts: 6
    I have driven them both - the SLE on a 20 minute test drive and the Limited on a two day rental to see if I really even liked the whole convertible thing with putting the kids in and taking the kids out...those darned kids again! :)

Anyway, the test with the SLE wasn't that great. I had serious trouble reading the LED on the dash with the top down (I think it's my polarized script sunglasses), the back view was down-right frightening, and then when I went to accelerate onto Central Expressway, it seemed as if the car hesitated before doing the get-up-and-go thing. It wasn't the best impression, although it was a very comfortable ride and the safety record (at least as far as the coupe goes) is practically unbeatable. I would like to give it another run, but they are ten kinds of hard to find right now to test.

I appreciate your time in answering and if you have anything to add re: the Sebring that might make me think twice, please don't hesitate to email me.

Thanks!
    Denise
    Rs2ndwife@hotmail.com
    You might want to go to the Toyota Camry Solara site here at Edmunds.com and check out the comments. There have apparently been a ton of problems that Toyota may or may not have fixed in the '05 model. We never could test drive the Toyota convertible but did the sedan and we weren't impressed with the sedan at all. We did notice some neat features on the Sebring not on the Toyota. It is so easy to get in the back seat of the Sebring because of the seat belt configuration and the track the front seat is on. It is a very quiet convertible and also extremely comfortable. We love our Sebring Limited a lot -- and buying the Limited does seem to make a big difference over the Touring. The only way to tell which one you want is to test drive both. We would not hesitate to take our grandchildren for a spin in our Sebring (whereas we never would take them in our Mustang convertible).
  • cynder7cynder7 Member Posts: 7
    I have had problems with my car since I bought it [although enjoying it in between going to the dealership]...oil was low initially, I was told [oil low from the factory] oil leak; transmission line leak. brake problems 3x-wrote to BBB. Now my engine has seized with 42,000miles. Of course the warranty is 36,000. The dealership does not want to repair it under Powertrain warranty as they claim consumer neglect with my last oil change 12/03 [adding oil in April]. any thoughts? I've written consumer Affairs, etc. BBB [again] Attorney General and FCT yesterday.
    When I was looking at various vehicles I was strongly leaning toward the Solara Conv. Then I looked at and drove the Sebring Touring Conv. and found I really liked it. I preferred the Sebring styling and comfort. For me though the deciding factor was price. Both the Sebring and the Solara started with similar MSRP, but the Solara is so rare, forget about any significant discount, not to mention rebates. I was able to get over $5000 off MSRP with discount and rebates on my 2004 Sebring Touring. Granted, the Sebring depreciates much faster, especially during the first 3-4 years. I always keep my cars at least 5 years, so I am guessing the $5000 or more in savings on "out the door cost" will more than make up for the increased depreciation when it finally is time to sell or trade.

I have had my Sebring since late June 2004 and have been very pleased thus far. I typically get 22-24 mpg with around town commuting and I have recorded 30.5 mpg with strictly Interstate travel. I have had no issues to date with a little over 4000 miles on the clock.

I really wanted to get an Audi A4 3.0 Conv. or a Saab 93 Conv., but with a son entering college next year, I really couldn't justify the additional $13,000-$16,000. Maybe I can move upscale when I get rid of the Sebring, and when my son and daughter have finished school. BTW, my 6'1", 230lbs football player son fits in the back seat of the Sebring just fine, thank you. It's a tough package to beat for the $$$$$.
    8 months without an oil change, it may be tough to win that one.
    How many miles since last oil change? I would continue to work for a solution. I can't understand why the dealer wouldn't go to bat for you. Did you purchase it from that dealer?
    I have also read that is is very prone to sludging, so I don't go over 3,600 miles/3.5 months between oil changes, and I get a flush every other change.
  • cynder7cynder7 Member Posts: 7
    A consumer Advocasy group [whom I spoke to on Friday] updated their site on this topic:

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=37&did=960

asking Chrysler to extend the Warranty and honor the one they have now. there are many problems with this engine
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I had this problem - the solution is a proprietary glue, not solder

they glued mine back on and it's been fine for over a year
  • steved1steved1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering a an 03 or 04 sebring as primary transportation. There seem to be loads of rental return LXis and Tourings out there at great prices.

Most of the cars I've seen have a vynyl top, they don't look nearly as nice as the canvas. How do they hold up? The black appears to fade fairly quickly. Any one with experience?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The vinyl top on my Miata lasted 11 years. Even then it was the plastic windows that cracked to force me to retire it.

I don't necessarily think vinyl is any less durable.

