Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Hmmmm.. I've been here for over six years, and I don't know that...

You ascertained that in one day? Care to share an example?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dio1dio1 Member Posts: 11
    So far the best quote I have recieved was 37,770. on TL-SHAWD in Fl .
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    I paid $35,999 before NJ tax for mine.
    with Tech as well?
  • acurapriceacuraprice Member Posts: 91
    As a former dealer, I can tell you that sales personnel are trained to detect price tolerance. That is to say, they will always start high and see what you will tolerate. What you say as a buyer will determine what you wind up paying for the car, they are always checking (trial closing) along the way to see how serious you are. Forget sticker and invoice pricing, blah, blah, blah, it's all noise and posturing. Know where the car is priced (the average price people are paying for the model & package you want) before you ever walk in. Never give the impression you've decided on the car over all other makes/models. Always be the guy that's just comparing and looking for the best deal. Tell them things you don't like about the car, minimize the positive things they say about it. Give them the impression you can easily walk and don't really need the car.

Back to price. You find out the average price payed by asking them straight up...What's the average price this model w package x is going out the door for? See what they say. One guy at Vandergriff 6 weeks ago told me around $34,900 for TL w Tech. Right then I knew he had a $1,500 cushion to work with...$1,000 minimum. You ask the questions, don"t answer any of theirs with anything but...I'm just looking. Another way to find out pricing is to ask for 3 or 4 references of folks that just bought the model and package car your looking at. Call these people and ask what they paid, if they like the car, etc. Most will tell you, some will even give you/show you their paperwork. When your ready always say this is the car I want and this is what I will pay for it. Make sure and tell them you have 2 other local dealerships bidding and it's whoever comes with the best price first. Give them your number and tell them your committed to buy at that price.
    For 09's the deals are getting sweeter.

TL TECH with SH-AWD is going for $35,800 - $36,000

My buddy in Houston just got his this morning for $35,998

SHAWD-White diamond pearl, umber/black interior. He said they tried to put the standard wheels back on it, and he said he would walk the deal. So he got the full 19" w locks package along with side moldings, mud flaps, trunk tray. Basically loaded. He said the Michelin tires are so sweet around corners! NICE!!!
  • neimanneiman Member Posts: 6
    I would be very surprised if Mac Churchill was negotiating on price. I purchased my TL w/Tech for $34,600 on 3/31/09 and Mac Churchill would not come off their fixed price. I ended up purchasing at McDavid in Plano but gave Mac Churchill opportunity to beat McDavid's price but they said no thanks. And that was with 2k incentive in April.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    so are these prices good for leases OR purchases?

sounds really good to me! although, i just test drove a G8 and am drunk on torque... OMFG.... nowhere near as classy/luxurious as the TL, but sure was FAST.

I drove a TSX tech, then a used TL-S, then a new TL 4G. the TSX was nice and what I couldalmost describe as "cute". the TL-S was REALLY firm/stiff and quite fast. the 4G TL waas a base w/tech. realllynice, but felt floaty and squishy. more luxury and less sporty. way soft compared to the TL-S.

how does the TL SH-AWD drive/handle compared to the 08 TL-S???
  • robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    Excellent points. I find the longer you wait the more likely they start dropping to lower levels. Lets face it right now the car business stinks. If I cant make a sharp deal now, I never will!

Rob
    no, I didn't want to spend the xtra $$$$
    Probably had more to do with when you purchased than anything else. One month from another can be huge, let alone 3 in your case. These guys all get desperate at year end, month end, and particularly when car sales are off by more than 30% YOY. Mac Churchill himself called me when I was sitting down to eat at a restaraunt with my wife. He wanted to personally see if there was anything he could do to help me in purchasing an Acura. This was in the third week of May, told him my timeframe is late July before we will actually need the car.

