Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Chevy Silverado vibration

Comments

• doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    Im so sorry you had to cancel your order. But I post on all sites for those who do not read every site. Roger do every one a favor and go ahead and re order from a good dealer. You been pissey ever since you had to cancel. Really look at what you just wrote and think about why. Does that no seem to be a bit childish.
  • espdixieespdixie Member Posts: 25
    You guys need to read the title of this area...Silverado Vibration Probelms!! Not bad vibes between you two guys. You need to take up your personal problems with Dear Abby.
  • rshornsbyrshornsby Member Posts: 200
    Not at all. If anyone gets any of these posts they get them all.

espdixie..you are right, vibration problems. So why did you post the last message?

Have a nice day.....
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I happy to read about your good experience! Keep it up. Sounds like a nice truck. (I think you should get the seat looked at though.)
  • al2al2 Member Posts: 73
    So Doudis is elated and posts everywhere and Rog H. is miffed at this and hits the post button twice, all under 2000 Chev vibrations.
    Well, I just posted about Doudis' good news and my order, then scrolled down to this post and see 6 more posts supposedly about Chev and, therefore, GMC vibrations.
    But it turns out to be nothing at all about vibrations (sort of like that famous topic "Silverado Frame Failures"). Meanwhile, I've had heart failure believing that a topic about vibrations is really about more shake, rattle and roll, not about Doudis inadvertently stirring up a hornet's nest over too much enthusiasm over his new baby.
    Perhaps we should all chill a little except me of course since I obviously have a perfect right to pace the floor and chew my nails hoping that my new truck is as good as the one Doudis seems to have.
    As I've said before, it is not the wait I mind as much as the worry about quality.
  • doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    Really guys I was just trying to give those who were as worried about their new truck some positive feedback for a change. As for those who didn't like my post T.S. Grow up. I'm happy and it shows. For those who have positive things to say, thank you. St. Louis, what an intresting year.
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    Anyone know how that feature actually works? Could it (defective one) cause a towing vibration? One that would cycle in and out?

The tow/haul program/feature is the only thing that hasn't been checked on my truck for towing vibration. Anyone know how it's connected to tranny, etc.?

Thanks John
  • samrabbitsamrabbit Member Posts: 23
    John it electrically alters valve body in trans raising the shift points to a higher rpm. It is not automatic switching between modes as it is an electrical signal which alters the shift points. Do not believe computer is involved just fluid pressure routed thru the valves is all. Fluid can take two paths operated by electric gate (tow/haul switch).My two cents.
    Thanks for info.... I noticed, while testing my towing vibration with a trailer, that the vibration will come and go. Feels like it's hitting a bad section in something. However, this is my second transmission and driveshaft so I wouldn't think it would be a tranny or shaft problem.

Anyway, I'll play with the tow haul button tomor. and see is anything changes. I didn't think of tow haul problem until I finished towing.

