Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• markinfriscomarkinfrisco Member Posts: 17
    Not real sure if this is a good deal or not.... I'll cut and paste the email.... I am also looking at a 2009 RL. Both #'s are here. Anyone that can give me information on whether or not this is a good deal or if I can do better....let me know...

--------------------------

It was a pleasure visiting with you earlier this afternoon. I have put together lease quotes on the RL and TL for you as follows

2009 RL Base model (includes wheel locks)
    Lease 36 months/15,000mi per year with $2,500 down ($1,000 lease loyalty from Acura and $1,500 from you) payment of $637 per month

2009 TL Tech Package (includes body side molding, trunk tray, all season mats, splash guards, wheel locks)
    Lease- 36 months /15,000mi per year with $2,500 down ($1,500 lease loyalty from Acura and $1,000 from you) payment of $517 per month.

Both leases include our making the final payment on your current lease for you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. We look forward to earning your business again.

My response was this:

Thanks for the figures.
    Can you give me information for the following:

• MSRP for each car
    • Selling price for each car
    • Residual % and purchase price at end of lease for each car
    • Money factor for each lease – My credit is the same as it was when I purchased back in 2006 – should be above 750.

His emailed response was:

Following is a breakdown of the details.

2009 RL
    MSRP-$47,440
    Sales Price- $40,134+ttl (with Wheel Locks)
    Residual Value 45% ($21,348). Money Factor 0.00215

2009 TL
    MSRP- $39,445
    Sales Price- $36,949+ttl (with Bodyside Molding, Splash Guards, All Season Mats, trunk Tray, Locks)
    Residual Value- 56% ($22,089.20) Money Factor 0.00215

On both vehicles American Honda is waiving the standard sales tax (6.25%) through the end of the month as a promotion. The money factor is a special rate used on both vehicles on the 36 month term. I figured your last payment ($699) into the numbers and selling price provided above.

Any thoughts?......
  • dmurphy53dmurphy53 Member Posts: 2
    i am in the bx ny looking to buy a 2009tl fwd w/tech
    i am going to purchase by the end of the month. Will go to CT or NJ
    i was quoted just under 35,000.00 w/destination not including TLL
    any dealer names would be helpful. thanks for any help
  • draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    I paid $34,480 a few weeks ago for the fwd w/ tech car. Dealership is Rallye Acura on Long Island.
    Good luck.
  • retireispretireisp Member Posts: 7
    Just got back from Rizza in Orland and got a price of $34,950 include Dest, I told them they were way off, so it looks like I will be going to McGrath in Westmont and on the internet to get close to the 33,500-33,800 mark. They said bring back a wriiten offer and they would match lees 100.
  • kimsdadkimsdad Member Posts: 8
    I posted a few times a couple of weeks ago....I did not get the BEST price that I have seen on this board but pretty close to it. I bought a new 09 TL w/tech FWD for $33800. I was quarter backing for my daughter who actually gets the car. Anyway, this price was for EVERYTHING except tax and license. Even got the 3.9% int rate that they had at the time. (I think that i saw a TV commercial the other day where they are offering 2.9% now) I flew from New Orleans to Louisville KY to pick it up. Salesman picked me up and we drove 10 miles to the dealership and he had the car ready to go under the overhang next to the showroom. Had a nice 700 mile drive back home but did not mind. This car drives better than the Audi and Merc that i had years ago. The tech pac is awesome! Sweet ride.

Bottom line is that if you can not get a good price locally, you can always try outside of your city or state for a deal. I just emailed 3 dealers and the Louisville KY dealer accepted MY BOTTOM LINE OFFER! Basically i said in my email that this was my offer and not to call me back unless it was acceptable. All of them called anyway, and I made it a short conversation unless they were going to take my original offer. I did not even have to haggle with Louisville salesman. He called to say he would take the offer. I have his name and number if you like. You can email me at mailitomehere@yahoo. commmm. Also, if you do not want to fly in to pick up a car, you can have it shipped by truck. You just look up "driveaway" in yellow pages and get one locally to arrange to have a truck bring the car back. I had a price of $535 to pick it up for the 700+ mile trip from KY to New Orleans LA, but picking it us was cheaper.