-juice
  • kmckinleykmckinley Member Posts: 9
    My 98 Sebring convertible has been experiencing the common low idle stumble after warm up. I suspect a faulty EGR valve. I've been trying to find a Factory Service Manual for this vehicle but have had no luck.
    Does anyone have a schematic of the 2.5 L engine or FSM they would like to sell?
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    2 local dealers have the same basic used Sebring Convertible LX. One has 15K miles and the other has 22k miles. Both are white with the gold top & tan cloth interior. They listed for the same new. The one with 22k mile is certified 8yr80kmiles and is $465.00 more than the one with less miles. The one that is certified isn't as clean on the inside or out but is very nice. Is the certified with more miles worth the extra $465? Thanks
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    How much are you talking about total price. I just helped my daughter purchase a 2004 Sebring GTC Convertible. It has 7,600 miles, 8/80K certified for $15,800+ tax/title
    Personally? I'd definitely pay the $465 extra. Don't you also get more warranty coverage?

The better condition alone justifies the cost, never mind the lower miles.

-juice
    The lower mile better condition one has no warranty for $465 less. It would be $10,600 with 15K miles.

The other one would come with 3 month/3k mile bumper to bumper. Then 8yr/80k miles on drive train items.

Thanks
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    If the lower mile one is at a Chrysler dealer see if it can be certified. I believe there is a fee of $265 or so to get a car certified. If it can't be certified it may have been in an accident as one of the requirements for certification is passing a history check through that online service, is it Carfax?
    That's a bit odd. A carfax is probably a good idea.

-juice
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    there may be other things that drive the price up as well. I don't recall the exact specs, but brakes and tires have very strict limits - if they are worn on this vehicle they would have to be replaced (big $$ cost at a dealer). Maybe the way to go to try to keep costs down is to get a carfax (generally a good idea) and to ask them to run it back through the shop as if they were certifying it - using that recon. checklist. Look at it. Maybe the extra cost will be just the cert fee, maybe brakes, tires, etc. I'd recommend weighing weighing the total cost (fee+parts and labor) against the cost of an 8/80 powertrain warr. Whatever you do, consider all possibilities - it may be that you can get an extra warr. for the same as the total cost of the cretification.
  • ladreamer77ladreamer77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am brand new here and I am shopping for a Sebring convertible. My question is what is the differnce between LXI, LX, Touring etc. I also have a question regarding purchasing a 2004 rental versus new with the current $3000 rebate. There seems to be some pretty good deals on previously rented 2004's going for about 15-16 thousand range, with miles between 12-25000. Is it wiser to purchase slightly used or brand showroom new with the rebates? If the rentals are the better deal, I would definately get an inspection done before purchase, as I am not auto savvy by any means. Thanks to anyone who will reply.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi ladreamer:

You don't have to link anywhere else to get good information. Edmunds has the best site available for checking on models, pricing, cost to own, etc.

You can start right here:

http://www.edmunds.com/buyguide/sedan.html?tid=edmunds.h..buyguid- ebox..1.*

And then come back to us in this forum for any further questions.
    Can anyone tell me how this engine has performed for them? I am looking at a 2003 with the 4 cylinder. Thanks
  • steved1steved1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased an 04 LXI Convertible that was a Florida rental car.

First, get the 6 cylinder. Even with the 6, this car isn't fast. The 4 will be lethargic and fell like its working hard all the time. Look for a GTC, it's got the 6 with cloth/vynyl interior and is only a nominal price premium.

Basically, the LXi=Touring

Here are my thoughts. A new 04 Touring will cost an aggressive negotiator $22,000 to $23,000 net of all the rebates. A rental return with 15k to 20k miles will run the same buyer $16k to $18k. That's a pretty compelling savings.

The interiors looked nearly new in 20 or so rental returns I looked at. As dealer resales, the exteriors are in good shape though there are a few nicks and dings as you would expect.

One knock on the Rentals is that they all seem to come with the Vynyl roof which, IMO isn't nearly as nice as cloth.
  • marleykcmarleykc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 convertible with a turn signal problem. The rear turn signals work intermitantly (sp?). I have replaced the bulbs but still have problem. I like to try simple repairs myself although am not that skilled at electrical issues. I also like to have an idea what the problem is before I take it to repair shop to avoid random replacement of whole units. Any ideas will be appreciated.