Still tons of TL's sitting out there with no buyers in sight. Amazing what a bad economy can do. I might wait until the 2010's come in and see how nervous they get then. Happy shopping everyone.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    can you really get a 2009 TL SH-AWD for $36k?

if they are dropping the price this much on the SH-AWD, how cheap can you expect to get a base w/tech?

will that price be valid on a lease?
  • fanman168fanman168 Member Posts: 1
    i am in the market for TL_SHAWD. does anyone in Nor Cal/Bay Area know the price. i prefer non tech over with tech. i look at the inventory on edmunds. it seem like very little non tech SHAWD are left. PLEASE HELP!!!
    Salesperson at Vandergriff stated there was only $2,000 difference between SHAWD and Non SHAWD TL's. My buddy who just bought his SHAWD W Tech in Houston said the finance mgr mentioned after sigining that he was the first guy they went below $36K for. He told him the sales staff could go as low as $36K but not lower without help from mgt. He bought his for $35,998 to match another dealer.

So if they will go $36,000 for a SHAWD w TECH with 19" wheels

They will easily go $33,500 - $34,000 for TL w TECH
    Correction, he bought his TL SH-AWD w TECH for $35,898 He said Gillman beat Charlie Thomas by $100 down in Houston.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Are you sure about this because I was going to book a flight from Connecticut to Houston just to get the car at that price.I called Gillman and spoke to a Paul and he said that price is totally impossible for that trim level.
    Please be honest when you post here because buyers like me do not want to be led on a wild goose chase.
    Not surprised.
  • gorillamonsoongorillamonsoon Member Posts: 24
    Some of these prices seem very low, even for dealers looking to unload. I do believe that there is a dealer incentive or other Acura-to-dealer program going on as the prices are under invoice and holdback.

Based on the purchase of a TL and various prices received, you can probably get a TL base under $32K and TL Tech in the low to mid $34K range.
    Hey, I hear you. These guys can be tough and not everyone can land that kind of deal. Sometimes it takes you having to tell them, That's my highest offer, so I'm moving on - if you want to sell it, I'll give you until Friday (2-3 days) before I buy a different car for less. Sometimes they will call, sometimes they won't. Try this with several (8-10) dealers and you might very well get the deal....or very close to $36K for a SHAWD w tech.

If you want to give them their $1,500 profit, call Daryn at Mac Churchill. He said $37,500 is all day every day for TL w Tech SHAWD. Good luck.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    It really doesn't help posting unrealistic pricing. Those of us who're doing research are trying to get credible info are trying to find a doable number.

I've been looking at the TL for a few months. I like my local dealer. Bought from him before. He won't lose a deal based on realistic pricing. He'll even get real "skinny" on a deal. I approached him about that $36K pricing on an SH TECH I saw posted from the TX dealer. My dealer said he'd be losing money, a lot of money on that deal, and it made no sense, for any dealer.

I'm all about getting a good deal. But, if I were to take those quotes as gospel, made the trip to TX to get it, and find out it's not even close, I'd be upset.....more than just a little.

So, just a personal request, unless you've made a deal on any of these cars, and can credibly post it, please refrain. I don't mind of you say you made an offer, and it was accepted, or turned down.

But, it's not helpful to throw out numbers that have no basis in actual fact.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I agree completely.
    Chas.....I have used your buy number, but I really do want the tech package (although, I'm more likely looking for a FWD TL w/tech). I'm thinking that $38,000 number may be doable towards the end of the month on a SH AWD/Tech car....maybe a little under $38K.

But, although my dealer has plenty of stock, the sales manager at the dealership says there's no motivation for him to sell at or below invoice. But, he did counter with $38K. That tells me there's still some factory money available, at least locally. Even calling around to different dealerships within 250 miles of me, all balked at $37,500 and told me to buy at that price at any competing dealership.

Things change when you get in front of them. They'd probably be willing to do a little more horse trading if you're sitting in their dealership. So, somewhere between $37,800 and $38K could be doable.

Then again, maybe one of those TX dealerships will sell for that. But, are padding it in other ways, with other fees on the back end that you won't know about until you get ready to sign all the papers (padded doc fees, inflated wax jobs, etc....they may not even be including delivery in those prices). We really don't know. I'm certainly not going to go all the way to TX seeking that number, only to get there and find out it's either bogus, or there are other fees that they're adding to make up for it.

I do believe I can get pretty close to $34,500 on a FWD TL w/Tech, as those are much more plentiful.