Finally, i would like to suggest that anyone that knows what kind of car they want, that they get an online "New Car Price Service Report" from Consumer Reports. It cost about $15 but it is a MUST if you want to know how much the dealer paid for the car and what price you need to offer. It shows you any "dealer insentives" or "holdback" that might be used to get the car for much less than invoice price. It even has negotiating tips etc......about 14 pages long. I THINK that it might give a break down of any options that you want to add on the car and cost and retail prices for each i THINK. I did not buy any options for the TL w/tech since it has everything you need already.

Good luck!
  • w_byrnesw_byrnes Member Posts: 20
    Just a heads up that Florida dealer also charges this notorious document fees. It is usually about $599. I had talked quite a few Tampa dealers and they don't look motivated to sell their cars. I got stuck at $34900+$599 (doc fees).
  • skodukulaskodukula Member Posts: 13
    All -

I picked up my TL with Tech from Continental Acura. They beat the best price by 10% of the difference. Here is the details.

MSRP - 39445
    Price OTD - 33384 (Incl.Dest, no accesories)
    Tax - 7.25%
    Doc fee - 150
    Title, Reg - 80
    Add below Accesories -
    Splash Guards Installed - $175 (excl.tax)
    Trunk Tray and Mats - $ 193 (Excl. Tax)

The above rate included the 2K rebate and the special financing. the title fee is less because of the transfer (Traded in - 2000 Camry (111K miles) for 3850). Overall the dealer is great experience, he was very patient to work with me and once i brought the low cost, no questions asked, they did not have the color and provided me the accesories at discounted prices.

Got the Black/Ebony - had 87 miles. Just drove 40 miles so far from last evening.. :shades: Great car.. waiting for the weekend awesome weather. Did not get extra warranty or paint protections. I would like to research and go back if needed. Let me know if you suggest paint protections or warranty.

Note - In Chicago the price you quoted is good, I was able to get close to $300 as my dealers intial price was way high and the 10% less match gave me the additional $300. So anything less than 33600 is a great price so far in the Chicago area.
  • nick81982nick81982 Member Posts: 14
    Got a first quote for 33,700 in SF Bay area. Is this a good price for TL-FWD/Tech.
    Possibility of going any lower?

Deciding between this and ES350 but now leaning towards TL because of feature/dollar.
  • mpcarmpcar Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am having the same problem in Tampa. It seems Ferman Acura is not really motivated to sell. I offered them 31896 + ttl on a base TL, they didn't take it. Have you had any luck in this area?
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    skodukula, great job.on the price. As for extra warranty, I got one once, and it never paid off. I had that car for 13 years.
    I don't believe in any paint protection. Consumer Reports doesn't either. Nothing is going to last as long as the 'guarantee'. Years ago there used to be a process called 'porcelainizing" which worked for awhile...until the paint underneath cracked due to different rates of expansion of the 2 layers. Research waxes, and enjoy the 'pleasure' of waxing your own car. (Its a pleasure to me, I know others disagree)
  • w_byrnesw_byrnes Member Posts: 20
    I contacted quite a few dealers in the area and I have a feeling that they may have some agreement among them. For TL+tech, there is no way that dealers in other areas would offer $33800 + TTL and Florida dealers stick with $35500 + TTL. This is just insane. I may have to get it from an out state dealer and have it shipped to me. It still saves me a grand.
  • retireispretireisp Member Posts: 7
    You are God

I wish I had checked this morning I could have saved a few hundred dollars. I got some internet prices, 33,998 at McGrath and 24,237 at Continital. So I called back Rizza and agreed to 34,200 with floor mats and splash guards , got color I wanted and just 3 miles on car, I messed up and didn't ask for bodyside mldg which I bet I could have gotten. Now they want 295 for them , they wouldn't move on that price so I didn't get them. Oh well, if I had only waited a day, so it goes. I would never have believed that you could get this TL with Tech for under 33,800, but you showed you can, great job. I pick mine up on Wed.