General background, I bought the car used at 64,000 mi. Drove it until 95,000 mi. Replaced timing belt, water pump and shop found several correded parts that needed to be replaced at additional cost. Teenage daughter now drives the car and loves it, but of course I want to fix the turn signals.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Try replacing the turn signal relay. A cheap and easy thing to replace. Other possibilities are a bad switch or poor ground. But the relay is the most likely culprit when an intermitent failure is occuring.
    Has anyone notice/wondered why the bumper looks 2 different colors on most if not all of the 01-04 Sebring Convertibles. There is a dividing line and each half appears to have a a different color. The different colors revers if you move from side to side, or straight from the back. Doesn't make sense that they allow the lighting addect the look. Am I crazy?
  • ausjamausjam Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, I bought a 2004 Touring model that was a rental in Florida too. The car had 13,332 miles when I purchased in September, and I paid $18,200 for it. So far, I am enjoying the car, but I've noticed that sometimes, not always, when the car idles at a stop light, it sounds like it wants to stall. Has this ever happened to you?
    Is it a good idea to treat the canvas top with a sprayable water repllent such as Scotch Gard? This being my first convertible, I am not sure whether any additional care is required for the top.
  • sweetvixensweetvixen Member Posts: 2
    I'm negotiating with a dealer for a Sebring. I just love the car...it's the gray blue with a black cloth top. The exterior seems to be in excellent condition. I haven't really seen the interior yet. The asking price is $13,994 and I am offering them $13,000 and asking them to pay the balance of my loan on my 2002 Mustang GT at $17,800. My car has 29,000 miles on it and the Sebring has 38,000. The dealer only wants to give me $14,500 for my car which is highway robbery. Any negotiation suggestions? I live in Colorado and winter's coming so a convertible will be harder to sell. I'm meeting with the salesman on Thursday. Thanks.
    Sorry to say, but the salesman knows you want the car badly enough to trade and he probably thinks you are unwilling to wait. My suggestion is to sell your car privately (you will get a better price) and bring cash to the dealer. He will be more willing to deal with you & you may get the car for less than $13K. If you can't wait for the car, you will pay $$.

Just my 2 cents...
  • tommvtommv Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Limited, and in the owner's manual, it states that the top can be treated with a fabric protectorant. Scotch Guard would certainly be acceptable; I went heavy duty and used Bridgepoint fabric protectorant, but use at your own risk. It is for professional use only.
  • sweetvixensweetvixen Member Posts: 2
    You're right. I took my car in today and the dealer offered me 2k less than over the phone! What does he think I'm an idiot? His Sebring is nice and he's willing to sell it to me for 11k so I am getting the financing all the way up to the full retail price, paying down my loan and selling my GT privately. I figure he's still making 2k on the the Sebring and I'll make enough on my car to pay it off. Thanks for the help!
    I got rid of my 96 Sebring JX Convertible with 95,000 miles.

Went with a 2004 Sebring V4 basic convertible. Cloth interior. Silver with a black top. Only 9500 miles on it. Really really perfect inside and out. 2 yrs 4 months to go on bumper to bumper plus it included Certified 8yr 80K warranty on engine , transmission, power train type things.

Paid $13,000 hope I didn't overpay but I sure like it so far.
    Thanks for the input. The scoth gard I ended up using was for outdoor fabric with UV protection I had it on hand & its getting ready to pour out here in CA. It went on evenly & left no marks or stains. I will look into a more robust protectorant for my next application.
    The temperature gauge on the 2004 Sebring Convertible I got recently is running one notch below the mid point which seems to be warmer than my last Sebring.

Is that where it should be if not what are common causes? Thanks
  • jeanrosejeanrose Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 LIMITED SEBRING CONV. I SAW ANOTHER WITH A WINDSCREEN BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THEY MAKE THEM FOR THE 2000 OR WHERE TO PURCHASE ONE IF THEY DO? CAN ANYONE GIVE ME DIRECTION AS TO WHERE TO LOOK. I LOVE MY CAR AND WANT TO MAKE AS MANY IMPROVEMENTS AS POSSIBLE. WE HAVE TWO SEBRING CONVERTIBLES IN THE FAMILY AND THEY ARE THE BEST FOR COMFORT AND DRIVE LIKE A DREAM. THANKS FOR ANY IMPUT.
  • gchildgchild Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sebring convertible. My rear window smashed out the other day when I was just putting it down. Is this something that occurs sometimes?

Also, I have gotten it fixed, but when I put the top up, it doesn't come as close to the windshield as it used to. The result is I have to really pull down hard to latch it. Is this normal as well? I'm afraid it's going to put undue strain on something and cause more problems.

If anyone has any insight or answers, that'd be great... thanks
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    As the colder weather approaches, the cloth and the vinyl both tighten up. It sounds like this may be what's happening when your top is down. We always advise our customers that if the top seems to have shrunk due to cold not to force it into place as damage could occur. In the northeast, where I am - this could be your issue lately as it has gotten into the high 40's and 50's.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Neither the cloth nor the vinyl should shrink or tighten up above freezing temperatures -- especially the cloth. I will admit I know nothing about the contraction and expansion qualities of cloth or vinyl, but I believe cold (extreme cold) and heat really only affect metal contraction/expansion (as opposed to wood or concrete). That's why they leave a space between the rails on a railway track.

Perhaps if the material were wet, the freezing temperatures could cause the material to be less pliable and therefore cause a tightness in the top. But this would not be an issue in the high 40's and 50's.