Thanks for info. again........ John
  • tburns2tburns2 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 chev crew cab dually with a vibration that starts at 25 and goes up for as fast as you go. we have had it in the shop 6 times and have had new tires(michelins) put on. we have been told the dealer can't fix it and it's a comfort thing but under a load the vibration is worse and we have already had ujoint replaced at 1,963miles. any suggestion?
    Who told you the dealer can't fix it?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    launch shudder; where there are no vibrations at any speeds? Or are you all working on buybacks?
  • kingfishguskingfishgus Member Posts: 112
    Launch shudder is better than it was. No load after springs and shackle replacement. I notice shudder more with trailer in tow.
    I'm still vibrating at 65-80 mph, appears dealer gave up on fixing, got a BS answer and they performed no work last trip.
    Called 1-800 Chevy customer service and opened an official case with them to get into buyback mode. They were supposed to call back and didn't. Called them again 10 days later. Nobody did anything with my case, just left it out there with absolutely nothing done on it. Same Old Stuff.
  • kansankansan Member Posts: 115
    Espdixie posted that changing the Goodyear Wrangler tires manufactured before October 99, date code the 40th week of 1999, with ones manufactured after October 1999, date code the 45th week of 1999, took care of his vibration problems. My new replacement Goodyear Wranglers finally arrived (it's been over 2 weeks since they were ordered), however, I checked the date codes and they were date coded the 12th week of 1999. This means that Goodyear is still selling the tires they know to be defective, probably trying to recoup the cost for manufacturing those defective tires, and probably hoping that people will get tired of messing with it and give up and buy different tires. Isn't it illegal for them to sell a product they know was defective, and what should be my next move? If Espdixie reads this it would be helpful if you could forward me the names and numbers of the people you talked to at GM and Goodyear about this problem.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ken
  • tburns2tburns2 Member Posts: 2
    have any of you guys heard about this vibration in the dually
    Ken,
    I can't find the # for GY but it was the 1-800 Customer Service #. I spoke with several people and amazingly enough they all knew about the problem and explained it to me. Gm changed the spec in Oct. 99 so all tires before then probably will not solve a vibration problem. That explains why all the guys wiith '99's that have had 4 and 5 sets of tires still have the problem. If I were one of them I'd go back and insist on tires built after Oct 99. It seems to me that if GM changed the spec they are admitting the original one was inadequate and they should replace them. I now have about 700 miles on mine since they were replaced and all is well. There is road feel on certain surfaces but overall the problem is solved for me. The guys that have had tranny's, driveshafts, etc replaced are still likely to have vibes if they have the GY's built before OCT.....that explains why they do!! My dealer has been wonderful throughout this and the Svc Mgr has even been to a Silverado Vibe Class!! You are correct...my originals were date code 409 and the new ones 459...five weeks later!! If you can't get ahold of GY get back to me and I'll dig some more....I got the # from my local GY Store.