Enjoy.
  • skodukulaskodukula Member Posts: 13
    That should be good, the only other thing when you are picking the car is they will try to sell Warranty etc, based on other folks response just do not commit yourself for it as they will make it sound like you might need it.

Similarly for waxing the car option - Simoniz they will say its an $800 package. Just as Chasboy said enjoy the car driving and as well cleaning/waxing it. The other accesory i suggest is Trunk Tray. I got it at $30 and you have that on the Continental web site parts special price. I paid like $84. you have the rest needed on your car already. Just enjoying it is the best thing. In 2 days I drove close to150 miles and I love it.

Have a a great time.
  • toby08toby08 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a used 2005 TL with 73000 miles and the Dealer is asking $11,000. I used to own a 1996 Honda Accord EX which gave me zero head aches and ran very well up until I deployed overseas last year. 260,000 miles was the last reading before we parted. After a year of driving around in a 53,000 pound truck in the blistering heat, I would like to ride in something smooth and easy. I am looking long term, especially with the economy being what it is, and have a tight budget towards my next car. Is this a good buy, and being a Honda product, are they as reliable? Any help is appreciated, Thank you for your time.......
  • umalum1990umalum1990 Member Posts: 9
    What is the realistic target price that I can expect to get this car for? I live in South Florida (Miami area) All I hear from the dealers is that the SH-AWD is limited production, not much dealing on price and also that the 2000 dealer cash back is not offered this month (one dealer told me that so far of 3 dealers I have seen, the other 2 didn't say yes or no)
    Go to this website and try scouting around for a true answer on the cash back, or else, go to Consumer Reports online. I paid the $14 for the detailed price report and it paid back in spades.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/793/releases/4899

That limited production line is a bunch of crap.

And...I have friends with a 3-4 year old TL and he and she love it. They replaced their other car with an RDX as well.
  • jpdisarrojpdisarro Member Posts: 33
    As long as the car has been well maintained, I think you will be very happy with the 05 TL. My family has three TLs, including an 05, and has been very happy with all of them. In terms of reliability, the only serious problem I could imagine is with the transmission, but the 05 transmissions are supposedly much more reliable than those from 2000-2003.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Nice link. Anything on Acura's first quarter sales (Jan - Mar, 09)? Nice to know these things when one is negotiating with a dealer.
    Thanks Ceb, I know there's other stuff there, just need to follow all the links.
  • dmurphy53dmurphy53 Member Posts: 2
    did that price include destination???
  • newcarbuyer09newcarbuyer09 Member Posts: 4
    hi-
    here's what i paid for a 2009 Acura, SH-AWD w/ Tech:

Price: $37,000 (including the $700-ish destination fee)
    Doc: $151
    Plates: $80-ish for transfer, not new plates
    Plus suburb of Chicago taxes.

Floor mats were included but i had to fight for them. splash guards were not included. I checked the Acura website and they don't show the cars with spash guards. we'll see if i regret not having these..

anyhow, this looked like a good deal. most dealers i called said they could not meet $37,000. One dealer said he could get as low as "the high $37,000's". There was one who said he could go $36,900 but we did not discuss floor mats or splash guards, which would not likely have been included at that rate.

what do you think? i'm still checking the forums to see how i did; seems like there's not a lot of info on the SH-AWD's.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Where did you get such good prices for the SH AWD?
  • markcpmarkcp Member Posts: 11
    Just returned from Wisconsin with our new to us Acura TL Tech. All I can say is WOW. What a sweet car. Once I get through the 630 page owners manual and the 170 page navigation manual I will feel better. This was used Black on Black and under 1500 miles for $32900 plus tax, title above that.
    Congrats Newcar, did the 37G's include state sales tax? I paid $38995 including all of the taxes, (NJ Sales as well) including splash guards and wheel locks. floor mats were in there, and were not even discussed. My pretax price was $35999.
    If you go to the Acura website and do the 'build and price' scenario, when you click on splash guards, the picture will be blocked temporarily. Hold your cursor at that spot and click, the option box on and off, and you will see the splash guards. Hard to see, but it works. I like having mine. Nice thing is that they are installed with no drilling or other modifications.