I won't frustrate myself running around everywhere seeking a number that no one will realistically sell for, however.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    "Another way to find out pricing is to ask for 3 or 4 references of folks that just bought the model and package car your looking at. Call these people and ask what they paid, if they like the car, etc. "

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for any dealer to give out information about previous customers to any random customer who walked up. I know if I received a phone call from someone saying they got my private information from a dealer such as phone number and what I pay for my cars, I certainly would have a few words with that dealership and consider my legal options.
  • nkbuynkbuy Member Posts: 25
    Is 37000 for the AWD+tech a good price? They were willing to sell me for that price if i was picking from existing inventory on lot. This is in the sf bay area.
  • hokie28hokie28 Member Posts: 16
    Sounds good to me.
  • nkbuynkbuy Member Posts: 25
    i got quotes for around 33k for the fwd+tech and low 37k for the SHAWD+tech. Maybe we should try to coordinate and try to get a better price
    I called and expalined to the sales rep that on a particular forum, his dealership is selling the car for 36.9K.He took my infornmation and got back to me within the hour and said that number is impossble to get to.
    There are only two Acura dealerships close to me.....4 if I expand my search from where I live (SW OH) to Columbus. So, I've talked to all of them. $37.5K seems to be the "walk point" for them. I can get $38K. Might be able to get $37,700 if I work them a little bit.

$37K just won't buy that car around me.

If I expanded my search to include Chicago (about a 5-6 hour drive for me), I might be able to trim a few hundred more off that price. Then again, I could go to Chicago and come away empty handed, too. Point being, even if you have a deal you think you is firm from an out-of-town dealer, doesn't mean the deal won't have some surprises once you make the trip. You really don't know what the deal is until you get into their store, and look over all the paper work.

California's a little different. Many more dealerships. Lots more competition.

If they're offering $37K on a SH AWD w/Tech, I'd jump on it. Their eating into their holdback, which they don't (might not) like to do. Dealerships around me just won't do it. That could change once the end of the model year hits, and they still have a lot of '09s left, with '10s hitting the lot.

Just one caveat, the deal's not done once you agree on a price. Make sure you find out if the doc fees are padded, high margin accessories added, or any other "add-ons" before you sign papers.

Also, if you have a trade, they may be low-balling your trade to make up for anything they lose on the new car sale. Get 2-3 quotes on your trade from other dealerships to get a feel for it's true trade-in value.

There's lots of inventory around me. So, there isn't much of a desire for a dealership to do a dealer trade to get a specific color combo. So, it's not surprising they want you to take something they already have in stock.
    billy....don't know where you are, but I'm seeing the same thing. $37K won't get it done on a SH AWD-Tech. The dealers will usually say "we're close....come in and let's make a deal". They aren't even saying that. They're rejecting it with no follow-up.

I'll wait a month or so to see where things are when the '10s hit the lot. Might be an issue with color selection on an '09 at that point, but that's the risk I'm taking.
    When are the 2010 models of the SH AWD-Tech suppose to hit?
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    fees....that's why whenever I am buying a vehicle I simply tell the salesperson....give me your best price including any fees the dealership feels it needs to add minus TTL. Makes it simple for everyone.
    I am in CT and two dealerships here have accepted 37.5K but when I saw the poster Aucaprice number of 36.9K , I thought that was a good opportunity.
  • bw5556bw5556 Member Posts: 14
    Is there any advantage to waiting for the MY 2010 to be released before leasing a TL? I wanted to wait to see if the 2010 would get the 6AT from the ZDX but there's a dealer here with about 50 2009s on the lot.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    The residual should be higher on the 10, but knowing Honda they will raise the money factor as well, so it should be a wash.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    I love a deal, bargain, good price, whatever one choses to call it. However, there comes a time when the extra squeeze for a couple of hundred dollars may not be worth it, such as buying proximity, availability and so on. I have learned after buying cars for over 40 years, and for a good time under the tutelage of an expert that there is always 'that better deal'. Watch out for surprise fees, especially if you travel a distance. I had one dealer expect $150 more than another for the same 'doc' fee.
    FWIW, we love our AWD, and I wish everyone else out there to get theirs and enjoy it just as much. :D
    Sounds good. What dealer in Chicago, salesperson? Date of purchase?
  • robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    Never do a more than a 36/39 month lease. No benefit to you only the dealer. Also for me sign and drive only no 2K down for me. The economy stinks and people just dont have credit. How many deals do these dealers run and have a problem clearing credit. Especially on a lease that requires a higher score.