espdixie
    Thanks for your reply. I picked up the truck last night it it drives perfect so far, no vibration up through 85 MPH. I'll see what happens in the next 1000 miles or so, as others with the older Goodyear Wrangler replacements said it cured their problem initially, and then the vibration/shimmy came back after 500 to 1000 miles. Maybe I'll luck out, and the 12th week of 99 tire batch ended up being a ggod batch, but I won't hold my breath. I'll let you know what happens, and will keep monitoring this chat room for other breakthroughs and revelations.
    Thanks,
    Ken
  • lincoln5lincoln5 Member Posts: 40
    My 99 reg cab long bed Sierra had Wrangler ST's and the 60 to 70 mph vibrations problem. The dealer swapped them out for another set of Wranglers on Sept 10th 99 and the vibration went away. So I have to question the story that espdixie is being given by Goodyear. They may have changed specs but some of the tires made before October were okay. I suspect only a portion of the tires were giving a problem and on occasions the dealers exchanged tires without knowing if the new tires were okay or not. I have a pretty good dealer and still there are problems with communications between the various people in the chain of command.
    Many folks had vibrating General's, so it's not just the Goodyear.
    Talked to Chevy Customer Service to get a status of my complaint. I was told Chevy has cancelled the buyback program for trucks because it is not a safety problem and will cause no abnormal wear on the trucks. Chevy says their technical assistance is working on the problem and are working toward a resolution by the end of March.
    I think they've been working on it for about 19 months already, what makes them think they can fix it in another month or two?
    Looks like we're hosed again, because folks were letting the dealers try to fix because the buyback was always an option if they failed. No more.
    There's always the lemon law to fall back on isn't there? If they can't fix it after a certain number of tries, try the lemon law and make them buy it back.
    To all,
    I am aware that the Generals also have the problem!! BUT...on 2000's General is no longer a supplier for the 235 x 75 x 16's that are on my truck so it wasn't a player in the conversation. When someone refers to a spec that refers to a general soec for all tires...it says that the tire has to be within a certain roundness and sidewall firmness/hardness. GY is the ONLY one that has built tires to that spec at present. Prior to Oct it was possible, but not likely that any tire met the new spec.....because the roundness CAN be effected by frequency of the mold being cleaned and other human factors. GY didn't, nor did I, say NO tires prior to Oct met the new spec but rather that ALL tires after that did.....understand now? While I was waiting for the replacement tires I spoke with GY, Micelin, & BFG and ALL of them said that currently they had no other tire that was suitable for the new GM spec on the 2000 Silverado. I asked GY about upgrading to one of their better lines and they said they didn't recommend it. If you read the article on the DUNLOP HOME page on troubleshooting tire vibrations you will understand what the problem is. It is NOT defective tires it is tires with heavy and/or light spots in the sidewalls that are not mounted to to the proper relationship with the wheel. If a tire is real consistant it is much less of a problem than with one that isn't. If you are lucy enough to get a tire fresh out of a clean mold then you might be ok.
    espdixie
    I'm glad to hear some success with the new tire specs.
    I will still contend that the vibration is caused by some design or manufacturing problem, not the tires, although I will admit that by getting "perfect" tires helps the situation alot, maybe to the point of disappearing the vibration. The real problem is that the truck is way too sensative to the tires, because all the other vehicles on the road manage to get a smooth ride out of wide range of standard production tires. Even though the vibes are fixed by perfect tires with perfect balance, I believe the vibration will return as soon as the tires wear, since all tires wear unevenly and somehow get out of balance. What would feel like a slight out of balance condition on another vehicle will feel like a major one on these trucks. That accounts for the reports that after tires and balance, the vibes disappear for 300-500 miles, only to return. Other vehicles will run smooth for a few thousand miles before needing to be balanced.
    If you accept that hypothesis, Chevrolet is barking up the wrong tree with the tires. They're treating the symptoms, not the problem. That will provide some temporary relieve, but it's not permanent, and not the fix we deserve.
    21,000 miles, no vibes!
    I now have 900 miles on the replacements and no vibes!! If you read bac aways I think I said that the Silverado Is sensitive to vibrations due to the extremely stiff frame. I also stated that i was concerned about when the tires need replacing. Read #412....NO VIVES. My son-in-law has 4K on his 2000 with NO VIBES....his date code is 469. No one is denying there have been problems but give the dealer a chance with the NEW tires and insist on tires that meet the new spec.....you might noe be so bitter then!!
    By the way....I'm not a typist so please forgive the typos!!
  • jones34jones34 Member Posts: 9
    Concerning noise at take-off, I had my 99 xcab 4x4 in for a check engine soon light problem and while in the shop they changed the transfer case fluid. I don't know what they put back in it but there is no noise at all now when I start up and I always thought it was in the rear end. It seems there was a service bulletin put out on it.
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    Severe vibrations - fixed by probably softer tires? Surely GM has addressed this problem by now - I know the folks that bought 1999 models will never get it right - but, by now? I have driven many trucks - all 4X4 - for hundreds of thousands of miles. My idea at this point: the tires are compensating for another problem that may never get fixed. But, the tire will probably tell you the answer too. Not likely to stay in blanace for long if there is any other type of problem. Good luck folks - I think you need it.
    I think the problem was solved with stiffer tires, not softer tires. I think this because with my original set of tires the vibration would initially go away when it was colder outside, which suggests that the stiffer the rubber (the colder the rubber gets the harder/stiffer it gets)the less they caused the vibrations. I also read in some other posts that letting some air out of the tires made the vibrations worse. I think the softer rubber is less stable and evidently wobbles at higher speeds more, which causes the vibrations.
    Anyway, whatever the problem was it sounds like the measures taken in October 1999 corrected the problem.
    By the way, I've got about 150 miles on my replacement tires (GY Wrangler STs), and haven't noted any vibrations yet, but continue to monitor them closely as they were made the 12th week of 1999.
    Ken
  • g8trg8tr Member Posts: 77
    That's only because I just received my letter from the BBB Autoline folks and that I won my hearing. The decision of the arbitrator is binding for the manufacturer. He based his decision on the fact that the vibration has a detrimental effect on the value of the vehicle. The last nail in the coffin was the independent technical advisor who felt the vibration and stated that the cause was a manufacturers DEFECT. I will get my money back plus tax, tag, title, and the interest that I have paid out on the loan. This amount is reduced by the mileage (usage) at the time of the hearing. I have (but not much longer) a '99 Sierra SL reg. cab., auto, 4.8L, 3.42.