As for the other people seeking AWD, my best advice is don't let the dealers bluff you. Tell 'em what you want and that's it. We allowed a bit of flexibility with color, but got exactly what we wanted anyway.
  • njalannjalan Member Posts: 70
    After several months of inactivity (simply not looking) I am back in the hunt for either a 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD with Tech or an Infiniti G37X with similar options.

Chasboy, thank you for sharing your purchasing experience with us. I live in central NJ. I am willing to go to any point in NJ to get the TL if the price is so attractive. Please provide the name and town of the Acura dealership. Also, does the $35999 before tax price include destination, cargo net, floor mats, etc? Does the $38995 price include the 4 year NJ registration fee in addition to all the taxes? Is this a cash deal without financing after the $2000 incentive or a financing deal without the $2000 incentive?
    Dang, sounds like a good deal for me.. the dealer who did that price must have been hurting for the sale
    I have heard yes from some people and no from others, and also that it was not available for the SH-AWD trim. Car Man, can you confirm or deny this myth? Thanks..
    acura in morton grove, IL
    wow Chasboy, you did great! i paid 8% tax on top of that 37,000. got floor mats, but no wheel locks or splash guards. But I just picked up a $40 set of McGards wheel locks today and am going to put them on this afternoon. (Don't know what the dealer would've charged for that, but probably more than that, especially since they'd be using it to increase the cost of the car, but i don't know i'm guessing.)

so just to restate it, i paid $37,000 which included the $750 destination fee, but then i had to shell out for the 8% sales tax as well as $150 doc fee + $80 license plate tranfer (or whatever it was, i forget exactly).

so your pretax price was 35999 ? that is phenomenal! congrats to you. i bought mine on the last saturday of the month, which i believe helps. i also called a bunch of dealers and said i'd come in today and make the purchase if they'd go at my price. i didn't really get into thinking about inventory cost, etc, b/c i suspect those #'s are fudged since everyone knows about them. but again, i may be wrong about that. thanks for the tip about the splashguards i'll check it out. hope i can live w/out em.. had em on my last one..

what i really wanted to know was basically what was the lowest price the dealer was willing to go TODAY (well, on that day) to make the sale. and i called around and offered each place about $500-1000 less than the previous best offer i had. and that's how i got here. it was a bit painful because they act like you're an [non-permissible content removed] if you offer them something a little less than they are willing to sell but obviously it's just business.

i think it doesn't hurt to be very nice and not have an attitude, and to show respect for their need to turn a profit.. also, if you're buying any extended warranty, those prices are also negotiable.