Good luck
    Rob
  • jmcmannisjmcmannis Member Posts: 39
    Man, I wish I lived where you guys do. Here in Pittsburgh they still don't want to deal. I'm still getting quotes around $40K for the SH-AWD with Tech. This is my top choice for a new car but at those prices/payments I don't think it's going to happen. I can get a lease on a MB C300 Sport 4Matic for over $100/mo less. Might have to go with that. I'll go into the dealer later this week and see if I can't work them down. Although even Edmunds is showing $40K as the TMV.
    I'd tell the dealer exactly where you stand. MB C300 for $100 less. See if your Acura dealers will move.
    Why don't you go for a G37x which could be had for under 36k?
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • hugh59hugh59 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I live on Long Island and looking for a TL with SHAWD without the Tech. Anyone know what I should expect to purchase for? Any leads on a good dealership?

Thanks,
    Rob
    You can check out the Greenwich Acura, I could have made a deal for 37.5K on the awd tech. so non tech models would probably be priced approx. 4K less.
  • bw5556bw5556 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, all.

From the quotes I've received so far, I think I will be able to get a good price on the car, but the money factor concerns me. Once I check into the Graduate offers I should be all set to work out a deal. I've heard that the credit tiering doesn't apply to the Graduate Program...to be continued.
  • jmcmannisjmcmannis Member Posts: 39
    Back in December when I first started my search I test drove the G35X and it was OK but didn't wow me like the TL did. Maybe I'll take another look at it. I really did like the dealership and salesman I delt with at Infiniti.
    I would like to know what people are getting in the northern virginia area for a TL with SH-AWD TECH.
  • magichourmagichour Member Posts: 3
    Does any of you know how much does AcuraLink (for real time traffic and weather forcast) monthly subscription cost? From Acura website, it says it charges "nominal fee" for Acuralink, how much is "nominal fee"? Would like to know before I purchase an Acura. Thanks.
  • draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    I think you misread the website. First of all the Acuralink is free. Secondly, the weather and traffic features are provided thru XM satellite radio and, after your three month free trial subscription expires you'll have to begin paying for this yourself. The basic XM service is supposed to be $12.95/month but you can get a promotional price of $77/year for the first year. Then the traffic/weather is $7/month on top of that (if you want to keep it...you don't have to).
    I hope this califies things.
    Good luck. I think the TL is a steal at what they're asking for it. I think it's easily worth $7-10k more than its real selling price.
    Looks like the best deal on a new 09 TL SH-AWD w TECH is going to be $37,500
    This is with the stock 18" alloy wheels, not the 19" HPT (summer tires).

Invoice is $39,871
    Less $2,000 dealer cash (still hanging around, even though it's expired)
    They will go $37,871.....but wait, there's more....
    Holdback money to dealer is 2% of invoice, which is $797.00
    Dealer makes $0.00 at $37,074
    Car can be had for $37,500......So, car cost dealer $37,000 - they will make $500 at $37,500.

McDavid in Plano Internet sales mgr called me back and offered Black w umber SHAWD/Tech, 19" wheel w summer tires for $38,500
    As a "former dealer" I would think that you would know that you have no way to know what the holdback is on a car unless you know how long the dealer has had it floored. After 90 days there is no holdback. FYI everything I read has Acura holdback at 3% of MSRP, not 2% of invoice.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    OK, so if it's 3% of invoice ($39,871) your talking $1,136. hold back. So if the car is less than 90 days on the lot, the dealer cost is $36,734. Either way, I'm thinking $37,500 is still the lowest deal your probably going to see.

Sales person at #1 volume Acura dealer in Texas (Goodson) said they will be the first to get a couple of 2010 TL SH-AWD cars in as early as AUG 1st, way before most dealers. He said the car is going up $300 on sticker, and they are getting rid of the Royal Blue Pearl for 2010. Wondering how they will deal on the 10's? Betcha $37,900 will still get it done.