NO MORE SHAKES, PINGING ENGINE, HARSH SHIFTS....
    Did the new fluid fix the launch shutter? If it did, what kind of shutter did you have?

Thanks John
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    ......are you leaving GM products in the dust or willing to try for a 2000/2001!
    (I gave them another chance) after I won my NY state lemon law case on my 86 pickup, then ordered a first year run of 88 1500 Ext. Cab that took 17 weeks to obtain. Iv'e had that till I ordered my Y2K 2500 2WD

No Regrets on that purchase in 88.

Ray T.
    With all of the negative talk about '00 models and the vibrations they are having, I am not willing to take a chance on getting burned again. I can't afford to ($$)! Even if GM says they are working on a fix for the problem and it will be available in March, after working on my truck for nearly 7 months, I'm not too confident that the fix is for real. I'm gonna take the money and run back to Ford.
  • jones34jones34 Member Posts: 9
    I have no noise at all when I start out now. It sounded like a bad u-joint or too much play in the rear end. Whatever it was, it is gone now just by changing the transfer case fluid. I didn't ask a lot of questions but after driving it I probably will when I get back to the dealer.
    Glad that's it fixed. I think I'm thinking about another problem (launch shutter). I've never been able to get rid of the the take off (launch) shutter on my 00 model. Feels like rough start up to about 15-20 mph. Not too bad if I slow start.

Anyway, it's a problem I can live with right now. According to the dealer, the new leaf springs that corrected the 99 launch shutter, doesn't apply to 00 models.

Thanks ... John
    Just go out and buy a nice F-150 - doesn't matter about tires or gearing, or transmission or choice of V-8 engines. You would be much happier.
    Yeah.....buy the Ford if you like piston slap and 14 mpg. Got a couple of friends that the old, "been there done that" applies to. Both have (had 4.6 L's). Now one has a Dodge and the other a Chevy. Guess what....the Dodge shakes !! He says the dealer says they are having tire trouble!! No ain't that a trip !!
    How much did they nail you for mileage charges? if you don't mind me asking?
    Right at $2300. I had 15,100 miles on the truck at the time of the arbitration. The amount is calculated by a formula in the Fla. Lemon Law. I don't know right off hand what the formula is but I can post it later if you want. I was reimbursed for tax, tag, and the interest that I have paid out on the loan. I was not reimbursed for the topper and trailer hitch that I have on the truck. I'll have to sell that on my own. The check is not in my hands yet so this story is not quite over.
  • gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2000 LS 2500 6.0 liter auto 4x4 ext cab shortbox,3.73 rear locker. It has a tick in the motor on cold starts, it now has 6000 miles on it, it sounds like lifter tick but it seems to be lower in the motor, and it only does it cold. I can let it warm up in the morning for ten minutes and it still there. Afer you drive five miles or so it is gone. Any ideas
    Thanks
    Cam
    Sounds like you may have a bad lifter in the bunch. Now I wonder what the service dept. is gonna tell ya???

Ray T.
  • ericrantanenericrantanen Member Posts: 1
    Are these vibrations only happening on the short wheelbase extended cab models? I'm guessing that it is from the driveshaft angle, and that the problem would be much less likely to manifest itself on a longbed model, either reg or extended cab.