oh yes--- and finally, i LOVE the car!
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Certain Dealers here in the Northeast claims that all these "Chat Boards" does is create phony prices for serious car buyers. These guys here are tough to deal with, anyway, congrats on the new ride.
    thanks. knowledge is power so maybe that's why they don't like buyers looking at chat boards. one dealer i called even said they don't like to give out pricing info over the phone. a buyer only has so much time to contribute to the negotiation process because at some point you get a diminishing return (less of a reduction in the car price) for your investment of time. but knowing what other people paid for a negotiable-price item like a car or house is so essential. the dealer i bought from was generally very nice and not too bad to deal with. i respect their business-- i'm sure it's like anything else.. it's hard to make a buck! it's also a good investment (on their part) to maintain a good relationship w/ the buyer who is quite likely to spend a lot of money on the post-purchase maintenance, at least for the first few years...
    Thank you, Newcarbuyer09, for the name and town of the dealership from whom you purchased your TL. However, it is too far away from my place, central NJ. I am hoping to hear from Chasboy before I go to my local Acura dealership. I am sure his information (name and location of his Acura dealership in NJ) will help in the negotiation process.
    Njalan, I didn't know you were waiting for me!! I bought from Open Road Acura of Wayne. They also own Open Road Acura of East Brunswick, where my friends got their 2 Acuras in the last few years. If you go online and do email quotes, Paul Rubin is( or at least was when I bought) the internet sales manager that gave me the great price.
    Newcar, SO glad you love the car! You did right by getting the McGards. I'm very familiar with them. I had them on all my 4x4's. Price? Option cost on the Acura site is $81. INSTALLED on a 'pricelist' next to a TL in my dealer's showroom was $199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, when I made my deal, Paul Rubin said he would just throw them in.... :confuse:
    Billyperks, you are right. After another dealer 'discovered' he gave me a quote without including destination, he hemmed and hawed. A second dealer who I almost bought from, during a negotiation conversation asked me where I got my prices. I told him Consumer Reports. He went on to say: 'all these people getting prices from Edmunds don't realize that the information is not current and unrealistic'. I then repeated Consumer Reports-he then shut up and tried to find a different track, something that sounded like 'blah blah blah". ;)
    Hi Chasboy, thanksssssssss for your response. I actually just came back not long time ago from Open Road of East Brunswick where I was treated nicely by the manager but the general manager was very unfriendly to say the least. Since I did not get your response in time, I quoted the $37000 newcarbuyer09 paid instead of your $35999 pretax price to start the negotiation process. I told the manager I was looking for a cash deal below $37000. He said he would lose over $500 if he gave me the $37000 deal but nevertheless he introduced me to the general manager, who was SHOCKED upon hearing this price and was about 0.1% short of yelling: I cannot lose money on this deal, not for you. I would get fired. I said it took two sides to agree on a deal and I had no intention to force him to accept my offer.

You see, Chasboy, if I uttered the $35999 price you paid, I am afraid I would either be pushed out of the door right away, or he would call the police to escort me out. However, I had my chance of getting even with this guy. As I was walking towards the front door he offered to give me his business card. I said: It is not necessary. It would be discarded.

Open Road Acura of Wayne is far away from me. But if I can get the same deal as you did there I would have no hesitation going there. To save me time and gas, would you please give me their email address for internet sales? I really appreciate your help and timely response.
  • dbwtxdbwtx Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new TL Tech tonight for my wife. I did not want to get some of the items that the dealer installed as part of the pro pack and did get him to remove the trunk liner and all season floor mats but had to keep the wheel locks, splash guards and body side molding. Ended up paying $35,000 for everything before TTL. Not sure on the final price yet as we are deciding between buying it out right and leasing. The leasing is attractive as there are tax credits that make the tax 1.2% instead of the 6.25% here in Texas but the purchase financing is at 3.9% and I have got a good deal for my trade but not from the dealer so the lease payment and the purchase payment are within $10 but I pocket about $10K with the lease.
    Njalan, here is the address you wanted:
    openroadacuraw8@leadcrm.com

In my communication with them, I would let them know you were treated very poorly at East Brunswick. In addition, I would let that general manager flap and squawk all he wants. In fact, I would offer to supply him with the phone number of the police, the mayor maybe even the president.
  • ultracoolandultracooland Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Is the $34,480 an out-the-door-price (tax, destination charge, tag, license, fee, etc,.)? Thanks.
  • ultracoolandultracooland Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Is this a base + destination charge or is it a an out the door price, which includes everything...?
    Thanks.
  • cvv011cvv011 Member Posts: 8
    Considering to take a deal tomorrow for 33K + 2K TTL = 35K (no options). I have a trade-in in place, but do not price it at more then 5K. The final offer with trade-in from South Florida dealer is 30K. I might run by another dealer to see if they can beat it, but I doubt it. Most likely, will pull the trigger by the end of this week... hopefully the marketing support credit won't end on 5/4.

Considered Lexus ES as well, but the fact that there will be a redesign in a year scares me. What pulled me towards the TL in the end was the next generation design and the aggresive pricing. I bet the new ES will be sweet when it comes out in 2011.
    Below is the TL section of an email ad I got this morning from Open Road Acura of Wayne, NJ.

2009 TL
    STANDARD
    LEASE FOR: $333/Month!
    BUY FOR: $31,129!**

TECH
    LEASE FOR: $366/Month!*
    BUY FOR: $33,139!**

2.9% and 3.9% Financing Available

STANDARD AWD
    BUY FOR: $34,499!**

TECH AWD
    BUY FOR: $37,840!**
  • blooskiblooski Member Posts: 9
    Hi cvv011, I live in South Florida too, The lowest price quote I got is for $34,000, this includes dealer fee and dest. charge. Can you tell who is the dealer that gave you the price of 33K? I want to pull the trigger by end of the month.
    It has been over 24 hours since I sent an email to Open Road Acura of Wayne requesting a quote but have not received their response. Either the email address is wrong or they don't care. The manager at Open Road Acura of East Brunswick did offer invoice price less the $2000 incentive but it was still more than $1750 above the $35999 you paid for the same car.

Thanks for your updated info, Chasboy. I just have to do more shopping. Anybody got a price lower than $37500 pretax for the TL SH-AWD with Tech in NJ?
  • dshahsdshahs Member Posts: 35
    Hi all, I have been following this board for a while and it helped me with my purchase. The price was $38,000 which includes destination fee, wheel locks and all-weather mats. They would not include the trunk tray and mud guards so I skipped those. I really dont need it anyway. So it was $38,000 + 5% sales tax($900=38,000-20,000 trade-in)Title and license are included in the price of $38,000. So the grand total was $38,900. I got the Mayan Bronze with Parchment interior. This car is awesome!!!!! Thanks everybody. The dealer is Acura of Framingham in Framingham, Massachusetts. Very easy transaction over the internet and no haggle deal. My trade-in was a 2006 Lexus ES330 with 37,000 miles. To summarize $38,900 is OTD price. I am going to pay $750 dollars for them to paint the grill and the rear strip. Yep thats steep but it looks great!!!!
  • sdcaressdcares Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at a TL SH-AWD. Here in CA the dealers will paint the grill for free. You shouldn't have to pay the $750. Also where did you start with your asking price? I have seen a few people on this board reporting sub $38K prices for the SH-AWD....
    Thanks!
  • cvv011cvv011 Member Posts: 8
    The original deal didn't go through, when I came down to the Rick Case Acura to execute it. I wouldn't recommend working with them - there are multiple things they messed up for me today. So, I went back to Phil Smith Acura at Pompano Beach, and the Internet Sales Manager (contact me for a name/phone, as site doesn't allow direct reference) took a good care of me. I had a trade-in in the play that I got in my opinion extra 500$ for, Not considering a trade, the 09 TL Tech plus splash guards, cargo net, wheel locks, ended up being about 33,150, plus a dealer fee 599. With transfer tag, 6% tax, and about 5.5K trade-in, I got 30,220 OTD. I have a very good feeling that this was a rock bottom price for the dealer. To this point, I decided not to push down another 220$ for an even 30K deal, though I had it in mind in the begining.

Seems to be a great car... wishing to have some extra time to learn all the technology in it though. A little louder than I hoped, but the styling is a kill. I don't get why people paint the front/back steel Acura panels. Can somebody explain it to me?
  • blooskiblooski Member Posts: 9
    Your email is listed as private in your profile (may be I am missing something). Please send me the contact details of the Sales manager to my email address
    srinimar@hotmail.com
    If you do not mind can I use your name as a reference? If you are OK with it, let me know your name also.
  • draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    The $34,480 was for the car + destination only. Taxes are taxes and that was separate. There were also about $300 of nuisance fees (TTL, DMV, etc.) IIRC. Super car at a ridiculously low price for what you're getting.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A tv reporter is hoping to talk with victims of automotive scams and ripoffs in the greater Seattle area. If you have a story to share, please email jfallon@edmunds.com no later than May 15, 2009 and be sure to note your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sdcaressdcares Member Posts: 6
    TL TECH w SH-AWD in CA for $37348 + TTL. It is through the internet, how much lower should I try to go. Have not spoken to anyone directly yet only email.....
  • speedricerspeedricer Member Posts: 2
    I just got quoted 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech w/ HPT (19" inch Wheel and Summer Tires) for $38,000. Is this good deal or should I push for even lower price?