I'm looking at the 2000 Silverado, considering the 2500 excab longbed as a tow vehicle with the 6.0, man trans, 4.10 gears and 2wd. It looks hard to beat from the sales literature.
    Somewhere I've seen some posts on how different oil filters can let the oil drain down and cause some startup noises. Everyone seems to like the Delco filters and I think they said it they will eliminate some of those cold start noises. Look around some in various threads here. May be under maintenance section. I had a Ford 302 that would make various noises with a Fram but they stopped when I switched back to Motorcraft. Don't know why, but it worked so I stuck with it. If you don't have a Delco filter you may want to try switching back. Also, you may get some better responses in the Silverado VI thread other than this one, which has been about driveability type vibration problems.
  • rshornsbyrshornsby Member Posts: 200
    What is your e-mail? I will send address for Oil Filters Overvies.
    I only use the AC Delco filter, also this noise is not just at start up, it is a cold running noise, if i start the truck and let it warm up for 10 minutes it is still doing it after the 10 minutes. As soon as the truck fires it jumps right up to 50-60 psi on the pressure gauge so i know its getting a good pickup. After you drive the thing 5 miles or so it goes away, i do not how soon it goes away driving because i can not hear it in the truck, you can only hear it outside.
    Thanks for your input.
    Cam
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    an exhaust leak that disappears when heat expansion closes gap in exhaust manifold. Just a thought. I don't know why but whenever someone says ticking I think of exhaust leak.
    Or it could be something more serious that just hasn't reared it's ugly head yet. Take it back to dealer let it sit overnite & have them start it up cold to hear what you have been hearing, you might want to be there when they do, and go from there.
    Whatever it is it does not sound normal from your description.

Ray T.
    This is amazing....I just got back from getting my first oil change at the dealer and the Svc Mgr asked if I was going to use synthetic oil. Since he has a 2000 Silverado I asked if he was??? That led us to the discussion about discussion about a customer with the tick you describe...Only there cold and disappears after a few miles. The guy was using Mobile 1 5-30 and then tried 0-30 (I think he went the wrong way ??) Any how....The SVC Mgr was at a conference of local dealers and one stated that he also had this problem and fixed it by putting different part # AC Oil filter on it. It seems that the all don't have the anti siphon valve in them and he put one on that did...problem solved! My dealer then came home and called his customer, replaced the filter, and no more tick !! The dealer that told mine about the fix origionally is Sandy Sansing in Pensacola, FL.....might be worth a call to see what filter he put on ????
  • rlswarinrlswarin Member Posts: 5
    I have driven several Silverado pickups and returned one because of a cold weather knock in the engine. Still have not purchased another truck but want a four door model. The dealer brought one over to my house on Sat and the drivers door would not close without slamming. I agreed to buy the truck and when my wife and went to pick it up I had her test drive it and when we got out the passenger door would not close without slamming it. The alingment was off from top to bottom. I wonder if the frame twist when driving or just an adjustment needed on both sides, seems odd to me. I refuse to take delivery until the weather here cools back down and I can check for the cold weather knock in this 5300 engine. I really want this truck, but, they costs to much to buy trouble. Anybody else had this problem.
    Did you guys forget that you just bought a very expensive new vehicle? Did you forget that it should be working like a new, finely engineered vehicle? And, then I guess I can't help myself again - why did you buy it anyway. Just been noticing the used car lots in my area - truly filling up with the new model GM trucks. If you wanted to buy this problem, buy a used one at a hefty discount. I have no idea how many problems they have with these vehicles, just still suspect that the foam-filled frame that is oh so rigid at first - might not be so rigid after a few miles with the weight of a truck. Sure thought they would have at least tried to fix the frame by now. The engines are another matter entirely.
    Thanks to all who have replied on my ticking problem. I am using the ac-delco that was speced out in the manual, i assume that it is a anti siphon but i am not sure. I guess for $5 it is easier than going to the dealer and being without a vehicle, especially since they will probably say "we did not hear anything" or "thats normal" I have heard both of these lines way to often with various Chevy dealers here in NY.

Does anyone know the filter number that is the anti-siphon one????
    Thanks
    Cam
This discussion has been closed.